The Plex "Penguin-Friendly" Media Server - Plex Blog

The Plex “Penguin-Friendly” Media Server

, , | 14 May 2011 | by 230 Comments

With 227 replies, and almost 400 votes in this thread, it’s obvious that there is a sizable bunch of you who would really like to run the Plex Media Server on Linux. And who can blame you, with sexy Linux-based storage devices on the market like the ReadyNAS pictured below? A device like this (or an unRAID for the DIY-ers, and damn it, why did I have to go read about unRAID and end up falling in love with this case?) running the Plex Media Server, combined with a rich assortment of clients (a Mac Mini, an iPad, an iPhone, an Android tablet, an LG Smart TV for the guest room, and a Roku Streaming Player for the kids’ room?), makes for an amazingly flexible, unified, and powerful media solution. Not to mention, the NAS is the only device that has to be left on, so Al Gore would yet again be proud.

NewImage

The Plex Media Server is written in highly portable C++ code, and we’ve had versions of it running on Linux quite a while now. However, there are many flavors of Linux, and it runs on many different architectures, so we wanted to make sure we had an easy build and packaging system, which I’m proud to announce, we now do.  Open up a Linux terminal, type a single command, and from scratch, source is downloaded, git repositories are cloned, compilers grind away, and a few dozens of minutes later, you have a package ready for uploading, while you idly pick Chinese food out of your beard.

We’re targeting three Linux flavors with this initial version: Ubuntu 10.01, Slackware 13.1 (unRAID), and ReadyNAS (Intel CPUs). Because of the way we’ve built with minimal external dependencies, it’s quite likely that these will run on a wider range of systems (say, Ubuntu 11.x). The only known external dependency it has is Avahi, which is required to provide Bonjour-based discovery. Unless you install and run Avahi, the server will not show up automatically in all Plex clients.

The Linux version of the Plex Media Server can run on any speed CPU, but of course if you’re planning to transcode, you’ll want at least a dual-core 2.4GHz CPU or so. It can run fine on systems without much memory too, a quiescent Plex Media Server only has about 16MB resident.

Note that we’re still trying to determine the best way to package the releases; more dependency on “system” libraries, less shared libraries, etc. We’d love to hear your thoughts, and our build and packaging system is sufficiently flexible to accommodate a range of options. In the meantime, however, take this preview release for a spin!

Because of the first take on the packaging, and also because this is the very first release for Linux, we’re putting it on the new Plex Labs page. This page is going to be the home base for some of our more experimental projects, things we want to get into your hands to play with before they’re completely finished. The Linux Plex Media Server is the first project from our labs, but rest assured lots of other crazy/cool stuff will pop up in there before long.

Many of you already know Barkley, the official Plex mascot/media hound. He just celebrated his sixth birthday and he’s been a wonderful friend and companion ever since we got him as a tiny little puppy.

Elan Feingold

1. Guillaume Campagna May 14th, 2011 3:52 am

You guys are on fire!

2. Sergio May 14th, 2011 3:53 am

Im waiting for a linux PMS for EONS! Tnkx!

3. Raygan May 14th, 2011 3:55 am

This is awesome. I think once this version gets fleshed out, the next logical step would be some kind of a live-cd or pre-configured distro to turn an old PC into a Plex NAS. You guys are the hardest working devs I know!

4. xJay May 14th, 2011 4:08 am

Making a package for Synology NASes would be a good idea!

5. Nick May 14th, 2011 4:40 am

Can’t wait to run this on my unraid server. Keep up the awesome work plex devs

6. Jason May 14th, 2011 4:41 am

Happy Birthday Barkley! What an awesome birthday gift :)

7. BraveSirRobin May 14th, 2011 5:42 am

Nice! Have to say this was one of the missing pieces of the puzzle — having the media server co-located with the client has caused me a few performance issues recently.

Oh, Elan, you might want to check out the RPC-4224 as well :D I’m planning a FreeBSD/ZFS build on this soon to replace an ageing Dell server.

8. dirRtyjoe May 14th, 2011 5:46 am

Trying to start it up on my unRAID and receiving:

./Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libssp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

9. ziggimon May 14th, 2011 6:19 am

Nice work guys.. I’ll be waiting for the RHEL/Centos/SLES RPM for me to have some Linux lovin. But keep up the awesome work.

10. Jowl May 14th, 2011 6:21 am

Well done guys!

Gonna figure how to get it on my synology if I can…..before I build dedicated plex box

11. Alan Morgan May 14th, 2011 6:27 am

What’s the best spot to discuss this on the forums? I’m able to manage the PMS and see the channels on the Roku, but I’m not able to see the sections that I’ve created on the Roku.

Not sure if this is a problem with the PMS or the Roku channel…

12. Gareth May 14th, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks this is where my 9 T linux server was waiting for and of course i was waiting on it to.

13. ka May 14th, 2011 6:33 am

I’m getting this error when trying to run start.sh on unraid 4.7

./Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot
    open shared object file: No such file or directory

14. AppleRedX May 14th, 2011 6:51 am

WOW! Thats a news …

Many Thx for this first step into Linux and more important into the NAS World.

Hope that Synology DSM support ist on the Roadmap …

15. remi May 14th, 2011 6:51 am

Thanks for this! I am running it on Debian 6 x64. I had to install the i386 versions of libcurl4 and libstdc++6 and create some symbolic links to them in the pms folder but after that it seems to be running great.

16. Lars Erhardsen May 14th, 2011 7:12 am

Awesome! Any idea on when a version suitable for QNAP NASes will be ready? :-)

17. Toni Viemerö May 14th, 2011 7:30 am

Working out of the box on Arch Linux (x86_64) after installing ‘lib32-libstdc++5′ from multilib repository.

Great job guys!

18. Januz May 14th, 2011 7:34 am

Great!!! Thank you very much and my best wishes to Barkley…

19. gpiccon May 14th, 2011 7:36 am

Hey Elan, awesome work! Keep it up! One question.. maybe you would be interested on having the plugin in a QNAP system I’ve lots of ReadyNAS and QNAP’s systems on my house and for sure I can confirm that QNAP is much better. Search some information and you’ld love it. Of course I’am available to do any kind of test if needed.

20. mitah May 14th, 2011 7:49 am

I second a Synology SPK – this would be much appreciated

21. Elektro May 14th, 2011 8:20 am

Great news guys! Will this mean a Plex Media Centre version for Linux is the next thing? That would be awesome!

22. iXô May 14th, 2011 8:22 am

Hello,

this is a really great news, I would like to see the Synology version too :D.

But I have a question : how do we use the media manager on a nas ? without a screen ? does the linux plex for nas come with a remote media manager ?

Thanks for all !

23. WombatPredator May 14th, 2011 8:26 am

Another vote for QNAP. It’s awesome and would be awesomest with Plex server.

If you can bundle Plex as an ipkg, we should be set. Avahi is already available on the box.

24. elan May 14th, 2011 8:26 am

We’ve opened up some forums for you to discuss the Linux version, so please head over there to discuss issues and share tips :)

25. elan May 14th, 2011 8:27 am

@iXô: The Plex Media Server has been shipping with a web-based remote management interface for quite a while. Give it a try, it’s pretty awesome.

26. Dale May 14th, 2011 8:56 am

I am also looking forward to trying this out my Synology.

27. Snapnaq May 14th, 2011 9:03 am

QNAP, please :)

28. Thorsten May 14th, 2011 9:19 am

I am also voting for a version for Synology’s DiskStations. These are awesome and Plex would be a more than ideal addition. I am using a DS as a central providing media to Macs, PCs as well as to iOS and Android devices. Please provide Plex for Synology!

I love your work, folks!

29. Sascha May 14th, 2011 9:34 am

I love how you are saying that we idly pick chinese food out of our beard. That is so Linux!

30. Moogle May 14th, 2011 9:41 am

We want for QNAP! !!!!

31. serak May 14th, 2011 10:12 am

At last! Thanks for all the hard work!

32. Neikt May 14th, 2011 10:15 am

+1 for Synology !!!

33. Simon May 14th, 2011 10:26 am

+1 for QNAP – it has QPKG to make installation a breeze

34. Flemming May 14th, 2011 11:00 am

1+ for QNAP, please ;-)

35. fhb May 14th, 2011 11:59 am

I guess most QNAP’s and Synology Diskstations do not have the CPU to transcode, I suggest adding a feature which allows to disable transcoding on weak plex media servers and let’s a different available and sufficiently potent plex media server do the work. This transcoding server would not have content itself, but would get the files from the “main” server/NAS.

This would allow us to let the main server run on a low power NAS/linux computer and activate the needed horsepower via wol (In my case I have a script on the NAS, which is saved as a bookmark on my iPhone and sends a WOL package to my macmini.)

36. Alex May 14th, 2011 12:16 pm

Please add support for Synology

37. tenthumbs May 14th, 2011 12:45 pm

Awesome news — means I won’t have to run a windows VM 24/7 just to have PMS on my home-server ! I’m gonna give it a spin asap!

At the pace you’re going now, maybe we can expect an OpenIndiana/Solaris/Nexenta port in a few weeks? :)

That Norco-case is a nice starter kit, but not exactly drool-worthy.

If you got room for another 3u (and £3k to burn) this Chenbro case (http://www.xcase.co.uk/Chenbro-9u-RM91250H01-p/case-chenbro-rm91250h01.htm) could possibly do until a version for 2.5″ drives hit the market (well, Supermicro make some extremely sexy 4u cases with backplanes for 2.5″ drives , but, that site isn’t safe either if you are easily distracted by shiny hot hardware). … And I just spent hours trying to find an European retailer stocking those nifty 2.5″ x8 for 2x 5.25″ bays, then ordered without checking if the sas-expander will play nice in my serverconfig, lol.

Off to test the Linux PMS under parallels and then on ESXI.

Thanks for all the great work on both client and server!
    The list of “can’t/won’t do witout”-list of apps that keep me locked to the mac is diminishing at a steady rate now, and i can _almost_ taste the freedom :)

BTW: Absolutely love the android-app. Only using as remote, but navigating my Library without the need to have the TV burning energy – The energy savings probably paid for the app already :)

38. Nikko May 14th, 2011 1:20 pm

+ for synology

39. Fabfaab May 14th, 2011 1:29 pm

+2 for Synology (got two of them). I was hoping this would happen. The combination with ATV2 would make it the ultimate solution!

40. rvb3n May 14th, 2011 1:34 pm

Yes, Qnap please!

41. Aargh-a-Knot May 14th, 2011 1:35 pm

What are the recommended CPU specs for Direct Streaming? Will this perform well on something like a Synology DiskStation?

42. Arnout van der Vorst May 14th, 2011 1:40 pm

+1 for Synology, perfect combination!

43. Sam May 14th, 2011 3:02 pm

I’m sure you’re going to get an annoying amount of requests but I have to ask anyway … the future of FreeNAS looks fantastic so I have to ask for FreeNAS/FreeBSD support please :)

+1 for FreeNAS!

44. Lazur May 14th, 2011 3:24 pm

Another +1 for QNAP

45. John May 14th, 2011 4:14 pm

+1 for Synology package!

46. Graeme May 14th, 2011 4:39 pm

Erm, 10.01 isn’t a valid Ubuntu release number. Ubuntu release numbers are year.month of release, and releases are always in April and October, so I’m going to assume you meant 10.04, but it might be wise to correct this.

47. Peter May 14th, 2011 4:53 pm

Added story to hacker news. Please up vote.

48. dave May 14th, 2011 6:17 pm

another vote for a Qnap version.

thanks

49. Thomas May 14th, 2011 6:32 pm

This is awesome. I’m downloading as we speak. Thank you!!

50. Joakim May 14th, 2011 6:37 pm

Oh, QNAP please :)

51. Paulo Andrade May 14th, 2011 6:53 pm

+1 for Synology, please

52. stigger May 14th, 2011 7:30 pm

centos/rhel, please.

53. leonsio May 14th, 2011 7:31 pm

native 64 bit version (ubuntu) were great, every new cpu supports 64 bit, the most new linux installations are 64bit too . but the i386 release is better then nothing *g*

54. Rubik2k May 14th, 2011 8:42 pm

+1 for the QNAP version!

55. Philverlake May 14th, 2011 10:09 pm

+1 for Synology. DS1511+!

56. Matthew Wood May 14th, 2011 10:25 pm

Synology? Yes, please!!!! Sounds excellent!

57. Fredd-E May 14th, 2011 11:29 pm

+1 for QNAP!

58. DendeNYC May 15th, 2011 4:24 am

Oh, I’ll be keeping an eye on this, my ReadyNAS NVX will be happy

59. Callum May 15th, 2011 6:02 am

@Elan – ok this is really cool. Now how long before plex includes PVR support for HDHomeRun? Please tell me it’s in the works. Please, please, please!

60. Scott May 15th, 2011 6:48 am

Add my voice to the list for Synology…

61. Jeffo May 15th, 2011 7:30 am

Any chance of this getting ported to the ReadyNAS Duo Sparc platform?

62. bashprompt May 15th, 2011 8:11 am

+1 for QNAP!

63. JayTee May 15th, 2011 8:47 am

+1 for QNAP! please!!

64. elan May 15th, 2011 8:53 am

To all you crazy (in the best possible sense of the word) QNAP-erz, can you specify the flavor of NAS you have? Have of them have Intel processors, which means that the existing release might actually run already on your devices already, and the other half appear to have ARM-based Marvell processors.

65. Paul Rumens May 15th, 2011 8:58 am

Sniff, my Synology is a PPC…

Anyway, it would be great if the NAS did most of the sharing, but if it needed help it could use other macs on the network.

Example, we all have macs, it would be great if my iPad connect to my iMac, which in turn connects to the NAS, grabs the file, and then the iMac does the transcoding. Save leaving a beast of a machine running all the time!

66. dmX May 15th, 2011 10:26 am

Synology DS-1010:
    model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU K510 @ 1.66GHz

keeping it sensible, the first version on Intel only, would be understandable

thanks,

dmX

67. Fredd-E May 15th, 2011 10:49 am

I’ve got the TS219-P : http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=122

CPU Marvell 1.2GHz
    DRAM 512MB DDRII RAM

68. Jens May 15th, 2011 11:17 am

Hi Elan,
    thx for the great work!

And yes, a lot of QNAP NAS devices are based on Intel CPUs and it could be that this version will run already on such a device.
    I’ve a QNAP TS-459 Pro with has an Intel Atom 1.6 GHz.
    Newer versions have Intel Dual Core CPUs now.
    Cheers,
    Jens

69. Jens May 15th, 2011 12:24 pm

EDIT: I’m just checked and my QNAP has a Dual Core Intel CPU already.
    I think it would be a very good media solution to have the PMS running on such a powerful device.
    Jens

70. Kitwalker May 15th, 2011 12:37 pm

Please for freenas, please, please, please

That would rock like a rocking thing…….

+1 for Freenas

71. RogerIrrelevant May 15th, 2011 1:41 pm

QNAP TS-210. That uses a Marvell 6281 800MHz processor, and has a grand(!) total for 256Mb RAM :)

72. sl1000 May 15th, 2011 2:25 pm

Correct, both intel and arm based cpu’s.
    I already tried to get the released x86 package working on the qnap, but running into glibc 2.7 dependencies.

i normally repackage app’s to get them working on qnap systems, so if you need additional info, you can contact me :)

73. sl1000 May 15th, 2011 2:26 pm

also take into account that qnap runs both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of their linux os.

74. Raymond (Singapore) May 15th, 2011 3:06 pm

+1 for Synology NAS please!

75. AndyT May 15th, 2011 3:28 pm

Mine is the Intel based QNAP TS-439

76. ajgoyt May 15th, 2011 4:22 pm

Unraid PLEASE :)

77. Gautam Desai May 15th, 2011 6:54 pm

Elan,

Check out the Norco 4224 case. I built a monster 40TB system that is blazingly fast with minimum power consumption.

Thanks for the work on the lLinux ports!

G

78. jedi May 15th, 2011 9:10 pm

bugger, it won’t run on my ubuntu 9.10 x86_64 fileserver :-(

where’s the git repo you mentioned – so we can compile it ourselves, that will probably save you the hassle of packaging for every distro on the planet!

one little gripe – can we get rid of the spaces/capitals in filenames please, “Plex Media Server” is so non-unix and is going to cause all sorts of problems in init scripts etc.

79. Joel May 15th, 2011 9:57 pm

Congrats on the Linux versions. Very impressive for a Labs release.

80. jedi May 15th, 2011 10:10 pm

just trying to spec up a vm to host this, so a couple of questions:

1. when you say “Ubuntu 10.01″ do you mean 10.10 or 10.04 as there is no 10.01?

2. does this have an x11/qt gui like the mac version, or is it headless and uses the web interface only?

81. Laop May 15th, 2011 11:09 pm

+1 for QNAP TS219P+ (Marvell CPU)
    PMS on the QNAP would be awesome

Laop

82. GiJOr33 May 16th, 2011 3:58 am

+1 for QNAP TS119 ARM/Marvell 1.2ghz processor with 512mb RAM.

I also really like the idea of having a transcoding client on a powerful PC so if you are going to watch a movie that needs to be transcoded to your iPad or need to convert the 5.1AAC audio into 5.1AC3/DTS for your AV Receiver to give full surround sound, then the PC/MAC client can bare the transcoding load and pass back to the QNAP Plex Server to send onto the client (ATV2, Roku etc). Or something similar to that.

83. WombatPredator May 16th, 2011 4:54 am

Elan,

I have a Qnap 439 Pro II (http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=148) with a single core 1.6 Ghz Atom processor.

I tried running PMS on it but I also had some dependencies errors.

Do I dare to dream?

84. Simon May 16th, 2011 6:38 am

T459 Pro – Dual core Intel Atom

The QNAP is pretty cut down and it’s a little fun to work with. One of my devs has recently written some VMWare management software (instead of buying VSphere) to run off a pair of QNAPs so have some experience getting stuff onto the QNAP – just ask (stockds in the forums)

85. JayTee May 16th, 2011 7:09 am

My Qnap is Intel based dual core 1.6 … and I assume PMS will only be available on Intel Qnaps… [based on the issues with arm devices (libraries not always available) and the cpu-power necessary for the basic PMS functionality]. If transcoding could be set to a certain level (say only 480p or 720p etc) it might even offer basic transcoding options on most Qnaps (or other similar devices). Looking forward to a Qnap (Intel) package. Thanks for all the great work so far!

86. Telecast May 16th, 2011 8:30 am

+1 Synology SPK – this would be much appreciated
    I have ds-1010+ (20 TB)

87. Yves May 16th, 2011 10:56 am

+1 for Synology. DS1511+!

THANKS

88. Open Mind May 16th, 2011 12:12 pm

Great job. Very cool. This really opens up for a lot of possibilities. Especially if you make Plex clients for more TV’s (samsung, sony).

Imagine also making a Linux/PS3 version of the client. Linux on the PS3 has better performance now than in the old days, so all you would need in your living room would be a PS3. You wouldn’t need a Roku, AppleTV or a Mac mini. And all you need in the other rooms are Roku’s… because a linux NAS is running the PMS.

More about linux for PS3: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/06/otheros-brings-linux-back-to-the-ps3-taunts-sony/

89. Lanstroem May 16th, 2011 2:03 pm

Great!

Hoping for a 64-bit binary in the future.

90. Jakob Breivik Grimstveit May 16th, 2011 2:04 pm

Is it possible to get access to source as well, in order to build for – in my case – FreeBSD?

91. Omkar May 16th, 2011 2:29 pm

Thank you Elan and the rest of the Plex crew!!! I’m looking forward to trying this out on my unRAID box.

92. atomjack May 16th, 2011 6:19 pm

@jedi Maybe consider upgrading to 10.04 or 11.04? You can do that without reinstalling, just google it. I’m currently running PMS on my ubuntu 11.04 x86_64 server and it works fine.

93. Scott May 16th, 2011 6:36 pm

+1 for FreeNas

94. Scott May 17th, 2011 12:12 am

I was just given a server board with two xeon 2.8, 3 gigs of ram, a couple pci-x 3ware raid chips and more harddrives than i can handle. Would this be a good PMS machine or should I just plan on a NAS?

95. Wiggie May 17th, 2011 5:51 am

Great progress, have been using plex for many years now and still it blows away people once I show them. Thank you for all of these years :-)

Question: what does it need to have this working on Synology?
    I’m sure they would be interested to have a go at it if enough users push for development

96. Stefan May 17th, 2011 6:34 am

Hi guys.
    Thank you for all the hard work. I’m using Plex Server a long time on MAC and have clients placed all over my home.
    But it would me awesome if you get this amazing peace of work on NAS devices.
    So please, dont’ leave the DROBO behind :-)

+ 1 for DROBO

97. deloco May 17th, 2011 6:51 am

Yeah! Awesome! It works perfectly on my Standalone XBMC-Linux-PC. Actually it’s quite funny, but that was the feature my XBMC-PC was missing… Now it serves all Media to my Mac and iOS Devices too, that’s just great!

Now it just needs to start automatically at bootup and run in the background as service…

…and then I need a MacMini as Mediaplayer…

98. Svein Jarle May 17th, 2011 9:33 am

FreeNAS, FreeNAS, FreeNAS, FreeNAS!!! I strongly considered setting up my NAS with Ubuntu now, but am hoping that FreeNAS/FreeBSD support is not that far away.

99. Wiggie May 17th, 2011 9:46 am

I just checked, the synology 1511+ I own, has a Intel Atom 1.8 Dual Core processor.
    Will the current Linux build run on this?

100. Pipen May 17th, 2011 1:19 pm

Has anyone tried it on a ReadyNAS and can speak about the performance on HD material?

101. Herbert West May 17th, 2011 2:40 pm

Never heard of Ubuntu 10.01. Maybe you mean 10.10 or 10.04?

102. Kyle May 17th, 2011 4:50 pm

You guys are awesome! I’ll add my vote for a Synology build. Running the DS1511+.

103. Amos May 19th, 2011 2:08 am

Gentoo please. Actually it looks like the current compiles aren’t far from gentoo compatibility — its just they were built with things (libssb, etc.) that most distros don’t use.

104. pieter May 19th, 2011 8:05 am

+1 for QNAP (TS-412, Marvell 6281 1.2GHz)

105. ananke May 19th, 2011 10:11 am

With regards to the git repo, where are the details about it posted?

106. E71 May 19th, 2011 12:06 pm

Good work.

I hope one day us RHEL/CentOS server owners get to join in the fun.

107. Flemming May 19th, 2011 12:20 pm

+1 for QNAP Marvell 6282 1.6GHz

108. Justin May 19th, 2011 3:39 pm

I just have to join the chorus on the Synology support.

109. Romy May 19th, 2011 5:50 pm

+1 for QNAP :)

110. Paul May 20th, 2011 2:21 am

Another vote for FreeBSD, amd64 architecture.

111. Thorsten May 20th, 2011 10:53 am

@ Wiggie

Synology have an official wishlist blog:

Time to raise our voices!!!

112. Terc May 20th, 2011 11:39 am

FreeNAS support!
    If we can get this pre-compiled, I’ll start work on getting it added.

113. elan May 20th, 2011 8:17 pm

If the Synology and QNAP people can give us some pointers about VMs/toolchains for the *Intel* variants of their platforms, that would be awesome :)

114. Brian Thompson May 21st, 2011 1:28 am

Awesome news! Another vote for Synology Support DS1010+ here.

115. Matt May 21st, 2011 10:34 am

I’m really thrilled to be firing up PMS on Linux.. Thanks for all the hard work!

116. Thorsten May 21st, 2011 11:10 am

@elan

Maybe this is a good starting point w.r.t. Synology:

117. gsson May 21st, 2011 11:18 am
  118. Bradill May 21st, 2011 11:55 am

Hell Yeah,, going to get this cracking on my ESXi server,, Linux is the king of operation systems. Ill whip up an Ubuntu server for the job. (Its been a while, as CentOS/RHEL is what i use at work)… I wish i bought the Intel ReadyNAS, but this approach has its benefits.

119. andsens May 21st, 2011 3:17 pm

Yeah, FreeNAS is the obvious choice for a DYI fileserver. Running the Media Server on that would be so neat!

120. switchbladeHD May 22nd, 2011 4:05 pm

This is great! I want the Unraid version!

When will it be ready?

121. Allards May 22nd, 2011 5:43 pm

I own a the Qnap TS219-P, i’d like to see a Plex server to run on this device. I’d even consider upgrading to a more powerful NAS if beneficial.

122. elan May 23rd, 2011 1:27 am

@switchbladeHD: Download the Slackware version, and take it for a spin :-)

123. Alex May 23rd, 2011 2:33 pm

This is awesome! Plex is an amazing system, but it did need a truly constant running server option to take it to that next level. Thanks you all. You make all my dreams come true.

One request. I have never had a real server before and am wondering how the media manager would work on a server. Can you plug a server into a monitor? or run apps from other connected computers? I know these are real newbie questions, but I’m guessing I’m not the only one wondering.

Could you guys set up a youtube demo, or some screen shots to show how the media manager would work?

124. Louise May 23rd, 2011 5:26 pm

This is great, but I think Barkley’s birthday might be even more awesome. Those eyes MELT me!

125. elan May 23rd, 2011 7:11 pm

@Alex: There is a remotely accessible web-based media manager, available via http://x.x.x.x:32400/manage

It works on current versions of PMS, as well as the Linux port.

126. Paul May 23rd, 2011 10:43 pm

Oh my god you did it !

It rocks
    And fuck i go on the plex lab page. And dammit 1,6GHz
    Are you sure ?
    Because i would like to test it on my plug computer (sheevaplug) and it’s an ARM processor at 1,2GHz.
    And dammit again i’m on Debian, but i will try.

Thanks you do an awesome work ! Simply awesome !

127. bert May 24th, 2011 4:20 am

downloaded and installed this app on my ReadyNAS Pro, a few hours later and I was streaming to my Mac Mini and MBP elsewhere wirelessly.

Thanks for the awesome application.

128. elan May 24th, 2011 5:23 am

@Paul: You can run it on a much smaller CPU, but you will be unable to transcode for mobile devices. If you’re only looking to serve desktop clients, then it would still make sense.

129. Thorsten May 24th, 2011 7:22 am

I was “stupid” ;-) enough to contact Synology and ask them if they generally assist 3rd parties with porting their software to DSM.
    Here is the not too negative response:

>>>
    Hello Thorsten,

Thank you for your inquiry.  While we wholly welcome 3rd party apps and developers to port their software to our Synology machines, it is totally up to the Plex developers to do so.
    However, we have provided the tools necessary for them to port their software into a package and should they need further assistance, they may contact us:

You may wish to contact Plex directly since, according to your link, they are already making a port to ReadyNAS.  I don’t see why they can’t make a port for our DS as well.

Regards,
    Tech Support

130. Pieter May 25th, 2011 12:13 am

+1 for Synology!
    newest versions (DS411+ii) have dual core, so transcoding will be possible.

131. elan May 25th, 2011 8:10 am

Can you Synology-heads give this release a try?

It’s built with their toolchain, but I don’t have a unit to test it out on.

Thanks :-)

132. Wiggie May 25th, 2011 3:50 pm

@ Elan,
    Of you promise you will push the development forward I supose all Synology-heads would be more than willing to lobby for a Synology unit for you guys :-D

133. nsw May 25th, 2011 5:17 pm

Doesn’t work on a DS410, but considering that’s a PPC-based NAS, probably wishful thinking on my part :|

134. elan May 26th, 2011 3:49 am

QNAPpy-headed dudes, get your QNAP build for Intel here ~ http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=33963&start=30#p200489

135. ckarv May 26th, 2011 8:08 am

Would it be possible to make a release for D-Links DNS-32x using fun_plug? (Especially the newer DNS-320 and DNS-325)

No transcoding obviously, but what are the requirements (hw wise) for just running the server and streaming?

136. Bart May 26th, 2011 10:29 am

+1 for support of the ReadyNAS NV Sparc platform

137. mav3r1ck May 26th, 2011 2:02 pm
  138. Jesus Velez May 26th, 2011 5:17 pm

I must say, having seen Plex grow from its first release till now, you guys have done an outstanding job. Even with the odd bug (that gets ironed out very quickly) I think Plex is the leader in media collection management. Thank you Elan and crew for providing such an awesome product.

139. shenzhou May 26th, 2011 8:31 pm

Another +1 for the QNap!

I have the Intel Atom Dual Core 1.8 GHz TS-49 Pro II.

Awaiting Plex to run on my Nas!

Thanks for the good work!

140. Gerrit May 27th, 2011 1:30 pm

RHEL/CentOS/Fedora please!!!

141. Wiggie May 27th, 2011 8:56 pm

@ Elan, I took the liberty to get in contact with the Product Manager of Synology Inc and suggested that it might be in their interest to get some collaboration between the two of you.
    He just replied by mail, that Synology has an interest in Plex and the engineering department is now looking into this (I have pointed them to your first compilation for Synology and your website) and apearantly the engineering department is having a go at it.
    I think I can get you in contact with them soon ;-) perhaps another great oppertunity for you guys to get on a hardware platform? Just give me a contact email address on my email, so I can get you guys set up!
    Regards
    Ray (Huge day 1 fan from the (Netherlands)

142. Wiggie May 27th, 2011 8:57 pm

Sorry, typo in my previous email address (hard on a iPhone)

143. elan May 27th, 2011 8:58 pm

@Wiggie: Thanks so much! Feel free to forward my email (elan at plexapp dot dom) or Cc: me.

144. helios May 29th, 2011 10:27 am

+1 For FreeNas!!!

145. Dick May 29th, 2011 10:58 am

Very good indeed! I was in the process of setting up snow leopard in a vmware virtual machine under a linux host just so I could run PMS on my linux server!

I can stop doing that if this works!!

Only problem is, I run Gentoo Linux. I will try the distributions available but would very much like to see a Gentoo ebuild file for this.

What is the chance of this anytime soon? I wouldn’t expect it to be too hard to do, since the build code is already working for Ubuntu, Slackware etc…

Thanks so much for this as I really hated the approach I was taking!!!

146. Dick May 29th, 2011 3:00 pm

I got it working under Gentoo using the Ubuntu version!

I am now trying to figure out how to add the RottenTomatoes metadata plugin and change the Info Provider order.

Where should I inquire about how to do this?

147. Alex May 29th, 2011 4:59 pm

@elan: Thanks for the advice on http://x.x.x.x:32400/manage remote manager. That is the coolest thing. Had no idea I could do that.

148. Amos May 30th, 2011 2:11 am

Another vote here for a solaris package. I’m done with storage that isn’t ZFS so next home server will be solaris box. That said, I may still just run Ubuntu in Virtualbox for benefits of both.

149. Mike May 30th, 2011 7:13 pm

This is the only software so far i would get
    even if i had to pay for it! (Reasonable amount not 100′s of dollars)

Ofcourse keeping it FREE and WITHOUT ADS makes my life much easier!
    Thank you very much for offering this for free, and your time to make it avaliable on so many platforms!
    You also made me organize my collection of media, which is a good thing! :D

150. nick May 30th, 2011 9:55 pm

oh happy day! thank you! hopefully you guys will keep working on this. i’m on Ubuntu 11.04, works great! having the web interface is awesome so i can manage my library from my ipad.

Would be great to see a repository. I vote for further Ubuntu support.

151. sam May 31st, 2011 5:18 pm

+1 vote for a readynas NV+ sparc port! it’d be the only thing i leave on!

152. rick May 31st, 2011 8:00 pm

got it working on ubuntu don’t forget to chmod as i tend to do…. only acachi and it’s dependencies was a bit of an hassle. other than that awesome

153. Chaz June 3rd, 2011 7:52 am

+1 for FreeBSD/FreeNAS

I’m also not clear, is this a source release or binary? It may run under the linuxolator on FreeBSD…

154. stephan June 7th, 2011 12:55 pm

i’d love to see this pretty awesome plex mediaserver on my freenas! :)

+1 for FreeNAS!

155. elan June 7th, 2011 8:25 pm

I actually tried to create a FreeBSD VMware Fusion VM at one point and failed miserably.

156. Bismark June 8th, 2011 3:46 pm

@elan

I’m running multiple FreeBSD VM instances in ESXi and have FreeNAS installed in ESXi and VM Fusion, if you have questions feel free to contact me because I’d love a port of PMS for FreeNAS.

157. N2rage June 8th, 2011 10:39 pm

+1 for synology.
    This is what i dreamed of ever since getting nas device.
    Hope 1.8gz dual atom would be enough for trnascoding 450-480p. I can encode any highers.

158. Wiggie June 9th, 2011 5:15 pm

Can’t wait to see a ready to use .pkg for my Synology 1511+ !!!
    Love plex ever since I moved over from my old xbox to mac just for having plex and HD video. Steve Jobs should be thankful, having Plex introduced me with Mac and 3 years later my entire house is MacAnized :-)

@ Elan: Any word from Synology Dev yet?

159. elan June 9th, 2011 9:27 pm

@Wiggie: Still waiting to hear back.

160. Gonzee June 10th, 2011 3:19 am

Another vote for a Synology package. I have a ds 1010+ and I would love to have Plex running on it, rather than the mac mini.

161. Tom June 10th, 2011 12:15 pm

This is just fantastic – I can finally (occasionally) turn off the Macmini plugged into the TV and stream from my always-on Ubuntu VM. Thanks so much for your hard work. Where do I donate? :-)

162. Tom June 10th, 2011 12:17 pm

Just seen the donate button – have a few beers on me! Cheers.

163. micklo94 June 14th, 2011 9:38 am

+1 for Synology !!!

164. Martin June 14th, 2011 7:23 pm

+1 for FreeNas 0.7.2 and/or the very new 0.8 would be like a dream !!!!

165. Roflerne June 20th, 2011 10:18 pm

Hoping the Synology release is going to happen, will be the last piece of puzzle.

166. hoberion June 23rd, 2011 7:03 am

synology pretty please!

167. Deanjo June 24th, 2011 1:14 pm

Why don’t you guys just setup an open build service so that you can make packages for more then one flavor of distro? Building packages for just one or two distros OS what projects did in 2002, not 2011. You then satisfy dependencies without requiring user to hack their systems all to crap just because you guys build for a very limited few.

168. ycan June 27th, 2011 8:32 am

any Synology news yet?

i have a DS1511+.

Thanks

169. Nudgenudge July 6th, 2011 7:06 am

For the Synology Intel NASes: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26663-dont-forget-synology/page__view__findpost__p__177727

Still a few kinks to iron out, but most of it is working.

170. ngenty July 9th, 2011 12:50 pm

+1 for synology Atom
    any news ?

171. Impudicite July 12th, 2011 2:34 am

+1 QNAP – please my good lord !

172. Rick July 15th, 2011 4:03 pm

+1 for a synology Atom port DS211j, that would Roooooooccck!

173. JohnDoe July 16th, 2011 11:42 pm

Hoping for an OpenSolaris port :)

174. Daniel Liljeberg July 18th, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi

If it will work with Fedora 14 you could try to make it into a Amahi App. That would get you a large following on Linux over night. A lot of Windows Home Server users have switched to Amahi and I guarantee that I would replace all my Boxee client installations and install Plex Media Server on my headless server and replace all the clients with Plex. Since I have a 60″ LG TV with Plex integration that would be quite welcome to be able to use that to.

But even if it won’t become a one-click-install Amahi App, try to make it possible to administrate it using a web interface, since we are quite a few out here with headless servers.

175. elan July 18th, 2011 9:45 pm

@Daniel: It’s already able to be administered via web (http://x.x.x.x:32400/manage)

176. Daniel Liljeberg July 18th, 2011 9:56 pm

Yea, saw that a few seconds after my post :)…
    Which of the existing Linux packages would be best suited to try to get installed on Fedora? The Ubuntu or the Slackware one?

177. Daniel Liljeberg July 18th, 2011 9:58 pm

Ohhh… and also… If one installs this early Linux build. Will it support some kind of update feature or would new versions require a bit of work to get going?

178. Peter July 20th, 2011 5:51 am

A simple +1 for the QNAP. :)

Regards

179. Ed S July 28th, 2011 2:20 am

+1 for QNAP

180. Adam Pullen July 29th, 2011 8:58 pm

Just want to put my vote in for the
    Plex Media Server for Linux – Synology Intel-based NAS devices
    Ran out and bought one today based on this article
    (http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/05/14/the-plex-penguin-friendly-media-server/)
    Saw that it will be comming soon on http://www.plexapp.com/linux/linux-pms-download.php.

Really looking forward to it

181. Eco July 30th, 2011 9:15 am

How about WD My Book World Edition II (Optwaer package maybe?).

182. Fetus August 2nd, 2011 2:19 am

I’m with Eco, WD My Book World Edition II package would be sweet!!!!!

183. Stefan August 7th, 2011 11:52 am

+1 for Synology please

184. Daniel Liljeberg August 12th, 2011 10:52 am

I have it working on Fedora 14 and will see if I can get a package ready.

185. Sumit August 13th, 2011 9:34 am

+1 for Synology package PLEASE :)

186. elan August 13th, 2011 9:41 am

@Sumit: Check the Linux downloads page.

187. plex-virgin August 14th, 2011 10:57 am

+1 for a QNAP Arm version!!!

188. niewiesznic August 30th, 2011 6:39 pm

+1 for ARM based Synology

Especially DS210j or DS211+.

189. Gary September 3rd, 2011 9:00 am

no plex for readyNAS Duo ?

190. Marland Pittman September 6th, 2011 7:59 pm

Went ahead and bought the Client for Android, and ran the Media Server on my PC.

This needs to go on my Media Center box, which actually runs XBMC on Fedora. Then I can stream movies to my Android Tablet. Did a little uPnP server (Mediatomb/UPnPlay/MoboPlayer) streaming to my Xoom, but without Transcoding, the 1080p stuff is not good.

Seriously considering re-doing my XBMC Media Center box to Slackware, since nobody is lobbing out RPMs or Repos for it. Maybe the Amahi peeps will get it out of alpha soon.

191. Ove September 14th, 2011 8:14 pm

A release for ReadyNAS !! Amazing !

But… I couldn’t install it. It says “wrong architecture” even though it’s an Intel-equipped box.

ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
    24M39C7201596
    RAIDiator 4.1.8 [1.00a043]
    256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

192. Ove September 14th, 2011 8:36 pm

Sorry, my bad. It’s sparc-based of course… time to upgrade I think :)

193. JM September 20th, 2011 10:10 pm

I was excited to try Plex on my Ubuntu 11 box. Downloaded and installed without a hitch. however i did come across a bug that is preventing me from using it.
    where/how can we notify you about bugs?

194. Kamau September 29th, 2011 5:57 pm

Awesome work. Love it on my Macs, iPods and iPads. Now if we can get it on my Drobo FS! I wold be golden…

195. Streamer October 5th, 2011 9:01 pm

+1 for a QNAP Arm version!

196. jay October 8th, 2011 5:00 am

Go for synology diskstation asap pls :)

197. Klaus October 8th, 2011 10:43 am

and another one for QNAP ARM based systems!!

198. Paul MARCHAND October 9th, 2011 3:52 pm

What’s up for ARM ?

199. jraddical October 17th, 2011 10:20 pm

+1 for Synology!!! Please!!!

200. Nick Vass November 3rd, 2011 4:51 pm

Synology, Synology, Synology, Synology, Synology, Synology, Synology, Synology, Synology, Synology,

Please Please Please Please!

201. admin November 7th, 2011 7:56 am

Synology 211+ and 712+

202. marco November 16th, 2011 4:55 am

Please add support also for Synology with ARM processor (on the fly media encoding is not a must IMHO)

203. Tom November 21st, 2011 2:13 am

Synology ARM I would love to see supported (I own a DS212). No on the fly encoding is necessary for me.

204. Pierre December 8th, 2011 9:20 am

+1 for FreeNAS :)

205. henkall December 16th, 2011 5:18 am

support for a Dual-core ARM 11 processor
    would be greate. :)

206. Lee December 22nd, 2011 4:57 pm

+1 for D-Link NAS; specifically DNS-323 in my case. I store my DVD rips there, and while I can run Plex from a Windows PC on my network to play videos on my Roku, it would make a lot more sense to run the Plex server on the NAS itself. It’s already running a hackable Linux (see FunPlug for more on what people have done with this versatile box).

Pleasepleasepleaseplease… :)

207. Herbert December 26th, 2011 7:51 am

Hey i also like to see a port for the Synology DS 212+
    (ARM based) so +1

208. Limak74 January 2nd, 2012 1:35 pm

Is it possilbe to get ARM synology version I own DS211+ 1.6Ghz 512MB PLEASE! ;)
    we ( synology ARM users) are waiting so long for it
    Be so kind compile ARM synology one for us

209. Lavalamp January 4th, 2012 10:23 am

+1 SPARC ReadyNAS NV+

210. myatix January 7th, 2012 11:41 pm

+1 QNAP version

211. Ra88it January 11th, 2012 3:09 pm

Arch Linux ARM vote over here… there are tons of the pogo plugs on the market now and this would be an amazing addition to get more on board for the PLEX server running on a low power draw source. THANKS!

212. steve January 17th, 2012 8:03 pm

1+freenas please!!!!!!!!

213. Kl0f January 21st, 2012 10:18 am

Linus arm please!

214. badtrip January 22nd, 2012 3:17 pm

You can’t call it “Penguin-Friendly” and not have a client for the penguin. boooo

215. BiNAX February 1st, 2012 4:49 am

+1 for D-Link NAS, especially for DNS-325 (I own).
    I own it and also a LG TV which has the Plex Client inside.
    So I’d like to have the PMS “embedded” in the NAS, without being forced to install one PMS on a “middleware” notebook.

PLEASE! PLEASE! ;)

216. Michael February 9th, 2012 12:03 pm

Please ReadyNAS Duo V2 support !!!!!!!!

217. steve February 21st, 2012 6:22 pm

+1 for Freenas please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

218. freenasholic March 19th, 2012 10:14 pm

+1 For FreeNas!

219. Lee March 28th, 2012 10:19 pm

+1 for ARM (QNAP TS419+II)

220. Stegen March 29th, 2012 2:47 am

+3 for FreeNas (FreeBSD)

221. Tom Lazar May 12th, 2012 4:17 am

and another +1 for a FreeBSD port!

222. sweener May 29th, 2012 4:07 pm

+1 for ARM (QNAP TS-219P II)

223. Sameer Kulkarni July 23rd, 2012 11:51 am

+1 for Arch Linux ARM…. Pogoplugs

224. Albert August 5th, 2012 6:50 am

+1 for ARM (QNAP TS-219P)

225. hairtown October 1st, 2012 11:42 am

+1 for ARM (QNAP TS419+II

226. jfenton January 23rd, 2013 2:21 pm

+1 for Solaris/Illumos/SmartOS port

227. Fabio Falco March 26th, 2013 7:47 am

+1 for D-Link NAS, especially for DNS-325 (I own).
    I own it and also a Samsung TV which has the Plex Client inside.

PLEASE! PLEASE!

228. Rich May 22nd, 2013 6:17 am

+1 for Solaris/Illumos/SmartOs port.

Lack of ZFS is a non-starter for any server for me.

229. elan May 22nd, 2013 10:10 am

@Rich: I’ve been running ZFS on Linux (native) with Plex Media Server for over a year. Works great :)

230. jake June 12th, 2013 8:43 pm

Is there a list of NAS boxes which have can run Plex on by itself as a media server without having to have a PC on? Cheers