Plex 3.2 for iOS released - Plex Blog

Plex 3.2 for iOS released

| 27 May 2013 | by 45 Comments

Greetings to all our iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users! Although Android has been getting all the attention recently, rest assured that the iOS team have been working hard in the background!

We’ve got some great changes & new features to share with you in the next major update. However, we realise that the recent changes to the filtering features have made using the app less simple and enjoyable for some users, particularly those with large libraries. We didn’t want to leave you all waiting until the next big update to resolve those issues, so we’re very happy to bring you a small update to address the main problems.

First of all, we’ve added paging support to the app. Without going into too many techincal details, this means that the app requests media information in batches rather than asking for all the information at once. This makes section loading and filtering incredibly fast. You’ll notice the difference no matter how large your library is, but it’ll make a huge difference over remote connections or when accessing large libraries.

We’ve also addressed all known issues relating to PlexSync, including one awful issue that could cause all synced content to be removed when syncing over a slow or unreliable network connection. This should make syncing content far more reliable, which is obviously very important to us considering it’s a premium feature.

While paging addresses the most common complaints with the recent versions of the app, we didn’t feel like we’d done enough to warrant an update from 3.1 to 3.2, so we added another small feature – remote playback! Plex/iOS will now advertise as a player, allowing you to fling content and control playback from any Plex client supporting remote playback to the iOS client.

1. Nick May 27th, 2013 8:01 pm

Always nice to have an update, no matter how small! One thing I’ve noticed with PlexSync that may have been addressed here: when I watch a synced show while in Airplane Mode, and then I disable Airplane Mode and let Plex sync again, it re-marks my phone’s synced content as unwatched, rather than reporting back to the server that it’s been watched now. I’m assuming this is because it was watched when it couldn’t communicate with the server, and then the server syncing to the phone is higher priority later on when a connection is established.

2. xain09 May 27th, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanx for all the work again. I’ll download it ASAP :)

3. Kristof B. May 27th, 2013 8:42 pm

Wow. Until now I’ve always liked Plex’ updates, but I’m not really sure about this one. Let me elaborate: we’re using Plex in a school environment, it servers as a media server to about 700 pupils, offering educational videos, teacher’s material etc. It has always worked flawlessly, pupils were able to work individually.

But now, you’re adding remote control. Let me explain what this means for us:

- Pupils in the same class can control other pupil’s Plex players.
    - Pupils can also control other pupil’s players from the other side of the school, without anyone knowing who’s being the culprit.
    - Pupils can control the teacher’s Plex app, who could be showing content to an entire class.

Isn’t there an option of an own personal password that needs to be entered before anyone can take over you’re Plex player? Apparantely, there isn’t, but if there won’t in the future, I’m afraid we’re going to have to drop using Plex altogether, which would be disastrous.

Hopefully, some feedback and/or solutions!

4. osplo May 27th, 2013 9:04 pm

So, Barkley does not approve this release?

5. samukas May 27th, 2013 9:10 pm

I’ve also had issues with the watched/unwatched flag and progress not being set corectly at times, I made this post a while ago, but no answer: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/64377-ios-31-watched-flagsprogress-not-working/

6. elan May 27th, 2013 10:10 pm

@Kristof ~ I’ve added an issue internally for us to discuss.

@osplo ~ duh, he uses a BarkBerry.

7. MichalM.Mac May 27th, 2013 10:17 pm

I plead for muliple encoding support. UTF-8 is great but local subtitle makers use national encoding win-1250. I don’t want to convert subs on daily basic. Thx :-)

8. Joe May 27th, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks for continuing to improve Plex. I simply couldn’t do without Plex. But updating to Plex 3.2 on iPod Touch on OS6.1.3 broke all ability to play any videos from a 0.9.6.9 Plex server on Win7. Yes, I’m a little behind in the server updates but stayed with a stable release since I haven’t needed any of the new features. Other Plex clients are working fine and iPod Touch worked fine prior to this update. Will post something in the forums. Now if only Apple would give me the ability to downgrade an app version….

9. Ozzie May 28th, 2013 12:25 am

In the next update can you include these simple things:
    - attached link of trailer to movie/tv show in PC, iPad and iPhone. It would be great when browsing what to watch.
    - make the player on pc play Standard Definition sharper.
    - why is there lag when playing file on PC via Plex. It shouldn’t even have load at all…much.
    Thx Ozzie

10. chris walker May 28th, 2013 12:37 am

Since the update i can no longer add or remove channels, is there a problem with this feature?? Thanks

11. chris walker May 28th, 2013 12:38 am

Forgot to mention getting this error ‘The channel directory is currently unavailable.’

12. Martin May 28th, 2013 1:33 am

@ Elan. Isn’t it great to see Plex being used in different ways besides the typical home theatre use cases? It’s used in schools, and by people with inconsistent internet access on overseas military bases, and those like me that travel a lot with their laptops.

I’m hoping one day Plex will not require cloud based sync lists in order for PlexSync to work. Plex is perfection when I have Internet connectivity, but it sucks when I am on the road as I can’t sync in order add or even to delete content from my iPad.

I see from your previous blog post that you were taken aback by the number of people complaining about being forced to use MyPlex for whatever reason. The “cloud” doesn’t work for everyone. Yes, some of the cloud based features of Plex are nice, but it should not be mandatory if someone wishes to add or delete content to/from their devices. I hope you and your team will add features that will make Plex work better in different scenarios, including mine. Keep up the great work!

More importantly, we use Plex only to see pictures of Barkley. Where’s Barkley??!!! What are you not telling us??!!! We demand to see him! Don’t make us call the authorities, LOL.

-Martin

13. dev May 28th, 2013 1:45 am

Joe you should save your .ipa first. Anyway, update your windows. This is not the plex issue if you’re using an old media server. This is a fast developing app. Updates are crucial.

14. Wunderwally May 28th, 2013 2:26 am

Hey, i always get a “remote Play failed” on both of my iOS Devices (iPhone 5 and iPad Mini) What can i do about it? (latest Mac OSX, latest iOS Version, latest Version of Plex App and latest Serverrelease)

15. Everton May 28th, 2013 3:04 am

Idk if it has changed yet, but when we are syncing files on plexsync would be nice to turn off the idle timer, like this:
    [[UIApplication sharedApplication] setIdleTimerDisabled:YES];

thnx ;)

16. [...] Plex announced a new version of Plex for iOS, bringing the universal app to version 3.2. While this version mostly improves the speed of filtered views for media libraries, the app itself can now be used to throw content to any Plex content as well. [...]

17. Kofi May 28th, 2013 3:48 am

Me, too. Still I am able to play my server’s Videos over Plex/Web. But since I updated iPlex tells me, that my media files are not available. I use Plex Server 0.9.7.26, Plex/Web 1.1.3 and now iPlex 3.2. Will look into forum for further help. (Would be cool to solve this early, because I will go on a 9 hour flight these days, and i wanted to use Plex sync for this)

18. Kofi May 28th, 2013 4:09 am

For all who experience the same problem as me or Joe: Re-analyze media in your Plex Server (in every category you have). This fixes the broken access to your media files.

19. Evans May 28th, 2013 4:49 am

Glad to see iOS in the spotlight again :) I use plex almost everyday and honestly could not live without it. Thanks team.

20. meltman May 28th, 2013 4:53 am

Why does the category type “Home Movies” still use the wrong icon? This is the only plex client that uses the “Movies” icon for “Home Movies” categories.

21. james May 28th, 2013 6:57 am

@chris walker: This sounds like an issue with your media server. Are you able to add or remove channels using other Plex clients?

22. james May 28th, 2013 7:00 am

@Wunderwally: Sorry you’re having issues! Can you head over to the forum and provide a bit more information:

What are you trying to play?
    Where are you trying to send the content from & to (e.g. playing from your iPhone to your iPad)?
    Where is the error displayed – on the device you’re trying to start playback from, or the device you’re trying to send content to?

23. james May 28th, 2013 7:02 am

@Everton: The idle timer is disabled when they sync status view is visible, and the app will continue syncing in the background if it goes to sleep :)

24. Ankur May 28th, 2013 8:01 am

That moment when you see an update badge on the app store icon, and you hope it is plex… AND IT IS! Best 10 seconds of my day.

On a separate note, you guys have GOT to do a post about the DROBO 5N and the new plex app! I’d love to see screenshots/videocast of how it all works. Now I’m sold on the Drobo completely.

You guys rock!

25. [...] Plex announced a new version of Plex for iOS, bringing the universal app to version 3.2. While this version mostly improves the speed of filtered views for media libraries, the app itself can now be used to throw content to any Plex content as well. [...]

26. Nick May 28th, 2013 6:06 pm

“Plex/iOS will now advertise as a player, allowing you to fling content and control playback from any Plex client supporting remote playback to the iOS client.”

It’s been a long day so perhaps my brain is running slow, but I’m not sure how to do this. Any directions available?

27. Carl May 29th, 2013 12:18 am

Hi! i have a plex media server connected to atv3 and a new reciver and i cant get any 5.1 sound from plex. it works good from netflix on the atv3 but not on pled-streamed videos. And i have choosen a video that has 5.1 sound of course which i can see in the info. Does anyone know how to get it to work? i have tried alot differnt settings but it will only play in stereo.
    //Csrl

28. Jonathan May 29th, 2013 1:26 am

Thanks for your hard work. Plex is amazing!

My short wish list for fixes:
    * Fix the quality issue of transcoding ripped DVDs I described here: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/68164-shearing-and-generally-bad-quality-of-transcoded-dvd-rips/
    * Make the combination of two-part videos and universal transcoder work in the iPhone app. It would be great if it could also make the switch to the next part of the video even if the screen is locked (playing on Airplay), something that doesn’t work with the old transcoder as it is now.

29. james May 29th, 2013 3:45 am

@Carl: The media server doesn’t currently support streaming 5.1 audio over AirPlay. We’ll be addressing this in a future update – keep an eye on the release notes!

30. meltman May 29th, 2013 4:03 am

@James: We *need* the 5.1 over airplay since the native plex client on ATV2 is super buggy and Apple still hasn’t opened an app store. I really hope to see it in the next release. Appreciate the work.

31. james May 29th, 2013 7:22 am

@meltman: This should already work if you’re using the latest PlexPass release of the media server. The next public release will include it too, but I’m not sure when that’ll be yet :)

32. meltman May 29th, 2013 10:07 am

@James: Yep I just saw that today immediately after posting that! Color me excited. I’m going to go try it out tonight.

33. Patrick May 29th, 2013 12:02 pm

Just upgraded plex on my iPad and apart from splash screen, it no longer works……..just drops out!!!, help, fix it quick

34. dimitri May 30th, 2013 3:43 am

hello,

Plex is a great app, I use everyday, but since few weeks, I think from the last update, with the ios app, I have no more opportunity to change audio or subtitles I have this message “Unable to select stream, alternative streams can’t be selected for shared content from this server”, I have to change on my server then go back to my app,I have the latest versions on server, I change nothing, I have myplesk account signed on the server and in the app. Don’t know what to do ?

I really think to switch because I can’t find answers to that problems (reinstall, …) It’s really annoying for an everyday uses. I hope you can understand

Thanks a lot

35. Jan May 30th, 2013 6:27 am

Running latest versions of Plex server, IOS 6.1.1 and latest plex client update. After the update on ipad Plex can no longer play movies or music. Get the following error message when trying to play:

“media not available
    the video you are trying to play is currently unavailable, or the file doesn’t exist. Please check that your media drives are connected and powered on, then try again.”

I have tried re-analysing library, deactivating universal transcoder and restarting/re-installing. My ipad4 just gives same message.

Works fine on PC client over same network.

Help appreciated!

36. james May 30th, 2013 6:30 am

@dimitri: Sorry you’re having trouble! Are you certain that both the app and the server are signed in to the same account? Can you try tapping the Servers button on the bottom toolbar & re-selecting the server you want to connect to? If you’re still having problems, please head over to the forums & we can track the issue further there :)

37. james May 30th, 2013 6:31 am

@Jan: Which version of the server are you using? We’ve had reports of this issue with older servers, and have a new version waiting for review by Apple that will fix the problem, but any 0.9.7.x server shouldn’t be affected.

38. Jan May 30th, 2013 7:28 am

Update from within plex has always told me I had the latest version when I checked. Turns out I was running pre-0.9.7 version. Downloaded and installed new media server and all works great now! Even the app on my samsung TV.

Thanks! :-)

39. james May 30th, 2013 7:30 am

@Jan: Excellent news! Thanks for reporting back & letting us know :)

40. Keith May 30th, 2013 3:25 pm

“Media not available” on iPad. Roku fine. Kindle Fire fine. Soooo… Do I upgrade the server to get the iPad working again but risk breaking the TV and the wife’s kindle? I think not. Whatever you did to break the ios version, would you please reverse it???

41. james May 30th, 2013 3:28 pm

@Keith: An update is already waiting for review by Apple. However, I urge you to at least try an updated version, if only to get the latest transcoder fixes – if this isn’t working, the server you are running is at minimum almost 9 months old, which is a long time in the Plex world :) You can always roll back to the current one if something else breaks.

42. Keith May 30th, 2013 3:41 pm

I’ve been a plex believer for a while, so yes I am using an old server version. That is a testament to the stability of the product and it’s just frustrating to all of a sudden lose the capability while fearing a change could possibly cause problems with the wife. It’s great news to hear a fix is already out there. Keep up the good work and thanks.

43. james May 30th, 2013 3:45 pm

I understand it’s frustrating – I’m very sorry this slipped past! The issue never came up during testing; nobody on our test team thought to try the older versions so it went unnoticed :( We certainly appreciate you being a believer – I hope that if you do try a newer version it doesn’t cause you any issues, and that Apple approve the update quickly if you decide to stick with the version you have now :)

44. JonnyJC May 31st, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks for the update. I have just purchased Plex on Ipad but it reports a “media not available” error to every video I play on my vortexbox server. I can play the same videos on my Android Plex. what can i do?

45. Joe June 2nd, 2013 11:13 pm

Thank you for the quick v.3.2.1 to the iOS client. Now it works perfectly again with my v.0.9.6.9 Plex server. Love it!