Plex Media Server v0.9.7.17 - Plex Blog

Plex Media Server v0.9.7.17

, | 12 Mar 2013 | by 107 Comments

We have an awesome media server update for you today. One of the last in the 0.9.7 series, as we inch ever closer to that mythical one-dot-oh. (There’s some amazing stuff coming in the 0.9.8 series, already in active development!)

One of the most notable things about this release are all the changes in the new transcoder. This transcoder can burn image-based subtitles (PGS and VOBSUB), it’s much faster than the old one, resolves many issues the old one had (including quite a few issues with Roku, like the infamous AC3 issue), and we’re in the process of updating all the clients to use it.

The new transcoder is used by default with the new Plex for Android app, the latest version of Plex/Web, and by PlexSync, of course. The next release of iOS (out shortly) can be used with it, as will the next release of Plex for Roku, and we’ll be updating the DLNA server to use it as well.

Let’s get into the details; lots of stuff, as it’s been baking in PlexPass for a while. As you might expect, the majority of the changes are fixes, as we work to get 0.9.7 rock solid. You can pick up the update directly from the usual place, or wait for autoupdate to kick in shortly.

• NEW: Auto-select forced subtitles. I don’t speak alien either.
  • NEW: (API) More information passed back at root level to aid PlexSync clients.
  • NEW: (API) Final transcode resolution passed back for transcode session endpoint.
  • NEW: (API) Add a “transcoderVideo” flag at root if we support transcoding video.
  • NEW: (API) Allow callers to specify a background color when transcoding to JPEG.
  • NEW: (API) Add viewStateUpdatedAt for global OnDeck to allow sorting.
  • NEW: (API) export library section UUIDs for PlexSync.
  • NEW: (Android) Add FLAC as a direct play profile (syncing at less than “highest” will convert to MP3).
  • NEW: Added device notifications for sync (in progress, item complete). Mostly helps Kepler.
  • NEW: (PlexSync) Support for syncing show banners.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Massive speedups for the new transcoder in many scenarios (sync, streaming, seeking). It should be 2x to 3x faster (around 2x faster than the old transcoder), and will resolve many issues of stuttering and buffering some have seen.
  • FIX: A bug where timed library updates might only happen every other interval.
  • FIX: A major regression with subtitles causing transcoder to exit on certain OS X systems.
  • FIX: A case where we didn’t allow the host system to sleep.
  • FIX: Improvements to audio stream picking heuristics.
  • FIX: A hang when WebKit transcodes failed.
  • FIX: Some EAC3 streams showed up as “EC-3″.
  • FIX: Use media analysis duration instead of likely meaningless metadata duration when possible.
  • FIX: Improved elastic thread pool behavior, less pressure on thread creation/destruction.
  • FIX: Fixed an issue where background color wasn’t correct in the image transcoder (fixes section icons on Roku).
  • FIX: (OS X) Fix auto-update library failing under certain conditions.
  • FIX: (OS X) Show Plex/Web preferences by default, option-click shows old Cocoa prefs.
  • FIX: Improve Kepler transcoder profile, add Plex/Web profile.
  • FIX: (ReadyNAS) Update packaging, fix temp folder path.
  • FIX: (Ubuntu) Upstart fix.
  • FIX: (Fedora) Fixes in scripts.
  • FIX: (Roku) Improve profile, disable anamorphic video.
  • FIX: (Kepler) Limit AAC to two channel, so 5.1 gets mixed down when streaming on mobile devices.
  • FIX: (Kepler) Fix for anamorphic video displaying incorrectly.
  • FIX: (Windows) Don’t let PYTHONPATH interfere with our Python. Fixes some startup issues.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Upgrade to ffmpeg 1.1.2
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Allow specifying max bitrate.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) MPEG4 inside AVI files didn’t work.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Allow for faster seeking for clients that support it.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Don’t send back blank segments when transcoder dies.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Allow other users access to transcode session information.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Use higher bitrate when converting other codecs to AAC.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Improve quality when transcoding interlaced content.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Greatly improved AAC audio quality.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Remove MP3 from iOS HLS transcode target.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Improved support for remuxing with multichannel audio.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Support transcoding between multi-channel formats.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) We failed with some content due to scaling bug (Vimeo, TED).
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Send more logs up to the media server to help diagnosing issues.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Fix an issue when remuxed videos failed or acted weirdly.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Fix issue with last character being missing in SRT subs.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Fix SRT subs showing <font> tags.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Improve accuracy of bitrate in M3U8, helps Roku.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Improve bandwidth estimates for HLS.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Some indirect videos failed to play.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) We were generating MPEGTS streams which occasionally made the Roku crash.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Improve reliability of new transcoder when resuming.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Some VOBSUB subtitles inside MKV files weren’t burned.
  • FIX: (New transcoder) Some high bitrate stereo content failed to transcode.

I’ll let the tireless Plex mascot have the last word, as usual. Barkley’s been dragging me down to the beach twice a day for a lagoon swim, and if I’m not mistaken, his paws are growing more and more webbed.

IMG 3180

1. Matthew March 13th, 2013 5:23 am

Can we get any info on a windows phone 8 version with plex sync…holding out on that before getting a plexpass…understand that it takes time and windows phone is the lowest priority but wish you could share any info

2. Jos March 13th, 2013 5:38 am

Just installed it, couldn’t wait for the auto-update. Really nice to see how the releases get polished in plexpass. Keep it up and waiting for new android client which will even be beter!

3. T Turner March 13th, 2013 5:40 am

Thanks for the update, sounds like a massive improvement.

4. EtherMan March 13th, 2013 5:41 am

And sadly no fix for the broken music metadata agent API…

5. RckStr March 13th, 2013 5:44 am

PGS subs! Awesome!

6. Christopher Demicoli March 13th, 2013 6:26 am

Please put Windows Phone 8 at a higher priority :(

7. nigelb March 13th, 2013 6:37 am

BB10 app please…..the next android vm will support Jelly Bean….

8. Bellboy March 13th, 2013 6:38 am

Mmmmm….ffmpeg update…uughgggaaaaaa…

9. mudhog March 13th, 2013 6:55 am

When is Plex Media Center going to be updated to Plex Home Theater? We have had several Plex Media Server revisions since this was announced as being tested by PlexPass? Is Plex Home Theater going to be a PlexPass only feature?

10. BeeksElectric March 13th, 2013 6:57 am

Been using the PlexPass builds for the past few weeks, non-PPers are in for a treat – this build is AWESOME! My old C2D PC couldn’t handle transcoding my 1080p MKVs to 720p for my Roku under the old transcoded, but using the new transcoder (which is available in the PlexTest beta Roku channel) my system was able to transcode them in real time without breaking a sweat. It’s been awesome having the devs work hand in hand with the users on the PlexPass builds, and I can’t wait to see what 9.8 and beyond bring!

11. Aaron March 13th, 2013 6:57 am

I <3 Barkley.

12. Michiel March 13th, 2013 7:18 am

@mudhog: as soon as it’s good enough to be public it will come out of plexpass only ;)

13. Ed99 March 13th, 2013 7:33 am

As a result of the new transcoder, will the recommended spec for a PMS capable of transcoding hd content come down significantly? Most of my clients don’t need transcoding, but the ipad and nexus occasionally do if something has subs to burn. At the moment my 24×7 server I use as a nas isn’t quite up to transcoding (fine for a remux of course), so I keep a separate server for the odd transcode duty. It would be great to be able to ditch this less energy friendly box :-)

14. David cole March 13th, 2013 7:36 am

I’m wondering if there could be an option to turn off thumbnail generation/media file analysis on the media scanner – maybe configurable by section.

Would solve an issue I have. Seems to cause I intermittent and inconsistent app crashes of the media scanner on windows. I’ve mentioned it on the round a couple of times, but the error is never consistent. Ie never the same media file.

15. LexLuthor March 13th, 2013 8:09 am

Any idea when we’ll see the benefits of the new transcoder when streaming directly to a DLNA TV?

16. Chad March 13th, 2013 8:10 am

Looks great and glad there seems to be some developments on the music front as this is all I mainly use Plex for. I’ve asked this a couple times on the forums with no response, but I’ll put here a request that Plex Media Server can handle single track FLACs or APEs with a CUE sheet. As of now, it can play them, but they just show up as a single track. Thanks!!!

17. Pusta March 13th, 2013 8:19 am

Question: What’s the plan for the Kindle Fire HD in the Android version? Will it make it’s way to the Amazon app store?

18. elan March 13th, 2013 9:39 am

@EtherMan ~ Agent updates are pushed separately, and I’m not actually sure what you’re referring to, got a forum link handy?

19. elan March 13th, 2013 9:40 am

@mudhog: Shouldn’t be too long, we’re just trying to stabilize it properly :)

20. elan March 13th, 2013 9:43 am

@David cole ~ that option doesn’t exist because the media analysis is required for core functionality. That being said, if it’s crashing, we’d love to get a crash dump.

21. elan March 13th, 2013 9:43 am

@LexLuthor ~ That’s a very smart question, and the answer is “hopefully soon” :)

22. velourpappa March 13th, 2013 10:59 am

I don’t want “amazing stuff”. I want exciting stuff to work. Ex: Make Plex download subtitles properly (look at XBMC) and stop the server from crashing.

23. elan March 13th, 2013 11:49 am

@velourpappa ~ have you submitted crash reports? we’d love to stop from crashing.

24. mkopel March 13th, 2013 12:09 pm

are the forums down? I can’t seem to access them.

25. Chad March 13th, 2013 12:20 pm

Did you notice my comment, Elan? Think it would be possible to implement support for CUE sheets with single track FLACs or APEs? Thanks.

26. Shirahama D. Ginko March 13th, 2013 12:29 pm

Does the upcoming update to the DLNA server, which will use the new transcoder, now burn subtitles inside MKV files? For example when played on the Xbox. If not can the Roku do this?

27. Freek March 13th, 2013 12:53 pm

Autoupdate says I’m up to date, but I am not. Nevertheless, thanks for this!

28. Kyle Thomas March 13th, 2013 1:35 pm

I love you guys. That is all.

29. Mike March 13th, 2013 3:13 pm

For some reason I can’t update: my current server (snow leopard: 0.9.7.12.407) responds to ‘check for updates’ with “0.9.7.12 is currently the newest version available”. And when I download the 0.9.7.17 dmg directly:

I can’t open it (it’s not recognized as a dmg by mountain lion or snow leopard). What am I doing wrong?!

30. elan March 13th, 2013 3:14 pm

@mkopel: Up for me.

@Chad: no current plans to support CUE sheets, it’s a bit of a an esoteric format (in my humble opinion, at least) :) That being said, it might be possible to handle them like we do multi-part episode files (e.g. S01E24-E25). If so, you could work on coding the support yourself given the scanners are open. (Clients would still need to support, of course.)

31. James Kroll March 13th, 2013 5:16 pm

Please port Windows 8 app to WP8

32. claw March 13th, 2013 8:03 pm

Has the issue of incorrect subtitles been resolved… PMS often auto-downloads wrong SUBS for TV episodes, and there is NO WAY to DELETE THEM

33. duran_dal March 13th, 2013 11:22 pm

Great release! I love that you have added PGS and VOBSUB!

I have thousands of episodes that I have ripped from my own DVD directly to MKV with loss-less conversion. All those episodes have the original DVD subtitle tracks. It works perfectly in the “Web client” and in the Home Theatre, but it doesn’t seem to work in the iOS App. I just get garbled squares and characters. Is it supposed to work on iOS and am I doing something wrong?

34. Geo March 14th, 2013 2:33 am

Thanks, Great Job!!! The response of my server is noticeably quicker.

35. MK March 14th, 2013 2:43 am

Any chance of seeing this update on Synology NASs’? Sorry to keep asking about this, but the previous version is starting to get a bit old.

Thanks for the great work again!

36. GoEleven March 14th, 2013 2:56 am

Awesome news! Just installed Plex a week ago, and there’s an update already, bringing even more goodness.

A feature request though – please, bring “playing music on a different device” function to Plex/Web. It’s already there for videos, and it’s much more useful for music IMO.
    Also, could someone tell me if I’d be able to do that with an Android device? I don’t have one at hand currently.

Another awesome thing would be to be able to send videos and, more importantly, music to non-plex DLNA devices via DMC/DMR protocol Airplay-style. That would be properly amazing.

On a sidenote, to those wanting CUE support – I just converted my 350GB library to split tracks format with CUETools, and it’s easily done in batch mode. All the gaps are preserved too, nothing is lost. BTW, ffmpeg has bugs supporting APE+CUE and WV+CUE, and XBMC has them too, consequently. So no point implementing them in Plex – I believe, it uses ffmpeg.

37. t3steve March 14th, 2013 4:44 am

Does this release AirPlay? I am using a Mac Mini as my server/client and want to use full AirPlay like an Apple TV.

38. Chad March 14th, 2013 5:52 am

@Elan: It can’t be that esoteric because I’ve seen quite a few people requesting that functionality on the forums! :D

I’d be happy to code it myself, if I had any idea of where to start with something like that!

39. ananke March 14th, 2013 5:55 am

Any ETA on the RPMs?

40. Mike March 14th, 2013 10:06 am

Hey, like the update. I am still having issues streaming Blu-Ray quality MKV files over my network. I also noticed on my quad-core system that the transcoder tops out at 25% CPU usage. Is the new transcoder multi-core enabled?

41. crazyk March 14th, 2013 10:41 am

Is the new update going to be pushed out to your Ubuntu repository any time soon?

42. olavjunior March 14th, 2013 12:21 pm

Is the ubuntu deb-file corrupt?
    I cant install it, says its bad. Could install 0.9.7.16 though

43. elan March 14th, 2013 2:07 pm

@duran_dal: You’ll need to wait for the next iOS release for it to support the new transcoder.

44. Ryan March 14th, 2013 6:30 pm

You guys are absolutely amazing. There is no other program that I appreciate as much as Plex. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. Because of your dedication, I just became a Plex lifer….woohoo

45. majortom March 15th, 2013 1:56 am

Elan,
    Please be aware that using this update the Plex/Web on OSX is ‘remuxing’ full quality blue ray rips rather than transcoding down to a lower bitrate. The result being choppy / tearing video with green flashes.
    Doesn’t matter which 1080p ‘player’ setting is chosen remux still occurs. Only way to force a transcode is to choose a 720p ‘player’ setting.
    Seems that the bit rate choice is being ignored.

46. Marcel van Leeuwen March 15th, 2013 5:27 am

Awesome guys!

Really pleased to see that support is coming for vobsub and pgs. Also great you guys update the iOS version! Can’t wait. :)

47. Chris March 15th, 2013 5:50 am

Hi
    I have just updated the app and server but I can do publish my server any more. Been fine for the last 2 weeks after purchasing plex plus. Any advise please.

48. zeagus March 15th, 2013 6:29 am

Great work, team! It’s been great to watch things fixed in the PlexPass forums/preview releases as time goes on. Despite some b!tching upthread about people’s pet features, this is a fantastic product and a responsive dev team that’s making the app of my dreams. Thanks again, TeamPLEX!

49. elan March 15th, 2013 9:32 am

@Chris ~ best bet is to reboot the router. There’s been no changes in that area for a while, so it’s highly unlikely that an update would have broken it. Just worked with someone in Plex Chat yesterday with exact same symptoms, reboot his router fixed things.

50. elan March 15th, 2013 9:32 am

@majortom ~ thanks, we’ll look into it!

51. Max March 15th, 2013 12:00 pm

Something is wrong with this version. Via the web client, 720p HDTV shows look really bad. Where with the prior release it was perfect.

52. ignacio March 16th, 2013 8:48 am

is no complatible withe wiondows 8 ?

53. Ed March 16th, 2013 9:39 am

I just installed the latest Plex Media Server v0.9.7.17 for Mac.
    I also use a Roku N1101 HD-XR which no longer has any sound from videos using this update.
    I have had no issues with previous version 0.9.7.12 and had to re-install in order to watch and listen to movies.
    Any one else have this problem?

54. Arthur March 16th, 2013 3:37 pm

After installing the update, no videos play at all through the Xbox. I would prefer playing to my Vizio TV but the audio and video codecs are not supported.

Any know issues or fixes? I have checked and rechecked all my settings included not using direct play by default. Was working great before the upgrade…

I really want to like and register this product.

55. Alex S March 17th, 2013 4:13 am

Hi. Since I updated, thumbnails of the movies take a lot of time to show up in my LG Smart TV. Before this update, thumbnails showed up right away when launching the app in the TV. Please have a look at this issue. Thanks, Alex.

56. Adam March 17th, 2013 7:56 am

I’m also highly anticipating a Windows Phone 8 update that supports FLAC audio transcoding.

57. Ben March 17th, 2013 9:47 am

Still no fix, that allow the redownloading of cover art!

How many years do people need to complain about the problem of “grayed” out thumbnails. Alternative images are good, if you have multiple one’s ( what you do not always have ).

All people want is the ability when metadata is refreshed, that you can also “refresh” any cover/artwork from sources like theTvDb… That solving the problem of damaged ( [partially] grayed out ) artwork. Why is it that XBMC has no problem dealing with this, but Plex Server refuses to allow people to fix this problem. Forcing them to use large workaround. Those grayed out pics, drive my OCD nuts ;)

Read the forum a bit developers, plenty of different topics about this going back 3+ years!

58. Loubat March 17th, 2013 11:40 pm

Hello,

I would like to know if (actually or in near future) is it possible to do that ?? :
    I use Plexpass to sync some TV Shows with My Phone (iPhone).
    But I would like that : PMS wait the Subtitle to start the transcode and sync with my mobile.

Because Actually, PMS transcode immediatelly the TV Show without Subtitle.

Thanks.

Franck.

59. Evaz March 18th, 2013 9:48 am

Updated to this latest version and the app is now on death’s door.
    Using windows 8.

Everything worked spot on with .12, but the update to .17 brought back that problem with maxing out the cpu. Cpu runs at 100% regardless of the resolution requested or the type of media run.

Before this update, it would spike for a short time then level off once the movie was running. I tried everything, thinking that it was my network, but once i downgraded the version, it is back to working great.

Just a FYI to devs

60. elan March 18th, 2013 12:57 pm

@Loubat ~ it’s not possible yet, but may be in the future.

61. elan March 18th, 2013 1:00 pm

@Ben: There are a few ways to do what you want, depending on what went wrong.

1) If the scanner aborted before matching everything, just do a Force Refresh on the section, which will match and download metadata.
    2) (rarer case) if somehow the posters got corrupted: a) delete the section b) clean bundles via the admin task c) re-add the section. View state will (magically) preserved.

62. Ron Gillespie March 18th, 2013 1:35 pm

Auto-upgraded to PMS 0.9.7.17 running on my Windows 7 32 bit machine. Buffers very bad on my Roku now. Uninstalled and re-installed. Same if not worse buffering. Uninstalled and went back to 0.9.7.12 All is well now.

63. just lil ole me March 18th, 2013 5:16 pm

I can’t run the downloaded update file. 0.9.717.469-1f0b170-en-us. This file keeps locking up the downloads folder and windows explorer. No matter what I try it just won’t run. Is there a solution?

64. Ben March 19th, 2013 5:01 pm

@elan March:

1) Forced refresh does not solve the problem of damaged images, as all it does is: Finished getting the meta data & pictures, of unresolved items.

2) Fairly crazy idea… A second like TV / Anime shows, can have 50,100,200 items. Deleting it result that one need to redownload everything. The end result is: You just get new grayed out images on other items that get damaged.

I will give you a idea: Got 320 items in Anime section, of those on the first run, had over 20 post covers damaged. And it took hours to download all the cover art on this slow line. Deleted the section, tried again. Again covers damaged ( some the same, some different ). But, that is what you see visually. Go into the Season, and look at each seasons cover, you find a lot more.

No offense Elan, but this feature to be able to REALLY refresh a item ( and not just the metadata ), has been requested for a lot of years. I found topics going back at minimum 3+ years, in different sections of the Forum ( Windows / Mac / … ). In the past there was a reference that it “might be” possible with “CTRL+Refesh” or a combination like that ( with the old interface ).

Best example of that is: Unmatch a title, then try to match it again. It will still use the original artwork on the disk, compared trying to redownload this information.

For me, it has always been rather strange, that one can refresh the meta data, but not the artwork. It seems the moment that the artwork has been saved, it can never be removed beyond a total “removal” of the section.

In all honesty, a ability to redownload cover / season / whatever artwork is not needed, if Plex actually was able to correctly download the images in the first time. I manually checked artwork on the theTvDB, to check if that artwork was at fault, of Plex fetching the artwork. The artwork on theTvDb was … perfect. But somehow it seems that plex downloads artwork without doing some CRC checking ( maybe to speed up downloads? ), so any instability on a bad connection results in damage.

Most people will not see a lot of bad artwork because they have good fast connections, but anybody with some crappy connection,… I even gave up on the Movies, because it resulted in 50% bad / grayed out images.

But when i say that XBMC does it better, i mean it. The exact same information, from the same sources, using the exact same line … and no damaged images are displayed. So i “assume” that there is a difference in the transportation protocol, or the scaling routing ( if maybe some damage in the downloaded images makes it impossible to correctly convert the image ). Maybe XMBC has the same error in the image, but you do not see it as its a small problem, where as in Plex, you get a 90,50,40,20% grayed out picture.

I hope this information helps.

65. Jeff March 19th, 2013 6:28 pm

I had to revert to the previous version. suddenly with this update plex is transcoding the audio on all my MP4 files with 5.1 Channel AAC down to 2 channel mp3 when I stream from my PS3. I noticed it didn’t sound as good, checked the display on my HT Reciever, sure enough “DPL II” and the info on the ps3 said “2.0 channel MP3″ I just finished re-ripping all my files to 5.1 AAC since I’d previously set up everything for my xbox which didn’t support 5.1 in an MP4 container. Real bummer. How can I fix this?

66. Justin March 20th, 2013 12:29 pm

Huge thanks to Elan and all Plex developers!!! My Synology DS412+ NAS is now transcoding twice as fast as before. Now 720P media transcodes with no issues at all. Great job squeezing all the performance as you can out of that dual core Atom! Maybe now I can transcode more than one 480P stream to multiple clients!

Amazing job… I hope that my lifetime PlexPass bought you some good beer, you deserve it!

67. sytse March 20th, 2013 7:54 pm

since the last update (.17)my LG smart tv does not play any mkv files, this is a major bummer. Can anybody tell me how to get an older version back so I can play them again…or is a better update around the corner? ;-(

68. elan March 20th, 2013 8:06 pm

@Ben ~ Honestly, I’m not aware that corrupted image downloads is a major issue. And I’d rather fix that issue then come up with some whacky admin workaround for resetting the bundle. If you’d care to email me, I’d love to figure out why so many of your images are getting corrupted and fix the root issue.

69. nelson March 21st, 2013 12:55 pm

hi, im new here .so i just installed my plex media server and when i try to open it says ..

plex media server has stopped working
    —-check on line for solution
    —-close program.

please help!!!!

70. James March 22nd, 2013 12:25 am

Hi
    I have been using plex for a long time I love it.
    I understand the transcoder has been replaced in this version of the server.
    I have not had any problems streaming files on computers or iOS devices, but Plex Sync has gone haywire. Queuing things to sync results in 20% of them being synced and the others reporting a transcoder error. I thought maybe it was just the device I was syncing to, but it happens even when using the PMS web interface. Also when the PMS is syncing things like TV Shows only the name of an episode is shown on the web interface when transcoding, can I suggest that you have the Season # and Episode # listed instead or as well.

71. cos March 22nd, 2013 7:34 am

Everything worked great till I updated to ‘version 0.9.7.17′ and now Plex in no longer working on my LG TV. DLNA works fine and I get the green light on:

‘ Server is mapped to port 32400′

And even if I disable the firewall still get the message; ‘no Media Server found’ on the Plex app page of my TV!!

Great that you’ve made all the improvements but what use are they if you make the whole thing totally useless?

72. Karl March 22nd, 2013 9:07 am

I have 50 movies on a hard drive, and most of them play flawlessly on Plex through my Roku box. The problem is that a few of the titles dont match the movies. I have tried deleting and re-adding them to the HD, but still messed up. COUNTLESS “Refresh Library” tries later, I am still confounded as to how this can happen. Here’s an example: on the computer, the Library of my movies shows 2 icons for the movie “Cars”, which is not even on the HD. If I click to play them on the computer, one is “Die Hard with A Vengeance” and the other is “The Avengers”, NEITHER of which show up on the Roku box. What to do? There’s no way to re-name them in the Plex web page.

73. Greg March 22nd, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks for updating the Synology package. It seems to have fixed several problems that were frustrating me!

74. MK March 23rd, 2013 5:35 am

Justin,

How did you manage to get the PMS for your Synology DS412+?

75. James March 23rd, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi

Just wanted to let you know that I think I have solved the transcoder problem which seems to have not been a transcoder problem at all but a database problem. Updating PMS seems to have amplified a problem that I may have had but was not aware of I had moved a whole lot of media from one location and had placed in another location and assumed that by deleting the location and adding the location would do the job. Even now though it took 3 attempts to save this on the PMS web interface for it to actually take effect. Weird but all seems to be working now. DLNA to panasonic tis pretty shit though on most file types I have anyway.

76. elan March 23rd, 2013 5:33 pm

@MK: It’s on the http://www.plexapp.com/getplex page.

@Steven Davis: that means “synced content in here”.

77. tony March 23rd, 2013 7:47 pm

Plex media server version 9.7.17.469
    and Plex iOs version 3.1

mkv files with srt subtitles

subtitles are not showing. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

78. MK March 24th, 2013 12:08 am

@elan: Doh, I’m an idiot. Thanks!

79. Philippe March 24th, 2013 9:40 am

I Found a bug in thé TV series. Time to Time, the number of files per season is wrong. I don’t know if this happen with the last release or with à previous one.

80. Patrick Stedem March 24th, 2013 4:09 pm

I have a different, but likely related issue to Jeff Marsh. I just started using Plex to stream to my PS3 after using PS3 Media Server, and I too am having my 5.1 audio transcoded into 2 channel MP3. The difference is my audio is AC3 rather than AAC and my container is MKV rather than MP4.

I posted about it in the forums here: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/63933-pms-09717-transcoding-51-channel-aac-to-2-channel-mp3-on-ps3/?p=373801

81. elan March 24th, 2013 7:16 pm

@Patrick Stedem: This is a known issue; we ran into some issues playing 5.1 content so we changed the profile to down-mix to stereo for now. We’re going to be working on some improvements to the DLNA code, we’ll look into the issue at that time!

82. dallen31 March 25th, 2013 4:12 am

mpeg4 in avi are all being cut short. Was watching The Big Lebowski, 1 hour in…fail. The happens for all my movies of this format, and they worked pre-update. Bummer.

MEDIA
    Duration 1:57:27
    Bitrate 1763 kbps
    Width 720
    Height 384
    Aspect Ratio 1.85
    Video Resolution 480p
    Container AVI
    Video Frame Rate 24p
    FILE
    Accessible Yes
    Exists Yes
    Duration 1:01:46
    File /media_shares/Videos/Movies/Coen Brothers Filmography/The Big Lebowski [1998]/The Big Lebowski [1998] [Cd1].avi
    Size 702.34 MB
    Container AVI
    VIDEO
    Codec MPEG4
    Bitrate 1132 kbps
    Bvop 1
    Duration 1:01:46
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Gmc 0
    Height 384
    Qpel 0
    Width 720

83. brendan March 26th, 2013 10:01 pm

This latest update has happened automagically and now all the media sections are gone. As luck would have it I’m away for work and have had to try and get the wife up and running again via phone support. One section was created using same name as the one which was there before, and each show is now showing as unwatched. Is this normal (hope not), and is this recoverable (hope so)? Unfortunately Plex has done such a fantastic job to date, I now no longer bothering remembering what episode i am up to, and I REALLY dont want to lose all the stuff i have sync’d to the iPad and have to go through it all again!

84. Gary March 27th, 2013 2:41 am

I’m just hoping .9.8 has some playlist functionality. I’m looking for playlist functionality on ios synced content specifically, but I could live with any playlist functionality for a while.

85. brendan March 27th, 2013 11:19 pm

elan kindly ignore my previous post. there was nothing auto and/or magical about it, and there isnt any issue either. i unreservedly apologise for any distress i may have caused.

86. horsts March 29th, 2013 2:48 am

Any news on running plex as a service in Windows Server 2012 Essential, WHS WHS 2011, WHSv1?
    At least WinServer2012 Essentials would be appreciated very much, as it’s the latest & future proof win server platform.

87. Mark March 29th, 2013 11:15 pm

Thank Heavens for the upgrades to the Windows 8 Transcoder! I was about to uninstall, but the improvements have made movies watchable on the Windows 8 platform. Now about that subscription….

88. Steve March 30th, 2013 2:06 am

I don’t know but i can’t open the plex media server…can anyone help me plz??? (i have download and install plex in windows 7)

89. Thierry March 31st, 2013 2:21 am

Good Job, keep it up guys!! Much Appreciated!!

90. Andrew April 1st, 2013 1:42 pm

I was using Plex just fine for 6 months or so, and only have it to watch some spike TV shows on my Roku… now with the latest 2 updates, I can’t watch a full episode of anything on Plex – it gets to the first commercial set (bar rescue for example), and then bugs out and exits…. kinda defeats the purpose this way. I can watch about 10 minutes of the episodes, and once that first break comes along, bam, its done.

91. Beau April 2nd, 2013 1:24 am

I was amazed at how plex worked so easily on my main PC,HTPC and all my iOS devices. After the last 2 updates, abouthalf my files now work.
    Please go back to the way it was or give me the option to.
    What happened to my “it just works” plex?
    Thanks.

92. Slayer April 5th, 2013 7:01 pm

I have random movies now that are cut short. My kids were watching cars and where it said it had run the full time it actually cut about 20 min off the movie. Have other movies doing the same. 9.7.19

93. lee April 6th, 2013 10:40 am

Version 0.9.7.12
    DSM 4.2
    DS412+
    PLEX server software – nothing else running.

FIX: A case where we didn’t allow the host system to sleep. (a bit abstract – non?)

This doesn’t appear to be the case for my synology. It does hibernate…then it doesn’t…then it does? figured that because a new package was available via the DSM, things had been resolved…

Love the software,love the community spirit on here, and will be more than happy to pay for a license – when things are a little more robust.

Please fix this pesky bloody hibernation bug.

94. elan April 6th, 2013 4:34 pm

@slayer – that’s fixed in a media server update.

95. Greg April 7th, 2013 5:40 pm

Trying to update my media server to fix some issues with the newest roku app update and can’t find the server for the download. Is something up or is it just me?

96. just lil ole me April 13th, 2013 11:20 am

Since my last post, I have been unable to run any of the updates. 0.90722.511-4b5280f-en-us won’t run. It locks up downloads folder and causes windows explorer to stop functioning. This is the same problem I had with 90117. I’m running windows vista. Is that the problem? I think I tried this on my windows 7 comp too but same problem. I’m sure I’ve probably tried everything since March to get these updates to run. Are they just for paid subscribers?

I really love Plex but if I can’t do updates, I won’t be buying a subscription. I want to but I will have to wait until I figure this out.

97. Pete April 13th, 2013 4:20 pm

The latest update is not really working at all for me. It shows thumbnails, info, and everything just fine, but no videos will actually transcode and work. I get a transcoder error on PC, phone, and tablet. Nthing connects and works right with the server any more. HELP???

98. Andy April 24th, 2013 7:14 am

I am on v0.9.7.17 but on resume from sleep i get media server not found.

I have tried killing plex process and also DNLA but nothing changes.

Only way to get service back is to restart my laptop, is this a known issue and if so is there a workaround without restarting? Having to reopen 20 tabs with cached content is a PITA

Andy

99. Martin May 14th, 2013 12:11 pm

first of all I want to thank you for the amazing plex functionality as well as your continuous improvements.

A DLNA server feature that I really like to see in future releases is to support DMC (digital media control) to push media content to a non-plex DMR (digital media device)!
    Given that functionality it is possible to use a tablet as plex-client to browse a media library from a plex server, and then push selected music/videos to a media player that operates as DMR and plays the selection (even though the media player is not capable to run plex software as plex client itself).

The benefit is to have the very convenient user interface of plex and the superior audio qualitiy of a certain media player at the same time. That would be absolutely great!
    Martin

100. Craig P May 22nd, 2013 9:27 am

Hi all,

I have been using Plex Server on Ubuntu 12.04 and until about 4 days ago it worked flawlessly, but all of a sudden it has now stopped being seen by all of the xbox’s in the house, just giving a ‘No Movies Found’ message on the screen.

Nothing has changed on the system setup, all networking is hardwired and its gone from a perfect home media system to one thats completely unusable, has anyone else had this problem.

I’ve rebooted the server, rebooted router, rebooted xbox’s, tried complete uninstall of plex and re-install and still no joy whatsoever, it will play movies through all other devices, laptops, PC’s and iPhones, but none of the xbox’s see the content anymore. Either something in Plex has been updated and fails, or something on the Xbox OS has changed, any help much appreciated, really don’t want to have to go back to using the old mac based version on my imac when I have a dedicated HP 1u server for my media at great cost….
    :-(

101. elan May 22nd, 2013 10:09 am

@Craig: Have you tried rebooting routers/switches? That’s the most likely explanation (sadly).

102. elan May 22nd, 2013 10:09 am

@Craig: The DLNA server code doesn’t automatically update, so most likely difference is something “networkalogical”.

103. Craig P May 22nd, 2013 10:26 am

Problem is nothing on the network has changed at all, my job is running web servers so I’m fairly ok with networking as a rule, and hand on heart absolutely nothing on the system has changed so I’m completely at a loss where to go from here, it’s typical that the only devices I need to be able to actually play the content are the xbox’s which feed TV’s in bedrooms and our lounge, so we are stuck with having to watch movies on the laptop, which I could do anyway without plex, as the server uses samba to share the movie drive as well, so I can just play the movies from the server across the gigabit network using quicktime.

Its so annoying because it was working brilliantly for months since I discovered Plex
    :-(

104. Craig P May 22nd, 2013 11:43 am

No idea why it stopped working however I did manage to find a posting which gave the following commands, which completely removed plex where apt-get remove didn’t, after doing the following and then re-installing it works again, still no idea why it stopped though:

sudo apt-get purge plexmediaserver

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/plexmediaserver

sudo userdel plex

sudo rm /etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf
    sudo rm /etc/default/plexmediaserver

(last two commands actually didn’t work for me as neither file or directory existed)

105. Henrik D June 22nd, 2013 3:17 am

+1 for cue sheet support for single audio files.

106. Tim Spanoudakis June 25th, 2013 9:15 am

Running plex on samsung smart tv was working perfectly before the upgrade and now it does not play any video . Is there any way to downgrade?

107. Victor K December 8th, 2013 3:56 am

+1 for cue sheet support for single audio files.
    I’m not sure how does cue support for single audio files depends on ffmpeg, and why Plex server should use just it. From my point of view it is a question of determining what track is being played in a client. (I would like in Web and Android clients). BTW, DeadBeeF player manages with FLAC and cue sheet pretty well http://unclev.ru/img/deadbeef-the-beatles-flac-cue.png Thanks.