Plex Home Theater 1.0 released! - Plex Blog

Plex Home Theater 1.0 released!

, , | 23 Nov 2013 | by 234 Comments

If you’ve been with us for a while, you’ll know that we’ve been working hard for the last 11 months on the next major release of our flagship media center software, Plex Home Theater. We’ve released 15 versions for our PlexPass members during this time, and we’re excited that we’ve finally reached the point where it’s ready for the world!

If you’re interested in all the detailed changes along the way, feel free to read the release thread, but let’s just say, almost every single thing about the app is improved: it’s faster, prettier, and more powerful. It plays more kinds of media, plays it more efficiently, and looks better doing it. It even has a brand new auto-update feature.

We really wanted to make sure this was a special release, because we know you’ve been waiting patiently for a while to get your hands on it. So we commissioned a beautiful new skin from the talented author of RetroPlex, who’s been one of the team for a while. Not only is it smooth, fast, and lovely, it also incorporates some enhancements we’ve made internally to finally provide the powerful server-side filtering which you’ve been enjoying in Plex/Web, Plex for iOS, and Plex for Android.

You can download Plex Home Theater here.

Without further ado, here are some screenshots.

Home simple 02

Home infocard 01

Movies posters big

Movies posters big filters 02

Music thumbs artists

Photos list

Preplay movie 03

Tvshow posters seasons level

And of course, we can’t forget about Barkley, seen here worn out after a long swim.

NewImage

1. Alan Morgan November 23rd, 2013 6:20 pm

Looks like all of the download links give out Nginx 404 errors, just an FYI.

2. Patrick November 23rd, 2013 6:21 pm

Congrats! Can’t wait to see what new features continue to be added to an already great suite of media apps.

3. MILE November 23rd, 2013 6:25 pm

Um, so…is this a replacement for my existing Plex Media Player or just an update to the previous 0.9.x versions or what…?! What’s the difference and do I need to delete the old setup to use this now or can I simply update to Plex Home Theater…?

I’m confused…

4. SaintMark5 November 23rd, 2013 6:33 pm

New releases always make my day! Is the new skin included in the OSX version? Because I’m only seeing the MediaStream one in the Appearance menu. Looking forward to poking around more! Thanks!

5. elan November 23rd, 2013 6:34 pm

So much changed, it’s a replacement. You can even run side-by-side if you want to.

6. elan November 23rd, 2013 6:34 pm

Should be the default. If you were running an older version, you’ll need to change it over to the Plex skin.

7. MILE November 23rd, 2013 6:37 pm

Okay, thanks for the info — will definitely give it a try after I’ve had some sleep…! :)

8. Rich November 23rd, 2013 6:47 pm

Looks AMAZING elan. Thank you so much :-)

9. Elstreif November 23rd, 2013 6:49 pm

Just trying it out. So far, I’m loving the improvements to the interface. Thanks so much!

10. shinratdr November 23rd, 2013 6:50 pm

I asked on Twitter but didn’t get a response. Will we see a change log or release notes for 1.0.4.144, the public release vs the last private release (1.0.2)?

11. elan November 23rd, 2013 6:55 pm

@shinratdr ~ I added a post the release thread after you mentioned it. Just some skin fixes :)

12. Uniel November 23rd, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi Elan,

With Plex HT my audio fails about 90% of the times, playing DD and DTS (the framerate also drops to 3-4fps). I used to fix this by changing the output from HDMI to Optical and back to HDMI during playback to get it working. Is it a HDMI hanshake issue?
    Anyways, in the recent 1.0 releases you’ve removed the ability to switch outputs during playback, so HT is now almost unusable for me. Why have you removed that option?

13. Michael A. November 23rd, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks a bunch. Sorry to pile on the questions, but I’ll try to make them easy:

1. My skins aren’t showing up in the settings. Is there anything I can do to make them available? Or do they need updates from developers to have any hope of working?

2. The release forum page you linked to mentions “Enable DVD and VIDEO_TS playback”. What does this mean? Is it just that VIDEO_TS playback was broken at some point and got un-broken, or is there some improvement to playback?

14. shinratdr November 23rd, 2013 7:05 pm

@elan

Awesome, thanks! It’s funny, this release actually popped up while I was rolling out 1.0.2 to a handful of Plex stations in the house. Had to do that work over again, but I was more than happy to.

Great to see PHT has hit 1.0! Congratulations to the entire Plex team, this is a big step forward and a huge improvement over the aging Lakia client.

15. Elstreif November 23rd, 2013 7:08 pm

Just a few nitpicks.

1) Browse for subtitle keeps defaulting to the root directory “/” instead of the folder containing the video being played.

2) Still no way, from what I can see, to manually download subtitles (cf. XBMC).

3) Channel Directory icons are shockingly ugly and un-Plex like. I’m assuming they’ll be replaced in a future release.

16. MILE November 23rd, 2013 7:16 pm

Looks like the servers are overwhelmed already…!? Download takes forever, even though it’s just 55 MB and I have a 100 Mbit down connection…!

45 minutes…? Ain’t nobody got time for that, I’ll try again later…

17. Thomas November 23rd, 2013 7:22 pm

With Plex HTC, I am also having audio issues and video’s running at 3FPS. This is mkv containers using H.264 codec. Audio is either DD or DTS. Never had this issue with Plex 0.9.5.4 player. Digital audio out enabled in the settings through digital cable.

Standard Definition video/audio works fine now. Audio and video are finally synced for that content again!

18. Craig November 23rd, 2013 7:28 pm

Yeah, don’t think this one is ready for release, unfortunately.

I’ve a 720p mkv that plays perfectly in the current non-HT release, but is unwatchable due to constant stuttering using Plex HT.

19. Craig November 23rd, 2013 7:47 pm

OK, I’ll take back *some* of my previous comment about it not being ready for release. I got my playback working properly again by fiddling with some audio settings, but who knows why I had to. Pretty sure they were the same in the older version.

20. Noneyayaya November 23rd, 2013 7:50 pm

No webkit channels option, thats no good. Still has hazy with A LOT of videos where pmc does not. Looks nice but still A LOT of work needed.

21. Drew November 23rd, 2013 8:19 pm

PHT on Debian has an annoying bug. If PHT is left running but the PC goes to sleep (turns off monitor, requires password to get back in) the PC will wake back up but you are unable to enter the password to the PC.

22. Marcelo November 23rd, 2013 8:23 pm

Just one word: Awesome! A very welcome release! Stable, fast and pretty. And thanks for keeping it running on Snow Leopard! Just runned into one issue: nothing happened when i tried to change the subtitle offset watching some TV Shows episodes (didn’t test on movies yet). Congratz and thanks!

23. Craig November 23rd, 2013 8:28 pm

@Michael and @Uniel

I fixed my playback performance by going to Preferences -> System -> Audio Ouput and turning off “Dolby Digital capable receiver” and “DTS capable receiver”.

Hope that helps.

24. David November 23rd, 2013 8:41 pm

Open source? Awesome!

25. Nietzman November 23rd, 2013 9:32 pm

Congrats on the new release, have been using the plexpass version for some time now on my Mac mini, works like charm. Love the airplay functionality.

Unfortunately it looks awful on my retina mbp, i can live with not being optimised for a retina screen (tough i’d rather not) but everything I play back gives me a horrible banding…

26. ryan m November 23rd, 2013 9:50 pm

so you’ve dropped linux support?

27. shinratdr November 23rd, 2013 10:11 pm

@ryan m

PHT has never had Linux support. The Linux builds circulating are maintained and released by the community, not the Plex team. Plex only supports the Media Server for Linux. Much like the OS X PPC builds, the Linux builds are a labour of love by a handful of Plex users.

28. Michal November 23rd, 2013 10:12 pm

It’s not working properly on scaled resolution on retina Macbook Pro, when automatic graphic switching is on https://www.dropbox.com/s/x662nkoz71hah2m/Screenshot%202013-11-24%2009.08.58.png

29. Thomas B November 23rd, 2013 10:41 pm

There there seems to be a bug on my rMBP – everything looks horribly pixelated in windowed mode, oddly enough the resolution gets visibly higher when I resize the window to be larger.

I hope this will be fixed soon, any program released for OS Xat this point should provide support for the HiDPI modes!

30. Michael A. November 23rd, 2013 10:44 pm

@Craig
    Thanks, but I didn’t say anything about playback performance.

31. A huge plex fan November 23rd, 2013 11:04 pm

Best release so far, loving the new skin! Great work.

32. elan November 23rd, 2013 11:29 pm

(Just to clarify, Plex Home Theater is meant for the big-screen. We’re not focused on making it work with a retina display or perfectly on a non-16:9 display, since that’s not what the majority of our users are using it with. On the other hand, we do care about making our web app work perfectly on a retina screen…)

33. Uniel November 23rd, 2013 11:52 pm

@Craig @Elan
    I thought I had fixed it that way also, so when disabling DTS and DD, PCM seems to be used instead. But I’m also using “Sync playback to display” (audio clock) to handle videos that aren’t exactly 24fps (i.e. 23.997), to avoid frames being dropped every now and then, causing a stutter.
    This doesn’t seem to work when using PCM, because when disabling DD and DTS this frame drop is reintroduced and I get a stutter every now and then and that doesn’t happen the times when I get DD or DTS to work.
    (I’m using one of the newer model Mac Mini, by the way)

34. Gareth November 23rd, 2013 11:57 pm

I install, but then it seems to hang on the page that says lets take some time to get audio etc etc sorted. The NEXT button on bottom right in orange cant be pressed, and my mouse has completely disappeared….what am I doing wrong?!

35. KiWo November 23rd, 2013 11:59 pm

Would love to see this running on the Asustor.

36. Edson November 24th, 2013 12:04 am

This looks awesome, but I cannot get my iOS app to control it. I don’t want to use the Apple Remote, I’d love to control everything with my iPhone, as with The “traditional” Plex client.

37. Tarık November 24th, 2013 12:31 am

I’m lovin it.
    works flawless on my mac mini.
    great job everyone.

38. Daniel November 24th, 2013 12:37 am

Most of my mp4 files are still not playing correctly… My forum post with error log has not seen any help so far: https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/79976-many-mp4-files-not-playing-on-pht/#entry459205

39. Stuart November 24th, 2013 12:44 am

Just to add we have audio issues too, and h.294 videos stutter. looks great though.

40. Craig November 24th, 2013 12:51 am

@Michael Right you are. I must have misread it at the time.

41. Craig Clark November 24th, 2013 1:14 am

Loving this new release, but I am finding that it loses connection to myplex each time it starts, and I then have to mess about with the pin number thing.

Should this connection not be a one off verification thing?

42. Stick November 24th, 2013 1:23 am

Is it tested on mavericks?

43. Carlos-Spicy-Weiner November 24th, 2013 1:40 am

The interface looks great.

Video playback performance – not so great. I’ve got an 8 core early 2008 Mac Pro running 10.9. The video will play smoothly for about 4 seconds and then BAM. Stutters like a 10th grader at prom and never recovers.

Using the 64 bit version.

44. Nick November 24th, 2013 2:12 am

Will be looking forward to the offical PHT 1.0 release for Linux. Why can’t the people who make the Linux builds join you to work on an official release?

45. wally007 November 24th, 2013 2:37 am

Filters were removed from Home Movies sections …Only – All, Folder and On deck available.

Usable filters such as Recently Added, Recently Released, By year were useful for Home Movies !!!

What gives ?

46. Thomas B November 24th, 2013 2:39 am

@elan:

That is a shame, I almost only use Plex in windowed mode on my rMBP and the web player does not strike me as an elegant solution for many reasons (float on top, playback performance, keyboard shortcuts, small window “bezel”, standalone app which stays open if I accidentally close my browser, etc.).
    It would have been great to learn about these plans to phase out the Plex native client on OS X earlier because then I would have felt differently about purchasing the Lifetime subscription. :-(
    I’ll have to go back to watching my videos via Quicktime over a network share.

47. Thomas B November 24th, 2013 2:43 am

Also since 4k TVs will be a commodity in the near future (see http://gizmodo.com/this-39-inch-4k-tv-only-costs-700-569125116), does this mean that we will have to use the web client on our HTPCs?

48. Jeroen November 24th, 2013 3:00 am

Love the new plex skin, it looks much more polished then MediaStream and great to see the ‘out of the box Plex experience’ evolve.
    A small suggestion on the skin, please change the scroll to a list, it looks a bit crowded with 4 options (Queue, TV Shows, Channels, Search times 3)

49. Issac Gerges November 24th, 2013 3:08 am

Excellent work all! With every release you continue to separate yourselves from everything else that’s out there. My setup has come all the way from XP Windows Media Center (through the pain of codes/addons and a clunky interface) to XBMC (where my media was beautiful, but was only portable through self managed network shares) all the way to Plex. From someone who will be using your stuff for a long time to come, keep up the good work!

50. dev November 24th, 2013 3:24 am

so what’s the best way to install it? trash the old plex and just put this new one in its place or…? thanks a lot for the release! dying to try it :)

51. Daniel Mueller November 24th, 2013 4:36 am

It would be nice if the list view was back, from 10 feet away on a 32 inch TV you can’t read the text of recently aired episodes, and I don’t want to guess what TV show I’m selecting.

Also while I greatly appreciate that this latest version once again runs on a core solo mini (even though unsupported and not recommended) what happened to the Background music again? When plex home theater came out it was brought back but had some errors, where the music wouldn’t restart playing after watching a video, now its gone completely and this is almost a year later. Could we please get that working again, a silent plex is not a fun and enjoyable plex!

52. Matthew November 24th, 2013 5:02 am

I really wish you guys would support Linux. :-(

53. OldDave November 24th, 2013 5:10 am

Sounds all good, nice to see the html goodies built in. One thing, does the iphoto support that stopped working on the first version for Mac working again in this version?

54. Arthur November 24th, 2013 5:16 am

+1 bug on rMBP

55. thedude November 24th, 2013 5:27 am

Can’t wait for ChromeCast support!

56. Marcos November 24th, 2013 5:49 am

When you all upgrading the Samsung Tv platform, I bet a lot people use and find it could use a overhaul!!

Thanks

57. David November 24th, 2013 6:02 am

I’m having issues with dual monitors. I would like the window to be “windowed” but it keeps reverting back to fullscreen and changing my resolution. Why would it change my resolution in windowed mode?

58. Joel November 24th, 2013 6:20 am

AWESOME WORK!

Now please fix cloudsync and release Bitcasa support!
    :D

59. yeroc November 24th, 2013 6:20 am

Sadly, it appears Crystal HD hardware decoding has been removed. Looks like I am sticking with .9.5.4 :(

60. bozolino November 24th, 2013 6:57 am

smoooooth. congratulations! can i kindly ask you to bring list view back? it’s the one feature that keeps me looked into the old skin (which is sad because the new one is so much nicer ; ) keep up the great work!

61. Josh November 24th, 2013 7:44 am

While it looks nice, it will not play any of my MKV’s properly. I get no audio and lots of stuttering. Plex Media Center plays everything correctly. All my media is streamed through NAS drives. I’m on the most current public release of PMS. PMS is running on the same computer as I’m running Plex Home Theater. The machine should be powerful enough (i7 820 at 2.8Ghz, 4GB of RAM, Radeon HD 5770, Windows 7 Ultimate x64).

@elan or anyone else: Any specific logs that would help? If you would like I can share my server with you

62. Josh November 24th, 2013 8:19 am

Disregard my previous message, I followed the steps from Craig above and now works perfectly.

63. Ron November 24th, 2013 9:06 am

I’ve installed Plex Home Theater Version 1.0.4.144-e40f343d on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

It installs just fine, but it just won’t start up, nothing happens when I try to run the program.

(Fortunately the Linux version PHT-1.0.1.141 does run fine on Fedora 19)

64. Ron November 24th, 2013 9:11 am

By the way I noticed there’s only a 32bit version of Plex Home Theater for Windows available to download.
    Will a 64bit version also come available?

65. Rod November 24th, 2013 9:56 am

Is it a known issue that PHT or PMS no longer remember where play is stopped? I was just watching a tv episode and quit, then came back and it started at the beginning

66. Jake November 24th, 2013 10:18 am

Too buggy for me. Audio drops out every time inlet my computer go to sleep and start it back up. Numerous freezes when trying to restart something. Back to Pled for me.

67. Ron November 24th, 2013 10:20 am

I accidently wrote the wrong installed Linux PHT version.
    The installed Linux version that works fine is plexhometheater-1.0.4.144-e40f343d.x86_64.

The Windows same release version for some peculiar reason unfortunately doesn’t run at all.

Since Plex Home Theatre didn’t work, I decided to try and install Plex Media Center 0.9.5.4 on my Windows 7 SP1 64bit installation and this run just fine.

68. elan November 24th, 2013 10:29 am

@bozolino ~ there is a list view in the new skin :)

69. elan November 24th, 2013 10:32 am

@Edson ~ next iOS release will control it again, we made major enhancements to the protocol.

70. Grevin Rood November 24th, 2013 11:57 am

I also still have visual bugs (VERY low resolution) on my Retina.
    The WEB interface is great for when i am abroad but I really dont want it for home use on my retina Macbook! Why watch a movie in a browser when I can have a beautiful app with many more features for it.

71. Carlos Rovira November 24th, 2013 12:43 pm

A great update! Thanks for the great effort!

I only would love to see some bugs solved (or maybe it really aren’t bugs)

1.- If you pause a movie, you can’t exit movie and go to main menu. You must to resume first

2.- I have Mac mini and HDMI TV audio connection. If I configure HDMI, movies doesn’t sound and moves slow and freezing. I must to set up as anagogic config.

Hope that helps

Again, great work! :)

Carlos Rovira
    Plex Pass Member

72. Jeremy November 24th, 2013 12:57 pm

So I downloaded and installed Plex Home Theater but I am unable to launch it. When I try to launch, nothing happens…just a brief moment of thinking then nothing. I am running windows 7 64 bit.

73. Mr D November 24th, 2013 1:21 pm

Working splendidly on my MacMini
    Another fantastic release guys.
    The only bug I seem to have is the client not remembering I want it in list view on the new skin. I have looked through all the settings and can’t find a way to “hardset” this but people are saying it should remember the choice am i missing something??

Please keep up the good work and keeping all us strange mac users happy.

74. ubuntulover November 24th, 2013 1:55 pm

i thought PHT would have linux binary releases, i remember hearing that it would be supported officially.

having to build it myself without updates through a repository seems not so super.

75. Craig November 24th, 2013 2:05 pm

@Corlos Rovira Look for my previous comment about what I did to fix my playback performance. It may work for you as well. It apparently did for at least one other person.

76. JohnB November 24th, 2013 2:33 pm

Can anyone confirm whether Plex HT will make it over to being a Roku app?

77. Ron November 24th, 2013 2:57 pm

@Jeremy

Thanks for you message, than at least I know I’m not the only one experiencing this problem of not being able to launch Plex Home Theater after install. I experience the exact problem that you describe.

78. Pedro November 24th, 2013 4:27 pm

How can I disable the extra click-through to play something when browsing in library or even through the channels. I don’t really want to see the extra info screen when I know I want to play it right away. When I’ve seen this screen on the web version and even android, but it made sense to me there since you may want to maybe play to another device or something like that. For the desktop version, I don’t see the point of it, at least in my use case. No setting to disable it?

79. elan November 24th, 2013 5:41 pm

@Pedro: just hit the ‘p’ key on the keyboard or use Apple Remote’s play key (iirc) to play right away.

80. elan November 24th, 2013 5:41 pm

@JohnB ~ not technically possible.

81. David Cluck November 24th, 2013 6:29 pm

The same issue I had with the older releases – where my audio is muted for some reason – is still present in this release.

82. Noneyayaya November 24th, 2013 7:07 pm

Webkit should be available as a choice not just that channel doesnt work when it clearly worked on pmc.

83. elan November 24th, 2013 7:20 pm

@Noneyayaya ~ webkit is not supported anymore, as we’re moving away from that feature in channels.

84. Pedro November 24th, 2013 8:50 pm

Ah, “P” to play file instantly. But I am so accustomed to pressing enter =/. Also, Why is the change to list view not persistent? It reverts to the thumbnail/art view whenever navigating away from the current section. Is this intended behavior?

85. Simon November 25th, 2013 12:09 am

Looks great, stupid question I guess, bu how do you get it look like the 2nd screen shot down with the left hand info panel?

86. Halil November 25th, 2013 2:24 am

Everything about the update is better except:
    I have had a few crashes when scrolling fast through my movies (500+). I have never had a crash before on PMC when scrolling. And it is less smooth when scrolling. The posters reload while scrolling even after they’ve been loaded in before. This was never the case on laika.
    I had Refocus back to blue skin on top of the latest laika public release running before i updated to 1.0 of PlexHT.

Why can’t we change movie posters now from the app?

The list view is not persistent in all of the sections. It would be greatly appreciated if the list view was persistent in at least Channels, for example youtube/subscriptions/

87. Martin November 25th, 2013 2:46 am

Hello Elan!

The new version of Plex Home Theatre ROCKS!! Congrats and kudos to everyone at Plex HQ. Here are a few enhancements and suggestions for your kind consideration:

1) Could you please provide a way to stop the “Lost Connection to myPlex Connection. You need to login” message from appearing in the Plex Home Theater client? I purposely don’t sign into myPlex, so it is really annoying to have the notification appear periodically.

2) I love that that Plex Home Theatre randomly displays artwork for the various movies and TV shows in my large library. I sometimes would like to find out the name of the show or movie when a specific artwork is shown. Is it possible to add a keyboard shortcut that would show the name of the movie or show that the artwork is for? Perhaps a list in each respective Library sections of past artwork shown since the Plex Home Theatre client was launched? This feature would help to discover and watch content that I haven’t viewed in a while. I’m sure you can come up with something.

3) Please provide a very easy way in the Web Management interface to change the Library Section thumbnail pictures. I need to fix one and change another, and there’s no easy way to do this. Help please.

4) Please keep supporting the Plex Client on OS X. I use the OS X client most of the time, and I absolutely refuse to use the web client. The day I am forced to use the web client is the day I dump Plex for good.

Thanks

-Martin

88. Martin November 25th, 2013 3:40 am

Ive also had to move back to 9.10. Audio only outputs now as 2.0 to my anthem mrx amp over hdmi.

I notice there is only the hdmi option. There were two before and I outputted over the other choice.

89. Martin November 25th, 2013 3:46 am

more detail.

In 9.10, I set Audio Output Device to wasapi before I can get 7.1

there seems to be no option in 1.0 for this

90. John November 25th, 2013 4:11 am

Did mouse support disappear?

I cant see how to enable it in the preferences – Under input devices peripherals is grayed out. I was hoping to be able to use the mouse on the movie progress bar to set the playback point which I don’t think is possible in the old plex client either. (But it does support mouse)

91. Mr D November 25th, 2013 5:52 am

re Apple remote and extra click for play.
    It seems that on the older white apple remote the play button acts differently as this gives me the info not direct play. Any chance of getting a setting for the older remotes?

92. OldDave November 25th, 2013 8:54 am

Is it possible to organise the main menu the way I want like in xbmc or as Plex was in it’s early stages?

93. John November 25th, 2013 8:54 am

Saw a comment about this making it to the Roku. I don’t think he wants the Plex HT on the Roku, but probably the overall look/feel.
    The Roku app is in great need of an over haul. Something similar to this or the Plex/Web layout. It’s just too cumbersome to scroll through movies in that single side scrolling bar.
    There was talk of a Roku update some time ago, but have heard nothing since.

94. Fennek November 25th, 2013 9:49 am

+1 for MBP Retina.
    Please support it!

95. Bryan November 25th, 2013 12:51 pm

This is way Better!!! Love the skin and you can just see so much more while in the menu. Great work Plexerz!!!

96. Valentin November 25th, 2013 12:56 pm

Martin said it and I couldn’t agree more! +1 for Retina/HiDPI support.
    I will never use the webinterface on my Mac and I have zero intentions to switch to a different platform.

97. Ken November 25th, 2013 2:39 pm

I just don’t get it… Am I the only one who has no friggin clue what differentiates this from Plex Media Server? Why in god’s name would you have two such closely related apps with no comparison page telling you why you’d want one over the other? SO frustrating…

98. Jefferson November 25th, 2013 5:26 pm

Did you guys chance the IR codes or something? Most of the buttons seem to be mapped differently now. Is there a new device in the Logitech harmony database?

99. Nathaniel November 25th, 2013 9:24 pm

@Ken: It’s really simple. The “Plex Media Server” is the server that holds the media. The “Plex Home Theater” app is the frontend you run on your TV that plays the media from the server. It’s two pieces of the whole. The frontend doesn’t handle the media files itself, it just show the library, and the media server can’t play anything on your TV, all it does is index the files on the storage device.

100. Nathaniel November 25th, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for a great release! Tried it out yesterday, and it feels nice and fresh, and performs great. A couple of small graphical bugs here and there, and rendering performance could be better, but overall this is fantastic.

Looking forward to many more years of a sweet media interface on my Mac Mini!

101. K3TTLENAUT November 25th, 2013 10:26 pm

Is it just me or did the update ruin the navigation? Used to be I could browse my folders like I like to (as I don’t like the way plex organizes my media) and I could right click a folder (say a season of a show) and either just play it or at add it to the now playing queue. I can now do neither. Is there a reason we are fixing what isn’t broken in that regard? I loved it, now I hate it, I hope I can find an older version of the home theater app, and I hope it works with the updated server…

102. OldDave November 25th, 2013 11:13 pm

I have a single mac mini connected to a tv and also watch in another room on my ipad, I don’t understand what is the use of the “on deck” and “now playing” feature? Why are they so important for some?
    (I would also like to look at photots but that doesn’t work)

103. Halil November 25th, 2013 11:27 pm

Update:
    Scrolling is smoother when you turn of unwatched icons for movies. Still had a few crashes, but much less. Is seems the app is trying to load the watched status while you scroll. This is not neccessary and i would advise for it to be adjusted to load it in after you’ve stopped scrolling.

List view is persistent in movies and tv shows but not in channels view.

I would like to see more options for the posters view. Not you can choose between 8 really big posters or 24 smaller ones. Both look great, but the option to show 12/16/20 for example would be appreciated.

All in all, thanks for a great update. The look and feel and the amount of polish really screams quality.

104. Vaskerville November 26th, 2013 12:26 am

Great update! As a Plex Pass subscriber I didn’t pay attention – had no idea this was happening.

Amazing that you finally added a ‘brightness’ control.

Nitpickiness: the ‘Recently Added’ view for TV is actually hard to read – things are too small – it’s practically too much information in that view.

Would like a control to completely suppress the background images throughout (opting only for black) – find them annoying.

The new interface is certainly harder to use – having to go left to get the additional menu options is a bit cumbersome compared to how it worked in the past.

105. Ken November 26th, 2013 12:52 am

@Nathaniel, Thanks so much for the short and sweet summary.

106. Mark November 26th, 2013 2:53 am

Looks great, but… I have the 64 bit 1.0.4.144-e40f343d installed on my Mac Mini mid 2010 OSX 10.9 via headphone’s digital out. My receiver doesn’t get the digital signal. Seems that Plex Home Theatre cuts of this signal. When I delete PHT and using Plex 0.96 again, the digital signal is back.

107. Jesper Ordrup November 26th, 2013 3:14 am

Are there any release notes that describes the release?

108. Pedro November 26th, 2013 6:50 am

List view is not persistent for me in either tv or movies. I also can no longer info-click? a folder and play all. I can queue it, but I’ve never used the queue before, I don’t even know where it is lol.

109. Mani November 26th, 2013 12:03 pm

+1 for rMBP support! The strange thing here is, that the preview versions for the plex pass members worked on the retina, until the few latest releases. Why? From my view that is a step backwards…

110. Laurence November 26th, 2013 1:09 pm

Amazing update, that fixed the only slightly annoying issues I was previously having with Plex. (An audio sync issue, and a system resources issue when Plex was offscreen in osx spaces.) Thanks so much for all your hard work, guys. I downloaded an early beta from plexpass but decided to wait for version 1.0 after that, because I wanted the stability. It was worth the wait. I love the new views and layout. I’m having the same problem as one of the posters above – PHT sometimes crashes when scrolling quickly through my large library, but I can live with that for now. Thanks again!

111. Dave Townsend November 26th, 2013 5:51 pm

Shame this totally breaks channels. Where can I get the older version back?

112. elan November 26th, 2013 7:02 pm

@Dave ~ Can you define “totally breaks”?

113. Rick Bauer November 26th, 2013 7:57 pm

Huge thanks to Élan and the plex team!! Two big thumbs WAY up!!

114. noneyayaya November 26th, 2013 10:39 pm

You can even leave it as a option? Hbogo and Maxgo are VERY nice to use if available for the time being. Once 3rd party vendors move to html5 or something then please by all means remove webkit all together. This is really a bummer to not have it as an option for the time being.

115. Sarah November 27th, 2013 12:52 am

First up, thanks for getting TX3G subtitles working. I find this version harder to navigate than Plex 0.9.5.4, but I’ll probably get used to it. There are two things, however, which I’d really like to get back from Plex into PHT, because they’re so much better in terms of UI and UX. (1) I’d like an option for the background posters to cover only the right-hand part of the screen, leaving the left menu with a solid colour beneath it: that’s so much better for readability. And more importantly, (2) what has happened to the ‘Panel Stream’ view which let me use movie posters as a quick guide, but see what each movie was about without having to click-through. Now I only seem to have the options of poster-only (in which I can’t see what a movie is about immediately) or list (in which so I can’t see the poster art immediately). This makes the UI much less effective. Am I missing something in the settings?

116. Ciaranh November 27th, 2013 5:12 am

Sorry Guys, still does not work for me.
    PHT still does not recognize my standard apple remote on my imac
    It does however work on Plex, just not on PHT.
    Would love it fixed as fell I am getting left behind here
    PlexPass Member

117. RodneyBR November 27th, 2013 10:16 am

Sweet, but I’m waiting for parental controls for each category. Reason being, if I give my kids a tablet with Plex installed, I can limit their access.

118. Greg November 27th, 2013 10:32 am

This sounds (and looks) pretty slick! Can I ask a silly question though? Where does all this video content come from? For example, in these screenshots… Cabin the Woods, Dredd, Muppets, John Carter, “Archer” the TV series… where are these video files coming from? Doesn’t all that stuff have DRM? Or does Plex somehow integrate with Ultraviolet titles or something else (iTunes?) to show non-homemade movies and videos? I have Plex, but just know I’m not using it to its full potential here! :) Thanks.

119. RodneyBR November 27th, 2013 10:38 am

I’m noticing a fair amount of crashing, but looking forward to future updates.

120. Ken November 27th, 2013 1:10 pm

I would really like to see this as a Roku channel.

121. Paul November 27th, 2013 4:30 pm

Really like the new PHT loads of improvements looks great to and an easy set up thanks. But can you tell me how you can display the Artist Name when playing songs from compilations as you can only see the Album Artist name which sometimes is a DJs name but it would be good to see the actual artist name for each track as well.

The information is there for each individual track because you can be input and edit the names of each track in Media Manager and also the names get put in when scanning new files anyway but when browsing you can only see the Album Artist Name.

So am I missing something either in PMS or in the PHT?

Any help with this would be great
    Many Thanks

122. Snapa November 27th, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi, I had the same audio playback issue with no sound to movies and frame rate stuttering, which was resolved by deselecting all options, but now I’m getting a freeze/crash on Music playback. Sometimes it works, but the majority of the time it presents an error and freezes or just freezes straight off,

123. Dush November 27th, 2013 10:25 pm

You can’t play local files or anything outside of Plex Media Server.

That’s a huge step backwards. Plex Media Server crashes on scanning my TS files that my DVB-S card records so I can’t add them. So I can’t play them in this either.

124. Noneyayaya November 27th, 2013 10:29 pm

2 options for you rowmote app or plex app that is on sale, I would go with the plex app since you can use it view all your media before you play it.

125. Noneyayaya November 27th, 2013 10:31 pm

If you could only launch pmc or pht from the plex app like rowmote can, now that would be the shiznit!

126. Noneyayaya November 27th, 2013 10:51 pm

Just noticed you have plex on sale just bought it on the app store works great. Question though, when I play content besides webkit stuff such as a local movie it plays fone. When I play it on pht it stutters constantly on some videos and others look hazy and red lines everywhere. Make me think its a pht issue not pmc or pms.

127. Damjan November 28th, 2013 4:42 am

I am a little sad that mouse support is gone as I use this primarily on my mac, still the keyboard interface is fantastic.

I have interface scrolling problems though on my 2011 macbook air. It feels so laggy and slow.

128. KenM November 28th, 2013 11:07 am

+1 for the Roku channel. It need updating to support a list view.

129. Flemming November 28th, 2013 12:20 pm

Installs fine, but wont start.
    Tried running as Admin, and as Windows XP…

Im running a fresh install of win7 64-bit

130. Steve November 28th, 2013 4:58 pm

I currently use Plex Media Server on Ubuntu and love it. The performance is much better for me on Linux over Windows. I won’t be switching to PHT until there is a Linux release.

131. Tom November 28th, 2013 6:21 pm

Love the work guys … but can we PLEASE get the ‘recently viewed / recently added / recently released etc’ filters back … I used them all the time. Difficult to navigate otherwise when you have a large library.

132. Roy Song November 28th, 2013 7:30 pm

I’m on a 10.8.2 hackintosh running plex media server 0.9.7.28 and ran 0.9.5.4. I was able to choose “Built in Digital” and run AC3 and DTS 5.1 to my Bose Lifestyle through coax and through optical. In plex home theater I try changing the audio pass through audio to Built in Digital but the selection is reverted when I check back in the menu. As a result, the stream cannot be created (maybe because PHT can’t push the multistream audio to the digital output)

PCM stereo works fine when unchecking DTS and Dolby Digital in the audio settings. Just the pass through isn’t working as it was working in plex 0.9.5.4

I wonder if pht doesnt know it can stream multichannel audio to the digital output. Is there way to force 5.1?

133. OldDave November 29th, 2013 2:26 am

can some one test if there is iPhoto support on Mac in this version please?

134. Luc November 29th, 2013 7:39 am

Great release, but I too have trouble with multi-channel decoding. I have to disable AC3 & DTS, means I only get stereo. Am I doing something wrong or does it not work…yet :-)

135. Alfredo November 29th, 2013 8:56 am

Hi from Spain!

First of all, great software. You guys are doing a great job.
    My question is:
    Is there any possibility to disable notifications at all? The annoying myplex notification:
    ‘Lost connection to myPlex
    You Need to Relogin’
    keeps appearing periodically.
    see screenshot (http://snag.gy/oa5vB.jpg)

As Martin said to introduce an option to enable/disable myPlex services on configuration panel would be great.

I don’t want to use myPlex services in some clients and this popup is very disappointing

Thanks and keep going doing this great job.

Alfredo

136. OldDave November 29th, 2013 2:22 pm

Before I update can someone tell me if the iPhoto support on Mac is enabled again?

137. MartinS November 29th, 2013 6:11 pm

Just upgraded a W7 PC, first glance Home Theater v1 looks great.

None of my dvd collection plays, it reports a message saying ISO files not supported. My collection is stored in regular vob format. Is it possible to play these?
    Thanks.

138. Yarema November 29th, 2013 10:14 pm

Look and feel of new skin is nice. Usability is at least questionable. Interaction with Apple remote has changed, children have to figure out new ways. Filtering on “unwatched” for example works only in the main screen of TV shows, when you go to the show itself, all watched and unwatched seasons/episodes are still displayed. After putting PHT to sleep and waking it up no sound at all. PHT regularly crashes during playback. On some movies audio got out of sync with video… Logging into PlexPass fails occasionally. Stable release is apparently less stable than early previews. Quite disappointing.

139. jonas November 30th, 2013 2:42 am

No sound!?!?

140. Ammadz November 30th, 2013 1:03 pm

Great job on the release of this app.
    I have just one question, I’ve Plex Home Theatre app on the Mac. Is there anyway I could set the Audio Output to the “default audio output” of my Mac. Basically I want to be able to use my Wireless headset.
    Any help is appreciated.

141. portugoose December 1st, 2013 4:17 am

First off I love this new client. It’s beautiful to look at and works very well with a few minor glitches that I’m sure will be ironed out over time. However…

When I pause playback, the default option is stop (x). This means that the next time I press enter on my remote, I get kicked back out into a menu. When the enter button on the apple remote is pressed, the default for the next press should be to resume playback. This is how it has been across every device I can think of going back as far as I can remember. Press pause and playback is suspended, press pause again an playback is resumed, not stopped. Please address this in a future release.

142. Oscar December 1st, 2013 6:49 am

OK, I know I am getting older and stupider, but I am not seeing what the difference is between having this and pled server with the client app. Why not just install the pled server on a pc and either run the web interface or the desktop client piece on the same box? What extra does this give you? From the looks of the sidebar, it has less options for you…… What am I missing here?

143. John December 1st, 2013 7:07 am

It’s very slow and laggy on all of the navigation screens…. Movies seem to play fine though. What’s up? I’m on a Mac Mini, OS 10.9, 2.5GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, SSD

144. Martin December 2nd, 2013 4:21 am

Hello Elan, why does the Mac OS X screensaver interrupt Plex Home Theatre client when it is playing a movie? The previous version of the Plex client I had did not do this. I am running OS X Mavericks. Please issue a fix to prevent the OS X screen saver from running when Plex Home Theatre is playing a video.

I really miss mouse support. Could you please put that back?

Again, the MyPlex connection notification has to go. Plex shouldn’t nag us to death if we choose not to use it. We know how to log in to MyPlex if we wish to do so.

Thanks,

Martin

145. Jordan December 2nd, 2013 5:04 pm

Another vote for retina Macbook support!

146. AJB_538 December 2nd, 2013 6:22 pm

Love it! Great work! This version also seems to work with my home automation system (assuming it accepts HTTP commands) which the previous beta didn’t!

Thanks again!

147. Martin December 2nd, 2013 6:45 pm

Hello Elan.

I hope you and your fellow superheroes at the Plex secret base are well.

I’ve messaged you previously about wanting the simple ability to sync from my Plex Media Server to my iOS device WITHOUT requiring Internet access. Some of us do not always have Internet access, for example military, overseas, etc, yet we certainly would like to sync content to our iOS devices. Additionally, some of us definitely cannot Publish our Plex Media Server or have open firewall ports.

I purchased the Lifetime subscription for PlexSync before I realised it was entirely cloud-based. It has been frustrating to say the least as I love using Plex, but I’m unable to sync content to my iPad :-( I have tried to use PlexSync on a couple of rare occasions, but the experience has been very disappointing.

I had a rare internet-connected opportunity to sync several TV show seasons to my iPad, but I couldn’t because I could only sync from the RECENTLY ADDED section. I am running the latest versions of the Plex Media server and the iOS client. I’m getting the “Unable to sync. This media server doesn’t support syncing” error message when I browse my Plex TV or Movie library sections on the iPad and select a TV show or movie to sync. If I select the TV show from the RECENTLY ADDED section, I am able to sync the specific episode. The server and iPad appear in MyPlex, but I can only sync from the RECENTLY ADDED sections. What is wrong and how do I fix it?? Arrrggghhhhh!!!!

My impression of PlexSync’s cloud-based synchronisation architecture is that it has a lot of moving parts, it is convoluted and is bug riddled. It is a complete nightmare to troubleshoot. I just wish that you would have implemented a local non-Cloud based sync functionality FIRST to get that working properly, and then worried about cloud sync. What is stopping you from simply updating the iOS client and Plex Media Server to allow the OPTION of syncing via MyPlex or having local sync lists on a local Plex Media Server? It’s not that hard to do, and it would be greatly appreciated.

Please spend some time making Plex work properly on a LAN. Half the time the iOS client doesn’t see the Plex Media Server library on the same LAN segment. I have to repeatedly force-quit the Plex iOS client and disconnect WiFi multiple times to eventually get the server library to appear in the iPad interface. Now, the simple act of watching a movie on my local area network is ruined by the constant MyPlex connection messages in the Plex Home Theatre OS X client nagging me to death. PLEASE get back to basics and give the cloud a rest.

-Martin

148. Robert Lominski December 3rd, 2013 4:11 am

Love it, Love it, Love it!
    Works great! I was not sure about the interface, but have grown to really like it. Seems much more stable than the last release for me and it passes through the DTS to my receiver instead of transcoding – sweet! Thanks!

149. bblack December 3rd, 2013 5:50 am

I can’t get my sound working over HDMI

Windows 8 – 64 bit (hdmi -> HDTV)it plays back over my computer speakers.

150. Uniel December 3rd, 2013 7:17 am

One thing seems a bit odd to me. You have the software out for us plexpass users to beta test it, then just before you release it to the public you change stuff that breaks part of the functionality. Why beta test it if you’re gonna change major things just before release anyway? Makes no sense.

151. elan December 3rd, 2013 10:50 am

@Martin: thanks for your post

There’s no need to publish your media server for Sync to work. You only need to sign into myPlex. Our cloud service exists for a number of reasons (e.g. multiuser support, media sharing) and Sync fits nicely into this model. We could have designed it to work only on a LAN, but since the vast majority of our users have Internet, we’d rather design for the future.

In terms of your “unable to sync” issue, what version of the media server are you running? I haven’t heard of that issue for a long while.

For connectivity issues, I recommend entering a manual IP for your server if you’re running into persistent issues. There are a number of things that can make local network connectivity flaky, including routers and network configurations. We’re working on improvements, which – sadly for you – involve again using the cloud. It turns out that sometimes the most reliable way of getting two devices to talk to each other on a LAN is both devices registering with a known third party :)

We have the Plex Home Theater message in our issue list. For now, isn’t it an easy workaround to simply sign in?

152. ben December 3rd, 2013 11:52 am

You guys have kept my server and living room player the center of attention and changed entertainment for us! we barely watch regular TV. With my PC-know how and you guys software skills we make a hell of a team.

153. SPooN December 3rd, 2013 2:12 pm

Love the look and UI refresh, unfortunately like many other people I have horrible stutter lag issues, dropped audio and crashing when using MKV files or anything larger than 3gb for a single video. None of these were at all an issue in regular Plex.

154. kjhobin December 3rd, 2013 4:26 pm

I’m having the same issue as bblack. No matter whatsetting I change (even having Windows 7 default audio source to be my HDMI output), Plex HT audio plays out of my PC speakers and not my TV.

155. tallerthenyou December 3rd, 2013 4:33 pm

I noticed that the “Desktop” download page doesn’t show the download links for PMS anymore. Is that intentional?

156. dillalade December 4th, 2013 2:35 am

This is not as stable as Plex Media Center on my Win7.

Whats the difference with Plex Media Center and Plex HT?

157. Jerry Gadbois December 4th, 2013 9:21 am

Installed HOme Theater on fresh Win 7 sp1 successfully, but it doesnt launch. pls advise

158. Jeremy December 4th, 2013 11:51 am

It appears plenty of people are unable to launch the application on Windows 7 64 bit. Hopefully you guys will address this issue soon.

159. Chaz December 4th, 2013 2:37 pm

Have they got rid of the app remote that connects to your Plex player, allowing you to scroll through your library on your laptop/pc from your iPhone. Mine has disappeared. I hope they haven’t because its always good to be able to scroll through your movies with friends instead of just looking at your library from you smart phone. I’ll be really disappointed if they have….

160. abmedic December 4th, 2013 3:42 pm

For the new Plex Home Theater 1.0 — any chance of bringing back the “Media Preview” view that has been present in the Plex Clients since at least 0.8.5? “Media Preview” translated very well to the big screen, and the “Info List” or “Panel Stream” views aren’t quite as visually appealing. Is there a way to enable a “Media Preview” view in Plex Home Theater 1.0 or any chance it will be brought back in an update?

161. Kwartjuh December 4th, 2013 10:00 pm

I am completely with abmedic on this one! Media Preview was the one that worked best for tv’s. It was visually appealing and easy to navigate. I used it for movies, and Panel Stream for TV shows. PLEASE bring back Media Preview!

162. Martin December 4th, 2013 10:01 pm

@ Elan, when I check for updates it says I’m up to date at PMS 0.9.8.10, so PlexSync still has bugs.

I will look into assigning manual iP addresses, but I know that iTunes WiFi sync works all the time between my Mac and iOS devices, yet the Plex iPad client doesn’t always see the Plex Media Server library on the same LAN segment.

I don’t always have Internet access, so signing into MyPlex is not an option for the Plex Home Theater client. Hopefully you will be issuing an update sooner than later.

Plex Media Server, Plex Home Theater, and the Plex iOS app are a killer combination. They are incredible together. Plex has most of the features I require, with the glaring exception of local LAN sync. My only non-sync related suggestions are:

1) Please put back mouse support in the new OS X Plex Home Theater client. No HTPC or Plex rig should EVER go without a Gyration Air Mouse! See http://www.gyration.com and get one for your Utility Belt. Haha.
    2) Please add Retina support to the new OS X Plex Home Theater client. Please do not “Final Cut X” the Plex Home Theater client, if you get my meaning.
    3) Please add an easy way in the web interface to fix/change Section thumbnails.
    4) Please add an easy way in the web interface to customize the number of items listed in the ON DECK and RECENTLY ADDED sections. The iOS Plex App and the OS X Home Theater client should follow suit.
    5) The OS X Plex Home Theater client shouldn’t require us to log into MyPlex.
    6) Please add a way the web interface to identify only the media with duplicates in each library Section. Perhaps you could also add the ability to choose and delete the unwanted duplicate media file right from the web interface? This would make cleanup/housekeeping efforts easier to manage.

I don’t mind that you classify sync as a Premium feature, but it should not be an exclusive cloud feature. Syncing content should always be available, REGARDLESS of the user’s configuration. You are creating the artificial requirement that the Plex Media Server and iOS client both must require Internet connectivity to sync. I do understand what you’re doing with MyPlex and the cloud, but you should give people a CHOICE. Please implement local LAN sync as an ADDITIONAL option, and make it an in-app purchase if you feel it necessary. To be clear, keep the existing MyPlex sync system, but add the option in the iOS App to sync directly with the Plex Media Server over the LAN. That would make everyone happy.

As a worse case scenario, please consider supporting the side loading of media and subtitle files into the iOS client via iTunes file sharing. After side loading, the Plex iOS client would then need to communicate with the media server over the LAN to organize/identify the files, and load the metadata and artwork. Again, this is less than elegant and would be the least favourable solution. Supporting local LAN sync makes the most sense.

I escaped from iTunes a couple of years ago and I don’t want to go back. At this point though I’m so over PlexSync and think I should be going back to iTunes instead of getting frustrated by not being able sync content with Plex. I’m contemplating the purchase of a beefy new multicore Mac Pro in a few weeks to transcode my non-x264/MP4 video files for import into iTunes. No more Plex in my life…that doesn’t sound like fun. :-(

-Martin

163. fantasio December 5th, 2013 5:04 am

Congrats for this release !
    Unfornunately i have returne to plex 9 :
    Random crashes in Mavericks,
    Bizarre lag & glitches (only at the top of the picture)

Hope this will be fixed soon, the look and feel is great.

164. Holger December 5th, 2013 6:57 am

Nice interface but killer-bug: No sound when playing .mkv with DTS Codec
    When will we get an update? or a fix? no Problems with the old Version

165. elan December 5th, 2013 10:16 am

@Martin:

1 & 2) Really sorry, but we’re targeting Plex Home Theater for big screens (TV), not a (retina) laptop. We’re too small a team to do everything for everyone, sadly, we need to keep focused.
    3) On the list.
    5) It doesn’t.
    6) On the list.

Sync + LAN: Again, we can’t make everyone happy. The vast majority of our users have an Internet connection.

Side-loading: see above.

Again, super sorry – we’ve love to be everything to everyone, but we don’t have the resources for it, and we do like to be focused about our development.

166. abmedic December 5th, 2013 11:56 am

Elan – any thoughts on bringing back “Media Preview” view to Plex Home Theater (in a future update/release)?

167. Ryan December 5th, 2013 5:23 pm

168. Ryan December 5th, 2013 5:38 pm

I cannot get any of my 720p mkv files to play on the new home theater version but they work fine on the old client and in webview via http://serverip:32400/web. What happens is no audio plays whatsoever and video playback is at < 5fps. This is on Windows 7

I then rebooted my htpc into windows 8.1 (which I am not too fund of) and its even more interesting. The video was actually playing fine but for some reason the theme song music from the tv show menu was still playing over the video and after 5 seconds plex home theater crashed.

I am not sure if there is anything I can do to help the Plex team figure out this error and if so let me know

169. elan December 5th, 2013 5:45 pm
  170. Sav December 6th, 2013 1:35 am

Will this update be coming to NAS devices any time soon? My QNAP is not feeling the love.

171. ryan December 6th, 2013 6:29 am

@Elan

I went into audio options and unchecked all I never thought to look there but here is no way this onboard sound card supports those codecs and I am just using the TV speakers anyway. Anyway the issue is now gone, thank you very much!

172. Patrick December 7th, 2013 11:24 am

Ok, maybe I’m missing something here? I’ve been a Plex User for around a year, PlexPass since June-ish.

I’ve always had Plex Media Server installed on my desktop (Windows 7 64bit) and use the Plex Web to manage my media (find meta data, set up folders for different locations on my NAS, etc.) Pretty simple. I acquire my movies and TV shows from various sources, and after downloading put into pre-set up folders that Plex watches and updates my media. My computer is always on.

On my old Samsung Plasma SmartTV, I had the Plex app installed on there, and would just play through that.

I got a new (bigger..) TV, a Vizio LED SmartTV. It didn’t have Plex as an available App unfortunately. So I bought a Vizio Co-Star which is built on Google TV, and I was able to get the Plex for PlexPass App. Basically does the same thing now as my Samsung did. (The co-star has other cool features I felt worth it, anyways.)

And then in my daughter’s room, she has an AppleTv connected and uses the Plex App on her iPod 5th Gen or iPad mini to bring up content she wants and AirPlay it to the TV.

When I’m on the go, whether at a hotel or whatever, I use the PlexApp on my iPad or iPhone or whatever to also access my media.

Sorry for all of that, but I wanted to get what I do out of the way.

So my question is… what is this release for..?? When I downloaded it to my computer and run it, it goes into full screen mode and my mouse doesn’t work? I can only move through the menus using my keyboard arrows and enter button.

What am I missing?

173. sven December 7th, 2013 11:35 am

Don’t have audio at all !! old versions plex play with out any problem but the 1.0 version gives me audio when browsing, but no movie sound at all !!!!!!

174. elan December 7th, 2013 11:36 am

@Patrick ~ as the name implies, Plex Home Theater is made for people who want to hook up a powerful computer to their TVs and use the best user interface possible (since powerful graphics cards allow for a rich skin/UI). The nice thing about Plex is that there’s always a wide range of options :)

175. Marcus Lintault December 7th, 2013 1:15 pm

Mouse is not available in the preferences->system->Input devices as with previous Plex media center. Please restore.

176. Bruce December 7th, 2013 3:27 pm

I am having the same issue that many others have commented on with this new release (1.0.4.144). . That is, when using the HDMI audio output setting, the sound is playing through my laptop speakers and not the TV speakers. This looks like a bug. I hope it gets fixed soon. I really like the new interface. Shame I can’t hear anything through my TV. Unfortunately, I don’t have a SPDIF out or I’d use that for now.

177. Bruce December 7th, 2013 3:53 pm

Okay I was able to resolve my own issue with the HDMI audio not playing. Maybe this might help others having the same issue…
    In the Preferences->System->Advanced menu, if you scroll down to the very bottom you can select the audio device. In my case, the wrong device was selected, as soon as I selected NVIDIA HDMI output, it all started working again. I remember this menu item from the previous releases, but I thought it had been removed until I started searching around all the menus and found it. So no bug just a setting error.
    Anyway good luck.

178. elan December 7th, 2013 7:17 pm

@Marcus Lintault ~ Plex Home Theater is intended for a big screen with a universal or apple remote, not a mouse. The experience wasn’t good, so we removed it.

179. oncaribe December 8th, 2013 2:49 am

Please restore MOUSE support

180. Dean December 8th, 2013 3:37 am

Hello I would like to note a bug for version 3.3 IPAD release running under IOS 7.04 latest build

Component Out has now stopped functioning

When downgrading to 3.2.4 app ( I hada backup)

it begins working again

FYI

if someone could please log this that would be great

hello :(

181. Asbjorn December 8th, 2013 6:54 am

Is Last.fm scrobbling gone? I can’t seem to find it, and it doesn’t scrobble any more.

Also, +1 on the Retina support!

182. AJB_538 December 8th, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi – what is the default port for PHT? I used to be able to send notifications, not sure if that functionality still exists?

Thanks.

183. Jaco December 8th, 2013 8:59 pm

This is awesome stuff!

Biggest improvement I have seen in a while. Love what you have done to the client as well as the IOS client.

184. Marv December 9th, 2013 5:25 am

I’m also struggling with 720p MKV files (any HD files). I’ve read through the known issues but I don’t think it completely applies.
    “If you have “AC3 capable receiver” and “DTS capable receiver” enabled AND “Adjust display refresh rate to match video” enabled AND you are using a Mac with HDMI for both video and audio, then most AC3 and DTS material will cause the playback of your media to slow down to 3 frames per second and no audio will be played. Workaround: Disable “AC3 capable receiver” and “DTS capable receiver” (it will play as PCM instead) OR disable “Adjust display refresh rate to match video.”"

My ‘Adjust display refresh rate to match video’ is disabled by default. I can only get the audio to play if I go through each audio option individually and test it out. The option that works for me varies depending on the audio source (AC3, DTS 5.1 etc).

Using latest Mac Mini, Mavericks, HDMI.

185. Squuiid December 9th, 2013 9:56 am

I get no sound when playing movies with DTS audio on PHT.
    My setup is HDMI to a Stereo amplifier, via a DAC which handles 2 channel PCM audio only.

The old Plex Media Center 0.9.5.4 has always worked perfectly.

It would seem that PHT is not sending 2 channel PCM audio out of HDMI when selected in the menu. I have disabled all multichannel audio in the menus.

186. Squuiid December 9th, 2013 10:01 am

Sorry, didn’t provide enough info there.
    I’m on a MacMini Late 2012 with Mavericks 10.9.0, HDMI out to an Epson 5020UBe WiHD transmitter with optical out to a DAC. DAC which will only handle 2 channel PCM, which it then sends to a 2 channel amplifier.

All I’m hearing are the rear channel sounds when any DTS content is played in PHT.

187. Squuiid December 9th, 2013 10:04 am

Seems like PHT is selecting the wrong two channels when sending out audio from DTS content over a 2 channel amp.

If you disable all DTS/Dolby settings in preferences it outputs the two rear channels instead of the front mix.

188. Squuiid December 9th, 2013 10:13 am

OK, Plexpass release of PHT 1.0.5 has fixed this! It allows channel selection. Selected 2 channel audio output in System–>Advanced and now everything works perfectly!

From release notes:
    - MacOSX now have a channel selection setting under advanced.

189. bigMike December 9th, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi! I’m new to Plex, just installed about two weeks ago, so hopefully i’m a good example of what new users are experiencing, and unfortunately, where a few of my frustrations are currently. Overall, I think the software has a lot of potential and for me is a prefered choice, I really want to see it work, which is why i’m writing this.

1) no support for Video_TS is a real disappointment, I could understand not wanting to transcode them in your software, but to completely shut off all playback of this video format even when it’s a local client/server is a bit extreme. This is a glaring usability hole. Please reconsider support for this format, in some way shape or form, it’s not fair to just say “NO” and leave no other pathway for support (see #3 below)

2) No Neflix, AmazonVOD, Hulu is a big shortfall. These apps have become a major part of the viewing experience these days, to be branded as a “media center” or “media hub” yet completely shut them out with your new release is hard to overcome. Please find a way to bring back these basic viewing options to your community and customers.

3) No support for launching external apps. With the decisions made to not support certain formats and to disable any webkit channels, the ability to launch an external application to bridge Plex’s shortfalls is key. If I could launch from inside Plex, for example, VLC when I wanted to play a Video_TS file in my library, or launch a web browser when I wanted to watch Netflix title in my library, many of my earlier gripes would go away.

Thanks you for reading and being so open to comments. For a free to use software I am VERY impressed by the level of dedication and passion you and your team bring to the communitly. Well done.

190. elan December 9th, 2013 11:31 pm

@bigMike ~ thanks for using Plex!

1) Use Handbrake to convert your VIDEO_TS into a much more space-efficient and compatible format. Your hard drive and players will thank you :)

2) If we could provide a good experience for those channels, we would.

3) I definitely see your point here that having an external player would help bridge the gap. Again, though, we don’t feel like that experience is good enough, and we’d rather not have an option than provide an intrinsically flawed one.

If those channels are really important to you, consider using a device which provides a Plex client along with officially provided channels, such as Roku, or a Samsung Smart TV, etc. It might seem like a cop out, but trust me, trying to maintain unsupported channels using WebKit is no fun, for us or for our users.

191. Marv December 10th, 2013 1:39 am

Hi Squuiid. Thanks for the update! Looking forward to trying out 1.0.5 when it becomes available.

192. Jason December 10th, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi… I just bought a 2013 LG LA6200 and have a Mac Pro desktop. Having downloaded Plex Home Theater and Plex Media Server (including linking my media files to them), how do I get them to work on my HDTV?

Going on SmartShare on my LG, I can see Plex Media Server, but when I click on it, it says “No Files”… even though I have over 200 file when I log onto Plex Media Server on my computer.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I correct it so I can access my computer’s media files through LG television?

193. Bruce December 11th, 2013 11:00 am

Great job guys. I’ve used WMC, XBMC and now Plex and although I liked XBMC, once you had more then 1 TV/device wanting to watch the media XBMC wasn’t so great anymore. Plex is the best HTPC solution out there hands down. Teamed up with Synology as your NAS running Sickbeard and Couchpotato and you have a fully automated system that can’t be beat. Keep up the great work, lifetime member all the way!

194. sbec December 12th, 2013 12:11 am

I also would love to get PHT on Linux !!
    Would be great to get Linux support…
    We only run Linux @ Home

Regards

195. Cory December 12th, 2013 10:15 pm

I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR A YEAR! HUZZAH!!

196. Mario December 13th, 2013 9:51 am

Mouse support is really missed!

197. Max December 15th, 2013 10:37 am

Hello Plex team!

I love the new home theatre! It works perfectly with my big screen TV & Mac Mini! Really great work. The plex home theatre is at the heart of my entertainment system and I intend for it to stay that way.

On a side note, I would be very happy if you could return the Media Preview option. It’s the single most impressive way of displaying ones library.

198. jj December 18th, 2013 10:24 am

I had the playback issues and tried the above and most didn’t work on a mac mini running latest os. However, when I changed the advanced audio settings and unchecked all options everything was back to the way it was! Love this release. My only visual issue is the way the graphics load when switching from TV to Movies (libraries) – it seems to flicker more than the previous version.

199. Craig December 21st, 2013 1:37 pm

I have been a Plex user (and PlexPass) for some time, and happy with the PMS on my Windows Server 2008, with a Roku to front-end each TV in the house. I sometimes use the Android client (even overseas in hotel rooms).

In spite of my experience, I am *most* confused at all of the various apps and what they do — I’d like to understand them to know how they might apply to me, if at all. I don’t want to miss out on anything!

So, here is a list of things you guys put out, and what I *think* they are for:

* Plex Media Server (PMS): Server (on Windows, OSX, Linux) to serve the media files
    * Plex Web: Web browser to PMS (port 32400) to config PMS, manage media, watch media
    * Plex for Roku: Roku Channel as a client to PMS, used as front-end (HDMI cable) to TV, to navigate/watch PMS media
    * Plex for Android: Android client to PMS, used as front-end (HDMI cable) to TV, to navigate/watch PMS media, also remote control any Plex client
    * Plex for iOS: iPhone client to PMS to navigate/watch PMS media, also remote control any Plex client
    * Plex for Windows Phone 7: Windows Phone client to PMS to navigate/watch PMS media, also remote control any Plex client
    * Plex for Google TV: Google TV client to PMS, used as front-end (HDMI cable) to TV, to navigate/watch PMS media
    * Plex for Windows 8: Windows 8 PC native client to PMS to navigate/watch PMS media
    * Plex Home Theater (PHT): Windows/Mac PC client to PMS, used as a front-end (HDMI cable) to TV, using Mac’s remote control
    * Plex Media Center (PMC): [Mac? Windows?] PC Client to PMS (older version of Plex Home Theater?)
    * PlexApp: SmartTV (e.g. Samsung, LG) client to PMS to navigate/watch PMS media
    =======
    Now, these I have no idea of what they do nor the value they would provide to me. Maybe they are just other names for items above, but names I’ve gleaned from the discussion threads:
    * Plex Sync:
    * Plex for PlexPass App

200. travis December 22nd, 2013 5:26 am

mouse support, por favor

201. Marc December 22nd, 2013 3:25 pm

If mouse support has been removed due to you guys wanting it for big tv’s, which program should i use for my kids laptops in there room? Plex media server? or home theater?

Thank you!

202. elan December 22nd, 2013 3:26 pm

@Marc ~ the Plex web app is likely the best one to use for mouse-centric kiddies.

203. Marc December 22nd, 2013 3:54 pm

cannot find any downloads. is this just a weblink?

204. Matt December 24th, 2013 10:42 pm

So far I’m liking this new version. Seems to run faster for me. BUT I’m having 1 problem. When the program is running I have it set to send the display to my projector. Unfortunately, my laptop screen background goes black and desktop icons disappear. Toolbar still visible. I have the option to black out screens unchecked. The mouse is invisible on the laptop screen but will kinda work to pull up programs from the dock. ’07 Macbook/Lion. Digital audio out. DVI-HDMI out. Did I miss something? Thank you!

205. Matt December 24th, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: My previous comment of my laptop screen going black apart from the dock & toolbar – Well restarting my computer seems to have fixed the issue. Loving it even more now!

206. mymac December 26th, 2013 4:01 am

Looks really good and works like a charm on every Mac so far! Thanks!

207. Taz32 December 26th, 2013 9:34 pm

@elan ~ On 7thDEC you Wrote: Plex Home Theater is intended for a big screen with a universal or apple remote, not a mouse. The experience wasn’t good, so we removed it.

I am running a 55″ SONY Bravia (not so) Smart HDTV – (Unfortunately NO Plex support – I have tried everything I can think of) I run Plex server in the Office and On the 55″ TV in the Lounge Room I have been running Plex for Windows 8 Client on a Sony Vaio Laptop(Which works great I might add) and have been more than happy with that.

Then I saw the above headline/ad :Plex Home Theater 1.0 released! and thought I’ll give it a go…. Over all great work and it looks quite slick.

As I sit with a mouse all the time and have no back-lighting on the remote keyboard, navigation is a nightmare.

You stated above that the experience wasn’t good?? I (and many others that seem to be requesting – bring back the mouse in the above comments) found it simple and intuitive. My laptop does not have IR built in and then there is just another addon to purchase..

Anyway Unless mouse control is available in Plex Home Theater 1.x I’ll contine to use the Windows8 Plex Client instead (I suppose I did pay for it so no biggie really)

Overall keep up the great work …. hmmmmm it’s Christmas.. maybe I’ll Santa myself a Roku…. hehe

Cheers,
    Taz32

208. Berthoud Pierre-Alain December 30th, 2013 1:16 am

Dear all,

congratulation for the new version of Plex Home Theater. Good job developper ! I hope its very stable vesion, because I use for animate the party of new year with some friends. Happy new year guys.

209. Andrew December 31st, 2013 9:16 am

Please add Retina. Then it’s good to go!

210. Richard December 31st, 2013 6:35 pm

Does anyone else have trouble with the movie list? I go in to scroll down to the Movie I want to watch, and the list only seems to load 50 movies at a time. I keep having to stop and wait for more of the list to load. This wasn’t a problem when it was just a text list. I wonder if it has something to do with all the fancy images. I preferred it the old way, since it worked better. Other than that, Plex Home Theater really good.

211. Adam January 1st, 2014 7:07 am

Roku rules, only reason why i came a plex plus member. I have a roku for each TV and everyone I know uses it.

Don’t be saps, look at your data and see what needs updating based on usage.

212. Bill January 1st, 2014 9:33 am

This doe not really seem to be an improvement to me.

I particularly do not like that there does not appear to be a quit option,
    and for TV shows it does not have the watched option.
    we won’t be using it much – if at all.

213. Mike the Construciton Contractor January 1st, 2014 11:40 am

Love what you guys are doing and glad to support it. I have this on many friends and families tv.

214. Joshua Richards January 3rd, 2014 8:19 am

I would love to see the Android version have a UI a little more similar to home theater. Especially since these micro consoles are gaining in popularity. The Android UI leaves a lot to be desired right now when being used on a tv.

215. elan January 6th, 2014 1:08 pm

@Bill: hit “left” in the home menu to quit.

216. Doug January 8th, 2014 7:04 am

I like the new PHT quite a bit, however, I watch quite a few foreign films with separate subtitle files and it’s not quite as slick as PMC was with subtitles. As long as the subtitle file had the same name and was next to the movie file in the same folder all I had to do was enable subs in PMC when the movie played and it knew exactly what subs to find. Now I have to search for the subtitle file and if for some reason I exit out of PHT and go back in it doesn’t remember where the subtitle file was and I have to find it all over again. Not a deal breaker by any means, but implementing the old way of using subtitles would be ideal with PHT. Overall, I do like the interface, speed and simplicity of PHT. Keep up the good work!

217. elan January 8th, 2014 6:06 pm

@Doug ~ this will be fixed in the next release :)

218. Cuba January 8th, 2014 7:37 pm

PHT on Mac Mini / Cinema Display on one side of the room. How can I control it from the sofa on the other side of the room?
    Used to be able to use a connected device, I don’t see an option anymore.
    If the experience was bad, please consider improving rather rhan removing it. It’s got to be better than getting up and walking across the room to the keyboard.
    Thank you.

219. Brennan January 10th, 2014 11:53 am

Hi LOVE the new Plex Home Theater for my mac mini! It solves an issue with XBMC I was having: every time I turned off my receiver, the audio would cut out and the video would stutter. PHT works like a charm now. Was wondering if there is a way to set the video settings to default? I noticed that you can set the video settings as default in XBMC and would love to see it in Plex. Thanks and good work!

220. Bittles January 12th, 2014 7:19 am

@K3TTLENAUT totally agree. Loved Plex, now I hate it. I use the instant queue all day every day. It was simple, selected a show or movie and hit “q”. Once you’d built up your playlist, hit “spacebar” to view the instant queue and hit “enter/return” to start viewing the queued up media. That no longer exists, at least that I can see, in PHT and that is a deal breaker.

221. elan January 17th, 2014 10:52 am

@Bittles ~ we’ll be bringing back play queues.

222. elan January 17th, 2014 10:57 am

@Cuba ~ PHT can be controller with iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8 and the web app.

223. dee January 19th, 2014 2:26 pm

i agree with @K3TTLENAUT and @Bittles, I’m not switching to the new Plex.

At some point in the past, we lost the ability to setup our own shortcut list, and that was a heartbreaker. And now we lose the ability to navigate folders.

I’ll avoid the update and hope that these two features do come back at some point… along with themes, Refocus is a way better UI.

However, thanks for all the work, Plex it nonetheless awesome!

224. lordvoid January 25th, 2014 8:53 pm

Sad.
    No XP.

225. Timothy January 30th, 2014 5:03 pm

When will the linux (ubuntu) one be updated?

226. Aaron February 1st, 2014 11:37 pm

Looks amazing, but, now lost lots of movies audio, yet, they still work on the previous version!!! Damn shame because it was brilliant, but, don’t use it so much now.

227. CEW2 February 5th, 2014 12:08 pm

Exactly the same problem, like Aaron : no audio in movies, always worked with previous versions… :/

228. Shawn February 9th, 2014 4:52 pm

it’s really too bad you’re not creating a Linux version of Plex Home Theater. Linux would be the lowest maintenance operating system for a dedicated HTPC. Windows just has too many bells, whistles, and bugs. Mac is too expensive of a device to dedicate to an HTPC. Linux would be absolutely perfect.

229. Adam February 10th, 2014 9:22 am

Yes please Linux. Please.

230. alex February 11th, 2014 12:27 pm

PHT not working well on macbook pro retina… can’t change resolution of plex to other than 1440 . therefore the resolution is not retina and is ugly. If I change it, the resolution of the OS is messed up and then when PHT is closed and reopened, this time its resolution is messed up.

Someone experiencing that? Deal breakers for Retina mac users.

231. elan February 12th, 2014 9:49 pm

@alex ~ Plex Home Theater is intended to work in a home theater environment, not on a laptop. You can use our web app, which is retina-friendly.

232. elan February 12th, 2014 9:53 pm

@CEW2: check the forums, and post your configuration if you can’t figure it out. Audio config is definitely one of the trickier aspects…

233. Dale March 12th, 2014 6:08 pm

I am running this app on my Mac Mini, repurposed as a home theater system. I have all of my movies converted to MKV files, including many BD versions. Running from the Server app, was fine for converted DVDs, but not for BDs. The Home Theater has no problem streaming either DVDs or BDs from any of three networked locations — Synology NAS. iMac with external USB drive, or the Mac Mini.

So far, I am very pleased with the app, but would like to have the ability to sort by folder as with the server app.

234. Daniele April 3rd, 2014 12:21 pm

@Elan, @Martin

Hey Elan,
    you said that it won’t be possible to show the video title of the current artwork pressing a shortcut, but what about always showing it without the need of any shortcuts?

Thanks and keep on the excellent work!

Daniele