Plex Media Server v0.9.7.19 - Thrones & Zombies edition - Plex Blog

Plex Media Server v0.9.7.19 – Thrones & Zombies edition

| 31 Mar 2013 | by 62 Comments

You think we rest on Easter Sunday? Think again.

We have a nice Plex Media Server update for you today, mostly focusing on transcoder fixes and improvements, including a rather significant speed up: when syncing or streaming with the new transcoder, you will see up to a 2x speedup over the last release.

You can read all the detailed changes since the last public release here. We’ve created a set of forums which list all the changes for each of our products to make it easier for you to both see what’s changed, and to allow subscribing via the forums if you’d like to receive an email when we make releases!

You can download the release in the usual place.

Here’s Barkley this morning, playing on the beach.

IMG 3263

And here he is, on the couch, waiting for the Game of Thrones season premier (“What the woof, how much longer??”).

P43A9994

We hope you all had a great weekend!

1. Nick March 31st, 2013 10:18 pm

Again +1, great to see all the hard work and updates.
    I love Plex so much : 0

2. HandySam March 31st, 2013 10:23 pm

Nice one, keep up the excellent work!!!

Really love plex!

3. Radar March 31st, 2013 10:24 pm

Hello Elan, thanks for working for us week-ends and holidays.
    I look, desperately, in each of the PMS releases, if you have fixed the naming of synced content. In some situations, you have only the season number without knowing which show it is.
    I have to admit that it’s not a big issue and it won’t make me use something else than plex.

4. elan March 31st, 2013 10:30 pm

@Radar: Can you give me a link to a forum post describing the issue? We’ve had one report that syncing a season, specifically, names the sync item incompletely, but I’m unclear about your issue specifically. The converted files, as stored on the device, are named with IDs, but aren’t intended for anyone other than the Plex app itself to consume, if that’s what you mean.

5. Iveldie March 31st, 2013 11:02 pm

I m still using plex 0.9.5, latest version dosent play videos withs dts sound. There s a lot of people with this problem and its not solved in everey new version. Is soved in this one?

this is the post of the issue http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/31479-sound-breaks-after-dts-playback-optical-out/

6. radar March 31st, 2013 11:11 pm
  7. Lucas March 31st, 2013 11:15 pm

Nice Job who ever rick rolled on the Web client. I love that kind of humor :D

8. RockStar March 31st, 2013 11:19 pm

I understand what 2x speedup means for syncing, but what does it mean for transcoding? Half the resources?

9. Uniel March 31st, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi Elan,
    Thanks for the update. After updating to this version of the server, scrubbing in the iOS app is somewhat broken. For example, when scrubbing to the end of a movie, I end up somewhere in the middle of the movie. When reverting to the previous version of the server the problem is gone, updating again and the problem return.

10. LosLoco April 1st, 2013 12:08 am

The only thing I hope to see, when reading the changelog’s, is just a hint that work is being done to address the problems a lot of people are having with PMS and WDTV Live (3rd gen). Numerous posts in the forums supply log-files and descriptions of the problem, but absolutely no word on any progress made to fix this :(

Such a shame, that a lot of us have to look around for other DLNA-services, as PLEX is otherwise the ultimate entertainment-setup :(

11. Ben April 1st, 2013 12:19 am

Hi, and thanks again for yet another update on Plex Media Server. Good work.
    I’ve been using Plex on all of my devices (Android, iPad and OS X) but I really need gapless playback on my FLAC files. There still isn’t any support for this other than on OS X. I really want this to work on my mobile devices as well. Are there any plans to implement this in the near future? This would make PLEX almost perfect! Thanks.

12. Naga April 1st, 2013 12:25 am

I downloaded the latest server update for my Synology server and successfully installed it. When I tried to watch a video via Plex/Web, to my surprise, I was rickroll’d. I checked the file path of the movie, nothing was unusual. I attempted to watch the same movie again, everything was back to normal.

April fools joke from Plex?

13. HeldDerArbeit April 1st, 2013 12:31 am

I get a “Invalid file format”-exception while trying to install this version on my Synology 212j(ARM). PLZ have a look a this..

14. Daniel April 1st, 2013 12:31 am

I downloaded the new release for ReadyNAS ARM. It is only 98Kb, the previous one was 70,2Mb. I do not dare installing this new version, because that can not be right?

15. Uniel April 1st, 2013 12:41 am

To continue my previous post, scrubbing in the web interface doesn’t seem to work as expected either. I’m using MKVs.

16. Jelly April 1st, 2013 1:18 am

Love the “surprise” with the new PMS… Even better, I was showing Plex to my Dad for the first time when it came up!

17. Linus April 1st, 2013 1:44 am

After installing this version on my Intel based Readynas playing video is no longer working. Not with samsung-tv, android or web client. Is it possible to download the previus version until this i fixed with a new release?

18. Mauro April 1st, 2013 2:40 am

the ReadyNas (arm) version is only 98Kb ?!?

19. Mårten April 1st, 2013 2:54 am

Great work as usual. Keep up the pace and the good work! :)

20. Adam April 1st, 2013 3:57 am

Hey Elan, the new plex server has broken every file stream. When clicking on any 720p file in iOS it jumps to 2 min remaining and shows a black screen. No files stream anymore. Is it possible to revert back to the previous version?

21. mike April 1st, 2013 5:18 am

The rate of progress being made across the board on all things PLEX is just amazing. I have iPads, Androids, Roku’s, Macs, UNRAID server, etc. etc. and am just blown away by how fast things are progressing. You guys absolutely rock!

22. Ruben April 1st, 2013 5:47 am

I tried the QNAP version but it doesn’t install..

23. Tyler April 1st, 2013 5:55 am

Hopefully this server update fixes this issue, but I cannot access my sever remotely when on wifi on my ios devices. I can access plex remotely over 3g/4g/lte, but not wifi (which renders my wifi-only ipad useless for my daughter). I can remote desktop into my machine over wifi or cellular, and the settings show that the server is properly published via myplex. Sounds like a somewhat specific bug with device ids or something, but I thought you should know since you guys clearly read these comments. Keep up the good work!

24. James Crow April 1st, 2013 7:36 am

Lates couple of release seem to be invalid for the ReadyNAS intel. Last release I’m on is 0.9.7.12.407-db37d6d but latest couple I’ve downloaded have said “Not valid for this architecture” on the ReadyNAS…

25. TTlequals0 April 1st, 2013 8:13 am

I appreciate all of your work keep it up.

This update seems to break seeking in a stream. For example the 30s skip jumps back a random amount instead of 30 seconds. Also if you manually try to go to a position for example 20 minutes in it only goes to the 2 minute mark. I have only been able to use the PlexPass app for android since im at work. im not sure id this effects other clients

26. TTlequals0 April 1st, 2013 8:21 am

Update From my previous post.

Plexweb works fine no issues with seeking in a video.

Two features i would love to see.

1. the ability to see who is watching what on your plex media server i want to see which of my friend use it the most and what is being transcoded.

2. the ability to select the stream quality on plex web interface kind of like youtube.

Again great work.

27. Comet April 1st, 2013 8:27 am

As always, great job Plex team.
    By the way. Will Plex on Android support sharing photos and videos stored on the device much like we can do with the latest iOS release?

28. elan April 1st, 2013 8:44 am

@Comet: we’ll look into it at some point, yeah.

29. Nathan April 1st, 2013 9:26 am

Rick Rolled! hahahaha

30. Martin April 1st, 2013 10:13 am

This version doesn’t work on my Intel based Readynas Ultra when playing video.
    After installing the previous version again (PlexMediaServer-0.9.7.17.469) video is working again.

31. MvL April 1st, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks Elan!

At the moment I’m rethinking my setup. Linux, Mac OS, Mac mini as server, Linux distribution as server, seperate storage, Buy a NAS, DIY NAS.., so many to consider, so many questions…, but I love Plex!

32. ananke April 1st, 2013 10:56 am

I wonder if it’s just a fluke, but so far two different movies I’ve tried to watch with this new release via roku ended ~20 minutes before the end – as if plex server was calculating the video length incorrectly.

I’ve fallen back to 0.9.7.17.471-0282320 [running on linux] and so far no issues. Will test it again in the next day and see how easily reproducible it is.

33. Ironlungz April 1st, 2013 12:46 pm

rickroll’d and the file initiating the rickroll will not be played again. Really funny april fools, or not if like to look at video files thru plex :(

34. DanL April 1st, 2013 2:05 pm

Ubuntu Repositories still on .17?

35. Court April 1st, 2013 4:32 pm

Updated the new PMS today. Now none of my iOS devices play any media. When I goto play the the screen is black but the counter is running with no audio/video… How do I downgrade? Am I alone in this or is this some sick April,fools joke?

36. einkoro April 1st, 2013 8:22 pm

After updating the windows media server to this version all my mkv/h264 videos would start playing from nearly the end with no audio or picture when on the iOS client – the desktop (mac) and web interface worked fine. Reverting back to 0.9.7.17 was the only thing that would fix this.

37. elan April 1st, 2013 11:05 pm

@einkoro: try the .21 version we released.

38. bendsch April 1st, 2013 11:47 pm

qpkg für nas is completely broken for me since .19. falling back to last working version .17.

39. radar April 2nd, 2013 2:09 am

Elan, got the link about naming of synced content?

40. danm April 2nd, 2013 5:45 am

When will this make it into the yum repo (which is currently at 0.9.7.17.471)?

41. einkoro April 2nd, 2013 8:03 am

@elan: Plex-Media-Server-0.9.721.505-b453cbb-en-US? I’m still seeing the same issue as 0.9.7.19 on the iPad.

42. Uniel April 2nd, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Elan,
    The .21 version seems to have resolved the issues I was having. Thank you.

43. Alex April 2nd, 2013 9:28 am

@einkoro I have the exact same problem, even with the new .21 update. Seems to affect MKVs mainly?

44. elan April 2nd, 2013 11:10 am

@Alex: we’re on it :)

45. Evaz April 5th, 2013 6:00 am

Anyone else having problems with media sharing? Before .17 my friend and I set up plex servers played through Roku 3 and 2xs devices. We were able to stream from each other (bluray rips) without problems at 12 MB/s speed quality.

Download speed 55Mb/s upload 25mb/s on my side
    Download speed 45MB/s upload 20mb/s on his side.

Since .17 update, we have had very very long load up times, and sometimes the movie would not even start. When it did start it would quickly cut out and buffer for eternity again. We tried reverting to older versions going all the way back to .11 but that doesn’t work anymore either. Is this an unknown server load issue on your side? just bringing it up!

Great job on the app though.

46. Evaz April 5th, 2013 6:02 am

I will also add, the plex app on our phones (android and iOS) works fine. It’s only the sharing through the computer app that a bit messed up now.

47. Matteo April 5th, 2013 10:05 pm

A lot of people buy the smart tv LG St600 for to play media by plex media server but it’s no possible to use the plex client (media link). Why? My software version is ST.9.79.901.
    Help me please.

48. Brent April 7th, 2013 1:24 pm

With this release all of our TV shows played using Roku 2 are ending around 50% early. The show just ends as if it was over.

49. elan April 7th, 2013 3:12 pm

@Brent: Fixed in 0.9.7.22

50. Mike P April 8th, 2013 11:46 am

v9.7.22 has prevented my WDTV Live from playing media (mkv files) over the network. I watched the entire season of Breaking Bad yesterday, but today, any file is just timing out since I updated this morning :( – I’m a huge fan of Plex and have it networked throughout my house on several TV’s so I hope it can be resolved…

51. LosLoco April 8th, 2013 7:42 pm

Mike P

Give it up. Absolutely no support to be had regarding WDTV and DLNA. People have been describing playback-issues with WDTV for a long time without getting any feedback whatsoever..

52. einkoro April 9th, 2013 9:34 am

@elan: Does 0.9.7.22 fix the issue with mkv playback on the iOS client?

53. DWG April 9th, 2013 2:53 pm

Love the updates, but will be jumping out of my skin when I get an update which inlcudes a search option on the Samsung TV version.

54. DWG April 9th, 2013 2:53 pm

55. Ramprasad April 10th, 2013 12:49 am

Hi Elan, there is an issue with youtube search, it never gives right result during search.

56. Ramprasad April 10th, 2013 12:51 am

Hi, is there any possibility to interface DVD player , bluray player with Plex server?

57. MrBond April 21st, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi Elan,

Any news on when fastforward/rewind will work again on the PS3. It stopped working a couple of versions back. Of the 4 speeds avaialble (x1.5, x10, x30 & x120) only x1.5 works, any faster and plex will nolonger play that file until it has been restarted.

Thanks once again for your work.

Thanks

58. elan April 22nd, 2013 10:57 am

@MrBond: I wasn’t aware of that issue, I’ll pass it along to our DLNA people :)

59. Good job April 24th, 2013 6:47 am
  60. Ed Adler May 4th, 2013 9:14 am

Hi Elan,

i have a question not deal with plex :-) What camera do you have? The photos are stunning! Do you do some finish with photoshop or is it out of camera?

61. elan May 4th, 2013 8:33 pm

@Ed: That’s very kind of you. On this post, the top photos were taken with an iPhone 5, the bottom one, and many others, are taken with a Canon 5DmkII. I use Aperture to process them.

62. confused May 8th, 2013 10:35 am

alot of my files no longer play when i updated to the latest version of pled?????? What gives?
    I can play them on my computer with VLC but not thru plex anymore.