Plex for Windows Phone 8 - Plex Blog

Plex for Windows Phone 8

, , | 15 Dec 2013 | by 55 Comments

Ho, ho, ho! Christmas is just around the bend and we’re full of presents! As you all know, we’re big fans of Microsoft’s modern née Metro platform, and have been for a while. We shipped the original version of the Windows Phone 7 Plex app nearly two years ago, and we’re back today with a brand new app for Windows Phone 8, based on Plex for Windows 8.

As if all this weren’t joy-inspiring enough, we’re also happy to let you know that the app is available exclusively on Nokia Windows Phone 8 devices for the first 30 days, for FREE! Get it while it’s hot, and tell your friends. Just like the best egg nog, this deal will be gone before you know it.

We’ve revisited every aspect of the Plex experience on these beautiful devices (seriously, check them out!) and we think you’ll really enjoy it. We also now support HTTP Live Streaming, which means higher quality video and full support for a range of subtitle formats. The app is under heavy development, and there are exciting updates coming (a new release supporting our new second screen remote feature will be live in the store shortly).

NewImage
NewImage
NewImage

And what of Barkley? Well, turns out the pup quite likes Windows Phone.

Photo 1

1. Oliver December 16th, 2013 10:18 am

Great news, shame it still costs for anyone who doesn’t have a Nokia WP8 or even with PlexPass :(

2. MonsieurLatte December 16th, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks Elan, even though I have no desire to ever get a Windows phone this is great news, and for the next 80 posts that will complain that it’s not free, get a grip on reality, these guys need to eat and put a roof over themselves and their families, I mean the server is free, the desktop app is free, so the core of plex is FREE, you only pay for the advanced features “plex pass” and then for the clients on other devices.

If they gave away everything for free guess what…plex wouldn’t exist.

3. Thomas December 16th, 2013 11:05 am

Will it support sync?

4. Draic December 16th, 2013 11:11 am

Just please add PlexPass features like PlexSync soon!

5. Dave December 16th, 2013 11:47 am

Great to see this available for WP8. Don’t need my Rdio subscription anymore! Looking forward to the updates.

6. Jon December 16th, 2013 11:54 am

Awesome! Thanks for not ignoring Windows Phone!

7. Gabriel December 16th, 2013 11:59 am

I don’t enjoy sponsored messages like these without being explicitly told about them.
    In fact, I don’t think I ever enjoy them, but this is worse.

We get it, Microsoft. You’re desperate, and you should be, but please this is just embarrassing.

8. Michael Schoneman December 16th, 2013 12:01 pm

Great app. Thanks for the update!

Is it possible to force a rotate when playing video? I keep my phone rotation locked, but would still like the video to play in landscape mode.

9. elan December 16th, 2013 12:30 pm

@Gabriel ~ I’m afraid you’re confused. Microsoft didn’t pay us to make this app, or pay us to say anything about it :)

10. Kyle Salewski December 16th, 2013 12:55 pm

@Gabriel I am very confused on how you think this is sponsored.
    @Elan and team, keep up the great work.

11. banthafodder December 16th, 2013 1:45 pm

Is it not possible to implement a “Play All” feature in the music section in any client?

12. banthafodder December 16th, 2013 1:57 pm

Should have added. Been waiting for this for a long time. Thanks for not neglecting WP8!

13. antitrust December 16th, 2013 3:52 pm

Looks great! So nice to see dev’s care about the underdog.

14. Pedro December 16th, 2013 4:10 pm

No, MS doesn’t care enough to do that. It was Nokia ;-). hah
    TYVM

15. clint December 16th, 2013 8:32 pm

@ Gabriel And even if it was sponsored by Microsoft, who cares? Why would you take issue with a company wanting software for their platform?

16. Luke December 16th, 2013 9:23 pm

works alot better then the old app, its alot faster in loading everything on the lumia 521

17. Marius December 16th, 2013 11:21 pm

@Elan, after the 30 days, will the app also be available for my HTC 8X, or will this be a forever Lumia-only app?

18. elan December 16th, 2013 11:27 pm

@Marius ~ it’ll be available to all WP8 devices after that!

19. Alex December 17th, 2013 12:54 am

Love the new interface! In fact, It’s making my poor iPhone jealous.

20. Jacky December 17th, 2013 7:34 am

Kewl GUI there.
    Keep up the good work PLEX!

21. Nixon506E December 17th, 2013 7:50 am

I’m really hoping you guys are working with Microsoft to create an Xbox One app!

22. Jerry December 17th, 2013 8:59 am

Looks nice.

Still waiting on a nice new shiny Roku interface… Please!

23. Brian Jackson December 17th, 2013 10:12 am

You guys rock! Just made my day.

24. Georgexp December 17th, 2013 4:25 pm

Windows 8 app update to sync for plexpass??

25. Tad December 18th, 2013 6:31 am

I’m sooo excited! … but how do I install? I can no longer search and find Plex in the store from my phone. The only option that appears on windowsphone.com is for “Download and install manually” via a xap? Will this version appear as an update? Or will I have to uninstall v1.4?

26. Raghu December 18th, 2013 9:02 pm

Great work guys, thanks for not ignoring WP8, its lot faster than the previous app. I hope/wish that you are working on apps for XBox & PS. Is this app free for just 30 days ? how much will it be after 30 days, i have a Lumia 920.

27. Tad December 19th, 2013 3:45 am

I have an HTC 8X… and see the answer to my question (seeing the response from Elan to Marius above)… that this version is currently ONLY available to Nokia until after 30 days. Oh the HEARTBREAK! I do love my HTC 8X and you’re KILLING me having to wait!

28. Rod December 19th, 2013 6:15 am

This is great news indeed. I’ve been waiting for this app for a while and the fact that it still under heavy development makes this news even more sweet!

Now as others have said, an Xbox One app would be fantastic (or a PS4 one)

29. Mark December 19th, 2013 12:13 pm

Is this version compatible with the HTC 8XT Phone because when i download the file manually onto an microsd card and try to install it in the app store, it says it is an unsupported app?

30. Snaqqo December 20th, 2013 8:34 am

Ohhh finally, I’ve been testing since this evening and it’s working pretty well.

Just out of curiosity: does it support hardware decoding? Because I’m noticing some impact in terms of battery life, compared to other video players (and this made me suspecting it’s running on pure SW decoding).

31. jamauai December 20th, 2013 4:12 pm

Looks beautiful guys!

32. Andrew December 26th, 2013 8:08 am

Thank you, Elan!

I second Michael Schoneman’s use case i.e is it possible to force landscape mode when playing video while the phone is on rotation lock?

33. Arnildo December 29th, 2013 12:52 pm

MUITO BONITO !!!!!

34. Jonathan December 31st, 2013 3:49 pm

I just tried out the app, but it seems that is not possible to manually add servers. I cannot use myPlex since my server cannot be accessed from the internet. Am I wrong or can this be fixed…?

35. Sake January 1st, 2014 12:24 pm

With Windows Phone GDR3 (allready on a lot of Windows phones) you can set the rotation lock to fixed.

36. Sake January 1st, 2014 12:25 pm

And yes the new Plex Windows Phone app is a big improvement. I love the GUI and the speed. Big thumbs up!

37. Liam January 1st, 2014 5:27 pm

So, this may seem like a stupid question, but I can’t find the answer. How exactly do I fling from my iPhone to my GoogleTV?

38. Tom January 1st, 2014 9:40 pm

Nice look. Still the sync feature is the most wanted improvement though… Any plan for this?

39. Jesse January 2nd, 2014 9:30 am

Just a quick note – the link to the 32-bit CentOS Plex Media Server download is pointing to the 64-bit version (same as 64-bit link).

40. Ian January 2nd, 2014 10:26 am

Bummer that I bought the app for Android, then got PlexPass. So the Android app would now be free for me. I wish the Windows 8 app was free with PlexPass too!

41. elan January 4th, 2014 11:57 am

@Jesse ~ Thanks, fixed now :)

42. EA January 5th, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks, this looks great. I initially obtained an error stating that my PLEX media server is too old to work with the app (0.9.8.10) and I need 0.9.8.14. Over the weekend, I’ve updated to 0.9.8.14 but the Windows 8 app (Nokia 520) cannot seem to find the server. I’m going to have a look in the PLEX forums for a solution. Thanks though, I’m excited at using this app.

43. elan January 6th, 2014 1:04 pm

@Liam ~ it should “just work”. Your Google TV should show up as a player.

44. elan January 6th, 2014 1:21 pm

@Jonathan ~ Your phone should detect the media server on the local network automatically.

45. TheFalcon January 6th, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi and thanks for this great Program.

I have only one thing i am missing. Webradio !!! ;-)
    A connection to shoutcast or something else would be nice.

TheFalcon

46. Ben January 7th, 2014 4:22 pm

I own a Samsung ATIV S Windows 8 Phone. I paid for the app a while ago and I had to reset my phone yesterday… Can’t find the Plex App anymore in the store.

What’s up with that? What about the current paying customer?

47. elan January 8th, 2014 10:18 am

@Ben ~ you’ll be able to pick up the new Windows Phone 8 app for free, after the Nokia exclusive period is up.

48. Ri January 9th, 2014 3:40 am

Hi Elan.

I’m quite new to Plex and frankly, I’m loving it. I use it on my Windows 8.1 Pro and WP8 (L1020).

So far it has been really great except two things:
    1. You should provide an official AniDB/MAL agent. The 3rd party one doesn’t work properly.
    2. I’m really missing “offline caching” in Plex on my phone. If I’m not mistaken, you call it PlexSync on iOS.
    This feature would be much appreciated on WP8 app.

Thanks.

49. Matt January 9th, 2014 4:05 am

There seems to be no search function or “rolodex” feature in the music library or am I missing it? I only see “sort” and “filter”. If this is the case, it makes going through a large music library quite difficult.

50. EA January 10th, 2014 10:49 am

Hi @Jonathan, using a FreeNAS PLEX, I’ve not been able to find the server. I’ve been trying for a week now but unfortunately, my phone cannot detect the media server on the local network automatically. Gonna keep looking around though.

51. Jabari January 15th, 2014 10:58 am

Looks fantastic! I love the WP GUI.
    XBMC & Plex dedicated home player/server

52. MrBranch January 20th, 2014 2:12 am

Great Work, love the app!
    fast and nice gui

But it seems not to work with Chromecast, for me it will not pop up. =S

(Chromecast will popup with my Ipad2, so im not on the ice :P)

keep it up :D

Kind regards

53. Mike in NY January 30th, 2014 5:22 pm

Great app! I love this on the Lumia 822, even my Android fan boy friends had to admit it looks and functions great.
    One question about transcoding:
    My music library consists of Apple Lossless (ALAC).M4a files which aren’t natively supported by WP8, how do I know what format and bitrate Plex is transcoding to this device?
    Is it AAC, or MP3, and what bitrate?

54. elan February 1st, 2014 6:59 pm

@Mike in NY ~ we transcode to MP3. Depending on your quality setting, it will be higher or lower bitrate.

55. JerryV February 15th, 2014 10:00 am

You guys rock! Loving the app already, looking forward to the implementation of plexsync! :-)