Plex Media Server v0.9.6.2 / Plex v0.9.5.3 - Plex Blog

Plex Media Server v0.9.6.2 / Plex v0.9.5.3

| 18 May 2012 | by 93 Comments

Just a few short weeks after our last release, we have more goodness for you, in the form of new releases of the Plex Media Server, and the Plex desktop player. We’d like to get you releases more often, and make them easy for you to obtain, and to that end, we created a beta AppCast feed for the media server. When we release, depending on how stable we think the release is, we’ll either push it to the beta feed or the stable feed. This time around, the media server release is beta, because a lot has changed.

If you’re feeling brave, and like living on the bleeding edge, configure your media server to look for the beta feed. (Note that at worst you can just downgrade to an earlier version, we always have backwards and forwards compatibility for the library.) If you have a Roku, you’ll be especially interested in this release, as Schuyler worked some serious magic to fix the video artifacts people were observing on the Roku 2 devices.

The release builds are available in the usual place, and all of the new builds are available here (We’re still working through a Linux issue, so those builds will be out shortly.)

Let’s walk through the changes for the media server first:

• NEW: Greatly enhanced media analysis. When I asked Max how to describe the changes, he said “it’s awesome”. He’s a man of few words, but I’ll try to explain a bit more. The media server analyzes your media for a few reasons: In order to extract a thumbnail, and to glean details about the exact format and codecs in the file. The latter is critical in order for players to determine what files they can consume without transcoding, which can be Direct Streamed (remuxed), and which need to be transcoded. The world of media is incredibly complicated. A simple MP4 file be optimized for streaming, or not; it can have 64-bit chunk offsets, or not; the H.264 inside it can be a myriad of different profiles, levels and have different features enabled. We now capture all of that information, and it will have many uses, not least in making the DLNA server component truly world-class. One thing you’ll notice is that when you scan in this version, the scan will take a lot longer the first time on an existing section, because the scanner is upgrading the analysis for all your files. Be patient, kick back, open a beer, and let it do its job!
  • NEW: The default on new installs is to empty trash automatically. This was confusing too many new users, and I think it was the wrong default, not to mention a confusing UX around learning how and why to empty the trash.
  • NEW: Support for non-DRM iTunes videos and iTunes U.
  • FIX: Improved segmented MPEGTS output (fixes Roku artifacts). And there was much rejoicing!!
  • FIX: TV shows didn’t load metadata properly if the episode had a date but no index (e.g. personal media).
  • FIX: Individual TV episodes can now have their content rating set by the agents.
  • FIX: A few random crashes observed in the wild.
  • FIX: (Linux) From scratch installs now work again (e.g. Synology).
  • FIX: Crash when transcoding (e.g. to LG MediaLink).
  • FIX: Status text while scanning didn’t show up in the OS X media manager.
  • FIX: Transcoder recognizes some MPEG2 files correctly now.
  • FIX: Return the HTTP body from plug-ins even when there’s a failure.
  • FIX: Audio transcoder wasn’t working for remote clients.
  • FIX: Regression in the transcoder leading to green/artifacts on iOS/ATV2.
  • FIX: Many fixes for SRT “burning” during transcode, including subtitles not showing up at all or only partially.
  • FIX: (Linux) Ensure we kill orphaned DLNA servers.
  • FIX: (Linux) DLNA server occasionally wasn’t able to start, unable to obtain IP.
  • FIX: Don’t identify MP4 chapter tracks as subtitles.
  • FIX: Durations in MP3 files should be analyzed much more accurately.

The Plex client has a number of fixes, and we’ll be paying it more attention in the coming months.

• NEW: Developer ID-signed for Mountain Lion.
  • NEW: (OS X) Support for Crystal HD
  • NEW: Allow forcing transcoding on local networks (good for older clients).
  • FIX: Fix a crash when playing video over VNC.
  • FIX: Apple remote keymap was incorrect in Now Playing window.
  • FIX: (OS X) Many fixes for optical/HDMI audio output.
  • FIX: (OS X) Transcoding 5.1 AAC and DTS to AC3 works now.
  • FIX: When selecting multi-item videos, it always played the first item.
  • FIX: Occasional flicker when starting videos.
  • FIX: Respect the “noCache” attribute, fixes some channels not refreshing properly (e.g. Netflix).
  • FIX: (OS X) RTMP wasn’t enabled properly.
  • FIX: When playing some WebKit channels, it improperly transcoded, resulting in no audio.
  • FIX: Saved cookies were making some channels fail to play (e.g. YouTube).
  • FIX: Skinning issue that could make multiple thumbs appear for some content.
  • FIX: Only show watched state (and context menu items) for library content.
  • FIX: Changing display blanking settings required exiting and re-entering full screen to take effect.
  • FIX: Plex.ToggleDisplayBlanking keymap function restored.
  • FIX: Plex.RunScript and Plex.RunAppleScript work again (Mac OS only).
  • FIX: (OS X) Plex.RunScript handles files with the .scpt extension as well as .applescript.
Barkley has been spending lots of time in the water these days. It’s a nice way to start a long day of coding (and sometimes to end one as well).

IMG 1655 SnapseedIMG 1428 Snapseed

1. dixhuit May 18th, 2012 12:32 am

And there was much rejoicing!

2. mariussm May 18th, 2012 12:57 am

I can’t wait to test out the “Many fixes for optical/HDMI audio output” fix!

3. Justin May 18th, 2012 1:18 am

The enhanced media analysis…will this help with the issues I’m having on my Xbox 360? It’s constantly pauses the video, buffers for 5 seconds and then repeats over and over again.

4. radar May 18th, 2012 1:28 am

I have a problem when playing TV shows on my new iPad with the latest version of iOS Plex and PMS 0.9.6.1. Tv Shows are not marked as shown in the PMS after watching them on the iPad. Any idea?

5. Chrispy May 18th, 2012 1:28 am

Great work team! So happy to see the updates to the Client!

6. holzi May 18th, 2012 1:31 am

NEW: Allow forcing transcoding on local networks (good for older clients). <– does this apply to all movies or only the once which have a higher bitrate then set in Quality?

7. MetalMatrix May 18th, 2012 2:02 am

Can’t wait to test this new version. I hope my AAC and FLAC audio plays in this version. :) Thanks for Plex! Awesome product and use it daily.

8. Bill Krueger May 18th, 2012 2:18 am

First off Thanks You. This fixed the video freeze problem I was having with 0.9.6.1 PMS on my Mac Mini to my iPad (the audio kept playing but the video stopped).

Question: I followed the instructions at:http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Beta_AppCasts to pull in the beta but will this also pull in the follow on release (e.g. when 0.9.6.2 is officially released will it install that too)?

Anyway, this is great!

Next up, trying out the new client!

Bill

9. PLi May 18th, 2012 2:31 am

Anybody working on the client for the Apple TV?

10. afin May 18th, 2012 2:39 am

Thanks guys, these are some great improvements along with the metadata improvements.

@Justin – that sounds less like a plex issue and more like an issue with the specs of the computer you are using for the media server.

11. Bitwize May 18th, 2012 2:51 am

YES! Can you please provide more details on the “Many fixes for optical/HDMI audio output”? Greatly appreciated!

12. digiot May 18th, 2012 3:00 am

I hope it fixes the iOS remote viewing crash!!
    I’ll install and post my results ;)

13. Clifto May 18th, 2012 3:12 am

I adore Plex! Thank you so much for what you do!

14. Thomas M. May 18th, 2012 3:32 am

Any idea on when we can see .tp/.ts file support in the array in VideoFiles.py? Not sure why that’s not supported.

15. Max May 18th, 2012 3:35 am

Thanks Élan and Team Plex!

Question: I’m still getting the Firewall prompt when opening the Plex client each time. I’m on Snow Leopard–is that no longer supported? Do I need to upgrade to Lion to not have this be an issue?

16. Tobias May 18th, 2012 3:39 am

@PLi: Not right now no.

17. gardz May 18th, 2012 4:12 am

Why aren’t you guys pushing out updates via sparkle anymore? It was much easier to update clients that way and to be easily notified of new updates without having to keep checking into the site..

18. tobias May 18th, 2012 4:29 am

@gardz: we are? Read the first paragraph of the blog post, we post this to the BETA appcast, because we are not sure how stable we can consider it to be.

19. Justin May 18th, 2012 5:16 am

@afin 2.3GHz i5 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM. I’m on a 40Mb/s download connection and it only has issues with my Xbox. Every other device (computer, iPhone, iPad) works perfect. Seems to be an issue with how DLNA handles transcoding of files.

20. Ian May 18th, 2012 5:51 am

Again no love for WTV metadata.

ffmepg groks it guys. Browsing recorded TV by filename sucks sweaty monkey balls.

21. Justin May 18th, 2012 6:27 am

Thank you, for transcoding to local clients. Really, really grateful. For me, why spend money on a new device when my older computer can be used now?

22. cryptochrome May 18th, 2012 8:22 am

Should we re-scan (deep scan) our library in order to make new fixes/features (like the ” Individual TV episodes can now have their content rating set by the agents.”) work on already scanned in material?

23. cryptochrome May 18th, 2012 8:30 am

@tobias what @gardz said is true. Plex *client* does not update itself. Since the client is not classified as being beta (regarding to your release page), shouldn’t it update? So yes, we have to come and check the website for new versions… not a problem really, but inconvinient.

24. elan May 18th, 2012 8:41 am

@cryptochrome: I don’t believe the TVDB agent makes use of the new per-episode content rating thing, so likely no need. Media analysis update will happen automatically the first time you scan a section.

25. Paul May 18th, 2012 8:59 am

Great work! Still hoping that “Favorites” comes back soon ;)

26. cryptochrome May 18th, 2012 9:08 am

thanks @elan. so it’s all automagic… I like that :)

27. gunny May 18th, 2012 10:04 am

the new server seems to be working great with the OSX client – thanks! Unfortunately, there was some change between 9.5.3 and 9.6.0 that broke the communication with my AppleTV2 client – now it just buffers forever, whether or not the DirectPlay and streaming options are enabled… Any ideas?

28. Hungry_J May 18th, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks team!! Hopefully my iOS devices will be able to connect to the PMS and PMP now!

29. Doug Crowe May 18th, 2012 12:40 pm

please please please make it so we can delete a tv episode without the keyboard….

30. Hungry J May 18th, 2012 1:21 pm

And the local streaming to iOS devices is back!

31. Jay Z May 18th, 2012 4:30 pm

Im sorry to say but this release is still not working well.

I upgraded to the latest Plex client beta to fix the dreaded HDMI audio issues and while it seems to have fixed that it has introduced far bigger problems.

-I have once again have audio sync problems with all my videos. This existed a few releases ago but eventually was fixed by a new version. Once again the usual -250msec delay needed to correct like everyone else.
    -there is now serious video issues as well. Video playback is now no longer smooth with many instances of mild jerkiness and dropped frames (with or without hardware acceleration). Its like watching streaming video at times. Unfortunately whatever damage happened it persists even when downgrading to an older client.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both server and client and even updated to these new releases released today, ,rebooted and problem still persists on my latest gen 2011 8GB RAM Mac mini on 10.7.4

I ADORE plex but these video/audio issues are extremely annoying and they have been an ongoing on/off issues for over a year in the forums.

Any ideas what I should? I’m prepared to completely wipe all of plex and reinstall but don’t want to lose all the markings of what I’ve watched and haven’t so is there a way to back that up?

32. MAXp0wr May 18th, 2012 4:31 pm

Any fix for the client playing all SD content with OOS audio? That has been driving me nuts for quite some time..

33. elan May 18th, 2012 4:33 pm

@MAXp0wr: can you provide a sample?

34. elan May 18th, 2012 4:35 pm

@Jay Z (huge fan, really): 10.7.4 has known issues with HDMI audio, I would run, not walk, to 10.7.3. I have heard about AV sync issues, but nothing changed in that code for this release, it’s a known open issue. Haven’t heard anything about video playback being broken. In reality very little changed in this release, mostly around initialization of digital audio, which was causing a bunch of issues.

35. Russ May 18th, 2012 4:37 pm

Thank you so much for the new releases! I can’t wait to test out the features :)

Completely random thought, but Apple really needs to know about plex software and put it on the Apple TV themselves…it’s worth it!

36. MAXp0wr May 18th, 2012 8:00 pm

@elan: Sure – any SD video I play (avi-xvid) is out of sync by about 200ms. I use Plex on a Mac and it’s been this way for quite a while. Many others have reported the problem and I remember reading that the fix would be in the next client release, so I have been hanging for it :)
    I just checked the latest release and it hasn’t been fixed. Fingers crossed for the next update.

37. elan May 18th, 2012 8:04 pm

@MAXp0wr: i can haz sample? I want to make sure that I get a specific file that’s affecting you.

38. marklight May 19th, 2012 3:52 am

The new version of PMS gives me troubles with playing video plugins on my iPad or iPhone. I rolled back to 9.6.1 and this fixed my issue.

In 9.6.2 when I click on a video plugin – such as a revision3 video – on my iPad/iphone, the video player pops up like it’s going to start the video and then it just closes, then weirdly it brings up the player again and then it closes the player. This all happens very quickly.

39. Luca May 19th, 2012 5:34 am

Hi Elan, and thanks for all the good things in the new release.

However, I am afraid I don’t see the log for the fix to one long standing issue with the client: the option to link Plex’s volume to system volume.

It was there in pre-Laika clients, and it’s essential for many plugins, i.e., the Colbert Report, the New York Times, etc.

Any ETA on the fix?

40. PLi May 19th, 2012 7:25 am

@tobias: Too bad, The AppleTV version is not as good as the iOS version in the AppStore. Very often the player ‘quits’ at random parts of a movie. A restart of the AplleTV then sometimes helps. Never have these issues on my iPad.

41. Ruben May 19th, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi there, every time I open Plex 9.5.3, asks about “allow network connections” in iMac. Anyboy has the same issue? Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

42. Kai May 19th, 2012 9:51 pm

Great to see updates on the client side.

Unfortunately still no love for 1080i h264 content. Eg. as reported here: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/24692-mac-plex-nne-9-crashing-with-1080i/

Blank screen, audio only for osx and win clients (and a hard crash with OSX VDA enabled)

43. Smithcraft May 19th, 2012 11:38 pm

@elan – When it does a new media analysis, will it pull the run time from the file, or does it still get it from the interwebs?

Also, any iDea of when DVD Order will be added to the TV section?

Thanks again!

SC

44. xain09 May 20th, 2012 1:30 am

Again. Great work a always. Love PLEX!

45. Woody May 20th, 2012 2:55 am

Still no fix for the SD content audio offset! Noooooo! Please fix this bug, everything that is listed as SD quality has to have the audio offset by -250ms every time, it’s really starting to bug the friends and family. I love recommending plex but stuff like this stops others wanting to use it. As many have said every time I tell them about updates and cool new features ‘that’s great buts they haven’t fixed the bugs!’. If you need any help with a test subject or need to log into my machine then let me know.

46. Nicola May 20th, 2012 6:49 am

@Ruben Yes, same problem here (Mac mini – Lion 10.7.4)

47. Kimmo May 20th, 2012 6:51 am

@Ruben: I do have the same problem. Tried to download the client software again and then manually re-add it to the firewall’s allowed list, but the “Do you want to accept incoming connections…” dialog prompts everytime to my screen when I start Plex Client… :(

48. robotninja May 20th, 2012 8:36 am

>> (OS X) Support for Crystal HD

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

49. Shirk May 20th, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Plex Team,
    I have to chime in on the “stuff does not work” song.. apparently the new PMS completely broke any HLS streams I try to watch.
    Instead of starting the stream Plex will give me ‘Could not read from input stream.’.

I testet this on 9.5.1 and 9.5.2 with NatGeo and EyeTVLive – both work on 9.5.1 none of them works on 9.5.2 (same error message in each of them).

Please give us a little more HLS love!

50. elan May 20th, 2012 10:39 am

@SmithCraft: the runtime has always been obtained from file and interwebs (and both are sent to the client) so it’s more a matter of what the client displays. Before, the media duration was off (e.g. VBR MP3s), but now with the improved analysis, it’s likely we could shift the clients to looking at the media duration.

As far as DVD order, we’ll need to look into that, we wanted to make it a per-show option.

51. elan May 20th, 2012 10:40 am

@Woody: feel free to shoot me an email with more details. Hey, and tell your friends to use HD content, not old-skool SD stuff :)

52. elan May 20th, 2012 10:40 am

@Nicola/Ruben: we’ll look into it, it’s related to the Developer ID stuff.

53. elan May 20th, 2012 10:46 am

@Shirk: I’m slightly confused, the latest media center release is 0.9.5.3. The latest media server release is 0.9.6.2. Which version/app broke HLS? (We’ll look into it, but more information would be helpful).

54. Nicola May 20th, 2012 11:05 am

@elan/Ruben I deleted the Plex Client folder (~/Application Support/Plex) and the problem is gone, so far.

55. Siridar May 20th, 2012 2:19 pm

Great work guys! Any news on when the updated linux server will turn up in the apt repos?

56. Ben May 20th, 2012 2:58 pm

Still no fix for the Apple remote controlling the system audio and Plex Helper forcing the dock to auto hide when waking from sleep? Again I roll back to old plex until this is fixed :(

57. swiffer May 20th, 2012 9:49 pm

Installed the latest Synology Package (0.9.6.2.115) on my DS412+ without success. Sadly previous version also don’t work anymore. Touching /volume2/@appstore/Plex Media Server/start.sh over ssh results in:

./Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.47.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This file is in place though.

58. elan May 20th, 2012 10:18 pm

@swiffer: I tried from scratch and it worked fine. The start.sh script isn’t used on Synology. Stop the app, make sure the processes are gone (ssh in), unstall it, and then install from scratch.

59. swiffer May 20th, 2012 11:11 pm

My Plex Installation was on volume2 instead of volume1, perhaps this caused the problems.

Simply uninstalling has not solved the problem, i had to delete the whole Plex Data Folder.

After rebooting the NAS installation worked fine, I selected to install on Volume2 and now, the Plex Data Folder is in /volume1/Plex ? Anyway it’s running!

60. Shirk May 21st, 2012 6:11 am

@elan: the latest PMS Release (wiki marks it beta).
    HLS streams will simply result in the error stated in my last comment.
    If I roll back to the 9.1 (or last stable PMS) the everything works.

And that it “works with any PMC version a tested”

61. Clipperstall May 21st, 2012 7:38 am

Great work! Please also fix the bug when you close out of plex and it hides your dock even though you have MAC OSX set to always show dock.

62. Hungry_J May 22nd, 2012 10:01 am

I’m also having the “Allow incoming connections” isse every time the PMC is loaded. As well, none of my Video Channels load. I am able to browse the media available, but as soon as one is selected, I get the same error message Shirk lists above.

63. elan May 22nd, 2012 10:09 am

@Hungy_J: there is a known issue with some channels in 0.9.6.2, we’ll fix it in the next release. Release early! Release often!

64. MichaelW May 22nd, 2012 10:42 am

elan- engadget just posted about plex being standard on Sony 2012 googletv models. Will these boxes offer directplay for all video formats, or will the server need to remux or transcode video?

65. RockerC May 22nd, 2012 9:30 pm

Any updates on Plex Media Server for ARM CPU architecture?

Would be nice verry with official public released and plugins of Plex Media Server for Raspberry Pi, CuBox, PogoPlug, SheevaPlug, Netgear open NAS, and Routers etc.

66. PS3User May 24th, 2012 11:49 am

This version still doesn’t fix the issue where PMS doesn’t properly allow directplay for the PS3 (DLNA). No matter what I try I cannot keep the server from transcoding. TVersity streams the same content with directplay without issue.

67. elan May 24th, 2012 11:51 am

@PS3User: we need full media information to even begin to start figuring out why that would be :) Send us a mediainfo profile?

68. Tombba May 24th, 2012 6:47 pm

Still no download link for QNAP (0.9.6.2)?

69. Ezbox May 25th, 2012 8:19 am

Any word regarding the Unraid/Slackware package (0.9.6.2)? Or should we just wait patiently for (0.9.6.3) ?

70. Amelia May 26th, 2012 1:06 pm

The recent versions of Plex server (windows version) seems to be a lot slower. This is very evident when using the Plex client (on the same system) and the intro ‘On Deck’ and ‘Recently Added’ takes a lot longer to show. Does it have something to do with DLNA support? If so, is there a way to turn DLNA off? or another way to improve the performance of the PMS?

71. Barbelith May 27th, 2012 6:27 pm

For those with the ‘incoming connections’ problem, here is a link to the forum on how to deal with the problem. I’ve had this issue every time I’ve downloaded a new version of Plex and the solution definitely works.
    I had no problem with the previous version of Plex, so I should have followed the ‘if it aint broke don’t fix it ‘ rule, and not updated, but boys will be boys. ;-)

72. Barbelith May 27th, 2012 6:28 pm
  73. JCnME May 27th, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey Elan/Team,

The new support for CrystalHD – is that just implementing the changes made by Thor263 (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/32948-broadcom-crystal-hd-plex-laika-it-works/page__view__findpost__p__223109) or does it have extra goodies included??

Thanks

JC

74. NLS May 28th, 2012 11:06 am

Make Plex a service on Windows please!
    I see this request countless times.
    Is it too hard?

75. MichaelW May 28th, 2012 7:50 pm

elan – are you going to have client support for the new LG smarttv client box http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/28/lg-launches-upgraded-smp820-smart-tv-upgrader-box-in-june-for-ab/ Will it have directplay support?

76. Matt May 29th, 2012 3:37 am

For the most part, this version is stable, but on one my computers (a 2.23Ghz Mini with 4GB ram) the interface seems to stall – so pressing buttons does nothing and then it catches up. Did a reboot, but the problem persists. Not a deal breaker but surprising since interface performance/speed has never been an issue until now.

77. Bolt May 29th, 2012 6:16 am

“One thing you’ll notice is that when you scan in this version, the scan will take a lot longer the first time on an existing section, because the scanner is upgrading the analysis for all your files. Be patient, kick back, open a beer, and let it do its job!”

Just want to let you know that this scan on my original Mac Pro with 9GB of RAM took more than 48 hours and still wasn’t done, seemed to hang. I rolled back to the previous PMS and everything worked fine. To be fair, I have a lot of content to scan, 7TB, but in the past its never taken anywhere close to 48 hours. Not sure if it’s a bug or the sheer size of content caused it.

78. elan May 29th, 2012 9:38 am

@Bolt: Analyzing media can take a fair bit of time, you can watch the Plex Media Scanner.log and see what it’s doing, but basically it needed to update the analysis for all files to reflect the richer profile of data we now collect.

79. Norman May 30th, 2012 1:38 pm

DTS is still not working over DLNA to my playstation.
    And one more thing is missing.

With PS3 MS you can skip and search through the movie, like go to minute 20 orso.
    This doesn’t yet work for Plex MS.
    But this would be killer, I love the Meta details etc which Plex adds.
    This would make it complete.

80. silas May 31st, 2012 6:19 pm

I can’t seem to get scripts to work, either with Plex.RunScript OR Plex.RunAppleScript. Example: I want a script to quit Plex and activate EyeTV, from a menu item in a skin. I tried:
    Plex.Runscript(switch2eyetv.scpt)
    …where the script simply says
    tell application “Plex”
    quit
    end tell
    tell application “EyeTV”
    activate
    end tell

I also tried that using
    tell application “System Events”
    tell application “Plex”
    keystroke “q” using command down
    end tell
    end tell

…and I tried both with the .applescript extension.

I also tried
    Plex.RunApplescript(tell application “switch2eyetv” to activate)

…where the above scripts were saved as an application in my Applications folder. Both Plex AND the applescript application hung, and I had to force-quit both.

Am I doing it wrong, or is this not really fixed??

81. MAXp0wr June 5th, 2012 2:03 am

@elan: Are you asking me to send you a video sample to test?
    Literally any xvid encoded video (inside .avi) is oos for me be about 200ms.

82. Fred03 June 5th, 2012 12:57 pm

Still 100% cpu from python. Wtf?

83. elan June 5th, 2012 12:58 pm

@Fred03: Still? Let me know where you reported the issue and I’ll have a look, haven’t heard of that before.

84. Chaz June 5th, 2012 5:55 pm

I’ll echo the comment about no audio control in plugins (ie: netflix, hulu, etc.). Pretty sure that one’s in lighthouse and all over the forums. Is it not listed in the fixed list or not fixed?

85. PeterP June 6th, 2012 7:36 pm

Still having atrocious sync issues on SD content.
    HD content works fine but Plex is, this is not an exaggeration, completely unusable on SD content.
    Free is Free is Free and we didn’t pay for it, but I’d wish that a critical issue like this sync issue would be fixed after a year or two. It’s curious as issue is instantly reproduced. I don’t know a single person that has SD content _in_ sync.
    Anyways, good to see that the Plex team is opening up a bit.
    Thanks for another release !

86. elan June 6th, 2012 10:45 pm

@PeterP: the odd thing is, if you check out that forum topic about SD A/V sync, there are plenty of people for which the samples play perfectly. One person has the issue, the next one doesn’t. So (as far as I understand it, at least), it’s not so cut and dry.

@deano: It’s a requested feature, so we’ll eventually get to it.

87. MAXp0wr June 8th, 2012 3:36 pm

@elan: I had some time to do some testing with the array of devices in my house, to see if the SD sync issue appears everywhere or not.

Here’s what I found:

- Mac mini with intel hd 3000: Out of sync
    - Mac mini server (i7): Out of sync
    - MacBookPro5,2 (17″ unibody): In sync
    - Windows 7 gaming PC: In sync
    - iPhone 3g: in sync
    - iPhone 4s: in sync

So it seems that the only devices having sync issues for me are the Mac Mini’s.
    If I open any of these SD test videos directly with any other video player on the mini, like VLC etc., the videos are perfectly in sync.

88. elan June 8th, 2012 3:48 pm

@MAXp0wr: Thanks for the testing! It is curious that it’s in sync on the MBP and Win 7 box, I have no explanation for the difference at the moment :(

89. Azak June 9th, 2012 4:38 am

I tried to find answers on the forum.
    But while the problem persists. Please help.

90. Tom June 9th, 2012 6:09 am

for the past year the netflix plugin has not worked, can navigate, select. Begins loading then error “problem with internet or network yada yada” Netflix works fine in safari, what’s with that, I’ll gladly pay again for my copy of plex if they get that working

91. Chaz June 16th, 2012 12:04 pm

Linked Volume issue:

PLEASE! It’s been like 6 months now, and this used to work. Besides being annoying and nearly blowing out my speakers, it scares the crap out of my dogs. They are cute, maybe even cuter than Barkley. Do you want to scare cute dogs? Do YOU??? Did you rape and murder a volume control in 2011???

92. Jeremy June 22nd, 2012 6:24 pm

hope the new update for client!!!

93. fred December 1st, 2013 5:33 pm

hey i tryn to load the new plex server on my media pc and i have windows vista ultmate and only the server pack 2 on it and the plex server will not install …what do i need to do cant find server pack 3 doesnt show in any of the windows update is there a older version of plex i can use and will i miss any thing major..thanks in advance