One More Thing (on April Fools' Day) - Plex Blog

One More Thing (on April Fools’ Day)

, | 01 Apr 2012 | by 119 Comments

[NOTE: From the name-calling and angry comments, it's clear we offended some BlackBerry users, and I wanted to clarify a few things: 1) we were poking fun at the company (which seems to have lost its way), not the users. 2) We've discussed BlackBerry as a Plex platform, and looked into getting our Android app into the App World, but there were issues (the PlayBook version of Android was too old to support the video features we need, and the custom video solution we use for Android 2.x doesn't work on the PlayBook). 3) I'm personally sorry I offended anyone. This was an April Fools' post, and not intended to be taken seriously! Please check your pitchforks and Torches at the door.]

It’s been a big week for us here at Plex. We released a killer update of the Plex for Roku client, which is now officially in the Roku Channel Store. We released a massive update of the Plex Media Server, with DLNA and Windows Phone support. And we released a beautiful new client for the Windows Phone. Not bad, right?

We wanted to bring you equally big news on the business front. This may come as a surprise to many of you, but we’ve been talking to a number of companies over the past year, and have rejected quite a few otherwise generous acquisition offers, simply because we didn’t feel like they were good fits. (At one point we were entertaining an offer from a certain Cupertino company, but in all honesty I was left entirely unimpressed with the cafeteria food.)

A few months ago, however, we found a company which shared our passion, our ethos, our philosophy. The company was looking to revitalize their brand, and was lacking a cohesive media story for their devices. One thing led to another, and now that the ink is dry on the paperwork, I’m incredibly proud to be able to share the news with you: We have been acquired by RIM.

Think about it for a moment: they have a great line of phones, a killer tablet, a magnificent sense of design (have you let your thumbs run over a BlackBerry keyboard lately?), and an incredible vision for the future. And have you heard the new CEO speak? When he says “What I’m really good at is inspiring teams” he means it! I’m inspired!

So what does this new direction imply for our current users? Most of you probably already own a BlackBerry device (who doesn’t?) so you shouldn’t notice much a difference at all. The iOS, Android, and Window Phone clients will get updates which redirect you on launch to the RIM homepage, and our new BlackBerry/PlayBook client (we’re calling it “PlexBerry” which I think you’ll agree has a nice ring) will be available for download in the next 24 hours. Since RIM’s focus for the week is on corporate customers, we’re including a new “boss key” feature in Plex which will quickly overlay an Excel spreadsheet over any video you’re watching.

We want to thank you all so much for your support over the past years! I will of course continue working on Plex for RIM devices, reporting directly to Thorsten (now that he’s cleaned house - about time!).

[Before taking this too seriously, check the date on the article.]

1. Ryan April 1st, 2012 2:52 pm

Better be April fools!

2. Chris C April 1st, 2012 2:53 pm

Stroke of genius there, guys! Bravo on the incredible news. I vote for the “RIMplex” name, though.

3. darcilicious April 1st, 2012 2:55 pm

LOL! Niceone!!

4. Lundmark April 1st, 2012 2:56 pm

Congrats, everyone on the Plex team just got RIM jobs.

5. C April 1st, 2012 2:57 pm

Oh No!!!!!!

April Fools??

6. Matt April 1st, 2012 2:59 pm

This gotta be april fools, man! RIM pwned Plex… hahahaha

7. Madburg April 1st, 2012 3:00 pm

Nice try :)

There are a few guys waiting outside for you, to chat.

8. Raygan April 1st, 2012 3:07 pm

This nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw it on Facebook!

9. James April 1st, 2012 3:09 pm

Got scared and angry for about 30 seconds, until I realized what day it was. Good one!

10. Amit April 1st, 2012 3:10 pm

Theres no photo of Barkley… Gotta be an April Fool’s.

11. Arman April 1st, 2012 3:13 pm

the cupertino part was fake too right? tell me it was real…

12. Matt April 1st, 2012 3:16 pm

Canadians have such good taste.

13. bmoura April 1st, 2012 3:17 pm

April Fools !

14. Boots2x April 1st, 2012 3:20 pm

OMG – that’s so COOL! Now I have something useful to do with that BB Curve of mine!! Thanks guys!!!

15. Mark April 1st, 2012 3:28 pm

Regarding the line, “Most of you probably already own a BlackBerry device (who doesn’t?)”. Yeah, in 2008. This has to be some kind of April Fools joke, right? It’s 2012 and not many people are buying a blackberry device. Haven’t you seen the latest purchasing chart?

16. Wei April 1st, 2012 3:28 pm

I fell for it until the “great line of tablets” stuff. It forced me to think about what was wrong. The date, obviously. Good one!

17. Wei April 1st, 2012 3:29 pm

I also want to know if the Cuppertino part is true.

18. James Williams April 1st, 2012 3:30 pm

I hate April 1st! lol

19. chris April 1st, 2012 3:34 pm

I really thought RIM bought you guys. As bad as they’re struggling right now, a creative injection of Plex wouldn’t be a bad thing.

20. Gord April 1st, 2012 3:35 pm

I’m pretty sure April Fools is supposed to end at noon on the 1st :P

21. Barry April 1st, 2012 3:37 pm

I admit it: you had me for a second. My eyes skipped ahead to “we have been acquired by RIM” and I panicked. Well played, well played :D

22. lol April 1st, 2012 3:38 pm

Amazing!

23. Dusty April 1st, 2012 3:47 pm

Here you got my hopes up that I’d finally have a use for the playbook that has otherwise been collecting dust.

bastards!

24. Sam April 1st, 2012 3:56 pm

RIP Plex

worst. news. ever. :(

25. marklight April 1st, 2012 3:57 pm

hahahahahahahaha…. whew.

26. Marco April 1st, 2012 4:04 pm

hopefully an April Fools joke… RIM – Technology nobody needed, Hardware that no one wants… they will be dead in 3 years due to lack of innovation.

27. Osplo April 1st, 2012 4:11 pm

I got the shambles until I stated laughing with the boss key… Then I remembered the date…

Nice! LOL

28. Paul April 1st, 2012 4:26 pm

Damn it, you got me all excited I had my hopes for an update to the Mac client!

29. Seth April 1st, 2012 5:15 pm

I about messed myself when i saw this… then i read it again.. and… AWE APRIL FOOLS ON ME!
    Thank god this isn’t true. I was about to cry….
    Good One Guys… better than the Hungry Hungry Hippos for iPad at Think Geek!

30. Steve Wells April 1st, 2012 5:26 pm

So there will be more RIM jobs up for grabs?

31. neal April 1st, 2012 5:47 pm

This has to be a joke, I just went to RIM’s website and there was no news about them acquiring Plex. So this has to be a joke.

32. Samuel April 1st, 2012 7:05 pm

This scared the hell out of me.

Major props, Elan — you got me good.

33. bewe April 1st, 2012 7:05 pm

funny, exact the same day one year ago, xbmc was aquired by sony. must be a coincidence. beter check the date ;)

34. Francois April 1st, 2012 7:25 pm

You got me!
    In my defense, we are on april 2nd right now ;-)

35. Patrick April 1st, 2012 9:46 pm

You got me until the bit about the Excel spreadsheet. I couldn’t believe you were going to scrap the iOS and Android players!

April 2nd here though!

36. Alex S April 1st, 2012 10:28 pm

Phew!!
    Heart started beating faster until I saw the date :-)
    Alex

37. radar April 1st, 2012 10:39 pm

I really believe it before reading the comments. And did not understand the “you have all a Blackberry” :)

38. RckStr April 1st, 2012 11:43 pm

Good one. Turning down Apple…yeah…

39. Matt April 2nd, 2012 2:14 am

Got me too…noice.

40. JB April 2nd, 2012 8:09 am

@Amit I Agree: No Barkley => not legit

41. Paul April 2nd, 2012 8:35 am

I could not BELIEVE what I was reading, until I saw the date.. Was so confused I didn’t cath up until today. Good one Plex team, would hate for you guys to make such a poor decision :-)

42. flow April 3rd, 2012 3:20 am

@elan: Now you know, how you can scare all of us to death. Never do that again! NEVER ever use Plex and RIM in the same sentence again! A cold shiver ran down my back!

43. Chris Umiastowski April 3rd, 2012 4:05 am

Guys – this joke was only funny when you mentioned the “boss key” feature.

The rest of it is in REALLY BAD taste. Did the executive team of Plex actually approve of you making fun of RIM like this?

Do you realize they have 77 million global subscribers? Yet you’d rather support the Nook Color?

Making a harmless joke is one thing. But making a joke that insults another company (especially while they are going through a rough transition) is REALLY poor taste.

To make up for this you should get one of your engineers to take the APK file and repackage it into a Playbook BAR file.

Your own customers are already doing this via RIM developer tools and sideloading to the Playbook.

Get ‘er done … and help your customers instead of making fun of potential revenue-generating partners.

44. Will April 3rd, 2012 8:14 am

Excellent blog post – way to alienate your users who happen to also be BlackBerry fans.

45. John April 3rd, 2012 8:15 am

Haha, PLEX wishes this was true. It would actually be a good partnership. BlackBerry users are starved for content and this would actually generate a ton of business for PLEX. Stupid joke though. I don’t really get how it’s supposed to be funny.

46. Michelle Haag April 3rd, 2012 8:16 am

Sad, Plex would be awesome on my PlayBook. Maybe to make up for this stupid joke, you could go ahead and make a client for us now. :)

47. JonR April 3rd, 2012 8:22 am

This shows a lack of class. Perhaps 77+ million subscribers isn’t good enough for you?!

48. Paul April 3rd, 2012 8:24 am

You guys are idiots. Is this a company or a couple of numbskulls in their garage? Poor poor taste.

49. joski April 3rd, 2012 8:27 am

What a retarded joke. As if there aren’t enough Apple/Google elitist morons out there spreading non-sense about RIM, Plex has joined the party!

…Yay? I’m happy with Subsonic – at least the creator isn’t a twat…

50. Tav April 3rd, 2012 8:27 am

I guess a client for 1.2 million playbooks ans 70 million BBs is a joke then?

51. AK April 3rd, 2012 8:28 am

well, you didn’t imagine losing customers over this…. right?? u lost 6 now.

what a waste…. really poor judgement.

52. @MartinJDub April 3rd, 2012 8:29 am

The fact that only 35 users even cared to post a comment says alot to me. When do we jump ship to BlackBerry? Sign me up.

PS – I will come back to this post later and see that we all eat crow.

53. Raj Viswanathan April 3rd, 2012 8:29 am

This is incredibly distasteful coming from a startup such as yourself. Kicking a dog when they’re down is disrespectful and distasteful. You should be ashamed of yourself for publishing this and I sincerely hope that action is being taken against the blogger. I for one will be advocating anyone I come across to stop using Plex unless an apology is received.

54. RIM Plex April 3rd, 2012 8:37 am

Plex is a bunch of wankers

55. John April 3rd, 2012 8:38 am

Not really funny..at least you could support a BB app as a way of making it up to all of us!

56. Troy April 3rd, 2012 8:46 am

I find it interesting that a company would allow one of its representatives (elan) to so blatantly bash potential customers. There are plenty of mobile platforms available as choices beyond iOS and Android. I just so happen to choose to use a blackberry and a playbook.

Choosing to ignore a potential customer base is one thing, but to go out of your way to intentionally alienate and insult one makes Plex look like its run by a bunch of childish brats.

You’ve lost a potential customer.

57. Anderw English April 3rd, 2012 8:46 am

You know you might think its funny to joke around about developing your application for the Playbook. It doesn’t make you look intelligent amongst the rest of the consumer market.

I hope for your sake you never develop your app for RIMs products otherwise this will be just s slap in the face for you. :)

Andrew

58. Mark April 3rd, 2012 8:53 am

I want a plex app for my playbook!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

59. Stephen April 3rd, 2012 8:55 am

Too bad you won’t support RIM and the Playbook. You’d discover a passionate community that gives good feedback and would love to really get behind a cool concept like your app.

Instead I’ll find other options.

60. James April 3rd, 2012 8:55 am

Always a good business tactic to alienate future customers. Have never heard of you before your witty article. Now I will never use your product. Congrats!

61. John Marki April 3rd, 2012 9:04 am

Elan,
    I’ve been a Plex user and supporter for almost 3 years now. I love using Plex on my Mac Mini hooked up to my Sony Bravia and its an awesome little program to power my Media. However, this is in poor taste. I own a Mac Mini, Mac Pro Desktop and and MacBook Pro, and I am the Interactive Media Coordinator for a large company, all of which use Macs, Macs that I had to order for my staff. However, I and many others in our design dept. also own BlackBerry Bold 9900′s, Torch 9810′s and BlackBerry Playbooks, (my choice and theirs) and know for a fact that the BlackBerry community would love to have Plex on their Playbooks. I dont understand the animosity towards a North American company that provides a great communication device. Just because it doesn’t have the marketing and apps that other formats have, it seems that developers are scared of this. When developers complain about the difficulty of app development for BlackBerry, RIM went out and worked with other companies to create SDK so Android App Developers could repackage the App for Playbook! I just expected more from a community of developers and designers that enjoy Apple to be more open-minded and to not look down or mock others who use something different from them. Congrats on a great program, but work on your condescending attitude.

Sincerely,
    John Marki
    Plex User/Supporter

62. Good-man April 3rd, 2012 9:08 am

You guys have no class. With all the outright lies and irresponsible reporting re:RIM, you have to come out with this!
    Classless, and pathetic…
    The sad part is that by not being on PlayBook OS, you are turning down free money. Stupid.
    You would also be setup for BB10.
    Things are changing at BlackBerry, but I guess you just want to spit on 77,000,000 loyal users…like me.
    Who else do you hate on? Is it because the first word in BlackBerry is Black?
    You just spent time raving about Windows Phone- Windows!-hasn’t windows with their crappy products done enough to make all our lives virus ridden and miserable?!
    QNX is superior to Windows and everything else out there.BB development tools are also superior.
    Outside of the Excited States, everyone still loves and is rooting for BlackBerry. I know you people think you are the world, but you are not. FREE MONEY!! FOOLS!!!

63. Boron April 3rd, 2012 9:11 am

I mean, really? Kicking RIM while they’re down? How utterly scumbag of you. Show some class won’t you.

64. lnichols April 3rd, 2012 9:19 am

Wow so slam RIM and its users while supporting WP7 which has no market share and nobody wants!?!? You could have easily repackaged your Android app in a minute (people have already verified this works and side loaded it on Playbooks), put it on AppWorld and made some money off the Playbook community. But instead you disrespect an entire group of potential customers. Don’t worry it got picked up on Crackberry so people know to look for products from companies that want our money, but keep supporting those Android users who are all about free apps, and that one Windows Phone 7 user out there and ignore 77 million Blackberry users!

65. Navid April 3rd, 2012 9:35 am

Very Classy. Kick them while their down. I’m disappointed.

66. cmoibenlepro April 3rd, 2012 9:47 am

Now that the Playbook supports officially Android apps, why don’t you sell your app on the AppWorld? instead of encouraging illegal sideloading and piracy…

67. Nice one... Dumbass April 3rd, 2012 9:48 am

Real classy joke there. RIM may not have a huge marketshare in the US anymore, but still makes great phones.

Whether you choose to believe it or not does not matter, but those who do realize it don’t appreciate being the butt of the joke. I’m sure you’ve lost potential members through the bad press you’ve created within the Blackberry community, and either way shows you have no class.

Anyway, I know this will never make it to the comment department since you guys vet this shit against anyone who might be against your views or, heaven forbid, say anything against Apple :o, but your choice. If Bloomberg says there’s 75 million subscribers, I’ll believe it… That’s 75 million people who (potentially) just lost respect for your company.

68. Nice one... Dumbass April 3rd, 2012 9:51 am

Sorry, I should have finished my thought before submitting!!!

Don’t bother supporting the PlayBook, you wont be successful (I’m serious). I love when devs support the PlayBook, the more the better. But you are the first that is literally unwanted by the community

69. Ted April 3rd, 2012 10:06 am

Classy joke!

Hmmm – I see that nobody else finds this to be in poor taste. Either that, or you’re deleting negative posts.

Let’s see if you have the integrity to publish this.

70. james brockman April 3rd, 2012 10:30 am

Not funny at all … I actually like your app but you can take your overpriced, produced by slave labor in china apple crap and shove it.

71. Rick Kelchak April 3rd, 2012 10:35 am

Kind of bad taste considering there are people who actually own and use BlackBerry devices. My PlayBook is a fantastic device that I’d love to see Plex run on. The too-big size of the iPad and free 3G on the PlayBook clinched the decision for me.

72. Nigel B April 3rd, 2012 10:37 am

You should actually maybe take some of that effort it took to make up this story, use the very simple dev tools provided by RIM, repackage plex, and put it on their App World. You are in the business of acquiring new customers across any / all platforms that can make you money. I would be more then happy to pay you money for a Playbook application. I have even tested the repackaged apk in attempts to get your product functioning. There are now over 1.5million Playbooks in circulation, maybe you should capitalize on this fact….

73. Ryan April 3rd, 2012 10:56 am

I’m not a Plex user, but I came across this and is definitely in poor taste. Way to say that the 78 million BlackBerry users in the world are idiots. All it would take is repackaging the Android app (some people have done it for you and sideloaded it), but instead you’d rather just write us off and tell us you’d rather we not be your customers. Ok, we won’t.

74. Luke April 3rd, 2012 10:59 am

Plex you can kiss my [BEEP] big blackberry ass. You guys are a bunch of [BEEP] anyway

75. RC April 3rd, 2012 11:00 am

Instead of making jokes at the expense of RIM you should be spending time trying to establish a product that BB Playbook works on and increase your audience and revenue stream. Your product is not well know and now to many BB fans you are only known for a stupid prank.

SO I THINK THE APRIL FOOL JOKE IS REALLY ON YOU!

76. KGeee April 3rd, 2012 11:02 am

Well said John Marki…. coming from a guy that has used Blackberry products (work and personal) I dont understand the animosity towards a company that is having a hard time lately. To be honest I have never heard of your app until today but you best believe that I will not support your product. There are plenty of alternatives out there. Please.. lets work on being more professional in the future. I can remember not too long ago that Apple was down and out.

77. J McFarlane April 3rd, 2012 11:04 am

I too am quite disappointed. I love a good April Fool’s joke (or any joke) as much as anyone else, but this one crossed over into the pale.
    While the Playbook may not be the IPad’s equal, it is still a great tablet in it’s own right. I love mine and use it every day. With BlackBerry Bridge alone, I’ll save enough money in a years time that I could upgrade to an Ipad (or a newer Playbook) if I wanted to. Not to mention graphically it is a beauty.
    I cannot fathom how it makes good business sense to disrespect the millions of loyal BB fans and the ever growing Playbook user base. I do believe Plex could have converted their Android client to a Playbook client in the time it took to concieve and execute this April Fool’s piece, and would have gained respect in the marketplace while doing so, rather than giving themselves a huge self-inflicted black eye.

78. Shane April 3rd, 2012 11:04 am

I know this is april fools joke but I think it just came at a time, where its one of those situations that some people may think “why are you still kicking someone whos already down?”. I like plex but I to have a playbook that would love some plex love but this just proves that it won’t even be considered and that RIM is just viewed as a joke. Too bad really there could be even more business to be made off of RIM.

79. Mike April 3rd, 2012 11:13 am

Whatever, I’ll just convert the Android apk to bar. You lose on $5. Or you know, you could just make the app available for PlayBook.

80. elan April 3rd, 2012 11:43 am

@Mike: If it were that easy, we totally would have done that already. My understanding is that there are issues with video playback. By all means, though, give it a try and let us know how it works :)

81. DP April 3rd, 2012 11:46 am

Yeah, I will also just use the android version on my playbook. Who’s the joke really on?

82. elan April 3rd, 2012 11:52 am

@DP: please do, and let us know how it works, especially around video playback. I’m curious to hear how it works, as my understanding is that there are problems around the custom 2.x Android video code we use and the PlayBook but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

83. Jeff Bokma April 3rd, 2012 11:58 am

Bad form. Kicking someone when they’re down. What did RIM do to you but give you more customers with playbook version 2.0?

84. Glenn April 3rd, 2012 12:11 pm

I agree with Elan…bad taste. Kinda like listening to high schools kids.

Bet most of you used Blackberry’s a few years ago and thought you were cool doing so and have now flip flopped because apparently, RIM bashing is now the cool thing to do.

85. Brianflys April 3rd, 2012 12:17 pm

No class on your “prank”. I suggest your CEO should be looking for more customers, not alienating a very large user base. Yes, RIM remains a large user base with 77 million users and growing. RIM is going through some changes, but the PlayBook is a solid and powerful tablet, and you should look at the new business potential, not blasting possible customers. Your post was in poor taste. Please act like adults. Thank you.

86. Boogz April 3rd, 2012 12:36 pm

Not cool plex… You should actually try again to bring your application to the PlayBook. Since 2.0 there have been many improvements to the android player.

87. Jamie April 3rd, 2012 12:36 pm

Seriously guys, it was joke, have a beer a chill !!!!!!

88. elan April 3rd, 2012 1:10 pm

@Raj Viswanathan: Actually, you know what’s “incredibly distasteful” is your advocating “action…being taken against the blogger”. Seriously? Are you sure you’re not overreacting a bit?

89. Gordon Kashvili April 3rd, 2012 1:17 pm

I personally thought it was pretty funny. Especially the part about the excel spreadsheet…

Now that that’s done, can someone explain to me what a “Plex” is? I know what a BlackBerry is (who doesn’t), but I’ve never heard of a Plex…

Perplexing…

90. Cyrus April 3rd, 2012 1:34 pm

Not funny. I Bet you that of you made a Blackberry Playbook App, that it will be downloaded more than the Windows version.

91. Equilibrad April 3rd, 2012 1:38 pm

ok. you suck. period

92. Anonymous April 3rd, 2012 2:23 pm

Ignore the crazy blackberry users, they are a dying breed. They need to get over it, it was a joke!!!! And a damn funny one at that.

93. Jake April 3rd, 2012 2:26 pm

Plex will not be getting my business.
    Issues getting the android app working on the PlayBook?
    I call bullshit, considering people are already side loading the file themselves and it works fine.

94. Scott Mather April 3rd, 2012 2:33 pm

What regrettable foolishness…
    Had someone “had a few” before sitting down at the keyboard?
    That’s often the way this sort of thing happens. “Seemed like a great idea at the time!”
    You’d be wise to go ahead and port the program for Blackberry now. In fact, that’d not only be the least you should do – it’d be a smart business move.

95. Anonymouse_boo April 3rd, 2012 2:37 pm

Welcome to my never buy list. But I’ll be sure to tell everyone I know how much the Plex app sucks and that it’s not worth $0.99, never mind $5.

96. Troy April 3rd, 2012 2:37 pm

@elan,

I give you props for posting many of the recent submitted comments, including my own. Many thought that they would simply be ignored, glad to see you have thick skin ;^)

From what I understand, the conversion to playbook bar can be a very easy process (I did read your concern about video playback above). Perhaps something constructive can come out of this, perhaps you or someone at Plex can take another look at a playbook port?

Peace.

97. elan April 3rd, 2012 2:52 pm

@Troy: I too hope something constructive can come of this :) Some people have tried to “sideload” the APK and apparently have run into issues with video playback. A BB dev relations guy reached out to us, so we’ll discuss with them, as that would be – by far – the easiest route to getting Plex on the PlayBook.

98. lotuslanderz April 3rd, 2012 3:03 pm

I had never heard of Plex til this brou-ha-ha. I just checked the latest reviews on the iTunes App store and they dont seem to be too complimentary?? Maybe just some bugs that need to be worked out.

Anyway, as you can see, the BB fans are passionate about their platform. This is a great potential revenue “stream” for Plex. Hopefully, RIM will put a PlayBook in your hands so you can see its potential. :)

99. Michael S. April 3rd, 2012 3:03 pm

I think it’s funny that a company that doesn’t know the ins and outs of having stock holders is cracking jokes… Go public once and see how fast you get eaten alive!

100. Kent April 3rd, 2012 4:08 pm

If it’s so much a problem for you to port your android app to blackberry, why not just make a native app.

101. Steve April 3rd, 2012 4:15 pm

Tbh, I dont know if anything constructive should come of this. Clearly Plex is already on the shatlist of many Playbook owners who read this (and that would be the majority of the people who have heard of Plex in the Playbook community if we are being honest… I had no idea what it was before today). So the problem is if something “constructive” comes from this, people wont support it, and then a few months down the road Plex will be blogging about how they’ve only sold “x” number of copies and it’s a dead end platform… Is that the press PB users want?

I say praise others who join the app world (native or android) and forget about Plex completely. I get that it was intended as a joke… But judging by Elan’s note at the start of the article, he still doesn’t actually understand what is wrong with his post and why he got a negative reaction even though “it was a hilaaaaarious joke”. I think it shows Plex’s view on Blackberry/Playbook.

Long story short, certain users wont support Plex even if they did come to the app world. So just leave it at that. Plex developing for PB and then saying bad things as a dev with “PB experience” is worst case scenario here.
    Just my 2 cents

102. mikelcal April 3rd, 2012 4:37 pm

RE: Updates, what a bunch of BS. I thought software developers had to be good problem solvers. Stop your excuses and make it work! Heck, RIM has been holding hackathons left and right with developers to help them iron out issues.Send Alec Saunders a tweet, or email. Google the guy, he’s not hard to find and is bound to get you the tools you need to make your video player work. There is a native SDK out, maybe a port would be easier than a repackage. I got my hand on my wallet, its up to you if you want my money.

103. Dave April 3rd, 2012 4:57 pm

Kicking a company when its down is a low blow. Save the bullying ways for the 2 cent media and bloggers. There is no reason why a Plex should find it upone themselves to make a joke on others. Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor. Take a lesson from Google. 8 bit google maps was a brilliant April fools joke! No need to put someone down.

104. Raj Viswanathan April 3rd, 2012 6:03 pm

@elan – I understand your frustration with the overreaction from a visitor to your blog such as myself and I apologize for calling for action against you. That doesn’t excuse your behaviour and I do appreciate the apology that you added to the post upon the backlash. In the future, please be aware that when you are conducting business, that you act professionally and with courtesy. I stand by my statement earlier that your original post was distasteful and condescending to the millions of blackberry users and thousands of RIM employees who work day and night on putting a product out much like yourself.

105. RichardR April 3rd, 2012 6:20 pm

Sorry to hear you have issues getting your app on the QNX platform, but QNX (BB10) platform supports like dozen or so platforms, not just the android player… flash, html5, QT, and native C are just some of the common stuff. I love my blackberry and I will not switch by device… So I guess I’m SOL, but then that make you SOL too.

106. mike April 3rd, 2012 7:35 pm

wow….tacky. Was thinking about using plex software in my solution to my home theatre but obviously i know whats behind it. I will let you moderate this and get back to being iSheep. Go ahead…..get back to your lackluster tablet and overhyped phone. Enjoy being bent over tablet and taking it from Apple!

107. shocked April 3rd, 2012 8:54 pm

Wow. Is the lack of a sense of humor a prerequisite for buying a blackberry?

It was a harmless joke, and pretty funny.

RIM deserves to be made fun. It was their complacency that they let other companies (that had never made phones before) waltz in and embarrass them.

And honestly “Outside of the Excited States, everyone still loves and is rooting for BlackBerry.” is a little bit of an exaggeration… just a little…:)

108. RSM April 3rd, 2012 8:56 pm

Looks like you build some neat software. Too bad it won’t run on my playbook. Maybe when the BB10 phones come out later this year you will reconsider supporting the platform.

109. john April 3rd, 2012 9:04 pm

Plex is a nice product but far from having 77 million active customers paying monthly fees and generating 20 billion of revenues. Not counting PlayBooks as I believe a bit less than 2 million active devices is not enough to get your interest.
    It was an easy move to punch RIM while they are down.
    Not as easy as it was for me to stop using your product on all my devices though.
    Continue like this and your fall will be much faster than RIM’s.

110. Chris Umiastowski April 4th, 2012 3:14 am

Ok. So this whole thing was by my design and I’m very happy with the progress that I hope is unfolding.

[*SNIP*...rehash of how offended Chris was by the post]

So, back to business. Plex is an AMAZING APP. I’m not going to abandon it just because the person running this blog had poor taste at the time. For all I know he’s a cool guy who usually doesn’t act like this.

I want Plex on my Playbook. I’ll BUY it when it’s out. I just want to see Plex and the RIM team work together to get it done.

The native dev kit that RIM has is amazing. This can get done! I know you’re resource strapped, but that shouldn’t stop you.

Price the app at $5 and you’ll get a LOT of customers on BlackBerry products. Playbook today and BB10 in the next year. Be the best damn home streaming solution that the RIM platform has. Everyone will buy this app. Millions of people.

Will that justify the resources? I think it will. Make it happen. We’re all hoping you will. We’ll forgive the poor joke :)

111. Richard April 4th, 2012 4:02 am

Reconsider a native playbook/BB10 app. I’d pay $10 or more to help cover costs. It’s one of the only things I really miss on the playbook…

112. Oli April 4th, 2012 4:43 am

Jeez, it was a joke, it appears the loyal hord of Blackberry losers, I mean users signed over their sense of humour upon purchase. Really get a life…

113. Jason April 4th, 2012 4:58 am

WOW,notice how the comments were all fun and games until Chris Umiastowski showed up. This guy blogged/whined about the lack of class shown by Plex for insulting blackberry – and ironically insults the nook color in the same sentiment – so no class AND a hypocrite?) and a bunch of fanboys and his followers came to bash and cry over it. Are you kidding me? All these ridiculous comments about how these 77 millions subscribers (maybe, but not smart phones owners with its current (AND STILL DROPPING 15% market share) are all offended and bringing the storm. I’m not dissing RIM, that is just the state its in. Hopefully, RIM can come back from the severe damage this article caused. Most of he people complaining here don’t even know about plex. RIDICULOUS

114. Jason April 4th, 2012 5:07 am

Oh and if you want to read the same people’s ranting or from the RIM evangelist himself in more detail go to crackberry’s article of mean plex joke: crackberry.com/does-april-fools-joke-mean-we%E2%80%99re-never-getting-playbook-plex-client (not sure links get shown…).

115. Hayden April 4th, 2012 5:59 am

I think the BB users need to all calm down and realize it was just a harmless April Fool’s prank. Stop being so sensitive! Keep up the good work Plex team. I look forward to the next update.

116. Bill April 4th, 2012 7:22 am

I agree, a harmless funny joke. Blackberry users are a sad bunch of folks that is for sure. RIM needs to be kicked while they are down, the majority of the users are corporate users who’s IT department know BES and are too afraid to move to anything else. Times are a changing though and I do not see RIM surviving another 5 years if they do not re-invent the wheel.

The majority of the people posting negative comments here are just doing it because of the calling of arms by crackberry.

117. Oliver April 4th, 2012 7:44 am

The RIMjobbers that keep posting here need to get over it. “I love a good April fools joke as much as the next guy, but this is too much!” Waaaaaaahh. . . . grow up people. It was a joke. Think about how insane it is that your feelings are getting hurt over someone joking about a piece of electronic equipment you bought. I mean really??…

118. Frank April 4th, 2012 7:50 am

I am the same poster (Oliver) as above. See how easy it is to seem like I am 2 people! I too think blackberry users are thin skinned. That makes 2 :)

119. elan April 4th, 2012 9:33 am

@Chris: To paraphrase “I was one who sent all those people over to be offensive to Plex, its developers, and its user-base. But really, I only did this because I want Plex on the BlackBerry.”

Next time, call or write :)