Mele Kalikimaka! - Plex Blog

Mele Kalikimaka!

It is the season for giving, and I just want to start by saying how much we appreciate all those who have become PlexPass members. Thank you so much. You literally keep the lights on, and keep us and our families (and dogs) fed. We’re excited and energized to head into 2013 with some huge plans (Could this btobiae the year we bring Trailers back? Bet on it!)

Before the year ends, though, we have a little present for you PlexPassians. A token of our appreciation, if you will. We’ve been working hard to bring it to you, because you’ve been asking for it for quite some time…

That’s right, we have a massive update for our desktop Plex app! It used to be Plex Media Center, but because of the sheer number of people who confused it for Plex Media Server (no, really), we’re rebranding it Plex Home Theater.

So what’s new? Well, we’ve re-synced to upstream XBMC code, to their “frodo” pre-release. But more than that, we’ve completely redone our integration so as to make future updates much, much easier. Our internal codename for the project was Fordo (because, let’s face it, a giant mountain with an impenetrable fortress inside sounds slightly more bad-ass than a little guy with hairy feet).

This brings us up to date with all the latest, which should finally resolve a number of long-standing issues, including A/V sync on SD files, high CPU usage when idle, and adds lots of cool stuff including:

• HD audio support, via the new AudioEngine code, on operating systems which support it.
  • 10bit H.264 video
  • Airplay support
  • Much improved rendering efficiency (“dirty regions”)
  • Many bug fixes to home screen, server detection

In typical Plex fashion, we’ve also disabled/removed a bunch of stuff too, in order to make it as lean and fast as possible. It’s not a toaster, microwave, or PVR. Our only interest is making it work as well as humanly possible with our media server.

Fordo

I also want to point out in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS, that this is a PlexPass preview. It’s definitely pre-release quality. Frodo (the upstream code) hasn’t shipped yet. It’ll crash, and hang, and possibly even overwater your house plants. We’ll be updating it frequently, and when it’s ready to come out of the oven, we’ll release it for everyone.

So, a few important links: You can download the OS X and Windows releases here (yes, you need a PlexPass for this). You can help us figure out what needs fixing in the new release in this new forum (please read the “known issues” sticky). You can build from source yourself and pitch in (it’s so easy now!). (One nice little easter egg: the context menu now works on the home screen to mark an item as watched.)

Most importantly, though – please have yourself a meaningful and happy holiday season. Spend some time with people you love. Pet your children. Hug your dogs and cats. Time with family and friends is more important than presents or material items.

Namaste, and we’ll see you next year!

This release is brought to you by Gordon, our favorite Swedish Plex dog. Gordon’s dad Tobias led the Plex strike force who is behind this new release. Gordon is stoic (obviously), loves the snow, and enjoying curling up in front of a good movie. Barkley’s brother from another, roughly.

DSC 0040

1. Scott December 23rd, 2012 7:05 pm

2. zack December 23rd, 2012 7:06 pm

sounds awesome! any word on random playback? been kinda funky for a while (really really hoping this release doesnt break what little random playback there is…). would love to be able to manage tv shows like musical playlists!

3. Charles Farence December 23rd, 2012 7:09 pm

When I click the download link it asks for a password. I have plexpass, I just don’t know how to login.

4. elan December 23rd, 2012 7:12 pm
  5. shinratdr December 23rd, 2012 7:12 pm

It’s not letting me login with my PlexPass/Plex Forums login info, I want the new client so badly! What are the credentials I’m supposed to enter?

6. Charles Farence December 23rd, 2012 7:13 pm

Sorry I found it. Had to make sure I was logged into the
    forums.

7. elan December 23rd, 2012 7:14 pm

@shinratdr: sorry, blog post updated with fixed link, stick forum post has creds :)

8. chad December 23rd, 2012 7:14 pm
  9. Issac Gerges December 23rd, 2012 7:20 pm

Looks great guys… gotta ask though, any news on PlexSync
    for Android? Was hoping to get it in time for my holiday travels
    but it doesnt look like it will make it

10. Yossarian December 23rd, 2012 7:23 pm

just when I was thinking about moving to xbmc. Thank
    you

11. ShaGe December 23rd, 2012 7:36 pm

A fantastic early gift! Thanks very much, Plex Team and happy holidays.

12. tehconz December 23rd, 2012 7:40 pm

Yes! It just keeps getting better. Thanks guys!

13. Rodalpho December 23rd, 2012 7:56 pm

I really think you’re going about this all wrong. By restricting beta access to paying customers, you’re severely constraining the number of beta testers for your software, which will ultimately result in lower quality releases.

IMO a much better approach would be to allow anyone to freely test and report bugs. Once you feel premium features are ready for release, THEN you restrict it to paying customers.

Note that allowing free users to test these premium features may end up converting them to paid customers in the end, too.

I really think that approach makes more sense.

14. Rich December 23rd, 2012 8:10 pm

Is it just me or are the interfaces of the modern LG and Samsung smart TVs looking newer and fresher than the Mac client for Plex. Don’t get me wrong, I love plex, but the UI seems a bit dated.

On a separate note, how about movie trailers for movies as part of the metadata?

Regardless, thanks for your effort :)

15. mfrelink December 23rd, 2012 8:36 pm

I’m really really excited about this, however I can’t access the forums even though I’m a plexpass subscriber. Already mailed support twice, left a forum message, but no response. Please let me in on all the plexpass fun :D

16. elstreif December 23rd, 2012 9:13 pm
  17. Pat December 23rd, 2012 9:27 pm

It’s awesome but why did you rip the CEC support out of Frodo – Fordo clearly wants a remote control!!!!

I know Barkley wants this too – he can’t handle the Apple Remote!

18. Boron78 December 23rd, 2012 10:18 pm

This is a great christmas gift!
    What I really want to see is the ability to select a primary Plex server. Like I can on the Samsung client.
    For now I just blocked incoming access for Plex, but this prevents me from having the awesome new Airplay support…

I really hope there will be an option to deactivate or control the autodiscovery of Plex Media Servers.

19. StevenBoel December 23rd, 2012 11:07 pm

Wow! Lots of presents lately :)
    If you’d keep just only the PVR client possibilities in I would so much ditch XBMC on the desktop for Plex

20. Sander December 23rd, 2012 11:22 pm

Sorry but I can’t open the download location as a plex pass user…
    Happy holiday!

21. Nic December 24th, 2012 12:21 am

So if sync to xbmc does this mean the client will finally play cd/dvd’s? seeing it was to be a feature of the last release and the forum posts keep saying “don’t worry it will be fixed and high on our list”?

22. Fraser December 24th, 2012 12:39 am

Hi Elan,

Thanks for the new Plex Client, however I’m having a bit of trouble getting my harmony remote (Harmony One) working with this. The plex setup I had with harmony remote (which worked great with the previous version), now just activates the previous version of the plex client, and I can’t seem to find a setting that controls the new client in the harmony setup. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

23. David December 24th, 2012 12:59 am

I Can’t access the Download section either. Says the following.

[#10342] We could not determine which forum this topic is in.

24. xain09 December 24th, 2012 1:27 am

Many thanx and a happy Christmas :)

25. moonshine December 24th, 2012 1:35 am

why there is a change in name ? now all the settings are off…

26. Mac December 24th, 2012 1:37 am

Please keep the PVR!
    That would be an awesome feature!!!

27. ktd December 24th, 2012 2:00 am

You guys are amazing! Can’t wait to come home and try this new client.

Marry Xmas!

28. Lars Op den Kamp December 24th, 2012 2:07 am

Where can we download the source code of this? Any reason for disabling PVR support?

29. jfplopesusa December 24th, 2012 2:54 am

Oh my …..This was the upgrade i was waiting for to center all my media library usage in a single app. Airplay and HD-audio support. Good job Plex team

30. zakharm December 24th, 2012 4:06 am

+1 for libCEC support.

Also, could we possibly see a Raspberry Pi native client? Don’t make me build my own ;)

31. Sander December 24th, 2012 4:54 am

No clue. I downloaded from windows and now the link also works flawless from OSX.
    Great, Thanx,

32. SkinMeAlive December 24th, 2012 5:13 am

Will the Laika skins work on this? If not, can we get updates to RetroPlex ASAP?

33. Anville December 24th, 2012 6:00 am

“Plex Home Theater” seems no more clear than “Plex Media Center” to distinguish from the server package, since they both (to me) imply complete solution packages. Why not just “Plex Media Player for Desktop”? That has meaning for techie and non-techie.

34. wally007 December 24th, 2012 6:17 am

Thank you for very nice christmas present. Merry Christmas to all Plex staff and volunteers.

35. wmbell December 24th, 2012 6:42 am

So, you said, “in typical Plex fashion, we’ve also disabled/removed a bunch of stuff too…” Would you please elaborate on what has been disabled an/or removed? Thanks.

36. kuro December 24th, 2012 6:51 am

Please please please make a linux so I can get rid of plexbmc ! You guys rock !

37. cryptochrome (@cryptochrome) December 24th, 2012 6:56 am

I am with Rodalpho on this. I don’t think it’s a good idea to restrict the beta test to paying customers. For one, it has a bad side taste of making people pay to do your testing job (for all I know, beta tests are usually free because the user provides the service of testing), and second, what Rodalpho said, less people will pick it up which will result in less bugs found.

BTW: I have a PlexPass.

38. cryptochrome (@cryptochrome) December 24th, 2012 6:57 am

Frodo (XBMC) has live TV support. Is that available in Plex HT or did you strip that off?

39. Mychal December 24th, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks for the holiday update!
    At first glance, it looks like video directory is present but channels is missing from the menu.

40. elan December 24th, 2012 9:59 am

@kuro: it’s quite likely there will be a linux release at some point, and … well … I have a few Raspberry Pi devices sitting around, it would be a shame to put them to waste, no?

41. elan December 24th, 2012 10:01 am

@moonshine: we specifically put settings and such in a different directory to allow people running old and new side-by-side. Seemed like the safest thing to do :)

42. stopthegears December 24th, 2012 10:08 am

Does this release work with the Ceton InfiniTV4? I have been stuck on an earlier release as the newer ones break the tuner card with Windows MC 7. Anyone else running a WMC with a Ceton and upgraded to the Plex preview?

thanks

43. elan December 24th, 2012 10:10 am

@Rodalpho: We’re not looking to get the maximum number of testers. As anyone who’s run a beta program knows, a really good tester is worth their weight in gold. We’ve found that the most passionate users of Plex tend to be the best testers, and we value their feedback. Our goal is to limit the exposure of big bugs to as small a useful group as possible. Trust us, there will be plenty of bugs for others after we GA it :)

44. elan December 24th, 2012 10:12 am

@wmbell: I don’t have a full list in front of me, but I know at least the PVR stuff.

45. cryptochrome (@cryptochrome) December 24th, 2012 10:26 am

Ah…. you stripped the PVR? That would have been such an exciting feature. Watching (and recording) live TV would make Plex complete.

46. Age December 24th, 2012 11:20 am

Will this release have support for movie sets? I really hope so, all seven Harry Potter movies are cluttering up my movie list right now.

47. Rodalpho December 24th, 2012 11:23 am

@elan: Fair enough, you know best what works for you. Just seemed a bit ack-bassward to me. Looking forward to the final release and I’m VERY happy to see you hinting at a linux client!

48. dev December 24th, 2012 12:53 pm

Elan, what do you think about unified Movies and Tv Shows sections? I have 3 macs, and it’s a pain in the ass seeing 3 “Movies” and 3 “Tv shows” in the main window .. would be SO MUCH easier to just have 1 unified section for all of them. Merry Christmas to all your team!

49. Justin December 24th, 2012 1:07 pm

I was really hoping we’d be seeing an updated client and I got my present the day before Xmas, awesome! However, I really hope you guys are working on updating the client still to have a better skinning engine and support for other features that have been requested. I hope that you’re not just relying on the XBMC devs for the skinning engine bit.

50. Mike December 24th, 2012 1:28 pm

I agree with the others, having live tv/pvr support would allow me to use Plex purely for all my media purposes. Please consider this for future releases guys! Also fix Plex for Win8 metro por favor! :)

51. Lars Op den Kamp December 24th, 2012 1:50 pm

Heh, quite funny to see that you guys ripped out both the things I did (libCEC and PVR) ;-) Any good reason (except me starting to bitch when the source is not available)?

52. Scot December 24th, 2012 2:08 pm

I agree with others, if the PVR part of the XBMC code could be left in then I would have a complete solution for a front end client…please please consider enabling the PVR function…

53. Jonas December 24th, 2012 2:30 pm

@Lars Op den Kamp
    Lol, my money says that’s EXACTLY the reason :)

54. Steven December 24th, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey look! An update to the media player, and an instant payment for a month of PlexPass for me. Great Christmas gift, and I look forward to seeing more progress made on this in the near future.

I am a bit disappointed to see that features are being taken out of the XBMC code straight out of the gate. That’s been one of the major problems with the desktop player, the lagging behind the competition in terms of features. I hope that in the future these decisions are revisited.

55. Rodalpho December 24th, 2012 3:35 pm

I imagine they just didn’t want to support the PVR and LiveTV stuff on mobile clients.

Not sure why CEC was taken out. That’s a neat feature.

56. Draco December 24th, 2012 7:49 pm

I would’ve also preferred that the PVR functionality was left in. It would make Plex much more convenient for me.

57. crypto December 24th, 2012 10:14 pm

disappointed that the PVR code has been taken out – would have instantly signed up for PlexPass, as it is am looking at moving away from Plex back to XBMC for reason

58. moonshine December 24th, 2012 10:47 pm

@elan: thats good for those who wana run them separately… how many are those as opposite to those who want continuity ?? why would I have to re-configure ? can i just rename the whole thing ?

59. nekton December 25th, 2012 1:43 am

Launched the first time OK but second and subsequent launches all crash immediately with this in Console
    12/25/12 8:03:54.055 PM Plex Home Theater[11718]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    12/25/12 8:03:54.055 PM Plex Home Theater[11718]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    12/25/12 8:03:54.287 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[144]: ([0x0-0xcb3cb3].com.plexapp.plexmediacenter[11718]) Exited with code: 255
    12/25/12 8:04:01.174 PM SystemUIServer[161]: [QL] Can’t get plugin bundle info at file://localhost/Applications/iBooks%20Author.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/iBooksAuthorQL.qlgenerator/
    12/25/12 8:04:09.935 PM Dock[159]: no information back from LS about running process
    12/25/12 8:04:34.201 PM Plex Home Theater[11729]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    12/25/12 8:04:34.201 PM Plex Home Theater[11729]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    12/25/12 8:04:34.426 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[144]: ([0x0-0xcb7cb7].com.plexapp.plexmediacenter[11729]) Exited with code: 255
    12/25/12 8:04:41.262 PM Finder[162]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:fraction:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.
    12/25/12 8:04:41.263 PM Finder[162]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.
    12/25/12 8:04:41.943 PM Dock[159]: no information back from LS about running process
    12/25/12 8:04:42.028 PM Plex Home Theater[11733]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    12/25/12 8:04:42.029 PM Plex Home Theater[11733]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    12/25/12 8:04:42.252 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[144]: ([0x0-0xcb8cb8].com.plexapp.plexmediacenter[11733]) Exited with code: 255

60. Dush December 25th, 2012 2:49 am

Has the excellent uPnP code from Frodo been kept?

Would be a nice addition for the Android remote too as you could send videos via uPnP to renderers without Plex being installed.

61. seagullcanfly December 25th, 2012 3:38 am

PVR functionality would have been important to me five years ago, but Plex is part of a cord-cutting solution that makes live TV feel obsolete to me now. I have cable tv because it only costs 5 dollars more a month, but I never use it. Strange though, there are definitely enough proponents of it here in the comments. I just don’t understand what I’m missing.

62. Arrgrr December 25th, 2012 6:37 am

I presume that the ability to run XBCM addons is gone along with PVR. It would be great to be able to use XBMC addons along with PLEX channels even if they do not fit into the client-server architecture, XBMC has a great developer community for addons (the tables have turned in that respect, Plex used to have the upper hand in plugins), it is the main thing keeping me on the XBMC side of the fence (running the PLEXBMC plugin with a PMS of course).

63. Higherorlower December 25th, 2012 7:15 am

Great news! Happy holidays to the Plex team!

64. Rich December 25th, 2012 4:15 pm

Oh and yes, any chance for adding support for eyetv?! How cool would that be!

65. Morgan December 26th, 2012 12:41 am

Does this mean that Plex soon can stream for example avi-video to my apple tv3 (non jailbreak version) from my Win 7 PC?

66. Pedro December 26th, 2012 6:16 am

The Airplay to the ATV only streams the video/audio contents or shows the all Plex Home Theater menus in the TV? That would be great!

67. Adam December 26th, 2012 12:41 pm

So, I’m using this new client on Mac – my iPhone does not see any new AirPlay targets – do I have to enable something inside of Plex to get it to show up on my iPhone?

68. BigWheel December 26th, 2012 1:50 pm

i think you meant Mordor not Fordo :) Thanks the release

69. Howie December 27th, 2012 11:21 am

I used to be able to add a video channel that was actually a subdirectory on my HD. Don’t seem to be able now. Any suggestions or did I miss something?

70. Dawiinci December 27th, 2012 12:10 pm

Sounds good, hope it gets final soon.

Please tell me you fixed the annoying “no audio before changing to another audio stream over HDMI” bug.

71. Matt December 27th, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi. There’s an active discussion about a future release that will end our ability to add local content in the Video Channel. As a participant in the discussion, I was wondering whether the XBMC code will maintain this capability or eventually we will lose it.

Since Plex lacks parental control or user accounts, it’s a way I keep R rated content away from my 4-year old (it’s hidden in the channels). It’s also easier to use plex to watch something without having to add it to the server if it’s not online/available.

72. sti25impreza December 28th, 2012 3:18 am

The Windows version is crashing for me everytime I attempt to close Plex, anyone else experiencing this? The OSX version is working great other then airplay, my devices see it and think they are playing content through it but nothing ever plays.

73. Peter December 28th, 2012 10:58 am

Another lament for the loss of liveTv / pvr

This past week I’ve moved to xbmc 12rc2 for front end and LOVE the way it manages all my media and tv needs in a single interface.

Wile I love the client-server approach of plex, I’m going to ditch it for front end in favour of xbmc. The pvr implementation is really elegant and allows users choose their preferred backed etc.

I’ll keep using plex for media management but this latest client really highlights where client is going and it’s not for me.

74. Sean December 29th, 2012 12:33 am

I wish you would have left PVR support in. I use an HD Homerun to capture over-the-air broadcast streams. The ability to access this content from within Plex would truly make it one-app-to-rule-them-all. Instead, it’s incomplete and won’t be my front end. Please put PVR in the next release!

75. RXP December 30th, 2012 1:12 am

For those of you that want Plex’s backend server with XBMC try using the new uPnP sharing feature. It works pretty well. You don’t get all the nice channels of Plex but you can easily update your media from one location and access it on clients.

76. zombiestomp6 December 30th, 2012 11:22 am

New XBMC = Frodo. You have Fordo with one typo calling it Frodo in your original post here. Nice job

77. Jay December 30th, 2012 7:02 pm

No big deal on the PVR part for me. I’m done with cable TV, and have you to thank! Going to install the Beta over the New Year, hopefully I can get the RetroPlex skin to work with it. That’s gonna be a deal breaker for the missus. lol

78. Jackson December 31st, 2012 9:13 am

AHH!! I can’t believe I missed this!
    Downloading now (thankfully I’m a PlexPass holder)

Cheers!!

79. elan December 31st, 2012 2:45 pm

@zombiestomp6: “Fordo” was an intentional anagramming, which the post makes clear.

80. Elrod January 1st, 2013 9:04 am

I’m getting this message when I click the links: [#10342] We could not determine which forum this topic is in.

81. Alex January 1st, 2013 8:15 pm

@elan
    I believe zombiestomp6 was talking about the ‘Frodo’ that is below the picture.

“Frodo hasn’t shipped yet. It’ll crash, and hang, and possibly even overwater your house plants. We’ll be updating it frequently, and when it’s ready to come out of the oven, we’ll release it for everyone.”

The way I am reading it, I think you meant ‘Fordo’.

82. zombiestomp6 January 2nd, 2013 1:56 pm

@elan – Witty and intentional anagramming aside, I like the way you’ve managed to entice people to pay to be your beta testers.

83. elan January 2nd, 2013 3:56 pm

@Elrod: that generally implies you don’t have PlexPass. If you do, please email me and I’ll check on your account.

84. elan January 2nd, 2013 4:03 pm

@Alex: I see what you mean. I was referring to the fact that the upstream project (Frodo) hadn’t been officially Gold Mastered yet :) I just clarified.

85. elan January 2nd, 2013 4:09 pm

@zombiestomp6 ~ it’s certainly not for everyone, but many people seem to be enjoying the perks of a PlexPass, among those early access to new features and products.

86. zombiestomp6 January 2nd, 2013 4:44 pm

It’s all good elan. I just don’t get the general idea there is all. I do like what you guys do and appreciate the software.

87. Peter January 3rd, 2013 5:00 am

I’d like to see the ability to play full screen video in Mac Plex Home Theater without displaying the linen on the other screen (typical Lion/Mountain Lion full screen behavior). I know this can be done because it works in other video players like MPlayer. Right now the only options to play Plex video on the Mac are through the website which has the same full screen playback behavior and the Plex Home Theater app which all you can possibly do is resize the window as big as it can go.

88. Peter January 3rd, 2013 5:02 am

OK, I see that I can specify full screen then pick a monitor, this will work.

89. Robert January 3rd, 2013 12:37 pm

Sorry Elan, but I have to ask: since this beta is still based on XBMC, shouldn’t the source be made available to everyone instead of just those with a PlexPass? I’m a huge Plex fan, so I really hope I’m just missing a link somewhere to this key GPL requirement.

90. elan January 3rd, 2013 2:05 pm

@Robert: There’s a link to the source next to the download link, so everyone who we’re distributing it to has access to the source. Have fun ~ http://plex.r.worldssl.net/plex-ht/0.9.9.46-8f504fc/PlexHomeTheater-0.9.9.46-8f504fc-src.tar.bz2 :)

91. dawiinci January 3rd, 2013 2:45 pm

I have severe issues withe the latest Plex Media Center so I have high hopes in this release when I finally will be able to play a movie without having to fiddle around for ten minutes or using PleXBMC.

- “Our only interest is making it work as well as humanly possible with our media server.”
    Just what I want.

How long do you think we have to wait for the release?

92. elan January 3rd, 2013 6:05 pm

@dawiinci: just depends on when we feel like it’s stable enough for the “masses” :)

93. Dawiinci January 4th, 2013 1:30 am

Since its definatly more stable than the latest PMC it shouldn’t take too long. ;)

XBMC Frodo seems pretty stable to me.

Thanks for all your work!

94. dinger928 January 6th, 2013 11:11 am

Anyone else see the loss of sony blu ray player recognizing PMS? I can see preferences, and folders, but when clicked on the individual folders, say movies or tv, it comes back as unable to communicate. ipad and iphones still work perfectly, as does a win7 laptop.

95. arunas January 6th, 2013 11:34 pm

I don’t think comparing PVR with microwave and toaster is fair. PVR is genuine and useful part of full Media Centre solution. Currently I have to jump to either Windows Media Centre or Media Portal for all PVR related stuff. Controlling everything from single Plex interface would be so much neater…

96. Kyle January 15th, 2013 8:18 am

I am also wondering where PlexSync is for Android? I am a PlexPass member and have been awaiting this product since it was announced along side its iOS counterpart.

97. elan January 15th, 2013 9:33 am

@Kyle: it’s being worked on, sorry it’s taking so long!

98. Wineaux January 16th, 2013 4:46 am

I’m still holding off on purchasing a PlexPass until parental controls are added. Not having basic parental controls by now is just mind boggling. I can’t turn my 5 year old loose on my Plex Server without it, and I know I’m not the only one by a long shot. Please add this feature to Plex Home Theatre and I’ll be more than happy to get my PlexPass and help Beta Test it.

You also had mentioned a while back that you had purchased a new Panasonic HDTV and were going to start working on a Plex app for Panasonic Smart video devices. What’s the word on this? I’d love to have a working Plex app for my Panasonic HDTV and BD-Player. If you need Beta Testing help for a Panasonic app, I’m your huckleberry! :)

99. Shawn January 29th, 2013 10:20 pm

I love y’all’s app. I have it on my media center pc, my samsung tv, and my android phone. And as far as streaming functions go, it works flawlessly. BUT. The media organization is kind of hosed in some cases. For example, I just tried to load in a personally ripped mp4 of Anchorman from my dvd collection, and it is coming up as Akira. I like Akira too, and maybe someday I’ll get around to ripping it as well (when I’m done ripping all the movies my girlfriend might actually want to watch first ;), but it’s really frustrating that there is no convenient way of fixing this mis-naming issue. I haven’t added any weird meta-data to the mp4, and it is named simply “Anchorman” in a folder named, appropriately enough “Anchorman,” and regardless of what metadata agent I use, it keeps trying to link me to Akira. Frustrating, to say the least :(

100. elan January 30th, 2013 12:21 pm

@Shawn: Should be able to “fix incorrect match” in Plex/Web manager and fix it quickly!

101. Chris January 31st, 2013 3:01 am

I’ve just tried Plex for the first time using the Plex iOS app, Roku 2 XS client, all connected to a Pled Media Server.

It seems great for video but not so much for Music. Using the iOS app there seemed to be no concept of a queue. I could only play a single song at a time or a full album. Is this something Plex will be working on to improve? If so I see this as a great alternative to Sonos and other distrubuted music systems.

Thanks and great work
    Chris

102. Ben February 7th, 2013 11:48 pm

I wish I could play an entire album in the Plex app for iOS… It only lets me play one track at a time. Any workaround to this? Is it something I do wrong or is it just not implemented yet? Thanks.

103. jagaskywalker May 9th, 2013 9:59 pm

Is there an estimation on when is this going to be made public ?

More than 4 months have passed since it firts appeared… in the meantime the new xbmc has already had a couple of updates….

We feel totally abandoned…. much has changed since the origins of plex…

104. elan May 10th, 2013 6:22 pm

@jagaskywalker: totally understand, it won’t be long. It wasn’t supposed to be this long to begin with, but one of our main guys working on it had a baby, and we all know babies can make for reduced coding time :) We just want to make sure it’s better than what’s out there. Unfortunately the new XBMC releases introduced some pretty horrific bugs with AudioEngine on OS X, which has also taken quite a bit of time to stabilize.

105. jagaskywalker May 16th, 2013 10:52 pm

Thank you elan ! (I almost update the site everyday for the last few months hoping to see the new version ;)

106. Jerry May 26th, 2013 8:03 am

3D!? Is there now a chance to watch 3D movies (mkvs and images of blu-rays) on Windows?!

I think that would be a very nice feature! Until now I can “watch” half of the 3d videos but Plex does not switch to 3D modus, I see two seperate images!

Please update full 3D support to Plex Media Center => Plex Home Theater!

Or make it possible that I can watch 3D videos with PowerDVD 13 (until now, I can connect to the Media Server but PowerDVD 13 crashes after clicking on a 3D movie! Normal watching 3D on PowerDVD 13 runs perfectly!

107. sensamic June 30th, 2013 4:19 pm

Elan, thanks for all your hard work.

May I ask one single simple feature to be added back to the new Plex Media Theater update?

It’s pretty simple actually.

On previous versions of Plex I could jump 10 minutes backwards on any video using the long press left button on the Apple remote ( you know, the left button in the black circle).

The weird thing is that jumping 10 minutes or so forwards using the long press right button is still there, but the long press left button doesn’t work anymore. Using the Apple keyboard works pressing the down arrow I think.

What do you think? Is it a bug? Can you bring it back on the new update please?

Thanks and great work.

108. elan June 30th, 2013 7:52 pm

@sensamic ~ sounds like a potential keymap issue, I’ll make a note.

109. Marco August 27th, 2013 4:34 am

Hi, none of the above download links are working and many of the linked forum posts are deleted.

I’m a Plexapp-Member and would like to download the newest Plex Media Center App for OS X. Or is it called Plex Home Theater now? Thanks for help.

110. elan August 27th, 2013 9:43 am

@Marco: links are all working here. You need to be signed into the forum to see them.

111. Marco September 6th, 2013 10:25 am

Hi elan, thanks, i got lost.. I now made bookmarks of the download-links to stay up-to-date since auto-update doesn’t work for plexpass-owners.

“The release can be downloaded here: