Laika Revealed - Plex Blog

Laika Revealed

, , | 28 Oct 2011 | by 111 Comments

In yesterday’s post, we unveiled myPlex, and today we want to talk about the other pieces of the software included in the release. This is, by far, the biggest release we’ve ever attempted. Besides the brand new cloud-based features, we have major new releases of the desktop client, the media server, the iOS client, and the Android client. So if we’ve been a bit quiet lately, it’s only been because we’ve been working so hard.

Without further ado, let’s explore the new releases. As many of you figured out from the initial teaser post, the word Laika was included. Laika is the codename for the next generation Plex desktop client. (For you collectors, another beautiful retro hint is here.) We chose the name as a homage to the Plex mascot Barkley (whose name roughly translates to Laika), and a tribute to the first dog in space.

The Plex desktop client has been largely rewritten, based on the latest stable release of XBMC. This means that it’ll benefit from all the great work that team has put in, and will have the updated skinning engine and player that Plex makes use of. This means that it’ll run smoother, and consume less CPU and memory. Media playback is also much better, with improved and more flexible A/V sync, support for optical media, and more. In addition, we’ve updated the core engine (the incredible ffmpeg) to the very latest code, which means there is support for 10-bit video (Hi10P), HTTP Live Streaming, and much more. We’ve also made it easier to keep abreast of future changes from both teams.

If you’ve been using Plex for a while, you’re no doubt aware of the Retroplex skin, which is one of the most popular third party skins. We’re pleased to announce that its talented author, Sebastian, has been working closely with us to modernize the default Plex skin for this release, and not a single pixel has gone untouched. It looks amazing, and I’m sure you’ll love it.

Plex

This new release of Plex fully supports myPlex, and is a “thin client”. This means you can download just the client, sign into myPlex, and you have instant access to all your media (and media shared with you), no matter where you are. The client can transcode or Direct Play remote media, including Flash/Silverlight video. Many of you have asked for this feature, and we’re incredibly happy to bring it to you. If you look closely, you’ll see there’s even an option for including shared libraries in the universal search.

Plex 2

We always strive to make our software easier to use, and one thing we noticed was that in regular usage, certain media consumption patterns emerged that we could take advantage of to make it much easier for people to get to their media more easily. For example, if I want to watch TV, I’m most likely to be interested in seeing the next unwatched episode of a show I’ve watched recently. Easy enough to explain, but in previous versions, you were stuck finding the TV show, going to the right season, and looking for the next unwatched episode. Honestly, I’d rather spend that time opening a beer.

It’s actually easier to explain with a screen capture.

Plex 3

I decided to watch some TV, so i scrolled down to highlight my Television section, and to the right, the media shelf fades in with two areas: On Deck content, and Recently Added content. Just last night, we watched the third episode of West Wing (no spoilers in the comments, please), so Plex is offering me the fourth episode. Two clicks away and I’m watching it, as opposed to (I just counted) fifteen!

A week or two ago, we finished the last episode of the first season of Walking Dead (if you haven’t read the graphic novel, you really should), and so it’s offering me the season premier for the second season. Unfortunately, I have to wait for a guy friend to visit to watch that, since Anna won’t go near zombies.

Before that, I got halfway through a Simpsons episode and then got distracted by zombies or shiny objects, so it’s offering me that half-finished episode next. And so on.

In the lower shelf, it’s showing me media that’s been recently added to this section of the library.

This context-sensitive way of offering media is, in my opinion, the single coolest new feature in this next release. We also use the shelves to display the recently added items to your media queue:

Plex 4

If you’re hovering over a channels menu item, it shows you the most recently used channels: again, we’re trying to help you get to where you’re going as quickly as possible.

Plex 5

There are lots of other little details I could go into, but there’s one more big one I want to share in the form of another screen capture. Drum roll, please…

Latest Windows 7 1

That’s right, Plex is now officially available for Windows. We hired some amazing engineers who live and breath the platform, and they’ve not only gotten it running splendidly, they’ve added a few sweet touches like integration with Windows Media Center. That delicious new icon, by the way, which you’ll see in the new clients, was designed by the superbly talented Alexis, who does incredible work (he also designed all previous versions of the Plex icons).

Mce xp 7 JPG

Let’s switch gears over to the server side, where we’ve made lots of improvements as well. First and foremost, since we’re on the topic of Windows, I’m happy to announce that the new Plex Media Server supports Flash and Silverlight video. We’ve also fixed A/V sync and drift that occurred with Flash and Silverlight videos on OS X.

We’ve greatly improved the transcoder, fixing A/V sync issues, DTS distortion, transcoding over 3G, and another handful of issues, including interoperating with the Roku 2.

Here’s a list of the rest of the changes in the Plex Media Server for your perusal:

• Memory usage reading iTunes XML file greatly reduced.
  • Added browsing movies by country.
  • Allow browsing by collection in music sections.
  • Fix for crashes when scanning directories without permission.
  • [Linux] Fixes for inotify automatic scans.
  • Improved reliability in network advertisements.
  • Fix for date-based episodes not getting any metadata.
  • Greatly sped up starting audio playback over slow connections.
  • Fix 100% CPU usage on run first.
  • Fixed unmatched items not getting local subtitles.
  • Crash starting and and then quickly stopping Flash/Silverlight playback.
  • [Windows] Fix unresponsive tray icon.
  • [Windows] A few other crashes.
  • Sped up recently added media queries.
  • Allow Direct Streaming for up to 160kbps AAC
  • Fix nested iTunes playlists.

(Of course, all the new features, such as the “on deck” and recently added content are available via the HTTP API to the media server.)

Moving along to the mobile applications, we’ve spent an enormous amount of effort updating both the iOS and Android applications. Darrin will be posting tomorrow with details on the new version of Plex for Android, and on the iOS side, we closed over 150 issues and added full myPlex integration. Check out the new awesome home page, which is a great way to see an overview of your media (note the shared media and the queue from myPlex):

IOS Simulator 1

You will love the new iOS application. It starts faster, connects faster, resumes faster, and is much more stable than the last version. Here is a list of the most visible changes:

• myPlex support.
  • All-new home screen.
  • Alphabet indexing for quickly browsing through large media collections (yay!)
  • Subtitle scaling.
  • Audio boost for videos.
  • Internationalized to French, Swedish, German and Korean, with many thanks to our translators. (Want to help us localize it more? Visit this link in Firefox, and we’ll incorporate for the next release. Klingon, please!)
  • Much faster and more reliable connections to servers.
  • Caching improvements, images cached between WiFi and 3G.
  • Remember last filter (e.g. Recently Added) for each section.
  • Display album art/track name on lock screen (iOS5).
  • Support for photos via Plex Media Manager.
  • Lots of other minor improvements all over the application.

As I hope you can see, this is an absolutely massive release. We’ve brought huge improvements to every area of our media platform. We really hope you’ll enjoy them!

Of course, the question you all have is: when it will be launched? Let me bring your attention to the two numbers on the teaser postcard: TEN, and ELEVEN. The number ELEVEN referred to the year, 2011, while TEN referred to this fine month of October. That means that you will all be playing with all these new toys very shortly!

We’ll leave you with these fine screencasts, put together by our very own Boots:

See you soon, with a photo of Barkley.

1. Chris Allen October 28th, 2011 11:42 pm

Tis a glorious day in the world of Home Theater… Hats off guys!!!

2. claude October 28th, 2011 11:44 pm

Wow!!! plex is getting more and more awesome!!! :-) Thank you guys!!!

3. Hans October 28th, 2011 11:48 pm

These updates sounds amazing, can’t wait to try it. It might even lure me away from xbmc.

4. A huge Plex fan October 28th, 2011 11:58 pm

Great stuff Elan!

5. Dean Mayers October 29th, 2011 12:03 am

Looks great. Can’t wait to try it.

Any word on better support for Lion? (That doesn’t mean native full screen mode though because using that with two monitors sucks!)

6. Ashtemple October 29th, 2011 12:06 am

Wow! I can’t wait! Thanks so much for all your efforts!

7. Fredrik October 29th, 2011 12:07 am

Looks great! But…

does it have RAR-support now? :-)

8. Beckenbauer October 29th, 2011 12:08 am

Excellent work guys!! It took a long time… but good things will take a while ! :-)
    PLEX is now more than ever the #1 Media-System on this planet (supposed all the main features will work as expected) !! THANK YOU HOLY DEVELOPERS !!! :-)

9. lajvy October 29th, 2011 12:11 am

Wow, great release guys!!

I’m currently running both Plex and XBMC on my Mac mini. With 1000+ movies I need to be able to sort them easily. In XBMC it’s possible to sort by rating in every view, (i.e I want to watch a comedy, genre->comedy and then sort by ratings and I can then easily find the “best” comedy that I haven’t already watched. Is this now possible in the new Plex version as well? (this is mainly why I’m currently preferring XBMC).

10. MatishMatish October 29th, 2011 12:12 am

First of all.. Thumbs up for these great updates. Really awesome!
    Especially a way to share my library with my friends. I was already looking for a possibility to do this a year ago and now it’s here :)
    One question.. If i share for example my movies section and a friend remotely (over the internet) watches a movie from my library. Does it affect the seen/unseen status in my Plex (Desktop/iPhone/iPad) environment?

11. wally007 October 29th, 2011 12:14 am

Oh noes. Now with this new Windows Media Center integration I will have a hard time not switching my livingroom Mac mini to Windows. LiveTV on Mac just sucks. EyeTV has not updated the app in 5 years and there does not seem to be another option.
    I havent had Windows PC since 2004, but it seems I will be converting one of my Mac’s to test soooon ……

12. RockStar October 29th, 2011 12:16 am

Awesome. Just awesome!

13. elan October 29th, 2011 12:16 am

@MatishMatish: nope :)

14. Jayce October 29th, 2011 12:22 am

So……… that means it will be released within the next two days? JOY

15. uber October 29th, 2011 12:27 am

Things look amazing. Definitely answered my question from the previous post about myPlex support on the desktop client. Looks like it was worth the wait and I’m looking forward to confirming that shortly.

Just a quick question. Does this release fix the airplay issue in iOS5 (i.e., the one where it can no longer multitask)? Also, does it extend on previous airplay functionality to permit 5.1 audio? I’m guessing not to the second question as I’m sure this would have been announced, but it can’t hurt to ask :)

This release is making me consider getting the mac mini more and more so I can have access to my content from anywhere through myPlex :). Thanks so much to the entire Plex team for their amazing, dedicated work.

16. Paul NeoStormer October 29th, 2011 12:32 am

Just finished watching the screencasts, all the updates (both desktop and mobile) will help me greatly, all the parts that I found missing in Plex are now in this update.

17. RockStar October 29th, 2011 12:32 am

Oh, this user basen sharing sorts the watched/unwatched flags aswell! Fantastic elan. Can hardly wait for some of these great features to be implemented on plex for samsung.

18. DeanDMX October 29th, 2011 12:47 am

Doom and gloom foreboding; In one of the screens the title is Red’s Dream but the poster is clearly One Man Band! What does it MEAN?!! ;)

19. elan October 29th, 2011 12:51 am

@DeanDMX: Wow, you worried me there for a second, but keen eyes. The image is cropped from grid view, and Red’s Dream was the item selected, off to the left :) You, sir, know your Pixar shorts.

20. Patrick October 29th, 2011 12:52 am

Guys, seriously?

This is ridiculously amazing!
    I’m not fussed about a Windows version, but all my friends will be. The No.1 question they ask is “what’s that app, can I get it”. Unfortunately I can no longer say smugly: “It’s Mac only, hehe”

Hats off to you guys, bloody brilliant

21. Phil October 29th, 2011 12:56 am

You guys HAVE been busy. That’s a pretty big set of changes. Can’t wait to get my filthy little fingers on it all.

Most excited about the client update – that’s the side that’s been the most frustrating to me. Features and organization are nice, but media playback is tops in my book. Hopefully with these changes, we’ll be able to stay more current and have the whole package.

BTW – I really like the “On Deck”/”Recently Added” feature. I think the wife will also. Good stuff.

There’s not much time left in October, so bring it on!

22. Me October 29th, 2011 12:56 am

Which XBMC version is this building upon/forked etc?
    Dharma?

23. mitah October 29th, 2011 12:58 am

nice update.. best so far since the .9 switch…

still, I AM missing a way to quickly change filters (or sorting order for that matter) once I am in a view… am I really the only one who would like to be able to change quickly switch between watched and unwatched without going back 2 menus?

but seriously, this is the best news I’ve heard in weeks… thank you guys.

24. Andre Reis October 29th, 2011 1:00 am

I’m flabbergasted. Flummoxed. Everything we wanted, and more.

25. Sascha October 29th, 2011 1:05 am

The Plex team just made me wet my pants. Again.

26. ktd October 29th, 2011 1:05 am

Seems like a great release but no auto fps adjustment and support for DTS-MA & TrueHD. :(
    Makes Plex kind of useless for a real media room.
    Great for bedroom, bathroom and mobile devices where’s quality isn’t that important though!

27. plakna October 29th, 2011 1:08 am

I LOVE YOU GUYS

28. Jerome October 29th, 2011 1:09 am

Absolutely awesome! That made me click that donation button :))

29. Martin October 29th, 2011 1:17 am

Great work guys! :)

Is automatic refresh rate switching supported now?

Or are you waiting for it to be integrated in XBMC (next version I read).

30. richard October 29th, 2011 1:20 am

wow, amazing update. Finally plex is on windows. now I am not forced to sit and wait for apple to sort out my hdmi problems, I can start looking at SFF PC options. my loyalty is to plex, not apple so this is great news for me.

31. Paul October 29th, 2011 1:21 am

Had to click the donate button for this. Great job! Everything is amazing!

32. SteeBro October 29th, 2011 1:36 am

This release will be simply amazing. We waited a long time for it but it seems as if it was worth the wait.

You leave me completely overwhelmed.

Thank you guys!!

33. Matthisk October 29th, 2011 1:40 am

This is awesome! Have not been this excited for a new release of something since me getting my iphone 3g. :D can not wait!

34. Charles F October 29th, 2011 1:44 am

Can’t wait to get my hands on this….does this fix the media on NAS/Plex operating under Lion issues?

35. David October 29th, 2011 1:56 am

Cool! Just a question. Didnt you just went through a big project leaving the xbmc? Why the switch back?

36. Jerome October 29th, 2011 2:00 am

Does anyone know where the Laiki Preview Release 1 (mentioned in the videos) can be downloaded?

37. Charles F October 29th, 2011 2:04 am

Also, how does myPlex work with other clients like the Roku2? I have set up my friend to access my media through her Roku2, which currently means she has access to everything including things like home movies he doesn’t need. Does myPlex work with Roku2 or ATV’s remote server settings?

38. Ad October 29th, 2011 2:14 am

Looks really great!
    The “Plex 0.9.5 “Laika” Client introduction” video displays Quicksilver logo for a few seconds, by I didn’t get what it brings or how Plex and Quicksilver are related?? (see at 08’43″)

39. Maze October 29th, 2011 2:17 am

Awesome! I’ll too click the donate button, you guys really deserve some extra beer.

40. Ozie October 29th, 2011 2:38 am

WOW.. so much work.. great job guys!
    funny that Plex finally gets the DVD option, after the mini mac looses the optical drive in the newer models:)
    I been getting tired of all the problems with EyeTV, so now might be the time to bootcamp the mini with windows and try out the WMC integration.. used to use WMC all the time way back in the day..
    again.. great job with 0.9.5

41. Luke October 29th, 2011 2:40 am

Cool guys, I really look forward to the latest release. Looks awesome!

42. Tony McDaniel October 29th, 2011 2:47 am

Wow! Great announcement.

One question: There were a couple of mentions of the Roku clients. Does that mean an update to the Roku app is coming as well?

43. Oncleben31 October 29th, 2011 3:29 am

Great ! Waiting the release. I hope the client for Apple TV will update to use all this new features.
    I hope the next step is the global localization of the Plex universe (clients, server, Plex online, etc.)

44. daiei27 October 29th, 2011 3:45 am

I am blown away… again!

I fell in love with Plex the first time I saw it, but truthfully we were forced to stop using it because we had so many A/V sync issues. I love Plex so much I kept checking back for updates, and now it sounds like we might be able to start using it again! With all of these cool bonus features thrown in, I (and my wife) are certain to love it!

It’s obvious a ton of work was put into this so thank you! I’ll definitely toss some money into your beer fund… assuming it works for us. ;)

45. p6jkf6tt6n October 29th, 2011 3:52 am

Looks awesome! Great job guys!

46. Andreas October 29th, 2011 3:52 am

Please consider changing “On Deck” to “Plex Recommends” or something along those lines. The current label is hard to understand if someone hasn’t explained it = bad usability.

That’s pretty much my only complaint. Awesome job, guys!

47. james October 29th, 2011 4:03 am

@Dean/Charles F: Plex runs like a champ under Lion for me, and I can’t recall any issues being reported – what are you referring to?

48. james October 29th, 2011 4:03 am

@David: We didn’t switch back, we just updated the parts we still used to the latest version :-) All the changes & improvements we made are still there!

49. james October 29th, 2011 4:04 am

@Jerome: It’s not available yet, but will be very soon!

50. james October 29th, 2011 4:05 am

@Charles F: Third-party clients will need to be updated to fully support myPlex.

51. Charles F October 29th, 2011 4:13 am

@James

Under Lion, if media is stored on a separate NAS (or any drive not directly connected to the Mac running PMS), playback is extremely bad…stuttering, stopping, lots of buffering, etc…its almost unusable for me. I haven’t updated my main Mac Mini to Lion yet, but have been testing on a couple iMacs and on each the same problem persists. There is also a thread in the forums discussing this…thanks!

52. Alastair October 29th, 2011 4:24 am

Is it possible to hide watched and sort by rating in any filter now like in plex 8?

53. JonnyV October 29th, 2011 4:26 am

The latest XBMC support for Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder … has this part of the XBMC code been brought over to Plex?

I’ve been using Plex since the early days (prior to the fork from XBMC) and love PLEX! Unfortunately, I’m still using the same 2006 Mac Mini which is unable to play 1080p video – despite upgrading to a 2.0 core2duo chip.

To make a long story short, I’m a long time support, prefer Plex, and I want to stay with Plex. But unfortunately, I’ll have to leave for XBMC (kicking and screaming by the way) without the support because I’d rather spend $25 for a video card then $700 for a new Mini.

So please say YES!

54. Augusto October 29th, 2011 4:33 am

Thank’s guys!!!

55. Trevor October 29th, 2011 4:44 am

@David. I believe what your talking about is when they ripped out the xbmc library system and made their own code “Alexandra” for the library system (PMS). The client has always been based on XBMC code which was in need of an overhaul.

56. darwin October 29th, 2011 5:05 am

I need this now!!!!

57. Simon Sbrigoli October 29th, 2011 5:30 am

Just added full italian translation on that link (plex for iOS) :)

58. Thomas October 29th, 2011 5:35 am

As Martin, I am also interested in this question: Is automatic refresh rate switching supported now?

59. Paul Philion October 29th, 2011 5:52 am

Happy, happy Plex user and very excited this new release!

Any news about clients for ATV1 and especially ATV2 4.4? My plan for Christmas gifts this year is used ATV1/2, jailbroken to run Plex and connect to my myPlex shared media. One for Dad, one for each brother, a couple for friends in town so we can do movie night at their place as well.

When, when, when????

Seriously, guys, thank you for such awesome home theater system. Freaking great!

60. lylesback2 October 29th, 2011 6:10 am

Great work!

Just a quick note: In the mobile video, although you blocked out your username and password, despite your best attempts.. you forgot to black out your signed in name + email at 5:51 :P

61. cheapshot October 29th, 2011 6:46 am

This update seems incredible, I am really excited. Plex keeps getting better and better.

62. Andre Reis October 29th, 2011 7:09 am

Hi guys,

Please add ‘Brazilian Portuguese’ as a language choice in LanguageSandwich.

Within iOS these are ‘Português’ and ‘Português (Portugal)’. The former is Brazilian, the latter is European Portuguese.

63. Daan October 29th, 2011 7:18 am

no on the fly filter changes for desktops?

64. fanclerks October 29th, 2011 7:46 am

This is great news and I can’t wait for it to be released and try it out. Hope the client is as stable as I’m expecting. I was curious though about the new thin client and whether there’s been any advancement on getting the lossless codecs (bitstreaming) working? If not but it’s on the list of enhancements for later, that’d be great too. Maybe some more information on the new skinning engine too. I’m assuming some (or all) of it was taken from XBMC? If so, I’d hope that it’d be easy to port the skins over.

65. Jper October 29th, 2011 7:48 am

This looks incredible! I knew that the devs had something amazing up their sleeves!

Can’t wait!!!

66. Matt October 29th, 2011 7:52 am

Excellent news. I was one of the many complaining about the lack of development on the plex player recently, so I’m very happy to see it has received some love. Can’t wait to try it out.

67. Jper October 29th, 2011 7:54 am

Just thought of something…

Does the update to the newest ffmpeg imply that PGS (blu-ray) subtitles will be viewable by mobile clients like iOS? It’s not specifically stated in the updates but thought maybe it will be included because of the massive player overhaul.

Thanks guys!

68. fanclerks October 29th, 2011 8:05 am

I also forgot I wanted to ask about if myPlex will have an API that other devs can access? I think it’d be a great way for something like Trakt to hook into to see our libraries.

69. Dave October 29th, 2011 8:17 am

So, I guess I should give up hope of any return of a Plex8-like menu structure? While It appears that many will be happy with the new “shelf”, I long for the days of simplicity. Select TV on the main menu and all of my shows are listed. Select Movies on the main menu and all of my movies are listed. Sigh….

70. fanclerks October 29th, 2011 8:38 am

@Dave October

I believe that’s more a part of the skinning engine than Plex itself. I could be wrong, but they could have added the ability to bypass that submenu and allow them to be toggled in other ways. We’ll have to wait and see or the devs could tell us.

71. oos October 29th, 2011 8:55 am

Cool with a windows-version, I might have to try that… Since it´s based on xbmc, does it play from uncompressed rar-archives like xbmc?

72. james October 29th, 2011 9:09 am

@oos: No, we’re still not supporting RAR files . Our library system is managed by the media server and completely different to XBMC’s.

73. bill e goat October 29th, 2011 9:56 am

This looks amazing! Running Plex through Windows Media Center is quite intriguing. Currently I’m able to bitstream HD audio through WMC, will this functionality work when running Plex through WMC? Once again great work and can’t wait to try it out!

74. AJ October 29th, 2011 10:00 am

Let me be the first, not to congratulate you for a stupendous amount of work on a suite of amazing and unmatched capabilities in Plex that will surely benefit all, but rather to bitch that one tiny pet feature for which I hold a torch was not addressed.

I want my money back. Please cut a check for $0.00 to my numbered swiss account immediately.

75. PilotBob October 29th, 2011 10:08 am

Some great new stuff in the Plex client… a few questions…

1. Why does iOS/Andriod get so much love when having an awesome Roku client would bring so many more people to Plex. Roku client seems to be just one guy working on his own time. Perhaps you need to hire him so he can work full time on it.

2. If I run Plex in Windows Media Center… will Media Center Extenders… like the XBox be able to access the full plex UI like when running it on windows as shown in the video?

3. How does this affect LG/Samsungs clients? I assume they will need to update them to work with myPlex and get the OnDeck view and Direct play? Why do I think this is not going to happen?

Thanks…
    BOb

76. Nate Thelen October 29th, 2011 10:11 am

So now that we have a Windows client can we hope for bitstreaming or conversion to LPCM of HD audio sometime soon?

77. Russ October 29th, 2011 10:30 am

First off, the features we are about to get are spectacular! I am so excited to play with it! Congrats Plex team, you deserve it. The myPlex cloud will bring in so many new users, and reassure us why Plex is just so fantastic. The ability to play any content, anywhere, and on all these different clients just blows me away, by just logging in. I’ve held off on buying an iPad because I didn’t want to bother on learning how to port forward, and all that (so I could watch TV on it at an audition or something). But now, knowing I can, without port forwarding, and just logging into myPlex, I will probably purchase one JUST FOR YOUR APP!

And the new client, just WOW. Almost every feature I’ve wanted in one big release. Recently Added, On Deck, new skinning engine, Queue…just fantastic. However, I would like to know if we could customize what we see on the shelves? For instance, I would rather see “Recently Aired” vs. Recently Added for TV Shows, and “Recently Released” vs. “Recently Added” for Movies. And “On Deck” is so new and never been done, so I will need to use it first hand and see if I like it…in concept it’s terrific. Although, typically, when I watch a movie, it’s very rare I start watching 10 different movies and don’t finish them.

Are there other features I was hoping to see? Sure, but why even mention them right now? These guys have really blown me away with what they are capable of. Not only are the new features amazing, but I bet there are waaay less bugs :)

Yes, I agree with Bob that the Roku client should really be developed, and possibly allow a thin client similar to the one on Mac, Windows and iOS platforms. They are so inexpensive, and the app store is pretty wide open. The client currently available…well, I really appreciate the time and effort, and to give people an option. But for me personally, it has a long way to go to be adopted in my living room.

Great job team, I will be here refreshing the page every 5 minutes, waiting for that download link!

78. MaenXe October 29th, 2011 11:15 am

Wow, second best news this week! Beating out the refund from my insurance agent, but not quite enough to surpass the birth of my second son. Good work guys! There will be a couple more android client purchases from my friends/family, and I think I’ll donate some beer money too. Best. Update. Ever.

79. JonnyV October 29th, 2011 12:49 pm

@ 7:16 of the client video it shows “CrystalHD” as an available hardware acceleration choice. Does this mean a modified Mac Mini with the Broadcom Crystal HD card will now be supported by Plex?

80. JonnyV October 29th, 2011 12:50 pm

…either way. Thanks for all the hard work!

81. elan October 29th, 2011 1:07 pm

@JonnyV: I would assume so, but it would be considered unsupported. Give it a try :-)

82. JonnyV October 29th, 2011 1:10 pm

Nice! Thank you Elan! :)

83. Steve October 29th, 2011 1:12 pm

Love the ‘On Deck’ feature!!

Some other things have me disappointed…

- No mention of any fix to the video sync problem that occurs when video & television frame rate don’t match up perfectly.

- Still no user accounts. You guys say how great the AppleTV is for a client, but when you have more than one client in the house, used by different people the watched/unwatched markers become useless. This becomes even a bigger issue with the new ‘On Deck” feature.

- Search function still hasn’t seen any improvement.

I understand a lot of issues will be fixed with this release, and I’m thankful for that and the great new features. But the three things I was hoping for the most, after waiting such a long time for a new release, are still missing.

84. Atrus October 29th, 2011 1:39 pm

Jper: Yes, PGS subtitles are better supported in 0.9.5 :)
    Martin: No, Automatic refresh rate switching is not supported, BUT “Sync playback to display” is.

85. elan October 29th, 2011 2:18 pm

@Steve: I specifically mentioned improved A/V sync improvements. Multiple user accounts are on the roadmap. And I’m not sure what sort of search improvements you’re looking for. I think the glass is actually half-full.

86. GSX October 29th, 2011 2:32 pm

I’m definitely looking forward to this release.

Great work everyone!

87. Edwin October 29th, 2011 2:49 pm

With all these positive changes there is one thing that springs in mind: will MyPlex be available free of charge and will Plex stay free?

88. David October 29th, 2011 3:08 pm

Briliant!!!, please release NOW!

89. Michael October 29th, 2011 3:41 pm

Elan-
    Will the new XBMC HTTP API be supported, so I can use something like XBMC commander as a remote?

90. fanclerks October 29th, 2011 3:47 pm

@Edwin

myPlex is free and already available for you to start queueing up stuff if you want. You just go to my.plexapp.com and it’s right there. If you have a forum account, you can get in using that, that’s what I did. I’ve also seen that some were able to have it send an invite code using the “resend invite” option? I haven’t tested that but I can confirm that it’s working and the bookmark works great in Chrome. Just anxious for the release of Laika already *giddy*.

91. rich October 29th, 2011 7:23 pm

amazing work guys. i know something was cooking with the radio silence!

92. Ian October 29th, 2011 7:56 pm

Latest FFMPEG bits eh? Does this mean you can stream WTV files?

And the DTS audio trans-code problem will finally be fixed?

93. Ian October 29th, 2011 8:01 pm

LOL. RTFA Ian. DTS distortion fixed. AWESOME.

Refresh rate matching on the client? As long as this handles metadata on par with MediaBrowser it may replace that as my library client on my MCE rig.

How about some MAD-VR renderer support?

94. Thomas October 29th, 2011 9:15 pm

@Atrus : “Sync playback to display” — that sounds really exiting! Can you explain with some examples how this will work? For e.g. a 24 Hz file?

95. Thomas October 29th, 2011 9:27 pm

Will the iOS client finally support DD5.1 for Airplay? This would make Plex the most awesome media manager out there…

96. Olav October 30th, 2011 12:45 am

Great new release, although I’ve had my mobile devises set up with dyndns already.

I really hope you’ll implement airplay for android in you next release!!

97. Olav October 30th, 2011 12:46 am

And I love the samsung client! Cool -didn’t know about that one. Sweet1

98. me October 30th, 2011 6:25 am

Funny article because Plex assumes iCloud and apple are some how magical when it comes to cloud computing but realistically iCloud sucks and is plagued with issues. I like Plex but don’t like how they suck on Apple’s teet all the time. Be a bit more open-minded and quit trying to mimick apple and quit trying to develop everything for OSX when there are still infinitely more people out there with PCs and Android.

Funny… errors even posting a comment to this thread to a database error, and they want to push a copied cloud component?

99. james October 30th, 2011 7:21 am

@me: The post was meant to be a little bit of tongue-in-cheek humour :-) We don’t think Apple can do no wrong, but we do aim to emulate their attention to detail and ease of using/configuring their products. We’ve been working on myPlex since before iCloud was announced (although thanks to the rumour sites everyone knew it was coming!) and I don’t really see which features were “copied”. Apologies for the site being a bit flakey today – the web server is under massive load from the amount of attention the new releases are getting. The cloud component is on a separate server and is operating normally. As for the OS X comment – we’re Mac guys, and while Windows had plenty of media center solutions when we started out there weren’t that many for OS X, so naturally that’s where we started. Maybe you missed the subsequent posts announcing an Android update (bringing it up to feature parity with the iOS client), a new version of the Windows media server which now has exactly the same features as the OS X server, and a brand new port of the OS X client to Windows.

100. Atrus October 30th, 2011 12:21 pm

Thomas: This setting enables syncing the video to the refresh rate of the monitor. There is 3 methods you can choose from. Audio Clock, Video Clock(resample audio) or Video Clock(Drop/Dupe Audio). Audio has to stay in sync, this can either be done by resampling, skipping/duplicating packets, or adjusting the clock if it gets out of sync too far. Resampling has the advantage that the speed of the video can be changed considerably, so 24 fps can be sped up to 25 fps to play at PAL speed. The disadvantage of resampling is that it doesn’t work with passthrough, and there is a slight loss of audio quality. Skipping/duplicating audiopackets has no loss of audio quality, but the speed of the video can only be changed a little to avoid doing a skip/duplication too often, most of the time it’s inaudible, but it can produce a very audible click. Adjusting the clock has the best audioquality, but some extra video jitter can occur, also the speed of the video can’t change much, as the audio will sync the clock more often the more the speed of the video is changed.

101. Nuno Lopes October 30th, 2011 1:29 pm

Congrats, this is a dream come true. Almost all the features I though missing are finally coming.

I really hope one day XBOX360 get’s supported.

Outstanding release.

102. daiei27 October 30th, 2011 5:12 pm

@Boots: Great videos! Thank you for putting them together.

I finally got around to watching them and it was much easier to pick up the new features for this upgrade. Well done!

103. trainspotta October 31st, 2011 12:11 am

Installed it yesterday and now I’m streaming FullHD downsized on the fly to 720P from my Mac Mini at home to my iPad2 in my office… INSTANT, no glitches…

THIS is a REVOLUTION! Thank you sooooooooo much guys! Gonna donate now!

104. Jason November 1st, 2011 5:42 am

Plex is useless for many of us with no support for
    DTS-MA and Dolby True HD. Installed and tried it and quickly removed from my Mac.

105. elan November 1st, 2011 3:56 pm

@Jason and @Juan, you’re both coming from the same IP and asking for the same thing. I hear you. In stereo.

106. Sajid Azmi November 2nd, 2011 3:55 am

I’m using Plex for a while on Mac OS X Lion, and I also have my ‘Netflix’ account configured on Plex.

The trouble is I can see all my movie listing from Netflix via Plex, but I cannot play any movie. I searched on the web, and lot of people have the same error with netflix. When can I get a fix for this.

Thanks for an excellent program.

Sajid

107. brandon November 6th, 2011 6:03 pm

Where is the favorites menu?

108. Tobias November 6th, 2011 10:42 pm

Plex is awesome! <3

i use:
    Plex Windows Server
    Plex Android App (Phone/Tab)
    Plex iOs App (Phone)
    Plex Windows Client!

Works perfect!Will donate ;)

109. Michael January 9th, 2012 3:32 pm

@Tobias : where can I get the Plex Client for Windows pls?

also, I can’t get the “plex media center” to appear in my windows media center. Can please someone provide me with some instructions?
    I’ve installed the plex media server on windows and it’s working fine (from plex for samsung client).
    But what I miss is proper plex client for windows and or the “plex media center” in windows media center.
    Thanks !!

110. Michael January 9th, 2012 3:39 pm

I must had been blind to not see it in the downloads section. mea culpa.

111. seo January 31st, 2012 7:37 am

Hey this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!