Plex v0.9.3.3 - Halfway to the stars - Plex Blog

Plex v0.9.3.3 – Halfway to the stars

| 20 Jul 2011 | by 78 Comments

Wow, OK, so it’s been a while.

The recent paucity of blog posts has not been for a lack of anything to talk about, nor for a lack of desire to write, but rather from the sheer volume of other things that I’ve had to do. Quite on the contrary, I love writing prose instead of code, and the sense we all have is that Plex is rapidly picking up speed: Just in the last month or two, we’ve grown our team, we’ve worked with Verizon on their in-car telematics solution (Plex in the back seat, anyone?), and are working with Netgear, Cisco, and Synology in order to make sure the Plex Media Server runs well on their NAS devices and is easily available to their customers. And that’s just skimming the surface…

We’re also in the process of making some major enhancements to our platform, and along the way to unveiling that, we decided to make an interim release. Fixes! New stuff! Rejoicing!

I also want to take a moment and point out that if you’re looking for real-time conversation about Plex, there are two great resources: Our Twitter feed is a great way to get questions answered, and see what we’re up to, and our public Campfire chat room usually has some Plexians in there who are happy to help you or just chat. I personally hang out there quite a bit as well, as I enjoy meeting and talking with Plex users from around the world.

Without further ado, let’s jump into the changes in this release, which I’ll group into a few different areas. The releases can be downloaded directly from the Plex home page (direct download links). After a day or two, we’ll enable auto-updates, and the Linux/NAS builds will appear shortly, as it takes a bit of time to build and package them.

By Popular Request:

• NEW: Support for deleting files in the library. Lots of people wanted this one.
  • NEW: Initial support for Photo library sections. This means that the Plex Media Server can serve up your photos without needing to use iPhoto/Aperture, which of course doesn’t exist on Windows or Linux. We’re in the process of adding support to all the clients (e.g. next version of iOS/Android apps will add support, next firmware update for LG TV will add support), but Plex for Mac already supports it in this release. I like this one personally because it means that the Plex Media Server is now complete in the basic types of media it can scan and serve up.

Plex Media Manager 4

• NEW: Automatic audio boost when mixing down multichannel to stereo for mobile devices. No, you’re not hard of hearing.
  • NEW: If subtitle files are dropped in next to a piece of media, they will be picked up on-the-fly without a need to rerefresh the item or section.
  • NEW: Support for SUB/IDX subtitles in Plex for Mac. They’re chunky evil bitmaps, but we love them. Sort of.
  • NEW: Support for DTS > AC3 transcoding in transcoder (useful for LG TV, ATV2 and others).
  • FIX: Subtitle scaling is now uniform, no more giant subtitles. No, you don’t need a different prescription for your glasses.
  • FIX: Anamorphic videos were not Direct Streamed.
  • FIX: More videos in general Direct Stream (level, nitrate, segment size issues).
  • FIX: Improved selection of subtitles with “shown with foreign audio” setting.
  • FIX: The SD MKV A/V sync issue.
  • FIX: A few bugs on Lion, Plex should now be Lion-ready (which answers this question)!

Platform Parity:

Over time, we want to tend towards platform parity, where features are available on all systems, whenever possible. We’ve taken some important steps towards this:

• NEW: [Windows] iTunes support! (We’ll also be adding support for Linux, for those who have their iTunes XML stored on their Linux-based NAS devices.)
  • NEW: [Windows/Linux] Support for timed and automatic library refreshes.

Music:

We’re working hard to improve support for music inside Plex, and have made a number of changes in the core, music scanner, and agents, including:

• NEW: Support for “Various Artists” (compilations) in music sections.
  • NEW: Initial support for multi-disc albums in music sections.
  • FIX: Much improved matching, far fewer false matches.

Other:

Even just with the above, this would be a pretty awesome release, but hey, there’s actually a lot more.

• NEW: Faster transcoder startup.
  • NEW: Much faster TV and music metadata loading.
  • NEW: [Windows] Authenticode all binaries (hopefully preventing AV software from freaking out).
  • NEW: [Windows] Configure firewall on install.
  • NEW: Listen on new multicast group in GDM to avoid Windows 7 networking bug.
  • FIX: Issue where Vorbis streams were not transcoded.
  • FIX: Better logging for Python scanner errors while scanning.
  • FIX: [OS X] Database migration progress dialog didn’t always work properly.
  • FIX: Many fixes for GDM networking code.
  • FIX: [Windows] Scans stopping without completing.
  • FIX: [Windows] Server could become unresponsive.
  • FIX: [Windows] Conflicts with user-installed Python.
  • FIX: In certain cases, iOS app wasn’t showing channel images.
  • FIX: Unmatched items could become rematched, and items matched to a different agent could go back to the default agent.
  • FIX: [OS X] Cocoa media manager no longer jumps back to the grid when you are viewing details during a scan.
  • FIX: Hang when remotely playing one file followed by the next on Plex for Mac.
  • FIX: [OS X] Directory names are served up in precomposed UTF-8 on OS X (instead of decomposed).
  • FIX: [Linux] Crashes reading certain JPEG files.
  • FIX: [Linux] Image quality wasn’t as good for posters.
  • FIX: [Linux] Advertise on the real IP, not localhost.
  • FIX: [Linux] Playing files > 2GB failed.
  • FIX: [Linux] Fanart was scaled too small.
  • FIX: [Linux] If HOME was set to /, cache path wasn’t computed correctly.
  • FIX: Disable IPv6 on Linux/Windows by default, seems to cause problems in some cases.
  • FIX: Extreme memory usage or crashes analyzing ISO files.
  • FIX: Some crashes on shutdown, and also sped it up.
  • FIX: Don’t add the “All Episodes” directory if we don’t have any (e.g. in watched tree).
  • FIX: When refreshing older media libraries, bring remote media (poster/art) references local.
  • FIX: [OS X] Massive memory leak switching sections in the Cocoa media manager.
  • FIX: Offer even higher bitrates over 3G.
  • FIX: Issue with media streams in the database that could cause a transcode to fail on start.
  • FIX: A handful of other small bugs and crashes.

XML API:

Along with the new core features and fixes, we keep enhancing the Plex Media Server’s API. There are new clients appearing all the time, the most recent of which is for Samsung TVs and Bluray players (I’ve tried it, works great!), and we like to provide a rich HTTP interface for these clients. Full documentation for the API will be available shortly.

• NEW: Media XML contains width and height for video and photos.
  • NEW: New endpoint GET /library/sections/X/allLeaves (returns all tracks, episodes, etc.)
  • NEW: New endpoint DELETE /library/metadata/X
  • NEW: Ability to search by filename.
  • FIX: Clipping bug in the container paging API.
  • FIX: Files with ‘%’ characters were not encoded correctly in XML.

Because it’s been such a long time, and this release has so many awesome fixes and enhancements, you get a bonus photo of Barkley.

Photo 1

Photo 2

1. zAo July 20th, 2011 1:31 pm

Wow, nice update!

Thanks alot. Currently downloading Lion, will update afterwards.

2. Tony Reilly July 20th, 2011 1:33 pm

Can anyone confirm the Audio Issues (i.e. no stereo after playing AC3 track) is no longer an issue in Lion!

3. Coldorak July 20th, 2011 1:35 pm

Platform parity would do great with a Plex for win… client!
    Good job guys!

4. wes July 20th, 2011 1:36 pm

where is the new linux version?
    the labs page still has the old one

5. elan July 20th, 2011 1:38 pm

@wes, as mentioned in the post, we’re working on Linux builds, they’ll be up shortly.

6. Martin July 20th, 2011 1:43 pm

elan:

Is the Lion audio issue fixed (or do we still have to manually copy over the old kext from 10.6.7)?

Thanks a lot for all your hard work! :)

/Martin

7. elan July 20th, 2011 1:47 pm

@Martin: Hey! Great question. I’ve heard from at least one person that some audio issues persist in Lion, but it’s unclear.

8. ozi July 20th, 2011 1:50 pm

Srly guys, thank so much for the work….

I convinced my self, after day to day self brainwash, to not install Lion because of Plex

It seems it was for nothing :)

thanks again

9. mav July 20th, 2011 1:59 pm

It’s not showing up via in-plex software update.

10. Daniel July 20th, 2011 2:01 pm

Thank you!! Picking up a new Mac mini today to cut the cord and the fact that you already have a lion release is fantastic news!!

11. rvb3n July 20th, 2011 2:02 pm

Great (thx), but still no Qnap support?

12. shapetheLOLa July 20th, 2011 2:03 pm

Cant find it anyway either, not on the page (theres only 0.9.2.7) and not with the automatic update within plex.

13. George July 20th, 2011 2:11 pm

Is it just me, I’m seeing only 0.9.2.7 still on all the Mac download pages and links.

14. Nike July 20th, 2011 2:39 pm

same for me mav

15. DeanDMX July 20th, 2011 2:44 pm

AV sync bug is still there. Also it’s not just SD MKV files. My test video is a 720p MKV that always loses sync but plays fine in VLC. Sigh.

16. Nike July 20th, 2011 2:47 pm

Sorry.. “The releases can be downloaded directly from the Plex home page (direct download links). After a day or two, we’ll enable auto-updates”

17. audix July 20th, 2011 3:28 pm

This is really an amazing update! Thank you very much.

18. NEI July 20th, 2011 3:36 pm

YES! File deletion! Thank you so much!

19. Seb July 20th, 2011 3:37 pm

Can you update the link on main page for new version please. Thx much for update!

20. Chris C July 20th, 2011 3:43 pm

@mav: As mentioned in the blog post:

21. JayBird July 20th, 2011 3:51 pm

@mav: read the blog post again, auto updates in a couple of days

22. Patrick July 20th, 2011 4:05 pm

Anyone have a direct download link, it’s not showing up for me, even after resetting Safari

23. padexx July 20th, 2011 4:34 pm

@mav: “The releases can be downloaded directly from the Plex home page (direct download links). After a day or two, we’ll enable auto-updates”

@elan: Download at Desktop->Mac->Download still links to the old version

@ALL: Thanks for supporting and building Plex!

24. RamboZa July 20th, 2011 4:40 pm

YEESSSS !
    Finally file deleting is available !!

Awesome !! Thanks !!

25. Bitwize July 20th, 2011 4:45 pm

This is great! Thanks for your innovation and dedication :)

FYI, I am unable to make metadata changes to a movie’s title or sort title. The change doesn’t take when I click Save. This is with PMS for Windows. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

26. Bruce July 20th, 2011 4:59 pm

Elan – I may be the only person to want this :-) but is there a way to turn the delete *off* from the client? Everyone in my house uses my Plex, and I’d hate for someone to delete something by accident.

I sure will be happy when Plex has logins or roles or whatever it will be called. It’d be great to be able to have each user be given a personalized Plex experience, to be able to limit which users can see which things. The people who like to put adult films on their Plex would be quite happy about that feature, I’m sure! :-) But it would be so great to have the watched/unwatched flags be kept by user too…

Thanks for the great work! Plex is huge.

27. MichaelW July 20th, 2011 5:00 pm

elan-
    PLEXSCRIPTHOST.EXE is being pegged by AVG 2011 and Norton 2011 as infected/unusable. I am assuming you used some packing app that it didn’t like and is not actually infected, but since you said that all the apps are signed and should pass av tests, I thought you should know.

28. Sander July 20th, 2011 5:09 pm

@mav: “After a day or two, we’ll enable auto-updates”

29. Open Mind July 20th, 2011 5:39 pm

That Plex Client for Samsung looks awesome. So cool that you are working with NAS-makers and that people can have their favourite media manager and coolest tv working together. This is The best news in a long time. Have been checking this blog everyday for weeks :)

30. MaenXe July 20th, 2011 6:06 pm

Best. Looking. Dog. Ever.

Oh yeah, and the update looks promising too! Gonna download me some Plex love now, Thanks Elan!

@Coldorak Just use XBMC with the Plex plugin and Confluence.PleXBMC Skin. It’s not the most gorgeous thing in the world, but it sure knocks the pants off my old Boxee setup! Plex FTW!

M@

31. Derek July 20th, 2011 6:57 pm

They said right at the beginning that the auto updates won’t be up for a couple days.

Thanks for all your hard work! I’ve been able to sell the plex way of life to several people so far and love my system more each day. Will love it all even more when apple finally updates the Mac mini line and I can upgrade my few years old mini.

32. sivilcrisis July 20th, 2011 7:05 pm

Yes! Deleting from with in PLEX!

You Guyz Rule Again!

33. Yoav Tigelman July 20th, 2011 7:06 pm

Elan, wish we had the ability in the PMS to select multiple TV shows/Movies to move into a collection instead of doing one at a time.

34. poo July 20th, 2011 7:07 pm

Sounds awesome, but home page still showing 9.2.7 so what am I missing?

35. poo July 20th, 2011 7:08 pm

Ignore, got it…

36. Bramus! July 20th, 2011 9:08 pm

Awesome stuff!

FYI: http://www.plexapp.com/plexnine.shtml still points to 0.9.2.7 as a download (0.9.3.3 can only be donwloaded via the homepage, for now).

37. CyrDog July 20th, 2011 9:24 pm

I don’t know if the issue I’m seeing is the same at the one mentioned above in earlier comments, but when I play content with DTS audio, I then lose all sound effects and get no sound when playing SD content with MP3 audio. I can continue to play DTS or Dolby Digital content and get audio. Thoughts? I don’t know if this was an issue in prior versions, but I’m seeing it in v0.9.3.3.

38. Mark July 20th, 2011 9:35 pm

I can’t find the new version download for Mac either.

39. Mark July 20th, 2011 9:44 pm

Nevermind, I get it now. Hover over the Apple logo on the main page. Don’t go to the Mac page looking for it.

40. viper July 20th, 2011 9:45 pm

Good work guys!!

Love the big subtitle fix and sync fix.
    Have I missed something?
    Is it possible to get these wishes in near future?
    Trailers for your movies
    Plex Client for windows
    Ability to have a wider sync subtitle/audio time, so the opensub text a some point matches the audio.
    Also on the wish list b0bben: atv2 change of language audio/subtitles/sub off.

41. elan July 20th, 2011 10:21 pm

@CyrDog: Nothing at all has changed in the audio code, but OS X 10.6.8 and Lion apparently have known issues.

42. jeff July 20th, 2011 10:30 pm

Does anyone know if DTS-HD MA support is possible in Lion?

43. Jeradin July 21st, 2011 12:30 am

Awesome, so many great fixes and improvements!

Thank you Plex team. So excited to use plex from my Synology!

Still nothing adding for that secondary menu like you did for the iOS app? Even after 10 months of using plex .9 that thing still drives me insane! (99% unwatched menu)

Regardless of that, Plex is amazing and you guys rock!

44. Michelle July 21st, 2011 12:42 am

I have a couple of feature requests that I’d like to see on the iOS app.

1. Right now video playlists do not show up within the iTunes “channel”. I have a playlist of all unwatched video podcasts and have no way of getting to this from within the iOS app.

2. The ability to create playlists in the pled media sections. I would like to be able to go into the TV show section and create a playlist with 2-3 episodes from one or more series and have the app play them back-to-back (instead of me having to wait for the first to finish, then manually search for and play the next).

Any chance of either of these being on the radar for future enhancements?

45. Talisto July 21st, 2011 12:56 am

THANK YOU for the updates to the Music functionality (namely the support for compilations)!! I’ve been waiting for this to be implemented in Plex for a long time.. and now I can finally switch over fully from XBMC :) Woohoo!

46. debian July 21st, 2011 1:22 am

barkely ,so thats the dog,, watch out,i read a post on the forums saying they hated the dog,,, lol!

47. Jess July 21st, 2011 3:11 am

So wil the next step in Lion-compatibility be full-screen mode for the meda manager?

48. lindsay July 21st, 2011 6:47 am

Does this release work with Samsung Galaxy S2?

49. Coldorak July 21st, 2011 7:24 am

@MaenXe thanks for the tip, I’m gonna try that!

50. Jon July 21st, 2011 11:08 am

*Woohoo*
    “Initial support for Photo library sections”

Thank you!

51. CRiMe July 21st, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks for the update, Elan, Barkley & Plex team. :-)

One question:
    Any ideas on how long it takes to fix the custom cover problem (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/28326-custom-local-covers-missing/)?

Or something else we can do (besides putting the pictures in a folder without any spaces in the path name) ?
    Because this would still mean that I have to point the pms to the picture inside the new folder for every single item.

Or else my Plex client would look really bad, since I have a lot of personal media stuff…

52. KaliNow July 21st, 2011 2:55 pm

Plex Media Manager crashes under OS X Lion. Just upgraded to Lion while having 0.9.3.3. plex installed.
    It works except can no longer pull up Plex Media Manager as it is just clocking

53. Ufoeke July 21st, 2011 4:51 pm

Really nice work!
    Where can i find the direct link for linux ? :)

Would be nice to have a option to make “accounts”
    like Bruce July 20th, 2011 4:59 pm said in his post.

54. Nubs July 21st, 2011 6:28 pm

Still no Flash or Silverlight support for Windows PMS. QQ

55. Eivind July 21st, 2011 8:41 pm

Really great work. Downloading for Mac right now.

When will the Linux version be available for download?

56. Henry July 22nd, 2011 4:35 pm

So how should this compilation support work? Cannot find anything that automagically updates the sections or am I missing something?

57. swarls July 22nd, 2011 5:03 pm

Noticed that when you using apple remote to start Plex from sleep, it doesn’t bring Mac OSX out of sleep. After hitting the spacebar to wake up the computer I notice that Plex is in ‘full screen’ but in the background behind the dock and task bar.

58. xain09 July 22nd, 2011 8:45 pm

Great update again! Using Plex now via my AppleTV2.. works nice!

59. Tobias July 23rd, 2011 7:44 pm

still no Linux build? would really like to start using it to get subtitles :-)

60. Kevin July 24th, 2011 1:55 am

Cannot share Aperture library in Lion, pls fix.

61. Octavian July 24th, 2011 4:30 am

It’s still 9.2.7 here http://plexapp.com/mac.php
    Care to fix? Of course you don’t.

62. duke July 24th, 2011 9:15 am

Great job team !

But, sync issue with 1080/24p mkv movies with hardware decoding is still here.

When can we expect a fix ?

63. SCSI July 24th, 2011 2:11 pm

Awesome work guys! Can’t wait for the Linux version for my unRAID server. :)

64. doc July 24th, 2011 3:45 pm

plex media server has a 100% cpu usage under lion while idle :(

65. Smulders July 24th, 2011 6:47 pm

I am having graphical problems on OS X Lion, like this:

Codec information:
    H264 – MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), 1280×534 resolution, DTS audio.

Movie works fine in VLC and Plex on Snow Leopard.

Lion was available as a beta for a long time, you could have tested your software with Lion for months. Please don’t turn into Adobe, you guys are doing amazing so far.

Will this be fixed in 0.9.3.4?

66. the graphical problem July 25th, 2011 3:36 am

the graphical problem your having is due to H.264 hardware decoding if you disable that under prefrences videos it shouldnt do that. dont know why it does that but i was having the same issue.

67. tib July 25th, 2011 3:37 am

im having an issue when i play a file and exit out of it and try to watch it again it doesnt give me the option to resume from where i left off.

68. elan July 25th, 2011 4:27 am

@Smulders: Does the problem go away with Hardware Decoding turned off?

69. Gerard July 25th, 2011 12:14 pm

OMG .. That “Various Artists” thing is fixed .. woohoo!! … will consider/test going from plex8 to plex9 again …

Great work!!

Grtz, a having way to much music plex fan :)

70. Joe July 26th, 2011 10:01 am

Great stuff! My stuttering playback problems seem to have improved significantly, although Plex still doesn’t play HD MKVs as smoothly as VLC. Any chance of Air Play to Apple TV support in the next Mac client update? Can the code available here be adapted and integrated into Plex?: http://ericasadun.com/ftp/AirPlay/

71. ZeD July 26th, 2011 9:19 pm

I am having a serous issue with this version + Lion:

I am unable to manually select a Poster/Fanart for a TV Show and set it.

72. claytron July 26th, 2011 11:32 pm

It wasn’t obvious to me how to download 0.9.3.3, you have to hover over the apple on the home page to get the link.

+1 on updating the Plex for mac page

73. delley July 27th, 2011 7:58 am

any chance the autoupdate of the new version is going to be switched on soon?

74. hayim July 28th, 2011 4:54 am

Thanks for the great work Plex team!

My ogg vorbis audio streaming now works! :D

(However, there is some stutter at the beginning of the file, though not the middle, and it doesnt stutter in VLC.)

Cheers!

75. Private July 29th, 2011 7:46 pm

This release is mostly a collection of fixes. Fix, rinse, repeat.

***
    It is so disappointing that the Plex Team treats Windows as a second-class citizen.
    ***

The number one most requested feature for Plex on Windows is FLASH SUPPORT! Come on. Your server is broken. Fix it. Other media servers out there offer Flash and Silverlight support.

***
    I have decided to boycott Plex until they bring Flash and Silverlight support to Windows.
    ***

Want to join me?

This is a travesty and the Plex Team has shown that they ignore the please from their community. Over 100 plugins don’t work. Period.

76. elan July 29th, 2011 8:47 pm

@Private: I will join you!

In all seriousness, we have engineers working on adding Flash/Silverlight support to the Windows media server. I apologize that this interim release has somehow offended you, but take solace in the fact that most other users appear to have appreciated it.

77. Cam July 30th, 2011 9:55 am

I love you guys :) Thanks again for helping making the media indulgence part of my day the thing I most look forward too.

78. Erik August 3rd, 2011 10:05 am

Of course Windows users are treated as second class citizens. Plex is first and foremost a Mac media centre! Looks like porting it to Windows only gives them bullshit grief from ungrateful shits like you. Good riddance in your “boycott”