Back to school with Plex - Plex Blog

Back to school with Plex

, | 25 Aug 2013 | by 38 Comments

It’s that time of year.

The days are starting to get shorter, there’s a certain evening chill, and the air is awash in possibilities. In a few short weeks you’ll pack up the rusty Nissan and head off back to school. What classes will you take? What adventures await? Lots of questions, one thing is for sure: Plex will help you get through the school year.

Just to make sure of it, we’re running a two-day sale (our first ever!) on our beautiful iOS and lovely Android apps. Both are now available for the low, low price of $1.99. We’re always excited to hear how schools around the world are using Plex with their students, and we’re super happy to make it more affordable.

(And if you’re not a student, pretend you are by reading a random Wikipedia article, and then do not pass Go, head directly for the App Store.)

Even Barkley is stocking up on back-to-school clothes.

479377 10151363871099610 1397624791 o
Photo by my lovely wife Anna.

1. Mårten August 26th, 2013 12:10 am

I’m a student myself but already got Plex, but I’m well assured that many will find this offer great! :) Keep up the good work guys!

2. A huge plex fab August 26th, 2013 12:51 am

so cute

3. Adam August 26th, 2013 1:22 am

Always love your Barkley pics!

4. Dan August 26th, 2013 1:48 am

want some love for windows 8 version too!!! :)

5. D-meter August 26th, 2013 2:13 am

No love for Windows Phone? :-(

6. spotted-dog August 26th, 2013 2:44 am

Love Barkley’s tie, did he tie it or is it clip-on? I think he is missing a few supplies though, and where is the apple for the teacher?

7. Dev August 26th, 2013 2:49 am

Plexpass life time discount would be more useful .. Just saying

8. Jordan August 26th, 2013 3:03 am

I’m curious, what’s an example of schools using Plex with their students? I’m assuming the teacher hosts lectures on a server running PMS, but how easy is it to sort through and organize based on class, topic, ect.? Is there a forum or tutorial on how to organize and access lots of short “homemade” videos? I am a ballroom teacher and while I use Plex daily for my own movie collection, at work we use Air Video Server to stream instructional videos and choreography we’ve created to the various mobile devices in the studio. Now I’m interested to try to use Plex for this task as it is truly cross platform and much more powerful.

9. Mark August 26th, 2013 5:34 am

Barkley needs a top hat, and maybe a monocle to go with that sweet bow-tie

10. Mike August 26th, 2013 1:25 pm

Already have the Plex app for Android…want to get PlexPass…wife said, “Wait for the sale.”…I said, “What sale?”…info?

11. Roofus August 26th, 2013 1:32 pm

I bought Plex for Android at full price about two weeks ago. Oh well. Still worth it!

12. Luke August 26th, 2013 2:38 pm

Where is the Windows 8 app discount?

13. kriebe August 26th, 2013 7:35 pm

@Mark – Wrong, he needs a Fez and a Sonic Screwdriver. Maybe some old school blue and red 3d glasses.

14. Harald Steindl August 26th, 2013 8:55 pm

Barkley is not so much in back to school than to heading towards the Gentlemen Club me thinks.
    What a Sir he is! ;-)

15. Andy August 27th, 2013 2:31 am

When did Barkley get a creepy face tattooed into his ear? :)

16. Joe August 27th, 2013 4:06 am

No sale offer on the Windows 8 app?

17. Lukas August 28th, 2013 10:26 am

Also discount on plex pass for students??

18. Mike M August 28th, 2013 5:10 pm

How do I get a refund for the iTunes app? Both it and the desktop app don’t work acceptably for my media and devices.

19. Matt August 28th, 2013 5:26 pm

iOS App Store says it’s on sale but it’s still priced $4.99. Isn’t that the normal price?

20. elan August 28th, 2013 7:05 pm

@Mike M ~ Through iTunes.

21. elan August 28th, 2013 7:06 pm

@Matt ~ The sale just ended, text was probably cached.

22. student August 29th, 2013 12:07 am

elan: i already bought the plex app for the full price and i don’t regret it, even though, the exclusive paid betas over plexpass left a sour taste, especially since i paid for it…

what i’d really like, is to the chance to get a student discount on lifetime plexpass.
    my money is tight, i don’t spend much, and $80 is a bit much and i avoid subscriptions for everything but my prepaid phone plan :)

23. Jr August 29th, 2013 2:54 am

I just heard about this sale… it was shorty and not very well advertised.

Can you bring it back, as a back to school/labor day sale?

24. mil August 29th, 2013 5:33 am

I missed the sale, I hope it goes on-sale again and last for a longer period of time. I’m running on a tight budget and I was still reading reviews on the app, then the sale expired when I was about to download it. I hope my request get granted.

25. mil September 1st, 2013 8:24 pm

No price reduction on labor day?

26. Postwarranty September 4th, 2013 10:14 am

—Nothing for BlackBerry PlayBook?

27. jdavis September 5th, 2013 10:03 am

@Jordan I am curious about the student usage too. We were looking for a solution that could serve up video to 50-100 simultaneous users. I was able to get Plex running on one of our more powerful windows servers and serve the same video to 20+ devices (a smattering of iOS, android, and browsers) with no major issues. managing student access was, however, difficult. Active directory management is a must for us.

@elan Maybe a “corporate” version is in the works ;-) If you could manage this, our institution would gladly pay you a whole lot of money! (The current solutions are just not the best)

28. jiggy gaton September 6th, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi there, love Barkley. I have two questions I can’t seem to find answers to, and hope you can help: we are looking for a new 60″ TV, but I don’t want to get one that can’t display the content from my PLEX server currently running on a mac. Is there a complete list of supported TVs anywhere? The problem here in Nepal, is that I go in to ask the salesperson and they just don’t know (ie. DHCP is not known). Also, for my current PLEX system running off the Mac, and displayed on a Sony TV, there is no menu system outside of what comes with the TV (little thumbs of each section of PLEX). Is there a way to get a nice interface to PLEX on a Sony TV (ie. something Apple TV looking). Thx!

29. bobbrown October 6th, 2013 5:35 am

Since the last update my apple remote isn’t connecting. I have to remote control into the mac mini from my iMac and deactivate the apple remote and activate it again, is this a known problem?

30. Os Money October 9th, 2013 4:41 am

No updates/blog posts in last 2 months almost :(

31. elan October 9th, 2013 7:41 am

@Os Money ~ we’ve been super heads down working, updates soon :)

32. PYB October 20th, 2013 5:24 am

I know you’ve been hard at work, but when can we expect an update? What are the upcoming new features? Thanks!

33. SeattleSandro October 21st, 2013 6:35 am

Barkley looks great in a bow tie.

34. John October 21st, 2013 4:15 pm

Still no updates???

35. Rafael October 30th, 2013 2:56 am

It works well.

I have 100GB in Copy, now I know how I will use this space.

If you want 20GB from my referral, use this link

Thanks Plex!!

36. Carlos Rovira November 8th, 2013 2:16 am

Here you can sign for 20Gb + 5Gb bonus extra free space in copy.com (and I get 5Gb too, thanks to you).

[Please no more referral links!]

You need to install de copy app in your computer to get the extra space

Thanks in advance and thanks Plex for such great product

Carlos Rovira
    Plex Pass Member

37. Mark November 10th, 2013 1:02 am

My daughter is in her 3rd yr, and took her Roku with her. Connects and streams content from home as if she was here :-)

38. EA December 21st, 2013 3:26 am

Hi, I’d lke to follow up Jordan’s post from August 26th, 2013 3:03 am. “I’m curious, what’s an example of schools using Plex with their students?” . I too have thought about using PLEX on a much large scale in a college but there isn’t much information about it’s application. I’d like to know how many people can connect to a PLEX server at anyone time and if there are any tips or guidance on using this on a much larger scale. Thanks, EA