Plex v0.9.2.4 - Solidification - Plex Blog

Plex v0.9.2.4 – Solidification

| 21 Mar 2011 | by 73 Comments

No matter how much testing you do, software always has bugs. It’s the curse of our profession. I guess you could say the same about any product or profession (say, that Beatles song with the guitars ever so slightly out of tune, or the house with the floors that are not quite level). But with those things, the imperfections can add to the final product, add to its character, whereas with software, flaws are just undesirable warts. Such is the binary nature of our profession.

I read a paper years ago that described the curve of bugs left over time for a piece of software, assuming new bugs are never added, and while the number asymptotically approached zero, the curve went out for ten thousand years before reaching anywhere close to it. This was both eye-opening and depressing at the same time.

Anyway, enough digression, and on with the release, which fixes a number of issues. First and foremost, let’s talk subtitles. We had a number of people comment that they liked seeing english subtitles with english audio, so of course, we listened. We listened because we care deeply about our users, and the happier they are, the happier we are! So let’s look at the new preferences:

System 2

If you pick the “Manually Selected” option, we’ll never show subtitles by default, unless you manually enable them. With the second option, we will attempt to automatically show subtitles when the audio is foreign (e.g. if you’re portuguese, we’ll try to show you portuguese subtitles for a libyan movie).

The third option is new, and with it we’ll try very hard to display subtitles, using the following heuristics:

1. If we find a subtitle matching your requested language, we’ll show it (even if the audio language matches). This solves the “english on english” case.
  2. If there is a “sidecar” subtitle (i.e. a subtitle file next to the video file) we’ll pick that even if the language didn’t match, because most of the time when people have a subtitle file sitting there, they want to display it.
  3. If there is a single subtitle embedded in the file, we’ll use that even if the language didn’t match.

Hopefully that should be a step in the right direction. Please always bear in mind that if the automatic heuristics get it wrong, you can simply make a manual choice, and this will be remembered. On all clients.

The other slightly tricky thing about subtitles in the last release was that if you already had your media scanned into Plex, you had to do a forced refresh to find and process the subtitles. This is obviously just a transitional issue (since any new media scanned in will get the subtitles right away). Let me just explain quickly what you need to do in order to get your subtitles into the library:

First, make sure that the Local Media Assets agent is enabled for movies (Freebase) and TV Shows (TheTVDB). This will be the case on new installs, but if you’ve been with us for a while, it’s possible you don’t have them turned on:

Metadata Agent Settings

Next, you can try with a single piece of media by right clicking and selecting “Refresh Metadata”. This will pull in subtitles for a single show or a movie.

Finally, you can load all subtitles for all your media by shift-clicking on the refresh button. This will not overwrite your locked metadata or change any posters you’ve selected.

Plex Media Manager 3

Here is a full list of bugs this release fixes. The Mac downloads have been made live on the main page and via Sparkle, and the Windows builds will be made live tomorrow after we do some final testing. Thanks for your patience and for all your great feedback on the last release.

• FIX: The Media Server would crash on start if you had certain plug-ins installed with bogus XML.
  • FIX: In certain cases, a scan would result in multiple movies showing the same name/poster.
  • FIX: A few fixes for soft deletion, including merged movies not showing the /! icon.
  • FIX: Changing the view type in Unwatched Shows would change the view type for episodes.
  • FIX: Possible fix for an OS X Lion crash (Plex is still unsupported on Lion).
  • FIX: Plex should now pick DTS/AC3 tracks over stereo when connected to a receiver.
  • FIX: When you play a video via iOS application, screen saver is turned off on Plex.
  • FIX: [Win] Issue with the transcoder, many videos wouldn’t play.
  • FIX: [Win] Posters for seasons/episodes not displaying.
  • FIX: [Win] Customization of application support directory wasn’t working.

This release, as always, brought to you by Barkley, looking a bit fang-ful.

Photo

1. Syncopation March 21st, 2011 10:15 am

Elan et al,
    I can only repeat: It’s great to see Plex moving forward and becoming more and more usable.

Thank You!

2. edtwodth March 21st, 2011 10:33 am

“Plex should now pick DTS/AC3 tracks over stereo when connected to a receiver.”

Thanks for the update, but i still have to manuel select DTS/AC3 ?

I use handbrake withe the Apple Tv / apple tv2 preset.

3. R.D. March 21st, 2011 10:42 am

Great update!
    I have one question though.

Elan: Is there a chance support for .idx/.sub subtitles will be back with a future update. I have about 300 movies and a few tv-shows with this subtitle format. Most of them are foreign movies which are useless without subtitles. And there is not available .srt subtitles available for them. .idx/.sub worked fine up to release 0.9.2.3.

Anyway, Plex is great!

4. pooploser March 21st, 2011 10:47 am

thanks Plex staff!
    Elan, does this include the fix for the .srt subtitle bug i described to you?
    cheers!

5. Jimmy March 21st, 2011 10:48 am

Great release once again! Seems like Plex is moving towards perfection!

6. Martin Jönsson March 21st, 2011 11:03 am

Consider this user VERY happy indeed. Not that I was ever UNhappy, just a bit annoyed :)

Thank you for your continued hard work. Plex will always hold a special place for me, because I know you guys really do care about what you do. In the world of abandonware, that’s great to know.

7. mitch March 21st, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks elan !

Can’t wait to stress test the PMS on Lion ;-)

Concerning the subtitles settings, you are going in the right direction but if I understand correctly your post it is not ideal. I explain (note : I am a french speaking user) :

- For movies, most of them have both french and english audio with french and english subtitles embedded in the mkv. Some have only english audio with french and english subtitles. I always watch my movies in french without subtitles (if available, if not english audio with french subtitles) so for me “Shown with foreign audio” is the way to go.

- For TV Shows it’s a different story, all of them are in english with french subtitles embedded in the mkv. The problem is that the subtitles are not “advertised” as french. So in this case I have to use “Always enabled”.

So the issue here is that I have an uncomfortable choice to do : activate manually subtitles for all my TV shows or manually inactivate subtitles for all my Movies. Not really great.

I am sure that a lot of international Plex users are in the same case. I would like to add that the last versions of Plex were displaying subtitles correctly for both movies and TV shows. I mean I never had to care about them.

Ideally, it would be great if “Shown with foreign audio” could also activate subtitles when there is only one subtitles embedded in the mkv that has no language name.

I have not tested this build yet so if it’s already the case I apologize. I will do some testing tonight and report.

Thanks again for taking care of your international clients and for the hard work.

8. Syncopation March 21st, 2011 11:20 am

So for me as a german guy does this mean that english is foreign audio? How is that defined? Is the system language of Mac OS X defining this? for me as a german, of course german audio is not foreign audio. Could you elaborate on this?

9. Syncopation March 21st, 2011 11:25 am

Sry, I just saw the “prefere audio track in: ….” so I assume that this is the default audio and everythign else is foreign. That is great. I like to watch movies in the language they were filmed. So many english movies for me although I am german. That would also mean, that I’d set english as the preferred audio since I have more movies that were filmed in english than in german.

The current configuration then would display subtitles for german since that would be a “foreign” language under this configuration. Which is not true in my use case, since I’m a german.

I have no idea how to implement this complex setup and I’m not trying to say the current sucks. It’s just some food for though for the future and what use-cases outside the US might look like. :)

10. Dean Mayers March 21st, 2011 11:25 am

Cool update. I can finally rewatch Ghost in The Shell: Stand alone complex in HD!

BTW who do I complain to about my shows not scanning? Spartacus Gods of The Arena and Martina Cole’s The Take don’t show up at all.

11. dev March 21st, 2011 11:31 am

12. Soli March 21st, 2011 11:40 am

Elan, the screensaver bug is still there.
    If the screensaver is active on Plex, and I choose to play something (movie,music/plugins) from the media library view using the iOS app, then the movie will begin playing in the background on the plex OSX client while the screensaver still shows. PLEASE!! it should be soooooo simple to fix. It’s been there since the first release! The iOS is half unusable without this fix!

13. Robert March 21st, 2011 11:53 am

Any chance dts stutter is gone? I love plex but haven’t been able to give it a shot again because of this :(

14. Nick March 21st, 2011 12:01 pm

Great stuff! Regarding subtitles, as I understand there’s no way at the moment that they can be automatically picked up if added later in the movie’s folder? If so, will this change in the future?

15. Jayce March 21st, 2011 12:09 pm

Cant wait to get my hands on the new iOS app! any ETA on that?

16. Joahol March 21st, 2011 12:09 pm

Been waiting for this one. Thank you Plex team – your software is truly fantastic!

17. SteeBro March 21st, 2011 12:14 pm

Thanks for working this hard during the weekend just to present this bug fix!

Much appreciated!

18. Sascha March 21st, 2011 12:18 pm

I would like to thank Elan and his team for this quick subtitle fix !

I was following the threads on the forum about that, and I saw that some people are very impatient. Me, I had always faith in the devs !

Thanks again, and keep up the good work !

19. Chapindad March 21st, 2011 1:09 pm

Thanks for the quick update. My wide will be very happy! ;)

20. Chapindad March 21st, 2011 1:09 pm

Thanks for the quick update. My wife will be very happy! ;)

21. Chapindad March 21st, 2011 1:11 pm

BTW, I like the new option but could it be moved to a section selection instead of a global selection or have it in both places. I know, I know. We are never happy. :)

22. djpoulet March 21st, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks for your efficiency regarding bug fixes.
    You’re making a great work which permit all of us to enjoy our media in the best ever way !
    Say hello to Barkley for me ;)

A foreign user (French) who appreciates the efforts made for non US users.

23. Patrick March 21st, 2011 1:15 pm

It’s amazing how dedicated you guys are, especially for something that’s open source and free. I know how hard it is to get open source projects moving, and you guys have certainly done well.

Keep it up! :)

24. radar March 21st, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks guys.

25. Patty Brard March 21st, 2011 1:39 pm

Great to have the always on for subtitles!

26. SimonB March 21st, 2011 1:45 pm

Elan and others involved – Plex justifies, on its own, my jump into the Mac pool with the purchase of my Mac Pro late last year. Many, many thanks – I am in love. Thanks so much for your updates, keep up the good work!

27. monkeyrotica March 21st, 2011 1:57 pm

Awesome. The Media Server crash thing forced me to downgrade to the previous version (couldn’t stream to AppleTV or iPhone). Will give this one a try because I REALLY need those subtitles.

28. Koxi March 21st, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi Elan,
    that looks promising. Well I’m not a fan of subtitles anyway and I hope the bug (?) is also fixed, that subtitles will be enabled when jumping around in a videofile (even if subtitles were not enabled by default). I prefer watching movies in the original language (as long as it is german, italian or english) and manually enable them on languages I do not speak (e.g. japanese, portuguese and so on).
    So if the automatism is off with “manually selected” I’m happy with it.
    Besides that .. Thanks alot for your great work.

29. twangus March 21st, 2011 2:37 pm

Wow, I have been using Plex for about a year now, and the progress that you all have made in that time is truly amazing! You should be extremely proud.

30. pippo March 21st, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks for this Elan.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by “This will pull in subtitles for a single show or a movie”.

Are the subtitles fetched automatically from opensubtitles.org? If so, where are the files stored? What if subtitles are already present in the container? Can I disactivate this by deselecting “Local Media Assets” ?

thanks

31. nadocrew March 21st, 2011 3:27 pm

where can we download the release?

32. Jper415 March 21st, 2011 3:42 pm

Thank you guys!! Just got an appletv in anticipation of the new iOS app. Can’t wait! THE PLEX TEAM RULES!!

33. pippo March 21st, 2011 3:58 pm

Hmm, perhaps rather than “Local Media Assets” I should deselect opensubtitles.org if I don’t want subtitles to be downloaded automarically, right?

34. Bitwize March 21st, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for this bugfix release! I don’t believe this fixes an NFS/SMB share bug though :( After upgrading from 0.9.1.17 to this release, I am unable to get new files recognized by PMS via NFS and SMB shares. Adding a new section in PMS results in all files being scanned into the library, but the previous sections are not being updated. Seems several users are reporting this behavior as well. Are you officially aware of this bug? Thx again for all you’re doing with Plex!!

35. tux March 21st, 2011 4:05 pm

I Love you!

36. Darby March 21st, 2011 4:06 pm

A big bag of two finger poi for all!

37. Stokkes March 21st, 2011 4:07 pm

What about the sync issues? Lots of forum posts of audio/video going out of sync. Never happened in versions prior to 0.9.2.3 and I believe in the post related to that releated, you indicate that you were “working on it”. Can we get a status update?

Most of my videos now go out of sync, reverting back to a version prior to 0.9.2.3 fixes it.

38. Adam March 21st, 2011 4:19 pm

Just amazing guys. I don’t know how you turn around these fixes so fast.

39. Tobias March 21st, 2011 4:27 pm

40. Melvin Fields March 21st, 2011 4:33 pm

Just installed .9.2.4 update this morning, was having problems with Lynda.com showing nothing under categories (later discovered that Lynda.com redesigned their site, this was cause of issue), went to Plex Online, discovered that when I click on a category, nothing happens. If a category has sub folders, they will display, but no actual plug-ins ever display. I waited several minutes, nothing happened. For example, if I click on Most Popular, nothing happens, no pop-up saying waiting… with a cancel option, nothing.

I searched forums, found a post saying to delete framework.bundle and system.bundle from Plug-ins folder, did that, same problem.

Anyone else reporting this problem? I had just upgraded to .9.2.3 last week before updating to latest this morning, but had not checked Plex Online to install plug-ins after .9.2.3 update, so not sure when problem started.

I searched forums this morning, found nothing related to this issue, figured I may be one of the first to update.

Thanks,
    Melvin Fields

41. wally007 March 21st, 2011 4:38 pm

Hello dev team, it is still a bit unclear how retrieval and detection of subtitles is handled.

1, Say i have a movie ABCD and at the time PLex adds it to the database there is no subtitle for the movie but 2 days later someone uploads subtitles to opensubtitles.org. Does Plex regulary check for available subtitles?

2, Same scenario as no.1 but I add subtitles to the movie directory myself. Will Plex recognize that new .str file was added to the directory and automatically play it (provided I’ve got ALWAYS ENABLED option ON)?

42. Michael Nordmeyer March 21st, 2011 4:47 pm

Great release. Exactly what I was looking for. I hated it to manually turn on subtitles on movies with non-english audio.

I hope “A few fixes for soft deletion” means fixing the “MediaItem::DestroySoftly” or missing deleted_at column bug. Plex Media Scanner crashed constantly on me while manually deleting using “Empty Section Trash” which I was struggling with on the weekend. Emptying the trash automatically worked, although.

43. cde2006 March 21st, 2011 4:57 pm

Where is the Windows version?

44. Brand March 21st, 2011 5:14 pm

The Windows Media Server download link is still at version 9.2.3

45. Charles March 21st, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the great work guys.
    You continue to show the way to the future of entertainment.

46. 6ive March 21st, 2011 6:02 pm

Much, much, much appreciated! :)

47. Sascha March 21st, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks. But I can’t enter any of the submenus below Plex Online/More… anymore (for example, going into update history or check for Metadata Agents). Nothing happens when selecting any of the menu nodes.

48. chander March 21st, 2011 6:44 pm

Quick and needed update. Thanks!

49. Xain09 March 21st, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanx for another great update. I was having tbe same poster issue in tbe last release. Great thinking on the subtitle part! Logic!

50. xxtiboxx March 21st, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi !

thanks for this update but i have the same problme than Sascha, No more access to The Plex Store..

51. elan March 21st, 2011 7:20 pm

@Stokkes: Do you have a file which demonstrates the sync issue? There were *zero* changes in the player in 0.9.2.3, so I find that extremely confusing. Please contact me offline if you’d like to discuss further.

52. elan March 21st, 2011 7:27 pm

@Michael: We had not heard of that issue :( I’m making a fix for it now and will upload a new release.

53. elan March 21st, 2011 7:29 pm

@wally007: 1) You need to force a refresh; we originally went with doing this automatically, but people preferred being in control of their own destiny. 2) Right now you would also need to refresh the movie, but we’re working on some improvements to make this easier.

54. elan March 21st, 2011 7:29 pm

To people having issues with Plex Online, can someone post a forum thread about it and post com.plexapp.system.log?

55. elan March 21st, 2011 7:39 pm

@Bitwize: I would need to see Plex Media Scanner logs, but one thing to check is if the problem occurs with a “deep scan” (option + click the refresh button). It’s possible something in the timestamps of NFS/SMB is throwing off the turbo-scanning feature.

56. elan March 21st, 2011 7:40 pm

@pippo: Correct, Local Media Assets agent goes after local subtitles, posters, etc. and the OpenSubtitles agent downloads subtitles from online.

57. elan March 21st, 2011 7:43 pm

@Nick: We’re planning on making this more automated in the future.

58. elan March 21st, 2011 7:45 pm

@pooploser, SRT bug will be fixed in the next framework release, which will be pushed automatically.

59. albert March 21st, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi Elan,

thanks for your and all the others hard work. I know myself how hard it is to write software that is good enough for the real world. Just keep up the good work!

But Im afraid one bug isnt done right now:
    I updated Plex and PMS today to 0.9.2.4. I had no sections and when adding the first section I have again some multiple entries. The result is different from 0.9.2.3.
    So obviously something was changed but its still not working.

If I can help or you need some more information please let me know!

60. elan March 21st, 2011 8:29 pm

@albert: please post a log and more details in the forum and point me to it.

61. Jesper March 21st, 2011 8:42 pm

i updated today, and know the scanner doesn’t find tv episodes stored in subfolders (series/”show”/”season”/)

this wasm’t a problem with 0.9.2.3

it still crashes when i empty trash

otherwise, it’s allmost perfect

62. Isa March 21st, 2011 8:56 pm

I love u guys. you are doing great job

63. dev March 21st, 2011 8:58 pm

Elan, opensubtitlles are horrifying. Is there a way to add as the subtitle source addic7ed? they are much better and faster with releases.

64. elan March 21st, 2011 9:28 pm

@dev: now that the mechanism is in place, it should be trivial to write new agents for other subtitle sites.

@Jesper: Both of those issues will be fixed in the soon-to-be-released 0.9.2.5 (we messed something up in this release).

65. marklight March 21st, 2011 10:11 pm

I have a mac mini running PMS that has all the content, and I also have a macbook pro w/ plex on it. I could have sworn that I was able to use the search feature on my macbook pro and search through the content on my mac mini. I’m no longer able to do this.

And I too am having issues w/ Plex online not showing anything.

66. Chris March 21st, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi Barkley, thanks dog! :)

I don’t know if my cry is heard.. But I’ve been having quite a lot of stability issues since version 9.x.x. Don’t get me wrong I love all the new features.. but to have a stable media centre that just works without any hassle when I pick up my remote is worth a lot more to me than streaming video. For example the screens saver bug that is now fixed, FINALY! That little bug bugged me for ages.. There’s a lot of those little things in Plex. I would suggest you try to fix those before you add new killer features (with more bugs =) talk about depressing..). It’s just such a hassle stopping and starting the application from SSH from my iPhone because it crashed.. Normally I control it via the iOS Plex app, but that doesn’t work after Plex hangs.. It hung on me mostly with plugins.. Maybe you should run them in their own thread or something. I just think Plex should become a stable product that can be called version 1.0.0 soon, that would be cool.. I’d even pay for it if it were, in fact I’m a bit bummed out that I payed for the iOS app every time the Plex app hangs on my mini , because it’s not…

Now you shouldn’t see this post all that negatively, I’m still using Plex, for over 2 years now.. Still sticking with it, in fact I think it’s the best media center software out there.. Sometimes it just pisses me off.. =) it’s a love-hate relationship at times when it should be all love.. xD

67. mkh March 22nd, 2011 9:50 am

Why did you people remove the old global sub folder supprt ?

it worked 1000 time better than this, now we have to add sub files to every movie folder ?

jesus christ

68. elan March 22nd, 2011 10:16 am

@mkh: I’m actually pretty sure jesus himself did not use subtitles. Please bear in mind that it’s not like we “removed” features, we are building up the library from scratch, with totally different design characteristics. I’m not even sure exactly how that feature you described worked, was it just a random folder somewhere that had thousands of subtitle files that had to match in name exactly some other file on the drive?

69. mkh March 22nd, 2011 10:39 am

I’ve enabled auto select subtitles, put all my subs in one folder and that worked perfect :(

With this i have to move all my sub to sep folders, which is a pain in the b…

Got like 1500 movies all with man downloaded sub..

And yes, the sub files have the exact name as the movie does…

Plex also had a “select subtitle folder ” some versions back…

Just do it like they did in xbmc, that would be awsome.. and let opensubtitle script download to one single folder… I bet my ass alot of people would like that (by the look of topics I’m pretty sure :D)

70. utility73 March 22nd, 2011 4:55 pm

I want to second the things mentioned by Nick and Wally007.
    With current 0.9.2.* versions it is very tedious to get subtitles in. Very often subtitles might not yet be available on Opensubtitles.org when Media Manager scans a new movies/tv episode. Up until 0.9.1.* I was fine to just download my subtitles and place them right beside the media files with names watching and knowing that Plex would just pickup the subtitle file and use it. Now I get the point of Plex to simplify the process of not having to do any work managing your subtitles, but at the current state it is really pretty awkward if it doesn’t get a subtitle file via the opensubtitles agent right away. Either downloading the subtitle file manually afterward and then having to refresh in Media Manager or just trying to refresh in Media Manager without knowing if it will download a subtitle and having to do this for each and every tv show (oder movie) creates a lot of extra work at the moment.

So I am looking forward to some solution which would at least make it easier to supply the subtitles ourselves -> i.e. like in 0.9.1 that if there is no other option (subtitles in metadata) that it will try to use subtitle by filename.

71. elan March 22nd, 2011 7:18 pm

@utility73: We will definitely continue to make improvements to how subtitles are handled. Bear in mind that some of the trickiness is the move from a giant monolithic media center to a client-server model that can work just as well with mobile (or other home) devices. Keep giving us feedback, and we’ll keep listening!

72. albert March 22nd, 2011 7:28 pm
  73. Mats April 3rd, 2011 5:02 pm

It should be quite possible to autodetect the language for subtitles whose language is not advertized. You could use google translate:
    or you could hack your own using trigrams: