A Plex/Web Update - Plex Blog

A Plex/Web Update

, , | 16 Nov 2012 | by 91 Comments

About 10 weeks ago, we did something a little different: We released a new Plex web app into the hands of our PlexPass members. The app wasn’t finished by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a giant step towards replacing the aging and slow Plex web manager (and the aging and slow Cocoa manager on OS X), and a giant leap into the future, where you could access, organize, and play all of your media from anywhere in the world with just a web browser.

Releasing as early as we did to a group so passionate about Plex was an unqualified success. Over this period, we made about 10 releases of the app into PlexPass, adding features, implementing your suggestions, and fixing the bugs you reported. We want to thank you all – from the bottom of our hearts – for your help and feedback. Because of you, we have a much better app to show as a result.

To those who are not yet PlexPass members, we are shortly going to be releasing into your hands something that we’re very proud of. We’re confident that because of this PlexPass “gauntlet” it had to pass through, you’re getting a better app than you otherwise would have, and mostly likely sooner than you would have otherwise gotten it. Those guys really held our feet to the fire :-) And if you would like to help shape Plex, and get early access to cool stuff, you can sign up here!

During the same period, we also made three pre-releases of the next Plex Media Server to PlexPass members, with added API functionality for Plex/Web and a few other really cool things we wanted to preview. One of those is a new transcoder which goes idle when it gets ahead, instead of simply taking up the entire CPU. It also supports subtitles on the PS3. We’ll release it publicly at the same time as Plex/Web.

At around the same time as we launch Plex/Web and the new media server, we’ll be introducing a brand new preview for our PlexPass members, of a premium feature. We can’t say anything more about it except that if you have a mobile device, we think you’ll really, really like it.

Without further ado, let’s take a quick tour through some of the coolest things we’ve added to Plex/Web in this period. First up, something that’s been requested for literally years, multi-selection. Type in “star wars” in the quick filter, select all the movies, and add them to a new collection. Or delete the ones with Jar Jar.

Fullscreen 11 22 12 2 59 AM

We’ve also added support for universal search. Quickly search for movies, artist, albums, shows, episodes, and online videos from a single place. I do love my zombie movies, apparently.

Screenshot 11 16 12 8 08 PM

Sometimes it’s late at night, we’re all hanging out in the Plex chat room, and someone says “Wouldn’t it be cool if…” That’s how remote playback got added; that’s right, you can now fling media from any web browser to Plex apps which support remote control.

Screenshot 11 16 12 8 42 PM

We’ve also added support for audio stream and subtitle selection, as well as actually displaying subtitles in the player.

Fullscreen 11 16 12 8 46 PM

One of the things that was really important to us was feedback during a scan. Our resident Javascript wizard Eric even made the posters flip like they used to in the old Cocoa manager (on browsers that support it):

We’ve also added support for browsing audio and photo channels (and improved support for video channels).

Screenshot 11 16 12 10 00 PM

The On Deck feature is super popular, so we added an easy one-click way to access it inside sections.

Screenshot 11 16 12 10 01 PM

One of our foremost goals with Plex/Web was to greatly improve the “first run” experience for new users. Historically, on OS X we had a wizard, but it was out of date; on Linux and Windows, we didn’t have anything at all. We’re now thrilled that Plex/Web has an extensive setup wizard which integrates myPlex setup, lets you drag the bookmarklet right from the wizard, and lots of other stuff.

Screenshot 11 16 12 10 05 PM 2

Last, but not least, the media server keeps a rich universe of information about your media, and we’re trying to do more to expose it. To this end, we added a nice “media info” dialog which shows lots of details. Media nerds will love it, and it’ll definitely help for diagnostic purposes.

Screenshot 11 16 12 10 11 PM

In summary, Plex/Web kicks some galactic-level derrière. Coming soon, to a browser near you…

(And if you’re dying to check it out right now, get yourself a backstage PlexPass…)

1. Johnny November 16th, 2012 10:38 pm

This is great and exciting news! Congratulations, Plex Team!

2. Johnny November 16th, 2012 10:44 pm

Barkley? ;)

3. elan November 16th, 2012 10:50 pm

@Johnny: now, now, the dog only comes out for actual releases. He got a good lawyer to write up his contract.

4. Healeydave November 16th, 2012 10:57 pm

What about the ability to allow non-administrative user access to PlexWeb?
    I really want family members to be able to use this, but I’m not comfortable with them being able to accudentally damage my library with all those admistrative tools just sitting there by default!

5. Jason November 16th, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Elan,

I pay to be plex pass member and i have not received any updates or any of the pre-releases to the plex media server that was stated above. Why not? i thought i was paying extra to be a part of that and all of this was news to me

6. elan November 16th, 2012 11:06 pm

@Healeydave: Permissions, parental control, etc. is often requested, and it’s definitely on our radar for the future.

7. elan November 16th, 2012 11:06 pm

@Jason: They’re all in the Preview Releases forum ~ http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/forum/121-preview-releases/

8. Jason November 16th, 2012 11:16 pm

i see! duh! sorry i didnt know that!

9. Mark November 16th, 2012 11:19 pm

@elan:

YAY! So basically we won’t need dedicated clients for internet connected devices, right?

Am I right in thinking that an Xbox will be visually on par with the Roku etc when it comes to presenting your media on the web browser?

If so, COOL!

10. elan November 16th, 2012 11:22 pm

@Mark: There’s good news and bad news there. It actually looks quite awesome in IE10 on the XBox from what I’ve heard. The bad news is that video playback doesn’t work because 1) Microsoft doesn’t support Flash and 2) Microsoft doesn’t support HTTP Live Streaming and 3) Microsoft doesn’t support Silverlight Smooth Streaming in IE10 on the XBox. Makes me unhappy face.

11. Mark November 16th, 2012 11:29 pm

Dagnabbit! So Close!

Curse you Microsoft!

I guess DLNA will have to do for now.

Anyway, thank you elan and the rest of the Plex team!

12. Christian Borchgrevink-Vigeland November 16th, 2012 11:32 pm

Wouldn’t it be cool if it was possible to export/backup media info frpm tje manager in an easy way?

13. claw November 16th, 2012 11:44 pm

Still no love for the good ol’ Plex Mac Client? It’s great you focus on the future and bring all this fancy new stuff, but please cover your bases and fix the Mac client (sooner rather than later would be great)

14. Matthijs November 17th, 2012 12:43 am

Any update About getting plexpass without a credit card?

15. dawiinci November 17th, 2012 12:52 am

Will this mean the Plex client becomes obsolete?

I just want to state XBMC is already at version 12 but Plex is still based upon 10. I can’t even start a movie without issues and Airplay is still not included.

Sorry to complain about – you make great work an all other apps but the Plex client is not only aging it’s going to a state of not being usable.

16. MTII November 17th, 2012 1:02 am

As a Plex Pass subscriber I can testify to the fact that the new web client is really great and that it is being developed at a rapid pace. When Direct Play is added, it will cover all my needs.

Regarding Parental Controls, it makes me quite sad that it is still only “on the radar for the future” since that has been the phrase used for years, literally, regarding user requested features, most of which have yet to see the light of day. In fact the feature is one out 3-4 maybe 5 feature requests with the most votes in the Plex Pass forums.

17. Luke November 17th, 2012 1:16 am

Hi Guys, Can you look at adding IMDB integration so their recommend system pops up a channel on Plex to recommend movies to me. My biggest issue now is trying to figure out what to watch as my library has grown. Love the service.

18. Guest November 17th, 2012 1:43 am

Any chance of having watched move & show video view counts being saved and synchronized with myplex. I hate having to manually mark movies and shows that I have already watched especially after reinstalling plex on another computer.. Would really love for my watched videos and plex preferences be saved to the cloud on myplex. thanks!

19. Michiel November 17th, 2012 3:35 am

That’s why on your xbox you can easily use DLNA :)

20. Harley November 17th, 2012 3:50 am

Might want to be a litte careful about what movies you show you have. Dark Knight hasn’t come out yet.

21. cryptochrome (@cryptochrome) November 17th, 2012 4:00 am

You know I’ve got to hand it down to you: Having your beta testers pay you for testing new stuff is just brilliant! :-D SCNR.

22. Court November 17th, 2012 5:49 am

Awesome News. I’m really hoping that “little something” for mobile users is the ability to download to our devices. That is a HUGE feature I have been hoping for and would be great to have for our trip up north come early December…

23. darcilicious November 17th, 2012 7:10 am

You guys absolutely rock. The annual Plex Pass fee has been a great way to support you guys and get access to your awesome software updates in advance. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t use Plex both at home and remotely.

Looking forward to more great stuff!

24. jimmybones November 17th, 2012 7:13 am

i would love to get a plexpass but there is now way signing up with paypal…

i dont got a credit card!

25. Nina November 17th, 2012 7:31 am

Great news, i hope, from France, that all this stuff will come very soon…
    And i prey the Plex Gods to have 100% working subtitles (on iPad, Apple TV and PS3). Because, now, there are big problems with SRT : as you know (^^), no support for PS3, and erratic use with iPad or Apple TV (sometimes, subtitles stop working at a certain time in videos, or don’t appear at all). This is a Plex problem because with other program it works always well (ex : Air Video on iPad, PS3 media server on PS3 or my Freebox player on my Tv).

26. B. November 17th, 2012 7:40 am

Can’t wait, this looks GREAT!
    Will the new PMS be available for all platforms on the launch day, or will unRAID users have to wait for the plugin little longer?

27. elan November 17th, 2012 8:03 am

@Harley: those movies are all from a fake test section I keep around to maximize eye candy.

28. mike November 17th, 2012 8:49 am

Any word on when/if this new features will be rolled into the google tv client? Or will it be possible to install the web app (with sufficient functionality) in a google tv chrome browser?

29. elan November 17th, 2012 9:54 am

@dawiinci: You can see a few lengthly comments from me about the Plex Mac/PC client in the previous blog post’s comments. Don’t worry, we’ll be updating it :)

[As a side note, I use it almost nightly and don't have any trouble with it, so I might question the "going to a state of not being usable" :) ]

30. Lord_Jereth November 17th, 2012 10:53 am

Personally, I would just be happy if you could fix the abysmally slow response time of the server interface. The rest is icing, but that is the main problem I have always had.

31. eduo November 17th, 2012 1:07 pm

@dawiinci – I think that “not being usable” thing is a bit of an exaggeration, I’m sure. I have a machine running this thing called “OSXBMC” which is still pretty usable, I’m sure any iteration of Laika would be much better than that.

As for Plex Pass members not knowing about updates, I must say I’m in the same boat. The blog is my only “passive” source of news for Plex. I go into the forums but for a while now I’ve had to cut that severely. Perhaps some way to push updates to plex pass subscribers? Maybe a private RSS or an email with news?

32. Poncho November 17th, 2012 1:13 pm

What about the long-over due request to have a report detailing which titles didn’t scan correctly?? I have 200 titles, but only 195 show up in Media Manager. I have no way of determining which titles didn’t scan properly. Any feedback on this?

This is much more important than adding ANY new features. Fix existing issues first!

33. claw November 17th, 2012 1:48 pm

@elan
    in regards to the client not being usable… I don’t know your usage habits, but I’ll explain mine and tell you why I have an issue with it:
    * the energy saver settings DO NOT WORK, I have no way of making the MAC go to sleep should I fall asleep while watching a movie, Plex will stay in the menu, the CPU will go to 100% (menu-rendering-know-issue or something like this) and heat up and stink up the air in my bedroom…
    * I have a super-fancy-fullHD TV, but the backgrounds and posters are pixelated, no matter what resolution I select in MacOS or Plex (known issue around the forums)
    * The shutdown timer does not work anymore (see above – energy saver)
    * I can not choose whether I want the mac to sleep or shutdown from the menu, I have to choose only 1 option to be displayed in the menu
    * the scree savers do not work anymore, only dim and black (I used to have alle the movie backgrounds wander around the screen ken-burns-style, now nothing… )
    * plex in idle state in the menu uses 100%cpu (see issues above)
    * I can not restrict the client from seeing sections/servers (have to configure firewall in the router to limit the server access to some ips, and change that when i connect a new device)
    * there is no way of seeing movie info in the on deck section
    * have you tried browsing for movies by actor… these lists are ridiculously long, and the scroll by page function of the lists was removed ‘for simplicity’
    * I cannot combine filters (I browse all movies by genre, and then want to exclude seen ones – not possible)
    * all my macs have the habit of losing network drives on waking from sleep (seems to be a general mac os issue), letting the server access sources directly (ftp, afp, smb) would be so much easier than relying on mac os x to keep the server/nas connected (this was removed with the rise of PMS and never restored)
    * I could go on, but these are the most pressing issues, and there has been no development for years concerning these matters

and from what I hear, these are just ‘on the radar’ – for ages now with no sign of change, I read forum posts from 2009 with some of these isssues

If I thought by buying PlexPass I could help along with this, I would (buy it) – but it seems you focus on mobile clients/new stuff instead of fixing old known issues

sorry for this rant, but everytime I read about new ‘features’ I get all exited, until I wake up at 3 in the morning from the buzzing of my little Mac Mini’s fan

34. elan November 17th, 2012 2:15 pm

@Lord_Jereth: Can you be a bit more specific? The abysmally slow response of the server to what?

35. elan November 17th, 2012 2:15 pm

@eduo: we’re discussing ways to improve that, including a PlexPass email newsletter to keep you updated :)

36. elan November 17th, 2012 2:16 pm

@Poncho: Agreed, there’s an issue in the Plex/Web to support this, shouldn’t be hard.

37. elan November 17th, 2012 2:22 pm

@claw: I think our usage patterns might vary a bit :)

> the energy saver settings DO NOT WORK
    > The shutdown timer does not work anymore
    > I can not choose whether I want the mac to sleep or shutdown
    > plex in idle state in the menu uses 100%cpu

I just quit Plex when I’m done watching. My wife’s the one who falls asleep during movies :) And maybe it’s because I’m a software guy, but I sort of like starting from scratch when I sit down to play something, so I just start Laika with a tap of the Apple Remote.

> backgrounds and posters are pixelated

The skin is designed for 720p, and upgrading it for 1080p is a pretty massive endeavor. Likely will come in the future…

> the scree savers do not work anymore

I use black, since I own a plasma TV now.

> I can not restrict the client from seeing sections/servers

We’ll deal with this along with parental controls et al.

> there is no way of seeing movie info in the on deck

It’s been requested, will be addressed.

> I cannot combine filters

Will be addressed, already works in Plex/Web.

> all my macs have the habit of losing network drives on waking from sleep

No plans to add networked file support to PMS.

38. claw November 17th, 2012 2:39 pm

@elan: I appreciate you taking the time responding, and it seems our usage patterns vary quite a bit… I think what annoys me the most is that some of these features are still available via the interface, they are just not implemented or not working.. I am a web developer, I don’t know whether that makes me a software guy too in your eyes, but when I am at home watching movies I generally haven’t the time or the nerves to ‘play around’ with my MediaCenter (that’s also why I don’t dabble in Linux anymore – I came to appreciate the ‘It just works’ claim of the Mac Community. The current Mac Client lacks refinement, and the days of it being the non-plus-ultra of the MediaCenters are sadly over (going the same way apple does now) – going the other extreme of feature creep.

39. Claw-Supporter November 17th, 2012 4:16 pm

Claw has some good points. Elan… Just because YOU like shutting down Plex and using the Black screensaver, that doesn’t mean that everyone likes doing that. The energy saving, screensavers, and visualizations are CLEARLY bugs which should be addressed!!

40. Russ November 17th, 2012 5:27 pm

I signed up for PlexPass on the first day, and I’m absolutely loving the web client. Anybody out there that are not convinced, do yourselves a favor and get access to this right now. It really is the perfect companion for mobile users, especially iPad users. I use the web client at this point specifically for metadata editing and media organization, and it’s getting better and better.

41. elan November 17th, 2012 6:15 pm

@Claw-Supporter: My point is that yes, those are bugs, but we have 50 years worth of bugs and features to implement, so we generally prioritize bugs with workaround under other stuff. I would suspect many of them will get fixed in the next big client update, that being said.

42. Tyler November 17th, 2012 8:35 pm

The DLNA implementation on PS3 is good, but I feel like it would be better to create a native app for the system so it was as reliable as the Roku app. I would be more than willing to pay $5-$10 for it in the PS Store, and I’m sure I’m not alone. By going native, stuff like pausing for too long crashing the video, resume points not saving cross-platform and limited poster/background support could be fixed. Thoughts?

43. Claw-Supporter November 17th, 2012 11:17 pm

@elan… I forgot to say… Thank you, for all that the Plex team has done for the HTPC community! Your work is usually greatly used, yet under appreciated. Sometimes, we can easily forget how much we get for so little!!

44. Sebastian November 18th, 2012 12:02 am

@elan how can I get this new mediaserver? I have plexpass but if i use the link above i get “[#10333] We could not find the forum you were attempting to view.”?

45. Steven Davis November 18th, 2012 4:00 am

I’m not going to post my usual stuff, but I wanted to address something regarding the Mac client. The issues a lot of people are having with the Mac client, isn’t that the player is unusable, but the lack of forward progress in development.

I’ve never had many playback issues with the client, it works fine on my MacMini. The bug fixing, from my POV, has been fantastic. The PMS is what made me switch from XBMC, and it’s what keeps me using this product. But I play 98% of my media on my MacMini. The iOS clients, the 3rd party media players… they’re all great. They’ve allowed me to share my content with other people in my house with very little hassle. But the main user experience for me, which is what I’m mainly concerned with, is the Mac client.

When I see the progress in the development of other media players (XBMC) I get jealous and it makes me want to switch. Now, 5 mins of using those other programs leads me right back to the comfort of PMS. But I don’t think that’s how anyone wants to experience a piece of software they want to use, yearning for the everyday experience of another program.

Not only has the lack of development on the Mac client hurt the user experience, but it’s also had an impact on skin development. There’s been a huge drop off since the last major revision of the player. This not only hurts the possible introduction of new skins, but when new features do end up being introduced to the client, the skins end up being broken for longer than necessary. Forward progress on the client will lead to more active skin development.

I’ve had concerns with the direction of Plex for a while. The client being the main reason and now the movement away from a native Mac PMS program is another (I’m aware PMS for Mac still works, but new development is happening in the web app). I’d love to pay the $30 for a membership to PlexPass, hell I’d love to pay the $70 for a lifetime membership. But I don’t know where development is headed, and beyond constant replies of “it’s on the roadmap” I haven’t been given any information to help clarify it for me.

Lots of people will view this as me being greedy. Taking advantage of a free program and then complaining at the suggestion of paying for it. That’s not the case. I’ve voiced my concerns and haven’t been satisfied with the response., and I don’t have any other recourse as a user other than “voting with my wallet.” The way the “next big client update” keeps being talked about makes me think it’s six months away. That could be wrong, it could be out next week, but the vagueness with which it’s talked about doesn’t inspire confidence in actually seeing these issues being addressed in a timely manner.

Anyways, I lied, this was probably a rehash of a lot of the stuff I’ve complained about before. But I felt it was necessary to clarify a few things. It would please me to no end to be wrong about all of this. I hope someday soon, I am.

46. Shane November 18th, 2012 4:04 am

I also want to add that I’ve been a PlexPass member since the beginning and haven’t regretted it a bit. Love the new web app. Thanks for all the hard work.

47. David November 18th, 2012 5:11 am

Please please can we have clients that support mythtv backends?

48. Lylesback2 November 18th, 2012 6:53 am

“Media nerds with love it”, typo? Lol

Great work guys :)

49. CRIS B. BROWN November 18th, 2012 7:03 am

PLEX: Does Not Work or Function
    From Long Distances. Plain and Simple
    It Is Not Worth The Time To Even
    Set Up Plex on A Mobile Device.

50. elan November 18th, 2012 10:22 am

@CRIS B. BROWN: Your Capitalization Style is a Bit Odd, And Lots of People Would Disagree With You. Could You Be More Specific?

51. elan November 18th, 2012 10:30 am

@Lylesback2: Media nerds need all the love they can get.

@David: We don’t have much of an interest in MythTV at the moment, sorry.

@Steven Davis: you’ll be wrong about this :)

@Sebastian: You don’t *appear* to have a forums account; just log in with your myPlex credentials and you should be all set.

@Claw-Supporter: Thanks very much!

@Tyler: Not for lack of wanting. Their platform isn’t open.

52. Lord_Jereth November 18th, 2012 10:44 am

@elan

The server itself is (more or less) fine. The server interface, i.e. the browser-based GUI is what is abysmally slow. This is a known issue. For my usage, I don’t really need the bells and whistles, but when I go to change the attributes of a single incorrectly identified film, the response time can be measured in minutes if one has a large library. Trying to change the attributes of several films in different sections is positively torturous.

It has been suggested on the forums to leave the browser behind and go with a stand-alone client in order to bypass this problem. While I don’t wish to denigrate your successes or downplay your hard work – both of which are ample and appreciated – I have to echo and agree with the user who talked about fixing the old problems before rolling out the new stuff.

53. Tyler November 18th, 2012 12:00 pm

@elan
    First off, thanks for the prompt response. As for PS3, I’ve heard people say it’s a closed system, but I watch Netflix, Amazon, and now most recently, YouTube via native apps (which are only 3 of about 12 available). What rules would Plex break to keep it from becoming a native app? I doesn’t have to be anything more amazing than the Roku app, just as long as it’s better than DLNA.

I also agree with what many have said before, I love Plex, and I am so glad I built a Mac OSX server around the idea of running PMS as the backbone of my entire network. Sometimes I feel bad for complaining about a program that is so amazing and remains (to an extent) FREE. However, I echo the sentiments of @Stephen Davis in that I am jealous primarily of XBMC. Is there a way that the next release of the Mac client or the PS3 native client (still dreaming) can at least attain feature parity with the latest XBMC release? I’m mainly thinking of Airplay and HDMI-CEC capability. I’m not at all close to switching, but I read about some of those features and it gets me all excited.

I’m not a PlexPass member yet, but as members, if there is a way that we get to vote for the next feature to be added, then I will join up immediately.

54. dawiinci November 18th, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi elan,

thanks for your response. Why is Plex “not as usable (as it could be – for me)”:

When I start a movie I don’t get audio because the refresh rate changes and somehow confuses Plex or the Mac Mini. The sound is off and the video stutters extremely. I can change to an other audio stream and the sound works. Bad if a movie only has one stream… I think XBMC addresses this by waiting some seconds after the refresh rate change. Shouldn’t be too hard to fix – I was hoping since months.

I miss Airplay. ;)

The energy efficiency of Plex is bad. 100% CPU load on idle and no sleep functionality. By proper code you could help to save gigawatt hours of energy. Just another view on this issue.

I agree this doesn’t make it unusable but it could be so much better.

55. elan November 18th, 2012 12:39 pm

@Tyler: I’m flattered that you list Plex alongside Netflix, Amazon and YouTube, but unfortunately we don’t carry the same clout with Sony. Yet, at least :) PlexPass members do get access to a forum where they can vote on issues/bugfixes, which gives us awesome perspective into what people consider the most important things to work on. And like I’ve said before, we will update to the latest upstream code at some point here, promise.

56. elan November 18th, 2012 12:40 pm

@dawiinci: Thanks for the input, totally agreed those things could be improved, I think we’re all agreed there. Just a matter of resources and prioritization…

57. RckStr November 18th, 2012 2:36 pm

@Tyler & Elan: Netflix, YouTube and Amazone all make money off being on the PS3 (and any other platform). Im guessing they pay to be there.

58. Tyler November 18th, 2012 7:02 pm

@RckStr
    Maybe, but that’s just speculation. On the other hand, Sony could be content with skimming 30% off the top of whatever the Plex team decides to charge for a native app, ala Apple in its App Store. Like I said before, I’d be willing to part with $10 to make it happen, and I’m sure there are others. Has anyone on the Plex team actually tried to communicate directly with Sony on the matter?

59. Tai November 18th, 2012 10:30 pm

I know fixing bugs isn’t exciting, especially those “with workarounds”, but it is essential. These should not be prioritised lower than (all?) “other stuff”, because “other stuff” is a never ending list of exciting new features.

I know first-hand how disheartening it is and how it is to have an issue that affects you go unnoticed or ignored for a long time. Or worse, be told that you need to change your usage pattern to accommodate an obvious long standing bug just because others aren’t personally affected by it.

No software is 100% bug free, but a zero known bugs release policy and health feature freeze (only bugs fixed) period before any release does help.

Relying on a system where bugs and new features are prioritised by popularity just means that those little or edge-case bugs will never be fixed.

60. kevin November 19th, 2012 11:10 am

Upon the new release, will there be any client side updates to Plex Media Center for Windows/Mac? Are these being worked on in the plexpass chain?

61. elan November 19th, 2012 2:06 pm

@kevin: the client side has been, and will continue to be worked on :) your supposition is a fair assumption.

62. pmcd November 19th, 2012 5:59 pm

I would like to add another PayPal request.

I also worry that the Plex team is taking on too many platforms. My main Plex machine has been a Mac Mini ( and we just got another one) although we have other Plex systems. The problem is that the non-Mini clients all have issue. The Sony GTV is an excellent client but fails to mark things as watched and other minor annoyances. The LG TV is also very very good but has its issues. The Roku client seems to be hindered by the Roku hardware. Basically, they all work but none of them work perfectly. Still prefer Plex to XBMC, though XBMC has been getting better at quite a fast pace.

I haven’t tried the web client for obvious reasons but I am naturally adverse to web based solutions. The UI’s are always a pain. Hope your solution is better.

In any case, please consider the PayPal option.

philip

63. anville November 19th, 2012 6:36 pm

I got the impression after the first announcement 10 weeks ago, that the web client was just weeks away. Not complaining, but curious, what the approximate ETA on how soon is the “soon” in “coming soon, to a browser near you”

Order-of-magnitude answers are acceptable!

64. bakman November 19th, 2012 6:44 pm

Great developments. The only thing I hope for is an client update (OSX) that will display subtitles when streaming on a remote location, which currently only seems to work when using “direct play”, turn it off and subtitles are gone. It does work on iOS versions, why not on “normal” clients ? This bug has been sitting around for ages unfortunately.

65. chad November 19th, 2012 8:01 pm

love plex. Wish there was a way to “cache” an episode on my ipad for the bus trip home. Using mobile data is slow and expensive.

66. tungsten2k November 19th, 2012 9:22 pm

wow, lots of “passion” welling up on the direction and prioritization of resources here :)

i wouldn’t normally chime in here except that the other night we had thrown Fifth Element on and fell asleep (it’s one of our go-to movies) and the next morning my girl says:

“Plex went cray-cray last night! Your Macbook was on fire with the fans going full-bore; projector was still on, and the movie had been over for hours with Plex not even playing anything. It must have crashed or something!”

I said, “Yeah, it does that; ‘dunno why.”

She said, “Wow, that really *is* cray-cray.”

“cray-cray” – ‘Learn something new every day =p

67. Dreamwolf November 20th, 2012 4:49 am

Nice however, a lot of auto added art has disappeared after the PMS update and it seems there is no browse to local folder option anymore…to re-add this artwork.
    Is there a solution for this?

68. Kamus November 20th, 2012 10:12 am

Whats the deal with the “plex players” feature in the new iOS client?

You don’t mention it in the post, is it working? (it’s not for me)

69. elan November 20th, 2012 10:59 am

@Kamus: there is a new players button in the toolbar.

70. Kamus November 20th, 2012 12:07 pm

@elan: I know, that’s why I’m asking :P

71. Jared November 20th, 2012 3:09 pm

Why can’t I access a media manager? All I want to do is update a section……. When I try to select Media Manager I have to login to PlexPass, which I don’t have, and it does a great job of telling me so…….

72. elan November 20th, 2012 3:20 pm
  73. pmcdunnough November 20th, 2012 9:32 pm

@elan
    One last concern. The best and original Plex platform has been the Mac Mini. The PC is also very good. As you move into premium content and more media player type units I have this sinking feeling that we are seeing history repeating itself. I am referring to Boxee. It eventually forgot the PC and Mac and had to compromise in order to get premium access. I hope this is just an unrealistic nightmare scenario. More things are moving off the computer. Premium access comes with strings. The strings often include forgetting the computer.

Philip

74. elan November 20th, 2012 9:34 pm

@pmcdunnough: We will not boxee you.

75. dink November 21st, 2012 3:35 am

With the improvments made on the CPU usage side of things does that mean you can get away with a less powerful processor to transcode, or does it make no difference at all?

76. David November 21st, 2012 4:59 am

Elan, it doesnt necessarily have to be mythtv, raspbmc has support for live tv/recording backends for multiple pieces of software, not just mythtv, would love to see Plex have similar PVR support.

77. ALmar November 21st, 2012 8:36 am

Awesome update! But please support Pay-pall so I can get a PLexpass to!!!

78. elan November 21st, 2012 2:32 pm

@David: totally, just many different things to focus on, and live TV/PVR isn’t at the top of the list for now.

79. Ivan November 22nd, 2012 6:28 am

A few days ago I stopped being able to save movies to my plex que. All the movies I’ve tried to save (via the Chrome extension) just list in my plex online accounts as “fetching data” and don’t show up at all via my Roku. All the movies and shows I previously saved are still there.

I’m using Windows XP Professional and haven’t changed anything to cause this.

Can I get some help here?

80. elan November 22nd, 2012 12:18 pm

@ivan: due to super heavy load, things got backed up. Should be all cleared out at this point!

81. Ivan November 23rd, 2012 5:02 am

Thanks, all is back to normal.

82. Randy Murphy November 23rd, 2012 3:44 pm

My plex server will no longer find the new shows as I update the folders. I can manipulate them by moving the file folder to a new place and refresh, but this is quite a large inconvenience. I am running the plex on a Mac. Any one else having this problem?

83. Jared November 25th, 2012 10:33 am

@elan That worked. Thank you for the quick reply.

84. Mike November 26th, 2012 1:37 am

Problems with latest versions:

- Photos: no indication (at least not obvious) the full name of the picture. Half my photos don’t show and I don’t know if it is as simple as “we don’t support gif” or something else.

- Crashes, crashes and more crashes. 9.4.2 was rock solid. 9.4.3 doesn’t run before the scanner crashes followed thereafter by the server. usually crashes after running about an hour or so (may be triggered by the scanner dying).

I have reverted back to 9.4.2 for now because Plex is the center piece of my home media setup and I can’t rely on 9.4.3 right now.

System is a win7 Ultimate 64 bit for the server, quad core CPU, 8 gig of memory. Videos sit on an 9TB media server (WHS 1.0) via a mounted share to the plex server.

85. Michiel November 26th, 2012 10:24 am

@Randy Murphy Same here, shows don’t update when new episodes are added. Forced refresh is no longer possible in this web interface… Serious problem!

86. elan November 26th, 2012 2:45 pm

@Michiel: Wrench icon gives you all the refreshes/scans possible.

87. felipeg007 November 27th, 2012 3:25 pm

Awesome work guys!!!!!!

88. 20mxm January 1st, 2013 7:00 am

Can you please,please add a option to open the classic plex server without pressing alt.

89. Abe January 26th, 2013 12:17 am

The web app is great. Im really enjoying watching my movies, shows at work on our restricted network. Is there any way to get netflix to work on this protected network. Currently non of the channels work. I know its a local network restriction but any means would be appreciated.

ONE MAJOR feature request is a shuffle option in the MUSIC library for the android app and the webapp please.

I’m really enjoying the use of plex to watch my movies and shows remotely off my home computer.

Cheers,
    Abe

90. Abe January 26th, 2013 12:20 am

^^^^^ SHUFFLE ALL OPTION ^^^^^
    for the library and also for filtered queries

91. Calvin February 17th, 2013 4:36 pm

Or Shuffle option for whatever current queries in the current state.