Plex v0.9.2.5 - All Apologies - Plex Blog

Plex v0.9.2.5 – All Apologies

| 21 Mar 2011 | by 55 Comments

Well, you know what they say about the best-laid plans of mice, men and software engineers.

The last release contained a stupid database bug which caused the following issues in certain cases (mostly from-scratch scans):

• Scans wouldn’t bring in new content.
  • Deleting the trash would crash the media server.

We apologize profusely for this issue, and we will strive to do better in the future. For starters, we’ll be sure to push major new releases as incrementals/betas before we push via Sparkle. We’ll also consider either administering beatings or reducing the beer rations as negative incentives for those guilty of the bugs.

(A known issue with this release – the last few, actually – is IDX/SUB subtitles. We’ll be working on it.)

Barkley raised his per-photo licensing rates, so we’re going to have to skip this release.

1. R.D. March 21st, 2011 10:49 pm

Knowing that you are looking into IDX/SUB subtitles makes me a very happy camper! Thanks for a GREAT app!

2. Jper415 March 21st, 2011 10:51 pm

People make mistakes. Thanks a ton for the speedy fixes.

3. Jesper March 21st, 2011 10:56 pm

sweet, everything is working again, well done, that was fast

4. Dwarf March 21st, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks for all the efforts, but hate to say that subtitles still aren’t working over here :(

I have seperate .srt files with the same name as the video files. Unless this is actually the same problem as the IDX/SUB issue. Then I will shut my mouth …

5. Mando March 21st, 2011 11:07 pm

Hey man…sh!t happens!!! I think MORE beer is in order :)

6. pooploser March 21st, 2011 11:09 pm

kudos to all of you. have a good night’s sleep now. you deserve it.

7. Nixta March 21st, 2011 11:10 pm

When I worked on a large project in Australia (there were us Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, and a few Seppos in the mix), if anyone broke the build we would have a SCRAG.

At some point, the dev team (some 20 of us) would subtly converge on the offender and on a pre-arranged signal would jump them, pick them up, and throw them into a large pile of empty boxes in the storage room to shouts of “SCRAAAAAAAG!!” optionally wailing on them for a few seconds depending on the reason the build broke.

The poor office cleaning staff would turn up each day (we’d all still be there, of course, coz we were young and naively enthusiastic, and there was beer and wine in the office) and scratch their heads in puzzlement at the contents of the room, stack up the boxes as best they could, and get on with their evening. They tried a number of different stacking techniques over the weeks we were there, all to no avail.

The SCRAGging stopped for two reasons.

1) One of us started causing so many broken builds that he kept a screwdriver and a can of pepper-spray on his desk in case he got jumped (he threatened to use the screwdriver for stabbing, but was never quick enough). This just took the fun out of it.
    2) The office cleaning staff layered the boxes with wooden pallets to add stability. You know, the ones that you load stuff onto for forklift trucks. Before we noticed they’d been added, we nearly smacked one of our least-scragworthy developer’s head into one of them when he uncharacteristically broke the build. It didn’t help that he declared loudly in the third person that he never broke a build. We stopped after that near miss, though the threat still remained.

Regardless, the System Configuration Resource Alignment Guide was a very effective deterrent. I suggest you try something like that before you take away a poor chap’s beer :)

8. Mickey March 21st, 2011 11:10 pm

You guys do great work. Mistakes happen…nothing of value was lost (except maybe some of your 150GB/mo cap if you’re on AT&T) :-)

9. brent112 March 21st, 2011 11:14 pm

Mistakes happen, no worries. Keep up the great work!!!

10. Frank March 21st, 2011 11:35 pm

Thank you guys for all your hard work. I appreciate it a lot and I’m sure that I’m not the only one.

11. David March 21st, 2011 11:52 pm

Can I once again ask please, please, please that you look into putting in ‘Composer’ as a way of sorting iTunes? This is the one feature that I really need, and now with the iPad as another client, it’s even more critical. It can’t be that hard, can it?

12. RckSTR March 21st, 2011 11:55 pm

imo i think its great that you guys try and bring out new features or corrections fast rather than over-proofing everything. After all, more users will be able to give you fast feedback moving further development on faster. Great work!

13. elan March 22nd, 2011 12:10 am

@Nixta – Best. Comment. Ever. Thanks for sharing, I had to look up the meaning of the term “Seppos” – love it.

14. boots2x March 22nd, 2011 12:20 am

@nixta – Thanks man! I came down with Flu and your post REALLY made my day! Those poor cleaners… Oh! The Cleanamity!!!

15. MaenXe March 22nd, 2011 1:12 am

@nixta great post. I’m glad we never implemented that at my office!

@elan, still no windows build? WTF? I’m feeling neglected, but still loving 0.9.203 on my Win HTPC with my Android Client. If you made a Win Client, I could get rid of Boxee!

M@

16. LucaSchiavoni March 22nd, 2011 1:22 am

XtrA-ZzzuPer-Thanks! ;)
    I retry immediatly the scan!

LucaS

17. elan March 22nd, 2011 1:24 am

@MaenXe: Testing the Windows build as we speak :)

18. kbrooklyn March 22nd, 2011 3:00 am

dammit Barkley!

19. Guy March 22nd, 2011 4:14 am

@Nixta. Who u calling a seppo you Pommy skip!!

20. Patrick March 22nd, 2011 6:08 am

I’m OUTRAGED…. there’s no picture of Barkley :(

No worries, mistakes happen – but definitely less beer for the culprits!

21. tine2k March 22nd, 2011 8:11 am

If you guys were to give a release candidate to the community I would be very happy to help testing before the final release. I am sure many other would contribute too.

22. irven March 22nd, 2011 8:41 am

I’m still having problem with scanner, it find only a part of my movies (i got 250 movies and it finds only 200). Can you help me?

23. James March 22nd, 2011 12:09 pm

If anyone else having the Plex media server continually ‘Starting’ and no plug-ins displaying with the client? I have restarted with no change.

24. rescph March 22nd, 2011 3:41 pm

Your ALL FORGIVEN boys (and girls) …

We still LOVE you! :)

Every new release of (anything) PLEX is like Christmas eve, over and over and over again … just fantastic :—–)

25. Johan March 22nd, 2011 3:49 pm

Will it be a fix for SRT and subtitles in MKV’s?

26. kffnqtd March 22nd, 2011 4:23 pm

Plex cannot supply 5.1 sound output?

27. Ian March 22nd, 2011 5:29 pm

Fair enough, mistakes happen, I won’t get too cut up over it.

Is there any chance of releasing delta patches for future point releases in the future? It seems a bit… excessive… to have to download the entire suite for what is presumably a relatively minor change.

28. matt March 22nd, 2011 5:48 pm

Is anyone else having problems getting out of search ?

29. Bram March 22nd, 2011 6:54 pm

Switch all developers to Belgian beer. You’ll need less and it tastes better. :)
    Looking forward to the iPad/iPhone release too. Thanks guys!

30. Wilbur33 March 22nd, 2011 7:33 pm

Hopefully I will get my iPad 2 on Friday (norway). Cant wait to play with the iOS app and Plex!
    First app I will buy for sure! Looking forward to the new iOS as well!

31. Jamie March 22nd, 2011 7:40 pm

Elan,

Please don’t beat yourselves up about, you guys have built a fine product. Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Jamie

32. Nixta March 22nd, 2011 7:46 pm

@elan, @boots2x, @MaenXe: Such praise! I’m blushing. But, since my XCode skills are so non-existent, I’ll consider my comment a contribution to the continuing amazing development of the Marvelous Mechanical Plex Organ :)

Feel better soon, boots2x!

@Guy: Whinging Pommy Skip, please :)

33. machamr March 22nd, 2011 9:29 pm

Bad timing for changing my medialibrary :D
    Thanks for the quick update, love your work, keep rocking!

34. aeg March 22nd, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks a lot for the hard work on this software. Use it on a daily basis, couldn’t live without it!

35. boots2x March 22nd, 2011 10:57 pm

@Nixta ROTFFL at this – seen on your Blog http://nixtarolls.nixta.com/post/2102755052

36. Soli March 23rd, 2011 10:28 am

I usually never have any problems but I have installed 0.9.2.5 and tried to update PMS with some new movies but there was 1 movie it would not take.
    So I fired up Media Manager, and then to the movies section. clicked edit section and added and extra folder that PMS should scan. Put the new movie in the new folder and PMS sees it. Put the movie back with the other films, PMS wont see it. What’s up with that?

37. Tom March 23rd, 2011 12:41 pm

YOU ROCK! :-)

38. kaijuu March 23rd, 2011 11:58 pm

Same problem as @James: Server stuck at Starting, so no plug-ins.

39. tungsten2k March 24th, 2011 4:54 am

Regarding all this subtitle action…

I got so fed up dealing with directories and filename-based sub matches and such, that I just bit the bullet and used MKVMerge to embed the subs right into the MKV. Sure it takes about 90 seconds of setup time per movie, the transient space to store the new MKV, then another 60 seconds to inspect the resulting on-screen log, test play/scrub-through the new MKV, then toss the old one in the trash. Given how long it takes to actually *watch* the movie, the few minutes per movie to “clean” it all up so I don’t have to manage separate subs was worth it for me.

I did the same with all the Rifftrax movies I have as well… drag-n-drop the HD MKV and the low-res Rifftrax AVI into MKVMerge, select all the streams except the low-res movie in the AVI, name the Rifftrax audio track “Rifftrax” and mux to a new file… bingo: HD movie with selectable “Rifftrax” audio track (or “Commentary x”, etc.)

At some point when the PMS is nailed down, and attention moves back to the front end, I’m hoping that we can either be given the tools to write a plug-in, or it gets built-in standard, to scan for these audio tracks and show a visual indicator in the Plex interface for any movies with “*Rifftrax*” or “*Commentary*” audio tracks, etc. But, that’s a topic for another day !

Thanks again for keeping the development at a brisk pace ! Anyone complaining about these quickly-fixed regressions should look at the first number in the version of Plex ;)

40. electro March 24th, 2011 6:48 pm

Every time I add a new episode to any TV show’s folder, the media manager catches a strange dragon ball-z metadata. Interesting bug, as I don’t have a single episode of this show.
    Besides that, the Plex is rock solid. Love the implementation of newer flash versions support. Keep up the good work, dude!

41. elan March 25th, 2011 12:39 am

@tungsten2k: Thanks for your proactive/positive approach to things, very much appreciated :)

42. Guy March 25th, 2011 3:02 am

Cmon man. Wheres the ios app update!?!?!?!

43. Taco March 25th, 2011 7:02 pm

My recent download of 0.9.2.5 is not recognised by my MacBook Pro… Whazzup?

44. Jicka March 26th, 2011 3:32 am

I’m with “guy” up there what’s up with the iOS update has it been submitted at least? The wait is killing me, the preview posted last week was such a tease lol.t

45. elan March 26th, 2011 4:40 am

Almost done, we fixed a bunch more bugs over the last few days :)

46. Damian March 26th, 2011 8:31 am

Don’t give up now! There’s still work to do. SRT is still not working at all (Not after force rescan and not after new added media). I understand the most important reason for the upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2.x was subtitle support and auto download them from opensubtitles. But that’s useless if you can’t see the subtitles it downloads (and I don’t see it working either).
    I’m still keeping and using 9.1. until the beer effect washes out.
    9.1.x = Amazing soft.
    9.2.x (5 included) = catastrophic.

47. elan March 26th, 2011 8:34 am

@Damian: would love to help you, please post details in the forums. There are still buglets, but it should work pretty well!

48. Andreas March 27th, 2011 12:08 pm

I’d love if you guys put back “empty the trash on each refresh” as the default value in the media manager. I think that the majority of the plex users use it as a 10-feet interface. If I have to quit plex and open the media manager each time I do a change, It would kinda defeat the purpose? Thanks.

49. Shallow March 27th, 2011 1:05 pm

**it Happenz, still love Plex ;)

50. elan March 27th, 2011 8:25 pm

@Andreas: it’s an option in the library tab of preferences :)

51. Luke March 27th, 2011 10:09 pm

Excellent release, thanks guys.

52. Amos March 28th, 2011 3:06 am

Update downloads page?

53. Hans March 28th, 2011 8:59 pm

Hope you fix this one as well: deleting video’s isn’t working anymore. When I remove a video from the directory, in the former Plex version it would delete it in Media Server. Now I get a yellow triangle and am stuck with an icon in media server for a movie I don’t want

54. elan March 28th, 2011 10:05 pm

@Hans: Just empty the trash with the icon on the lower left :-) Or go to Library Preferences and have it automatically empty the trash for you.

55. Howie March 29th, 2011 1:21 am

Would really love to see some dts wave, or any higher resolution sound formats. DTS-MA anyone?????