Introducing our brand new website - Plex Blog

Introducing our brand new website

Wow, what a year it’s been for us.

Between new core features (multiuser, now playing, companion remote, media index files, Cloud Sync), tons of performance and stability enhancements, new platforms (Drobo 5N, FreeBSD, various other NAS devices) and apps (ChromecastWindows Phone 8, new Android app, new Google TV app, Plex Home Theater), we’ve been incredibly busy in 2013! (It’s also been an incredible year for the thriving third party Plex ecosystem, with the introduction of RasPlex for the Raspberry Pi, and PlexConnect for Apple TVs).

There’s been one last big thing we wanted to bring to you this year, and we’ve just finished rolling it out. If you look under your Christmas tree, you’ll see a brand new Plex website, which we’ve been working incredibly hard on for the last couple months. But it’s much more than a (badly needed) redesign; it’s a joining together of four separate pieces of Plex into a unified whole.

2013 12 30 at 2 29 PM

Before today, we had four completely separate web areas: the actual website, the place where you managed your account and servers (myPlex), the place where you went for Plex Pass downloads, and the place you went to organize and play your media (Plex/Web). This seemed like three places too many.

Now there’s just one place for Plex online: https://plex.tv (oh, yeah, we even got a shorter domain name because we figured typing four less letters would help prevent global warming). Let’s go over some highlights of the new unified experience.

First and foremost, we’ve done a ton of work to better explain what Plex is. Our hope is that a new visitor to our website can quickly understand how Plex can help them, and even people who have been using Plex for a while can get a great overview of features and supported platforms.

2013 12 29 at 6 20 PM

Secondly, we’ve integrated account management into the main site, so you can create an account or sign in right on the site. This also means that we can show Plex Pass downloads right on the same downloads page if you’re signed in.

2013 12 29 at 10 44 PM

The last part of course is the web app, and there are lots of good reasons to have it live alongside the website. We can share authentication with the main site, making it easier to launch it, and it makes things faster for people accessing servers remotely. We’ve been working behind the scenes on a brand new version of the web app, which is faster and prettier, and that’s the version we’re now hosting at https://plex.tv/web.

2013 12 30 at 2 31 PM

We’ve also worked on the first run experience. If you create an account and then download the server, there’s no need to sign in three times (to the site, to the web app, and in the media server). Last, but not least, we’ve improved the reliability of finding the media server on a local network. If you’re signed into Plex, it should Just Work, better than ever before. (We’ve noticed some issues with Firefox, which we’re fixing.)

On the support side, we’ve opened up an extensive help center to replace the aging (and occasionally decrepit) wiki. Our Ninjas have been working overtime to populate the help center with helpful and clearly-written content, and will continue to pull over anything needed from the old wiki.

In summary, this is probably the biggest step forward in usability and user experience that we’ve taken in six years. We’ve looked at every single aspect, from branding, to terminology, to naming, to color palette. We’re incredibly excited about the changes.

Since we’re also human, we couldn’t quite get everything done on time, and we’ll be continuing to update things (e.g. blog skin, forum skin, support skin). We also will be working on updating branding and terminology (e.g. no more “myPlex”) across all our apps. If you have feedback or suggestions, we’d love to hear from you!

We hope you’ve had a wonderful holiday season, spent lots of quality time with loved ones, and we’ll be back in the new year with lots more exciting new stuff from the Plex universe.

1. xbo December 30th, 2013 3:10 pm

Plex everywhere? cant find it on xbox live :(
    nice website, gratz!

2. Alexis December 30th, 2013 3:10 pm

Looks Nice. Keep up the good work! Have a happy new year.

3. krobi December 30th, 2013 3:16 pm

awesome, really really great. thx

4. metrocard December 30th, 2013 3:19 pm

I’ve been playing this weekend and have been very impressed with plex.tv. I’m a lifetime PlexPass’r, but would love to be able to have my shared users buy a PlexPass so they can sync from my shared library to their devices. Keep it coming!

5. achelous December 30th, 2013 3:23 pm

Its nice, but I really miss the yellow dot on unwatched episodes when you have chosen a season:/

6. VieraApp December 30th, 2013 3:24 pm

What happened to the developer Wiki? It’s automatically redirecting to the new support page, but it looks like a lot of developer documentation is now unavailable.

7. elan December 30th, 2013 3:25 pm

@achelous ~ it’s a work in progress, we’ll definitely add that :)

8. achelous December 30th, 2013 3:29 pm

@elan good :) Been using it togheter with my chromecast this holiday at my parents house, the streaming have worked perfect!

9. Mirabis December 30th, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice updates, hoping there will be a bigger recommendation page about the quality settings :)

10. Jacob December 30th, 2013 3:43 pm

You guys are truly spectacular. A joy to behold.

11. jamauai December 30th, 2013 3:51 pm

Looks great!

12. Marc December 30th, 2013 5:01 pm

Plex has changed the way of entertainment for my family and friends to enjoy their evenings. Thanks!!

13. mjbxx December 30th, 2013 7:14 pm

Is it possible to add information about Collections in the Media Preperation section of plex.tv? I had helped a new Plex member (https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/91142-movie-sequels/) to discover Collections. However, since Plex has replaced the wiki help page with plex.tv this information is no longer available. Sadly, I could not help one of the newest members to the Plex community inquiring about this. Please address this to whoever is in charge of plex.tv. Thanks.

14. wyldphyre December 30th, 2013 7:34 pm

The new look of the site and having everything all in one place is nice, but I can’t see anywhere to go to actually manage my local server. There used to be a link that would redirect you to http://192.168.1.3:32400/manage (which eventually got you to http://192.168.1.3:32400/web/index.html#!/dashboard) but I can’t find the equivalent anywhere.

Since the only way to really manage the server is now via the web interface I think you really need to have a link to access this interface in a prominent position.

15. otto-mate December 30th, 2013 10:35 pm

A vintage year from the Devs that has moved Plex from the best media server to a world beating ecosystem! Thanks guys and Happy New Year to all.

16. wally007 December 31st, 2013 1:09 am

… but, but this cant be….. I thought 2013 was ” the year we bring Trailers back? Bet on it! ”
    :-)

Happy new year !

17. Didier December 31st, 2013 2:57 am

I love the new Website. Keep up the good work team.

Would love to see a client for Xbox One.

Happy new year!

18. Arunas December 31st, 2013 3:33 am

This looks great and Plex have done tremendous job in the last year or so. However, I wish there was some sort of meaningful support for paying Plex Pass subscribers. Forums often help, but sometimes it’s not enough. I have a serious issue that forced me to go back to XBMC even though I pay for Plex. After a few suggestions in forums (that didn’t help) Plex ninjas stopped responding and now I’m on my own with not idea when or if the issue will be fixes at all.

I don’t have any issues with Plex becoming a commercial product, but if I pay for a product I expect slightly higher level of support…

19. cryptochrome (@cryptochrome) December 31st, 2013 3:48 am

Awesome guys. Good work!

Question: How does this “hosted” Plex/Web relate to my local media server? If I connect through the hosted version and play a video, will that actually be streamed through your servers? Please give us some technical details on how hosted Plex/Web interacts with our local Media Servers.

Thanks! :-)

20. Danny December 31st, 2013 4:22 am

Great work as always! I love the new site, and I accidentally stumbled upon it a couple of days ago, and fell in love immediately!

21. cryptochrome (@cryptochrome) December 31st, 2013 4:32 am

Also… the new Plex/Web (2.0.1) does not seem to have a preferences pane for Agent configuration anymore.

22. Lucas December 31st, 2013 4:36 am

Nice work! Will we be able to get the new version of Plex Web for local installation too?

23. BHD December 31st, 2013 6:17 am

Looks nice, when does that new web app interface comes to the server version?

24. Aaron December 31st, 2013 7:10 am

Looks fab. Quick question though… At the end of last year you outlined what you would do this year. One thing missing (that I really want) is trailers! I want to go through my movie library and be able to play a trailer to everyone in the room before we watch it.

Is this in the pipeline at all?

Thanks,

A

25. elan December 31st, 2013 10:08 am

@Aaron ~ the best laid plans of mice and men. Definitely on our list.

26. elan December 31st, 2013 10:08 am

@Lucas ~ yes.

27. elan December 31st, 2013 10:09 am

@cryptochrome ~ hosted site just hosts JS, CSS, etc. Communication and streaming is directly from server to client.

28. tkeeler December 31st, 2013 10:19 am

Where’s Barkley? Is he okay?? I’m concerned…

29. Jon December 31st, 2013 12:41 pm

The new web site looks great. However, there is a major problem when trying to use the forum. If someone has posted a specific link to a previously answered question, it does not take you to that question. You just get redirected to the main Plex home page. Will the links get redirected to the correct entry?

30. Radar December 31st, 2013 12:45 pm

And Barkley?

31. BC December 31st, 2013 3:45 pm

Integrated website is great, but for God’s sake, implement SSL from client/plex.tv to server. How has this most basic security issue not been handled?

32. elan December 31st, 2013 6:56 pm

@Jon ~ I’ve let our ops guys know, hopefully we can rewrite things correctly.

33. elan December 31st, 2013 6:57 pm

@tkeeler ~ he’s at the bottom of the new plex.tv page :)

34. elan December 31st, 2013 7:01 pm

@wally007 ~ it’s on our master list :)

35. elan December 31st, 2013 7:02 pm

@mjbxx ~ we’ll be moving over more of the content. In the meantime, you can use https://oldwiki.plexapp.com/index.php :)

36. kennova December 31st, 2013 7:03 pm

Site rocks, looking for to the new Plex Web experience. I agree with others that Plex has made my movie collection usable. I can’t remember the last time I sat through an FBI warning.

37. Fabio December 31st, 2013 10:16 pm

the new site is a thing of beauty! Great job!

38. shakey January 1st, 2014 1:51 am

Authentication is not shared between plex.tv and http://www.plex.tv (top link from forum page) – but really nice re-design!

39. Richard January 1st, 2014 3:56 am

To bad you still need to pay for the Apple app even if you have the membership :(

40. Ron Enderland January 1st, 2014 5:54 am

Guys, I just moved my Plex server from one computer to another. Despite following instructions as found here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/38952-ssd-and-plex-how-can-i-move-database/

The entire collection had to be rescanned. We’re talking 2000 movies/TV shows and about 30,000 music files.

I’m a Plexpass subscriber, and I would like to see some of my monthly contribution being used for a foolproof database backup/restore functionality to be added. Please?

41. OldDave January 1st, 2014 7:52 am

The new App look really slick, what happened to the remote control for my client on my mac mini part of the app? Do I have to be logged in or something?

42. Raghu January 1st, 2014 2:00 pm

great job guys, one of the best websites, it is really well designed & looks polished & rich.

43. mysterio21 January 2nd, 2014 12:58 am

Website looks fantastic, job well done!

44. Pit January 2nd, 2014 1:27 am

Wonderful job !

The new site is just beautiful and clear. The integration with the local Plex/Web interface is just amazing.

And the HTML5 video player instead of Flash player is just what I was expecting since months !

I am so happy to be a PlexPass-for-Life user !

Thank you so much for your work !

45. Martin January 2nd, 2014 1:49 am

As a potential costumer and a new Chromecast owner, I was confused when visiting the old Plex homepage before the holidays. I can confirm this was much needed and it’s an impressive rollout! I’ll definitely give Plex a go!

46. Andy January 2nd, 2014 7:07 am

I love the direction Plex is moving in… avid proponent of the updates and upgrades, it makes my appreciate my PlexPass all the more.

A few thoughts on the new PlexWeb if I may? Not sure this is the best place, but I know it is getting viewed fairly regularly :)

-Watched/Unwatched – amazing how you can miss simple things like a little orange dot :) Glad to know it is on the radar.

-”Details” view – I kind of liked being able to go get the episode information with a single click, while the episode was running. Now I have to open another window or close the running show to get it… feels like a step back.

-Keyboard Controls – no back step or forward step/jump?

-HTTP(s) in new web – is it pulling HTTPS from my server over this port? If so – LOVE IT – THANK YOU.

-Thumbnail on episode – in the epi info it is landscape – in the playback screen it is squished to “cover” style and really looks bad… I don’t see a way to fix? (New epi JPG?)

-Very sensitive fly in menus on playback screen – on the previous web player it only displayed the top and bottom controls when you floated over the video – now it happens just floating over the page. Which is really distracting when I slide over the window.

Not trying to be too critical – just found these in the first 10 minutes of use. Probably they were decisions to make the web player more friendly to touch interface or something like that. I’ll be happy to post to a UI forum somewhere…

Thanks for the Christmas/New Year present!

47. Sandro Munoz January 2nd, 2014 7:49 am

I have shared my TV Shows and Movies with a friend who doesn’t have PMS. He just has Plex client on his iPad and has a Chromecast and also has the Plex app on his Samsung TV. Is it possible for me to buy him a Plex Pass subscription so he can stream my shared content to his Chromecast? Right now, he uses the app on his Samsung TV to get my content onto his TV, but he says it’s very buggy and crashes constantly, but on his iPad, it’s pretty perfect.

48. Sandro Munoz January 2nd, 2014 7:59 am

Oh geez, my friend doesn’t have PMS. That came out terribly

49. KenD January 2nd, 2014 12:15 pm

There are a lot of people unable to get to their servers via plex.tv, apparently because of an issue with security certificates. Plex.tv appears to have a serious problem with Firefox and Internet Explorer. It was a pretty poor decision to roll this out when it isn’t working in 2 of the top 3 browsers.

50. elan January 2nd, 2014 8:46 pm

@KenD: People can go on using the older web app, that’s why we were more fearless in pushing it out. Release early and often!

51. Brendan January 4th, 2014 4:34 pm

Disappointed to see Chromecast support just left me for Plex Pass only, you work so much better for local media than ‘cast this tab’! After getting past the ‘media prep’ phase on New Year’s, casting my movies on Plex has been on par with netflix and youtube for ease of use. I currently can’t have another subscription in my life, and I really don’t want another HDMI cable in my life either, but I would love to have a date for non-Plex Pass support…

52. elan January 6th, 2014 1:01 pm

@Sandro ~ yes, if he has a Plex Pass he’ll be able to use his iPad to cast content over to his TV :)

53. elan January 6th, 2014 1:09 pm

@OldDave ~ remote control should work fine in the new web app.

54. elan January 6th, 2014 1:11 pm

@Ron ~ thanks for the suggestion, and for your support! In general, moving the application support files should work well (I’ve done this myself a few times). It’s a rare enough operation that I’m not sure we’d be able to prioritize it over some other badly need things, but there are probably things we can do to make it easier.

55. elan January 6th, 2014 1:13 pm

@shakey ~ thanks for the heads up, fixed now :)

56. elan January 6th, 2014 1:16 pm

@BC: security is definitely a topic that’s important to us, we’re discussing quite a bit internally :)

57. elan January 6th, 2014 1:18 pm

@Arunas ~ we’ve been growing our support team, and I followed up with you and as far as I know you’re being actively helped in the Plex Home Theater forum :) we have a small team, and a lot of users, and it’s not always possible to give one-to-one support.

58. elan January 6th, 2014 1:20 pm

@wyldphyre ~ you shouldn’t need to visit that anymore, the web app at plex.tv/web connects and manages your servers.

59. eithe January 6th, 2014 9:25 pm

I love Plex and I have a lifetime plexpass subscription. However, IMHO, the Plex team needs to learn that today’s average user turns away the moment something fails, doesn’t feel right or there’s something that she doesn’t understand.

My experience with e.g. plex.tv/web is that it feels right, but it also fails quite often. As a dedicated, techy user I can live with it and maybe even sort out the problems, but I can’t really recommend Plex to my non-tech friends or family. Learn from Apple; do less, but do what you do extremely good, i.e. the good old; “it just works” – that’s the stuff you recommend to your friends. There’s a reason Apple used x years to support copy&paste, MMS etc on iOS; don’t give users something that doesnt work 110%.

I know it’s fun to release early (I’m a software dev myself) – and although I crave for new Plex features personally – I think you would benefit from having an extremely solid system that have 5 features that work really well instead of 27 that almost work.

Who here is 200% confident that streaming through the web client will work the next time they try? Or that a channel does the same on every available client? Are you confident enough that streaming from a friend will work that you base a Saturday night movie date on it even when you both have a 50/50 mbit line? Well, I, for one, am not, but I still have hope and think you are doing a extremely great job, it just feels like you are doing too many things at once :) I would focus on stability and bug fixes for a looooong time now, and would prioritize which features are ready for the general public and which are in-house betas or plexpass betas. E.g. channel support on mobile (at least Android) is a throw-away atm, if not everyhing I can click in the app works, take it out or fix it immediately.

PS1: The new plex.tv public website is really great; a lot easier for mum to understand what Plex is now, and to know how to get started. Keep doing things like that!

PS2: The reason I say all this is because I’m looking at myself in the mirror; we were/are doing exactly the same as you with our product having way too many features that work 96%. After we shifted focus and actually took away some features from our customers (with promises that they would come back and that they would benefit from this in the long run), we are seeing much better customer satisfaction, and a rise in our user base since the users now are so confident and satisfied, they talk about it to others.

60. SoCalDesert January 7th, 2014 2:30 pm

Threaded comments here would be a nice refinement. The new website is beautiful. Great styling code! Will I soon be able to get the plex.tv style on my Plex Server Media Manager?

61. KenD January 8th, 2014 12:06 pm

@elan: “People can go on using the older web app, that’s why we were more fearless in pushing it out. Release early and often!”

That would be fine if you weren’t foisting it on us unannounced. Yeah, we can use the old stable site, but we had to figure out how to get to it because the rollout caused my bookmarks to take me to the new site. Not to mention that it was broken in 2 of the major web browsers. For a web app, that should have been a showstopper.

And your blog post doesn’t even mention that this is not a true release, but a beta release. I had to find that out in the forums.

You should have put the beta site up separately, and announced on the stable site that it was available for those who wanted to check it out, without redirecting us there automatically. Very bad rollout decision.

62. elan January 8th, 2014 6:04 pm

@KenD ~ and we’ve now fixed the issue with the 2 browsers. We’re not perfect, but we try hard :)

63. Kheb January 10th, 2014 12:18 pm

“but we had to figure out how to get to it because the rollout caused my bookmarks to take me to the new site. ”

Wow, THE definition of pebkac.

64. mjbxx January 10th, 2014 8:10 pm

For the love of GOD, please rid Plex/Roku of that downright depressing charcoal grey theme. Plex/Roku users should be greeted by a stunning display that the private modified Plex/RARflix channel (https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/79897-rarflix-modified-roku-channel/) provides with a superior black theme.

65. unisonruss January 10th, 2014 9:02 pm

I may be late to the party, but love the steps taken to streamline the product, and make it easier to understand. Looking forward to seeing it’s progress.

66. Yvette January 12th, 2014 5:29 am

First of all let me just say after scouring the internet for a suitable media database I found Plex and for that I thank you. There are no movie database programs out there that does what Plex media server does. I have told everyone I know who have digital copies of movies to use Plex it is a god send.

With that said there is one thing I would love added to Plex is a Report system, where I could print out a hard copy list of my movies. I have friends I would like to share my movies with but some are not computer savvy so they won’t look through my movies on their own. A report type system would be nice.

67. kostas January 12th, 2014 9:43 am

Would you like to share with us (not as a comment ofcourse but as a blog post) some of your plans for the plex universe for 2014?

68. quack100 January 19th, 2014 2:57 pm

Love it – much more logical, connected and professional.

One small UX thing that forced me to think: on the downloads page it’s not 100% clear whether the “Show Plex Pass Downloads” thing is a button (ie you press it to get to that state), or a label (ie it tells you what state you’re currently in). Current functionality is that the state shown in the label is the state you’re NOT in.

It kinda makes sense, but it’s also kinda confusing I think. I think the page would benefit from a label saying “You’re currently looking at public downloads”

69. wvhall January 19th, 2014 7:08 pm

Just noticed… this must not be an official blog update…

It’s not Barkley approved.

70. at January 20th, 2014 1:17 am

Great job!
    Plex is the best media ecosystem ever!

Just threw in a lifetime plexpass membership.

Keep up the good work!

71. Idjit Bob January 24th, 2014 8:43 am

I cannot find anywhere how to unsubscribe to plex. It’s just not an application I need. Please help

72. elan January 24th, 2014 11:03 am

@Idjit Bob ~ go to your account page (click on your username). Then click on subscription. Then click on cancel.

73. Adam Blumer January 26th, 2014 5:43 am

I am running Plex Media Server on my Dell PC and accessing Plex on my Roku. I used to access iTunes and all sorts of channels (though many didn’t work). Now I get only the YouTube videos I added to MyPlex. What happened to my channels and my iTunes? Could someone help me? I appear to be missing out, but I frankly have no idea what to do to fix this problem. And yes, my Plex media server is running. Thanks.

74. John January 30th, 2014 6:37 am

Love all the new stuff! It’s been quiet for a while now. Any new updates in the works??? Still hoping to see a Roku refresh with one of these updates!

Thanks for all the hard work!

75. Frederik January 31st, 2014 2:09 pm

I’m unable to remote control the web app throught the iOS-app… it does work with home theater version but not with the web app…

76. elan February 1st, 2014 6:58 pm

@Frederik ~ the web app cannot be remote controlled.

77. Dinger February 4th, 2014 3:58 pm

Still having troubles with lack of audio using passthru ac3 on IOS. The update didn’t seem to help me.

What happened to the live chat feature that used to be around?

78. elan February 5th, 2014 11:21 am

@Dinger ~ How are you connecting the iOS device to get AC3 to work? Or do you mean via ATV?

We moved away from Campfire, so for live chat the best place is now #plex on Freenode IRC.

79. Dinger February 6th, 2014 5:21 pm

elan, thanks for the reply here.

Ever since the update I can no longer play AC3 encoded files on any of my IOS devices. Video is all fine, but I can no longer hear anything. Everything worked prior to the last couple of updates but whatever the update was that was released on the 31st didn’t seem to help my problem. I can tell you I have one angry family with me!

80. elan February 8th, 2014 7:21 pm

@Dinger ~ should be fixed in latest update.

81. Rob February 9th, 2014 10:12 am

Looks good :), Oh, and any chance you guys will support bitcoin for plex-pass some day… (a)

82. Jim February 16th, 2014 7:38 pm

the new plex/web has issues with movies not playing back correctly. meaning people/items look squished or stretched out. the old plex/web played back all my media perfectly. can someone please point me to a link that i can use to access the OLD version that actually worked properly?

83. elan February 17th, 2014 10:32 am

@Jim ~ old version is accessible at http://x.x.x.x:32400/web, hitting your server directly.

84. Jim February 17th, 2014 6:51 pm

@elan ~ thank you for pointing me in that direction. hopefully the playback issue will be fixed, because i really like the look and feel of the new Plex/web.

85. OddyOh February 24th, 2014 3:27 pm

Wow this new web site is waaaay better than before. Downloads are easy to find, no hassle log in…thanks for doing this! It was much more difficult to find what you were looking for before the new design.

86. Chris March 1st, 2014 1:29 am

Is it possible to only share the Movies section with my friends? Up to now I’ve completely ignored the sharing ability because we have our own family videos that I don’t want to share.

If this is possible then you should state it more clearly, otherwise you should definitely add this ability.
    Thanks.

87. elan March 1st, 2014 11:20 pm

@Chris ~ you can share whatever you want, just a single section, or all sections.

88. Paul March 8th, 2014 6:22 am

Just been trying the PlexTv web app for the first time ‘very impressed’ didn’t even know what it was as I really have only used Media Manager then played back content with Home Theatre or streamed to my iPad. But I noticed that when viewing my music on PlexTv that my various albums now display the different artists for each track (very cool) I have checked but this does not happen when viewing the same albums and tracks in Home Theatre or on the iPad app, can I make a request that this is added to both these apps please (are there any plans to do this?) also any progress on being able to queue music tracks using the iPad app again and not having to use the keyboard with Home Theatre?

These are only small things but would make my usage perfect, honestly that is all I can think is missing in my plex world. Keep up the good work

Regards Paul

89. David Cham April 8th, 2014 10:16 am

I looked all over your site for the latest Plex client (I have the server on an iMac but I run the client on my macbook). Am I to assume that the web app replaces the client?
    But my main gripes are these:
    1. Android app does not cast the iTunes channel to Chromecast (I have a Motoroloa Moto G android phone).
    2. Playing iTunes from the web app is not “gapless” – this spoils the many albums where one track runs into the next.

Cheers,