Happy Holidays from Plex! - Plex Blog

Happy Holidays from Plex!

, | 24 Dec 2010 | by 36 Comments

We just wanted to take a moment and wish you and your families a happy holidays! Thanks for spending this exciting year with us, thanks for your feedback, your encouragement, your enthusiasm, your kind words, and even for your constructive criticism. We’ve come a long way in the last year, and we have some amazing plans for 2011!

We’d also like to drop a little something in the stockings of our development community out there, in the form of a development key for the transcoder embedded in the Plex Media Server. Even though we’ve handed quite a few out to people who have asked, there has never been a public key available, which would be useful for building an HTML5 browser for the Plex Media Server, or any other number of other interesting things.

Without further ado, here is the key:

API Key: KQMIY6GATPC63AIMC4R2
Secret Key: k3U6GLkZOoNIoSgjDshPErvqMIFdE0xMTx8kgsrhnC0=

(Here’s some sample Javascript code that shows you how to use it, thanks to our friend Frank; we’ll have more details up shortly.)

The only limitation on this key is that it may not be used for any commercial application, including any application (whether free or not) in any app store, without discussing it with us first.

I should point out in relation to this key, and community development around Plex in general, that two full-time employees of Plex came to our attention because of really cool contributions they made to the project. We’re going to be looking to grow the company in the coming year, so if you’re a kick-ass developer who would like to work on an amazingly fun project, build something with all the tools at your disposal, and blow us away.

But for now, eat, drink, be merry, and spend some time with the people you love!

IMG_9718.jpg

1. Mickey December 24th, 2010 5:39 am

Merry Christmas to the whole team! Thank you for all !

2. pv_bain December 24th, 2010 6:43 am

thanks to you Elan and the growing team, if i were a developper, i would jump into this project, but the best thing i could offer is a movie/an add/an edit… i have to take some time to answer your mail, and of course

MERRY CHRISTMAS

3. Itamar December 24th, 2010 9:41 am

Happy Holidays everyone….

4. Jochem December 24th, 2010 1:28 pm

I am curious what 2011 will bring us! 2010 you rocked, thanks everyone!

5. pat q. December 24th, 2010 2:12 pm

thanks a ton for this and thanks to all of the PLEX team for your hard work. merry xmas to you all!!!

6. Trevor December 24th, 2010 3:46 pm

I’m really looking forward to seeing what folks do with this! Merry Christmas all!

7. cyantist December 24th, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks Elan.. Merry Christmas to you and your family, and here’s to a GREAT 2011!!

8. Maxym December 25th, 2010 10:31 am

yeap, and captcha service is on holidays either, so I can’t register on forums :(

9. falconexe December 26th, 2010 6:04 pm

Elan and Plex Family,

Is there any news on native playback of Blu-ray ISO rips in Plex? I love just dropping my DVD ISOs into Plex. I have hundreds of Blu-rays that I have ripped into Plex via MakeMKV, but I am eager to re-rip them with AnyDVD as straight ISO files so that the menus and special features are available for Blu-rays as well.

I just want to know if the feature is on the horizon and an estimated date for completion. You guys have transformed my media experience and I am extremely grateful for all of your hard work! Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

10. John Eriksson December 29th, 2010 2:38 am

Now there is a new update, but again nothing about what’s new in this version (13)
    I think it would be quite good with a change log…

11. elan December 29th, 2010 9:28 am

@John: The changes are described in the last blog post; the incremental, after testing by the community, became the official release.

12. gs January 1st, 2011 8:38 am

Just pluck the X-Plex-Access-Key parameter and append it to the URL string? I’m getting “401 Unauthorized” … does it have to be a POST request or will it accept a GET?

13. elan January 1st, 2011 11:38 am

@gs: You need to put all three parameters on the URL, and compute them each time based on the URL you’re transcoding.

14. gs January 1st, 2011 12:51 pm

Ah, I thought it might ask for the private key hash later. With all three parameters in the string, I’m getting a 400 Bad Request … here’s what the log says:

Jan 01, 2011 16:40:13 [0xb0ace000] ERROR – Had trouble breaking
    X-Plex-Access-Code=MeLVyM3/PDXBRcccU0pjZYaWRsnkjWLKz9NxxGxkHKM=
    Jan 01, 2011 16:40:13 [0xb0ace000] ERROR – ERROR: Parsing request failed.

All the other parameters parsed fine. If I intentionally give it a bad private key hash, it will correctly send a 401 and not break on the X-Plex-Access. I assume this is just returning a m3u8 container with the location to the string?

15. gs January 1st, 2011 12:51 pm

location to the string = location to the stream.

16. elan January 1st, 2011 1:05 pm

@gs: I think the issue you’re seeing is that you have to encode the URL parameter values, having a “/” character is illegal.

17. Marcus January 1st, 2011 2:14 pm

Thank you for adding MP4 Meta Tag and cover support, so i’m no longer bound to itunes;

I have about 400 mp4 movies tagged with identify (covers, infos etc).
    iTunes shows everything correct. I added the directory containing those movies to plex media server; half of the movies is identified correctly by the media server; it uses my local covers and tags; the rest of my movies aren’t recognized -> no tags no covers, allthough they are tagged the same way; i only use local agents no freebase etc lookups; any ideas?

18. elan January 1st, 2011 3:36 pm

@Marcus, I would love to get a hold of one of the movies which isn’t working, I’m sure there is some difference in the ATOMs or something like that. With the help of people like you, we can fix these issues and get it working better for everyone!

19. Marcus January 1st, 2011 11:43 pm

All the files are 720p or 1080p and i have only 2mbit/s of upstream; my movies are stored an my linux box in a zfs filesystem and shared via afp (netatalk)…would afp/or smb access to my filer be ok to read the tags? i could give you credentials if you like :-)

20. Marcus January 1st, 2011 11:46 pm

PS: the finder also show the covers of movies that aren’t working with plex media server…
    while i added my library to the media server i got several python errors, too…

21. elan January 2nd, 2011 9:12 am

@Marcus: SMB or AFP would be fine, if they don’t work I’ll just download the entire file. Logs of the Python errors would be helpful as well.

22. Gustav January 3rd, 2011 8:58 am

I’ve been toying around with this for some days now and i get the playlist file, but the path in the file is a relative path without the host, so I can’t just add the playlist and play. And the playlist the first playlist points to contains a list of all the chunks to the file, but they are also in relative path. Is there a way to make the playlist include the host or do I have to read the playlist myself and get all the urls?

Hope you understand what i mean :P

23. elan January 3rd, 2011 10:49 am

@Gustav, I do understand what you mean, but I’m not sure where you’re trying to play it :) It’s legal to have relative URLs in the variant playlist, as well as in the playlist in HTTP Live Streaming.

24. Gustav January 3rd, 2011 2:12 pm

I was thinking it might be possible to watch it in vlc, itunes or some other player? Haven’t worked much with video. I probably should read more about this :)

25. AeroJack January 4th, 2011 4:11 pm

Any thoughts on why no audio with a transcoded video? Have been working on getting transcoded video to play in Safari and have gotten to the point where the video starts playing but there is no sound.

I get sound on the same clip viewed on my iPod Touch via Klexi

Missing option?

26. elan January 4th, 2011 4:14 pm

@AeroJack: it should work, not sure why it wouldn’t. I assume you’re playing a video out of your library?

27. AeroJack January 4th, 2011 6:46 pm

No, it was actually a clip from one of the video plug-ins.

28. elan January 4th, 2011 7:18 pm

@AeroJack: Try something from out of the library. What plug-in?

29. BigMike January 5th, 2011 10:45 am

elan-
    I saw the lg ces demo today, media link powered by plex looks nice. Do you have any info on pricing for the media link addon box? Will that run high bitrate 1080p mkv’s without stutter?
    -mike

30. solarplexius January 11th, 2011 5:39 am

Any news about the progress of PLEX? Seems to be very quiet from you guys…

31. elan January 11th, 2011 10:07 am

@solarplexius: Only because we’ve been coding so hard :)

32. ube January 11th, 2011 1:04 pm

Any news on the Plex Media Scanner -d switch? I would really love to have it in place to get auto updating library when something is added on my linux box..

33. fluke435 January 11th, 2011 4:12 pm

Hey guys, loving Plex 9! Thank you so much for all the hard work! I’ve noticed in the last few incrementals, though, that there are problems playing mkv files. Right around commercial breaks the video will suddenly start speeding up for 5-15 seconds, while the audio plays normally. Really problematic when it happens at the end of episodes and cuts out important scenes. I’m a loyal Plex fan and continue to use it for SD content, but for the time being I have found HD shows unwatchable. Hope to see a fix soon so I can return to Plex full time. Thanks again!

Edit: before posting this comment, I spotted this forum topic about it. http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/20691-video-speeds-up-and-audio-pauses-at-time-of-audio-format-change-during-hd-tv-shows-mkv/
    Not trying to spam you with angry requests for a fix, just want to make sure it’s on your radar.

34. fhb January 18th, 2011 12:44 pm

Plex is great but I want to know if this issue is worked on:
    The UI does not work as smoothly as I’d like it to. E.g. The RSS feed displayed on the main menu is not completely fluent and there are also issues with fanarts or posters sliding into view (probably due to non-existance of precaching). This is not skin dependent and occurs in Mediastream as well as in Refocus.

Are there any plans to work on this?
    I have got the Intel Core 2 Duo 2,26Gz 2Gb Nvidia 9400 Mac Mini.
    Thanks.

35. ronan February 2nd, 2011 1:30 am

HI,
    I’m currently working on a html client for PMS, but i g-have some trouble to understand (sorry) how works the javascript sample. I’ve tried by my own, but i always get this error: “Client ‘Public Dev Key’ access code is incorrect”.
    Should the timestamp exactly fit the request time? Or i miss something?

36. ronan February 2nd, 2011 2:30 am

ok, sorry for the post, i found that whitout the @timestampit works…