Plex Podcast #2 - Getting the right hardware - Plex Blog

Plex Podcast #2 – Getting the right hardware

| 09 Sep 2012 | by 20 Comments

Thanks everyone, for the great response to our first episode of the Plex Podcast released along with the new Plex Web Client; that gave us the (foolish) idea to do another episode!

In this episode, Tobias is joined by Plex Ninjas Mark “Ziggimon” Walker and Paul “Trudge” Trudgian to discuss what hardware you might want to get for that ultimate Plex setup. It’s quite a long discussion about different setups and all the different factors that you need to consider (a LOT of them). A special thanks to Milos Radosavac for editing this episode.

You can subscribe to the Plex Podcast in iTunes, or directly. You can also get a direct link to episode #2 here.

Thanks to Mike Meier, we also have a Plex Podcast channel available in the channel directory if you want to listen to the podcast via Plex.

Enjoy, and please let us know in the comments what sort of topics you’d like to see in the future!

1. JPer September 10th, 2012 1:51 pm

I’m hoping that the option to subscribe means that we are in store for many more episodes in the future!

Love the podcast! Keep em coming!

2. Marty September 10th, 2012 11:49 pm

Tobias mentioned that he hosts his Plex server in the ‘Cloud’, would love to hear more about that setup, i.e.
    - Reliability
    - Speed
    - Power of virtual server
    etc…

3. tobias September 10th, 2012 11:52 pm

@Marty: it’s not really in the cloud. We have a powerful build server running VMWare ESXi that builds all the relevant Plex software. Since I only play TV/Movies with Laika I have a small instance in this cluster to serve it. So everything is in my house, reliability is great, I have it set to a very low CPU slice and almost no memory, because I don’t need it. Not a good setup for anyone other than me basically :)

4. David September 11th, 2012 4:45 am

any chance of a transcript?

5. Mike September 11th, 2012 5:08 am

This may be a silly question, but is there a way to subscribe to the podcasts in plex? If not, why?

6. Marty September 11th, 2012 6:18 am

@tobias Ahh, I totally misunderstood! I thought you had it running on EC2, which would be insane! Was really good listening to the PodCast on the Underground yesterday, lasted my entire journey home. Would love to hear more, possibly even video podcasts?

7. xain09 September 11th, 2012 10:45 am

Many thanx as always :) Webclient is amazing too by the way !

8. Brett September 11th, 2012 1:44 pm

Unless I missed it, there was no reference to hosting the server and client on the same machine. I have a Mac Mini which hosts the server (which looks at a share on a NAS), and hosts the client. Needless to buy two computers!

9. Brian September 12th, 2012 2:14 am

I just discovered Plex a month or so ago, and it is FANTASTIC. It is EXACTLY what I have been looking for for such a long time to manage/deliver my video collection. Keep up the great work. Can’t wait until the new Plex Web Client is released to the masses.

The first podcast was great. I’m going to listen to the second one today. I do have a few requests.

(1) Can you spruce up the RSS feed a bit? The “direct” XML link above, http://plexapp.com/podcasts/podcast.xml, doesn’t work in my DoggCatcher app on Android. I get a “RSS URL doesn’t seem valid: Authority expected at index 7: http://” error. Maybe some badly formatted XML?

(2) I did find a feed for Plex (http://elan.plexapp.com/feed/) by searching in DoggCatcher, but it includes the Blog articles as well. It would be nice to have an audio-only RSS feed.

(3) The audio is in M4A format, which can’t be speed-multiplied with Presto for Android, which only supports MP3 format. I like to listen to podcasts at 1.5-2.0x speed.

Brian

10. tobias September 12th, 2012 2:21 am

@Brian: thanks for your kind words.

1) I just tried to run the XML through a XMLlint program and it seems to be correct XML. It also works just fine in iTunes, Instacast, Podcasts.app etc. Maybe a bug in Doggcatcher?
    2) Yeah that is not the correct feed, that is the blog feed.
    3) Ok, I will look into generate MP3′s next time. Not sure I can though, my workflow is built around M4A, that is the way of the Apple :-)

11. tobias September 12th, 2012 2:23 am

@Brian: Ah, I quickly googled that error, it’s definitely a doggcatcher bug, they don’t URL encode the URLs to the download. We used a # in the filename, so it needs to be encoded. Please report it as a bug to doggcatcher.

12. acl2p September 13th, 2012 3:13 am

Any chance you guys might post this to the Zune store as well? You do have one or two windows users.

13. David September 14th, 2012 8:11 am

How about doing the next one as a google hangout and record it?

14. Dellex601 September 15th, 2012 9:37 am

I have been toying with Plex for a couple of weeks now trying to get it to list out Movie, Tv, and Music dir’s from 1 internal and 2 external drives, and I have to say; the darn thing seems like its half blind and the other half has no common sense!

Someone explain to me what makes Plex HAPPY? What does it want? What does it need? It plays back better than PlayOn for many important things, only trouble is that it won’t SEE half or more of the things I have in my collection…WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????

15. elan September 17th, 2012 10:03 am

@Dellex601: I’d refer you to the Media Naming and Organization Guide, hopefully that’ll help http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Media_Naming_and_Organization_Guide

Let us know if you have any more questions!

16. BigWheel September 21st, 2012 7:56 pm

I’m not sure what podcast one was about but I think your next podcast. should be about naming, organization and the scanners and manually editing metadata.

There is so much confusion, partly because folks never read the guide elan posted above. Sometime just because they did not know the guide exists. Though some users have ideas about what Plex should do and try to fight to make it do it, rather than thinking about what Plex actually does and working with it.

One example is multi version files (director cut, theatrical cut, etc) and folks insistance on trying to use quality picker (would you like to play it in 720p or 720p) instead of just splitting the file apart and editing the name in metadata to add the version to the name (Blade Runner – Directors Cut or just scroll down to BladeRunner Theatrical Cut) Which would also give the ability to have multiple quality say of the directors cut for playing on iphone and one for the full client on the PC.

Actually i think it would probably be better as a video cast of a desktop as someone organizes

17. Chris Frost September 27th, 2012 12:46 am

Great podcast and loving Plex but you didn’t cover one scenario and I’m wondering if I’ve missed anything. If money and technical know how aren’t problems but time is. Is the easiest possible system to set up and use just involve Mac Minis everywhere, a Drobo and a bunch of Ethernet over power line adaptors? Is there anything specific you would recommend for the most pain free and feature full experience?

Thanks so much for all the work,
    Chris.

18. Amos September 28th, 2012 10:03 am

Any idea if the android Plex client will run on this awesome-looking $49 Jelly Bean device?

19. sebbo November 7th, 2012 4:57 am

Can you post the link to the NAS comparison Google Spreadsheet you mention in this episode?

Thanks,