Plex Media Server v0.9.6.6 / Plex v0.9.5.4 / Plex for iOS v2.5 - Plex Blog

Plex Media Server v0.9.6.6 / Plex v0.9.5.4 / Plex for iOS v2.5

, | 31 Jul 2012 | by 74 Comments

It’s been a busy few weeks here at Plex! We have a couple releases for you, but first let me start with some general updates (and seriously, what is it with my addiction to bulleted lists?):

• If you’ve experienced an issue with TV scans missing posters or other artwork, somewhat randomly, this has been fixed; we’ve been experiencing increasingly heavy traffic with all the new users, so we had to bulk up our infrastructure!
  • Movie matching should be more accurate and much faster; we now have a fully automated system which improves the agent matching over time based on the anonymous data sent back. Pretty cool, right?
  • We’ve pushed quite a few updates to the agents to fix non-ASCII poster/subtitle filename issues on Linux, metadata for personal show scanning, and a number of other issues.
  • We released a new version of Plex for Android, with fixes and a few new features. The update for Google TV is coming shortly!
We’re in the process of pushing a new release of Plex for iOS today to Apple, should be available in a week or so. Fixes and goodies abound, and to be nice, here’s a full list of changes you have to look forward to:
  • NEW: Home screen sections can be re-ordered or hidden. Yay!
  • NEW: Background art while browsing. Pretty!
  • NEW: Easier to read list view when browsing by folder. Useful!
  • FIX: High bitrate content will correctly transcode instead of attempting Direct Play (thanks, majortom!)
  • FIX: Media deletion & progress reporting works when using myPlex without publishing servers.
  • FIX: Network addresses are resolved earlier to make playing media on remote clients more reliable.
  • FIX: Easier method for adding friends.
  • FIX: Crash when attempting to set a user rating for an item with no community rating.
  • FIX: Crash marking a show (un)watched.
  • FIX: A few layout & graphical issues.

We also have a new Plex Media Server release for you, with a number of improvements, which can be downloaded from the usual place (and shortly from auto-update):

• NEW: Added (advanced) preference for specifying location of Aperture/iPhone XML paths. The preference is ApertureLibraryXmlPath for Aperture and iPhotoLibraryXmlPath for iPhoto. Yes, we’re going to have an easy way to get at these advanced preferences soon.
  • NEW: (Linux) Allow syslog logging via environment variable PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USE_SYSLOG. This has been requested for ages.
  • NEW: (API) Massive performance improvement for players that ask for paged data (e.g. for Roku). If you have large library sections, you’ll notice a big change; with 1000 items, the page requests are 6 times faster.
  • NEW: (API) Added /library/sections/X/{sorts|filters} endpoints for advanced filtering.
  • FIX: Sidecar (e.g. SRT) subtitle files work again. Sorry, that was a bad regression.
  • FIX: (Windows) Upload speeds from the server were artificially slow in some cases. We’d gotten sporadic reports over the months that upload speeds seemed limited, and we finally managed to track down the issue. The upload speed will now max out your connection, and will take much less CPU as well.
  • FIX: A crash when scanning for plug-ins when permissions are wrong.
  • FIX: (Mac) Fix some Aperture photos not displaying properly.
  • FIX: Library timeline could generate blank items occasionally.
  • FIX: Web interface didn’t show added and deleted items properly when scanning.
  • FIX: Don’t pass back bogus blank content ratings.
  • FIX: (Linux) DLNA icon and server name were missing on some platforms.
  • FIX: When overwriting plug-ins, files that don’t exist anymore are deleted.
  • FIX: Handle 302 as well as 301 redirects in the image transcoder.
  • FIX: When scanning files that had already been scanned, they didn’t end up with thumbnails.
  • FIX: Certain image formats (TIFF, BMP, PCX) didn’t get thumb nailed.
  • FIX: Fixed sleep prevention, OS X (and possibly Linux) should sleep now.
  • FIX: (Windows) Fixed a crash on start.
  • FIX: (Synology) DLNA to PS3 wasn’t working.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Memory leak in DLNA server process.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Fixed PS3 audio dropouts by transcoding to stereo for now in the profile.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Fixed evaluation of limitations.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Fixed AAC audio not playing to PS3.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Build-in profile now supports Samsung SmartTVs (thanks, holzi!)
We also have some fixes in a new release of the Plex Laika desktop client:
  • FIX: Update RTMP to 2.4
  • FIX: Fix for connectivity issues when PMS isn’t running locally (thanks to elwertk).
  • FIX: Playback of interlaced H.264 content (MBAFF) was broken (thanks to elwertk).
  • FIX: Use the same user agent as earlier in Plex/Nine.
  • FIX: Add the Plex language and version headers.
  • FIX: When forced transcode was enabled, playback could fail for local files.
  • FIX: Support for chained indirects in channels.

And last, but certainly not least, Barkley sends his (slobbery) love!

IMG 2095

1. ElCapitano July 31st, 2012 3:34 pm

Awesome…
    Looking forward to checking it out. NOW…

2. JPer July 31st, 2012 3:36 pm

Wow!!! Nice work everyone!!

3. Chrispy July 31st, 2012 3:41 pm

Great work team!

Gotta love it when all I have to do is show the wife a picture of Barkley, and she responds with “New Release?”

4. TheRiver July 31st, 2012 4:01 pm

Full list of ios no list for Android

5. Raphael Essoo-Snowdon July 31st, 2012 4:06 pm

Does this update fix problems caused by the switch to Mountain Lion? I’ve lost a bunch of custom artwork for movies since I upgraded to ML.

6. elan July 31st, 2012 4:19 pm

@TheRiver: The full list for Android is in the link :)

@Raphael: No specific ML fixes, yours is the first I’ve heard of the issue, would like to discuss more in a thread somewhere? Probably unrelated.

7. AJ July 31st, 2012 4:29 pm

Advanced Filtering API!! Hooray!
    (Hint: To get what you want, send feature requests directly to Barkley wrapped in bacon)

8. Jefferson July 31st, 2012 4:33 pm

Why don’t you guys post your new updates for auto-update when you announce them?

9. Kris July 31st, 2012 4:58 pm

Mountain lion works great for me

10. jimmy3vil July 31st, 2012 5:44 pm

Brilliant, as always. Thank you from the bottom of my crossplatform-lovin’ heart.

PS How small are your increments going to get before you decide to just release a v1.0? ;)

11. elan July 31st, 2012 5:50 pm

@Jefferson: because we’re über-paranoid, and like the extra confirmation that we didn’t mess anything up for 24 hours or so before unleashing upon the unsuspecting masses :)

12. MTI July 31st, 2012 6:10 pm

Great news! :D

Thank you very much for the Aperture/iPhoto stuff! Highly appreciated!

Two questions:

Does the new iOS app include the teased ability to transport AC3 streams via AirPlay?

Will it be possible at some point to share the Aperture/iPhoto channels with friends via myPlex? That would be a awesome way to share photos within families…

13. David R July 31st, 2012 6:30 pm

Wonderful! I didn’t notice it in the list, but has the SD file/ audio sync issue been addressed?

14. David R July 31st, 2012 6:39 pm

I just re-read the changelist. Is SD audio sync issue the MBAFF playback fix?

15. majortom July 31st, 2012 9:53 pm

Updated PMS still seems to read optimised M4v chapter tracks (text within the chapter title) as a subtitle track.

Can this be replicated by anyone else?

16. Geraldo July 31st, 2012 10:03 pm

Cool, will try it tonight!
    Thanks for all your tireless efforts.

17. Osplo July 31st, 2012 10:35 pm

Great work Elan and team!

Congratulations!

18. elan July 31st, 2012 11:57 pm

@majortom: please provide a sample (unless I missed one you provided in the forums) and we’d love to help!

19. Nick August 1st, 2012 12:12 am

Guys! I just started using PMS on Ubuntu and I’m more than pleased. It not only streams to my iPhone and iPad over 3g (easy!), but also to my 2011 Samsung model (even though it’s not on the supported list).
    Transcoding however, doesn’t output the desired quality video and subs (srt) are not displayed.
    Besides that, my concern is the web interface, which is slow. Very slow. I’m currently using v0.9.6.6.
    Keep up the good work!

20. xain09 August 1st, 2012 12:24 am

Downloading NOW. Thanx again :)

21. dawiinci August 1st, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks for your effort. This has to be a lot of work.

Do you have any plans when we finally get the features of XBMC Eden? At least please tell us something like in a week, this year or never…? Is there a beta available?

22. MegaFlow August 1st, 2012 12:54 am

yeah – a new doggy pic … my synology has been waiting for an update ;)

Great work!!!

23. claw August 1st, 2012 12:55 am

Still no working energy saver settings in Laika? And still no easy way to filter any view for watched/unwatched entries – (viewing all episodes of a season, it requires many many steps to view only unwatched episodes: 1) go back to show 2) go back to section 3) go back to view unwatched 4) find show again in list 5) go into show 6) go into season – WHY?)

24. majortom August 1st, 2012 1:06 am

Hi Elan,
    Could you let me know how to take a clip of an m4v

25. MichalM.Mac August 1st, 2012 2:12 am

Hello

Please consider subtitle encoding feature for iOS app.
    I am also willing to participate in Czech localization of Plex.app for OS X :-)

26. Marklight August 1st, 2012 3:35 am

Great work!

In upcoming releases of the iOS aop will the iTunes plugins be moved from channels to the my library section where I think they’d be more at home?

27. wertt August 1st, 2012 3:57 am

Please bring back background music!!!

28. morpheus133 August 1st, 2012 5:18 am

Hy,
    Will be audio track change implement for LG Medialink?
    Or there is some problem with my settings, and this is already available?
    thx

29. Raphael Essoo-Snowdon August 1st, 2012 5:45 am

@elan A few others are having the same problem with missing artwork. I started a thread here: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/44625-mountain-lion-issue-missing-artwork/

30. Mac-Don August 1st, 2012 6:27 am

I can confirm troubles with Mountain Lion. They were related to the beta build of the server, so I have returned to the regular release. Don’t know yet if fixed with these new builds.

The problem was lost custom art (such added manually by me) as Raphael said, and also consistent crashes when scanning media. Possibly related to non-English (Swedish) characters in folder names. Had to change those in order to add back art.

31. Michel August 1st, 2012 6:33 am

Thanks for the update :) Great work! Can’t wait for the new client on iOS. Btw, still have issue Stopping PMS on ReadyNas, have to restart the box each time. But other than that looks pretty stable, and quite faster.
    Thanks again :)

From a movie addict :)

32. Eóin August 1st, 2012 7:05 am

To everyone on the Plex team:

Thank you all for your efforts. You have created (and continue to improve upon) my favorite media application. I would happily pay a handsome price for Plex, but you offer it for free… Thank you.

To users:

Donate! Whatever you can afford. A ton of work goes into this program, let’s not be cheap! These people deserve it! :)

33. Laurent August 1st, 2012 7:09 am

Always no subtitles support for PS3 with the Media Server… When will it come ? (PS3 Media Server do it well).
    Great job after all, keep on ;)

34. majortom August 1st, 2012 7:11 am

Dont think the TheMovieDB & MoviePosterDB agents are working – seem to pick up limited information and poor quality posters.

35. skube August 1st, 2012 1:21 pm

The performance displaying the background art seems to poorer now on OS X. It doesn’t seem as smooth as before and doesn’t even appear all the time.

36. elan August 1st, 2012 1:32 pm

@skube: nothing in that code changed.

37. dead August 1st, 2012 4:14 pm

Awesome work guys! We love plex at my house and use it everyday in the office, living room, and bed room for our media viewing pleasures. However, I can’t update my household plex clients to laika until background music is reimplemented/fixed. we’re stuck at the 0.9.3.4 client for now because we use the bg music all the time for default ambient music around the house. looking forward to being able to use all the new laika features once bg music finally returns! =D

38. Dave August 1st, 2012 8:15 pm

@claw: I agree re filtering and several other client issues. It sure would be awesome if the client saw some love.

39. tweedledee August 2nd, 2012 12:13 am

@plex-team – thank you so much for making my digital life so much better!

40. Marty August 2nd, 2012 1:56 am

How exactly do we re-order media sections? Can’t seem to find an option for it.

41. claw August 2nd, 2012 5:43 am

I just remembered… it’s time the clock came back to the pause screen…

Right after I donated Laika came along, and it seems for all the fancy cloud and web2.0 stuff the basics just kept getting worse…

I’m waiting with donating again until Laika is on par featurewise with Plex/Nine (besides OnDeck there’s nothing in the player that even partially makes up for all the nice cut features – filtering, sorting, …)

42. silas August 2nd, 2012 7:46 am

Does this 9.5.4 update fix the volume control issues in Laika? Pretty Please??

43. Johnito August 2nd, 2012 9:25 am

You rocks barkley ! You’re one of the niftiest dogs i’ve ever seen. Plus, you remind me of Plex which is the niftiest app on my NAS. If by any chance your owner travels to france and needs a day care for you, just bark !

44. Tony August 2nd, 2012 10:48 am

No SUBTITLES (srt) support for PS3 ?? It’s the most important missing feature…

45. piehammer August 2nd, 2012 11:04 am

Any hope for Picture subfolder support on Linux? Running 0.9.6.6 on a ReadyNAS and have way too many photos to have them all show up in one big group.

46. Al August 2nd, 2012 12:23 pm

thanks for the great work.
    I installed the new PMS but it seems my photo section is broken. When installing PMS 0.9.6.5 again its OK again. Installed the new version again -> broken again. Old version – OK.

I also posted in the forums: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/44915-photo-section-broken-in-pms-0966/

Does it need the new iOS client to work correctly?

47. carditz August 2nd, 2012 12:25 pm

@Elan & @majortom

Yeah, I’m having issues pulling sufficient metadata from MoviePosterDB and TheMovieDB.

48. Luca August 2nd, 2012 8:03 pm

I second Silas’ request about (system) volume control in Laika. Please!

49. RadioActive August 3rd, 2012 3:10 pm

What happen to Background Music?

50. Bummer August 3rd, 2012 8:37 pm

Another version and no fix for reversed file order in standard video browser… That’s just sad…

51. Steve August 4th, 2012 2:20 am

Still no fix for the broken system volume link?

I haz a sad

52. Tharbat August 4th, 2012 7:13 am

It’s not working in mountain lion. The server shows “starting” forever…
    Something must be broken.

53. Shpend August 4th, 2012 3:03 pm

No the SD/AVI audio sync is not yet fixed. pleeease please do something about it so a bunch of us can finally move to full plex experience :).

thanks for all the great work!

54. Peter August 5th, 2012 6:04 am

Every version of PMS above 0.9.6.2 was crashing my Ceton infiniTV card and Win Media Center. Does this version fix that? I’ve been running 0.9.6.1.

55. Attila August 5th, 2012 11:47 am

My PMS automatically asked to be updated the other day. I now have “Version 0.9.6.7.204-266f05d” At the “usual place” (http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Downloads) only PMS versions up to 0.9.6.6 are listed.

56. Dave August 5th, 2012 11:18 pm

Subtitles do not work with PS3… Update please

57. Patrik August 7th, 2012 2:27 am

When can we expect the app to be released for samsung e-series?

Thanks in advance!

58. ByteKnight August 7th, 2012 1:31 pm

(Parts Stolen from Eóin – couldn’t say it better!)

To everyone on the Plex team:

Ceton Infinity4 Users: Preliminary review of 0.9.6.7 is that PMS and Ceton are NOW WORKING TOGETHER!!!

To users:

Donate! Whatever you can afford. A ton of work goes into this program, let’s not be cheap! These people deserve it! I would consider this version almost production – I will be donating (next payday) for it!!

59. John August 8th, 2012 6:45 am

Plex is the best thing to happen to digital media in quite some time. I have my Ipad, Samsung Note, as well as my wife’s iphone all connected. She recently connected to the home server while on vacation with her Mom over 7 hours away and it blew her family’s mind. Just an awesome application.

60. Rod August 8th, 2012 10:26 am

Media server will no longer work since moving to Mountain Lion. Is there any advance here?

61. Daniel August 8th, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Guys! Ever since my friend showed me Plex working on a mac I was astounded and loved it very much. I am wondering if you are working on, or are looking to in the future, an app for Sony? I have a Sony BDPS570 player and would absolutely love an app on here.

62. Udo August 9th, 2012 9:51 am

WOW. the new Plex iOS Client is fantastic. incredible good looking too. Thanks for that.

63. Brent August 9th, 2012 11:34 am

Server works great on my iMac running Mountain Lion. Only issue is that the drives unmount whenever I go to login window. It didn’t do this before ML.

I had an issue months (years) ago where Media Server wouldn’t work so I created a new user account and ran it there where it did work, so I guess some corruption had happened in a config file or something.

64. Rui Costa August 10th, 2012 1:24 am

I tried Plex Media Server for Linux – ReadyNAS Duo v2 (ARM based) – v0.9.6.7 with “Add add-on” option of my ReadyNAS Duo v2 Firmware RAIDiator 5.3.5 and got the “Architecture is bad.” error. Normally, this error occurs if the version of a bin file is not for Arm processor…

65. lothera August 10th, 2012 4:58 am

hello, the new version of Plex for IOS is just beautiful and even more for the series, thank you for great work.

66. ByteKnight August 10th, 2012 8:38 am

The New Version of PMS Windows 0.9.6.6 & 0.9.6.7 [color="#FF0000"][b]HAS NOT[/b][/color] resoved this issue with breaking the connection from the OS to the Ceton InfiniTV4 (4 Tuner) – With that understanding has [b]ANYONE[/b] found a way to work around the problem and use both the new version of PMS and Ceton InfiniTV4?

I want some of the new features of the new PMS but do not need (at this time) DLNA. What I would like to see is that a more robust settings page in PMS that lets me pick and choose what services and features that can be turned on or off.

67. ByteKnight August 10th, 2012 8:38 am

The New Version of PMS Windows 0.9.6.6 & 0.9.6.7 HAS NOT resoved this issue with breaking the connection from the OS to the Ceton InfiniTV4 (4 Tuner) – With that understanding has ANYONE found a way to work around the problem and use both the new version of PMS and Ceton InfiniTV4?

68. Deano August 13th, 2012 8:02 am

Still no service fix for Windows Server? Really? Did I miss something or is this request still being ignored?

69. DarkKnight August 13th, 2012 9:29 am

Subtitles for PS3 ???? Doesn’t work.

70. Meetloaf13 August 14th, 2012 5:43 pm

I love the fact that Plex for Samsung works on my Samsung BD player. The one downside is that it takes literally 20-30s to move from one movie to the next.

Any way to implement a text based list instead of the album art, or maybe something that moves more quickly.

It could be the linux box the media is on, but it seems like it’s the Samsung BD player having to load all the data for each movie.

71. Nichollywood August 18th, 2012 3:28 am

iOS app (iPad and iPhone) still contains the bug with subtitles !! External SRT doesn’t show up when playing many selected movies or Tv Shows. (no problem with Air Video, Video Stream…).

And always no SRT support for the PS3 (subtitles work with PS3 media server…).

Supporting subtitles is a primordial thing (except if english is your primary language…). PLEX has big problems with that.

Other stuff in PLEX is great. Thanks.

72. Nikos Lagos September 21st, 2012 1:42 pm

Please support different encodings for subtitles. I can’t use it with Greek subtitles in iOS.

73. rowdoo October 12th, 2012 5:40 pm

That is one pretty dawg!

74. Jose December 7th, 2012 1:39 am

MP4/M4V Soft Subtitles till not working, it works on 0.9.3.4 !