Plex Media Server ever-hotter-fix (2010-09-26) - Plex Blog

Plex Media Server ever-hotter-fix (2010-09-26)

| 26 Sep 2010 | by 57 Comments

I like these hot-fixes few for a different reasons; first and foremost, it’s an easy way for us to get new code into your hands in the quickest possible way. Second of all, it’s a great way to get feedback from you before we roll another official release, which will offer itself via auto-update.

So if you’re feeling brave, take them for a spin, and if you’re not, please wait for the official release. One comment we received was something along the lines of “Please don’t make hot-fix releases, just make official releases” and I think that’s missing the point a bit. It’s not an either/or sort of thing, and by all means, if you want to wait for the auto-update via Sparkle, please do so.

But if you live on the edge, regularly swim with sharks, or fly to Pamplona for the running of the bulls, try the latest hotter-fix release here. It fixes the following issues:

• FIX: Occasional crash on start.
  • FIX: Issue with TV/Movie search/updates hanging.
  • FIX: A rare issue where the server would get stuck exiting, and required a reboot (which seems like an OS X issue).
  • FIX: GUI weirdness using the new asynchronous “fix match” dialog.

As with the last one, drop the new application into ~/Library/Application Support/Plex and replace the existing one. Look at the string after the version number to make sure you’re running the latest code, and let us know how it works for you! As long as this version doesn’t have any more regressions, we’ll roll it into an official release shortly.

Fullscreen-1.jpg

1. ooze September 26th, 2010 1:06 pm

Wow, another one. I have some issues with the last release, but maybe the reasen is that themoviedb is overloaded. Anyway, I’ll try this out. Thanks!

2. Hilbe September 26th, 2010 1:09 pm

Can you make PMS a separate Sparkle updater and download? It’d also be cool if you had a “hot-fix” option or “beta” option in auto-update, for those of us who like to live on the edge. Adium provides this sort of functionality.

3. elan September 26th, 2010 1:12 pm

@Hilbe: We’ve discussed that, and will likely move to something like that in the future. For now, let’s just all be happy that there are fixes to be had and it’s a simple drag to install :)

4. ooze September 26th, 2010 1:32 pm

Just want to say that the mentioned problems are gone now! Thanks again, great work!

5. Arsenal September 26th, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for the hotfixes, and i have to agree the update process couldn’t be much easier (though an updated version number might be easier to follow than random hash keys). One thing though, since installing the hotfix on the 24th i have lost all menu items other than Music, TV Shows, Video Apps, Movies, and it seems to be consistent – no amount of PMS restarts, reboots or even rolling the PMS version back has changed this. I’ve just installed today’s hotfix and it’s still the same. Are you aware of anything that might cause this?

6. elan September 26th, 2010 1:47 pm

@Arsenal, If you’re displaying TV Shows and Movies that’s either Plex/Eight, or it’s actually displaying library sections from your Plex Media Server. Could it be a skinning issue? (e.g. are you missing Preferences?)

7. Arsenal September 26th, 2010 2:04 pm

@elan I had thought it might be a skinning issue (i am using Aeon) due to the persistence of the issue, however i can’t see any evidence of others having issues in the Aeon/Skins forums and without a Preferences option in Plex i am unsure how i go about changing back to the default skin? I did try removing Aeon from Preen but that doesn’t seem to have any effect.

8. elan September 26th, 2010 2:07 pm

@Arsenal, can you browse into those Movie/TV sections? I have heard of some issues with other skins.

9. Thomas September 26th, 2010 2:15 pm

Please please please put hide watched back very soon

10. Arsenal September 26th, 2010 2:21 pm

@elan, yes, browsing into the four sections i have works as expected, so in fact i am still happily using Plex just fine for the most part. It was only the inability to get to the itunes plugin that made me notice the issue.

11. elan September 26th, 2010 2:24 pm

@Arsenal: That’s quite odd. I would try hitting http://localhost:32400/music/ and see if you see plug-ins in there, including iTunes (view source in Safari).

12. bdumes September 26th, 2010 2:44 pm

This hot fix helped me on some search hanging issues! So far, no regressions noticed.

Thanks a lot!

13. dev September 26th, 2010 2:44 pm

well , you kinda ignore my messages but i dunno where to post elsewhere.
    are you working on cover art loading? it reaaaaaly slow. in plex 8 it was fine (covers always where there), now on imac and mac mini it’s really slow.

14. elan September 26th, 2010 2:51 pm

@dev: Don’t mean to ignore your messages, but it’s sometimes hard to answer *every* single comment, email, IM, PM, and tweet :)

The reason why it’s slow is because the Plex Media Server downloads thumbnails where possible, and the clients (e.g. Plex for Mac) download the large copies, resize them, and cache them.

However, this should only be slow the first time through (assuming you don’t change or rescan). Let Plex sit there in All Movies and let it download everything, and it should be fast after that! (If you change a poster in the Media Manager, Plex will have to re-download.)

15. dev September 26th, 2010 2:58 pm

@elan
    well the problem is that it’s slow every single time.even if i don’t change anything :/
    it takes about 2-3 seconds for every cover to load. so when i go to all movies – it’s full of grey plex icons and it’s loading 1 after another… but, as i said, it’s kinda slow :/

16. elan September 26th, 2010 3:09 pm

@dev, that sounds like a bug. I just went into a section I have with 25 movies, and let it finish loading posters and art inside Plex. Then I restarted Plex, went back in, and it all showed up instantly this time, as I would expect. Please open up a forum thread, enable debug logging in Plex, set up a similar scenario for yourself, and then post Plex.log for the first and second time visiting that section.

17. Arsenal September 26th, 2010 3:38 pm

elan: Thanks for your help, in the source at http://localhost:32400/music/ i see:

which i assume is normal, and would indicate it is a coincidental skinning issue with Aeon? If so i’ll take my plight over to the forum there and see if someone can help.

Thanks again.

18. Arsenal September 26th, 2010 3:40 pm

Oops, guess the form doesn’t like xml tags, i’ll crop it to:

Directory key=”iTunes” title=”iTunes” thumb=”/:/resources/itunes-icon.png” art=”/:/resources/itunes-fanart.jpg” share=”1″ identifier=”com.plexapp.plugins.itunes”

19. elan September 26th, 2010 3:46 pm

@Arsenal: I would concur with your conclusion :)

20. Arsenal September 26th, 2010 4:04 pm

FYI, i’m an idiot, and this will teach me to not read through the whole thread just because the skin worked perfectly off the bat: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?/topic/15711-plexaeon-skin-for-plex-9-bug-reports-and-ask-for-help/page__view__findpost__p__94517

Sorry for the trouble elan.

21. Jason September 26th, 2010 6:07 pm

installed the hot fix and did a rescan, beachball of death won’t stop taunting me!

i’m going to let it sit for a while to see if it will fix itself, if not i’ll roll back to the previous version. i hope this will fix the issues so i can enjoy my library again :(

22. elan September 26th, 2010 6:52 pm

@Jason, if you’re familiar with Terminal and have XCode installed, let me know.

23. Jason September 26th, 2010 7:11 pm

i am and i do… (to be continued?)

24. LCJK September 26th, 2010 7:59 pm

@arsenal – i had this problem, but when i pushed the down arrow when one of the menu items (like movies or tv shows or something) was selected the other menu items came back for me.

25. Duy September 26th, 2010 8:04 pm

@elan: I too am experiencing the same problem as dev though it doesn’t happen all the time. Sometimes, very occasionally the Plex client would take a very long time to open/download coverart/fanart even without any prior update.

26. Tom September 26th, 2010 8:11 pm

Allowing the All Movies section in Plex to sit and load all the images worked very well. They always load instantly now. This does not seem to work for TV Shows, though. Every time I switch between series the TV section default background is present for a few seconds before loading the series art. Does anyone else have this problem too?

27. mike September 26th, 2010 8:31 pm

What kind of version numbering are you using? This is somewhat untransparent. I’d vote for a clearing versioning. Or is there some hidden concept?

28. mike September 26th, 2010 8:38 pm

sry I mean: “clearer versioning”. And besides that, “Fix incorrect match” still hangs for my music section. Just tot let you know.

29. Mitch969 September 26th, 2010 9:03 pm

@elan

Any chance you could support Elgato Turbo H264 HD for the transcoding process ?

Not sure if it can work with ffmpeg or if it is only for quicktime encoding.

30. elan September 26th, 2010 10:24 pm

@mike: The hex code after the version links to a git SHA rev, so it’s possible for us to reproduce any build to the last 0 and 1 with it. I understand, it’s a bit annoying that it’s not monotonically increasing :)

31. bearnar September 27th, 2010 2:53 am

Elan;

When will the cd1-cd2-stacking issue get fixed (as you’ve probably seen threads on in the forum)? I can’t wait to use 0.9, but since I have so many movies with cd1/cd2, renaming is not a choice, and I’m still stuck with .8.5, where the scraping AND playback in right order works :(

Otherwise; I love Plex, and your work, thanks alot :)

32. Jason September 27th, 2010 6:36 am

So do I just install this one? Or both that were posted? Not sure how the hot fixes work.

33. Sj√∂strand September 27th, 2010 9:25 am

@elan, Thanx for the great work you guys put in. Plex is by far the greatest media solution for Mac right now.
    The only thing missing for me right now is editable titles, but from what i read thats just a matter i time.

And please do continue with hot-patches, for us early adopters it’s great… for those who are complaining, just have some cheese to go with the whine ;)

34. Jason September 27th, 2010 9:44 am

I was able to fix my issue after some tinkering around, but I have to say that Elan was great. I have never before seen such a dedicated developer to his users. Much kudos! If only more software devs cared about their users like Elan’s team does about the plex user the world of computer software would be a much better place.

35. dev September 27th, 2010 10:47 am

@elan
    believe it or not, i applied all 2 fixes on both imac and mac mini, let it load all the cover once and now they are always there. i’m happy, thanks for help!

36. Adam September 28th, 2010 1:34 pm

@elan – Does the bit rate fix have any effect on the iPhoto viewing through the iOS app? Would be great if we could increase the quality of the photos.

37. elan September 28th, 2010 3:02 pm

@Adam, no, that’ll be addressed in the iOS update.

38. wally007 September 28th, 2010 4:46 pm

@elan , finally got around to installing “even-hotter-fix” but issue with RECENTLY ADDED episodes is still there. Its easily triggered, just let Plex scrape TV SHOW – S01E01.avi and then after it scrapes info and media info, replace it with TV SHOW – S01E01.mkv. You’ll see that it will disappear from RECENTLY ADDED list.

39. Molgaard September 29th, 2010 2:31 am

@Arsenal

I’ve had the exact same problem, that you are experiencing.

There are a couple of easy ways to fix it.

1. browse to your plex skin folder and delete the aeon folder and reinstall the latest version of the skin

2. Get Preen Skin Installer/Updater, make sure you checked Aeon and the hit “install/update” it should then update the selected skins and hopefully fix your problem. (worked for me anyways)

40. Peter September 29th, 2010 7:17 am

I have a few glaring issues that I can’t find solutions posted in the wiki on.
    1) USA, HULU & NBC apps play sound only no video. Cnet, Rev3 and Fox apps work fine. I think it must just be me – is there a way to reset video to default or any other ideas?
    2) Using IMDB and Amazon naming BATTLESTAR GALATICA THE MINISERIES (2003) will not display properly. . . OK, somebody else has to have resolved this by now! Is it because there is a colon in the name that you can’t use on a file name? if so what’s the solution?

41. elan September 29th, 2010 9:34 am

@Peter: The first issue is having Flash 10.1 installed. Sorry, at the moment Plex Media Server only supports Flash 10. As for the naming, we’re making a bunch of enhancements to TV show searching at the moment, but refer to thetvdb.com for their naming, which I think would be “Battlestar Galactica (2003)” where the miniseries is considered Season 0 episodes 1 and 2.

42. Peter September 29th, 2010 6:21 pm

Awesome, thanks for the fast spot on help!

43. Tanner September 30th, 2010 8:19 pm

This probably isn’t the place for this but even after this “Hotter Fix” update my itunes plugin is not showing up. I thought the hotfix was supposed to fix that. I have deleted plex.app and the plex and plex media server folders in the application support folder and reinstalled everything with the new hotter fix update. Is there a way to manually install the itunes plugin? Any ideas?

44. elan September 30th, 2010 8:32 pm

@Tanner: Have you tried the “sizzling” fix? Just kidding. Send me the Plex Media Server.log file after a start and let’s see if it’s reading your iTunes library, which should happen automagically without any installations or configuration.

45. Tanner October 1st, 2010 5:41 am

@elan
    Oops, nevermind. I do have the iTunes plugin. I didn’t have any music in my itunes library on my mac mini and I didn’t realize the plugin doesn’t show up unless you have stuff in your library. As soon as I put a couple of songs in the library the plugin showed up and worked great.

I feel stupid now, thanks for the quick response though. You guys are doing awesome work, keep it up. If you’re ever in the Seattle area drinks are one me :-)

46. Mike October 1st, 2010 8:30 am

hi @ all, after intalling this hotfix i have still the problem, the “TV Shows” and “Movies” are not in the Plex menue :(
    can anyone help me pls? thanks

47. Lionel October 1st, 2010 10:35 am

I’ve got some problems with the server, it just can’t start and seems to scan the library over and over again.

I can’t open the Preferences panel, so I’m kind of stucked.

Do you have any clue how to deal with this issue?

Cheers

48. Rafa October 1st, 2010 6:15 pm

Where is the weather?

49. elan October 1st, 2010 6:44 pm

@Rafa: Look our your window! If that doesn’t work, go to Preferences > Skin> Home and enable the weather option.

50. Jan October 1st, 2010 10:52 pm

Again, just thank you for all the great effort you arre doing just for free, now and the past years :-)

51. bertybassett October 6th, 2010 12:08 am

thanks lads this is amazing stuff.

52. Christian October 7th, 2010 4:55 am

This may not be the right place to say it, I wanna suggest something and can’t seem to find a place to do so.
    It’s great with the many options for listing your movies and TV shows, but ONE I really think is MISSING, is the option to list according to “un-seen” episodes, shows and movies.
    That would really make my day and I could scroll through ONLY material I haven’t seen yet.

Loving Plex and appreciate your efforts ;o)

53. Zarani Barrow October 11th, 2010 6:12 am

Now any movie I add to my db wont appear properly in the movie section. The title is correct but there is no poster or info about the movie. TV shows and music are fine.

54. Chris R October 14th, 2010 5:44 pm

Ever since installing this hotfix (just tonight) Plex/9 has become unusable; videos end up freezing, with video playback stopping while audio continues, and even pausing playback takes 10-15 seconds. I’m downgrading to the previous hotfix, which was more solid (although it would hang when updating the library so consistently that I had to disable automatic scans)

55. elan October 14th, 2010 6:22 pm

@Chris: There is a known issue with this hot-fix that can cause higher CPU usage during a library refresh. Otherwise, if you have them disabled, there have been no other reports of other such issues.

56. tungsten2k October 19th, 2010 5:59 am

Video plugins aren’t consistently showing up. Logs show:

00:27:26 T:2958217216 M:4449366016 WARNING: CUtil::GetMatchingSource… no matching source found for [Live Music Archive]

00:27:26 T:2961412096 M:4445863936 WARNING: CUtil::GetMatchingSource… no matching source found for [iPhoto]

Typically only “Add Source” and one movies source I manually added (hard path, before I figured out how the new media manager worked).

Quit/Relaunch sometimes fixes, sometimes a reboot is necessary, sometimes I just give up.

I’m sure this isn’t the right place to put this, and you likely would need much more info, so just know that there definitely exists this problem in case you’re looking at code that could possibly be related.

57. lee heung ki December 8th, 2010 4:33 am