Plex Media Server v0.9.5.3 - Plex Blog

Plex Media Server v0.9.5.3

, | 03 Mar 2012 | by 80 Comments

My gosh, it’s been a while.

You’d think I didn’t love writing these posts, or we’ve all been on vacation for a very long time. As usual, however, we’ve been here the whole time, working tirelessly on Plex, and growing our small but ninja-level team of developers. We’re super happy to announce that Tobias (of Plex for ATV2 fame) is joining us full-time; turns out Sweden is not only full of Plex-lovers, it’s also full of incredible engineering talent.

In other news, we’re finalizing the release of our Windows Phone 7 client, about which I’ll blog more shortly (until then, you can watch a sneak peek video). Also coming up is a release of the Plex Media Server which supports DLNA, which means you can access all your content from your Xbox360 or PS3 (yes, including your myPlex Queue and shared content, this is not your parents’ DLNA!). Our friends at GigOM have a sneak peek.

Also, I promise, we will soon switch our attention to the Plex desktop client (Laika) to fix bugs and add some cool new things. I realize some of you are frustrated with the optical audio bug and A/V sync issue, and we’ll get them fixed. (This is the client that’s on my TV every time I use Plex, so it’s near and dear to my heart!)

Lastly, between blog posts, if you’re looking for some love, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or stop by the Plex Chat to say hello! I’m in the chat room most days myself, always happy to meet new and long-time users.

For today, we have a new release of the media server for you, which fixes a number of issues. The release can be downloaded from the usual spot, and we’ll enable autoupdate in a day or two for Mac and Windows. (On Linux, ReadyNAS, QNAP/Cisco and unRAID packages are up, others will follow shortly.)

• NEW: Add a universal font for rendering subtitles with on Windows and Linux. This fixes streaming from Linux not working when subtitles were enabled.
  • NEW: Enhanced selection of audio tracks: if streams are all in the same language (or are all missing a language), apply selection logic for DTS/AC3.
  • FIX: Some media (e.g. MPEG1/2/TS) was not properly generating a thumbnail.
  • FIX: We check to see if public address changes, and if so, notify myPlex.
  • FIX: If the port is manually mapped, the media server never updates myPlex.
  • FIX: Computing “streamability” for MP4 files was totally broken, leading to iOS not Direct Playing them. (You’ll need to rescan the library section or else kick off media analysis via the command line to fix existing files.)
  • FIX: In some cases, the wrong subtitle (internal) was rendered, even when an external subtitle was selected.
  • FIX: On Deck wasn’t correct for shows with multiple episodes on a single day (e.g. two-part finales like that awesome Lost finale that Anna and I are still arguing about).
  • FIX: Filenames are now stored as UTF-8 on the Mac.
  • FIX: A hang on OS X/Linux when spawning a section refresh
  • FIX: Unmatched media wasn’t getting subtitles and cover art files.
  • FIX: Stop ignoring USB drives on Linux; it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it just makes neckbeards angry.
  • FIX: A bug where site config “pause” commands would never continue if a frame load came in during the pause (thanks, Ian!)
  • FIX: A crash when there is no computer name set on OS X.
  • FIX: Various WebKit crashes on Windows.
  • FIX: Increase the iTunes ‘path’ column in the database, required for better I18N support (it was super short).
  • FIX: Tweak to HTTP Live Streaming to make it adhere closer to the spec (and work on a TouchPad).
  • FIX: Better (and much simpler) check for private network connections (details here).
  • FIX: When episodes don’t have indexes (episode numbers), watched/unwatched settings applied to the entire season.
  • FIX: When splitting media, you could end up with a “warning” flag that wouldn’t go away.
  • FIX: Improved WebKit audio sync.
  • FIX: A crash while updating the library.

We’ll be back soon with more news and releases, but for now I’ll leave you with a photo of the official Plex mascot, Mr. Barkley.

IMG 0730

1. Francois March 3rd, 2012 11:27 pm

Sweet :-)
    Always enjoying these posts!

2. Chris Allen March 3rd, 2012 11:39 pm

Hats off to you guys and a big congrats to Tobias! Great stuff!

3. Tobias March 3rd, 2012 11:40 pm

I am really happy to be able to join the Plex Team and give you guys even more fun features!

Two ubuntu notes on this release: it will now allow you to restart the computer from the menus, stupid bug in the install script. It also adds a plex media manager item to your ubuntu menus now. Please try it out and hit me up on twitter (@tobiashieta) if you have any linux related problems with this release :)

4. Nic March 3rd, 2012 11:49 pm

When you say: FIX: Computing “streamability” for MP4 files was totally broken, leading to iOS not Direct Playing them. (You’ll need to rescan the library section or else kick off media analysis via the command line to fix existing files.)

Do you mean a “turbo scan”, “deep scan”, or “force refresh”? It isn’t clear in your text. If it is “force refresh”, does the command line option offer something different to fix the problem with MP4 files without force refreshing media data?

Otherwise, thanks as always for an awesome product!

5. elan March 4th, 2012 12:00 am

6. Ryan March 4th, 2012 12:28 am

Hi

I love plex and i use every day in my media room.
    But i can’t see my queue items from youtube in my latest mac mini.
    It works with my pc and my 2010 macbook air.

Pls help

Greetings Ryan

7. SimonTP March 4th, 2012 2:42 am

@Elan, i tried what u suggested and im getting alot of these:
    Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected.
    Is that anything i should be concerned about?

8. Adam March 4th, 2012 4:12 am

Wonderful update. downloading now.

9. @bushwilliams March 4th, 2012 4:24 am

Excellent, I have converted to the Google TV version as it had simplified my life even more not having to switch from TV to Mac and back, you guys rock!

10. Jeff March 4th, 2012 4:49 am

Will the upcoming server release with DLNA support run on OSX as well as windows? If so that would be killer. I could use my FiOS box to access Plex content

11. s0ja March 4th, 2012 4:56 am

Uhm since when does the Xbox 360 support DNLA? On the DNLA page, it is not listed.

12. erik March 4th, 2012 5:07 am

What’s the equivalent command for Linux to perform the media analysis?

13. Frederik March 4th, 2012 5:36 am

Thanks for the update, Elan (and the rest of the Plex team). Might want to remove that Lost spoiler from the changelog though; sucks for people who haven’t watched it to have it spoiled. I’ve already seen it (and loved it), but others might not have.

14. elan March 4th, 2012 6:07 am

@erik: It’s the same on Linux, you just need to make sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH points to the Plex install directory.

@s0ja: Since quite a while.

@Jeff: Yep!

@TimonTP: Nope, just warnings.

@Ryan: Make sure you’re successfully signed into myPlex in the desktop client preferences, you need to login on both server and clients.

15. Nick March 4th, 2012 6:18 am

Good… My HDTV should support DLNA, I guess I can bypass the aTV now.

16. SimonTP March 4th, 2012 6:22 am

@erik: Here is the script i use to set all needed exports and scan:

[/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/PlexMediaServer] # cat scan.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
    export LC_ALL=”en_US.UTF-8″
    export LANG=”en_US.UTF-8″
    export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR=”/root/Library”
    export TMPDIR=”/root/Library/tmp”
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/PlexMediaServer
    ulimit -s 3000
    ./Plex Media Scanner-nojemalloc –generate –section 1

Where /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/PlexMediaServer is my Plex dir on my Qnap Nas.

17. erik March 4th, 2012 6:31 am

@elan

Tried that, and it isn’t recognizing any of my sections. I’ll report in the forums. Thanks!

18. Pete March 4th, 2012 6:58 am

Elan, firstly….”soon switch our attention to the Plex desktop client (Laika) to fix bugs”???…I’m sure you said in the foam the DTS fix was being worked on…..?? Secondly, instead of a Mac Client release with “cool new things” could we just hold off on new features for a minute and fix the bugs first.
    A solid bug-free point release with the current features would be better than a few bug fixes and some new features with associated new bugs.
    Fix it first….then pimp it….. PLEASE
    The Wife-o-meter needs a bug free release……2 months of no movies is killing my marriage ;-)
    Thanks for all your work and good news for Tobias…his ATV client (and speed of bug fixing) rocks. I hope the ATV isn’t going to suffer from his “loss” !!

19. elan March 4th, 2012 7:06 am

@Pete: yes, we’ve already done some work on Laika, but we will be switch our attention more fully and with more resources :) We’ll save your marriage, don’t worry.

20. Nick March 4th, 2012 8:32 am

How would one go about getting the new PMS to work with the 360? Do I need to download the plexapp or do we trick it into thinking plex is a windows media center?

21. Salil March 4th, 2012 8:38 am

PlugIns!!! My little brother (elan wannabe) tells me it isn’t an issue with Plex, but plugins work inconsistently. Netflix especially. Client on the server machine, np, other clients on separate machines, not so much.

As always, Plex is great and I want shares before you IPO!!!

22. enjoyfebruary March 4th, 2012 10:08 am

Can’t wait for the WP7 client!

23. Amos March 4th, 2012 10:21 am

Seriously? You put a spoiler for an entire series in your patch notes for a product used by TV and movie buffs? Did you just assume you were the last person on the planet to watch Lost? And then you even ignored the helpful post that pointed out your faux-pas. Nice. Thanks a lot.

24. daiei27 March 4th, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks, guys! Looking forward to the Laika update (specifically for the A/V sync issues), but I have to say the photo of Barkley made me laugh. Cute photo!

25. Spx March 4th, 2012 11:30 am

I hoped they fixed the sleep issue finally but no :(

26. Pete March 4th, 2012 3:42 pm

Elan,
    Thanks mate, keep up the good work!!

27. Jay March 4th, 2012 6:07 pm

DLNA!?!?!?! Wow! That is so awesome for you guys to add.

Thanks!!

28. Angelo Alberico March 4th, 2012 6:14 pm

Congrats on snagging Tobias! Hopefully you’ll allow him out of his cage long enough to continue his great contributions for the AppleTV client!

29. boris March 4th, 2012 8:48 pm

If you guys could put back in the ability to browse the library just by path and filename, that would be swell.

30. dals March 4th, 2012 9:49 pm

I’m waiting for the Mac desktop (Laika) update. About 90% of my recently added movies do not play in 5.1 audio and only play the background audio. A lot of files skip through and are unwatchable, plus without audio. I switch to the old PLEX 9.3 and they all work fine. I have Mac mini 2010 to 5.1 surround and that goes to an LED tv. I know it’s Laika because everything works on the previous 9.3.4 of plex.

31. John March 5th, 2012 1:02 am

Crossing my fingers for screensaver support.
    Would love for our Picasa pictures to be shown again….

32. Arcad March 5th, 2012 4:09 am

Quote: “@Nic, sorry for the imprecise language! There is no option to perform media analysis from the UI yet, for now you’ll have to use a command line invocation of the Plex Media Scanner using the –generate option (e.g. …Plex Media Scanner –generate –section 1).”

I thought “generate” regenerates thumbnails and fanart. Does it also scan the media as well?

33. Atom March 5th, 2012 6:35 am

I sooo agree with boris. A quick way to view files from a simple path/filename file list would make viewing other content that doesn’t play well with the Server app would be grand. THE biggest functionality that I miss from the ‘old days’. Pretty please bring it back?

The current add source feature doesn’t even show a thumbnail in my client. Being able to make a root level source of random content in file list view that doesn’t have to have anything other then the ability to click the file in the list to view would be swell, say Christmas Movies, MMA, Mr. Barkley, etc. on the home page would give it a great custom feel and ease of use we came to love in Plex. Seriously, please reconsider? Thanks!

34. Stefan March 5th, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks for a really good work with The Plex Media Server. But the question is when comes the support for Diskstation with Arm processor??

35. Jayce March 5th, 2012 8:59 am

REALLY looking forward to the DLNA feature. No need to buy an extra mac mini now (or no hurry since i do like the skinable features of Plex). Great job guys!

36. Hassan March 5th, 2012 11:20 am

Not to sound like a moaner or ungrateful, but it seems like you guys are spending too much time trying to get Plex to as many platforms as possible (which is cool), but I wish you would just fix a few bugs that have been driving me crazy in Plex Media Server. I’ve reported them on numerous occasions in the forums for months now, but nothing has ever been done about it.

The main bug is that PMS does not scan for local media art when gathering meta data for TV Shows. It works fine for movies, but ignores any local art you place in the relevant folders with TV Shows. I have over 257 TV Shows in my collection, and I really don’t want to have to go through every show manually and select the right Poster and Fanart for each one.

The 2nd bug is more of a cosmetic one. PMS on Lion has a ugly white scrollbar down the right hand side of the screen which is always present. When Lion was released, Apple changed the way the OS deals with scrollbars and it seems it is slightly incompatible with PMS.

Also please let me know if there is a better way to report bugs like these, because it seems as though adding posts to the forums doesn’t yield any answers or solutions, and bugs get ignored. :-(

37. mawood40 March 5th, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: You’ll need to rescan the library section or else kick off media analysis via the command line to fix existing files.

I back-revved my iPad to Plex 2.1 because of the bug in Direct Play/Streaming. I was happy to read that this bug was fixed in this latest server version. Problem is… after taking the update, it still doesn’t work. I did a “force refresh” for every section in my library. I then took the 2.2 Plex client update on my iPad but I still see poor video quality. The details for how to perform a command line media analysis was not clear to me. Can you explain to me like you might explain to your Mom how to do it? What does it mean to “fix my files”? I didn’t know they were broken. Also, if this is a required step for everyone to take in order for the bug to be fixed, why can’t it be perform by the new version of the application when it first starts?

38. daiei27 March 5th, 2012 4:41 pm

I don’t know how official your DLNA support is, but perhaps you should spread your name around like everyone else (*cough* XBMC *cough*): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance#DLNA-certified_products

39. Gustovier March 5th, 2012 9:06 pm

Elan, you guys are awesome, but COME ON, did you really just put a spoiler for lost in the release notes!! I was on like season 3 and now I don’t want to watch it at all anymore.. Please remove so you don’t ruin it for other people.

40. jensu March 6th, 2012 1:55 am

great to get a new version with a lot of fixes, thx a lot!
    what i miss a bit is some improvement regarding PHOTO sections. this kind of section is almost useless in the current state, no filters available (the year does not work), no keywords used (depends also on the iOS client e.g., hope “soon” which i’ve read in the forum weeks ago for the next update will not take much longer).
    and on the mac client (affects all the clients) i still miss the ability from plex 8 to hide unwatched movies/episodes in any sub section. i do not believe that it’s too hard to get all tables from the pms and join them to get a selection defined by more than one filter. i realy would like to hide the page “All, Unwatched, …”.
    i just wanted to let you now what i would like to get into on of the next updates :)
    thanks for this great piece of software, using it every day.
    cheers… jens

41. deloco March 6th, 2012 3:05 am

Nice! At the moment I run Plex Media Server and Serviio as a DLNA-Server to serve up my media directly to my Samsung TV. Very nice, indeed!

42. David March 6th, 2012 7:26 am

great work on the updates! this really is the #1 media software

43. elan March 6th, 2012 10:11 am

Lost fake spoiler removed, but trust me, I didn’t ruin it :-)

44. JR March 6th, 2012 5:03 pm

Hey Elan,

Normal that since upgrading to 0.9.5.3, my Plex (Laika) is no longer showing any thumbnails for on deck / recently added shelves? I know this was an issue in the past with running an “old” version of PMS.. Thumbs show fine in the actual sections.

Removed Plex (and Application Support dir),same deal.

45. elan March 6th, 2012 6:06 pm

@JR: No, that’s not normal.

@Atom/boris: definitely noted, we want to address this.

46. rod March 6th, 2012 6:11 pm

I appreciate the work and in general like plex, but I have to agree with Pete, being a long time user, I would like to see fixes for the playback issues in the client before adding more new features.

47. xain09 March 7th, 2012 4:07 am

Nice. And Thanx for all the work. Where would I be without you guys? Nowhere!

48. Turbid March 7th, 2012 6:29 am

Please change item in linux-menu from gnome-open to x-www-browser. gnome-open not install on kde, lxde etc

49. Raketemensch March 7th, 2012 11:02 am

Pandora? Anyone? Anyone?

50. TheJSN March 7th, 2012 7:41 pm

Hey elan and plex team, just wanted to say thanks for a great product, I’ve recently converted my whole house to plex based and it’s really great. Thanks for fixing the thumbs in mpeg! 1 question

Is there a way in a config xml to define/change the default (Recently added/released) duration. ie. if I want it to be 120 days instead of 30 or 60 days.?

51. elan March 7th, 2012 9:32 pm

@TheJSN: Not at the moment, but one of these days we’ll add lots of advanced knobs and allow tweaking :)

52. Patrick March 8th, 2012 5:42 am

Hey elan, you posted FIX: Some media (e.g. MPEG1/2/TS) was not properly generating a thumbnail.

I have 3 seasons of a tv show that are MKV files. It pulls all the text information from thetvdb (no image attached to episode on thetvdb) but the thumbnail is solid gray. I’ve tried removing, trashing, and re-adding the media, but still no luck.

Any workaround without converting the files or creating thumbnails manually?

53. elan March 8th, 2012 10:36 am
  54. Jordan March 8th, 2012 2:32 pm

Tobias, you rock! Thanks for the hard work on the Linux client, the new features / bug fixes are awesome. I have been a Ubuntu server user for a while now, and i’ve just been working around the plex bugs on the server so far, so this helps a lot! Keep up the good work everyone!

55. GeoFerret March 9th, 2012 5:27 am

Amazing stuff team! I have been showing off Plex to people forever now but it just keeps getting better. A Mac mini, Google TV, and an Apple TV are full-time Plex machines… and soon my PS3?! Awesome.

56. Matt March 9th, 2012 5:46 am

Looking forward to the next gen of the mac client. I also understand that there are different people working on different items so it make sense that platform development can happen before bug fixes. Keep up the good work!

57. Romin March 9th, 2012 10:08 am

Plex team, thank you for a great product, have a question. I have Plex set up on my Pc, and trying to watch movies on my Apple Tv. but I keep getting buffering. What is the best way to fix this? Thanks again for a great work.

58. Matt March 9th, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Élan, just wondering if the next client release is going to fix WTV h.264,playback issues please? I get sound but no picture. I’m presuming it’s a codec problem?

Thanks for great software, with the above fixed I can use it full time then :)

59. Patrick March 10th, 2012 9:55 am

I’m also confused about the rescan part. The command line suggestion didn’t make sense to me, I’m using a Mac, does that matter, or is this a Linux/Windows thing?

60. Dweiknia March 10th, 2012 2:39 pm

Lg media link stopped working

61. elan March 10th, 2012 4:24 pm

@Patrick: You need to use the command line on all platforms, the re-analysis isn’t currently supported from the manager UI.

62. Cafeine March 12th, 2012 3:15 am

Nice update but I still have that bug in the media manager : most of the time the gfx interface goes dead on me. I can scroll but nothing happens. The list interface is OK. Annoying. :/

If I switch between list mode and pic mode, I will have pic back but just the 1st row, scrolling will not work. Well, it does scroll but the pics are frozen…

63. Saurabh March 12th, 2012 7:19 am

@elan: can u tell me how connect the channels directory via a proxy server using authentication???
    loved your software just cant use the channels directory… do suggest some solution.

64. Stefan March 12th, 2012 7:33 am

Is Auto-Update still not available? It keeps telling me that v0.9.5.2 is the newest version.

65. Steve L. March 12th, 2012 10:11 am

Elan or other devs, would you guys please consider giving us a menu option to change the seek time when we press the left and right arrows? The current seek times make it really difficult to skip commercials, title sequences, etc. I would love to be able to set them to a custom number of seconds. Also, being able to edit the up and down arrow times would be great too.

66. elan March 12th, 2012 3:49 pm

@Steve: afaik you can modify the skip times in advancedsettings.xml. If you look around on the forums/wiki you should be able to find more information on it.

@ Cafeine: I’m not familiar with that bug; it’s likely that PMS would require the faster GFX card on a laptop, so if it’s getting switched, it might stop working.

67. Steve L. March 12th, 2012 4:18 pm

Elan, thanks for your reply. I have tried all those advanced settings tweaks, but they never seem to change the seek times. I feel like maybe the switch to Laika may have broken it, but it’s possible that I’m not doing it right.

68. elan March 12th, 2012 5:28 pm

IIRC, and I may not be, the location of the advancedsettings.xml file changed in Laika. Stop by Plex Chat and see if you can catch a ninja, someone who will know better than I will :)

69. lukejr March 13th, 2012 12:13 am

Excellent update guys. Waiting for the Mac client update to fix the surround sound issues. Look forward to it.

70. Jorik March 13th, 2012 8:55 am

Once again a great update! Can’t wait till you guys add FWD/FFWD to the music section. Or seek function. For the moment still unable to skip parts of live sets :-)

Keep up the good work!

71. Junior March 13th, 2012 9:26 am

I’m having trouble with stuttering after updating to this server. I’m not 100% sure that Plex is the issue, but it likely is. Is there anyway to roll back to the previous version?

72. Cafeine March 14th, 2012 12:43 pm

@elan: I’m using a Mac Mini Server from 2010. But it did work. It’s really weird… :x

73. sGun March 16th, 2012 10:34 am

Love Plex. Favorite piece of software ever. Still using 0.9.3.4 however as aac 5.1 audio is still out of sync. Would love this to be fixed as many plugins do not work with the legacy server. Anyway keep up the good work.

74. Sulla March 19th, 2012 9:50 am

Hey guys – amazing work :) but the wife-o-meter requires me to continue to use the pre-laika release cos Laika doesnt work with applescripts, and hence cant use my Harmony remote control. For some strange reason all the /xml files were totally changed in laika :(

Would love to use the new versions, but until the Harmony issue is fixed I cant use it or I’ll have call a lawyer for divorce proceedings..

please please – HELP :)

75. Dave Crowe March 20th, 2012 12:35 am

Is there a way to play .dvdmedia (RipIT) or .iso files? I would like to leave our TV shows intact with the menus but Plex seems to be missing this function. Any help is appreciated and my kids thank you for the great itouch app that lets them watch “the clone wars” on their iTouches. Best 4.99 we spent last year.

76. balders March 20th, 2012 1:40 am

which directory does Plex Media Scanner reside in on linux? nothing in the various wikis about this :/

77. Mike March 24th, 2012 3:17 pm

Can’t wait for DNLA support.

78. cbDejaVu March 27th, 2012 2:34 am

@Sulla: I’m not sure what, if anything, the applescripts have to do with the Harmony remote control. I’ve been running Laika pretty much since it was released and it works fine with my harmony remote, just have to make sure in the system settings have the harmony remote setup as the input.

79. hawkwood March 28th, 2012 6:43 am

Has DVD playback been re-added/fixed? I know it’s “old media” but still…

80. Marco™ March 28th, 2012 7:48 pm

First of all thanks for the greatest app on the market. Finally (your announcement is now 4 weeks ago) DLNA support! Any news on the progress of that? When will it see the light? I’m almost checking this site every day now for the new version.

Can’t wait!