This ain't your grandfather's DLNA - Plex Blog

This ain’t your grandfather’s DLNA

So what exactly is DLNA, and why are we so excited to be releasing a new version of the Plex Media Server which supports it? DLNA stands for Digital Living Network Alliance, which says more about the fact that it’s a fancy standard than what it actually is, and really, everything you ever needed to know about standards is expressed in the following XKCD comic:

All joking aside, DLNA encompasses some mechanisms around sharing media between devices. The best thing about DLNA is that there are literally hundreds of millions of devices which can play media from DLNA servers. The *worst* thing about DLNA is that almost every DLNA player has its own unique interpretation of the specification, and support for a very different set of codecs and formats. The other really bad thing about DLNA is that it has extremely poor support for metadata, unlike Plex, which supports gobs of data (actors! genres! directors! country! tags! collections! and more!) for every single piece of media.

As most of you are aware, one of the components of the Plex Media Server is a really really awesome transcoder (no, really, it’s amazing), which we put to good use serving up content to lots of different devices already, and which we’ve enhanced substantially in this new release, by adding DLNA-friendly features, as well as support for Silverlight Smooth Streaming (which of course is used by the new Windows Phone 7 client).

IMG 1116

So in a most excellent ménage à trois, we’ve united our sexy transcoder with Plex’s rich metadata system and Plutinosoft’s fabulous DLNA SDK. The result (besides a lingering scent of cologne and flowers) is the world’s best DLNA server. No, really. I’m not prone to hyperbole. This DLNA server can do things that no other DLNA server on the planet can do. And the coolest part is that with this new release, all the content served up by your Plex Media Server is now accessible by an insane amount of new devices, including ones that may already be in your homes (your LG washing machine doesn’t have DLNA? Send it back!).

IMG 1106

Let’s look at a few of my favorite features of the Plex DLNA server:

• myPlex queue support: you can use the bookmarklet to queue web video, and play them from your DLNA device. Talk about breathing new life into your PS3, I love watching queued videos on that device.

IMG 1110

• myPlex shared content support: you can play shared media from your friends. (They need to be running this new version of the media server.) This is, like, mind-boggling. DLNA isn’t supposed to work across the Internet, but with our new server, I get all Obama-like and yell “Yes You Can!”.

IMG 1108

• Channels: We support video, music, and photo channels on DLNA clients which support it.

IMG 1114

IMG 1115

• Direct Play and Direct Streaming: whenever we can, we just serve up the file, since lots of DLNA clients support many different formats/codecs. Additionally, we can remux files, which allows playing HD MKV files on a PS3 at full video quality, for example.
  • Metadata: Obviously DLNA has limitations, but we make the best of the metadata we have available and format it in a way that looks great on a DLNA client.

IMG 1111

So now a few caveats. First and foremost, this is an initial release of the server, labeled beta, and there will be bugs. The good news is that, as always, the server is backwards/forwards compatible, so you can move back and forth as you wish between beta and stable.

Secondly, there are like seven bazillion DLNA devices. At least. We’ve focused on support for two of them primarily (the PS3, and the Xbox360) and one other (the WD TV Live). The good news is that we have a very simple yet powerful XML-based configuration (see here for the current one) system which can be used to describe new DLNA clients’ capabilities. We can push out new profiles to everyone automatically, and you can extend it with your own profiles. (For those who care, just make your own dlnaclientprofiles.xml file in the Plex Media Server application support folder. And please, please, share your new profiles with us so that everyone can benefit!)

Last of all, subtitles are not working with DLNA in this release. We will absolutely get them working, and better than you might think possible, just not in this first release. Sorry.

The new links to this BETA release of the Plex Media Server are available in the usual place (look for the beta release with DLNA support). Linux builds will be up shortly, we’re just doing a final round of testing. Enjoy!

I’ll leave you with this photo of Barkley, who has become a bipedal aquatic canine. Seriously, he walks around the lagoon on his two hind paws, looking for fish or something else to pounce on.

IMG 1215 Snapseed

1. pslijkhuis March 29th, 2012 12:13 am

Awesome! Thanks for this, i’ll will most certainly be building an XML config file for my Samsung TV.

Great work!

2. spov March 29th, 2012 12:20 am

Awesome, in the end i can finally dismiss PS3 Media Server for serving my 360!

Thank you guys!

3. thaoula March 29th, 2012 12:21 am

Hi Guys,

Awesome work!!.

Does this mean the WP7 client will be available soon?

Regards,
    Tarek

4. Luke L March 29th, 2012 12:27 am

Yes, this saves me having to get another device just to watch Plex elsewhere!

5. TheRedShirt March 29th, 2012 12:27 am

Awesome news! No more need for PS3 Media Server

6. Basket Kees March 29th, 2012 12:31 am

Every time when you think you guys can’t exceed what you’ve done with Plex, you manage to blow us away with something awesomely amazing!
    From now on it will be very difficult to get yourself in a situation where you can’t access your Plex media library (or your friends’ libraries). Mind boggling indeed!

7. Andreas March 29th, 2012 12:31 am

Could this support older DLNA devices such as my Sony KDL-W4500 TV?

8. Vejrup March 29th, 2012 12:36 am

If you use your ps3 as play out machine instead of machine, can you the play with DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD if you play from PMS?

9. Vejrup March 29th, 2012 12:37 am

If you use your ps3 as play out machine instead of macmini, can you then play with DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD if you play from PMS?
    Sorry for the other post…. Auto correct F*** Up

Best regards
    Vejrup

10. chrillenilsson March 29th, 2012 12:44 am

How do I get this to work? How can I make my PS3 find Plex? All I find now is Windows Media Player…

sorry for stupid Q :)

11. elan March 29th, 2012 12:47 am

@chrillenilsson: There can only be one DLNA server per machine, afaik, so if Windows Media Player is already advertising, I suspect Plex cannot. I think you can turn off Windows Media Player DLNA sharing?

@Vejrup: You tell us, we’re new to the world of DLNA :)

@Andreas: It should be able to yes; it might need a profile.

@Basket Kees: Thanks so much, we really appreciate it :)

12. chrillenilsson March 29th, 2012 12:51 am

Aha… where do I turn off the WMS?

13. nypher March 29th, 2012 12:57 am

I love Plex, always have, always will ;-)

Now i don’t even need to buy an AppleTV, Roku or GoogleTV device to have it in my living room with the Xbox 360.

Just love it! Thanks and thanks again guys, you’re the best!

14. elan March 29th, 2012 12:58 am
  15. chrillenilsson March 29th, 2012 1:02 am

Now I ahve turned it off… But still no PLEX :(
    Hmm anything else I might have to do?

16. chrillenilsson March 29th, 2012 1:04 am
  17. chrillenilsson March 29th, 2012 1:10 am

Do I have to do something in Plex Preferences or?

Hmmmm *thinking*

strange this :)

18. chrillenilsson March 29th, 2012 1:17 am

nopp.. nothing is working *pulling my non excisting hair” :)

I soo wanna see and try this… awesome feature

19. jason March 29th, 2012 1:24 am

Does Plex use UPNP to be available to the DLNA device?

20. jason March 29th, 2012 1:44 am

Does this work with XP? I’ve had multiple upnp servers work fine before, but both my dlna device and other apps on iphone are not seeing plex.. any ideas?

21. Dave March 29th, 2012 2:24 am

You need to allow plex through the firewall, then the ps3 will auto detect it. I have three dlna servers running on win7, the Windows’s media player, Playon, and now plex. They all appear on the ps3

22. Nathan March 29th, 2012 3:09 am

This is awesome. I got flex like a week ago because it looked awesome and dlna was in the works. I use the wd live TV so this actually could not be better. Thanks!

23. RckStr March 29th, 2012 3:12 am

Cant see Plex on my PS3 either.

24. shapethelola March 29th, 2012 4:15 am

Sadly, it doesn’t use the selected audio track which I set on the media server. Ive tried it several times now, never took the right one. In addition to that, my Dark Knight mkv 1080p with DTS doesn’t give me any video at all. Still nice work, hope those bugs will get fixed in the near future. Keep up the great work

25. Nate Thelen March 29th, 2012 4:28 am

Will the PS3 bitstream DTS-HD and/or TrueHD from MKVs over DLNA?

26. diamondsw March 29th, 2012 4:44 am

When I used The Unarchiver (my usual tool), it wouldn’t even launch:

3/29/12 9:41:07.191 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0xd2dd2d].com.plexapp.plexmediaserver[69840]) posix_spawn(“/Applications/Extra/Plex Media Server.app/Contents/MacOS/Plex Media Server”, …): Operation not permitted
    3/29/12 9:41:07.192 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0xd2dd2d].com.plexapp.plexmediaserver[69840]) Exited with code: 1

Opening with Mac OS X’s Archive Utility worked. Mentioning it here in case others have the same problem, and submitting the bug to The Unarchiver.

27. Tom March 29th, 2012 4:47 am

I am also having troubles with getting it to show up on my PS3. I have a Mac running Lion, and my network is through a Time Capsule. Would this cause any problems?

28. osplo March 29th, 2012 5:28 am

Will movies and TV shows seen through DLNA be marked as watched?

29. Mikkelsenvinyl March 29th, 2012 5:41 am

I couldn’t see Plex on my PS3 either. Found out, as Elan said, that two DLNA servers can’t be on one computer. On my MacMini, ‘EyeTV share’ was enabled – that was the only problem!

Now also my PS3 ROCKS!!! :-) Thanks PLEX!!

30. Ian March 29th, 2012 5:41 am

Hard to get excited when Netflix and live streams from NASA TV don’t work with the windows server to my mobile devices and remote clients.

31. Brock March 29th, 2012 6:10 am

Now to get it onto the ReadyNAS, let me know if you need a tester for that :)

32. Tryphoon March 29th, 2012 6:15 am

Can’t see the link to the beta?!

33. Jayce March 29th, 2012 6:49 am

Love you plex team!! Works great apart from mkv’s atm. Im guessing it would require a specific profile. Will watched media over dlna be marked as watched on the server btw?

34. Commodore March 29th, 2012 7:36 am

Plex did not show up on my PS3 until I disabled EyeConnect (my previous DNLA server app) in System Preferences. Now it works very well.

Will a resume function be added to videos that have been half-watched?

Also, my LG blurry player plays the subtitles, with no way to turn them off.

Thanks so much guys. I can’t tell you how much I love what you’re doing with Plex.

35. elan March 29th, 2012 7:37 am

@Ian: Hard to know the issue without logs, is there any chance you’re running Windows XP?

36. Chip March 29th, 2012 8:17 am

An another well deserved applaud to the Plex team. Just when I thought life was perfect when you released Plex Channel to Roku, and now this. All of my families devices from one single server.

Thank you!

37. Smultie March 29th, 2012 8:47 am

elan, how come my Plex Media Server won’t transcode my mkvs to my Panasonic P42G20.
    The TV just states “File format not supported”.
    Can’t find a setting in PMS either.

38. Jaap van Ekris March 29th, 2012 8:53 am

Great advance there! Will it support static URI’s for content? I want to use Plex as my central media manager and want to use XBMC as just a smart player (managing content twice ain’t fun, and I want the cool features of Plex). XBMC will only work in library mode if the DLNA URI’s are static (i.e. do not change every time). Is this a feature we can expect?

Jaap

39. mas March 29th, 2012 9:08 am

Elan, this looks good! But most of my media is xvid avi and Plex is trying to transacode these. I’m running on a p4 northwood so it doesn’t have the power to transcode on the fly. PS3 Media Server streams these directly and the PS3 plays them with no problem. How do I setup the dlnaclients xml to direct play these files?

Thanks,

mas

40. Fkick March 29th, 2012 9:30 am

Where in the ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server should we drop the dlnaclienprofiles.xml?

I dropped it right in that directory and cannot get the profiles to load.

Thanks

41. Mike March 29th, 2012 9:31 am

Will Plex ever work reliably for playing movies using my OS X Mac mini HTPC? You remember … that original vision thing?

Huge proliferation of Plex features, but sadly the basics — in my experience — are a mess.

42. elan March 29th, 2012 9:36 am

@Mike: I use Laika 100% of the time for watching movies and TV on my Mini, and besides one time when I ran into the optical audio out thing and had to bring up Audio/MIDI settings to reset it, it’s worked perfectly. Yes, we are aware of bugs, and yes, there will be an update for the app. But I’m not seeing massive amounts of instability.

Unfortunately this is the nature of multi-platform software development. Any time you release for platform A, users of platform B feel left out :)

43. Sander March 29th, 2012 10:50 am

@Andreas: The Sony KDL-W4500 (I got one too) doesn’t support video over DLNA, only audio and photos :(

44. uberman March 29th, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Elan. This looks really awesome. Since I’ll be getting a PS3 probably in a month, this feature could not be available at a more perfect time. I have some questions about the PS3 DLNA however.

1) Are h.264 mkvs direct streamed or direct played on the PS3? What about avi files? Is there a place where we can see supported codecs?

2) For regular Plex clients, you can usually choose a bitrate above which Plex will transcode as opposed to direct stream/play. For DLNA clients is this determined automatically?

Thanks.

45. Norma March 29th, 2012 11:04 am

Agree with Mike, Laika needs more love: remote issues, background music and favourites are gone, audio hickups :( The DLNA thing is really cool, but having a bugfree Laika would be much better :))

46. Nate Thelen March 29th, 2012 11:26 am

@Mike: I use the latest client on both Mac and Windows as our #1 means for watching all our TV and movies and have not really had any problems to speak of. Maybe there is something wrong with your install and you need a clean (re)start?

47. chrillenilsson March 29th, 2012 11:43 am

those of U that actually made it work “PC -> PS3″…
    can U make a step by step, on how U did it?
    Settings and stuff?
    I have not been able to do it… I have PC with Win7

thanks :)

48. dstster March 29th, 2012 12:08 pm

Dlna is not working on our test server running windows server 2008 R2 even when we disable the firewall completely. Is there any chance windows server will be supported in the final version ?

49. elan March 29th, 2012 12:08 pm

@uberman: They are Direct Streamed when possible (remuxed). There is a PS3 page with a list of codecs/format supported. The DLNA client actually has a (slightly hacky) way to set quality settings too :)

50. Chip March 29th, 2012 12:58 pm

Hey guys just an update began using this new server for ps3 couple of issues I am running in to..

#1.) Randomly unknown network error with DLNA

#2.) Unable to retrieve content from server during play after about 15minutes.

Mind you I am running this via local network @ 1.0gbps

Back to PS3 Media Server for time being but I know you guys will get it fixed!! Keep me posted please.

51. elan March 29th, 2012 1:08 pm

@Chip: posting logs for these issues in a forum post would be awesome.

52. Chip March 29th, 2012 1:19 pm

Please revoke my last post and pay no attention!

I just did some digging and another server I am running had a process open that was eatting up bandwidth on the server. All is well now.

Sorry,

Chip

53. Mark_W March 29th, 2012 4:27 pm

Any issues running this on windows home server 2011?

I love playing with media servers and comparing streaming quality, features etc… so this is very exciting.

thanks!

54. MACscr March 29th, 2012 7:16 pm

Forget DLNA, the pic if your dog and the description of what he does are awesome. =P

55. shapethelola March 29th, 2012 10:54 pm

@ Elan : Any idea when the preferred Audio will be used? I selected english on my media server, but it always selects audio track one :/

56. Dave March 30th, 2012 1:03 am

When will the osx beta be available? or did I miss it in the download area???

57. LiNx March 30th, 2012 1:48 am

Just saw this mentioned on Engadget. Won’t be checking it out yet, as I usually watch fansubbed .mkv anime from my PS3 Media Server, but once subtitle support is fully supported I’ll definitely give it a shot! Hopefully when they say “better than you might think possible” that means it’ll fully use the ASS/SSA styling with the fonts originally used in the file, not like PS3MS that sets it to a default font. Either way, like I said, I’ll check it out once subtitle support is built in.

58. Tristan March 30th, 2012 1:49 am

How can I find the wp7 client. I am guessing it is in limited beta?

Can I be added to the beta?

59. Dave March 30th, 2012 2:01 am

needed more coffee. trying it out now.

60. nikolay March 30th, 2012 2:18 am

You are great and becoming more and more the central media “monster” I always dreamed of. Keep up the good work thank you very much.

61. JantarMantar March 30th, 2012 2:22 am

Great. PLEX is making it harder and harder for me to ignore it :)

With DLNA and Roku channel announcements, I think it will provide support for all of my needs. When released, is the PMS beta version for linux expected to run on Fedora linux headless server (www.amahi.org)?

PS: Amahi is cool piece of software, please consider it for your officially supported platform.

62. tweedledee March 30th, 2012 2:57 am

I LOVE YOU!!

63. Steven March 30th, 2012 3:13 am

Just wanted to say I love Plex. I started using it a few months ago when the announcement for this update made Engadget headlines, and just updated it this morning. PS3 play is great, it bugs a little fast forwarding or rewinding, but its still beta so I don’t care. It plays!

For anyone experiencing DLNA errors on the PS3, disable Windows Media services for any Windows boxes that show up next to Plex on the menu.

64. RockerC March 30th, 2012 3:34 am

XML config file for XBMC included would be cool :)

65. JerkyChew March 30th, 2012 4:25 am

Woo-hoo! I’ve always had issues with uPNP playback from my MythTV box on my iPad, even the latest generation, but with this version of Plex + MythicalLibrarian, shows now stream perfectly! You guys rule!

66. Sam Dunham March 30th, 2012 4:34 am

Can’t wait to check this out and compare it to PS3MediaServer.

Incidentally, yes, you can have more than one DLNA server active on a single device and the PS3 will access both of them simultaneously. I had TVersity and PS3MS (and, iirc, WMS at one point) running on my Windows box for a while because each handled certain things better than the other.

67. sukru March 30th, 2012 4:35 am

@elan, actually there can be *more than one* DLNA server per machine. I have WMP (for two different users), Zune, and PlayOn sharing from the same machine (a total of 4), and most show up on most of my devices (Xbox, PS3, and other laptops – Zune only shows up on Xbox).

68. dubprocess March 30th, 2012 5:10 am

thanks for saving me $99 from buying an Apple TV e..my PS3 has just been reinvented thanks to Plex.bye bye PS3 media server and medialink!

69. fleon March 30th, 2012 5:19 am

WP7? Soon please!

70. dbotamos March 30th, 2012 5:25 am

Any ETA on the Linux beta?

71. bvh March 30th, 2012 5:48 am

This is excellent step forward.

Now if the world can convince the big networks (like ABC, NBC) to host/manage DLNA plex servers with their TV series and made-for-tv movies. Hell, leave the commercials in to keep the DRM folks happy.

Ahhh. So much better. No torrents. No NZBs. Just connect and watch when you want; what you want.

72. Aqntbghd March 30th, 2012 6:01 am

@elan > the Laïka optical bug is also affecting me. I think this is a release critical bug and it’s been there for more than 3 month now. Seeing developers spending time putting new features while leaving realease critical bugs untouched is always a bitter experience from the customer/user point of view. Please : take time to fix existing and known critical bugs in your software… It’s like leaving barkley wounded while you play with a new puppy…. :)

73. Michael March 30th, 2012 8:53 am

Will this work with the first edition of Xbox360 or just the newer one?

74. Joe March 30th, 2012 9:58 am

Wouldnt work for me until I turned off eyetv sharing. But sharing is required for the iPhone/iPad app to work. So it’s either one or the other it seems. Choose Dlna or eyetv app control.
    Once it did work, it crashes my sony bdp480 blu ray player when avi files play. Also crashed my Samsung 5000 series tv. Back to ps3 media server for now.

75. Tompa March 30th, 2012 10:08 am

Where can I find the complete changelog for this release?

76. Martin Dalziel March 30th, 2012 2:41 pm

I gotta ask, why do I need this when my Twonky Media Server has been working almost flawlessly for years?

77. elan March 30th, 2012 3:59 pm

@Martin: if you have to ask, you probably don’t need it :) However, you might want it for the awesome library/metadata features, as well as the myPlex features, integration with lots of other clients, and probably lots of other reasons.

78. Joe March 30th, 2012 5:00 pm

Can someone further explain how “myPlex shared content support” is supposed to work, say on a WDTV Live? I have PMS, myPlex and local and non-local clients working already.

I am just not sure how the DLNA client on the WDTV Live is supposed to be able to log into myplex.

Thanks.

79. elan March 30th, 2012 6:06 pm

@Joe: You sign into myPlex via the Plex Media Server. Then the DLNA clients can browse into (e.g.) Video Queue and shared content areas.

80. Pieter March 30th, 2012 9:53 pm

How do I get this to work directly on a television?
    My TV tells me he doesn’t find any server.

81. Pieter March 30th, 2012 10:09 pm

It works now, but I get unsupported file, I think it doens’t recognize the MKV

82. Dave C March 31st, 2012 12:09 am

I had to disable direct play and direct show to allow all of my media to play correctly. With them enabled, most of the content encoded with handbrake with the ATV2 profile would not play smoothly.

83. SimonB March 31st, 2012 12:21 am

I can see the Plex DNLA server, alongside the ReadyNAS DLNA server, but when I browse the system, all the folders and groups are there, but I can’t play any files – I get multiple “File not supported” messages. They play fine from the ReadyNAS DLNA server. I’m looking at the same files, using an Oppo BD-83 Bluray player.

I’m trying to make it easier for my house sitter to access Plex while she’s here, rather than having to use the Max :-)

84. Sling March 31st, 2012 1:29 am

The idea is fantastic. Tested directly on my Samsung HT-d6750w. Unfortunately, like all other solutions dlna moties are loading forever. (wifi)

85. Steven March 31st, 2012 2:54 pm

For anyone getting DLNA errors on the PS3, I solved all the issues and made the browsing via Plex much faster by going with a wired connection. I converted an old router into a wireless bridge, so the connection is still wireless but the PS3 thinks it’s wired. Runs so much better, and no more errors. The wireless on the PS3 just sucks

86. Gustavo March 31st, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey, I was waiting this for a while and was kind of disappointed this first release didnt have subtitles. But, when testing some of my files just magically showed the subtitles on my Samsung TV! Very happy until I found out that the latest ones didnt… so, it seems it’s related to the fact that the old files are .avi with xsub subtitles embedded, while the new ones are .mp4 with no subtitles.
    Didn’t really test it much more but unfortunately all my latest files are .mp4 so I’m still looking forward for subtitle support!

87. elan March 31st, 2012 3:18 pm

@Gustavo: I assume by “.mp4 with no subtitles” you mean there is an SRT file next to it?

88. Cal March 31st, 2012 10:20 pm

You’re the greatest! DLNA…I love it. The picture it sends to my Samsung TV is SUPERB. MUCH better than the job Vuze does.
    Thanks for the beta release. It’s a spectacular first effort.
    (Your dog is pretty cool too.)

89. Gustavo April 1st, 2012 5:41 am

@elan actually I mean .mp4 with no soft subtitle embedded (using Subler). I was expecting that .srt would not be streamed anyway since you mentioned subtitles were not supported. Summary: all my files have .srt together with the videos. The ones with xsub (.avi) embedded show subtitles, the ones with soft subtitles embedded (.mp4) don’t, independing on the external .srt.

90. James Williams April 1st, 2012 12:46 pm

Honestly you guys never cease to amaze me with how much work you put in to everything, we have Plex accessible from almost all of our TVs, laptops, computers and phones and this latest update is just going to open our other devices up, i hardly watch normal television anymore but instead stream whatever i want whenever i want. THANKS!! ;)

91. AD April 1st, 2012 3:52 pm

Will you support mpeg streaming with DLNA? MPEGTS doesn’t seen to work with my toshiba regza. The server is recognized (had to play a bit with the user agent string in dlnaclientprofiles.xml) and i can navigate through files and folders, but i can’t get anything to play.
    I think REGZA TVs only read mpeg2+ac3 in mpeg files
    thanks!

92. Rudy April 2nd, 2012 6:14 am

How do I get this to work on a Sharp Aquos LC-52LE830U via WI-FI, the TV doesn’t find the Plex Server just the Windows Media Player Server on windows XP, do i need to create a profile or what? Thanks.

93. Sammy April 3rd, 2012 11:51 pm

I can’t get it working on the Xbox 360!!!! Please help

94. John April 4th, 2012 12:32 pm

I really enjoy the UI of the plex client but i was wondering if you will come out with an app just for the ps3 that look like the one on the mac and windows?

95. elan April 4th, 2012 12:39 pm

@John: unfortunately the PS3 is not an open platform, so it’s not really possible to do that. Likewise with the Xbox 360.

96. Chillboyx April 4th, 2012 1:10 pm

LOVE IT, having an issue though.

When streaming to my PS3 (Wired), it is steaming everything at 480 resolution

When streaming to my ps3 (wireless) in the living room, it steams movies in their native format. It is CHOKING on 1080p movies and the TV is only a 720p resolution (1080i)
    How can I switch this so the PS3 that is wired plays up to 1080p and the living room maxes out at 720p? Or is it even possible?

97. elan April 4th, 2012 1:14 pm

@Chillboyx: Go to the Preferences submenu (should be the last item on the top-level Plex menu on the PS3) and you can set per-client quality settings.

98. Chillboyx April 4th, 2012 1:31 pm

WHoops, just figured it out. Under videos, go down and you can adjust the settings.

99. Falcao April 4th, 2012 1:38 pm

First, great improvement!!! Living in Brazil just felt lack of support for subtitles, as you’ve commented.
    I was already an old DLNA user … when I discovered the Plex in my new LG TV 55LW5700. In those six months using both (yes, they work together on the same PC): Plex – by its numerous advantages – but only with the LG TV and DLNA in Xbox, DirecTV decoder HR23/700 (TVersity solves well including subtitles on both) , on HT and Media Center (music only in these last two) for compatibility.
    Just tested DLNA on TV but beta works almost perfectly (little troubles navigating in folders) even the choice of my language automatically works fine when in the Plex client of TV does not yet support automatically or manual entry.
    My intentions for the weekend are do test in other devices and start working on XML for the HR23.
    Again, congratulations!

100. Justin April 8th, 2012 4:10 pm

What is the solution for updating content on your Xbox 360? For example: A new show is added to my Plex Server but takes a while to show up on my Xbox. Is there anyway to speed up the process to almost instant? Thanks! Everything else is working great.

101. Alex April 8th, 2012 9:05 pm

Hello Webosfans

It works great with the BHome(a DLNA Client) in My touchpad.

Awesome.

Alex

102. Alex April 8th, 2012 9:07 pm

One further detail.
    I am using an external player (not the one that comes with Bhome) See preferences.
    The best part is that Plex server is not making any transcoding (the touchpad is able to manage 1024p mkvs). So less resources consumed in my Mac Mini

103. elan April 8th, 2012 9:13 pm

@Alex: Very cool, thanks for sharing!

104. Jeff April 10th, 2012 7:59 am

great job you just pissed off a lot of DLNA people, us users love it!!

105. Jay Werner April 10th, 2012 3:29 pm

I have the beta PMS on my WHS 2011 server and it doesn’t show up on either of my hardwired xbox 360′s. My home server shows in the xbox apps but no plex. Made sure firewall was open to plex also. I am trying to play my video TS DVD files that are on my server in a pooled drive folder. Any ideas?

106. iouri April 11th, 2012 4:26 am

I am just starting out wit plex. Some of my home videos play on the samsung HDTV, but one does not (codec not supported). The codecs are video: “DV video (dv )”; audio: “PCM S16 LE (s16l)”. I guess I need to create a client configuration for that. I looked at the XML file; however, I am not sure how I can discover the client name to put in the dlnaclientprofiles.xml or what else to change there – it seems that this format should have been transcoded by default. The default dlnaclientprofiles.xml has three profiles in it – which one is my server currently using with the TV?
    Thanks,
    i.

107. ppson April 12th, 2012 6:05 am

I think I know the answer to this, but just to be sure I’ll ask. Do you have to have a PMS on your local network for this to work? I.e. I can’t connect to my PMS, in town, from my old WDTV Live in the country house?

108. elan April 12th, 2012 8:53 am

@ppson: Yes, exactly. It’s magic, but needs some help :)

109. Dale Dietrich April 13th, 2012 9:47 am

OK, it surprises me the ratio of PS3 to Xbox 360 users on this forum. Two Questions:

1. From what I can gleen from the comments above, if I have Windows Media Center serving up content to my 360 now, the Plex DLNA server won’t work? If that’s true than that’s a deal killer. I’ve spent years organizing my content through WMC and don’t want to lose that functionality.

2. Can someone post a link to step by step instructions on how to set this up with the 360. I haven’t a clue based on everything I’ve read here.

Many Thanks.

…Dale

110. Illico April 16th, 2012 9:18 am

PLEX DLNA media server does not support Sony Bravia 2010 model devices.
    Meantime, suggest serviio.org support more devices.

111. Katy April 21st, 2012 11:41 am

Like Dale above, I’m totally mystified as to how to get this to work on my Xbox 360. Everywhere I look I just see people saying how great it is that it works on an Xbox but nobody says HOW…. Please can anyone direct me to a guide- thanks.

112. Kyler Spruill April 23rd, 2012 9:53 am

I just have to say. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU PLEX!!!!!

In just a few short months you made my media life so so so so so damn simple and easy. I honestly didn’t think there would ever be a 1 software solution to making my media playable on EVERY internet device that I have but YOU HAVE DONE IT.

It all yet YOU HAVE DONE IT!!!!! I SING YOUR PRAISES EVERY DAY!!! I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU!!!

Only thing missing is a web interface where I can stream to a browser. Sometimes I am at a friends and I don’t want to install plex on there machine (rare in fact i install it every chance i get) but it would be nice to just load a web page and watch.

anyways I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU

113. Kurt Strong April 24th, 2012 5:57 pm

Awesome. Working great! had to restart Plex and Ps3. Off to attempt to edit some XML. Thanks again for all your hard work.

114. Paul April 25th, 2012 10:53 am

Ahh… the missing link! This is so truly awesome I can’t even begin to thank you enough. Every other DLNA server I have tried to use on OSX has sucked big time. Now I have my media truly everywhere all nice and neat just the way I like it! I have only spent about an hour playing with it at this point but so far it seems stable and best yet it took zero of my time tweaking anything. Job well done!

115. elan April 25th, 2012 8:39 pm

@Paul: Glad you’re enjoying it, and amusing coincidence, my wife calls me “the missing link” too :)

116. Jakub May 4th, 2012 10:09 pm

Awesome. I would pay for the subtitles support, please!

117. ram1201 May 14th, 2012 8:12 am

I am working on Mac + airport extrem + PS3 and can not get my PS3 to recognize Plex Media Server… I have tried for days but still get below message.
    Any idea what i am doign wrong?

May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] DEBUG – Starting Plex DLNA Server…
    May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] DEBUG – Unique device name = 4d4d34a7-3ef4-7594-8917-be56db309cf9
    May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] DEBUG – DLNA server port: 32469
    May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] DEBUG – PMS: http://10.0.1.29:32400/
    May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] DEBUG – MyPlex: https://my.plexapp.com/
    May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] DEBUG – [PERF] Slowest TransactionScope in 0.035000 ms.
    May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] DEBUG – Reading system DLNA profiles
    May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] DEBUG – No client DLNA profiles found, using only system profiles
    May 14, 2012 20:04:54 [0xace272c0] ERROR – Unable to start UPNP server: -20412

Txs,

Ram1201

118. elan May 14th, 2012 8:54 am

@ram1201: that error implies that something else is running and conflicting, possible a “zombie” DLNA server process? check activity monitor, restart media server.

119. elan May 14th, 2012 8:59 am

@ram1201: also could be known conflict with EyeTV.

120. thunderBucket May 25th, 2012 3:00 am

Hi there!

I suspect that the correct location for the dlna…xml file is critical.

I wonder if anyone could please tell me the path to put the dlnaclientprofiles.xml file I am trying out for my Philips 9000. I find vague indicators like ‘For those who care, just make your own dlnaclientprofiles.xml file in the Plex Media Server application support folder’, but putting it in :Application Support:Plex Media Server doesn’t seem to be finding it (based on the expectation that I’ll see the ‘friendly name’ for the agent in the log). I’m on Mac OS X 10.6.

Also, does anyone have a known working dlna for the Philips 9000 (Thanks, Pieter, I’m trying yours at the moment!)

Thanks in advance… JB

121. thunderBucket May 25th, 2012 3:09 am

Aha! There are two logs:; Plex Media Server and Plex DLNA Server. But you knew that. I didn’t, and I was looking at the wrong one. The client profile is being served! Phase 1 complete.

Phase 2 is a bit more complex, I suspect: The movies can be seen but still can’t be opened.

I have the log and I have the attempt at the dlnaclientprofiles.xml file. Would anyone have the time to look at these and see if there is any clue as to where the problem lies? Please?

Again, Tia
    JB

122. ram1201 May 29th, 2012 7:24 am

i was able to get the DLNA started, looks like it was indeed eyeconnect…

new problem however, since a few days my Plex on the PS3 will not play mkv files anymore (nor will my Sony Bravia). It worked fine until last week. Does anyone have an idea?

I did run an update from Sony on the PS3 but as the Sony also will not play them, i suspect the problem is in Plex.

123. Johnny May 31st, 2012 9:12 am

I have installed PMS on a XP machine (SP3) that has three different user account. After booting up, if my first log in is to the same account that I used when installed PMS (v0.9.5.3), then I can connect to plex from my LG smart-TV (for a moment). But if I log in to another acoount (first or later), PMS will automaticly startup and run (and taking up resourses, as it should) but then nothing happens. I can’t connect to it, I can’t even get the PMS window to popup on the PC. The only way to get PMS to work (for a moment) is to reboot and login to “right” account. Any ideas on what to do??

124. Andrew June 16th, 2012 12:55 am

I love Barkley, he sure is one cool dog! Love Plex too btw!

125. Anna July 29th, 2012 11:58 am

How can I get subtitles to show when I use plex on PS3??

126. Nick August 3rd, 2012 2:18 pm

So I skimmed through a good part of the site, and I’ve one unanswered question… Can it play subtitle files packaged into an MKV? And when I say mkv I mean in general, I have h264s, x264s, h10ps.

127. lejeczek August 20th, 2012 11:23 pm

yes, subtitles and multi-audio MKVs are the real question!
    Does PS3 DLNA client software let you choose language from multi-audio-subtitle MKV files?

128. Justin September 3rd, 2012 4:36 pm

The real question here is when Plex is going to release a stable server application for the PC. Neither internet discovery or localized access work properly right now and honestly I would rather tunnel via web from the same access point and it work across all platforms including the ones I paid 5+ dollars for.

129. elan September 8th, 2012 3:55 pm

@Justin: We’ve fixed a ton of bugs over the last few months, and I think it’s easy to say that the stability has gotten better over time (with the occasional regression, of course). I’m not sure what you mean by “Internet discovery” and “localized access” not working properly. As long as your router cooperates, myPlex should work perfectly. That’s not to say that clients might not have bugs in specific situations, and we’ve heard of discovery issues on networks where multicast doesn’t work, but I’d love to hear more specifics about the issues.

130. cguru September 24th, 2012 7:42 am

@Smultie: Panasonic DLNA sucks. Here is reply from Panasonic, when i asked why it can’t play most of video formats….”Thank you for your e-mail. Please be advised that the Panasonic Viera TV’s DLNA features are tested and guaranteed to work only when connected to a PC running Windows 7 Operating System and the media files are playable through its Windows Media Player (i.e. necessary codecs have been pre-installed).

Also important to note that when streaming video to the TV by DLNA, your Windows 7 PC does the transcoding of the video and audio contents (not the TV). This means that most media contents that can be played by PC’s Windows Media player can be streamed to the TV.

The user must install the appropriate decoder (codecs) so Windows Media Player can play different types of media files to assure playability to the TV. Other setup aside from this, Panasonic cannot guarantee performance.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Viera Concierge Support Team
    Panasonic Canada Inc.”

131. Mikey Mikerton January 25th, 2013 4:50 am

I guess I should read this entire article before I post something. Too late. Well, since I’m here. I have a PS3, want to stream content from my laptop (mainly mkv files) to my TV with a beatiful UI.

132. Daniele Segato February 3rd, 2014 1:48 pm

I have an issue with some video file streaming them via DLNA on Playstation 3.
    The audio playback doesn’t work.. extremely sluggish (from no sound at all to faint noises that resemble the actual sound)
    Works from the web player of my laptop or opening it directly in some player.

Plex identify the media like this:

MEDIA
    Bitrate 256 kbps
    Language 日本語
    Bitrate Mode VBR
    Duration 24:24
    Profile lc
    Sampling Rate 88200 Hz

Plex is installed on a Synology NAS and most of the video play just perfectly both in audio and video through DLNA on my PS3.

Until now this is the only issue I had.

I think this match this direct video profile:

which is usually fine.. I’m pretty sure the issue with this audio codec is its Sampling Rate of 88200 Hz

So I tried defining my own dlnaclientprofile.xml adding this:

In the log I see it being loaded but I have errors:

DEBUG – Reading user client profile dlnaclientprofiles
    ERROR – readPhotoProfile – Missing container attribute
    ERROR – readTranscodeTargets – Unable to read PhotoProfile element
    ERROR – readProfile – unable to read TranscodeTargets element
    ERROR – Unable to read client profile file: /volume1/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles/dlnaclientprofiles.xml

I copied the dlnaclientprofiles.xml located in the /volume1/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/System.bundle/Contents/Resources/dlnaclientprofiles.xml directory of my Synology NAS and modified it.. apparently it is not the actual system profile used cause I didn’t touched the photo part.

Any help?
    Thanks in advance

133. Daniele Segato February 3rd, 2014 2:11 pm

UPDATE: I think I managed to do it…

The error was, as I said, in a part I didn’t touched.. but I changed PhotoProfile codec= … to container=

What made me a little puzzled is that I didn’t wrote that part. Is it possible that ANOTHER file is used as system dlna profile?

134. Daniele Segato February 3rd, 2014 2:12 pm

I forgot to paste what I added:

Inside the CodecProfiles tag

135. Daniele Segato February 3rd, 2014 2:13 pm

Ah.. I’m not forgotting it, it is automatically removed when I post my comments…

Let’s try with some HTML escaping:

<VideoAudioCodec name=”aac”>