Welcoming Plex on Samsung - Plex Blog

Welcoming Plex on Samsung

| 03 Aug 2012 | by 126 Comments

There’s really nothing that makes us happier than Plex being made available on more devices (well, except maybe a nice cold micro-brew on a hot summer day). We love our Roku channel, Plex comes on every LG Smart TV sold, and an increasing number of DLNA devices can talk to our server as well.

We’re happy to officially announce that you can now get Plex on your Samsung TV or Blu-ray player! Most 2010 and 2011 models with Smart Hub are supported (check the full list), and 2012 models will be supported before too long.

The app has been in development for a long time, and it used to rather complicated to install if you wanted to check it out, but now it’s available in the Samsung app store, so it’s just a few clicks away from being on your device.

Photo 1

The app was developed primarily by hd1080, who first contacted me over a year ago. He’s been an incredible help during that time, suggesting improvements for our API, finding bugs, and just being an overall cool guy to hang out with (virtually, of course; this *is* the 21st century). He’s since been joined by the talented Orca, and between the two of them they’re making awesome progress in adding new features.

The app is ridiculously good looking, and if you’re familiar with our Laika client, the interface is very close, which makes it the richest UI available on a device. In addition, there are other cool features, like native support for external SRT subtitles (without transcoding), and even 3D support. See more details here. The Samsung devices generally have excellent codec support as well.

Photo 2

The Samsung client is a labor of love for the guys, and if you like it, I would highly encourage you to donate to their project.

If you have a supported Samsung device, download the app and check it out, and let us know what you think!

Photo 3

Photo 4

1. Joel August 3rd, 2012 4:46 pm

Great news! I’m just about to invest in a new TV!

2. TommyJnr August 3rd, 2012 4:59 pm

Great work lads -I’m currently enjoying your fine work right now. Thanks a million. KUTGW ;)

3. Rich August 3rd, 2012 5:15 pm

Tgis sort of tging is awesome. infortunately, I’ve ordered a toshiba ‘smart tv’ from amazon and would live nothing more than an app for it.

I’m guessing rigging my Mac mini up to it via hdmi is my only option, aside from browsing files over dlna?

Awesome stuff regardless!

Rich

4. Bellboy August 3rd, 2012 5:40 pm

I’ve been using this for quite awhile and it’s awesome. Before this app, I was running Plex on my Mac mini and I either had to keep it running or having to boot up and get everything running.

Now I have Plex on my more powerful Mac Pro and streaming my library of over 350 movies and TV shows to my Sammy 2010 model. The freedom to hit my remote and watch anything on my TV from Mac or Netflix or CinemaNow…just blows my mind when I compare what I used to have to do just a few years ago.

If you have a Samsung TV I can’t recommend this app enough. It’s still a bit rough around the edges, but it’s becoming more solid each week.

Check it out!

5. Tony August 3rd, 2012 9:16 pm

I absolutely love that you’ve managed to do this, and it runs really well – but because the resolution is lower then running Plex from my Mac to the same TV, I’ll stick with the Mac version.

6. JPer August 3rd, 2012 9:16 pm

Whoa! Very nice! This made me realize that we have an older Samsung BD Player in our downstairs. I ran down to check and sure enough, it’s compatible!!!

Wahoo! Now to test it out!

7. Drh August 3rd, 2012 10:02 pm

Whilst its nice to see Plex gaining more recognition, this is one but of news that won’t mean much to me. After having a problem with all the Samdung products I’ve bought in the last 7 years and I’m not alone judging by the class action lawsuits in America, I made a decision a while ago to boycott them and not recommend anything with a Samsung badge on to my friends and family.

8. xain09 August 3rd, 2012 10:16 pm

Very nice. I love you guys:)

9. JohnnyD August 3rd, 2012 10:18 pm

Wish I had bought a Samsung and could use a good client, instead of being stuck with the lousy and never-updated LG SmartTV version. :(

10. plexboy August 3rd, 2012 10:57 pm

Great work! It installs easy and looks great! No more DLNA for me! (Of course I´m still using Plex on Mac in the home theater, but the Samsung client is great for the other rooms…)

Very high WAF…

Small note: It seems that picture quality is a little bit lower than the DLNA-client, I would appreciate some info about that, will it be permanent or is it possible to tweak?

11. Ivan August 3rd, 2012 11:01 pm

Any chance to release the client in Viera connect market on Panasonic TVs?

12. Bill Taroli August 3rd, 2012 11:25 pm

I’ve been using this app on our Samsung 8000 TV since it was first announced. It’s marvelous! I find the video output is significantly sharper than what we can get out of a Windows 7 system over HDMI. I definitely recommend the app and look forward to new releases.

I am surprised to read here about it getting better every week. Is there an upgrade channel we’re missing out on? If so, please share! I’d love to take advantage of new releases as they emerge!

13. karli August 4th, 2012 2:08 am

wow, i just installed it on my samsungtv – and now i can unplug the jailbreaked apple tv, just used it as plex client – wonderful.

will give the appletv to my neighbors because they don’t have that cool samsung tv….

14. Steve August 4th, 2012 2:44 am

Yay! More platforms, more devices in the home that can use content served from the PMS. That’s fantastic, except for this… many users now have multiple devices serving content to multiple people in a home, but we still don’t have user accounts. The watched/unwatched feature has basically become useless for those of us that have families and/or roommates using the content we are serving via PMS.

At some point developers have to realize that while expansion is great, the feature set has to keep up with it, and with Plex this hasn’t been the case.

15. Nazbatag August 4th, 2012 3:38 am

Please support for 2012 models! Amazing work guys, thx!

16. r3l4x August 4th, 2012 9:09 pm

Is there a way to quickly access the Plex-Client? Maybe a Hotkey on the Remote? Atm I have to go all the way through the menus…

Thx in advance :-)

17. noobey August 4th, 2012 9:51 pm

cannot get subtitles working at all. tried SRT’s, embedded, tried it all!

Once in the movie i press green and the subs are recognised but i cannot enable them, thats greyed out. other than that, absolutely excellent plugin.

picture quality is a bit iffy over DLNA version though.
    maybe we should get some better transcoding options?

great work!

18. wvose August 5th, 2012 7:50 am

MyPlex support coming soon?

19. Russ August 5th, 2012 11:15 am

Gret job! I wish I had a Samsung

20. Chris August 5th, 2012 11:48 pm

Works flawlessly. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

21. cesarvog August 6th, 2012 6:33 am

Excellent work. Installed it on my UN55C6900 TV as soon as I read about it and it immediately found PMS 0.9.6.7 running on my Mid-2011 Mac Mini Server. I did not have much time to play with it, but I give it a try on a 1080/24p DTS movie and it played the first 10 minutes flawlessly, including subtitles display and all. While I admit I was in a hurry, I didn’t notice any difference in picture quality from other “older” PLEX clients I have installed in other devices around the house.

22. Jamie August 6th, 2012 10:35 am

First rate. Running on D8000 55, awesome. All I want to do now is assign a but on the Samsung remote to start plex automatically and by pass the awful, awful samsung hub screen. First rate guys.

Jamie

23. Torbjörn August 6th, 2012 10:45 pm

Anything on the way in trems of plex client for Panasonic tv sets?

24. meep August 6th, 2012 11:52 pm

This is great but….

As it’s essentially an ‘external’ effort, is there any guarantee that the client will be updated in a timely fashion and will get new features as they’re released? Who owns/controls the source? Will Plex take it over if the developers lose interest?

I’ve got a TV investment on the horizon and would hate to pick a Samsung because of this and find that in 6 months my Plex client is outdated.

25. odb August 7th, 2012 10:13 pm

i’ve been running the client for several months and love it. if we already are running. Do we need to do the official Samsung install? I mean is it updated w any features… or just keep using what I have? thx

26. Gijs August 8th, 2012 3:46 am

Nice, just ordered a Samsung!! Does the client play FLAC files as well? It’s not natively supported by most Samsung (or any SmartTV) as far as I know…

27. Gijs August 8th, 2012 3:47 am

Oh sorry, seems to be video only…?

28. Chris August 9th, 2012 2:11 pm

Great news…! Just installed and watched our first movie on our (older, and worked perfectly) Samsung LED. Thanks to the people who developed this app.

29. Ross August 9th, 2012 9:11 pm

+1 to shortcut button. Currently I believe you’d have to turn TV on, go to smart hub, then load app. This is more likely a Samsung request.

+1 to 2012 range. I just got mine yesterday and I want to use this app now.

30. Magnus August 10th, 2012 3:02 am

Thanks a mil for the great app. I have been waiting for plex for my Samsung for quite a while.

I would love to know If there is any plans to develop the shared content feature, so I could stream movies from other PMS servers on my Samsung C8005 TV in the near future?

31. ElCapitano August 10th, 2012 3:09 am

Panasonic any time soon?

32. Ol August 10th, 2012 6:48 am

Does not work on my Samsung UE46ES8000 :/
    Toooo bad :(

33. Vince August 10th, 2012 6:33 pm

Great job on the application!

But what I’m missing in it, and missing in everything about Plex, no subtitles during transcoding. I really hope one day this basic feature “subtitles” is supported to transcoding as well. I mean, every single DVD/BR and other media supports subtitles, except the transcoding.

Please add subtitles..

34. rayfin August 11th, 2012 1:27 pm

I have a UN55ES6500. Is Plex going to be coming to that Sammy Tv as well?

35. Lynge August 14th, 2012 1:24 am

Hi Plex!

[quote]…and 2012 models will be supported before too long.[/quote].

Sounds really great – I am just about to buy the BD8500NXE BluRay/HDD and wonder if you can give a little more detailed hint about the time frame for supporting 2012 equipment?

TIA
    /Lynge

36. Lynge August 14th, 2012 1:31 am

Forget the above message – found the answer in the forums. Sorry ;-)

37. Grassrootz August 14th, 2012 2:01 pm

I’m ready to pull the trigger on a new Blu-Ray player. Can anyone tell me what currently is the best supported Blu-ray player for Plex?

38. Thaan August 16th, 2012 10:05 am

I have a Samsung BD-C8200 (C8500 is the same, just a larger HDD) and can confirm the Plex app working on it. I just don’t have any sound, with any movie..

39. snowtires August 16th, 2012 4:04 pm

Vieras anytime soon?

40. Mike P August 17th, 2012 7:09 am

I have a 2012 model Samsung TV and Home Theater with SmartHub. I’ve set up the Media Server on my Mac and I can access it with my iPad and iPhone – LOOKS GREAT! I can’t wait to get the Samsung App on my 2012 Home Theater (HT-E5500) system. Keep up the great work!

41. Dan G August 18th, 2012 9:40 am

I love my Samsung even more now. This is a great TV, and with PLEX on it (and Netflix) it is a fantastic TV. Thanks to the Koreans!

42. pufnstuf August 18th, 2012 4:34 pm

Another vote for Panasonic VT30 Viera’s please… :)

Thank you!

43. Denys06 August 18th, 2012 11:21 pm

Hello, thank you all for PLEX app ;)

We need 2012 TV supporting and playing dvd ISO in next version. It’s possible ? Thank you ;)

44. Dan Craven August 21st, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks very much – works a treat! Can now return that POS WDTV live ha ha

45. lulu0035 August 21st, 2012 10:24 pm

HI, thanks for this job, but is it available for the french TV? I have a D7000 and i can’t find plex on the Samsung store of my TV?
    Thanks

46. Thomas August 22nd, 2012 7:51 am

Plex for 2012 made tv’s would be very nice. Struggling with the Samsung allshare that is not working out. When can we expect plex for 2012 made tv’s?

47. TheDBP August 23rd, 2012 10:48 am

Bought a Samsung blu-ray player just for this app. App is nice, but the player itself was lackluster. Slow interface, had to delete built-in apps to make room for Plex. Was disappointed that it can’t do Shared content or Channels. Maybe in a little while when the players have faster CPUs to drive a better UI and the Plex app adds the missing features. I wound up returning the player, but good job on the app so far, keep it up!

48. marcus August 25th, 2012 3:42 am

support the ES6200 please! :p

49. K August 26th, 2012 9:18 pm

Hmm doesn’t seem like my UE40C7705 will have it available.
    Samsung is not updating old smart-tv to the new smart hub – I am a sad panda.

50. K August 26th, 2012 9:22 pm

wait a sec – “2010 TV devices with the Internet@TV feature”. I may be in luck!
    :D

51. Naids August 26th, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes – as marcus aurelius just mentioned :)

52. Slider August 27th, 2012 12:01 am

Could you please announce me when the version for 2012 (SAMSUNG UE55D7000 )will be available ? Thanks!

53. jimmy August 28th, 2012 1:27 am

Hi!

Please give us a date when the plex clinet for the 2012 models will be relased :)
    i got a d6500 in my beadroom but now a new es7090 in my livingroom and im missing that app like crazy on my new tv.
    all the dlna apps like mezzmo and suff really suck!

54. D August 28th, 2012 6:31 am

I just bought a Samsung bluray solely to get the Plex app – but I was disappointed to find that Plex isn’t available on the 2012 Samsung blurays yet. Glad to hear that a 2012 version is hopefully on the way soon.

Now waiting anxiously for the 2012 release. Thanks for your work, guys!

55. bj September 7th, 2012 12:33 pm

Any date yet on the 2012? You guys are awesome and i want to be able to watch my movies!! :)

56. Alain September 9th, 2012 5:51 am

Waiting the new release for ES5500 tv.

Many thanks to all the developers

57. Martin September 9th, 2012 1:12 pm

I got a UE46C7000WKXXU last year, and had many failures trying to utilise DLNA features. Also tried DLNA using a wireless BlueRay player (not Samsung brand) but that failed even harder than the inbuilt one.

Discovered Plex server, and by chance found there was a Plex app available on the TV. I’m really impressed, it is easy to setup (using a Virtual Machine, and sharing a folder on storage server) and plays the content I want and there is no stuttering even with high res content.

Occasionally, it dies and restarts the TV when opening the libraries (could be user error), but largely it works a treat. Not complaining, as it’s great to having something that actually does what I want it to.

58. Alfred September 11th, 2012 11:04 am

Please add support for the 2012 models soon – eagerly waiting!

59. Daniel September 12th, 2012 8:46 am

I’ve been using the the app both during the development phase, and since it was announced on the Samsung store.
    It’s running against my QNap NAS and works like a charm.
    Really nice looking and easy to use. My kids (4 and 6 years old) use it as well, without issues, which is a good grade in it’s self.

I was also happy to see that subtitles is now supported, which was not the case in the earlier versions.

The only two issues I have at the moment was that 3D movies did not seem to work (at least not all, have only tested a few).
    Also, the subtitles does not seem to support characters like Å Ä Ö, and similar (I’m from Sweden).

But all in all a super application. Great work and thanks a lot.

60. Arphex September 13th, 2012 9:52 am

Hi i have a
    Es8090 an it is Not working.

It does Not Appear in the Hub :-((

What do you think when will it come?

Could be appreaciated thanks

61. Guillermo September 14th, 2012 1:48 am

Excellent application is what I was looking for!

62. needz September 23rd, 2012 12:56 pm

Could you please bring the same app that doesn’t require plex server running for LG Smart TVs too (it really sucks you have to run it on the computer to watch youtube and other content)?

63. needz September 23rd, 2012 1:01 pm

…or at least bring the MyPlex functionality to LG Smart TV, so the remote server files and services can be accessed.

64. Panasonic fan September 30th, 2012 11:40 am

PLEX is AMAZING!! Please bring this to Panasonic Viera platform. ;)))

65. elan September 30th, 2012 9:55 pm

@Panasonic: seeing as I’m ordering a new Panasonic TV, you might say I had some vested interest in that now :)

66. adrian October 14th, 2012 12:39 pm

Plex is superb. Recently got a samsung bde8500 so eagerly awaiting the app. Was going for an LG BD but figured the app once there would bet better updates than embedded firmware

67. Tobias October 24th, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi i am a big fan of plex and would loved to see it on my samsung es 6750. Can you roughly tell me when it is available fore the 2012 es serie ?

68. elan October 26th, 2012 7:06 pm

@Tobias: As soon as they approve it.

69. BozoTKC October 27th, 2012 4:44 pm

When, oh when will Plex for Samsung TV have the same functionality as Plex for Windows? Right now it just looks like something you slapped together so you could say you have it.

70. Drakiz October 28th, 2012 3:56 am

Really a brillant piece of work, only thing missing for my point of view, is support for the Danish Netflix ;) but so you can make up for the issues that Samsung can’t fix, Netflix usage on my bd-c8500, ;) as far I’ve been able to read up its a small adjustment in the API?;)

71. Casey October 30th, 2012 6:13 pm

Not seeing this in the Samsung store. What gives?

72. Breht November 3rd, 2012 6:03 pm

Same here. No plex in Samsung apps.

73. Ria November 10th, 2012 6:24 am

The speed and quality of pictures is impressive.
    Unfortunately the app does not support photos nor does it play 3d movies.

Ria

74. Davesweet November 12th, 2012 8:53 am

When will 2012 ES6200 be supported ?

75. Hedegaard November 22nd, 2012 7:12 am

Is the only thing stopping us for getting the new PLEX app on our 2012 Samsung equitment, the approved from Samsung?
    In that case, i would recommended that we all write an e-mail to Samsung to approved the app fast. :-)

76. Ade November 23rd, 2012 12:34 am

Planning to buy a Samsung ES8000 but only if Plex is available for it. Any news on a release date?

77. Dane22 November 28th, 2012 3:27 pm

New version has been released, with support for 2012 devices, and it ROCKS

So time to visit the Samsung App Store from your Samsung Device :-)

78. Dave November 28th, 2012 4:08 pm

I just downloaded it as I wanted to see the difference between this version and the one on the roku I have. I added it and connected to the media server without issue. Everything seems great aside from one item- it doesn’t seem to show or list out all of my video files within categories. I have all of my files in mp4 format. They all show perfectly in the roku but only about 1 quarter are populating in the samsung app. For example, I have about 100 documentary videos. All 100 show up in the roku version, but only about 25-30 show in the samsung version.

I have the samsung C series and had the app auto populate into the storefront – not sure if I need to be using the other version or not or even how to tell which version I have…… Any insight on this small issue would be appreciated. I’ve continued using the roku and until I can get this figured out probably will. Thx

79. George November 28th, 2012 8:45 pm

panasonic Viera platform????
    please!!!!!!!!!

80. Orca November 29th, 2012 7:59 am

@Dave: The app will automatically update so you always have the latest version. The current version number can be found in the Preferences > About tab. Note that on the Home screen the items are limited to the first 20. Select a category on the left and hit enter to get deeper into the library. You will find what you are looking for there. If you have any issues, post your troubles at the Samsung forum.

81. Carl December 1st, 2012 9:18 am

The app for my Samsung smart blu ray player has been crashing lately. My friend has a samsung smart tv and he is reporting the same behavior as well. This app has been working flawlessly for me since I brought the blu ray player around Christmas time last year and a year later I can even watch a movie. Nothing was changed besides my blu ray asked to be updated and after the update everything went south.

82. Roger December 13th, 2012 11:34 pm

Love it – just got a Samsung UE40ES6300 and was connecting up a mac mini with plex running on it when I thought, hey, maybe there’s a plex client for the TV! And there was! And its great! Thanks to everyone involved!

83. Narry December 18th, 2012 10:31 pm

Plex does not appear to be available on UK tv models..

Any one else experiencing this?

Or now how i can download this?

84. James December 25th, 2012 4:00 pm

My mom has a Samsung BD player that she just installed the Plex app on. She told me she logged into her myPlex account but could not find my server, which I have shared out to her. Im deployed so over the phone tech support from me for her is hard at the moment and I’m not familliar enough with the Plex app on her device to visualize what she is seeing and doing (I primarily use the Plex on Android because I use WMC at home through my xbox360s as extenders). Can the Samsung version of the App access shared servers or does it have to be used with a local server?

85. Micha January 6th, 2013 10:15 am

Nice please go in, I discovered that nice tool for my Samsung C650 :) And love it…

86. Did75 January 11th, 2013 1:10 am

Hi, does the app exist in France?
    I am about to get a samsung HT-E5500 home cinema with Blu Ray, hooked to a Toshiba 40RL933.
    Will I be able to get Plex on the Blu Ray? Can quality be better than if using DLNA?
    Thank you for your work !!!

87. Geffie January 11th, 2013 1:50 am

Hello, I was wondering if I could mirror my iMac screen on my Tv (Toshiba) via the HT-E5500 and how to do this? Thanks very much

88. crj100 January 15th, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi
    Works great with my PlexServer running on MB Pro.
    However: I have access to my friends PlexServer, which runs great on iPad/iPhone, but this external shared server does NOT show on Samsung??? Anything I need to set up?

89. Xavior January 25th, 2013 4:36 pm

I have plex on my new samsung and on my mac. They are both on the same network. The plex app on the Samsung cannot find the server. Is there a setup piece I am missing?

90. natax January 28th, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi there,

Plex for Samsung is Great!
    However my ue40d6100W starts lagging after a short period of playback, even with low bitrated xvid videos… !
    If I use playback directly from a dlna source (plex, samsung allshare), then playback is lag-less.

Thanks in advance…

91. John-Rock February 15th, 2013 6:47 am

I would love to see this available on Panasonic ST30

92. Yabood February 16th, 2013 3:10 pm

Just installed Plex on my Samsung. I gotta say, my TV experience is a 100 times better now. I have a Plex server with all of my media, and now have Plex on my TV. Everything just works, no bullshit. Awesome work guys, awesome work!

93. Tyler February 18th, 2013 10:08 am

Why is the interface resolution so low? It looks terrible when compared to my computer connected with hdmi, did you design it at 720p or is there a way to adjust it? Is there plans to add music, photos, and channels support?

very easy set up and streams look good, good work overall I just don’t get why the front end looks like it is not the native 1080p resolution of the tv and I hope to see music and photo functionality added.

94. aineias March 1st, 2013 10:11 pm

Just installed Plex on my Samsung. Very nice app. I would like a support for idx/sub subtitles and .iso bluray movies. If this happen the app will be awesome !

95. Steve April 7th, 2013 5:50 am

I would like to chime in and add that the channels would be a nice feature to have. I can see how the channels would compete against Samsung’s own App Store. However, content like Sub Pop Records, Pitchfork, Team Coco, etc. aren’t even in the Samsung app store. It would just be nice to have the music and channels a part of the Samsung app.

96. brian April 8th, 2013 5:11 am

installed plex on on latest Samsung UE46F8000

when app is run, error message “cannot find plex server”?

yet it is running fine on my Netgear Readynas NAS ?

i can access plex from any other device on my network ?

bugfix please

97. brian April 8th, 2013 5:33 am

[UPDATE]

seemed to work if i manually add the plex server ip address. it just doesnt work on auto scan ?

98. paul April 12th, 2013 3:08 am

new to plex but have added films & tv shows and all connects great. Have added plex app to my samsung blueray player and can see & play movies but tv shows only show recently added! they show up fine on my pc. Any setting(s) I’m missing?

99. Maurizio April 15th, 2013 12:17 am

Ciao ragazzi, qualcuno sa dirmi se l’app plex è compatibile con le tv Samsung es8000?

100. Bonez April 17th, 2013 6:32 am

I love this app on my samsung blue ray. This thing is amazing. I am having a similar issue as Paul above where I can see all my movies but cannot see all the TV shows and they are not listed by season. I also cannot see my channels that I added even though they all show on my PC perfectly.

Once again thanks for making this app it kicks ass.

101. Lonnie April 17th, 2013 11:00 am

I have a Samsung TV LN40C850L1F I have the Plex app on my TV and my plex/web server running, the app finds both my servers but cant connect.

Any one know what the problem is?

102. John April 20th, 2013 4:35 pm

Simply the best smart feature on my entire setup. Here in NZ we dont get much online content, so I pretty much rely on my 2TB PLEX collection, but have been running it through an old Mac Mini on my study TV.
    Just updated the media centre in the lounge with a Panasonic 50″ plasma with Viera Smart TV – and a Samsung BD-E8500.
    All of the other installable apps on these were just garbage, then I realised I could put PLEX on the BD8500 Samsun SmartHub. Instant success. Only issue is you don’t get the plugins that you do on the other mobile (at least on iOS and full front end, I haven’t seen the Android version), and Music says it is not working yet, but everything else is just stellar.
    Now just replace the three remotes for TV, BD and Reciever with a Logitec universal remote and setup the Watch TV activity to power everything on and provide one button to get to smart hub. Now even my 6year old daughter can turn it all on without help!

103. Frank May 23rd, 2013 6:39 pm

Any chance the next update to the Samsung tv/blu-ray app, to allow login to account like the mobile apps. To see our movies from any tv/blu-ray? Thanks

104. Addies June 29th, 2013 11:36 pm

My TV Samsung UA32F4500 could not control DVD MENU & select audio&subtitle

How used function in remote control key ? Thanks

105. Peter July 6th, 2013 6:55 pm

Any update with being able to see the shared libraries on the plex app. I have a blue ray player with the app.

106. Lars August 8th, 2013 10:07 am

I just bought a new UE55F8005ST (2013-model) yesterday. Can’t see the Plex app in the Samsung app store. Any news on when/if it will be available?

107. Robin Allemann August 22nd, 2013 8:31 am

I have Plex on my Mac and on my Roku in the family room. It, and all the channels on it, work just great! However, I just downloaded the Plex app for my Samsung Blu-Ray D6500 player. When I first opened the app yesterday, it showed all my movies, channels, etc. However, when I tried to play an episode on my Amazon Prime channel (running through Plex), it showed everything in my watch list and library, but would not play any of it. Just gave me error messages about something being ‘invalid’. Then, this morning I tried to open the Plex app on my Samsung blu-ray and TV and although it showed my Plex name on the lower left corner, it showed absolutely none of my content–nothing in my Plex library, none of my channels, none of it. Even though my Plex Media Server is on my Mac right across the room. I think I will just end up buying another Roku. Plex for Samsung sure looks beautiful, but it is not ready for prime time.

108. Jake Fantom September 8th, 2013 2:24 am

I have both an LG and a couple of Samsung TVs. Plex on LG has major problems. For instance, it won’t play most MKV files for some unknown reason. Plex on Samsung is similarly problematic (blacks appear washed out on one of my sets — only when playing files through Plex). Each update seems to bring a new set of problems. I reverted to a HTPC for most of my viewing. Plex works fine played through the HTPC — looks great and works great. If you are hoping for a TV-only solution, get ready for some disappointments and hassles.

109. Claudio September 14th, 2013 4:39 am

I installed Plex for Samsung on my Samsung LE46C750. But it don’t work. I have an account, i am signed in but nothing works. I can’t se my shared content.

110. Rob September 14th, 2013 11:49 pm

I use pled since a few weeks on my 2013 model samsung tv and it works GREAT !!!! I just donated too so you guys can keep up the good work!!

111. Booourns October 15th, 2013 11:44 pm

Unfortunately I was extremely disappointed with this Samsung app. It is probably just my player. It is a HT-D5550W. This particular one here: http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-theatre/archive/HT-D5550W/XY. Plex is unfortunately almost completely unusable. The interface is slow and laggy. I love the look, just performance is really poor. Probably the players fault but disappointed still :)

112. Tim October 21st, 2013 4:58 am

Hello, is this app supported on Canadian Samsung TVs? I am looking at puchasing the UN55F8000AFXZC but in the Plex compatibility list on the Samsung site shows the UN55F8000BF…

Can someone confirm compatbility for the Canadian UN55F8000AFXZC… Thanks!

113. deepreel November 23rd, 2013 8:50 am

@Bouurnes..

I agree I have an older D5500 (I think BR player) the Laika app was nearly perfect…all these Samsung versions barely work….worst part is recent update blew away my Laika client so now I’m stuck….shame…

114. Rick December 7th, 2013 11:15 am

Just purchased a Samsung 6350 smart TV. I’ve been using PLEX for about 5 months now using a Mac Mini as my server. I download the Samsung PLEX app and it works great. I can now use the TV’s remote to control the playback where as before I used my iPad or wireless Apple keyboard. Keep up the great work!!

115. Paul A December 27th, 2013 2:49 pm

I have been desperate to get a new Samsung smart TV so I could finally use Plex properly on my TV – used to stream plex server over DNLA to my PS3, or use Plex app on my Mac). Finally bit the bullet and picked up my UE55F7000 TV last week – after setting it up first thing I did was install and configure Plex. Works awesomely well on the Sammy Smart TV – my only slight disappointment is that the screen seems to be getting scaled to for the 1080×1920 display, so doesn’t look very sharp on this TV when displaying menus etc in Plex. I had hoped it would look really polished as it is written for the Samsung Smart TVs which are all 1920×1080. Are there any plans to improve this for full HD scaling?

116. elan December 28th, 2013 10:28 am

@Paul ~ you’d have to ask the Plex for Samsung guys, but as far as I understand it, the UI is not full 1080p for (at least) performance reasons.

117. MaxPow3r January 2nd, 2014 11:28 pm

my dad is using the plex client for Samsung TV’s and he loves it very much. I’m administrating the server from remote and he has all the informations about shows and films and a really good looking GUI.

Only one request remains.

Is it possible to make this app multilinguale? He’s german and doesn’t speak english. So he has problems to use functions like “recently added” because he does not understand it.

If you need help i would gladly support you. (I’m software engineer)

And again really good work from your team.

Thanks & Greets
    Max

118. elan January 3rd, 2014 1:25 pm

@MaxPow3r ~ Thanks for the suggestion, we plan to improve internationalization across all our apps.

119. Jeff G January 7th, 2014 1:26 am

Hi, I just bought a samaung tv in china,it os ps60e8000. but seems like samsung china app store does not offer plex. Does anyone know how get this app from china? Thanks alot!

120. Korben January 10th, 2014 8:12 am

@Joel Please, please, please, tell me how does one _invest_ into a TV. I bought many TVs in my lifetime and I have friends who did the same. But when I showed them your post asking them to help me understand it, they were rather useless. One even offered a rather unflattering opinion about people who use the word “invest” to refer to TV purchases. (She’s not a polite person).

So, could you please help me with an explanation. What thought process is involved here? How does one come up with an idea to call a TV purchase an “investment”?

121. Alfredo January 11th, 2014 8:38 am

Great app, love it, but I only have 1.006, not the latest 1.009, how can I upgrade it ?

122. Harry Ball-Weber January 22nd, 2014 11:01 pm

I have Plex installed on my Samsung 3D Smart-tv, and while it works most of the time I get regular interruptions where the movie just stops and I get an error message, after which I’m back on the main screen. I then re-start the movie (it always remembers where I was) and keep watching. Very annoying…has anyone had this problem…? Any help appreciated, thank you.

123. Thunderoid February 2nd, 2014 8:56 pm

I’ve been using Plex on my Samsung 2011-model for some time now. For some reason some files will not play using the plex interface (just blank screen and return to plex media selection window), but those same files will play fine using DLNA (Using source button to select the Plex source). It seems to be specific codecs that behave this way, are different players with different codec support used within plex and with the samsung DLNA?

Will the plex for android support more codecs? (So that getting an android stick can fix this issue?)

Cheers!

124. elan February 5th, 2014 11:27 am

@Thunderoid ~ quite likely DLNA supports different codecs than the Samsung app.

125. Thunderoid February 8th, 2014 6:03 am

Thanks Elan, that’s sort of what I’ve figured as well. Haven’t found an overview of which codecs the samsung app supports, but think the solution in either case is to get an android stick instead anyways ;)

126. Twidel February 14th, 2014 9:16 pm

Loving the app.
    Is there a setting to lock 4:3 to 16:9 all the time. Now I have to “crop black bars from video”

Thanks