Plex Media Server v0.9.6.4 - Plex Blog

Plex Media Server v0.9.6.4

| 20 Jun 2012 | by 64 Comments

Well, it looks like we’re getting the hang of the “release often” maxim, and hopefully you’re enjoying the frequent updates. Mostly bug-fixes in this one, with a slant towards DLNA. This has been deemed a beta-level release, so download from the usual place, or set yourself up for the beta AppCast. Here are the changes:

• NEW: Added a new advanced preference option to allow remote networks access to PMS without myPlex. You can designate a list of IP/netmasks which are allowed in. We’ll have more information about how to configure this here shortly.
  • NEW: Add basic CORS support for web clients.
  • NEW: (DLNA) Profile option to override device fields.
  • NEW: (DLNA) DlnaDeviceDiscoveryInterval can now be set to 0 to disable device detection.
  • NEW: (DLNA) Sections shared from remote servers now includes the server name.
  • NEW: (DLNA) Support matching devices by other device properties than friendly name.
  • NEW: (DLNA) Ship DLNA profiles with PMS builds instead of Framework builds.
  • NEW: (DLNA) Emit icons using alternative resolutions.
And a bunch of most excellent fixes:
  • FIX: Skip publishing IP addresses from virtual interfaces.
  • FIX: Be faster about extracting thumbnails.
  • FIX: Fix the scanner hanging with 100% CPU scanning some evil AVIs.
  • FIX: (Win) Fix crash when playing some Flash/Silverlight video.
  • FIX: Notify HTTP clients that we close the connection.
  • FIX: Only write the amount requested with HTTP range requests.
  • FIX: Calculate bitrate for videos in a more accurate fashion.
  • FIX: Scanner is smarter about need to reanalyze media.
  • FIX: A few small memory leaks fixed in scanner.
  • FIX: Crashes scanning some IMG/ISO files.
  • FIX: Overeager timeout when waiting for transcoded content.
  • FIX: iTunes plug-in crashes with invalid input key.
  • FIX: (Linux) Crash related to VMware network interfaces.
  • FIX: (Linux) rsync fixes.
  • FIX: (Linux) DLNA crashes on certain systems with ancient compilers.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Non-local servers will display server name along with section titles.
  • FIX: (DLNA) PNs not being set for audio, fixes playback on PS3.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Folders now show up in the folders view.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Posters weren’t showing up on PS3.
  • FIX: (DLNA) DLNA server now cleans up correctly when shutting down.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Xbox now supports transcoded jpeg as icons and thumbnails.
  • FIX: (DLNA) Set seek flags for audio/video (regression).
  • FIX: (DLNA) Metadata for iTunes content now set properly.
We’ll leave you with a tender moment between Barkley and his stuffed monkey. Thanks as always to our wonderful community for the feedback, love, and suggestions!

IMG 1166

1. bushy June 20th, 2012 12:25 am

Looks great. I love how fast the Plex team are releasing new versions. And I very much appreciate being able to test out beta software.

Any thoughts on maybe offering password protected PMS. I get that you consider private networks as secure. But I am willing to bet a great deal of users might be running PMS on laptops. Anyway, Plex opening up my entire filesystem to the network I am on is the only drawback I can think of with Plex. Oh, and it would be nice to log into PMS remotely without having to go through myPlex.

2. audix June 20th, 2012 12:30 am

Good work guys! This is great news :)

Sweet picture of Barkley ;)

3. xain09 June 20th, 2012 12:34 am

Great again! Keep it up and keep ‘m coming. Any chance of a a “true” iPad client? So much more can be done with the screen :P

4. DRH June 20th, 2012 12:35 am

Not sure I’ll bother with this one, looks like most of the fixes are not relevant to me this time, thanks though!!

5. tobias June 20th, 2012 12:38 am

@bushy With the new option you can actually allow only 127.0.0.1 by setting allowedNetworks to a empty string. Then only localhost will be able to access without a myPlex auth token. We are pretty committed to myPlex as the only auth method though.

6. Trond Hindenes June 20th, 2012 1:03 am

Nice! I’m really loving Plex, but weakest part of it IMHO, is Music – more specific the way the scanners handle music. On top of my wishlist is a better implementation of the last.fm/local metadata scanners!

7. tobias June 20th, 2012 1:08 am

@Trond: hopefully we’ll have something for you soon :)

8. James June 20th, 2012 1:50 am

Be nice to see a new client

9. Superdeef June 20th, 2012 2:09 am

Still hoping for that subtitle support on DLNA clients (and WP7). It would make my xbox360 useful and it opens a whole new world when it comes to extra TV’s in the house :)

Great work guys!!

10. law086 June 20th, 2012 2:50 am

Whooohoooo, thanks guys!

11. bucketachicken June 20th, 2012 3:02 am

I’m on a Mac, and thought I had signed up for the beta appcast (which I swear has given me at least one other update) but this one shows up as no update is available, and I even redid the terminal command just to make sure, restarted PMS. I can of course manually update, but any idea why this would happen?

12. tobias June 20th, 2012 3:17 am

@bucketachicken elan blogs faster than I can update the appcasts :) It will be updated, soon, I hope.

13. Jeff June 20th, 2012 3:52 am

Seem to be getting the allow/deny popup, is this correctly signed?

14. tatcom June 20th, 2012 3:54 am

hi guys. haven’t checked the release yet, but I’d have one question regarding the previous iteration: every time I shut down and boot up my Synology on which the PMS is running on, I get a Share [Plex] was restored log entry. I don’t know if that’s good or bad, or a bug rather, but once I update tonight to the new version I’ll let you know if that’s persistent. Anyways if any insight on the problem is available, I’d be glad to read it? Cheers

15. matt June 20th, 2012 4:20 am

Quick question, I still get an insane jittery noise on some videos via HDMI on my mac mini. Is this my hardware’s fault or are you guys playing a cruel joke on me?

16. rabdo June 20th, 2012 4:21 am

Posters still not showing on PS3 after update to 0.9.6.4

17. bucketachicken June 20th, 2012 4:23 am

Hah, ok, good to know :p Thanks for the reply!

18. Bitwize June 20th, 2012 4:27 am

Just upgraded to 0.9.6.4 on Windows and still experience 100% CPU usage when running the media scanner. Seems consistent any time I add new files to my Movie section. All the files are MKVs created with MakeMKV. Frustrations aside, I do appreciate the frequent updates to PMS and look forward to needed client/plex player updates!

19. gondovald June 20th, 2012 4:40 am

THANK YOUUUUU !!!

20. gondovald June 20th, 2012 4:41 am

Could you also update my wife ?

21. Skaterboy June 20th, 2012 10:07 am

Just wondering if this addressed the sleep issue that has been present on OS X (i.e. the PMS not allowing the Mac to follow Energy Saver settings).

22. ian June 20th, 2012 10:31 am

Again with the no metadata for WTV files. The metadata is in the files and can be extracted via libavformat.

I has a sad.

23. Osplo June 20th, 2012 1:47 pm

Good work, thank you Elan and the Plex team.

24. ElCapitano June 20th, 2012 2:57 pm

Doesn’t show as “Beta”, the “Usul Place”

25. brett June 20th, 2012 8:09 pm

Installed 0.9.6.4. Streamed h264 movie with DTS audio to PlayStation 3. Suddenly the audio went to deafening digital noise. Tried it with a second DTS film, same problem. Looks like it’s back to RAM-eating PS3 Media Server for now…

26. ogreid June 20th, 2012 9:40 pm

Upgraded Plex to 0.9.6.4 on my Synology 411+II running 4.0-2228. And now I get the message ‘Failed to run package service’

27. RckStr June 20th, 2012 9:48 pm

yes, Yes, YES!!! Finally some security without myPlex! IP masking is a VERY welcome feature.

28. Michael June 20th, 2012 11:21 pm

Hello once again thank you for the update. Have installed on my QNAP and the LG TV still cannot find it. Please try and fix for the next version as I have been loving the QNAP and LG TV working together.

29. Eric June 21st, 2012 9:12 am

“NEW: Added a new advanced preference option to allow remote networks access to PMS without myPlex. You can designate a list of IP/netmasks which are allowed in. We’ll have more information about how to configure this here shortly.”

This must be the best update of all time since myPlex :)
    Now I can use Plex on some remote tv:s and apple tv:s that doesn´t support myPlex yet.

30. Court June 21st, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks for another great update! Since it isn’t mentioned I would assume there isn’t a fix for the OSX 10.7.4 HDMI bug or was that fixed with this update?

31. Jeff June 21st, 2012 10:11 am

Still no user profiles. More support for multiple devices, which is great, but until we have user profiles the entire watched/unwatched system is useless for those of us running systems for multiple people.

32. Tony R. June 21st, 2012 10:27 am

Still not available on the ‘check for updates’ option. Not seeing it in the AppCast XML either. Any idea when it’ll be up?

33. elan June 21st, 2012 10:41 am

@Tony: it’ll only show up if you’ve set up the beta appcast.

34. mike s June 21st, 2012 2:21 pm

i dont suppose we could get some parental content rating lock can we?

35. James June 21st, 2012 4:13 pm

@elan Doesn’t seem to be in the beta appcast: https://www.plexapp.com/appcast/win-beta/en-US/pms.xml — unless it’s caching, I can only see 0.9.6.3 in there…

36. Tony R June 22nd, 2012 2:42 am

@elan I am, but as @james june notes, the AppCast isn’t showing it. i’m on Mac and not seeing it in the XML – https://www.plexapp.com/appcast/mac-beta/pms.xml

37. GAJ June 22nd, 2012 3:13 am

Doesn’t show up anymore in XBOX360 as a source to play from, but better handling through Boxee :-)

38. GAJ June 22nd, 2012 3:18 am

…forgot; 0.9.6.4 on QNAP

39. Andrew June 22nd, 2012 4:40 am

Crikey, some people are demanding of free software.

40. Patrick June 22nd, 2012 12:04 pm

Which version works best with xBox 360?

41. John June 22nd, 2012 10:19 pm

Still no wall stream uh? I’ll wait.

42. Göran June 23rd, 2012 4:58 am

0.9.6.3 didn’t work with my Sony equipment – this one does! Great work. I’ve found that I can’t create a “Music” sectionin Plex Media manager, it simply does not react to “Create Section” button. Movies, Hopme Movies, TV-series and Photos works just fine.

43. Göran June 23rd, 2012 5:04 am

Sorry, I found that I also had to add “Language” under the Advanced tab as well, now it works great!. I will remove the stupid ReadyDLNA from my ReaduNas NV+ V2 immediately.

44. ahmed June 23rd, 2012 1:13 pm

just wanted to say that smartglass has an sdk :D

45. lylesback2 June 26th, 2012 10:26 am

Good work guys :)

Thanks for the update.

46. Frank June 27th, 2012 5:13 am

Still the 100% CPU on mac 10.7.4.

47. elan June 27th, 2012 10:19 am

@Frank: have you posted a thread in the forums about this? We’d love more details.

48. Frank June 28th, 2012 3:04 am

@elan: Not yet.

I have to check how to send you the log because it’s my first problem with Plex :-)

49. neuro June 28th, 2012 12:11 pm

“Skip publishing IP addresses from virtual interfaces” – does this work out of the box, or is it a sekrit config option somewhere? I don’t see this fixed after upgrading (see ‘PMS broadcasting on wrong NIC’ thread on PMS Linux forum).

50. Dagnabit! June 29th, 2012 3:00 am

When will the Media Center finally get some love too?

Apple Remote still doesn’t work with iTunes for going on a year now?

51. Cp02 July 2nd, 2012 5:13 pm

Running on a 1010+ I am also getting failed to run package service, error in SQLite line 36?

52. elan July 2nd, 2012 7:47 pm

@Cp02: any way you can send us the full log?

53. BigWheel July 3rd, 2012 2:01 pm

When i do a “defaults read com.plexapp.plexmediaserver” I dont see TranscoderTempDirectory

also when I add the I want do I need to start from root?

defaults write com.plexapp.plexmediaserver TranscoderTempDirectory /Volumes/Disk/rest/of/path

just wanna make sure before I screw something up

Thanks

54. elan July 3rd, 2012 2:21 pm

@BigWheel: it’s blank by default, you can just add it with “defaults write” and start with root, full path :)

55. Martin July 11th, 2012 1:40 pm

I tried to update my plex server yesterday when it prompted me to..left it over night and it was still saying “starting” with no options. So i just deleted my old version and tried to install the new version, but am having the same issue.

Any ideas? i’m running mac 10.7

thanks and sorry if this was covered in another comment

56. Martin July 11th, 2012 1:41 pm

sorry found answer on forum

57. Reece July 26th, 2012 11:34 pm

I have installed the new beta media server on mac osx and i am not seeing it appearing as a DLNA server?

Any suggestions?

58. Kristian August 10th, 2012 9:51 am

Great updates!

Regarding FIX: Skip publishing IP addresses from virtual interfaces.

I need plex to listen on multiple interfaces, this seems to be broken now. Is there a way to manually configure what interfaces plex should listen on?

Kind regards

59. Mario Louis Bumatay August 23rd, 2012 7:29 pm

Plex Media Server has password protect for local network yet? I bought Plex unknowingly this was not implemented. I assumed this should be standard because all of my streaming apps, even free ones have it. I guess I expected too much since I paid for it. I wish I could get my credits back. :-(

60. matt September 16th, 2012 2:18 am

Hi all, My dts audio is missing when played through mac mini, any solutions? Works great through ps3 and Apple TV…

61. Qbone October 7th, 2012 3:23 am

All seems to be working fine.
    How ever i am unable to add music content to my library.
    The button simple doesnt do anything

62. gec5741 November 23rd, 2012 8:52 pm

how do I setup my authentication for my kids like I use to. Prior to this update (wich is awsome btw) I had setup a myplex account used for my kids. I shared only the directories I wanted them to see like kids shows, kids movies etc. Then had the allowedNetworks reg key setup on my server. They saw on the menue only what I shared with them. Now they see it all! If I add it into the advanced pref’s in the new server ui they see nothing on the main menue and only see there stuff if they go into shared content. Is there a way to setup it up as it was before?

Thank you by the way! This software is amazing! And great job on the new server client!

63. Ahmed July 27th, 2013 1:44 am

Password authentication is a must on local networks.

I invited a friends to my house and give them access to my wireless, suddenly I discovered all my PLEX movie library are accessible by them on their iPads once they launched Plex client… this is not acceptable service.

You must solve this important problem and ensure any Plex client is authenticated on the network to access the library otherwise, I will stop using the service and request full refund.

kindly advise.

64. Aashay Jardosh August 29th, 2013 11:02 pm

Password authentication is a must on local network!

I really cannot stop other users on my network to access my entire library. I have a home office setup with around 14 PCs. Most of them have Windows 8 on them. The Plex icon appears right inside My Computer. No matter what settings I try, they do not get any authentication prompt when they open the Plex icon. In Windows 7 they can easily access my Plex Library from the network via WMP.