Plex v0.9.5 - Brave New World - Plex Blog

Plex v0.9.5 – Brave New World

| 29 Oct 2011 | by 80 Comments

OK, I know why you’re here. You want the new releases, and you want them now. Well, you’re in the right place.

Note that as part of the release process, we’ve added new forums (for myPlex, and the new “Laika” client). There is also an amazing amount of documentation on the new release. There are a lot of new moving parts, so we’re sure there may be a few rough edges. Please let us know about them, and we’ll get them smoothed out.

Most of all, though, we really hope you enjoy the new release!

One more thing; as I’m sure you’re aware of, there is a Plex client for Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players. Thousands of people are using it, and it’s quite nice; I picked up a compatible Blu-ray player for under $99 which does 1080p and optical audio out. Oh, and it’s a Blu-ray player.

Anyway, during the Laika development cycle, we worked with the amazingly talented author of the client, Daniel, as he updated the Samsung client to support new Laika features, and upgrade the look and feel of the application. I think the results are stunning:

Episode overview

Home tvshow

Movie overview

This is all built in HTML5/CSS and Javascript. Pretty nice, right? The release will be available as early as tomorrow, and he’s working on fleshing it out even more beyond support for video. If you’d like to see it in action, you can check out this screencast Boots put together. It’s a really nice validation of the powerful HTTP/XML API that the Plex Media Server provides.

One more note, the Linux releases will be updated shortly, it takes us a bit of time to build for all the different platforms/NAS devices. You’ll be happy to know that our Linux engineers are working on completely automating the process.

Lastly, a HUGE thank you to all the Plex Ninjas who helped us test this release. Your tireless dedication to helping us track down and resolve issues in the new code, document the new features, your friendly and helpful 24-hour presence in Campfire, all of it was just simply awesome.

Peace out, friends. Love from Barkley and the team. Click Get Plex on the web site to download the new releases.

321901 10100183735963455 427824 47659079 6506950 o

1. Nes October 29th, 2011 9:52 pm

Congratulations. Looking forward to the upgraded core, the updated skin and UI improvements and the new features. Many thanks for making such an awesome piece of software free to use for us all.

2. Maersk October 29th, 2011 9:53 pm

Thank you Plexteam for all your hard work and efforts for making Plex THE best mediacentre.

3. fanclerks October 29th, 2011 10:07 pm

Been eagerly awaiting this and am psyched that it’s here. Congrats devs on all the hard work and time you put into this labor of love.

4. bitonio October 29th, 2011 10:15 pm

Nice to see this awesome product growing up.
    Any changelog published online?

5. Drh October 29th, 2011 10:16 pm

Whoo, late for USA, but morning in UK, just loaded iOS app, nice :)

6. uber October 29th, 2011 10:19 pm

Downloading and using it (including iOS over airplay which now multitasks again). It’s beautiful and everything you guys say it is and more. Thank you all so much!

7. Spas October 29th, 2011 10:55 pm

THANKS A LOT!
    This is just awesome – especially since I just bought a Samsung Smart TV (just because of the Plex integration – Daniel should get some of Samsungs money ;)

You guys have done an amazing job – once again :)

8. claude October 29th, 2011 11:03 pm

woooow, now we have the hole sunday to play with it!!! thanks so much!!! :D

9. Martin October 29th, 2011 11:17 pm

Thanks guys!

I can’t authenticate with the web manager after creating my myPlex account.

Anyone else seeing this?

10. Rasmus October 29th, 2011 11:36 pm

Just install the updated Samsung client and it’s AWESOME! Thank you so much!!

11. elan October 29th, 2011 11:36 pm

@Martin: use the Plex Media Manager link from myPlex, it takes care of all the details.

12. Øyvind October 29th, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations! The new release is looking stellar! :)

13. Martin October 29th, 2011 11:42 pm

@elan

Thanks it works! :)

Do I have to use that link everytime I want to web manage or is it a one time thing?

14. RockStar October 30th, 2011 12:10 am

Plex for samsung just went from great to insane. what a fantastic job Daniel is doing on it!

15. JanJessen October 30th, 2011 12:11 am

Hi how do get the new client i only see the new server version in the download section ?

16. David October 30th, 2011 12:19 am

Seems really sweet, but had to downgrade before my mini went down. Everything hung up all the time… Looking forward to a stable release :)

17. claude October 30th, 2011 12:31 am

does anybody know where we can get the skin that is shown in Plex 0.9.5 “Laika” Client Introduction ?

18. Toga October 30th, 2011 12:33 am

Same here, can only see the server and the forums appear to be broken.
    Can’t wait to upgrade and play with the new features

19. Phil October 30th, 2011 12:42 am

Got my downloads (waiting on the Linux PMS of course). Looks like there’s some server load though – the DB is having a meltdown. Can’t log into the forum or myPlex. Don’t you guys just love release day? :-)

20. wally007 October 30th, 2011 12:47 am

@uber -> Are you able o RESUME Airplayed video ? In previous version of PLex iOS I was only able to start playing video from the beginning. If i resumed, video wouldnt play on AppleTV

21. shorty27 October 30th, 2011 1:22 am

Can’t wait to use it but currently cannot sign into myplex and forum site seems to be gone down. Also is the new mac client out yet as i can only see the old one. With USA still asleep expect much more activity in a few hours!

22. furby October 30th, 2011 2:12 am

@shorty27 it’s out http://www.plexapp.com/download/mac-download-new.php Bit slow but it seems the Plex sites are takign a bit of a hammering right now. The perils of popularity :)

23. Siridar October 30th, 2011 2:17 am

Hmm, I have a problem with this latest release – I have a previous-gen mac mini running snow leopard, and when i’m using the harmony remote, I get the OSX vol up/vol down/mute overlay when browsing. It doesn’t seem to affect the volume – I suspect this is because i’m using HDMI. Other than that, it’s a brilliant release!

24. Bo October 30th, 2011 2:41 am

Wow! I didn’t know about the Samsung client. This is great news! Thanks, everybody. You’re doing a great job.

25. eivindml October 30th, 2011 3:22 am

What is the timeframe for the Linux PMS? Today? Couple of days? Weeks? Would be great to know, so I don’t waste my entire Sunday hitting the refresh button. ;)

26. MichaelW October 30th, 2011 4:11 am

elan- The forums are all but useless right now because of the release load on the sql server. How can I enable local files, like we did in .9.4.3 with the video plugins choice from the main menu?

27. Mr. Klein October 30th, 2011 4:25 am

Since neither the forums nor the wiki are accessible at the moment, could somebody tell me how I can update my existing plex installation to Laika, since now the server and the client are seperated…

28. Aaron October 30th, 2011 4:42 am

Elan, can you speak to privacy concerns about myPlex? What exactly is shared and what is stored on myPlex servers?

29. cannfoddr October 30th, 2011 4:56 am

Hey any thoughts on when the forums might be a little more available? I appreciate you are probably being swamped by demand ATM.

New stuff looks great!

30. ooze October 30th, 2011 5:11 am

WOW! I just tried the myplex service and I gotta say, this is INSANELY COOL! Everything looks so good and slick, even the bookmarklet is amazing. Really really good work guys. I just wonder how you can pull this off to offer this for free. Well, I’m gald it is!

31. david October 30th, 2011 6:06 am

So…release notes? You just release a new version of the media server without saying anything about it except “here, try it”?

32. some1 October 30th, 2011 7:11 am

Am I blind or has the Audio Boost option disappeared? The volume is now ridiculously low, I have to turn up my general volume so extreme that my ears explode when something other than Plex is causing any noise.

33. james October 30th, 2011 7:13 am

@david: Check the post before this one :-)

34. Josh October 30th, 2011 8:38 am

Great job on the new release guys! One minor question though. Is there a reason why this is version 0.9.5 instead of a 1.0 release? This seems like a pretty major overhaul and seems deserving of a 1.0 release.

35. MichaelW October 30th, 2011 9:24 am

elan-
    I was wondering if we could get some more detailed information on what exactly myplex is keeping as far as data on our collections. Does it just keep information on media we add from the web? What does it keep on your servers as far as a record of a piece of media we have on our box? Its file name on disk, SHA/MD5 fingerprint, file size? Is it encrypted on disk on your end? How is this information tied to a particular user? By IP, Mac Address, username? If you do collect this info, how long is it kept? Do I have the option to opt out of any data collection if it is being done? Will you ever use any personally identifying information ever for sale? I think a more detailed privacy document should be prepared, to put peoples minds at ease. It’s not that I don’t trust you, I don’t trust anyone :)

36. bdumes October 30th, 2011 9:57 am

Still playing with it, but it looks amazing! I’m so excited!

BUT — we seem to have lost a feature from PMS that is a real sore point for me, which is the ability to prevent a client from deleting something.

From Elan’s post about Plex v0.9.3.4:

“NEW: We’ve added a preference to disable media file deletion, and we’ve defaulted it to off, for the sake of safety (yes, Bruce, we’re listening). If you want to enable the option, please head to your friendly neighborhood web-based media manager at http://localhost:32400/manage and enable it:”

So not only is the default now to allow clients to delete (which I think is a bad thing) but we’ve lost the ability built into 9.3.4 to turn it off.

PLEASE add this back into PMS!!

But I don’t want to leave this comment with a negative. I really am very excited about the new look and features. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

Bruce

37. stinky October 30th, 2011 10:13 am

Haha, I love it. “you release a new version without saying anything…”

Also, this software is balls to the wall awesome!

Myplex works great. The queue is seamless.
    I do miss the weather but I imagine I’m in the minority and I don’t blame you for tossing it.

38. uber October 30th, 2011 10:14 am

@wally007… I believe so. A couple times I had to restart in the middle of the episode and everything resumed fine.

Now, why did I have to restart? Well, while multitasking seems to work, when I would actually do stuff on the phone, occasionally it would freeze which would kill airplay (the phone would then resume running fine). I haven’t tested this thoroughly, but I do think this is a bug. After a bit more testing, I’ll probably bring this up in the forums once things settle down a bit with the new release. Nevertheless, I had no problems restarting it from where it failed, moving forward or backwards to random start points, and could let the phone go to the lock screen without issue. Perhaps not perfect yet, but definitely much better than before.

39. Phil October 30th, 2011 10:17 am

Having a great time playing with all the new stuff in the client… myPlex does seem to be very cool. But it looks like for some stuff to work properly it needs the new server. Any word on updating the Ubuntu repository?

40. Tom October 30th, 2011 10:56 am

Love the new release; it runs about twice as fast on my ’07 MacBook. But there’s a problem. Really, it’s more Lion’s problem than yours, but my MacBook is connected to a TV which acts as a second display. The old version of Plex could display on that monitor in full screen while I continued to work on my MacBook’s screen, but since the new release handles fullscreen like other Lion apps, It will only go fullscreen on my primary monitor (the MacBook).

Needless to say this is a bit of an annoyance, and if you guys were able to develop some kind of workaround, that would be amazing! :D

41. Dave October 30th, 2011 11:29 am

I second Aaron’s question. From a privacy/security perspective, what’s going on behind the scene?

42. bgm October 30th, 2011 11:36 am

I’ve had to downgrade to .9.3.4 because of massive stuttering and pixelation on every 1080p movie. The new features seem cool, but not worth it if it doesn’t do the basics (ie play media). Hopefully the devs can get the bugs worked out quick…

43. bdumes October 30th, 2011 12:10 pm

The “My Plex” thing really has a lot of potential, I think. What if you leveraged it for Plex profiles?

Each person in a household (or with the thin app Plex, each person who uses a particular Plex server) would have their own “watched/unwatched” flags, which would be stored in their MyPlex cloud. Even preferences could be stored in the cloud.

Just a thought!

Bruce

44. Sander Retz October 30th, 2011 2:04 pm

Yesss!!! Finally! Love the new look and above all… The updated player… Just tested with a couple of movies that did some massive frame dropping and they run smooth as silk.

Found just one little glitch so far… If you open the info panel in a movie there seems to be no way to get rid of it with the Plex APP for iOS. You need a keyboard ESC to get the job done.

And there seems to be no advanced options menu anymore and if you have a delayed “now playing” set like I had it doesn’t launch a visualization at all. You need to disable it by starting the old client and going to the advanced option to get it working (or probably edit some properties file somewhere but I found this easier…)

Cheers to the new release! :D

45. elan October 30th, 2011 2:50 pm

@Bruce: that option is still there, just only accessible via the Web Media Manager (long story, don’t ask).

46. Phill October 30th, 2011 3:00 pm

How is it we get such a huge release like this but only one photo of Barkley? This landmark update warrants a couple Barkley photos at least!

47. David October 30th, 2011 3:19 pm

Will there be an update to the linux variants? Specifically I’m interested in the ReadyNAS build. Wonderful value add for the NAS appliance.

48. bdumes October 30th, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks, Elan! OK, I won’t ask. :-) But I do feel much better.

However… I’m having another issue with this. Previously I hadn’t set up a password for PMS. Now when I try to access via the Web Manager, it’s asking me for a username and a password — and I can’t find an option in the current PMS to enter a username and password. I tried my OS X credentials and my PLEX forum credentials, but it’s unhappy with either of those. Sorry if I’m being dim and have missed it somewhere — but of course this interface is completely new.

49. Ryan Christensen October 30th, 2011 6:35 pm

Thank you Plex team and everyone else that contributed. This is an excellent update and I’m already seeing a huge difference in the A/V sync issues with The Amazing Race. Plex for life! Again, great job everyone!

50. Jeremiah October 30th, 2011 8:04 pm

Where is the list of new features/changes?

So here is an unofficial compilation of “release notes” and links for all the new 0.9.5 Plex products. I was lost after reading this post, so i spent some time reading and watching everything i could find and listed it here, but i’m sure there’s stuff missing.

Wiki Release Notes: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Plex_095_Preview_Release

Plex Desktop Client, 0.9.5 (aka Laika):

- myPlex support
    - Updated default visual interface skin by Sebastian
    - “On-Deck” and “Shelf” media display for Movies and TV Shows
    - DVD disc support
    - Windows client now available, with Windows Media Center extension
    - New Video preferences
    - New Skinning Engine, more features for skin designers
    - Independent Mac Client no longer combined with Media Server
    - Latest ffmpeg codec
    - Plug-ins renamed “Channels” (don’t know if features changed)

Screencast with examples and details: http://vimeo.com/31290604
    Blog post: http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/10/28/laika-revealed/
    Vague info on Channels from April: http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/04/24/automated-channel-testing/

Third Party Clients, 0.9.5:

Screencast with examples and details: http://vimeo.com/31291894

Plex Media Server, 0.9.5:

- Flash and Silverlight support in Windows
    - Flash and Silverlight fixes in OS X
    - Fixed A/V sync issues, DTS distortion, transcoding over 3G, and more
    - Fixed interoperating with the Roku 2
    - Memory usage reading iTunes XML file greatly reduced.
    - Added browsing movies by country.
    - Allow browsing by collection in music sections.
    - Fix for crashes when scanning directories without permission.
    - [Linux] Fixes for inotify automatic scans.
    - Improved reliability in network advertisements.
    - Fix for date-based episodes not getting any metadata.
    - Greatly sped up starting audio playback over slow connections.
    - Fix 100% CPU usage on run first.
    - Fixed unmatched items not getting local subtitles.
    - Crash starting and and then quickly stopping Flash/Silverlight playback.
    - [Windows] Fix unresponsive tray icon.
    - [Windows] A few other crashes.
    - Sped up recently added media queries.
    - Allow Direct Streaming for up to 160kbps AAC
    - Fix nested iTunes playlists.

List copied from http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/10/28/laika-revealed/

myPlex

- Easily access media from your Media Server over the internet
    - Queue media from various sources to be watched in Plex clients
    - Share content from your Media Server over the internet

Blog post: http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/10/28/introducing-myplex/
    Screencast 1: http://vimeo.com/31291184
    Screencast 2: http://vimeo.com/31292304

*** Where is the list of issues/bugs? ***

Try the forums, i guess: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/forum/62-bugs/

51. Jeremiah October 30th, 2011 9:39 pm

I have to vent a bit. I’m a big fan of Plex and really appreciate all the work the team has been putting into new features and updates for this amazing suite of software. I clicked here just minutes after this was posted on Facebook last night, excited to see a new version announced.

But after reading this post i felt lost. This post talked about things as if i already knew about them, yet didn’t link to anything in case i didn’t. It announced the release, but not much else.

So i dug around looking for all the info i could, and put together the list above while i was at it.

But unfortunately, i’m still not sure if 0.9.5 is “safe” for me to install. I currently have 0.9.3.4 running with no problems, and i use it almost every day. And i don’t want to risk blowing it up. Can i upgrade my current Media Server keeping my library intact, or must i start from scratch? Again.

As a current user of Plex, i simply want to know what impact this update will have for me. And i am struggling to find that information.

52. elan October 30th, 2011 10:30 pm

@bdumes: If you log into myPlex, your servers are all listed there, along with authenticated links back to them, easy to access, without a need to use user/password. Sorry I wasn’t clear enough about that.

53. elan October 30th, 2011 10:32 pm

@Jeremiah: completely fair points, we could have done a better job explaining things! The short of it is:

* You can run the old client against the new server, and it will work perfectly.
    * You can run the new client against the old server, and it will mostly work, but be missing features (e.g. posters in TV On Deck/Recently Added).
    * Servers can upgraded or downgraded and the DB is maintained perfectly.
    * New and old clients can be run alongside each other.

Hope that helps.

54. Flanders October 30th, 2011 10:41 pm

@elan – Thanks for the above, I had the same concerns as Jeremiah. I do have one questions though: To upgrade completely, does one simply download both Client and Server files and add them to “Applications” (overwriting the Plexx.app and adding Plex Media Server.app)? Will all my sections etc still be intact or will I have to re-add sections and re-scrape everything?

55. elan October 30th, 2011 11:18 pm

@Flanders, yes, the only caveat is that if the old PMS is set to autostart via Plex setting, you might want to turn that off. No sections will be lost, no need to rescan.

56. Stephan October 31st, 2011 1:31 am

From my experience: Old PMS with new client does not work after you installed the new PMS as well (and I guess you need to update the library for breaking it).

For some reason the old PMS still starts when I boot my iMac (Model 8,1 Core 2 Duo 2.66Mhz, Radeon 2600 Pro). The new client then does not show any sections. When I stop the old PMS and start the new one, sections show up of course.

I too have heavy stuttering and framedrops using Laika on 1080p mkvs using the same machine. When using 0.9.2 I had no problems whatsoever playing this kind of files with even higher bitrate. Turning video acceleration off makes no difference.

I was not able to try out myPlex as I forgot my password for the forum account, and the forgot pw link always redirects me to myPlex where it does not recognise the email adress all of a sudden.

I’m sure you’ll fix these bugs soon, and I’m really thankful for all the effort the team puts into this wonderful suite of software but releases always seem a bit rushed, so normally I wait quite a while before upgrading.

Nevertheless Plex is awesome. I really like the new On Deck feature.

57. paul October 31st, 2011 1:38 am

fullscreen switching is a nightmare with this version please fix this

58. elan October 31st, 2011 1:59 am

@paul: could you give a few more details than “is a nightmare” ? There is one known issue with secondary screens, is this what you’re running into?

59. elan October 31st, 2011 2:00 am

@Stephan: stop by Plex Chat (https://osxbmc.campfirenow.com/e9f49) and we can help you get your password reset.

60. Mark November 1st, 2011 2:43 am

Wow, you have to actually read the documentation in order to figure out that the server and the client are two different installations now. But even the documentation doesn’t say what I have to do in order to get access to my existing library. Because, right now, I have the server and the client running, but I can’t see anything in the client.

You guys either make this software exclusively for engineers and geeks, who just can’t live without having to read a doc before even being able to use something, or this whole thing is utterly bugged.

61. Mike G November 1st, 2011 6:21 pm

I just installed the new media server (osx) and windows client and while all my ripped dvd’s show up fine right out the gate, anything that hasn’t been compressed/converted will not play at all.

So all .VOB files in VIDEO_TS folders appears not to be liked by the new client. I don’t get any message or error when I click on a movie poster. Other formats like .MKV and .MPG seem to be fine. Actual dvd’s seem to just silently fail. Everything’s working fine on the local machine osx install with both server and client so I know the material itself is playable in the latest Plex client. Any ideas?

PS – overall love the new release. If I can get this working I’m making Plex the family’s new HTPC frontend ;)

62. Jeremiah November 1st, 2011 9:52 pm

@elan, appreciate the clarification.

One thing i’m still not sure about is PMS launching with the desktop client, like Mark mentioned. I’m used to the old behavior where starting the client “brings” PMS with it. My interpretation of the wiki documentation is that they are unlinked now and i would have to launch each separately, which would be a tad annoying. And would it matter which is launched first?

And this isn’t important, but i’m curious: does On-Deck/Recent actually come from the Media Server or the Client? Or both? At first glance, i thought it might just be something built on skinning features, displaying a filtered set of media. But then i thought about having to keep track of recently-watched/in-progress media, which points to a server feature.

63. Bob November 2nd, 2011 2:57 am

In regards tot he Windows Media Center “integration,” from watching the video, it appears all this is is a shortcut button on the WMC menu to launch the Plex client as a completely separate application in Windows, then when you close Plex, you are returned back to WMC. Convenient for users that already use WMC as base system, but please clarify that this is not true integration. If you had truly integrated Plex with WMC and brought the live TV, Episode Guide, DVR, and cablecard support into the wonderfully skinned Plex front end, then you would have something innovative. This shortcut on the WMC menu, XBMC had that a year ago.

64. james November 2nd, 2011 3:03 am

@Bob: That’s correct – it’s just a convenient way for users with a remote control to switch between WMC and Plex. And yes, XBMC may have had this a year ago, but there wasn’t a Windows version of Plex until last week, so it’s not like we could have implemented it any earlier ;)

65. paul November 2nd, 2011 4:27 am

@elan i uses a secondary monitor connected via the iMac i used to be able to use the shortcut cmd+shift+>but that doesn’t work or if i drag the screen over windowed and press it comes back to my iMac screen in full the wife will never grasp the process of going through the menu also I’ve noticed some audio issues basically make static noise on some movies? mkv’s with dts ?

66. Andre November 2nd, 2011 11:25 am

STOP STOP STOP guys !!!
    did you ever thinked about your concurents? Let them time to follow you ! Even apple is million milles away !!! You gonna be the company to kill. Seriously I’m a two months new user and I love your client/server I ever though i’ll need optical fiber to stream the movie from my syno nas at work to my ipad in bed ;0)
    But you make it possible better then a youtube server …. Whaou amazing, you really rock at the plexTeam!
    Keep this good job going even if have no idea about making it better….
    THANKS A LOT TO THE WHOLE TEAM

67. Ollivier November 2nd, 2011 1:49 pm

Yeah,

Just dropping a note not to complain about anything (for once) but to congratulate you all, plex has changed my life, I will be eternally thankful :-)

THANK YOU THANK YOU, You deserve a free Turkey :-))))))

68. Juan November 2nd, 2011 3:04 pm

Where are my posts? So you are only showing all the compliments? Plex is not for me as it can’t support high res audio. Can’t believe I actually donated to you folks.

69. elan November 2nd, 2011 4:01 pm

@Juan: Your posts are there. Please let me know how it’s feasible to support high resolution audio on the Mac.

70. Ollivier November 3rd, 2011 4:21 am

@Juan I think you should get a PC, Windows Media Player will most certainly more closely meet your needs :-)

71. Kristian J. November 4th, 2011 7:47 am

Awesome work!

I have the 0.9.5.1 beta client running on an older asus eeepc with windows 7 x86 and PMS 0.9.5 running on a win 7 x64. Client and server on different networks.

I am now able to play content without transcoding (hardware acceleration works on client!!!). I have tested this up to 720p content.

Keep up the excellent (and properly very hard) work!

72. pmcd November 4th, 2011 11:03 am

Very interesting progress.Plex is really adding interesting features. However, I worry that you are taking on too much. In particular, what is the relationship between Plex and the different TV vendors? There is LG, Samsung, iOS, etc … The LG situation seems to be full of problems on the client side while the Samsung client appears to work. Does Plex have a formal relationship with both companies? Who is responsible for the clients? Will Plex, the company, commit to making things work on each of the client platforms? As you might be aware, the LG media player ST600 which is advertised on your website simply doesn’t work properly as a Plex client. It works great otherwise.

Don’t want to be negative, but it’s getting difficult to guess at what does and doesn’t work.

philip

73. James November 6th, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi guys, love your work keep it up. not sure where to post some problems i’ve been having with the new version for bug reports. but i throw it here and hopefully you see it. i’m running one of the new mac mini’s Intel i5 2.5, 4gb ram, and graphics. hooked up to an onkyo amp (via HDMI) through to my samsung tv. now whenever i finish watching a movie, particularly encoded in DTS the sound will switch to the mac mini automatically once the movie has finished. i’d have to quit and then restart Plex. then its fine again.

I have a movie encoded in DTS-MA and it only plays in stereo, just wanted to know if you had support for this yet or if i had a problem somewhere.

Cheers
    James

74. Jimmy November 8th, 2011 3:44 am

Hi Guys,

I need a bit of help. I’m a plexapp newbie.
    Love the IOS work!

I cant seem to find the 0.95 Windows player anywhere to download. On download page, says Media centre and Server…but no player.

I did install server. Is the media centre – the player?

Jim

75. james November 8th, 2011 6:34 am

@Jimmy: Yes, the media centre is the player :)

76. Keith November 12th, 2011 10:22 am

Hi.
    First — thank you for Plex and the ROKU client especially. It made me buy a ROKU.
    Then… things mostly work great. Just downloaded the new beta server and PMS.
    I consistently have one problem — I have a folder set up for German TV programs/series. A lot of them apparently can’t be found in the online databases with the following settings:
    - SECTION TYPE: TV SHOWS
    - MEDIA SCANNER: PLEX SERIES SCANNER
    - PRIMARY METADATA AGENT: TheTVDB
    - LANGUAGE: DEUTSCH

A lot of the series show up with the generic icon and show no details about the show or series. That’s not a huge problem. The problem is that when trying to play these on the ROKU.. a lot of them simply immediately go back to the “server” screen… ie., they don’t load or play anything in those folders.

Shouldn’t the default behavior be to show what’s in a folder and play it even if it can’t be found in the online DBs?

I have had some luck moving them to a MISC folder and setting it to PERSONAL MEDIA but even then some don’t play…

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

PS. DO I need to update the ROKU client? Is that automatic? ???
    thanks
    keith

77. Erik March 1st, 2012 6:46 pm

Flabbergasted it took me, a not exactly Plex newbie, to find this blogpost to figure out that the server and client are separate releases. For the newbie who just downloads the client will find a bewildering useless application.

What happened to the nice setup that previous versions had? One download, brilliant installation wizard and away we go.

I can not stress this enough: I had to find this blog post and the comment that said that you needed both client and server (separate downloads) to use Plex the way you were used to. (Clean install). Baffling.

78. Erik March 1st, 2012 6:48 pm

Please revert to a single package with OPTIONAL separate install for people who use only the server for their Google Samsung TV or whatever. Sigh. Something got lost in the race to be on every device :/

79. Paddy April 11th, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks guys for all the amazing work, Installed the server on my NAS and the client on my Samsung Tab, Samsung Bluray and Galaxy S II, It all works exceptionally well and having My Plex access when away with work is excellent, Was searching for an all in one solution for all my devices and found exactly what I wanted and even more, Now I can remotely access all my media from anywhere easily and my girlfriend can even use plex which is great because all the boxes (HTPCs, apple TVs etc) floating around the house are all gone and going to get a Smart TV soon to make it even easier since Plex is now available on them.
    Two thumbs up to all developers for an excellent platform to use.
    Paddy

80. Matte May 16th, 2012 9:54 am

Hey, just installed the samsung app,looks and works great, one thing, is there support for subtitles and how do I get them to work?