Introducing PlexConnect, an AppleTV client which Thinks Different - Plex Blog

Introducing PlexConnect, an AppleTV client which Thinks Different

, , | 04 Jun 2013 | by 214 Comments

One of the coolest things about building a media server with a API is that you never know what sort of clients are going to appear out of thin air. Over the years we’ve been incredibly impressed with a wide range of projects: The original Plex for Roku, the insanely popular Plex for Samsung app, and even the original version of Plex/Web were all developed by people who wanted to see Plex go where it had never gone before. (Also note that we hired Eric, the Plex/Web guy. If you want a full-time job with Plex, now you know what impresses more than a résumé.)

There’s one little box in the living room which hasn’t been as fully compatible with Plex as we’ve liked, and that’s the Apple TV. There’s been a Plex client available for a few years now, but only for Jailbroken devices, which means the more powerful v3 device can’t be used (and let’s face it, Jailbreaking can be tricky). Oh, and we hired one of those guys too.

Enter PlexConnect. The brainchild of Baaroidy and f00b4r, it’s a super clever little hack which allows a rich, fully-functional Plex client on un-jailbroken ATV2 and ATV3 (1080p!) devices. Essentially, you run a program on your computer which masquerades as the Trailer app. Next, change one setting on the ATV, and you’re up and running. It took me less than 2 minutes to install and get it running. It already uses the new transcoder (which means great support for subtitles), and I suspect it’ll support myPlex soon as well. In the PlexPass preview release of the media server, it also supports AC3 5.1 (remuxing and transcoding from DTS). Another cool thing: it supports iTunes DRM’ed video files.

Unlike the other Plex client for ATV2, this one uses XML and Javascript, which means it’s super easy to develop for. We can only hope that Apple opens up their App Store to these ATV “widgets” at some point.

Without further ado, I’ll leave you with some screenshots of PlexConnect. You can install the official version from here, or if you’re running v5.2 of the firmware or later, you can try our version, which has a few tweaks featured in the photos below.

Note that these are early days still, you’ll need to know your way around a Terminal, but I expect a more polished installer isn’t far off. Check out their wiki for more information.

N.B. The current release does NOT yet run on Synology boxes, which is apparently a limitation of the bundled Python.

Our hats are off to Baa and roidy, what they’ve accomplished is incredibly impressive!

P43A0958

P43A0962

P43A0965

P43A0963

P43A0966

1. SaintMark5 June 4th, 2013 5:20 pm

Oh, now that’s cool. Thanks guys! Keep it up!

P.S. – Are us lowly basic users ever going to get syncing? Or is that staying Pass only until something better comes along?

2. James June 4th, 2013 5:30 pm

No. You basic users don’t need nor deserve sync. How about you support the developers for a system you rely on. Christ!
    If you want free shit, use XBMC.

3. elan June 4th, 2013 5:34 pm

@SaintMark5 ~ I’m not sure I would have phrased it quite like James did, but PlexSync will remain a premium feature, so that we can put food on our kid’s/dog’s tables and continue our quest for World Domination :)

4. shaun June 4th, 2013 5:43 pm

still no plug and play version like mac mini need that for ps3 and other device untill then plex will always fail when you have to have server on all the time

5. Chris Coppin June 4th, 2013 5:47 pm

Fantastic news.

I’ve been regretting selling my old mac mini (which was running plex server/client) for a while, and have been using my aTV and plex client on my iPhone with Airplay for the last few weeks.

Can’t wait to get home to try this out.

Good job to all involved :D

6. JPer June 4th, 2013 5:50 pm

Holy Shit!

What an awesome and pleasant surprise!

7. SaintMark5 June 4th, 2013 5:51 pm

@James I’m all about supporting this development: I’ve bought multiple copies of the software despite being capable of getting it free, I’ve recommended it to MANY others who have gone on to set up their own servers and pass on the word, and I’ve even been very close to buying the Pass a number of times. To be honest, even though I asked about it, I’m not in much need of sync, since I don’t travel much and so can watch whatever if I have wifi. So, I’ve been wanting to hold off until I see something seriously interesting come out for the Pass members. Maybe that’s Trailers, or PVR, I dunno. Maybe my comment was meant to fish out some info about what’s next…? Either way, I would be proud to have the Pass and support the developer, but I hope it wouldn’t turn me into an elitist jerk.
    @elan Can’t wait to see what’s next!

8. Buck June 4th, 2013 6:03 pm

For anyone complaining about ANYTHING about Plex, please tell me you’re at least a Plex Pass purchaser.

People should not expect “free”.
    I absolutely love paying and supporting the awesome work by the Plex team.

9. Enjoyfebruary June 4th, 2013 6:04 pm

Can’t wait for this to be a little menulet for OSX or just built into the next version of Server. :) Great work.

10. Ryan June 4th, 2013 6:19 pm

Okay. What is to stop apple from coming up with a software update to prevent such a hack though?

11. elan June 4th, 2013 6:52 pm

@Ryan ~ it’s always a game of cat and mouse :)

12. Furby8704 June 4th, 2013 7:13 pm

and i just traded my atv 3 for a roku 2 xd yesterday lol =/

13. Brynley June 4th, 2013 8:09 pm

This is awesome! :D I decided today to buy one, but the lack of Plex without Jailbreak was annoying.

My only request is, if possible, it could be able to integrate with an existing web server. I’d love to be able to serve up my normal web traffic, along with PlexConnect.

It’s a stretch, but considering many of us likely run Plex off a server that hosts other things, this would be great.

14. Stscl0312 June 4th, 2013 8:15 pm

Can anyone glove me some more specific instructions for installing plexConnect? I’m stuck on step one. I’ve used terminal before but not a lot. I just need a little more detail if possible. Thanks.

15. Steve June 4th, 2013 8:51 pm

Works in that it redirects, but all media playback just tells me that Trailers is unavailable. Known conflicts?

16. Trevor June 4th, 2013 9:04 pm

Nooooo. I want to do this but it’s going to wreck my American Netflix DNS address. D’oh!

17. CCrunch June 4th, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey.

Two Questions:

1.) Must the Phyton Software on the Computer be open or can i open it one time and close it then?
    2.) i use the Synology for Plex…is it possible to use this on ATV3 too?

Thanks in Advance

P.S.: Sorry, maybe i wrote in bad English…i’m German.

CCrunch

18. elan June 4th, 2013 9:18 pm

@CCrunch: It must be left running. You don’t have to run it on the same machine as PMS, and it should work fine with PMS on Synology.

19. drh June 4th, 2013 9:23 pm

@Elan,

There’s a typo on your instuctions, “sudo ./PlexConnet.py ” , should be sudo ./PlexConnect.py” of-course :-)

Wow, this is a great idea, I wonder if it could be manipulated for Panasonic Viera Smart TV’s which are also begging for a Plex Client!

20. Russ June 4th, 2013 9:48 pm

I highly recommend you try this out guys, I’ve been using it for days now and it is truly fantastic! It is become my favorite client because it is so simple, and it displays everything I want it to. I am very impressed with this project, and I cannot wait to see what’s coming, and of course, myPlex support!

Would it be possible to get recommended movies, or similar movies below the title like when in iTunes?

And lastly, I sure hope trailers is coming soon to Plex…would look great while browsing on PlexConnect.

21. BL42E June 4th, 2013 9:53 pm

Great news!

@Elan: You have to change the git clone address in the Wiki of your version, or people will just install the iBaa version.

@Trevor: I think you can put your custom DNS in the Settings.py file.

22. Jonathan June 4th, 2013 9:55 pm

Wow! This is just amazing! Great work! I really hope that Apple will open the Apple TV for third party apps, though.

23. Rich June 4th, 2013 9:59 pm

Does this script have to be run on a computer.? Or can I run it from my ReadyNAS.?

Any way of getting it integrated into PMS.?

Rich..

24. Johan June 4th, 2013 10:19 pm

Nice job – you just helped Apple sell a bunch more Apple TV’s I think!

I’ve been using Plex on a Hackintosh “Mac Mini” for a long time (before that a real Mini), but this looks soo much slicker than the native client, and I’m looking forward to be able to run Plex and Netflix with the same remote.

25. Maarten June 4th, 2013 11:45 pm

GREAT! Will probably use it instead of the Plex Home Theater app on my Mac Mini. Thanks so much!

26. Aaron June 4th, 2013 11:45 pm

worth getting an atv3 now and waiting for the jailbreak instead of it just gathering dust. May drive the sales of atv3 up and maybe apple will think to opening it up alittle more!

27. Aaron June 4th, 2013 11:46 pm

Just need something for afp or smb now!!

28. MickvJ June 5th, 2013 12:11 am

For people who like dedicated Apps and don’t like to mess around in Terminal you could use Platypus (http://sveinbjorn.org/platypus) to compile your own PlexConnect App with the provided Python script! You could then add it to you startup items and have it start when you start up you computer, you can even give it your own App icon or menubar icon and let it run in background!

29. Hampus June 5th, 2013 12:31 am

Hello and thanks for the amazing news!

I know there isn’t a version of Plex that works with ppc (got an old g4) so is there a way of connecting an external HD and making the atv the main server? I’m pretty sure there isn’t but just wanted to check :) I REALLY want to use Plex, just need to figure out a way how to.. Might just buy a mac mini or something.

30. Chris June 5th, 2013 12:31 am

Who needs those Trailer apps anyways :D
    Guys you are awesome! I just bought an raspberry yesterday but this is defently way way cooler! Can’t wait to try it :)

31. deringer June 5th, 2013 12:51 am

Soooo what if the server you’re running PMS on is also your DNS server? I can foresee a world of pain unless there’s another way of intercepting the DNS traffic?

32. Rob June 5th, 2013 1:13 am

I tired this last night and was really impressed, it worked perfectly, I have chosen not to use in the short term as I would like the pyton to run as a service on my mac mini server, (it improves the Spouse Acceptance Factor).

Please tell me that this is going to be rolled into the PMS? That would be fantastic!

Loving the work.

Rob

33. Matt June 5th, 2013 2:09 am

Does this mean there will be no more updates to the jailbroken version?

34. robi June 5th, 2013 2:14 am

Hallo,
    I have the Plex Media Server Version 0.9.7.12 running on my QNap TS-239
    Is it possible to show this also with the ATV and this DNS Hack ;-)

Thanks
    Robi

35. Peter June 5th, 2013 2:27 am

Oooh, thanks!
    I’ve used Plex on and off for a couple of years. One of my biggest woes was that I love the ATV interface/menus but Plex skins not so much. THIS though is the bomb. Still the maintenance of the server side, but with an interface the rest of my family is accustomed to and loves. I have to try this!
    Cheers

36. CCrunch June 5th, 2013 2:55 am

Hey.
    Thanks for Reply.
    How can i turn it on my Synology DS 712 +?
    Because you said it must be running all of time to stream…and i dont want to let that doing over my Notebook!

Is there a Chance to do this on Synology (its a 64 Bit CPU)

37. Kevin June 5th, 2013 3:07 am

Not being a server/network kind of geek, I keep getting this error after step 2 and am stuck:

Failed to create socket on UDP port 49152: [Errno 48] Address already in use
    PlexConnect : DNSServer not alive. Shutting down.

What is creating this conflict and how do I move past it?

38. digiot June 5th, 2013 3:10 am

Brilliant!! took me about 2 min to get up and running. One complaint;) The Trailer-app was about the only App I used my ATV3 for, can we pick any other Apps??

39. f00b4r June 5th, 2013 3:53 am

@Steve

There is a bug on the pre-play screen for users on pre 5.1 firmware, hopefully it will be fixed soon but there is a workaround for now:

40. Thomas W June 5th, 2013 4:08 am

This is great news. I am tempted to get one to replace the WDTV Live since I never got it to work with Plex and had to install Twonky instead like everyone else on the forums.

I’d rather keep the WDTV, though, but since it’s theoretically supported from the first Plex/9 and no-one responds to the bug reports, I guess there’s little chance it’ll be fixed. I just wish the devs would have a look in there and see if it’s easily fixable at least.

41. plexuser June 5th, 2013 4:25 am

Nobody could do before and you did it.

It’s really amazing how they managed to mock Apple.

A standing ovation!!
    :D

42. Gabriel June 5th, 2013 4:27 am

Great job !! I can now navigate my plex library but every time I try to play a content(movie or tv show) I get an error ” An error occurred loading this content”
    I’m using ATV3(5.2.1) and Plex server for mac

Can anybody help me ?

Thanks !

43. MattW June 5th, 2013 4:42 am

Have been AirPlaying from iPad to Apple TV for a while, or using a little fling util to pass the .mp4 URI from the Plex web interface to the aTV.

This is my project for tonight.. only a few more hours stuck at my desk… [starts watching clock to home-time]

Matt

44. Flat4Jack June 5th, 2013 4:49 am

Great news !!!!
    Elan, regarding your N.B. about Synology boxes not being able to run Plex Connect due to the bundled Python limitation. Some guys on the French Synology forum propose a third party python package (available at http://www.synocommunity.com/) which allows to run a bunch of nice software packages (Sickbeard, Couchpotato, ….) as the bundled one from Synology appears not to work either with them.
    Do you think Plex Connect would then run better with their Python package ?

45. deloco June 5th, 2013 5:23 am

Yeah!
    Very nice!
    Now this needs to start automatically and simehow the router needs to route trailers.apple.com to the PlexConnect-Machine…
    Then all AppleTVs in the network should automatically be confogured to use PlexConnect right?
    Anyway, for now it works and looks beautiful!
    Thank you guys!

46. drgonz0 June 5th, 2013 5:29 am

Anyone else having trouble with video channels?

47. CaptPostMod June 5th, 2013 5:46 am

What’s PlexConnect offer that isn’t already offered by the native Apple TV apps? Lack of tone in written text might mean one will read my question in a snarky or combative tone, but I don’t mean it that way. I’m legitimately asking. I can already stream all my movies, TV shows, music, etc., via the “Computers” icon on the Apple TV. Does PlexConnect allow for more than that?

48. Lee June 5th, 2013 6:41 am

Double-click the “PlexConnect.py” file to start PlexConnect on pc said search web

49. Barry Whitelaw June 5th, 2013 6:53 am

I’ve installed this on a Mac mini and an Ubuntu server but can’t give videos to work. Trying on both I’ve changed the dns server number to match whatever machine I am trying it on. I get the plex menus etc showing but when trying a video I get an error message.
    Also, when I run the .py file on mac or server does this have to always be running to work? When I close it the Apple TV says trailers is uavailable.
    Really hope I can get this work work :)

50. cednet June 5th, 2013 6:56 am

Has anyone came up with the solution for “Trailer is unavailable. Please try again later”? Everything else works fine except for when I try and play something.

51. Reto June 5th, 2013 6:56 am

Really great news, many thanks! Please let us know as NAS compatibility/connectivity becomes available with this hack. That will be huge.
    Cheers
    Reto

52. Jason June 5th, 2013 7:01 am

You list Mac and Windows, can we get this for linux? Not Synology, just Ubuntu.

53. Lee June 5th, 2013 7:03 am

This is amazing, thanks guys! My ATV3 has been sitting in its box since I got it due to lack of Jailbreak / plex / xbmc support. Been HATING My roku 2 lately, so this is perfect. So regret getting rid of my atv2.

54. TedP June 5th, 2013 7:03 am

What am I missing about this? If you have a server to run this (like a Mac Mini) – why wouldn’t you just use iTunes / HomeSharing to the ATV?

55. Steven Knight June 5th, 2013 7:17 am

Works wonderfully for me, eagerly awaiting a more integrated version when/if Apple opens up the ATV for apps:

56. Newpond June 5th, 2013 7:29 am

This sounds excellent enough for me to buy an ATV to play with. One question though, my plex server runs on a ReadyNAS Pro6 which also has my DNS server running on it. This by the looks of it would conflict with the one that needs to get installed. Can I use my own DNS server still and just add the manual entries it needs?
    thanks
    Newpond

57. BillH June 5th, 2013 7:54 am

I’d like to see this integrated into PMS that runs on Synology. I don’t have any media on local machines nor the capacity to run a dedicated PlexConnect box.

58. cednet June 5th, 2013 8:12 am

@TedP.. because iTunes will not play .avi files

59. Hasan Rahman June 5th, 2013 8:24 am

Thumbs up! Took a few minutes to fix, looking forward to see what else will be possible with this solution.

60. Simmo June 5th, 2013 8:35 am

Devs you have just stopped me from stamping on my atv3! You are epic thank you.

61. Sebastiaan June 5th, 2013 8:37 am

This looks like something that should be integrated in the Plex Media Server; Start the server and the PlexConnect server will automatically be started too? Just like the uPnP server has been integrated.

Is the Plex team considering to integrate PlexConnect into PMS?

62. Ryan June 5th, 2013 8:38 am

Same error as Gabriel. I can browse all movies but cannot play any content without getting an error. Any fix on this?

63. TheDude June 5th, 2013 9:14 am

I seldom buy premium features, because a) I’m a cheapskate, b) The line between competing products isn’t usually that great, and c) I’m a commie who thinks everything should be free.

You’re the exception. I happily bought me a lifetime PlexPass… you’ve earned it.

I assume/can’t wait for this to be integrated into PMS!

64. Chris June 5th, 2013 9:21 am

Great news!

Though the Script is running fine and I could find my Plex-Media from the Trailer-App, when trying to load one section, i.e. movies, it takes forever to connect to the trailers app.. I guess it’s either slow or doesn’t work..Hmm

65. Chris June 5th, 2013 9:30 am

Okay – it works like a charme on my iMac (10.7.5)!
    Loading films without any problems – it just seems to stuck with my series (about 1,200 files and 233GB data) – I guess that’s taking it’s time.
    Will it be faster once it has loaded them or do I have to split it up?

66. Alan June 5th, 2013 9:42 am

@CaptPostMod I have an Apple TV 3 at home just gathering dust because I have my media collection in various formats(AVI,MP4,MKV) and the Apple TV just 1) Works only with mp4 and 2)See’s my media if it’s in Itunes. And that means re-encoding all my media to MP4. With plex I can just put all my media in the Plex Media Server on my network and enjoy my media in my Roku2, Google TV, Tablets and smartphones and plex takes care o the encodings needed for the files to be viewed on every device. It also gets all the information for my media(Poster, Synopsis, Actor, Rating etc…) all of which I had to do manually in iTunes.

I can even watch my media from home in my Android over 4G.

Hope this info help you.

Maybe Plex connect can help my ATV3 see some action and stop collecting dust.

67. Anders June 5th, 2013 9:48 am

Any sollution for ” Trailer is unavailable ” ??
    Can browse all my Movies but not play them.

68. plexuser June 5th, 2013 10:03 am

@ Hampus You say: “I know there is not a version of Plex That Works with ppc”

Yes there is, is here: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/43011-plex-0953-laika-for-powerpc-macs-unofficial/

69. elan June 5th, 2013 10:42 am

@Chris: some form of paging would hopefully be supported in the future :)

70. nypher June 5th, 2013 10:47 am

This is awesome. aTV 3 was only used by airplay for plex… ;-)

71. Tom K June 5th, 2013 11:18 am

I have the “Trailer is unavailable” error too.
    BUT, in my case, if you press the Play button on the remote (not the middle select button) then everything plays perfectly! Woohoo!

72. 41john June 5th, 2013 11:48 am

Easy enough to set up, and works well. Would love to see this integrated into the PMS.

For those that are able to see there content but not play it, instead of pressing the select button, try pressing play when you have a movie/tv show highlighted. I run plexconnect on a mac os server (10.8) and this is what i have to do to get those kinds of media to play. I noticed in the FAQ that mac os server is not officially supported.

73. Chris June 5th, 2013 12:57 pm

This is why PLEX is the best media center around!! Phenomenal job guys.

74. Bill June 5th, 2013 1:23 pm

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took just a couple of minutes to install.

Tested against various media files – works flawlessly!

My ATV3 has just come of age!

Thank You for your phenomenal work.

75. Mickey June 5th, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi, I have PMS running via a plugin on a Unraid Server. Will this work on it?

76. Derrick June 5th, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey, I’m pretty good at following instructions but this just isn’t working for me. Not getting any error messages or anything but after following the instructions when I go to the Trailers app its still the Trailers app, I don’t see any Plex content anywhere.

I did notice when I run the PlexConnect.py file the 2nd to last line says:

“Webserver: Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 80.”

Is that right?

Thx

77. Trevor June 5th, 2013 5:09 pm

It’s working great for me! PlexConnect is awesome and pretty easy to install.

78. Vince June 5th, 2013 6:08 pm

Derrick, I have the same problem as I’m having to run Plex Connect from another computer on my network as my PMS is on Mac OS X server box. If you find a solution please post it here or on this thread http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/69927-osx-server-cant-get-plex-connect-to-work/page-2

79. Rod June 5th, 2013 6:35 pm

Derrick,
    That serving Http address should be left alone. Did you change the DNS server address on the appletv to the IP address of the machine running plexconnect after you took down the DNS address? Once you determine the DNS address on the apple tv you then enter that address into the settings.py file as instructed, but then you have to go into the apple TV prefs and change the DNS server address to the IP address of the machine running plexconnect. This then points the appleTV to plexconnect which acts as a simple DNS that iether redirects request form apple trailers to Plex media server and all other requests (like netflix) to your authentic DNS. Once you do that it should work. I had the same problem because I missed that instruction that was written between the images.

80. Gerald June 5th, 2013 6:46 pm

If you have pornography stored on your computer will it show up ?

81. Derrick June 5th, 2013 6:47 pm

@rodd

Yep, totally misread the instructions there. Everything’s working now… Thanks!!

82. Geoff Kennedy June 5th, 2013 8:09 pm

Two hours I have spent on this tonight. It doesn’t work. Then it does. Then I navigate to Netflix and then the media server stops. I go back to Trailers and it won’t stop Accessing…, then I go back to Netflix and it won’t stop Accessing…, then I Restart the computer, and all apps are gone, so I have to go back to change the DNS back to what it was before I changed it.

Seriously, I am willing to admit when I make a silly stupid mistake, but I have followed these instructions to the best of my ability but if I had hair it’d be pulled out by now.

Can anyone dumb this done for me?

83. Geoff Kennedy June 5th, 2013 8:10 pm

Sorry, meant to say restart the Apple TV

84. Avi June 5th, 2013 9:24 pm

i dont know how to set it up

what is needed ?

HELP me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

85. Avi June 5th, 2013 9:25 pm

do i need to spend any money?

a plex server?

86. Daniel June 5th, 2013 10:12 pm

Really cool!
    Finallí I don’t need to think about htpc! Just using my mac mini+apt!
    Thank you guys!
    And for donate u I purchased lifetime sync!

87. Vince June 5th, 2013 10:31 pm

@Rod That fixed my problem too.

AC3 Stereo will work. AC3 5.1 and AAC 5.1 won’t. Why is this because they all work fine using Plex Home Theatre and Airplay mirroring?

88. Ccrunch June 6th, 2013 12:01 am

Hey,

I want to take the “Lifetime” PlexPass.
    Did i understand right that the 74,99 $ only charge one time and not Yearly or Monthly?
    Only once 74,99 $ for ever be a plex Pass User, Thats Right?

Would be nice to hear a answer from Elan.

Thanks.

CCrunch

89. Daniel June 6th, 2013 1:24 am

I have just two short questions before buying an ATV3 now:

Can i access my media library stored on a Synology DS213j now via ATV3?
    Can i enrich the data with movie information stored in an online service like imdb?

Then my world would be just perfect!

90. James C June 6th, 2013 3:49 am

RE – James (post 3?)

I paid for the app when it first came to android. Then they brought out this ‘premium’ thing. I refuse to pay again just because they brought out a new ‘feature’. Talk about screwing your users.

91. losangeles June 6th, 2013 5:54 am

Cool 3rd party alternative to the app for jailbroken devices.
    Looking forward to the new “1st party” core-team stuff though…
    I hope they are close as it seems it’s taking forever!… (In a good-mannered sense)
    Keep up the good work. We all support you.

92. DruTheFu June 6th, 2013 6:37 am

I have been historically streaming from my Win8 PC to my PS3 via the Playstation Media Server. Having an AppleTV3, I have been waiting soooooooo long for a jailbreak, and this is a very promising thing outside of jailbreaking and using XBMC. I’m thinking of migrating away from my PS3 streaming to ATV3 streaming via Plex. Will I need to purchase the myPlex account in order for ATV3 streaming to function, or will the free version of the software be capable of doing this?

My 2 ATV3′s collecting dust thank you!

93. Talisto June 6th, 2013 10:54 am

THIS IS AMAZING!! Awesome work, guys!

94. elan June 6th, 2013 11:09 am

@Ccrunch ~ yes it’s a ONE-TIME thing that gets you all features now and future.

@Vince ~ you need 0.9.7.28 and to enable the AirPlay DD preference.

95. JJ June 6th, 2013 11:37 am

Does NOT work yet on Synology NAS. Also installed the python package that Flat4Jack suggested, but the problem remains: the package will install but not run. Waiting for a Synology-owning dev to come to the rescue and fix this, pretty please :-)))

96. pmcd June 6th, 2013 12:09 pm

Incredible… this is just an ingenious approach. Worked great, although I did have to disable one of my Plex Media Servers to see the Library.

Bravo …

philip

97. Sebastiaan June 6th, 2013 12:10 pm

@elan would it be possible to integrate this into Plex Media Server, so that PlexConnect automatically starts when the server is running? Just like the uPnP server? That would make it really awesome, as people don’t have to configure / run this script manually :)

98. Woodbine June 6th, 2013 12:30 pm

can someone please give instructions on how to use Platypus to make an app that sets this up? I have no idea when it comes to terminal or scripts etc.

99. Palludetti June 6th, 2013 2:10 pm

I still don’t know how to do it!
    Please help!

100. Dirk D June 6th, 2013 2:13 pm

Can someone do a youtube tutorial of this. I can’t seem to figure it out.

Thanks,

Dirk D

101. Vince June 6th, 2013 3:14 pm

@elan I have 0.9.7.28, but still no AC3 5.1 and DD is set in Preferences and Dolby Digital set to on in ATV. Baffled? I really want this to work as I think this is brilliant work and congrats to all involved!

102. Jake June 6th, 2013 3:19 pm

Install was successful, however it is extremely slow. Is anyone else having this issue or does anyone have any suggestions?

103. Vince June 6th, 2013 3:30 pm

@elan. In the Plex Connect settings on ATV I have Force Direct Play – False, Force Transcode – False and Transcoder Quality – 1080p 40.0Mbps. Is that correct?

104. Jason June 6th, 2013 6:41 pm

In the instructins to download python 2.7.5 for window 7 which one do you select.

105. Massimo June 6th, 2013 8:48 pm

This is greatness. I’d surely pay a buck for a standalone application! A truly elegant solution. Bravo!

106. Ranjha June 6th, 2013 11:37 pm

This is a wonderful hack indeed. I was looking for such a thing for so long. Salute to developers!!

107. Jake June 7th, 2013 2:22 am

Why is everyone so excited already? None of the unofficial plugins work yet.

108. TonyT June 7th, 2013 4:10 am

Movies works fine, but music is not working?

109. Mendodave June 7th, 2013 4:16 am

Ok, going to set this up this weekend. Would my AppleTVs be able to stream from the Plex app on the Drobo 5N?

I don’t have the bandwidth to stream to phones/pads, so I don’t care about that.

Thanks, and keep up the brilliant work!

Mendo

110. Jimmy's June 7th, 2013 5:17 am

Hi all, I was having the problem with the “trailer is unavailable” everytime I played a movie or tv show I had software version 5.1. I attempted to update the software to the latest version although it would not allow it. So I restored my Apple TV by connecting to my iTunes (and at the same time updated Apple TV software to the latest version 5.2.1), and the retried plex connect and it worked! I am not sure if it was the restoring or updating the software that fixed the problem hopefully this helps!

111. Armand June 7th, 2013 12:42 pm

Since my Plex Server is my File Server / DNS Server / Mail Server, etc.. I cannot run PlexConnect on my Plex Server, so I have it running on a Linux VirtualBox that hosts my spam filter. I run it in the Backgroup by changing the key = raw_input() lines in the PlexConnect.py to an infinite loop..

while True:
    time.sleep(10)

Then I run this in the background as:
    sudo ./PlexConnect.py 2>&1 > output.log &

for some reason, raw_input() cannot be bypassed with redirects, so this hack works beautifully. I left the try finally blocks in, and the except block to trap a ^C abort, though I’m not sure that portion really works as originally intended.

112. Tim June 8th, 2013 8:04 am

For people like me who are already running a webserver on port 80 and a DNS on port 53, it was a bit of a trick to get working.

I ended up disabling the PlexConnect DNS server entirely and remapping the web server to port 8000. From there I created a mini proxy on my default web server (port 80) for trailers.apple.com to the PlexConnect app on port 8000 and modified my default DNS server to resolve the modified IP address. The added benefit is that now all AppleTVs in my house (all 3 of them) work without any modification of the default DHCP server provided DNS. The down side is that I can no longer access trailers.apple.com on my laptop from inside my house – but I think I can live with that. I can also run the PlexConnect app without root permissions since the ports are now considerably higher.

All in all – very cool hack! Great work to those who figured it out!

113. sfenne June 9th, 2013 8:15 am

God dammit! I’m definitely buying / supporting Plex now. Just tested your “mini hack” and its awesome. I’ve been googling “ATV3 JB” for almost a year now…

Works perfectly – I’m so excited!

Plex > all other UPNP servers out there.

Thank you Plex team!

114. Tomas June 9th, 2013 9:40 am

have changed DNS according to ATV 3 in Settings.py, but when it connects using python, there is old DNS…. what’s wrong?

115. Billy June 9th, 2013 5:20 pm

Cant get to pass thru dd 5.1 on a mkv

116. deloco June 9th, 2013 7:57 pm

@Tim I just wanted to tell you all, that I was able to configure PlexConnect, so that all AppleTVs in my Household can access it, without chnage of any Config…
    I use DD-WRT on my router and therin is dnsmasq for DNs purposes. I just configured my router to intercept all connections to trailers.apple.com and route thero my PlexConnect-Server.
    Results ithe same as Tims config… All AppleTVs in my Network automatically access my PlexServer (Yeah!!!).
    Now I just need a way to automatically start PlexConnect with my Server, because I turn the Server off when I don’t need it…

The coolest way would be to launch PlexConnect as Plugin in the Server, but since this doesn’t work, I assume, I need to autostart the Script… Any hint on this?

117. Timo June 10th, 2013 1:33 am
  118. sfenne June 10th, 2013 6:09 am

@deloco platypus :)

119. Kyle June 10th, 2013 11:56 am

Great update guys! Keep up the great work! Any update on a release date for the new GoogleTV app?? :)

120. TN RockyTopper June 12th, 2013 2:39 am

Not sure WHY this PlexConnect feature is so great right now. It seems to go through un-JB’d ATV2/3 units and ONLY plays iTunes movies/music which the units could already accomplish through other available programs in residence. I like the capture aspect of the program, BUT forget using PLEX and get XBMC working through the capture “port”—now we are talking about something. The “unsupported” addons available to get to LetMeWatchThis, through Plex app get up to the cyberlink, but then fail to transcode. Not good yet. Keep up the good work so far.

121. Richard June 12th, 2013 3:46 pm

This is absolutely genius. This is a great workaround while we wait for Apple to open up an App Store for the ATV3. Works exactly as described and easy to set up.

122. patoganzo June 13th, 2013 12:38 am

everything works for me as described on the installation instructions, but! i get an error message after 5 seconds of playing “HDCP required for playback”. I have a Proyector connected to my ATV3 over a adapter HDMI->VGA+AudioCinch. Is it the reason?

123. elan June 13th, 2013 8:45 am

@TN RockyTopper ~ you’re wrong about a number of things, including “only playing iTunes movies/music”.

124. Russ June 13th, 2013 10:07 pm

Élan, could we get new updates from official branch into yours? Many fixes behind…

125. Learning June 14th, 2013 7:02 pm

I configured and it is talking to the PMS. When I launch trailer, it is stuck at ‘accessing trailers’… what is wrong?

126. Mark June 15th, 2013 2:04 am

AS someone asked. Running Plex Connect and Netflix UK/US from outside UK/US with a DNS, will this still work. I am guessing this could be a big issue for many people??

127. institute June 16th, 2013 5:37 am

Mark, yes you can use a DNS service to maintain access to US Netflix (outside of the US). You just put the DNS provided by the service in the Plexconnect settings file as DNSMaster and all non-trailer app calls are passed on.

128. BrandonR June 16th, 2013 8:56 pm

If I can hit lat on Apple TV from my iPad then I’m sold

129. underkaos June 17th, 2013 5:41 am

Great program, final i can turn on my APT3, just one thing, the plex in my laptop runs smoth, in my home server, every time i put some SRT in the movie, he breaks every 3 seconds, im around this for 3 days and i cant see the problema, only in heavy movies, but the same srt, the same vídeo file, in 2 pc dont work the same way….

130. underkaos June 17th, 2013 5:48 am

I just get the error, is in the final version, the other that runs on my laptop was finish in 22, i update and the error is there

131. baglio June 17th, 2013 1:03 pm

Well THIS… IS… AWESOME!
    A big thanks to anyone who comes with this amazing stuff!

THANKS!

132. Mark June 17th, 2013 4:38 pm

I have the same question as others and I am not sure if I am missing the answer or it’s not been answered. I have Jailbroke my ATV (its not currently broke) and have used terminal. So I think I am somewhere between beginner and pro. I just need someone to tell me where and how to install theses files. Are they installed on the computer (MacBook Pro)? Or on the ATV? Do I need to connect my ATV to my MBP? thank you for the help

133. Mark June 17th, 2013 4:54 pm
  134. Mark June 20th, 2013 2:39 am

For Institute: Can you direct me to a good guide for setting up the DNS settings for Netflix within Plex Connect. Thanks.

135. Tom June 20th, 2013 9:58 am

Hi all,

Is the ATV3 limited to video formats/codecs? Put differently, what video formats/codecs can I play with my ATV3 in combination with PlexConnect. I can see the Plex menu structure on the ATV3, but it gives an error when I try to play a movie.

Tom

136. elan June 20th, 2013 9:59 am

@Tom ~ Nope, PMS will transcode. Make sure you have the latest PMS (at least 0.9.7.0).

137. Ed June 20th, 2013 2:17 pm

@Tom is Plexinc version of Plexconnect development stopped or what? I really liked this one over the official version…

138. Ed June 20th, 2013 2:18 pm

Whooops, I mean to say @elan not @Tom

139. elan June 20th, 2013 5:36 pm

@Ed: they’re planning on merging it before too long. If I get bored some other evening I have a few ideas :)

140. Ed June 20th, 2013 6:23 pm

@elan awesome! :) I wonder what few ideas are… :D

141. Ed June 20th, 2013 6:37 pm

Ah bummer… I was hoping I could run PlexConnect on my Mac Mini (G4 running 10.5.8) but it threw me this:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “./PlexConnect.py”, line 14, in
    from multiprocessing import Process, Queue
    ImportError: No module named multiprocessing

I guess it needs multiprocessor?

142. elan June 20th, 2013 6:43 pm

@Ed ~ I think you need Python 2.7+ (or maybe 2.6+).

143. smeagols June 21st, 2013 3:10 am

Is safe to update the ATV to version 5.3?

144. elan June 21st, 2013 1:07 pm

@smeagols ~ yes.

145. Ed June 21st, 2013 2:27 pm

@elan my Mac Mini G4 is running Python 2.5.1
    The FAQ says: Do i need to install Python?: Python comes preinstalled on OSX. If you are running Windows you will need to install Python 2.x (minimum 2.5). Python 3.x is not supported.

Hmm… Should I go ahead get 2.7.5 and install over it? since 10.5.x is no longer updated by Apple and I can’t upgrade to 10.6 on this Mac Mini just to run PlexConnect. I want to start it and forget it.

146. Ed June 21st, 2013 4:08 pm

@elan got 2.7.5 installed and it works! Thanks!

147. Institute June 23rd, 2013 4:57 am

Mark. From the Plexconnect wiki: “I use services such as Unblock-US to access regionally restricted content, will PlexConnect still work?: Yes, just set the “ip_dnsmaster” IP in the “Settings.cfg” file (generated on first run) to your unblock service’s IP.”

148. jimmy pop June 23rd, 2013 4:50 pm

Great idea, and I thank you for it. Though I’m getting an error now with my ATV3 – which pops randomly:

“This is not a test user account, please create a new account in the sandbox environment”

ATV is running 5.3 (6106)
    Plex server is running on an ubuntu box

Unfortunately ATV had a software update at the same time i installed shairport on the ubuntu box.

any ideas would be good. thanks again.

149. Anton June 24th, 2013 12:01 am

Works like a charm, thanks!
    But.. Is it just me, or AirPlay stops working immediately after you change the DNS? As soon as I revert DNS back to the original, it starts working again, bit no Plex Connect in this case, of course. So.. Either AirPlay or Plexconnect?

150. JP June 26th, 2013 9:39 am

Would you update your version, with all the cool visual effects, to include the latest code, that has changed quite a lot since (support for Settings.cfg). That would really be appreciated. Thanks a lot for what you did guys.

151. teddro June 26th, 2013 12:10 pm

Does this allow you to watch Amazon Video through the plex app? This is currently my sticking point for getting ATV3. Thanks!

152. Jamie R June 26th, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi, any news on the update for QNAP. I see the placeholder is on the preview release but no download option yet.

153. Russ June 27th, 2013 3:15 pm

Get bored please ;-) PlexConnect has the potential to be one of the best clients available.

elan June 20th, 2013 5:36 pm “@Ed: they’re planning on merging it before too long. If I get bored some other evening I have a few ideas “

154. Saitoh183 June 28th, 2013 6:21 pm

Anyone get netflix working with the windows versions on a widows PMC?

155. Joel June 29th, 2013 4:49 pm

Is there an easier way to start/stop than changing the directory in terminal on OS X and then starting? Way to make a command?

Sorry, not super familiar with such things in OS X.

156. Tim June 29th, 2013 5:53 pm

With the new AppleTV update (early june) brings a whole bunch of random new apps that aren’t necessary. I modified my setup to hijack the Cruncyroll app rather than the Trailers app (since the trailers app is actually pretty useful). Not sure if this is supported now in the main source branch, but would be a nice config feature to select which app you want to take over.

157. muda June 30th, 2013 8:18 pm

thank you so much. I was almost a day away from signing up for another cable subscription. but thought would do some more googleing. and now I have more tv than I could watch in a life time. those shows that can’t be seen any where else. “Andromeda! anyone?”

158. jack July 1st, 2013 6:39 am

Ditto on automating the startup with Plex Media server…..now wondering if I should buy Apple TV 3 ! Great Work !

159. Moli July 1st, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi, i´ve done a new plex connect tutorial for apple tv 3…step by step, very easy to follow

160. Tim July 2nd, 2013 11:39 am

I’ve put together a quick set of instructions for remapping PlexConnect from the Trailers app to the new Crunchyroll app so you don’t lose the default Trailers functionality. It is available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s48YS7dDZ1hgttRJOmrmIsw9kYtOlE-OKKmSkyMKcXs/edit?usp=sharing

161. Morne July 3rd, 2013 10:02 am

@elan I agree with others, your version of PlexConnect is by far more beautiful and user friendly than the official version (even after 0.1 was released).

Can you please tell us if they are going to merge the two branches, or is there at least a newer version of the one I got from Github on the 6th of June (https://github.com/plexinc/PlexConnect/tree/new-movie-sections)

The mod you guys did in a short time is much more impressive. Is this a dead-end? I really hope not.

Regards

162. elan July 3rd, 2013 3:01 pm

@Morne ~ they just merged over all the changes :)

163. Jose Carlos July 4th, 2013 4:24 am

TUTORIAL PLEX CONNECT APPLE TV IOS 5.3

164. Exivus July 4th, 2013 5:07 am

This may make Apple TV the most perfect platform extender. I think better than Roku.

165. Jeremy July 4th, 2013 9:43 am

I’m currently running Firecore’s ATV Flash with all my media on a hard drive connected to Airport Extreme. I’d love to have the latest iOS (need untethered JB) for HBO Go. Am I correct in assuming that I couldn’t pull off such a setup with PlexConnect, and will need my MacBook Pro to be running at all times?

166. Slak July 4th, 2013 2:15 pm

This is terrific, I just have it installed on an Apple TV2 and 3. It does work and works far better than the previous version where I had the ATV2 jailbroken. For some reason using Plex then caused much chopping. None of this now. in fact it will play any file format I throw at it without hesitation, even 1080p files in surround.

I was keenly waiting for a jailbreak solution for both my Apple TVs in order to finally use Plex again. Well, now I no longer need to wait or bother jailbreaking them, as this solution works very, very well.

One note about those that much like me has a DNS change in order to get Netflix from the US and other countries (I’m not in the US) – you can only get local Netflix if using Plexconnect – however to change it over is a simple process that only takes a few seconds, just need to switch the DNS in appletv to auto. Then add your host machine’s IP back to the ATV when you want to run Plex again. Small price to pay for something that works so well.

For anyone wondering: Plex will play ANY video format, including MKV files without you having to first convert them. Forget using itunes to play your media, it’s a painful process that only plays one format and NOT in surround sound. itunes truly is a horrible, useless app. I have Plex Media Manager installed on my Mac and love the capability to play anything I throw at it. Thanks guys so much for creating a superb app and for being so clever to find that exploit. Lets just hope Apple doesn’t plug it as I’d hate to lose Plex. For this reason I’m not updating my Apple TVs, which are currently running on 5.2.1

Cheers and many thanks

167. Morne July 5th, 2013 3:53 am

@elan, that’s great news! Thank you. Can I just download the latest version of the files from GitHub to see the merged changes? I assume it’s not part of an official release yet.

Cheers

168. elan July 5th, 2013 9:01 am

@Morne ~ Yeah, just grab from GitHub, HEAD is usually stable :)

169. Nasty52 July 8th, 2013 1:50 pm

Hello, I think I have a very legitimate request here and I would appreciate some feedback from the PLEX team on this please…
    I am using an ATV3 and I read about your service online. Now, I also read some of the comments and I would like you to know that I do not mind at all to support the developers of this service I’ve read so many great things about. I’m not a hacker, I’m just a regular guy who would like to stream some movies to my ATV via PLEX. Now Im asking if you can help me get started,

A. Where can I sign up and make a donation/subscription/etc.
    B. How can I get this installed on my ATV3 (Version 5.2) in the easiest way possible so I can start watching some movies?

Thank You.

170. Nasty52 July 8th, 2013 2:16 pm

Ok i got Plex connect working on my ATV3 but how do I download content for streaming?

171. elan July 8th, 2013 3:45 pm

@Nasty52 ~ your best bet is to start with the Wiki of the PlexConnect team over here: https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki

172. Jackson July 9th, 2013 6:58 am

WOW!!! This is seriously awesome news!! I can’t wait until I get home tonight to try it out. I have one main plex server running on a MacMini (which doubles as a Plex Home Theatre client – and a bunch of iOS devices and a couple Roku’s — and now all my new Apple TV’s will be able to access Plex. This is fantabulous!!!!

173. Morne July 10th, 2013 2:18 am

Works beautifully, thanks @elan. This alpha version of PlexConnect already made me stop using my WDTVLiveHub altogether :) Now I only use it as a NAS device. Thanks again.

174. Kinky July 10th, 2013 5:33 am

Awesomesauce!
    What kind of coffee do you guys drink over there.
    Donating right now.

Cheers!

175. Slak July 11th, 2013 5:33 am

For anyone reading this that isn’t sure if you should bother using this app, please take note: AppleTV is a great device but given Apple’s imposed limitations, it isn’t all that it could be. Plex turns your Apple TV2 or 3 into a powerful, useful media player (media that’s stored in your computer).

Apple forces you to use itunes to play a few files from your computer. If you have a movie for instance that isn’t compatible with itunes, then you can’t play that on your AppleTV. Plex frees you from this horrible limitation. It lets you play any mkv movies and anything else. It truly is a remarkable app that makes you happy you own an AppleTV. Best of all you don’t need to jailbreak the ATV, as used to be the case in the past.

Sure, the instructions on installation are crude at best and even I had some trouble figuring it out. But if unsure ask questions. It does work, and works extremely well. Plex team did a wonderful job on the interface that displays your content (movies, pictures, etc stored in your host computer). I am enjoying this so much that I”m now hesitant to update my ATV firmware as I’m scared it will break Plex. Can someone please confirm if it works with the latest update? I’m on 5.2.1 and there’s a new update that I’d like to update if someone can confirm that I can still use Plex after that. Thanks so much, guys. Wish I was in a position to make a contribution but at this time all I can do it thank you for creating the best thing ever on AppleTV

176. Me July 11th, 2013 10:03 am

yup, it works with the latest update.

177. Ed July 16th, 2013 6:50 pm

@elan … Looks like you probably helped the sales of AppleTV due to Plexconnect heh…

178. Me July 17th, 2013 7:07 am

definitely..this hack is the reason i bought another atv. let’s hope apple doesn’t patch it on the next update..

179. johnre July 19th, 2013 3:41 am

Will this work(connect) to a plex media server which is not on the same LAN as the AppleTV?- Can it connect to remote static IP?
    I currently have my plex media server at my office and use the iOS app and airplay, which works great, but I would love you have it directly operationally on my Apple TV

180. johnre July 19th, 2013 3:46 am

Whoops read more carefully and answered my own question
    saw this in the install instructions

“re-route the request to your local Plex Media Server”

181. Dougmega July 23rd, 2013 12:35 am

Hey guys, great work! i have been using it flat out! however i do come across an error from time to time jsut wondering if you could help out

File “/Users/*******/PlexConnect/DNSServer.py”, line 160, in Run
    DNS_forward.sendto(data, (Settings.getIP_DNSmaster(), 53))
    error: [Errno 65] No route to host

any info would be great

cheers

182. Dennis July 23rd, 2013 3:53 pm

I got this working. One improvement I would add is the ability to delete watched shows like you can in Roku or PlexWeb

183. Lena July 31st, 2013 9:53 am

Guys, please don’t hurt me.. But.. Yes, I am quite new to the wonderful world of Plex. I’ve been using it in astonishing amazement on my iMac for a bit now and I absolutely love it. Specifically, the interface. Good god I love that beautiful interface. So my boyfriend bought us an appleTV without knowing much about it, and assumed we could just *boop* have the Plex we have on our iMac, on our new appleTV. This little trick looks like it definitely deserves some praise, and I’m excited to try it out, however.. I am simply not a fan of appleTV’s interface. I love how Plex looks on my iMac, is there ever going to be a way I can enjoy that beauty on my tv, or is it doomed to grace those only who sit before the iMac’s not-as-guest-friendly screen? Sorry if this has already been a topic of discussion, I’m new at this. :]

184. Chris Blackburn August 1st, 2013 4:57 am

I have been DYING for a way to watch my media library (WITHOUT ITUNES) on my “non-jailbroken” ATV3 for months and months, and when I heard about PlexConnect (and hadn’t even heard about Plex before) I immediately became a Plex fanboy. Absolute genious – an infinite number of “thank you’s” can’t express enough!

185. RickO August 6th, 2013 11:27 am

Worked like a charm! Simple and easy setup, even easier execution. Keep up the great work! Possibly looking at picking up another ATV just because of this.

186. shezandingy August 7th, 2013 5:48 am

Sorry to be of bother but can this simple question be answered… can plex connect be installed on a ReadyNAS 312 that is running version 6.0.8?? I’ve seen similar comments stating the issue I have.
    I currently have it running on my laptop to enable my ATV to use plex. I’m trying to get away from this because it means having the laptop on in the back ground as a middle man.
    Lets be honest, Plex is amazing. I have it on all iphones, ipads, android and also Samsung Smart TV. If we could crack Plex connect on ATV without the use of laptop, that would make my year!!!
    Best wishes to all!!! lol :-)

187. Dubz August 19th, 2013 6:58 am

This is a tutorial to make atv 2 tethered or untethered or non jailbroken atv3 work with plex media center via plexconnect. I was having issues with my atv2 contantly resetting during watching movies during Mashup during every movie and occasionaly while watching content on plex every few days. My apple tv is running an untethered jailbreak on 5.0.2 (9B803) but from what I understand this should work on other firmware as well only 5.x and up since it needs the trailers app to function. This is also a tutorial for pms for mac only I do not own a pc so I personally cannot answer any questions on that topic but im sure its possible as well. I am not resposible if you brick your device, this how to is for informational purposes only. I have tested on two devices with no issues whatsoever use at your own risk! Ok now that thats over to the good stuff This has also solved the “memory leak issues that have plagued the atv 2 untethered 5.0.2 seasonpass jb” I have yet to see a warning low memory or crash since I have gone this route as stated on the main wiki page http://wiki.plexapp….Nine_Client_ATV

Delete plex client on your device or dont install it in the first place if you have atv flash black this should be a breeze for you. Otherwise google is your friend search for your answer!

Download plexconnect on your mac from here: https://github.com/i….allation-guide

Unzip, rename the folder to plexconnect and place the unzipped folder in your /users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE directory

Now to the autostarting plexconnect via launchctl

First, we need to make it quit if it manages to start before PMS, so launchctl can retry in 10s. Open up PlexGDM.py and search for the line ‘No servers discovered’. Insert a line below this, at the same indentation, and add: sys.exit(1)

Next, we need to make it work without any access to the keyboard. Open up PlexConnect.py, look for the line that says ‘try:’, and delete this line *and every other line after it*. Don’t worry, all you’re removing is the ability for it to cleanly shut down if the user presses a key.

Next, create com.plex.plexconnect.plist with the following:

Label
    com.plex.plexconnect
    WorkingDirectory
    /Users/chris/PlexConnect
    ProgramArguments

/Users/chris/PlexConnect/PlexConnect.py

RunAtLoad

KeepAlive

Edit this file, changing the *two* instances of ‘Users/chris/PlexConnect’ to the correct folder that you’ve installed PlexConnect in.

YOU WILL HAVE ERRORS IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW ALL THE ABOVE STEPS FOR LAUNCHCTL EXACTLY YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES AND I WILL HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR YOU DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU SKIPPED ANYTHING TRUST ME!

Go into the terminal, change into your plexconnect folder, and do the following:

sudo cp com.plex.plexconnect.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/
    sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.plex.plexconnect.plist
    sudo launchctl start com.plex.plexconnect

Now goto your atv and change your network to manual and dont change anything but your dns to point to your pms server for example mine is 192.168.1.25 for my mac

Enable trailers on your atv if its disabled in parental controls and enjoy plex via the trailers app based on java on your apple tv!

188. Morne August 28th, 2013 10:23 am

Guys, my PlexConnect suddenly stopped working (Trailers can’t access Media Server – spinning wheel until it fails after a while). This the exact same day (yesterday, 27August) when Apple pushed new Apps to the Apple TV (DisneyXD, The Weather Channel, Vevo channel etc.)

Did Apple by change the Trailers app in some way that PlexConnect can’t intercept the Trailers App? Perhaps switched over to HTTPS? Anyone, or is it just me who suddenly has this problem? I didn’t change anything – it just stopped working.

Regards

189. elan August 28th, 2013 11:26 am
  190. Morne August 28th, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks elan, looks like my suspicions regarding HTTPS was close.

Tried the hack, and it works :) thank you!

“Landing page” doesn’t look so nice with the latest PlexConnect pull from GIT (does not have your cool rolling posters per category under the Library tab), but just relieved it’s working again.

Thanks again.

191. Martin Koster September 11th, 2013 3:28 am

Hello, I really like the plexconnect idea.

But I was wondering. I have a Synology NAS (713+) and I can install the PMS on that NAS.
    However when the NAS needs to do encoding, then it shoots into 100% CPU, because it can not handle it correctly (especially if I want subtitles in my movie).

My question is this:
    Will I no longer have this problem if I use Plexconnect?
    Can my ATV3 do the encoding/transcoding whenever necessary?

Then my PMS on my NAS can only function as a repository or something.

192. herojig September 23rd, 2013 5:39 pm

PlexConnect is utterly fantastic for my aTV 3rd gen. But will it work if I upgrade the black box to aTV v6.0? It’s working great in 5.3, but I would like the new features that Apple just released, but not at the risk of messing up Plex. Please email me with a reply, if possible. thx!

193. Rens Verhage October 6th, 2013 5:09 am

I just upgraded my Apple TV to 6.0 and Plex still works, it is safe to upgrade :)

194. Ian October 13th, 2013 6:20 am

Hi All,

I’ve just been following the links above to get plex back on my ATV, when trying to upload the configuration via iPhone configuration utility i’m getting an error:

Click on install and it says
    Value cannot be null,
    Parameter name:cert

Any ideas please?

195. Nate October 24th, 2013 4:06 am

Scenario: Sister & Brother-in-law have ATV3, but dont’ run PMS themselves. I created a myPlex login for them and I have shared my server with them. Will plex connect work for them to only stream from my server or do they need to run their own instance of PMS? Thanks in advance.

196. Dino Strei October 29th, 2013 11:55 am

Scary now i will in no way acquire 1 once again

197. Mark October 29th, 2013 11:37 pm

If i use an ATV3 do i still need my computer running in the background to stream content, or can i simply add a external hard drive with my content, leaving my laptop off?

198. dashony November 16th, 2013 9:26 pm

Finally got it working. Thanks guys I can now watch my movies from my PC onto my TV through ATV3. I’m on the latest firmware on my ATV3 v6.0.2 working just fine. Straight forward instructions from you guys. I picked up bits and pieces of info from different sources on how to get PlexConnect working but I ended up deleting everything and starting fresh with your tutorial and got it working from first try. Thanks a lot! I appreciate your service and it’s free. What more can we ask for!? Now I’m looking to find out what else the setup can do apart from streaming music, photos and movies from PC to TV.

199. Thomas Tomchak December 22nd, 2013 4:55 pm

I have been so tempted to get a Roku just so I could have a dedicated Plex client, and then I found this!

What a great example of creative thinking, and a creative solution to a problem. I can’t believe how well it works.

Thank you to those who came up with the idea and did such a great job executing it.

200. AntikytheraTech December 26th, 2013 7:42 am

Can’t say thanks enough for this! I have been struggling along with a 1st gen Logitech Revue Google TV – which has been a traumatizing/frustrating/disheartening experience to say the least. Having native Plex support was nice, but it often crashed and usually had issues with audio track playback and buffering. A friend got me an ATV3 for Christmas yesterday so I was eager to see if there was Plex support for this – after sadly seeing there was not I kept searching and found this. I was a little bewildered at first and was having issues getting it working – then I read back through this article more closely and found the link to the wiki which then lead me to the detailed installation guide :foreheadslap: Needless to say once I sat down and diligently followed the detailed instructions (it does not take very long, maybe ~10 min) I have it up and running. My Christmas just got much more merry! Thanks again!

201. Jess January 2nd, 2014 9:00 am

Any news regarding an automated installer? Also does this work with the Asustor 604 series with Plex server install?

Cheers,

202. Ed January 4th, 2014 5:45 am

Has anyone had trouble lately? I had PlexConnect and ATV3 working perfectly before, but now all of a sudden, it is failing when trying to log into myPlex.

203. elan January 4th, 2014 11:55 am

@Ed: they might need to change the hostname to “plex.tv” if their client doesn’t handle redirects.

204. Ed January 5th, 2014 4:40 am

Thanks, elan. “They” meaning who? Is there something I could/should do in the meantime?

205. FreakNL January 5th, 2014 4:46 am

@Ed, no, still works perfectly. Watched a movie on a remote location (through myplex) yesterday. Maybe you should update to the latest release?

206. elan January 6th, 2014 12:46 pm

@Ed: the authors of PlexConnect; it’s developed by a third party, not us ~ https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/forum/136-appletv-plexconnect/

207. stuart January 23rd, 2014 5:02 pm

Any plans to be able to add Plex app back on Apple TV 2 ?
    I have 5.02 firmware but no matter what I do XBMC still clashes with it, and boots me out.

208. elan January 24th, 2014 11:54 am

@stuart ~ use PlexConnect http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/ ~ can be used with ATV3 and no need for messy jailbreak.

209. neil January 30th, 2014 2:27 am

So just to clarify, I still need my pc running the PMS when I access PlexConnect?

210. elan February 1st, 2014 7:00 pm

@neil ~ correct.

211. Walt February 24th, 2014 10:52 am

Just wondering if i can get other people’s library that i am sharing with to show on apple tv 3. I check MyPlex and all it says is “PlexConnect No Plex Library Sections Available.

Please & Thanks

212. Walt February 25th, 2014 9:49 am

updated Plex connect and problem solved

213. khalid March 19th, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks to you guys, my ATV3 is no longer just a $99 waste. Thank you for your efforts!!

214. Peter Payne April 17th, 2014 11:34 am

Wow, I hate to say it but this is another one of those really cool things that is useless because the person who developed it assumes we all know python, or where to put the python program (on our PC? on our Mac? on our Apple TV directly somehow?). Why don’t we just recompile the kernal while we’re at it, no problem.

A step by step guide, showing what to actually do for an Apple TV user with a Mac and a PC would be so great. Can anyone point me to this?