Plex Media Center v9.5.2 ~ Smoked Wild Boar Edition - Plex Blog

Plex Media Center v9.5.2 ~ Smoked Wild Boar Edition

| 28 Nov 2011 | by 88 Comments
There are lots of goodies in this release, but never before have I felt that one small image had the potential to bring such great joy to our users as this one:
Plex
That’s right, our good friend Ryan took a break from saving people’s lives to add refresh rate switching. On TVs that support it, this means perfect 24p playback with nary a shudder, judder, or stutter. I have an old Sony TV set and it works great, taking under a second to switch rates. (You may need to have to use something like SwitchResX to add the refresh rate to your TV.)
Similarly pleasing, we’ve fixed the issue where video playback was taking much more CPU than the last release. VC-1, H.264, and all other codecs will now be at the same or lower CPU usage in this version of Laika.
We’ve also addressed an issue many have reported with the media server not being found, or being found only to be lost again. We’re still tracking down the root cause, but for now, if you’re having trouble, simply enter the address of your server in the network preferences.
Plex 1
Here is a full list of changes:
  • NEW: [Mac] Support for automatic refresh rate switching. And there was much rejoicing.
  • NEW: Add a way to specify a manual address for a media server, useful for working around network issues.
  • NEW: When running without a server, search now returns cloud results.
  • NEW: Add a global audio delay setting.
  • FIX: CPU usage for software decoding greatly reduced for all codecs, fixing VC-1 “stutter” issue and playback on older machines.
  • FIX: Allow selecting interface language in preferences.
  • FIX: Enable down-mix volume boost preference.
  • FIX: Enable speaker configuration preference.
  • FIX: A hang in the home screen.
  • FIX: Losing a server even though it was running on the same machine.
  • FIX: Not enough buffering (and therefore playback issues) with remote transcoded media.
  • FIX: Toggling full screen works on multi-display setups.
  • FIX: Allow ESC to get out of a playlist.
  • FIX: Add missing strings for shutdown timer.
  • FIX: Change the audio settings dialog to show delay in milliseconds, it seemed more human-friendly.
  • FIX: Crash clicking the “save as default” button in video settings.
  • FIX: Make sure we stop remote transcodes when stopping playback.
  • FIX: Update ffmpeg, fixes some artifacts with VC-1 and several other issues.
  • FIX: Stop printing myPlex tokens to the logs.
  • FIX: “Old-school” sources were disappearing after a restart.
  • FIX: Posters/art weren’t changing when changed on the media server.
  • FIX: Don’t play theme music if music is already playing or if video is playing in small window.
  • FIX: Background music volume is always VERY LOUD (preference works now).
  • FIX: [Mac] A crash when playing Flash/Silverlight videos followed by non-WebKit video.
  • FIX: [Mac] Flash/Silverlight video occasionally displayed black & white garbage on the screen.
  • FIX: Info button on iOS toggles OSD, and back button works as well.
  • FIX: Multiple crashes when skipping around in videos.
  • FIX: [Win] Crash on startup.
  • FIX: [Win] A randomly occurring hang.

This release brought to you by the ever-vigilant, hyper-loyal, best friend of man and woman, Mr Barkley.

390414 10100253005257235 427824 48260815 1501583385 n

1. Jon November 28th, 2011 9:46 pm

I love you. Every friggin’ one of you. Thank you SO MUCH!

2. Sascha November 28th, 2011 9:54 pm

Wait…. did you just say refresh rate switching? AWESOME!

3. elan November 28th, 2011 10:00 pm

No, I said REFRESH RATE SWITCHING!!!! Or I should have. That’s how much I’ve been enjoying using the feature :-)

4. Jefferson November 28th, 2011 10:04 pm

Any chance of fixing digital audio out not working over toslink when you switch movies/shows?

5. chander November 28th, 2011 10:16 pm

Finally! Will be deeply testing automatic refresh rate. Thanks for updating ffmpeg, it’s the most important part of a media server!

6. ck November 28th, 2011 10:18 pm

Thank you for your great work! Loving Plex more and more each day. (and it’s already been a couple if years)

7. OA-5599 November 28th, 2011 10:30 pm

I feel somehow the need to say: I love you, I really do. This is so awesome, that I cannot believe it. My Panasonic receives the 24hz input right away when launching a 24p movie, switching back to 60hz when stopping it, and uses 50hz when watching TV recordings (PAL) etc… this makes Plex the no. 1++ mediacenter avail on the market – even though it was no. 1 before this feature, this is like pulling a Steve-O…

8. mrklaw November 28th, 2011 10:50 pm

Wow, very cool.

Can you fix audio over HDMI too? Think I’ve given up on apple fixing it ;)

9. radar November 28th, 2011 11:05 pm

Hello,

it seems that the ‘sleep’ function works. Thanks.

10. Stefan November 28th, 2011 11:16 pm

wow, refresh rate switching? great news!!

now, the only thing missing in Laika is the link between plex and system volume.

many thanks!

11. Simo November 28th, 2011 11:32 pm

@Elan – there goes the value of my Barkley collectable! ;)

12. Vercingétorix November 28th, 2011 11:41 pm

Is thhe reresh rate settings in the new version (for mac) the same as the one in the Win version?

13. Mats November 29th, 2011 12:07 am

Simply wonderful. The cpu fix made my day (and week, and weekend, and forthcoming months). You just saved Christmas!

Barkley for Santa!

14. limbo November 29th, 2011 12:15 am

hi there
    thanks very much for this update, yeah baby you f***ing rock!
    but im really really missing the function, to shutdown my mac directly from plex! in the old plex version, “shutdown the computer” was a submenu of Quit.. i hate to move out of bed, just to shutdown my mac after watching a movie..

another thing i’d love to see, is a “play movie and shutdown” function.. so i can watch a movie, and after watching, plex will shutdown the computer.. so if i fell asleep, the computer will shutdown after playing and if i dont fell asleep, i didnt watch another movie =)

and sure i’ll donate for this functions..
    thanks

15. mitah November 29th, 2011 1:29 am

good release… refresh rate switching was much needed…

still, some major things are still missing… not major in the sense of huge, but in the sense of so simple is a PITA that this hasn’t been fixed… 24-hour clock still not working, clock still not showing in pause-menu/player-menu… plot is still displayed for paused tv shows even if the option is set to not display the plot… I realize this is only small skin stuff, but it is ANNOYING…

still, I love the work you have done with PLEX and look forward to future developments

16. elan November 29th, 2011 1:49 am

@mitah: unfortunately, only a limited number of hours in a day :) as long as we’re heading in the right direction, we’ll eventually get there.

17. MWitt November 29th, 2011 1:53 am

Great work, as always!

18. DeanDMX November 29th, 2011 1:58 am

Refresh rate switching is great and all but what about the features that were removed in the last version. Such as linking Plex’s volume to the system volume and pressing the menu button on an Apple remote NOT switching back to Plex?

19. elan November 29th, 2011 2:10 am

@DeanDMX: System volume linking will be added back at some point. The Apple Remote issue is an Apple bug in 10.7.2 as far as I understand. Sadly, it’s impossible to make everyone happy, as hard as we try :)

20. MichaelW November 29th, 2011 2:34 am

YES!!! Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! YES!!!

21. Danny November 29th, 2011 2:38 am

Am I the only one who still watches DVDs? Looks like the missing DVD option is still missing from this update? I hope that gets thrown back in sometime soon, otherwise thank you for the wonderful app.

22. K November 29th, 2011 2:53 am

Does this update for the Plex client include auto-update for feature releases?

Thanks for your hard work, I love it!

23. syncopation November 29th, 2011 3:44 am

Should I see sparkle integration in the Client as well? The Server has it, but the client has now menu entry “Check for updates”.

I love limbos suggestion of 1) shutting down the mac via client menu and 2) adding watch movie and shut down mac.

Great ideas :)

24. deloco November 29th, 2011 4:31 am

Awesome!
    Plex just gets bett and better!
    I really need a new TV and a Plex-Device-Thingy… My old CRT just isn’t eniugh for this beauty…

25. Richhy November 29th, 2011 5:03 am

Hi, congratulations on the new release. Some good fixes!
    However, I cannot play any .iso files at all with Laika. I have tried to troubleshoot this in the forums with little success. Is this a bug? Are .iso files supported in Laika? If not will they be in the near future?

26. Rachel Greenham November 29th, 2011 6:57 am

Switches to 24fps fine for 24fps content. (Yay. Closer to being able to switch to it from xbmc on linux)

OK, oddly, the first 25fps content I tried didn’t switch it to 50Hz, and i was about to moan about that, but everything else I subsequently tried at 25fps does switch, so there must be something odd about that one thing. That investigation may have to move to a forum post.

Suggest an option to set a pause delay on playback when a refresh rate change occurs. I think the time taken to actually switch is going to be TV-dependent, and what I’m finding at the moment is that playback starts (i can hear it) before the TV has finished switching. XBMC has this option on other platforms where it can switch refresh rate at all. Pretty-please? :-)

Slightly different matter:

Playback of interlaced content is *better* – it uses vdadecoder now, so doesn’t fall horribly behind, but I think it’s implicitly simple-deinterlacing it even when interlacing is set to none. By which I mean: Information shows it playing at the full-frame frame rate (ie: 30fps rather than 60fps, or 25fps rather than 50fps). And is presumably merging the fields, so combing artifacts are seen in their full glory. :-) XBMC on Linux plays at full 60fps/50fps and even though i’m in a progressive tv mode, looks perfect. (Only matters for the few things I have that i couldn’t deinterlace/detelecine satisfactorily and had to keep interlaced).

But yeah, *much* closer to making my mac the media box now. :-)

27. Rachel Greenham November 29th, 2011 7:19 am

actually the one that failed to switch – mediainfo reports it’s 12.5000 fps, which is bizarre. I’ll have to rip that again I think, with a newer version of the encoder. (It *looks* OK played on linux so guessing it’s a (probably since-fixed) bug in writing the header info that I expect this is depending on)

28. vodkanockers November 29th, 2011 7:22 am

thx! but one big feature of laika is still useless to me:
    watching added videos from the queue in the mac client.
    why cant it stream from youtube? no video at all

29. Fantasio November 29th, 2011 9:05 am

awesome job !

30. aaa November 29th, 2011 9:54 am

THANKS

+1000 FOR THE TEAM

31. Boron78 November 29th, 2011 10:27 am

This is awesome! This is the best update ever! You made my day!

32. Ryan Christensen November 29th, 2011 10:29 am

“FIX: Enable speaker configuration preference.” This is AMAZING! My 5.1 surround setup works now! Thank you so much Plex team!

33. SteeBro November 29th, 2011 10:36 am

Works like a charm!
    Awesome release and it finally plays all my movies without stuttering again!!
    Love u guys!

34. Kevin November 29th, 2011 11:28 am

Do plugins work at all with the new client? I connected my Plex client (mini) to my Plex Media Server (iMac) and installed the MTV plugin. When I started to play a video, Plex client crashed and the audio could be heard on the Plex Media Server.

Do I need to have local installs of the plugin on each client?

35. jedi November 29th, 2011 12:14 pm

Great improvement over 0951 (client and server) for Mac.

Would still like sleep, shutdown and quit back in the menu rather than having to chose one.

Adding a video channel source works now (doesn’t disappear on quit).

Mac Remote integration isn’t 100% as sometimes it changes the volume or launches itunes.

Scroll speed is still slower than 0934.

Does the Ubuntu 1104 deb work on Debian, or could it be repackaged manually by picking it apart, or are there statically-linked blobs in there? Still wanting to use my Linux fileserver as the PMS instead of the MacMini.

36. Ronny November 29th, 2011 12:26 pm

Tnx for this great release, the lower cpu load is what i been waiting for, saves the fan and batteri drain on my Mac air, keep up the great work

37. ElementML November 29th, 2011 2:00 pm

Great release guys! You fixed a number of issues high on my priority list, and I love that Plex now supports refresh rate switching now.

One question re: manually specifying the PMS server address if you don’t mind. I turned off MyPlex and pointed my Plex client directly at my media server under a variety of configurations – one using the DynDNS hostname, one using the public IP, and one using the private IP while connected to my LAN via VPN. I have my router configured to forward port 32400 to my server. Things appear to work as expected with the private IP and VPN, but not with the public IP or hostname. Is this the result of an implementation decision, or should it work from the WAN provided that routers etc are configured properly?

38. elan November 29th, 2011 4:45 pm

ElementML: That is an implementation decision, for security reasons we disallow token-less access from remote networks. There is an advanced setting you can tweak to allow it, but I don’t recommend it :)

39. ElementML November 29th, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks Elan, I appreciate the quick response and all of your hard work on Plex.

Your decision certainly makes sense, especially if username/password authentication has been deprecated completely in favor of tokens. It sounds like the only viable options then for accessing the PMS from outside the network are MyPlex (obviously) or VPN and connecting directly to the private IP.

In the VPN-based configuration, i’m assuming that since the client thinks it’s on the same local network as the PMS it won’t attempt to do any transcoding. Is there any way to force transcoding in this scenario via config file or similar? I ask because I think ideally i’d like to VPN into my network rather than use MyPlex (mostly because my router doesn’t properly support UPnP, and i’d prefer not to keep 32400 open to the world if I can help it) but without transcoding support that’s a non-starter.

Cheers,
    Mark

40. Zac North November 29th, 2011 6:36 pm

Did you fix the issue with No Metadata Agents? Please, I’m literally begging at this point, tell me you fixed the issue with No Metadata Agents. :P

41. JayTee November 29th, 2011 9:43 pm

Excellent release! Playing 1080p on my pretty dated Mac Mini is for the first time running great .. even my test sequence (Life first episode .. with the dolphins) is running smoothly. It has been a long time that I was so pleased with a new release.

A far as integration possibilities … it would be great if it would be possible to assign user commands to volume up and down .. so you can control your amplifier …as this is normally the only thing you want to change during playback of a movie…

Thanks all for the great work!

42. elan November 29th, 2011 10:06 pm

ElementML: I’ll add that feature request into our issue tracker, I think it’s reasonable not only for your setup, but for others on poor Wi-Fi or on super-thin (like, supermodel thin) clients.

43. Per November 29th, 2011 10:44 pm

Great release! When “link to system volume” reappears (and perhaps an option to hide the shelf) I’ll be set for life :)

44. Henrik K November 30th, 2011 2:01 am

I’m going straigh home to test this one!
    If this version fixes my stuttering issues, then a donation is definately coming your way!

45. Dan November 30th, 2011 4:49 am

Great release! Any change of making this Leopard compatible again?

46. ElementML November 30th, 2011 5:58 am

Elan: Great, thanks again!

47. jedi November 30th, 2011 6:59 am

is there a fix for the apple remote changing the volume instead of moving up/down the menus? at the moment that’s about the only thing making 0952 unusable.

1080p plays better on my 1.6ghz c2d macmini than before.

48. Manique November 30th, 2011 7:59 am

i am very emotional right now……!

49. padexx November 30th, 2011 8:24 am

Nice! Really stunning improvements!

If we will be able to add apps (such as eyeTV) again. It will be perfect (again). :-)

50. Aeons November 30th, 2011 10:52 am

What about the Harmony Remote, is there a fix for that?

51. PalleRaa November 30th, 2011 12:30 pm

No idea 24p looked so awesome. Just watched Starwars 1 and 2 and they look absolutely amazing! Thanks!

52. Patrick November 30th, 2011 6:11 pm

My client keeps losing the connection to the Plex server. I open the client and just wait there for around 30s, and the Movies & TVs section will go blank. If you click into these items, they show “Connect to Plex Media Server…” and nothing happens. Restarting the client shows these sections properly again and you have to click really fast to play your content otherwise you have to re-open Plex all over again.

53. Henrik K December 1st, 2011 1:56 am

Recent update fixed every single problem I’ve had using Plex.

Even my HDDVD-backups are now playing perfectly – even when using subtitles!

Consider yourself donated to :)

54. acous December 1st, 2011 9:53 am

Hmm, I can’t seen to find the refresh rate sync option on my i5 mini, am I blind? :/

55. R27 December 1st, 2011 4:30 pm

Embedded .m4v subtitles still don’t work :(

56. To lab December 1st, 2011 5:49 pm

Great update, improved playback of VC-1 video, but has not eliminated stutter from many of them.

57. Jens December 1st, 2011 11:57 pm

Great work, thx so much Plex team. I’ve installed all new versions (still waiting for iOS :) Apple come on!)
    With the new option to manual setup the LAN server adress i can see my sections on my Qnap NAS now.
    Btw. without doing this these sections are still not visible on my Mac client (MacBookPro SL)

Cheers
    Jens

58. Stephen December 3rd, 2011 11:13 am

Why are we always moving away from transcoding? This seems crazy to me.

Bandwidth over WiFi is very limited (especially to an iOS device) and is often limited to 150mbps even over 802.11n. I would like the option to set transcode levels and it transcode all my media from my server (not necessarily the default, but the option to do so would be great) to my iOS and other devices.

I really would like the OSX and Windows clients to be able to transcode from a Plex library on the same LAN, rather than direct playing, as very high bit-rate movies struggle to play even over 450mbps WiFi, and i have an I7 (2600k) just sitting here that would handle transcoding perfectly.

I would appreciate it if the next version of all the clients allowed the option for us to chose what was transcoded (if direct play is available) and continue to just default transcode when it is not.

I have looked in the forums, and the general idea is that Plex does not want to do that, but I find it strange that you have taken out a feature that used to be supported.

Often, networking is more difficult to upgrade than processing power.

Stephen

59. Raphael December 3rd, 2011 12:59 pm

I am using a Logitech Harmony Remote 1100 with plea and noticed that since I updated to 9.5.2 the Stop button doesn’t work anymore so the only way to Stop a video is to show the menu and navigate to the stop button.

Besides that, the app is just awesome.

Cheers
    Raphael (French user)

60. RSully December 4th, 2011 9:29 am

@Elan, ElementML

I have this same setup, using VPN to connect to the private IP without MyPlex/open TCP ports. It would be great to have an option in the client to select how many mbps/etc to use. I can use the iPad client’s setting to do it, but the Mac client sadly lacks.

Luckily we just got VerizonFiOS installed and I have a big 25mbps upload speed now, so it’s nearly a non-issue for me as long as it buffers enough.

On another note, would it be possible for you to add an option so PlexMediaServer uses my Elgato H264 Turbo HD to transcode? It’s a hardware USB transcoder (meaning nearly 0% cpu usage) that can transcode way faster (to h264, which is perfect for iPad/iPhone/Mac viewing). I believe there is a quicktime component for it, and I know you can send it different settings for size, etc.

61. elan December 4th, 2011 2:34 pm

@RSully: Shouldn’t be hard to add the option.

62. Chris December 5th, 2011 9:55 am

Would be great to get the quit / sleep / shutdown menu back! Some great progress in the release tho, thanks!

63. John van Doorn December 5th, 2011 12:57 pm

I tried to install this beta on my mac mini 2009 running snow leopard to no avail.
    I’m getting the error below, has anybody installed this version in a similar environment with success?

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0×0000000000000002, 0×0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/liblzo.1.dylib
    Referenced from: /Users/johnvandoorn/Downloads/Plex-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Plex
    Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
    /Users/johnvandoorn/Downloads/Plex-1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/liblzo.1.dylib: unknown required load command 0×80000022

64. gw December 5th, 2011 5:46 pm

please make plex media server and plex app work as one like in plex/nine so it’s more convenient,seamless to use. there was an option to turn off “media server” always on, in plex/nine. ALSO, please,PLEASE.. bring back the old view options in plex/nine.. for example to show your netflix episodes, shows, movies in coverflow, panel stream, etc.. IM SURE MANY PEOPLE AGrEE WITH ME ON THIS!

65. ConVas December 5th, 2011 7:15 pm

The manual config has not solved the disappearing libraries problem for me, still same as auto comfig, sometimes they show up sometimes they dont, this is in the windows client, my iPOD and LG tv work fine.

If I have myPlex signed in the libraries show up

66. Tor Bach Kristensen December 6th, 2011 10:43 pm

There is something wrong with the scrolling funktion, at least on the standard skin. It is very slow and stutters a lot. For +500 movies this is a lengthy process getting through the library, and it is the same in all views. Also the volume Up/Down is not working any more. I can access it in the osd while watching movies, and it affects the sound perfectly. Just doesn’t change if I just push up or down on apple remote during movie.

67. mc December 7th, 2011 12:44 pm

when is plex coming for WINDOWS mobile devices wp7,5 ?

68. Badgerman December 8th, 2011 10:57 pm

Sounds great. How do you update? Download the new version and install or update from within pms. I couldn’t see anything obvious in the preference menu.

Thanks

69. Name December 9th, 2011 7:35 pm

Great effort but… after update volume is WAY TOO LOW and, please bring back the clock (when media playback is paused or progress bar is visible, just like before). Thanks for your work!

70. MK December 11th, 2011 5:41 am

It is a small thing, but still a bit annoying. Can we get a 24h clock? It is the most common way of expressing time in the world so it would make sense.

71. MK December 11th, 2011 5:44 am

I feel like an idiot. I found the setting, didn’t realize it was behind the “region” setting. Sorry about the confusion.

72. Jason December 12th, 2011 3:00 am

Please stop praising these Plex developers as Plex isn’t great when no high res audio (DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD) supported.

Another disappointed new version without HD audio.

I donated twice but no more.

73. Chris December 15th, 2011 5:12 pm

@Jason You sir, are a jackass.

So all the things they are able to include in this FREE product mean nothing because they don’t have 1 thing you (and only you, according to the people on this comment board) want? Go away, and don’t come back if you dont like it. People like you disgust me. Go make your own multi-system media server…see how that works out.

@Elan, ElementML, thank you immensely for your work. I’ve become so accustomed to using Plex, I can’t imagine not having it anymore.

One question though: Is it just me, or was the Fix for the default video setting crash just removing the “set as default for all movies” option? It’s not a big deal, and i’ve learned to live without it unless absolutely necessary. Now I assume i just need to wait until the next update and will do so gladly, but since I didn’t see anyone else comment on it, now i’m wondering if it’s just my version somehow.

74. Aviad December 16th, 2011 6:38 am

Amazing freeware… It just made my Roku a super hero streamer

75. Jim December 19th, 2011 12:38 am

The looks and feel of this product is impressing. The only, and very important, problem I have is that quite a number of movies uploaded as VIDEO_TS files do not work. Has this been solved now, or should I do it differently, but then how?

76. ShavenYak December 20th, 2011 5:53 am

@Chris: @Jason is not the only one who wants support for high-res audio. I would also like it, not just for movies but also for 5.1 music rips from DVD-Audio. But I’m not going to be a jerk about it – I’m pretty pleased with Plex as it is.

77. Charles January 1st, 2012 2:29 am

I’ve installed Plex recently, as I wanted to see how it integrated with my new LG “smart” TV, however so far, it just collects dust. I, like @Jim, have a library of movies that cannot be played, as mine are stored in .ISO format. I wish I could use Plex, but without the ability to play ISO’s, it is less useful to me than WDTV, PBO’s or Popcorn Hours, all which support ISO playback. I haven’t seen the exact reason why Plex doesn’t support this format (or the Video_TS) or if it will ever be able to. Thinking of how cheaply made some of the media players are and how they support ISO/Video_TS against how well put together Plex is, I am a bit surprised it can’t do at least the same functions.

78. Guill January 1st, 2012 9:15 am

Amazing! Auto Refresh rate is really excellent … Icing on the cake, these On Desk and What’s New additions are just … Perfect. Using Plex is a very pleasing experience.
    Thanks for all the work.

79. deefa January 2nd, 2012 1:06 am

Finally Auto Refresh Rate! This makes me very happy. Thanks to everyone for finally implementing this feature as I have been waiting for it for a very long time.

80. Rick January 2nd, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks so much for PLEX, its awesome!

Just a couple of things that I’d like to mention / enquire about?

- AAC 5.1 -> AC3 or DTS conversion for AV Receivers that don’t support AAC decoding.

- USB -HDMI CEC interfacing.

Give PLEX the ability to control your entire Home Theatre system… So currently when I switch off the TV (Sony), the AV Receiver (Pioneer) also switches off, along with the Blu-Ray Player too. It would be nice if the HTPC (Mac Mini) would go into sleep mode to reduce power consumption, heat, etc… Or when I wake it up via the Apple Remote, it also turns on the rest of the system?

Just some thoughts, otherwise now that it supports refresh rate changes to suit the media, its GREAT!!

Thank You again!

81. OJ January 4th, 2012 1:00 am

I presume this is not a big problem with dogs, with kids it: parental control or better yet: password protected folders. For everyone out there that desperately tries to get a moment relief from parking their kids in front of a collection of Disney cartoons, but doesn’t want the same kids to start browsing your zombie movie collection (or heaven forbid, collection of movies graphically demonstrating how little children are made), this is a showstopper.

I’ve seen this popping up in the forums on regular basis, but no ETA as of yet. Could you pretty please consider moving this up the priority list? It would be awsome! Needs two things: a) no thumbnails on the front page (good start on its own) and b) password/PIN protected folders.

Anyone with a shared system and kids would love you for this, and I presume that’s a lot of people :)

Thank you for an awseome product otherwise!! :)

82. Matt January 8th, 2012 7:44 am

I just wanted to say thanks. This is by far the best solution for media management and works great with Google TV.

I love all the little things that you guys put in (like playing the series theme music when you have a series selected.)

You guys are the best and keep up the great work!!!

83. plexfrank January 21st, 2012 2:08 am

It would be a great option to implement TurboHD-Stick support as suggested by RSully!
    Is there any chance to implement it?

84. Tristan February 13th, 2012 7:39 am

Hallo, I’ll like to know if there was something i could do, to make plex play my videoTS files smoothly? Does anyone have this studdering issue?

85. jb February 26th, 2012 10:38 am

I really miss control system volume from earlier versions. For whatever reason, Flash and Silverlight video doesn’t get volume adjusted through Plex.

Further, I’ve found problems with the Apple remote and audio streams, etc. If I back out of the playlist, I can no longer stop the audio playback or even get the controls operating with it.

Otherwise, very happy with this release.

86. chris March 28th, 2012 9:18 am

Hi, sorry for sounding like an idiot, but how do you activate the auto refresh? is there a menu somewhere? Or does it do it automatically all the time? When I set my gpu to 23.967 it works fin on HD but makes a meal out of SD

87. Arrrr June 18th, 2012 5:59 am

I love Plex. I installed it on my new PC. Connect to it with my LG 55 inch smarttv..and Wow!!! I have everything: Photos, videos, movies. Thank you guys

88. Iponxonik June 25th, 2012 6:21 am

I’ve just Installed Plex on my studio’s Mac Pro. It’s connected to Digidesign 192 I/O with 8 channel analog input/output.
    The channel configuration of the analog output is as follow:
    Channel 1: Front Left Speaker
    Channel 2: Front Center Speaker
    Channel 3: Front Right Speaker
    Channel 4: Side Left Surround Speaker
    Channel 5: Side Right Surround Speaker
    Channel 6: Subwoofer
    Channel 7: Rear Left Surround Speaker
    Channel 8: Rear Right Surround Speaker
    I’m using this configuration so that it can backward compatible with the older speaker configuration which is only 5.1.
    When I set the speaker configuration on Plex to 7.1, I don’t get 7.1 output from my 192 I/O. It’s only 5.1 output. No Rear Surround audio. And the 5.1 output is also wrong.
    The Subwoofer signal is going out to Channel 4, while the Left and Right Surround signal is going out to channel 5 and 6.
    How can I correct this problem?