Part 1: Plex Media Server v0.9.6.8 - Plex Blog

Part 1: Plex Media Server v0.9.6.8

, | 28 Aug 2012 | by 86 Comments

OK, we have a bit of a trilogy for you. A trinity of blog posts, if you will…

This is the first part, in which we release a new version of the Plex Media Server, fixing a number of issues, and adding a few tasty nuggets.

• NEW: Support for [big surprise] (explained in part 2).
  • NEW: Mega-awesome [big surprise] (shown off in part 3).
  • NEW: Added new (advanced) preferences for enabling/disabling Bonjour/GDM.
  • NEW: (API) Support for JSON in non-channel endpoints.
  • NEW: (API) WebSocket support for sending events to clients.
  • FIX: Plex Media Scanner would occasionally crash on exit.
  • FIX: Large reduction in memory/threads usage.
  • FIX: Fix for missing posters when top agent failed.
  • FIX: MP4 files with chapter tracks were analyzed as having subtitles.
  • FIX: Some files (mostly WMV3) could fail to get framerate analyzed.
  • FIX: Make sure photo agents get hit to refresh when scanning.
  • FIX: Always send myPlex username when doing network logging.
  • FIX: (Windows) Crash when analyzing some TS files.
  • FIX: Be more lenient when parsing URIs which end in & or ?.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Minor fix to Samsung profile.
  • FIX: (Windows) Transcoder can handle RTMP now.
  • FIX: (Linux) ReadyNAS ARM builds working again.
  • FIX: (API) Fixes to preference serialization.
  • FIX: (API) Fix for paging where some items were (partially) missing (and 10% speedup).
  • FIX: (API) Signing into myPlex with ‘+’ signs in email/password was broken.

This new release can be downloaded from the usual place. We’ve moved from S3 to a new CDN, so please let us know how the download speeds are in your neck of the woods!

All this time, while we were working hard, Barkley was enjoying our new living room chair. We just sold our couch, so there’s literally nowhere to sit except for this chair, and he’s claimed it.

430990 10100674695062485 303207134 n

1. wally007 August 29th, 2012 8:15 am

Ugh. First clue was when i typed ‘Plex’ into google…. first time ever did I see custom result on the right side.

I have to go to work early in the morning, please dont keep me awake for too long :)

Thank you elan and whole plex team. ( especially iOS team :) )

2. elvyse August 29th, 2012 8:34 am

The suspense is killing me! What are those big surprises!!? :-)

3. Trevor August 29th, 2012 8:37 am

Oh please let it be offline viewing on iOS clients!!!

I get excited everytime a new Plex post shows up in my RSS reader. Keep up the great work.

4. teo August 29th, 2012 8:39 am

Well D.. (show in part 3)

5. Abbas Jaffar Ali August 29th, 2012 8:43 am

Official Apple TV support?

6. Jake August 29th, 2012 8:44 am

I have been dying for an option to “check out” content for ios devices do I can ditch crappy conversion software and iTunes syncing. Fingers crossed.

7. RpR August 29th, 2012 8:44 am
  8. JPer August 29th, 2012 8:49 am

Hell Yea! Can’t wait!

9. Kyle August 29th, 2012 8:54 am

Oh the anticipation!

10. Danny August 29th, 2012 8:56 am

plexpass and webclient! :)

Thanks.

11. carterjay August 29th, 2012 8:56 am

What’s up with the HDHomerun (non)compatibility on Plex now?

Is this SiliconDust’s problem or a lack of user interest among us homerun /plex users?

Make it so boys- there are alot of Android phones/tabs out there that can’t access these cable streams.

12. Higherorlower August 29th, 2012 8:57 am

I can’t wait to hear what the new features are!
    Great work guys, your apps continue to rock!!

13. MichaelW August 29th, 2012 8:57 am

How long of a wait until parts 2 & 3?

14. Anton August 29th, 2012 9:00 am

Is there any documentations regarding the new API functions? Especially the websockets.

15. CharlesV August 29th, 2012 9:05 am

Did a bit of digging and figured out one surprise, but apparently that’s not the cool part! Exciting!!1

16. RckStr August 29th, 2012 9:06 am

I was guessing official Apple tv support, but thats not it. Im dying to know. Come on!!

17. pjv August 29th, 2012 9:09 am

If it’s not some form of user-based access to and maintenance of watched state for the media on the PMS, i don’t even want to know whatever it is.

please oh please oh please

18. Fredrik August 29th, 2012 9:17 am

Hopefully official Spotify support

19. Chaz Croker August 29th, 2012 9:23 am

Excellent, cant wait to try it!
    Download is crawling here though ..

Chaz
    (100Mb – Cable)

20. jimmy August 29th, 2012 9:29 am

i hope support for new smasung 2012 models and the app for it :)

21. Byron August 29th, 2012 9:40 am

I’m hoping for some slingplayer support ;)

22. John August 29th, 2012 9:47 am

Surprise in part 3
    Fingers crossed….girlfriend mute….fingers crossed ;-)

23. Jordan August 29th, 2012 9:55 am

Can’t wait to install it! Download is extremely slow 25kb/s. I’m on 100mbps cable..

24. canadrian August 29th, 2012 10:00 am

Official Netflix integration so you can browse/search Netflix shows/movies alongside local content!

A guy can dream…

25. Mark August 29th, 2012 10:10 am

Where’s Poart 2…….. I can’t wait………Huh Huh Huh HUh

26. Smithcraft August 29th, 2012 10:10 am

You sold the couch?

27. AndroGnome August 29th, 2012 10:13 am

Vudu support?

28. Westyfield2 August 29th, 2012 10:18 am

Apple TV support?

29. swiffer August 29th, 2012 10:18 am

Windows 8 Metro App ?

30. eXisTa August 29th, 2012 10:27 am

Can’t wait! (do I need to stay up or will I see next week?)
    *fingers crossed* HD-audio (DTS-HD MA/Dolby True HD)

31. GAMe August 29th, 2012 10:31 am

Please Please let it be parental controls… Either way whatever they are keep up the awesome work :-P

32. James August 29th, 2012 10:46 am

One of the new plugins I see is WebClient. Looks like a web based plex viewer? Is this one of the big surprises?

33. Higherorlower August 29th, 2012 10:47 am

I would love a bit of AirPlay!

34. QuestingHero August 29th, 2012 10:51 am

parental controls would be amazing! though any and all things that the plex team have done have been a welcome addition.

35. Jeremiah August 29th, 2012 11:00 am

Took about 44 seconds to download the 60MB Mac PMS package, which is about 1.4MB/s average, peaked around 2.3MB/s, on Comcast Xfinity “Performance” 20Mbps in Northern Virginia.

36. tiwahu August 29th, 2012 11:05 am

…being installed and run as a service on Windows?

37. piehammer August 29th, 2012 11:12 am

Sure would be nice to have support for photo subfolders on ReadyNAS…

38. Ezra August 29th, 2012 11:18 am

Great call on switching CDNs. I’m in the Pacific NW and I was getting a solid 1.3-1.4 MB/sec downloads.

39. Six August 29th, 2012 11:24 am

Trailer support? Mega awesome trailer integration? :)

40. Monsieur Latte August 29th, 2012 11:28 am

So excited for the next 2 parts, I got about 2MB/s on my FIOS link.

41. plakna August 29th, 2012 11:40 am

Oooooooh my god!!

42. plakna August 29th, 2012 11:40 am

ME GUSTA

43. Lars August 29th, 2012 11:48 am

Hm, just a measly 400 KB/s where my 120 Mbit connection easily reaches around 15MB/s. Must be either a hickup or something off with the pipe. Lemme try again… [EDIT] Nope, same speed. Disappointing! [In The Netherlands by the way]

44. William Hook August 29th, 2012 12:03 pm

The new CDN is terrible. I’m getting speeds of a whopping…62KB/s. I can pull 12MB/s off Apple and Steam, and it’s horribly slow compared to the old one. :(

I’m on Virgin Media in the UK.

45. Anna August 29th, 2012 12:47 pm

Woohoo! Awesome, awesome, awesome.

46. plakna August 29th, 2012 8:42 pm

I agree with Wiliam. I’m from Austria.

47. eithe August 29th, 2012 10:06 pm

Not really in desperate need for a new web client, but of course I’ll pay for the Plex Pass to support you guys. Keep it up! *ehrm* AirPlay…

48. Russ August 29th, 2012 10:13 pm

Very fast download, new servers must be great! Thank you for the new release, can’t wait to play!

49. Julian0o August 29th, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi there! I use a unraid System and there is running a plexserver on it. Do i get a early unraid plex server too with plexpass?

50. elan August 29th, 2012 11:05 pm

@Julian0o: if you check the Linux downloads page there is a nice juicy new release for unRAID.

51. topfpflanze August 30th, 2012 4:31 am

Hi Plex Team!

Thanks for the new release!
    In regards to the new CDN, here in Perth, Australia: I’m getting 62KB/s.

I downloaded the Media Client from S3 and got 230 KB/s.

So…not that great!

Cheers

52. eames August 30th, 2012 5:09 am

The download speed is really slow for me from Austria.

Typically getting 8-9 Megabyte/s from S3 but only 300 Kilobyte/s from this link.
    (100 Mbit connection)

53. cjkeller August 30th, 2012 6:11 am

How about a link to parts 2 & 3 from this article?

54. JohnnyAwful August 30th, 2012 6:44 am

I bought PlexPass for a year and I don’t think I have access to those forums.

Also, whenever I try to use the web client, whether remotely through myPlex or locally, I get a 404 error.

55. elan August 30th, 2012 11:59 am

@ JohnnyAwful: Fixed your forum access! And if you’re getting a 404, that implies you don’t have the latest PMS running.

56. ByteKnight August 30th, 2012 3:35 pm

Any news regarding PMS and Ceton InfiniTV4 Quad on Windows 7 64bit?

57. maxime August 30th, 2012 11:27 pm

Downloading speeds in Belgium are sloooow! I’m only getting 23kb/s…

58. Sly August 31st, 2012 9:53 am

Found an Xbmc web server running on port 3000…. Could it be a part of the surprise !?

59. Anne Arato August 31st, 2012 11:59 am

Hi I just now figured our how to use your service. This is a g-d send for some people,, like me. I survive on disability, and need to cut my cable. Thank you so much I hope to be able to afford the Plex Pass in the future. Thank you so much for making this available.

60. Terry August 31st, 2012 2:15 pm

I’ve been a low-level user of Windows 7 Media Center for a couple of years, but when I saw a few weeks ago that Microsoft was going to release Windows 8 without Windows Media Center, I saw the writing on the wall and started looking around. I settled on Plex because it seemed to be the only solution focused on the long-term, with delivery of my media to any client on any platform (at the moment, I’m only using Windows Server and a couple of Windows Clients though).
    I’ll be happy to pay $30 a year when the Netflix channel works; the fact that it doesn’t, and I can’t see any effort to fix it, stuns me.

61. elan August 31st, 2012 4:53 pm

@Terry: we’ve been working with Netflix over the last few days, and today (or late yesterday) pushed an update that *should* fix it. It wasn’t that we wanted to fix it before, but something changed on the server side of things and we *just* managed to find the right contact there who has been SUPER helpful.

62. Terry August 31st, 2012 7:44 pm

Elan, I uninstalled the old version, then found all the extra Netflix files that were still around and deleted those, restarted, downloaded the 17hr old bundle from github, unzipped, renamed and put it in the plugins folder, restarted, went back into windows client, logged back into Netflix via preferences, got the same error for both movies and tv shows: N8109.

63. elan August 31st, 2012 8:21 pm

@Terry: the latest version is the one pushed to the store, I would start with that one just to make sure. Also, I can’t recall if the site configuration is stored with the Netflix bundle itself or with the SiteConfigurations bundle, so worth making sure you’re up to date. If that doesn’t work, logging out and then in again might help, as from what I understand, something cookie-related changed. If all that doesn’t work, head to the forums and open up a thread, we’re hoping to get it running well again now that we have the right contacts!

64. Michel September 1st, 2012 4:46 am

This version is more unstable that the previous one. Crash almost at every new movie put in. Using ReadyNas (x86). Until we get a stable version I guess there would be no point in PlexPass sorry to say. With a stable version I would most likely be considering.

65. Peter September 1st, 2012 9:13 am

Download speed from new server is terrible here in Denmark.
    Old server i could download with about 2-3 mbit/sec
    New server i only get 200 kbit/sec

you asked :)

66. elan September 1st, 2012 9:39 am

@Michel: make sure you’re using build 230 of the latest release, we ran into some compiler bugs with an ancient GCC in the first release and had to push an update.

67. alex September 1st, 2012 12:35 pm

Signed up and it is working great! The web interface is something I wanted for years!!!!! Thank you guys. Totally worth the cost. Finally, love this so much!!

68. Dakurt71 September 1st, 2012 11:55 pm

@elan

where do I find that 230 release for the readynas (X86) because on the download page its the 288 and that chrashes my NAS ???

69. Dakurt71 September 2nd, 2012 12:41 am

Never mind , found it

70. Frank September 2nd, 2012 3:06 am

Just upgraded on Ubuntu 32bit 12.04. Very smooth transition! As in imperceptibly smooth. It does seem to only want to open in chrome even though firefox is set as my default browser. This is the easiest media server I have ever used.

71. Nebuda September 3rd, 2012 10:59 pm

Does anyone have an alternative mirror for the Plex Client?
    I’m getting 4 to 5.2 kb/s on my 100 Mbit connection from Switzerland. (wtf?)

72. François Gendron September 5th, 2012 10:55 am

Just wanted to mention that I will remain on PMS 9.5.3 for the time being.

I applaud all the efforts made to Plex since that release, but for me it is not worthwhile yet to upgrade. Many of the plugins I use (CTVGlobeMedia, TOU.TV, Global, etc.) stopped working since 9.6.0 and have not worked on any version since. (I have tried every update, and rolled back each time) (starting a plugin channel from ATV2 will actually crash the PMS server).

I can see some postings which seem to indicate this may be an issue between PMS, the plugin and flash.

This week, I finally upgraded my ATV2 clients to iOS 5.1.1 and the new client version. This has given me new hope that I will not simply be left behind forever, but I need to see the plugin issue resolved before I upgrade the main server.

Will subscribe to Plexpass once this is resolved.

Again, I would still like to thank you for this great product.

73. elan September 5th, 2012 11:57 am

@François: I’m not aware of any compatibility issues after 0.9.5.3; if you’re getting crashes, we’d love to see the crash reports.

74. Selmer September 6th, 2012 4:44 am

I’m experencing very frequent freeze problems when watching a movie or tv-show. The source is located on my LG NAS N2B1 and I’m running PMS 0.9.6.8 from my macbook pro with OSX 10.8.1.

Anyone got the same issue or maybe a solution to the problem?

75. François Gendron September 6th, 2012 6:26 am

I will try to upgrade and generate a log later today or tomorrow.

76. Rob September 6th, 2012 7:54 am

Hey, does this work with Mountain Lion? I upgraded and now my server is not found by MyPlex.

77. elan September 6th, 2012 8:05 am

Rob: don’t know of any issues on Mountain Lion, and definitely not related to connectivity.

78. François Gendron September 6th, 2012 12:53 pm

Ok, I found the logs from the crashes when I tried the upgrade, and have put them in a zip file.

I created this ticket:

You could also close this ticket I had opened when I thought the problem was with ATV2.

Thanks,

François

79. James September 6th, 2012 8:13 pm

I forgot what I was going to say… Ohh yeah, did you add a remember movie title?

80. Texhonolize September 8th, 2012 3:31 pm

After this recent update on my Nexus 7, I’m not able to access any files and just see Channels which doesn’t do anything.

81. elan September 8th, 2012 3:38 pm

@François: the transcoder is crashing somewhere deep inside the scaling code. The only thing I might suggest is trying without subtitles (if they are enabled). Otherwise, looks to be something in that video file which is offending the transcoder.

82. ippissimus October 11th, 2012 2:13 am

Just got my Nexus 7 and installed Plex onto. I’m not able to access any files and just see Channels which doesn’t do anything – just returns me to browse page with “tap to cancel” frozen on the screen.

83. Komacrew November 20th, 2012 4:40 pm

It would be really cool to get user profiles to save watched/unwatched movies for every user. I’m using plex on a whs and would like to share my content to 2 neighbors, but until they’re crashing my watched status they’ll have to be ok with the ugly explorer, c&p and play with VLC ;)

84. elan November 20th, 2012 10:06 pm

@Komacrew: @ unwatched status, agreed :)

85. Robert Mosén November 26th, 2012 7:27 am

I was horrified when i discovered a web interface. What are you thinking? This is sooo bad.

I am actually crying right now and my first thought was that now i have to abandon PLEX.

//Bob

86. elan November 26th, 2012 10:18 am

@Bob: I’m sorry we made you cry, but luckily 99.9% of comments on Plex/Web have been super positive. If you’d like to keep using the Cocoa manager, which is slower, and less functional, please hold down the Option key when selecting media manager :)