Plex v0.9.3.4 - Mo fixes, mo Barkley - Plex Blog

Plex v0.9.3.4 – Mo fixes, mo Barkley

| 28 Jul 2011 | by 56 Comments

Many thanks to all who downloaded the last release! As might have been expected after such a big set of changes, there were a few issues that were reported that we’ve been working hard this week to resolve.

• NEW: We’ve added a preference to disable media file deletion, and we’ve defaulted it to off, for the sake of safety (yes, Bruce, we’re listening). If you want to enable the option, please head to your friendly neighborhood web-based media manager at http://localhost:32400/manage and enable it:

Plex Media Manager

• NEW: There is a new API endpoint /library/optimize which, as you might expect, optimizes the library database. Useful in clients or cron jobs.

And the fixes:

• FIX: When refreshing a library section because changes to folders were detected, we wait until the changes stop before kicking off the scan, so that we don’t scan partial/locked files.
  • FIX: Custom artwork with spaces in path was not displaying properly.
  • FIX: This is an amusing one because it’s been there for a long time and nobody noticed. When doing a new scan, every 16th movie wasn’t displayed in the media manager (it was scanned, it just didn’t show up until you switched sections). Thanks to louisd for noticing it!
  • FIX: Our friend diamondsw helped us debug an issue where certain MKV files were failing to play on mobile devices.
  • FIX: Boots has been reporting this one for a while, there was an occasional hang in the media manager when scrolling quickly.
  • FIX: The was an issue scanning if your username had an apostrophe in it.
  • FIX: A (rather rare) crash in refreshing/timed updates.
  • FIX: [Windows] Sign all Python extensions. Apparently some of the AV products are coming up with some false positives on the media server, and the hope is that this might improve things.
  • FIX: [Windows] When exiting, don’t hang waiting for system bundle.
  • FIX: [Windows] When OpenSSL DLLs were installed into system, PMS system bundles wouldn’t start. This would cause the “no agents” issue.
  • FIX: [Linux] You can now use the environment variable PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR to specify where all of the media server’s user files go (library, plug-ins, logs, etc.)
  • FIX: [WIN32/Linux]: If multiple copies of a piece of media are found, load metadata for all copies.

Because you’ve all been so awesome, as always, you get two photos of Barkley. Yes, he’s on his back a lot. No, he’s not lazy.

259320 10100105388467465 427824 46619156 663608 o

241110 10100105384465485 427824 46619005 5725839 o

1. Chris July 28th, 2011 3:00 am

Great – thank you so much Elan! Can’t wait for the Linux version.

Any chance of getting a hand with my crashing issue? I tweeted @plexapp you over the weekend, but didn’t hear back. I know you’re busy, so no problem if you don’t have time at the moment.

2. Ben July 28th, 2011 3:02 am

This will certify me as an unobservant dunce, but I had NO IDEA there was a web interface!

AWESOME!!!

3. Jeff July 28th, 2011 4:22 am

I second Ben’s comment; I have been a longtime plex user and also had no idea there was a web interface for media manager.

Ive installed the upgrade and I am able to access the web interface, but I do not see the delete setting.
    No worries as it is still enabled in my client

4. Tim July 28th, 2011 4:24 am

Count me as another one on the dunce list!

5. elstreif July 28th, 2011 4:36 am

Awesome! Thanks for the bug fixes. I’m not sure I like the media delete option being hidden like that but I can live with it.

Sadly, I still can’t delete metadata agent plugins that were installed manually and then manually deleted via the Finder. They still show up in the PMS’s Metadata Agent Settings.

6. Michelle July 28th, 2011 4:51 am

I took a look at the web interface, but don’t seem to get the use of it. It appears as an empty “fresh” database. Isn’t it supposed to reflect my local plex media server?

7. utility73 July 28th, 2011 6:08 am

The supposedly feature from 0.9.3.3 “NEW: If subtitle files are dropped in next to a piece of media, they will be picked up on-the-fly without a need to rerefresh the item or section.” is still not working for me (posted on forums).

Meda scanner log says it picked up the .srt files but it seems they not get matched to the media file as they are not available in plex client when playing the media.

Actually it got worse, now it doesn’t even pick new subtitle files up when I do a “Force Refresh”

(Local Media Assets are activated in appropriate agent config)

8. utility73 July 28th, 2011 6:25 am

Another thing “FIX: When refreshing a library section because changes to folders were detected, we wait until the changes stop before kicking off the scan, so that we don’t scan partial/locked files.”

Not sure if this is new with 0.9.3.4 but now if I change something in the media folders (adding new files, renaming existing ones for testing purposes, etc.) PMS doesn’t immediately start a refresh but only after some indefinite delay. Now I have to manually trigger update in PMS if I want to have the new/changed media available in Plex without having to wait for some indefinite amount of time.

9. Russell July 28th, 2011 6:36 am

Having it be optional is great, but why not just have the option in the Mac Media Manager preferences…going to the web-based media server seems odd and like one extra step that doesn’t need to be taken…

10. elan July 28th, 2011 6:45 am

@Russell: You really want to know? Because Interface Builder is a giant piece of crap and adding that preference to the Cocoa preferences was resulting in a corrupt XIB file. We figured since that preference is rarely changed, it wouldn’t kill the users to load up our TOTALLY AWESOME web media manager.

11. elan July 28th, 2011 6:46 am

@utility73: Correct, PMS kicks off a refresh 60 seconds after the changes have stopped, so that we try to avoid scanning partial files.

Can you point me to the forum thread?

12. sandman4sure July 28th, 2011 9:00 am
  13. utility73 July 28th, 2011 9:23 am

@elan: Thanks for your response.

About trigger of refresh: Good to know. Can totally live with 60s delay.

About the other issue: “Subtitles added later next to media item” http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/28409-subtitles-added-later-next-to-media-item/

14. NOKIABLOG July 28th, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Plexteam

Do you have any plans to bring PLEX APP to Meego, like the Nokia N9 Device what will released in september? QT?

THX

NOKIABLOG.CH TEAM

15. puithove July 28th, 2011 11:29 am

Sweet – Just updated to the new Linux version and will be using the Ubuntu package/repository. Will make things easier for the future. Thanks for doing that!

16. Martin July 28th, 2011 11:47 am

@elan:

Have you looked into the “audio volume set too high when transcoding” bug introduced after 0.9.3.3?

It’s very annoying on the iPad 2, with all that sound “crackling” :)

Forum post:

17. SCSI July 28th, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks for the updated unRAID/Slackware release. I will be installing it when I get home.

18. MarkS July 28th, 2011 2:23 pm

Web interface is brilliant. Cheers guys.

19. fprince July 28th, 2011 3:45 pm

hey!

first of all, thank you for this awesome release!

but I have one question. I configured my library for about 2 weeks, and everything is fine. Now i would like to update my mac os to lion. for some performance reasons I really need to do a clean install. the problem now is that i don’t want to spend another 2 weeks to set everything up again. my question is: is it possible to save all my plex related files to an external drive and the put everything right in place. and if that works, WHICH files do I need to copy so that everything works as it does now??

thanks for your help, and thanks for this awesome piece of program. I love it

20. docksteaderluke July 28th, 2011 4:49 pm

STOKED! AWESOME JOB ELAN!!! I can’t wait to get home and try it out! :D:D:D

21. bdumes July 29th, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks, Elan! I am delighted to know that you are listening! :-)

22. macvw July 29th, 2011 3:34 am

Any chance of Airplay in a next future :) ? i know the idea has been rounding..

23. dave July 29th, 2011 6:52 am

wow a web interface, how have I missed that.

24. syncopation July 29th, 2011 11:51 am

@NOKIABLOG lol, are you kidding. Meego already smells dead. N9 coming or not – doesn’t change anything. Is this a joke? Dear Plex devs – please don’t waste your time on this. :)

25. Aayush Arya July 29th, 2011 12:08 pm

Am I the only one who cannot find a download link for this version? The downloads page lists 0.9.3.3 as the current version.

26. Aayush Arya July 29th, 2011 12:10 pm

Ah, got it from the homepage.

It’d be great if you could provide a link to the download in the post announcing a release and also update this page: http://www.plexapp.com/download.php.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to do an awesome job with this app.

27. Brian Donovan July 29th, 2011 5:06 pm

@fprince: Because of the sheer size of all the PMS data I keep it on a separate (internal) drive, as my main drive is an SSD with not a whole lot of space. I believe all the relevant PMS data are stored in ~/Library/Application Settings/Plex Media Server. If you copy that folder elsewhere and then copy it back after you do the clean install, your library should be preserved. You may also want to do the same for all the files in ~/Library/Preferences starting with “com.plexapp” – there will probably be quite a few of them. Make sure PMS isn’t running when you copy these files.

Also, I’m glad you all appreciate the Web Manager. I’m going to write a blog post about it in the near future.

28. doc July 29th, 2011 6:16 pm

i love plex!! but like 0.9.3.3: plex media server has a 100% cpu usage under lion on one cpu :(

29. HLN July 29th, 2011 6:32 pm

Elan,

I just got the new Mac Mini 2011 with AMD discreet video card. Will Plex able to take advantage of this card for bitstreaming? Would love to be able to play DTS-MA and Dolby HD. High res audio is so so awesome. Plex too.

Thanks in advance Elan.

30. JamesK July 29th, 2011 6:37 pm

Please have support for bitstreaming audio for Mac Mini 2011. I will donate an extreme amount of money if you can make this happen soon Elan :)

my DTS-MA, Dolby True HD capable receiver and Mac Mini 2011 and myself will thank you and thank you for this request.

31. player3e July 30th, 2011 1:29 am

i love it
    but 0.9.304 version has some problem
    i use korean version of plex
    it always find new version of plex(maybe 0.9.304 vs 0.9.3.4)
    and update with us-version of plex(kr version -> us version)
    plz fix it

32. pippo July 30th, 2011 11:13 am

Dear Elan, thanks a lot for this.

Important feature missing for me: a way to list all the library items with either the yellow triangle (in the bin) or the blue star (duplicated): sometimes my bin shows full and I have no idea why. I would like to give a look before empty it. SImilarly, some items may be duplicated just accidentally, I’d like to check now and then.

If your library is big, I promise you this is not an easy task to accomplish just by inspection…

thanks

33. Ryan July 30th, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks for all the great work Elan!

Just one annoying bug in the windows version. 0.9.304 =/= 0.9.3.4 and it keeps finding an update. May want to change the version number somewhere so that they match. That is all.

34. Jason P July 31st, 2011 2:07 am

Yes, my vote is on the bitstream audio too. I too just bought a new Mac Mini that can do DTS-MA and DD True HD. Please Please Please add support for this Elan. I need to get rid of my Windows 7 Media Browser and use Plex inclusively.

Everyone, please write Elan and help me vote this in. Elan seems to ignore this request :) Just kidding. Please please give me my high res audio. For the love of God :).

Thank you for such an awesome app for the Mac.

35. Dave July 31st, 2011 11:32 am

I’m having a whole core running at 100% on a Mac Mini with Lion (Plex Media Server). Others having this as well?

36. Souses Raul August 1st, 2011 1:16 am

Mr. Elan,

Love your dog. Like many, I bought a new Mac Mini 2011 yesterday. We need bitstream audio desperately. I have held out for this new Mini for 4 years. Now that it is here, please support it won’t you?

I love your dog. I am willing to say whatever for you to get me bitstream audio :)

37. Lezz August 1st, 2011 1:34 pm

This version (and 0.9.3.3) breaks my audio sync on divx / avi shows and some HD mkv files :(

The audio is delayed…

38. RickMazone August 1st, 2011 5:18 pm

Yes I like to vote for DTS-MA and DD TrueHD surround audio too.

39. Gunserotti August 2nd, 2011 3:51 am

Thanks fo the update. Yet another bitstream request. PLEX is almost perfect.

40. Sotiris August 2nd, 2011 5:15 am

Plex use 100% of core on Mac OSX Lion

41. elan August 2nd, 2011 5:33 am
  42. nuno August 5th, 2011 11:02 am

Hi…i’m too have 100% of cpu on my macbook pro 2010. sometimes it goes till 130% and heats up a get noisy.
    I’ll try the solution above.
    Any solution dor the loud and noisy sound on the new version of the player? the sound its ok on the 0.9.2.7 version but very big subtitles. At the 0.9.3.4 the subs are ok but very loud sound (twice as loud) an get distorted.
    Any solutions?
    thanks

43. elan August 5th, 2011 11:15 am

@nuno: read a bit up to find a workaround for the CPU issue.

44. nuno August 8th, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi, i changed the update do daily and now its fine but when playing a movie (mkv) i’ve got ffmpeg at 180%.
    What about the sound issue? any news?
    thanks

45. elan August 9th, 2011 1:12 am

@nuno: it’s normal for ffmpeg to use your CPU, it’s transcoding a video and doing it faster than you play for buffering reasons.

We’ll fix the loud audio shortly.

46. Grazzyman August 14th, 2011 11:34 am

Hi, since the latest fixes, I’ve been getting picture ‘tearing’ in fast moving scenes/panning. Never had the problem before. Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

47. zelig2 August 18th, 2011 2:44 pm

Since upgrading to 0.9.3.4 I get buffering issues on my Synology NAS (ds1511+) when playing 720p mkv files. The previous version didn’t have any major problems on my NAS once I upgraded to 3GB of ram. Maybe it has to do with the CPU usage that people are seeing on Lion. I’ll try playing with different settings for that. I do know it never detected a change in one of my folders even though I had the Automatically detect folder changes selected.

48. wanyd August 20th, 2011 11:57 am

I love your dog. I am willing to say whatever for you to get me bitstream audio

49. Jens August 20th, 2011 6:39 pm

When can we reckon to get the Qnap version released?
    Can’t wait to update… ;)

50. Bram August 22nd, 2011 10:11 am

@Jens: you can find a qpkg on the QNAP forum: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=47981 Works quite well for me. Do read the initial post there, it might contain important information regarding the installing.

51. Jens August 23rd, 2011 10:44 am

Great, Thanks Bram!!! I didn’t expect that there’s a release already around when not donwloadable on the download/linux website…

52. Andrew August 24th, 2011 5:29 pm

I am having trouble with scanning files that have been re-named or moved. It will not get any information no matter what type of scan I use.

53. Feds August 31st, 2011 12:10 pm

I really appreciate your efforts on this job! BUT I have several troubles.
    1. On Mac OS X platform, Subtitles which is not integrated in the media file(.srt and .ass files) cannot be loaded automatically when the media file is played even if the subtitle files are named after the media file and placed just beside the media file.
    2. Subtitles which is not integrated in the media file cannot be streamed to the iOS app. There is no option in the iOS client to choose the .srt or .ass file beside the media file.
    3. In direct streaming mode, when I streamed a h.264 mp4 file to my iPhone ,the CPU usage is 99%, which means the plex server was still transcoding the iPhone compatible media file including the video part and the direct streaming did not take effect!
    Is there any way to fix them ? Thank you!

54. Feds August 31st, 2011 12:49 pm

Well ! For the 3rd trouble, I found the key! the bitrates of the acc audio of that mp4 file is 160kbps which is bigger than 128k(default unchangeable ) and have to be transcoded. It is a kind of waste because iPhone is capable to handle 160kbps acc audio. So I wonder if you can give us an option for the bitrates of audio part of transcoding just like the video part.

55. Stefan September 28th, 2011 8:52 pm

hello,

I must say well done with Plex, the program is runnig 24/7 on my Mac mini!

It´s been a while since I heard some something about any upcoming releases or updates. Atleast on this page. Do you have any information to share??

56. fama October 23rd, 2011 6:32 pm

Hello,

Is/Will there be any more developments for Plex?

Many thanks for your great and amazing quality product.