Mo' Betta Metadata Editing - Plex Blog

Mo’ Betta Metadata Editing

| 02 Dec 2010 | by 75 Comments

You can download this latest incremental right here.

So a mere six days after at least some of us stuffed ourselves silly with turkey, and indeed perhaps invigorated from all those calories, we’re back with another incremental release. Shiny new features! Many bugs crushed! New levels, pigs, and a new bird! (Whoops, wrong program.) Seriously though, I think James has slept about 5 hours in the last six days, and has entered an advanced state of mind meld with Cocoa.

So let’s get to the exciting part! Here is what’s new and shiny. (Note that this is another incremental, which means it’s a work in progress, and you should only download it if you want to be on the bleeding edge.)

• NEW: We’ve fleshed out the Plex Media Manager to allow browsing into seasons and episodes, albums and tracks. It’s here, it’s pretty, and finally you can do things you’ve wanted to do for ages like edit season thumbs. Please note, even though it’s functional, it’s not finished by any means, and things like selection states and keyboard navigation are missing.

Plex Media Manager-17.jpg

Plex Media Manager-21.jpg

Plex Media Manager-19.jpg

• NEW: Separate buttons for refreshing and agent settings.
  • NEW: Keyboard shortcuts for Edit Metadata, Refresh, and Fix Incorrect Match.
  • NEW: Typing letter scrolls to the first item which starts with that letter in the browser.
  • NEW: Show Media Manager when dock icon is clicked.
  • NEW: Include the WebManager.bundle in the package. This web-based media manager is really quite awesome. Built using the advanced Cappuccino framework by our one and only Brian D, it gives you a way to access and organize your media via any web browser (even on your iPad) and leaves you wondering “was that really a web app??” Try it yourself by hitting http://x.x.x.x:32400/manage – if you have an older version, delete the WebManager.bundle and let PMS refresh it for you on start (it’ll autoupdate shortly).

Plex Media Manager-18.jpg

We also fixed a large number of bugs:

• FIX: Delete collection instead section when clicking the [-] button (sorry!)
  • FIX: Only allow dropping onto same-section collections.
  • FIX: The Fix Incorrect Match button wasn’t working in the details view.
  • FIX: We remember selection and scroll location when navigating back.
  • FIX: Broken forward navigation, forward swiping in browse view.
  • FIX: Missing last character in path bar in media manager.
  • FIX: Plex Media Server issue which could result in hang or missing sections/plug-ins.
  • FIX: Long beachball adding/removing sections.
  • FIX: Rescan whacks collections, they weren’t locked correctly if you created them by dragging and dropping or context menu.
  • FIX: Abort on start with Aperture XML file with weird permission/location.
  • FIX: Don’t perform Bonjour resolves during video playback, fixes an every-ten-minute or so stutter.
  • FIX: Rare crash in Plex when left idle.
  • FIX: Continue scanning if we run into permissions issues.
  • FIX: Dock icon weirdness when disabling and attempting an immediate restart.
  • FIX: We’ve reverted the transcoder to use the older quality settings, which will reduce CPU usage.

You can download this latest incremental right here. Please let us know in this thread how it is working for you!

IMG_7239.jpg

1. Kevin Rose December 2nd, 2010 1:14 am

Wow, looks great! Thanks a lot!

2. Ing December 2nd, 2010 1:19 am

Cool!! downloading it now, thanks =)

3. Gustavo Michels December 2nd, 2010 1:33 am

Cool, thanks! Greatest new feature for me is remote library editing via web browser.

And most wanted feature not yet implemented is subtitles on iOS devices, but I’ll be patient :)

4. kabadisha December 2nd, 2010 1:45 am

Sweet. Plex is seriously the best thing since sliced bread.
    A big thanks to you guys for nailing bugs and adding new features so quickly. You ROCK!

5. pippo December 2nd, 2010 1:53 am

Hello, and thanks a lot. Moving from incremental 9.1.5 to incremental 9.1.7, do I need to lock the posters in the sql database, do avoid messing them up?

Last time this didn’t work for me, is there a sqlite3 command to save the changes? Eg, .quit rather than .exit?

6. Matthew December 2nd, 2010 1:55 am

Editing episodes and seasons is awesome. Thanks! :D
    One problem: For shows with a lot of seasons, there doesn’t seem to be any way to scroll the season bar along to get to later ones?

7. audix December 2nd, 2010 2:05 am

It just keeps coming from you guys.

Thanks again for this brilliant update :)

8. Tim Savage December 2nd, 2010 2:16 am

Looks great. The team just keep churning out new releases and features!!

Thanks. Going to download this tonight.

9. DeanDMX December 2nd, 2010 2:39 am

With the WebManager i’m guessing you can only manage your content and not stream it? If you can I can’t see how to do it and if you can’t it would be cool if you could!

10. DRH December 2nd, 2010 2:39 am

Hehe, just noticed the tweet, an hour ago. dloading……

11. jeffo December 2nd, 2010 2:39 am

Excellent! I can now access the media manager on my Mac Mini from my iMac. Only had this product for a few weeks, but absolutely love it, thank you so much everybody.

12. DRH December 2nd, 2010 2:43 am

Oh, by the way, I got all my material sorted genre & collection wise with the last incremental, but I had to do it twice. If you set all your collection’s directly from the right click menu, they never got locked automatically, so a re-scan reset all the settings. I had to go through and do them all again, this time from the “edit metadata” screen where it does default to locking them :-(

13. Lundmark December 2nd, 2010 2:50 am

I can access the web app from within my network, but over 3G I get “401 unauthorized”. 32400 is forwarded correctly and both loopback and my DNS works from within the network, but I want to use it away from home. Any ideas?

14. Mitch969 December 2nd, 2010 3:22 am

Great !

Wish for next incremental :

- Ability to lock/unlock and edit a field of a section or a field of a multiple selection.
    - Add a watch/unwatch status in the metadata editor.

15. xain09 December 2nd, 2010 4:03 am

And all that for free. Thanx :)

16. Radar December 2nd, 2010 4:06 am

Love the web manager, thanks guys.

17. gmh December 2nd, 2010 4:09 am

Thanks so much! You guys are great! I can’t wait to be able to edit metadata for TV shows.

18. james December 2nd, 2010 4:11 am

@gmh: I’m confused – TV show metadata editing is one of the main features this build introduces :)

19. Matt December 2nd, 2010 4:11 am

Another great update! Web media manager looks great! Keep up the good work!

20. gmh December 2nd, 2010 4:14 am

@james I meant I can’t wait to get started editing metadata now that the feature is included.

21. james December 2nd, 2010 4:19 am

@gmh: Ah, understood!

22. Matt December 2nd, 2010 4:35 am

Anyone having trouble getting metadata that shows up on tvdb to update in PMS?

23. Gary December 2nd, 2010 4:35 am

@Lundmark: Need some more information. Since you are over 3g are you just putting in the IP for your computer in your network? Or do you have the global (?) IP and have port forwarding set up through your router? It might be worth starting a forum thread.

24. Darby December 2nd, 2010 4:56 am

Groovy!

25. Lundmark December 2nd, 2010 5:07 am

@Gary. I am using my public IP plus port 32400, which is forwarded to the server running PMS. The Plex iPad app can connect properly to stream movies. It’s just the web UI that doesn’t work.

26. fhb December 2nd, 2010 5:47 am

mhm the max number of displayed seasons seams to be 5. Great to see all these little steps to v 1.0 :)

27. osplo December 2nd, 2010 7:48 am

still cannot set thumbnails and fanart manually?

thanks elan!

28. pippo December 2nd, 2010 8:53 am

@Elan: Installing the new incremental has removed all my sorting fields and all my collections. We need precise instructions about how to avoid this, pls! I had just finished with my library after installing 9.1.5…

29. fanclerks December 2nd, 2010 9:15 am

@Lundmark

I’m assuming you have the security feature enabled that requires a password when accessing PMS remotely. You’ll need to disable this to gain access to the web management console remotely.

30. Jon December 2nd, 2010 9:24 am

Great!

but … picture library, pleeeeeaaaase :-)

31. wally007 December 2nd, 2010 9:28 am

WebManager does not show Seasons/Episodes … is that known limitation of this version or am I missing something ? Also I cant find “sort by” anywhere.

32. Matt December 2nd, 2010 9:40 am

ELAN! Fix the forums/chat!! :)

33. Fraser December 2nd, 2010 10:03 am

Elan, just wondering if this incremental has the ability to read local metadata tagged with MetaX (I sent some files over after the last incremental for you to have a look at).

34. DrDan December 2nd, 2010 10:29 am

Brilliant work guys! Cant believe the pace you’re setting – keep it up!

No. 1 request from me is metadata editing of multiple selections (so I can set the genre of 100′s of cartoon shorts at once, for example).

35. mike December 2nd, 2010 10:34 am

Elan, what thread are you refering to? Link missing? Thanks for the latest incrementals. They both added options I needed critically since 9.0

36. Oncleben31 December 2nd, 2010 12:14 pm

You Rock !

37. Batmac December 2nd, 2010 3:17 pm

do you guys aver SLEEP?
    Thanks a bunch from all of us at the “home that uses and loves Plex”

38. GiraffeNinja December 2nd, 2010 4:42 pm

Anyone else having major issue with this incremental?

I start PMS… Restart Plex client on the remote machine. All movies and TV Shows are there.

As soon as I play one it works for about 10 seconds, then the video freezes and the audio continues. If I tell it to stop it can no longer see the shares and the PMS needs to have the process killed in Activity Monitor.

39. wintrscape December 3rd, 2010 4:54 am

Fantastic! Just keeps getting betta and betta!

40. Gus December 3rd, 2010 7:11 am

Love the new release and the possibility to edit meta data.

I have one problem though. I am trying to edit some albums . The problem is that when I go into the Media Manager and choose Music section and then Artist I can’t edit all albums sin I can’t scroll the window to the right. For instance The Beatles contains 12 Albums but only the first are available to edit through the thumbnails. The remaining albums are “hidden to the right”.

Or am missing something?

41. Fernando Nogueira December 3rd, 2010 8:34 am

First of all Thanks’ guys, nice piece of software and for free. Love this update.
    Could it be possible to lock the poster, I love the ones I have chosen, but some times they change? This would be nice. Thanks again, keep the hard work going

42. Erik December 3rd, 2010 8:52 am

I am having a couple of problems with the last 2 incrementals

Media server start to update library and gets about 75% before it crashes:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000b00bd000
    Crashed Thread: 1

Any ideas how to fix this? I have the full crashreport saved if that might help any. It would be nice not to have to rebuild my whole library when this gets released..

Great work though!

Cheers
    Erik

43. elan December 3rd, 2010 10:04 am

@Erik: We need a full crash report and logs to be able to diagnose, please. It’s just upgrading your database, not rebuilding the entire library, but I’d like to get my hands on those logs.

44. Terry G December 3rd, 2010 11:07 am

Looking forward to this update to an already great app.

One item under “would be nice” is the ability to edit the metadata for multiple items at once. For instance, I went through our movies to make sure all of the kid’s movies had a consistent genre. It was great to be able to do this with the last incremental. It would have meen much more efficient if I could select multiple items at once.

Again, great work. Keep it up!

45. Wolfster December 3rd, 2010 11:27 am

Rock&Roll Baby!!!

Again you guys implemented a feature I didn´t need but love to have. Remote mamaging for the PMS is awesome. Used to do it with screen sharing on my MacBook but now it´s even better than I could imagine,

Thank you Big Time!!

46. Jason Anderson December 3rd, 2010 12:04 pm

Wow, these last two updates have fixed just about every remaining problem I had with Plex. Thank you guys sooooo much! Finally! I can sort my movies by sequel and group the weirdly named ones together! Thank you!!

47. Viktor December 3rd, 2010 12:37 pm

Thank you very much for your hard work :D

48. Koxi December 4th, 2010 2:02 am

Great update, but I have a request for the database. For I have a lot of movies in dual language ( e.g. German + englsh, Japanese + English) and some single language movies ( German or English ), I would like to have a possibility to edit the supported languages. I’ve some friends who don’t understand English well, and at the moment I don’t know what language the movie is until I start it.
    Automatically scanning would be a plus, but not necessarily mandatory :)

49. Ameir December 4th, 2010 5:56 am

This is awesome, the only thing I can suggest is the ability to create new episodes in a season. There are cases in which the tvdb classifies two episodes as one because thats how it aired, but in the bluray they come as two different episodes.

50. Norma December 4th, 2010 2:16 pm

Nice improvements! But I still *REALLY* miss some simple next/previous buttons in the media managers when i double click a movie etc. …..

51. Sam December 4th, 2010 8:45 pm

Any progress on the Plex Media Server Linux port? I accidentally told my daughter to update her iPodTouch with the new IOS 4.2 and she ended up updating her hackintosh OS thereby bricking it. It had the Plex server running on it, I guess it’s time to get her another real Mac and just save the hackintoshing for my own workstation. :-)

52. Jacob December 5th, 2010 4:40 am

When can we expect a stable release with all the new features and bug fixes?

53. BigMike December 5th, 2010 1:58 pm

Elan-
    One of the ways I make sure of a match in TV Episodes if I am unsure is to open the path in the finder, showing me the folder name so I can be sure. Since you cannot do that obviously in the webviewer, would it be possible to popup the path or just the folder name at least when you hover over the tile, or at least display it on a right-click? Thanks!

54. Ed December 5th, 2010 3:17 pm

Elan,
    These past two updates are amazing! Thanks for all the hard work.
    The only thing that I can think of that is still missing from Plex8 is DVD order for TV Shows. Any chance of this making it back in? I would be awesome if you could select it on a show by show basis as well.
    Thanks again!

55. BigMike December 5th, 2010 3:41 pm

Ludmark-
    Are you forwarding both TCP and UDP?

56. Drew Jensen December 5th, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey Elan, I don’t know exactly where I’m suppose to place bugs, but I’ve posted this 3 times in the forums and no body has responded. I just wanted to let you know there is a bug that when in plex client, if volume is muted before starting, and then you select a video to play, if you try to unmute, no audio will be there. You then need to exit the video, then make sure audio works, scroll up and down, then start the video again and there is audio. So to get to the point. Un-muting after you’ve started a video doesn’t work. You need to exit the video, then restart the video. I’ve been able to do this every single time. Hope this helps.

57. Gary December 7th, 2010 5:58 am

Trying it out now. thanx.

58. Kenji December 9th, 2010 6:05 am

What’s missing now:

1. The ability to lock also the movie poster (it bugs me that a library update may change/overwrite my selected movie poster).

2. A drag ’n drop option for manually adding movie posters (e.g. direct dragging from the Safari/FireFox).

3. Metadata information must be file path proof, so if the movie file gets moved, the metadata persits. It drives me crazy that whenever I switch to a new, bigger external harddisk or move movie files from the internal to external HD, I have to start over matching movies with titles and editing the metadata.

59. Seim December 9th, 2010 6:50 am

Works perfectly !!

60. elan December 9th, 2010 8:36 am

@Kenji, (1) if you change a movie poster/art, it will be locked. If you’re finding otherwise, please explain how to reproduce. (3) This should work fine as well; again, if you’re running into an issue, please explain how to reproduce. If I move a file and rescan, it picks up the move just fine.

61. juliani512 December 9th, 2010 1:27 pm

The WebManager does not appear to want to show collections. I see all of my main sections but not the collections within them. Is it just me?!?

62. Kenji December 9th, 2010 3:03 pm

@elan: I’ve posted a detailed description of the said problems (1) and (3) in the forums:

63. max December 10th, 2010 12:26 am

Thank you very much for this great improvement.

I have, however, experienced a sad bug today… when I started up the Plex Frontend, it was showing only a small portion of my TV shows. The media manager was not showing any scanning activity, so I manually hit the update button. That way, it found all other shows again.

But the sad part is that it lost all corrections that I made, for example “Ranma 1/2″ is identified as “Rifftrax” again, “V” is “V” from 1983, and it lost the sort titles I have created for some other shows.

Is there any way to prevent such behaviour from happening in the future?

Thanks again, max.

64. Paul December 11th, 2010 12:22 pm

The manager has improved and it is stable. Keep it up!

Where is the menu in order to embed a folder? I want to hook up a separate folder. Not the manager.

65. Mikkel December 11th, 2010 3:31 pm

Great! Now just two fixes from .8 left: let me get rid of the all shows/unwatched/recently aired/etc. page (I have almost 1 TB of media and I still don’t need that) and BRING BACK THE GORRAM DVD ORDER! Firefly was not meant to be watched in the order in which it was aired.

Otherwise, I’m loving .9. I love the client/server interface, especially now that there are iPhone and Apple TV apps!

66. Majid December 11th, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi elan just wanted to make a suggestion…
    Is it possible to add universal search that works on the lines of spotlight with top hits categorised as per artists titles and directors etc… Within the plex player..
    Why I am asking is that don’t u think it will be awesome when we start plex to this home page running fan art and just the search box on it with an option to browse manually and just two buttons along with it like recently added and favourites… What do u say I know it’s a skin functionality but I think the universal search function will be required?

67. Ingwar77 December 11th, 2010 11:01 pm

All metadata corrections and movie posters/backgrounds are lost.
    It’s really too bad for Plex.

68. MikeDK December 11th, 2010 11:25 pm

Thank you for the new 0.9.1.9 version. I just got some generally comments and one specific for this update.

It would be great if Plex get a feature where different incrementals/update level was supported for automatically installation – Like Ubuntu. Here you get the possibility to select different level of incrementals/updates you want automatically installed.

I still have two annoying problems back, before my wife and kids are able to use Plex:-)

1) I’m running Plex on my Mac Mini from where I’m watching TV (EyeTV) in my living room. When I want to start plex via the small Mac remote controll I just press Menu button twice and plex starting. But unfortunately Front Row start up as well, and then I have to press the ESC button to quit the Front Row. Is there another easy way to start plex from the Mac remote controll, and not having Front Row to ruin it all ?

2) I got all my movies and musics on my NAS server. If the MAC Mini hasn’t been using the NAS server for a while, and I starting Plex, – Plex is not able to open any movie or Music file!!! Then I have to quit plex – open Finder – press the network ikon – press the media folder – press the videos folder and then I can quit Finder. Now I can start Plex again, and plex can now open all the movies or music files ? Note with Plex 8.x this was not necessary.

Plex Media Center:
    Music:
    I like the library section, but I found some few problems:
    1) If I got a Folder (Album) with difference hits of 2010 with difference artist, the Plex Media Manager will not make a cover for this 2010hits album, bacause there are difference artist ?? Now in Plex 0.9.1.9 I’m not able to add new music sections any more, probably because there are folders containing difference artist ?
    2) It would be nice, if the metadata agent can’t find a cover, then it will use the cover located in the folder as “folder.jpg” or “cover.jpg” of the album. Or if you got the possibility to over rule the metadata agent and always use the cover located in the folder. Sometime I get some quite funny pictures – For a Madonna album the Metadata agent select a picture of Madonna washing up :-O
    3) Would it be able just showing the albums as the folder name and just showing the album cover from the “folder.jpg” file located in the album folder ?

Regards Mikael Denmark

69. aldwin December 11th, 2010 11:45 pm

Congrats for the update, but unfortunately I think I’m one of the lucky ones who might have stumbled upon a bug. I’ve installed the latest 0.9.1.9, I can’t seem to access my library sections on the Plex client app on the computer where the PM server is also running. What’s more weird is that the sections appear on a separate machine on the same network. Anything I missed? or can do to fix this?

tnx

70. Aman December 12th, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi. I’m a novice user so it’s probably a stupid question. But I only get the new Media Server when Plex itself is running. When I run Media Server independent of Plex, it is the same old one. Is that how it’s supposed to be or is it a bug?

Thanks.

71. Oscar Rines December 18th, 2010 11:49 pm

Whic skin is this, in the snapshots?

72. miro December 24th, 2010 9:56 am

I was wondering if you could help me figure something out – it seems like every now and then Plex just decides to change my posters and fanart, it undoes a lot of time I spend picking the right ones. The other thing I noticed, is that I have all my movies in the “Movies” library, and my favorite movies also in my “Collection” library. Things in “Collection” are also in “Movies”. My problem is that when I switch fanart and posters for a movie in one library, it doesn’t change it in the other – so if I change it in “Movies” it doesn’t change in “Collection”. This doubles the work of changing things, and I think most people want the same data for their movies that appear in all collections.

73. redbear December 27th, 2010 9:27 am

+1 for BigMike’s thought:
    “popup the path or just the folder name at least when you hover over the tile, or at least display it on a right-click? Thanks!”

Thanks!!

74. Slann February 16th, 2011 2:09 pm

I’ve been using Plex for the last couple of weeks and it is simply amazing! I’m running it on a HTPC/Hackintosh. I also tried out XBMC “Dharma” and although it is also great I prefered Plex because of its media manager, which is very easy to use (important if you have a non-tech-savy girlfriend who also wants to add media). The Iphone app makes it the perfect Media app for someone using OS X!!!

Thank you guys!

75. Slann February 16th, 2011 2:14 pm

@Oscar Rines:

It’s actually snapshots from the media manager, not the Plex-app itself, as far as I can tell.