Plex and the Future of Television - Plex Blog

Plex and the Future of Television

, | 02 Sep 2010 | by 212 Comments

This week has been a big one for TV-related announcements. Apple annouced their revamped Apple TV, and Boxee was quick to reply with their own thoughts on the matter. It turns out that now is the perfect time for us to explain our vision for the future of Plex and television as well.

Today, Plex requires that you have a Mac connected to your TV. As sexy as they are, a Mac Mini is $699. And let’s face it, you probably have a few televisions, so it becomes an expensive proposition to Plex-ify your house, especially now that you can stream your library all over with Plex/Nine. Of course, on the flip side, a Mac Mini is a powerful computer that can be used for other meaningful tasks like 3D modeling, genome sequencing, or World of Warcraft.

MacMini.png

Another approach is something like the Boxee Box. It’s $199, which is much better, but still prohibitive for many, and it’s completely specialized. No way you could send your kid off to college with a Boxee Box, although you have to admit, it would probably help his or her social life. Additionally, releasing a custom piece of hardware is not a trivial endeavor, if we even wanted to attempt such a thing. Embedded systems are hard, and the XBMC codebase from which Plex and Boxee are both derived is a large and complex one. And really, at the end of the day, do you want yet another specialized box sitting by your TV?

Boxee.png

Even if you get the design right, you have to be able to price it appropriately. With not outrageously different hardware from Boxee, the new Apple TV is half the price. Apple also has a two-fold advantage over Boxee: They are going to be selling their Apple TV in much higher volume (which means lower cost to produce), and – critically – they can subsidize the cost of the device because they make money every time you put your arm around your date and click “Watch” on a movie. Also, let’s face it, it’s a typical Apple product: it works perfectly as long as you don’t stray outside their ecosystem. Your files have to be in their limited range of supported formats, and you only get access to the online content they sanction. It’s not an open platform in any sense of the word, and trust me, I was the first person hoping to be able to run our Plex iOS app on it.

AppleTV.png

The optimal solution, of course, would be a box that was free, infinitely small, and required no cables. Well, we’re extremely proud to be able to introduce to you, for the first time, the Plex Box, with exactly those characteristics.

PlexBox.png

How is this possible? Well, we actually have one more “one more thing” to announce: We’re working with LG Electronics (the second largest TV manufacturer in the world) to integrate the Plex platform into their 2011 lineup of Netcast™ connected TVs and Blu-ray devices. So early next year, when you buy an LG Netcast™ TV or Blu-ray player, you will have Plex functionality built-in. Specifically, it will connect to a cloud version of the Plex platform for online content, and, if you happen to have a Plex Media Server running anywhere in your house (after all, who doesn’t have a computer in their house?), you can access your local and online content, in a rich interface, with full metadata. I’ve seen it, and it looks awesome.

I’ve been talking a lot about the importance of getting the architecture right for our platform, and this is a perfect example. Thin clients (LG TV, iOS devices), a smart media server, and plug-ins that can run in the cloud. A single integrated interface to access online content, local content, and personal content.

I can’t even begin to tell you how exciting this is to us. LG chose our platform in no small part because it is OPEN, and that is what makes it special. We have developers all over the world creating plug-ins, helping us evolve the platform, and using it creatively. We wouldn’t be here without them, and it’s been an absolute pleasure working with them over the years. I also have enormous respect for LG, who have great products, massively talented engineering, and forward-thinking management. I’ve been to Korea twice in the last year, and their engineers are super-smart, highly knowledgable, and a delight to work with. They “get” where TV is going, and I have to make a confession – the first time I saw their Plex interface, talking to a remote Plex Media Server and flawlessly streaming content, I had to pretend I had something in my eye. This is a team completely committed to revolutionizing the way we enjoy content, and clearly willing to take chances in doing so, as evidenced by working with a small team like ours.

This is also a massive win for content providers. Yesterday, writing a Plex plug-in would make their content available on a Mac, or a television powered by a Mac. Yesterday, they could suddenly make their content available on 100 million iOS devices. And tomorrow (early next year, technically), they will be able to get their content onto millions of LG TVs and Blu-ray devices. This, friends, is an unprecedented time in history. The distance between content provider and consumer has never been this close or frictionless, and it’s incredible to be a part of.

So what does this mean to you, our dear users? You’ve been so supportive over the years, and this is great news for you as well. It means, first and foremost, that we’ll be able to focus more resources on the development. This will be a full-time job for me and others on the team, which is – honestly – a dream come true. The Plex Media Server is the heart and lungs of the platform, and we’ll be making it rock solid and adding some really, really cool new features. We’ll be bringing it to more platforms, to make it available everywhere. There will be more content providers investing in writing Plex plug-ins, so your online content choices will grow. And next year, if you’re upgrading your TV, or or buying an LG Blu-ray player, you’ll have the ability to get Plex, built in, at no additional cost. Fully integrated into killer consumer electronics gear, exactly as it should be.

And *that* is cool.

It’s been a long journey this past year. Now you finally know all of the cool stuff we’ve been working on, and it’s so great to be able to share it with you. We’ve re-architected our platform for the future, and thankfully, most of that work is behind us. Now we can focus on making Plex more stable, more usable, and overall more AWESOME.

Here’s a link to the press release.

1. Tom Clarke September 2nd, 2010 11:08 pm

Whoa. That’s cool.

2. Boots September 2nd, 2010 11:10 pm

O. M. F. G. You guys are freaking me out! When can I purchase shares???????

3. QandnotU September 2nd, 2010 11:10 pm

Congratulations team, it’s well deserved and a brilliant partnership!

4. Ben September 2nd, 2010 11:11 pm

I’m lost for words. This is amazing. By the time I come to upgrade my TV, I’ll be able to choose one with Plex built in, and no need for another box next to it?! Keep a mac upstairs with a ton of content on it, then watch it throughout the house on TVs with absolutely no other macs needed… Someone pinch me.

5. shinratdr September 2nd, 2010 11:12 pm

> Plex for OS X is downloadable for free, with a Windows version to be available later this year.

I love how this is just tucked away in the press release like it’s no big deal. It’s been a long time coming, I’m getting sick of resorting to XBMC on my Win 7 PCs.

6. Steven Robbins September 2nd, 2010 11:14 pm

Two words. Holy. Crap. :-)

Might even make me buy an LG BR player next year. I’d be interested in hearing how the streaming will work, will it only be certain formats that work on the LG boxes, or will you be transcoding on the fly so it will play anything you happen to have on your Mac?

Any plans for a Windows Plex Media server too?

7. Will September 2nd, 2010 11:14 pm

I think my jaw just dropped off. LG might be getting more of my custom!

8. Rylin September 2nd, 2010 11:15 pm

Holy shit!
    You guys are on a roll!

Sadly, I probably won’t upgrade my TV next year (pretty happy with my Sony 52KDL-W4500, but if I were to upgrade, this’d make me spring for an LG.

Awesome, guys. Awesome.

9. Edward Smit September 2nd, 2010 11:15 pm

Elan, this is awesome news. It means that I can start with my Mac Mini in the living-room for now, and that I will be buying an LG Blue-Ray player next year and move the Mac Mini out of site.
    I truly hope other vendors will pick this up as well, and that in no-time there will be multiple Thin-Client devices available.

Congratulations on your new job :)

10. Roopesh September 2nd, 2010 11:15 pm

Woo hoo Congratulations Plex Team!! This is great newz for everyone. Everyone wins… but where’s the barkley pic?

11. Fredrik September 2nd, 2010 11:16 pm

Elan,

I’ve been following this project and your efforts from the first beginning. I congratulate you on the recent development and salute the accomplishment!

Looking forward to see where this next journey takes the project.

Fredrik, Sweden

12. MTI September 2nd, 2010 11:21 pm

Congratulations! That’s just awesome. You fully deserve it! :)

(For me, I just hope that you’ll keep the Mac client up to date, since I can’t see myself buying an LG TV set. Also, please do not rule out iOS clients for future app capable Apple TVs ;)

13. Nudgenudge September 2nd, 2010 11:22 pm

Nothing pleases me more than a “hobby” project becoming a full-time jobs for its devs.

Congrats to you, and to LG for this very nice feature. When I’ll need a Blu-ray player, I know what I’ll purchase.

14. Jonas Nordström September 2nd, 2010 11:22 pm

Cool! Im so happy for you guys!

15. astr0b0y September 2nd, 2010 11:22 pm

Man, thetvdb.com is really gunna take a hammering ;)
    I hope they read this so they are prepared.

16. Stephen Convery September 2nd, 2010 11:23 pm

Well done guys. I look forward to buying a new LG telly next year. Having Plex built in to the set will definitely affect my choice when I renew my TV.

17. JayBird September 2nd, 2010 11:28 pm

Awesome stuff, just hope the TVs are at a nice price point as i will be purchasing a new 50″ Plasma in the new year…was already looking at the LG stuff!

18. Maarten September 2nd, 2010 11:28 pm

Congratulations guys, you’ve deserved it! Really, really great news for you guys and probably even better (that means: really, really, really great) news for the community.

19. Pascal September 2nd, 2010 11:30 pm

Well, this is just amazing. How much have you yet to announce? It looks like every other day there is some even greater news from you guys!

And, seriously, you’ve nailed it. Nobody wants another box next to their TV. And most TVs already have enough computing power for playing streamed content.

A few things that came to my mind though: Is this partnership like, LG makes a media center interface for their stuff and it supports access to a Plex media server? Or is it like, the awesome Plex interface directly on my TV? And, does this also understand other protocols than Plex’s?

Oh and, last but not least: Will this finally enable me to get rid of that bloody TV remote and us a Apple Remote instead? ;)

20. DavidNC September 2nd, 2010 11:30 pm

Congratulations, Elan. This is really amazing news for you, Plex and all of us. The constant stream of news, updates and surprises this past week is more than any of us could have hoped for! -and bravo to LG for being so forward thinking.

21. David September 2nd, 2010 11:31 pm

But you’d still need to have a mac running with the plex server right? Or is plex going to be available for installing on a nas? (ohh wait i can move my soon to be redundant mac mini somewhere and just use remote management :-) )

22. Brandon September 2nd, 2010 11:31 pm

This is gonna be huge. Congrats, Plex team. I look forward to telling all my Windows-using friends who don’t want to buy a $700 HTPC that they can get some Plex love, too.

23. Penny September 2nd, 2010 11:35 pm

Congrats about the LG deal and recent Nine release.

Two suggestions to improve your kind-of-open Plex ecosystem:
    0) Write decent docs for developers (where is the REST-ful api? how to write a plugin?…) Existing documentation just sucks.
    1) Open source the Media Manager. I see the value on having closed-source Media Server. Not so much in closing also the Media Manager. If Media Manager is open, somebody can write a better version. For example, one that will allow movies, music and tv shows to be in the same directory, for users that download stuff from the Internet and doesn’t classify everything the minute it finish downloading. Most of us I guess.

And a question: how do you plan to attract and maintain 3rd party developers now that Plex will earn big bucks?

24. Pete September 2nd, 2010 11:37 pm

Congratulations Elan.
    Just don’t let those guys corrupt the vision!!
    So what’s next….Plex Server on Ubuntu would be handy for a cheap super-computer to transcode to multiple devices…..’cos I really dislike Windows……

25. Erik Tjernlund September 2nd, 2010 11:38 pm

Amazing! I literally had to check if today was April 1st. Congratulations!

26. Thierry September 2nd, 2010 11:42 pm

Was thinkin’ of buying a new LED next week.. but I think I’m bound to wait a little I guess.. Congratz man on the giant leap forward and that you guys can do the job you love to do.. It’s the best!

27. David September 2nd, 2010 11:48 pm

This is quite amazing.. Congratulations guys! Although, this really turns my Mac Mini/Plex/Backup plans upside down… Have to consider everything now!

28. Nudgenudge September 2nd, 2010 11:49 pm

Penny > I think that’s the purpose of the new Scanners/Metadata Agents: program them like a plug-in, use them in the Media Manager instead of the default ones. I tried to check how to extend the existing ones (I like fiddling), didn’t find how yet.

As for the documentation, yeah, much needed.

29. Jim September 2nd, 2010 11:51 pm

Does this mean that Plex has gone commercial and is now owned and developed by a company?

I mean the press announcement state “Cayce Ullman, CEO and co-founder, Plex” and “Elan Feingold, CTO and co-founder, Plex”.

This sound like Plex developered started a commercial company named “Plex” and are now officially selling your services under that name?

30. elan September 2nd, 2010 11:52 pm

Documentation will be forthcoming. Although, remember, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand!

31. elan September 2nd, 2010 11:58 pm

Yes, we have incorporated and are now officially a company. FTW!

32. Johan Andrén September 3rd, 2010 12:02 am

Tjat explains the rar function being dropped pretty much, the only sad thing is tjat you cant watch from a hdd connected to airport extreme or some ohter solution not involving any computer?

33. myminirocks September 3rd, 2010 12:02 am

Wow guys, seriously, I feel like a child I have know for ever has just been awarded the greatest achievement in their field. Elan I can only imagine how proud you are right now, along with all the other amazing devs. You guys totally deserve this, and can I say, LGE are truly an amazing company to deal with. I have had a very close relationship with them for years and years and they will be a fantastic partner.

BUT

Please don’t forget us once the deadlines start rolling in and the pressure to start ‘closing’ up the openness because if you can get Plex on every other device, where is the incentive/point of difference to buy it in an LGE device.

Don’t get your lunch money stolen from a big brother. Hold on to Plex for dear life it is your baby and you deserve to own it forever.

Congratulations!

34. Henry September 3rd, 2010 12:04 am

Congrats guys, wel done indeed! I can imagine a dream come true. Keep up the good work, it pays off in the end ;)

35. Lifely September 3rd, 2010 12:06 am

This is FREAKING AWESOMEEEEEEEE I JUST START LOVING You even more than ever !

This is going to become EPIC !

hope to see some new great feature soon !

THANKS, THANKS THanks !

36. elan September 3rd, 2010 12:09 am

@myminirocks: thanks for the kind words, and I’m pretty damn sure your mini indeed rocks hard. LGE is working with us precisely because it is an open platform, and they see that as a competitive advantage. They really dig the ecosystem, the community, etc. Pretty awesome, huh?

37. Henrik September 3rd, 2010 12:25 am

Congratulations Elan and the rest of the Plex team! Good news just keep coming! You guys really have an exciting future, and so do we users with more and more Plex wizardry to look forward to! :)

38. rustla September 3rd, 2010 12:37 am

Congratulations, everyone that I’ve shown Plex has been incredibly impressed, and that was only Plex8. I’m sure Barkley will be getting quite rotund in the very near future :P

39. Architexture September 3rd, 2010 12:38 am

This is such BADASS NEWS I am so excited to have plex server stream from my computers
    I do have a few questions
    1. Like other newer tv’s will these have wifi?
    2. Are you signing an exclusive contract with LG
    3. Since you are now paid freeware (company pays consumer gets content free) and connected to major electrics co.s do you feel that you could leverage different site to work more closely with developers to make a very consistent set of plugins (ie, they provide special connectivity to their site and developers don’t have to get around their site with so much hey coding

You guys are amazing I have been a tech support agent for 13 years and I recommend plex to everybody : coworkers, friends clients . You have brought so many documentaries unbiased news sciene and pulp to my friends and I THANK YOU!

40. andymck September 3rd, 2010 12:40 am

ah well, just bought a samsung 50″ 3dtv. look like plex is now being downgraded to the computer room!!!. Would have been nice to see a samsung widget but I would imagine the tie in with LG would kybosh that one. Hard to say but bye bye Plex

41. elan September 3rd, 2010 12:50 am

@Architexture:

1) Not sure.
    2) No
    3) Yes.

Thanks for the kind words!

42. Jon September 3rd, 2010 12:50 am

Congratulations this is awsome and really good for all of us.

Will this mean that Plex wont get PVR support include???

Good luck with your new future

/Jon

43. matt September 3rd, 2010 12:52 am

will you be going public anytime soon? IPO offering?
    you guys are really frikin amazing and I would love to make a substantial investment. let me know please.

44. El Massman September 3rd, 2010 12:56 am

What the… ?! Just as I thought I was getting on the other side of all the secret keeping, lol. You managed to keep that one quiet Elan! That’s awesome news! Congratulations!!

45. matthias September 3rd, 2010 12:56 am

What about the rights on the existing plugins? Do the authors left all rights to plex? Just wondering about the legal side of _selling_ them.

46. stef September 3rd, 2010 1:03 am

Am I the only one being a bit concerned about this? Don’t get me wrong, this is great for the team. Plex is awesome. But will this move be great for me (aka the user) in the long-run?

Will you still support Plex on Mac later in case one won’t get an LG TV?

Still, congrats to the team. This is a sign that you built something great.

47. pv_bain September 3rd, 2010 1:03 am

incredible the summer was long but this is just great

48. Rabs September 3rd, 2010 1:12 am

I just bought a 42″ LG LCD TV with Netcast. Do you know if Netcast will be updated to include Plex? Or will it only be installed on new TVs?

Thanks! (And congrats on Nine – it’s awesome)

49. elan September 3rd, 2010 1:17 am

@matthias: Nobody is selling the plug-ins. They are using our framework and technology to bring content from providers to consumers.

@stef: Of course we’re still going to support our existing users, only with more resources than we had before. My full-time job is now Plex, and that’s pretty cool in my book.

50. Andrew September 3rd, 2010 1:19 am

Hmmm… I’m in a little bit of a pickle here. Will you still be supporting the open source community here? I mean, that’s where all of this glory stemmed from.

I understand you’re making a fantastic program, but the last thing I want is vendor lockdown. If my MacMini dies and I can’t afford to replace it with a Mac, I’d build a MediaCenter and run linux. XBMC/Boxee would be my only option.

Will your media server software run on other vendors/operating systems? Will the client be available for different operating systems?

I just don’t see a full roadmap here, and hope you aren’t being short sighted. There are many other open source media applications that will do the job, but the difference is that they run on open source operating systems too..

51. Bram September 3rd, 2010 1:25 am

Where do I buy Plex stock?

52. zn8ke September 3rd, 2010 1:26 am

Does this mean I have to stop donating money??
    Seriously though Elan (and other Devs.) I am very
    happy for you. It’s a brilliant application and
    you are worth every minute of fame and fortune!

53. elan September 3rd, 2010 1:27 am

@Andrew: There is no vendor lockdown, we have a non-exclusive agreement with LG. As stated in this very post, we are going to be releasing the Media Server for other platforms.

54. Gary September 3rd, 2010 1:30 am

Congrats! All the work you guys did, you deserve it!

55. CharlesV September 3rd, 2010 1:32 am

Elan,

This is incredible, awesome news. I’ve been a Plex users since its release, and the commitment to user experience and integration has shown through, and of course been noticed by some major players.

It sounds like TV integration will essentially be plug-in only unless you have a media server running on another machine, i.e. no hard drive/NAS support. Given the fact that there’s no mention of the word “mac” in the press release at all, is the Media Server going to be cross-platform?

Are you going to have to buy thetvdb? ;)

56. Svein Jarle September 3rd, 2010 1:33 am

Congrats! Can’t wait to see how this will turn out.

Now that Plex is your full-time job, I presume this means that we’ll se updates more often than we’ve seen in the last year? I mean, I love Plex and everything, and I just wonder how long one have to wait for new features, such as subtitle support and that sort of stuff :)

57. plexboy September 3rd, 2010 1:39 am

Great deal with LG…However, the current Plex-users are probably less interested in have the intelligence in the TV. They are probably more interested in intelligent boxes (mini, A TV etc) that easily can be upgraded, hacked, etc.

I would state that the new Apple TV would absolutely be the prime target for the next Plex clientimplementation. Your new architecture makes it so much easier for the client-hardware…

If you develop a Plex-client for a hacked Apple TV I could see a development where people buy one for every TV in the house.

The hardware in Apple TV is sufficient for this and you could even take the burden of the client by doing some transcoding in the server…

(The best solution would of course be to work together with Apple but Steve will probably not allow it because of the indirect links do illegal downloading…)

58. Andrew September 3rd, 2010 1:41 am

@elan: Cheers for reply. I didn’t mean vendor lockdown with LG! Who’d throw away quality code like that? I meant the vendor lockdown with Apple.

And you’ve answered my question! Very awesome. I like the fact that I can host multiple services on one little computer (be it OS X, Linux or Windows), and have it play my media through a nice big tv too!

Great job guys, and love the Plex iOS app too. Making this multi platform will ensure you quickly get the monopoly in this market.

59. MTI September 3rd, 2010 1:43 am

elan, we just don’t hope that now that you are full-fledged CTO that you’ll stop responding to our comments or become less accessible in general :)

60. Dracorubio September 3rd, 2010 1:46 am

Wow that sure is amazing news!! I’ve been an avid fan since day one, and love to see how it grew and whats ahead in the future. I love the app, the community and the support of you guys! Thanx and congrats!!!

61. xain09 September 3rd, 2010 1:50 am

BIg thumbs up for the Plex team. All the best wishes from me ;)

62. Jamie September 3rd, 2010 1:56 am

@elan:
    This is great news! Congrats on the new partnership, quick question though I just bought a LG Blu Ray player with NetCast built in, the 2010 model. Do you know if these will be updated to carry Plex once available?
    Thanks again for all the great work!!

63. Hooman September 3rd, 2010 2:01 am

I’m blown away – this is amazing! Well done guys, super impressive!

64. no September 3rd, 2010 2:03 am

Big news…

Will LG support also AIFF and ALAC?
    :-)

65. Jason September 3rd, 2010 2:16 am

For the first time ever, I’m considering an LG TV for my next TV purchase, and I’m probably not alone here.

I’m very excited to see how the next 6-8 months unfold. To say that I’m anxious would be a bit of an understatement. Also, I want some Plex stock too. :)

Finally, to all the people pining over the new Apple TV, don’t forget the thing is only 720p. That 1080p version of Avatar you have in your media library? Yeah – downscaled. No thank you on that for my living room. Yes, please to Plex + LG.

66. Jason September 3rd, 2010 2:18 am

Congrats! Awesome news.

67. Jim September 3rd, 2010 2:30 am

Dang! Is there gonna be a post tomorrow saying that you are going to buy me a new LG TV too? Maybe give me a back rub and feed me grapes while I watch my shows?

You guys are on a roll. It’s fun to watch :)

68. Steve September 3rd, 2010 2:40 am

All sounds good. Thing is, I just bought a Samsung with the Internet apps. I assume you’re checking into that, too, since you mentioned the deal is not LG exclusive. My buddy just got an LG, so I’ll have him try it out for me until you guys get a version on Samsung, too. Until then, my Mac Mini will continue to rock Plex, as will my iPhone and iPad. Now I just need more time to watch. :)

69. Wilco September 3rd, 2010 2:51 am

Elan, first of all congratulations!!! Life can be so good!!! Dreams coming true!!!
    A small step for Elan (and all of you ofcourse), a huge step for mankind!!! So cool!

I (and the rest of Holland) love what you are creating! THE whole concept is just briljant!!!

70. OddyOh September 3rd, 2010 2:56 am

Amazing news! I think the Plex approach is the only one that provides enough freedom for people like us. Content providers don’t want to admit that a lot of us already own all our favourite content (on multiple formats sometimes!), and don’t want to re-buy every time they feel they need more revenue. Anyway, enough ranting, congrats! I won’t be replacing my 58″ Panasonic anytime soon, but I’ll always have a Mac in the house, and always running Plex!

71. Ryan in Montana September 3rd, 2010 3:02 am

Elan, along the theme of Plex touching as many eyeballs as possible, any chance we might see an Android client?

Thanks for all you and your team’s hard work.

72. Charlie September 3rd, 2010 3:03 am

It is great to see a group of people that have worked together to push out an awesome *free* product get a nice piece of recognition (and I hope a nice big FAT check!)

Congratulations!

73. MTI September 3rd, 2010 3:15 am

@Ryan in Montana: Read the press release very carefully :) (The answer is “yes”).

74. Chris B September 3rd, 2010 3:17 am

This is awesome guys! Many congratulations.

75. Andrew September 3rd, 2010 3:31 am

Elan,
    This sounds like it’s great news (and well-deserved) for you, and hopefully great news for us (the OSX users) as well. I’m slightly confused about how Plex will work on Windows – I thought that Plex was very tightly integrated with OSX, which was why it was originally forked from XBMC?

Will both the Plex front-end and the media server be ported to Windows or just the media server? Are there any plans to port the media server to linux as well? This would be a MASSIVE deal for me and I suspect some others – at the moment I’m running both the server and client on my (rather underpowered) mac mini, with my movies and TV shows stored on a linux box in a cupboard.

If I could run the media server on my much more powerful linux box and continue to have the Plex client on my mac mini, then PMS really could be the media hub for all my screens, whether they be Macs, iOS clients or LG screens. I dream of a day when my wife is watching TV in our living room, while I watch a movie on an iPad, and a hypothetical third person listens to music (perhaps with Plex streaming to a stereo via AirPlay?) elsewhere in the house, all served from a single Plex media server.

76. Andrew September 3rd, 2010 3:33 am

@Ryan, from the press release above: “Compatibility with mainstream mobile devices, such as iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone products, and soon to be announced Android based products including mobile phones and tablets”

77. MILE September 3rd, 2010 3:39 am

I’ll probably still stick with Panasonic, but good for you guys…! :)

78. David September 3rd, 2010 3:40 am

I have a few questions..

1. Does this entail that (when Plex has taken over the world) other companies can also integrate Plex into their components, without breaking any deals with LG?
    2. Are you guys paid by LG?
    3. These might be tricky to answer; will it only be the Plex client integrated into the LG components?
    4. Will the LG components be upgradeable; ie. can you upgrade from, say Plex 1.0 to 1.1?
    5. How much development “control” do you guys have over Plex in LG components?

79. Ben September 3rd, 2010 3:42 am

Will the Mac have to convert the files on the fly just like they have to do with the iPhone? If so, this is more appropriate for a second TV, correct?

Even so, this a fantastic development. I will be moving next year and looking to replace my TV. I’ll be getting a LG TV for sure. Well done Plex team.

80. padexx September 3rd, 2010 3:44 am

Thank you and good luck!!!

81. Pete September 3rd, 2010 3:45 am

@Ryan. Read the announcement……it says Android is coming!! The only platform not mentioned yet officially is Linux. AFAIK.

82. marklight September 3rd, 2010 3:46 am

Congrats guys! This is such exciting news to all of us who have been here since the beginning of Plex. Can’t imagine how exciting it must be for you!!! Looking forward to the continual development of your amazing platform!

83. Pete September 3rd, 2010 3:47 am

@Elan do you EVER sleep???

84. Remco September 3rd, 2010 4:05 am

That’s absolutely amazing, congratulations. I have only discovered Plex a few days ago and am still completely wowed by it. Seems like a deserved “win” for you guys!

85. Chris Lentz September 3rd, 2010 4:13 am

This is great news! I am so glad Plex is finally paying off for you. Not only do you have a killer supportive user group, but now you have the revenue needed to fully develop the product.
    Will be we see Plex v1 before the LG products hit the stores? I would imagine LG wont let you put a beta release in the final product.

86. Steve K September 3rd, 2010 4:14 am

Brilliant. Fantastic stuff.

You have not only taken Plex to another level. You’re re-written the rules, and then taken that to another level again.

Kudos to the Plex team.

Steve

87. ppson September 3rd, 2010 4:18 am

Congratulations! A big step for Plex.

On the other hand I hope this expansion will not make you lose track of your steps towards making Plex a more Mac integrated experience. This is what made me move to Plex from XBMC in the first place.

If you move inte Windows-world and you all of the sudden find that you have maybe 75-80% Windows users I’m afraid that the Mac version will be compromised. Will you swear on the holy book that you will never turn your back to us loyal Mac users?
    ;-)

88. Jim September 3rd, 2010 4:19 am

What is the name of the new company? Plex, Inc. or?

89. puithove September 3rd, 2010 4:20 am

WOW – Congrats to the Plex team. I’ve been very impressed with what you had done previously with Plex (as far as vision and such) and have been recommending it to anyone who has mentioned wanting to do a media box sort of setup. You have now officially blown my mind though. I see great things for the Plex future.

I can certainly understand why you’ve been sounding so excited with the “we have great things planned” type of teaser posts.

FWIW – I’m exceptionally pleased with my Mini setup today and in no way sorry to have spent the money. I’d be glad to be able to add on one or two more lower-cost clients as well. Great, great stuff.

Again congrats – how awesome is it to be able to turn a labor of love into a paying job?

90. zAo September 3rd, 2010 4:29 am

Holy smokes! I’ll wait to buy a new LED TV.

And great to hear that’s becoming a fulltime job/hobby!

91. tommy September 3rd, 2010 4:33 am

congrats!! great news on an amazing product and idea….quick question, that was asked already…i just bought a lg tv with netcast…will the software get upgraded to include plex?

92. Jim September 3rd, 2010 4:34 am

oh btw, how exactly is Plex Media Server architecture and framework more open then say Adobe AIR or Microsoft Silverlight?

The Plex Media Server which is the framework is still closed source right? So it is only your API and its documentation that is open, but not open as in free and open source source? and even the API is still proprietary to Plex?

93. DCstewieG September 3rd, 2010 4:34 am

Let me get this straight….you live in Hawaii with a beautiful wife and get paid to work on your hobby full time. I think congratulations are in order! Was this vision even a glimmer in your eye back when you forked OSXBMC?

And one observation, I’d imagine these connected devices would not support skins? Not a huge deal as long as they have a nice out of the box interface. I don’t know about buying a TV for it…we’ll see if the timing lines up right and the LG TVs are up there with the best…but I could definitely see a new Blu-ray player in my future.

94. Lynxai September 3rd, 2010 4:43 am

Elan: “As stated in this very post, we are going to be releasing the Media Server for other platforms.”

Nas?? Please.

95. Steve in Tennessee September 3rd, 2010 4:46 am

You guys ROCK! I hope I speak for all the PLEX users in saying that what you have provided for us media creatures by creating and continuing to develop such an absolutely AWESOME PRODUCT is a dream come true for us. You deserve all the benefits that this success will bring to you. APPLAUSE EVERYONE!!!

96. Mark Wilson September 3rd, 2010 4:47 am

I was gonna leave a donation for all the hard work that’s gone into 9 but are LG essentially funding everything now?

97. Daniel September 3rd, 2010 4:47 am

What do you think of the Google TV platform? Is that a platform you would consider writing plex for?

I do see your two products overlapping a bit in the video plugins area.. but I see (potential based on what I’ve read about theirs) different strengths as well. I see them being able to bring your cable/satellite content into the same TV input as your other content… and you guys have the best solution for managing media that you own.

and of course Congratulations on all the stuff you’ve been able to announce over the last week. Must be a very exciting time.

98. Michael R. September 3rd, 2010 4:50 am

1. Will the hardware on the LG devices be sufficient to run HD streaming of content over a network? Transcoding and all of that? I know there’s a reason I have a Mac Mini, and power is part of it.

2. Anything in the works to have Plex Media Server for something like a ReadyNas? That way, I could have the NAS on 24/7 and not have to turn on a Mac in order to get my content. The NAS holds all my content anyways…my Mac Mini basically serves as the media server and the hardware running Plex.

If the LG devices will run Plex, and the Plex Media Server is local on a ReadyNAS, then I could save money and cut out the Mac Mini entirely!

99. Jason September 3rd, 2010 4:56 am

All I can is that it is well deserved. You are a great bunch of Developers and the passion you have put into Plex is a prime example of that.

100. Sam September 3rd, 2010 4:58 am

I’ve been using plex for about a year now and I’m really thankfull for all the time you guys put into it. I’m really glad it grows into something big for you all now, you guys deserve this. Congrats on all the hard work!

101. Dracorubio September 3rd, 2010 5:01 am

Been mauling the idea through my head all day and I think there will be an LG in my home next year. Just wondering if the netcast software with Plex will be available to older LG models sporting netcast in a firmware update?

102. Edgemonster September 3rd, 2010 5:18 am

Great News! Many mahalos from the big island. Thanks for all the hard work. I’m soooo happy for you guys.

103. Jim September 3rd, 2010 5:19 am

Btw, how exactly is Plex Media Server architecture and framework more open then say Adobe AIR or Microsoft Silverlight?

104. Jeff September 3rd, 2010 5:22 am

OK, I JUST BOUGHT LG’s highest end plasma, the 60PK950. Will this awesome platform be available via a firmware upgrade, or is this only for 2011 models?

105. TIm September 3rd, 2010 5:23 am

Wow that’s just amazing! Went trough a discussion wiht my dad last night about this problem. And u just delivered the most desireable answer!

106. Russ September 3rd, 2010 5:29 am

Elan, I am so happy for you guys! Well done :) I will definitely not be buying a new Mini any time soon then, and I’ll be eagerly following news with LG products! Great work guys, you know you’ve been working on something special to be recognized by such a large company.

And hey, seems now maybe Pandora may change their mind about you guys building an “official” app :D

107. PTP September 3rd, 2010 5:32 am

Though I have some reservations, I am just going to be completely optimistic about this partnership. Congrats!

Anyone else curious on how much LG invested in plex? I would really like to know….

108. CharlesF September 3rd, 2010 5:35 am

@Ryan, read the press release…but in case you won’t…

“Compatibility with mainstream mobile devices, such as iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone products, and soon to be announced Android based products including mobile phones and tablets, ensures that the Plex solution is the industry’s first truly integrated three-screen media platform”

109. Spiral123 September 3rd, 2010 5:39 am

Very interesting. Still not sure exactly how you are going to monetize this though…are you going to open an app store and allow developers to charge for their plugins?

Also…I suspect you will be need to do something a little more formal with TVDB if you want them to allow us all to keep sucking out their metadata.

Good luck for the future though!

110. Angelo Alberico September 3rd, 2010 5:48 am

Good for you guys, any plans on releasing the PMS as a standalone product so we can install on a “server” of our choice (ie a NAS or my more powerful iMac, espcially for transcoding) or basically another computer that’s not my HTMAC. I’d like each “box” to handle playback only and then the server be responsible for serving the media.

You guys are doing CLI/SERVER now, is there any way to connect the player part of plex to a “remote” (even if it’s on the LAN) PMS?

111. Ben September 3rd, 2010 6:01 am

WOWOWOWOWOW – I found out about you guys through XBMC this summer, and since then, my home theatre life has changed drastically. I can not thank you enough for creating such a beautiful product, and for free no less. (Though I strongly encourage everyone to donate, or buy the iOS app). You are leaps and bounds above the competition and I truly thank you for all the hard work you have put into what has become my favourite software of all time (iOS included).

112. todd September 3rd, 2010 6:14 am

Will this also be an available firmware upgrade for those of us with current LG Netcast-ready BD players or televisions already? Or do we “need” the new LG hardware to get Plex when it’s available on LG stuff?

113. cue September 3rd, 2010 6:20 am

Holy ****! This is massive, I was shopping for a new tv just today, so glad I didn’t buy one yet.

Congratulations!

114. Carlo September 3rd, 2010 6:20 am

Does this $0 product include WiFi access to my computer content? How exactly does it network – a convenient detail to leave out.
    And $0 is a pretty deceptive claim when an LG internet-capable device is clearly more expensive than many other products.

115. dzerovibe September 3rd, 2010 6:26 am

Many of you have made comments such as “Too bad I just bought a new TV” or “I dunno if I want an LG TV” but don’t forget about the Blu-Ray player part of this announcement…

I’ve never had any intention of buying a Blu-Ray player (physical media??) but these new Plex-enabled Blu-Ray players will make for a very appealing set-top box. The cheapest Netcast-enabled Blu-Ray player on the LG site is listed as $159.99 RRP. That’s already cheaper than the Boxee Box, and not much more than the Apple TV. Even if I never insert a Blu-Ray disc into it, it will still be a very worthwhile purchase :-)

116. Dusty September 3rd, 2010 6:32 am

So, for those of us that don’t have a Mac, but have PCs and Linux, will there be a plex server for us? (After all, that has to be the least hardware-dependent piece of the system)

117. Jorge September 3rd, 2010 6:42 am

Congratulations! glad to see that your hard work maybe paying off. Great product I have loved plex for a long time now and I am glad you are getting what you deserve… FREAKING AWESOME!

118. Jamille16 September 3rd, 2010 6:43 am

First of all, congratulations to the Plex team. Your great effort yielded a tremendous result.
    I am a Boxee and XBMC user and after the great news about LG I went to the Apple store to download the Plex app. for my Ipad; BUT notice after little reading that Plex won’t stream
    .TS or .ISO files. I would love to install Plex since you guys achieved what others had tried and dreamed of, but with these Itunes DRM and certain files related restrictions it won’t work for me. Can anyone in the Plex community explain to me the files limitations and correct me If I am hopefully wrong?
    Once again congratulations to Plex.
    Now looking forward to be part of the winning group.

Jamille.

119. Gattung September 3rd, 2010 6:48 am

Congrats! Basically LG is adding a client to their respective hardware that will interface with the Plex media server, still to be discussed are what formats will be supported… MKV? OGG? all the formats that the Plex client supports?

Will we be able to use skins like the Mediastream example above? if so that makes me very excited. if we are relegated to LG’s interface maybe not so much but having access to all my media will always be good and if it will have the broad format support that Plex client enjoys this is still a big plus.

Again congrats on getting major support on something you are passionate about!

120. Rod September 3rd, 2010 6:58 am

Elan,
    Sounds like a dream come true for the PLEX team. Congrats to all of you, it is extremely pleasing to see you and the team reap the rewards of many years on Plex development (as well as the community). I hope LG plans to support the TVDB and IMDB because when not thousands but millions start their Plex devices and try to download movie data these services will crumble.
    Cheers!

121. Dbl_A September 3rd, 2010 7:05 am

Nice! It will be very interesting to see how the market plays out. As DishNetwork is set to offer GoogleTV… It appears that they will charge ~$200 for a set-top-box, then ~$3-4/month for service.
    With LG, it seems one could get a Blu-Ray player for <$200 and get free Plex service. This should definitely help, FTW!

122. rich September 3rd, 2010 7:26 am

If it’ll support 1080p mkv’s then a 42inch LG television just went straight to the top of my wishlist. Will it be compatible with windows home server?

123. Zarani Barrow September 3rd, 2010 7:42 am

This is awesome!!! They say do what you love and it will eventually pay off. This proves that saying is true. I’m crazy about Plex and my wife loves it more than you can love any non-carbon based unit. Keep up the good work! I can’t wait to see what you guys do with Plex from here.

124. Chris September 3rd, 2010 7:46 am

This is such wonderful news!!! Congrats all around!

I have a semi unrelated question, though. Do you guys plan on releasing an Android app similar to the iOS one?

125. Peter September 3rd, 2010 7:53 am

@elan Huge congratulations and every penny you get from this is well deserved. I really hope you stand strong against any DMCA/RIAA/Company pressure to restrict formats, implement their bonehead DRMs, etc. Always remember it was because Plex played anything and did it so well that you are where you are :)

126. kyle w. September 3rd, 2010 8:05 am

I cant wait for a windows version!! My Mac buddies talk about plex all the time and i dont really have much to say because i cant use it. Sadface. Hook me up please!!!

127. Oncleben31 September 3rd, 2010 8:14 am

Wow great news for you and Plex. If you need a full time resource for French stuffs I will apply. ;-).

128. Pierre September 3rd, 2010 8:21 am

Congratulations to the entire team for the hard work, a great job and deserved recognition. Wishing you a lot of success in this new commercial adventure ….

129. andymck September 3rd, 2010 8:26 am

hmm so with it not being a lock in with LG, will there be a chance for a samsung internet widget? If so, Plex can take its rightly owned place back in the front room!

130. hamachi September 3rd, 2010 9:02 am

this explains the cone of silence you were operating under for so long. I’m sure it was very frustrating to not be able to share this with anyone while getting blasted in the forums.

hope it all works out. I’d love to have plex running on my other TVs with a few button presses.

I assume you’ll have to port media server/manager to a non-mac system as well?

131. Howie September 3rd, 2010 9:54 am

Soon there will be a top box…

132. Egils September 3rd, 2010 10:02 am

Congrats Plex, Inc.! Is Barkely getting a “bling-ed out” collar?
    Good luck guys!

133. Herman (pappabear) September 3rd, 2010 10:03 am

@Elan

Congratulations!!!

The possibilities are endless. I hope that premium TV-makers ( LOEWE or B&O) will also adopt the the client. But the question I have is that for those of us which are happy with their TV and don’t want to buy an obsolete Blu-ray player: will there be a dedicated player like the ATV?? It would make the adoption of the platform easier. I don’t mind to pay some amount for a player. Because if I have to replace every TV-set it would cost more. And with Macmini’s it is to expensive too.

Stocks??

134. sd September 3rd, 2010 10:12 am
  135. Ron September 3rd, 2010 10:36 am

Currently own a Samsung BR player, Sony TV and a Mac Mini. I’ll always use the mini as my HTPC but you’d better believe I’ll be buying an LG Bluray player and LG television next year. Not to run Plex, mainly but to suppose the company that is supporting the program I use and value most.

Keep up the phenomenal work guys. I’ll always be a proud Plex (and now LG) user.

136. pv_bain September 3rd, 2010 11:04 am

wooowwwwww seams great on this tv !

137. wally007 September 3rd, 2010 11:23 am

Hopefully their 2011 Plasma line up will be better than current one.

Also i dont get how LG TV is going to play those 1080 mkv’s we have in our Lex Media Server. Transcoding ? That will need pretty beefy “server”

138. elan September 3rd, 2010 11:26 am

@wally007: The TVs have hardware decoders which can handle a wide range of formats/codec. Talk about 0% usage :-)

139. Mr. Barlow September 3rd, 2010 11:32 am

That is bloody amazingly awesome news !!!!
    Well Done!

140. coiney September 3rd, 2010 12:08 pm

Agreed! Awesome. When can we buy shares?!

141. Mattias September 3rd, 2010 12:10 pm

Too bad LG produces crappy TV-sets. Lets hope they get better at it in the future. 99% av their tv’s are pretty much crap visually.

142. pv_bain September 3rd, 2010 12:14 pm

@Elan : got my mail about documentary ?

143. stinky September 3rd, 2010 12:47 pm

When I get my MD in two years and move to a new city for residency I’m totally getting an LG TV so I can stream content from my mac to the TV. Your whole system of PC/mobile/TV is incredible. I just hope hard drive prices keep falling with the size of my library.

144. Danny September 3rd, 2010 1:17 pm

It is funny, there are always a few that try and pee in everyone’s cheerios.

Elan, so happy for you and all the crew, this is the best news. Any idea if LG will push Plex to existing Blu-Ray players? I just got my friend to get one because out of the box they already support MKVs, AVIs, Divx etc and of course Blu-Rays which is much friendlier for non-techs to play with. The interface is fine but nothing like Plex, to have Plex on there, amazing. I will definitely get one of their BR players when they come out.

145. Flip September 3rd, 2010 1:33 pm

So to summarize…

you have taken the XBMC media center, which was AND STILL IS, a totally FREE open source mediaserver platform available for MAC, LINUX, APPLETV & WINDOWS, made a commercial deal with LG and now claiming that this is momentous day in history that you had LG have brought about..

HAH!! HAH!!

The truth can be seen at http://www.xbmc.org

146. Paul September 3rd, 2010 2:09 pm

I’m fairly good with tech, so if I can’t get this thing to work in 15 minutes or less, then you’ve failed. I selected the file folders that hold my content when setting up the app. Launch Plex, no content. When Apple makes a product it doesn’t come with an instruction manual BECAUSE IT DOESN’T NEED ONE! Plex, what a disappointment!

147. Oliver September 3rd, 2010 2:33 pm

@Danny: Yes, it would be interesting to know if the current LG Blu-ray players which already support NetCast ( like the 580) will be upgraded to be Plex compatible. If yes, I would buy one tomorrow.

148. Jonny Wray September 3rd, 2010 2:34 pm

@Flip: not sure you could be more wrong. Seems to me the LG products will be clients to the plex media server. Nothing in either of those from xbmc, other than an evolution of the generic concept of what a media centre should be.

149. elan September 3rd, 2010 2:44 pm

@Flip: I’ma let you finish, but only because I want to quickly make clear how wrong you are. Let me draw you a picture, because I’ve heard sometimes those can help get across difficult points to people:

LG TV < --------> Plex Media Server < -------> Plex for Mac

Now, from left to right:

1) LG TV: The client is written by them, not a trace of XBMC code in it.
    2) Plex Media Server: Written 100% by us, no XBMC code in it.
    3) Plex for Mac: Based on XBMC code, open source.

So as you can see, the exciting bit happens between the TV and the Plex Media Server, without a single line of XBMC code. And just to clarify further, the iOS client also talks directly to the Plex Media Server without involving XBMC code.

Please, get your facts straight before you vomit up a bunch of nonsense on my nice clean blog. Cleanup in aisle 3, please!

150. Pete September 3rd, 2010 3:28 pm

Well said Elan.
    I’m seeing some Plex bashing by XBMC people on several forums….seems they’re s***ing themselves about becoming a tiny niche player while you guys, with real vision are about to get really big!!
    I’m also thinking Apple themselves might be a tad miffed as this will eat into AppleTV potential sales

151. iordonez September 3rd, 2010 4:11 pm

@Paul,

The following Apple products come with a getting started manual:

MacBook
    MacBook Pro
    Mac Pro
    iMac
    iPhone (Online only)
    iPod Touch (Online only)
    iPod Nano (Online only)
    iWork
    iLife
    Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Actually Apple has an entire domain dedicated to them: manuals.info.apple.com

152. myminirocks September 3rd, 2010 4:56 pm

@ Elan, yeah, I get why they love Plex and the open format, and it is a competitive advantage, against the likes of Sony who love to stitch up everything with proprietary formats etc, I just hope we don’t lose you when you release a windows/linux etc version installable on existing hardware most people have in their homes, for zilch, negating the need to go by an LGE product.

The best thing out of all of this is that it is LGE. I do think that LGE are about the only company who will continue to support it being open, rather then eventually trying to lock it up once the competitive advantage has had its use. They really are a forward, out of the box thinking company, and it has shown in their very very infantile existence (excluding the Goldstar days)

Well done to you guys, and most of all, congratulation on chasing, committing to, and now achieving your dream, what a wonderful feeling it must be.

153. Russ September 3rd, 2010 6:07 pm

I wonder if the new LG Televisions will be 3d as well…if I could kill three birds with one stone (new badass TV, Plex on said badass TV, and 3D) I would be ecstatic. BTW I can only imagine the excitement you must be feeling to actually have PLEX be your CAREER now…so impressive guys :)

@Flip, as voiced above, if you actually did your homework, nothing about the PMS or LG deal has to do with XBMC…completely different code. What do you think Plex/Nine is? It’s their own code! The UI and player is really all that remains in the Mac client, which has nothing to do with LG, or any other future deals. Not trying to sound rude, but that kind of pissed me off…

And lastly, I hope that mouse curser is optional…

154. Erik September 3rd, 2010 7:28 pm

Good for you guys, congratulations.

One thing I dont understand though, this talk about openness, the PMS is closed source, and without it plex wont work, correct? So in this LG deal, what is it exactly that is open?

155. elan September 3rd, 2010 7:36 pm

@Erik: According to Wikipedia, “In software and web-based architectures, an Open Platform describes a software system which has published external programming interfaces that allow using the software to function in other ways than the original programmer intended, without requiring modification of the source code”. Open Platform is not the same as Open Source.

156. Chris September 3rd, 2010 8:31 pm

Any news on if you will release a Windows version of the Plex application in combination with the server client?

157. Jamie September 3rd, 2010 9:06 pm

Congratulations Elan,

This is indeed incredibly exciting news. Ive worked in IT for 20 years and there are very few products / projects that are genuinely exciting and I have to say this is most definitely one of them.

Well done again,
    Jamie

158. HungryBear September 3rd, 2010 9:22 pm

Woooah, Double “One More Thing” OMG……double “One More Thing” all the way across the Internet! Hahahahaha!!!!!!! Wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

OMG OMG what does this mean?! It’s starting to look like a triple “One More Thing”!

Wooooohooooo!!!! OMG Double “One more thing!!”

159. Jesús September 3rd, 2010 9:24 pm

Congratulations guys!

This is a great result for a great job.

But now i’ll need to buy a Mac only for installing PMS :)

160. Oliver September 3rd, 2010 9:44 pm

Elan, do you know, if the current LG Blu-ray players which already support NetCast (like the 580) will be upgradable to be Plex compatible?

161. Euchre September 3rd, 2010 11:05 pm

So if I understand this right, the LG TV client pulls content from a cloud based server, but at least in theory (if not in fact) can pull the content from your Mac? So now folks with a Mac somewhere on their LAN can store media there and pass it to their LG TV (or BD player)? I’m sure this means some people will stop buying a mini to use to get Plex content to their TV. (I won’t be going away from my mini connected to my TV, as I want to have things like my IRC client and browser on my TV too.)

Oh, and please tell me this means Plex has income and can now pay some of the devs something like a full time wage.

162. Maximilian Fischer September 4th, 2010 1:38 am

No Infos about an Linux Plex Media Server ?

163. Lars September 4th, 2010 3:21 am

Yeah $0… You just have to buy a LG TV or BD-player..

I would rather buy a small plex box.. If you could get plex to run on the new TV.. Now that would be interesting..
    Plex is the best media center around. If i were to buy a new tv or BD-player anyway i would really consider LG, just because of plex..

164. pcmoen September 4th, 2010 3:25 am

Any plans on providing a web interface to the Plex Media Server? Would be nice to point my browser to http://plexmediaserver.local: 32400/ and view my movies and TV shows in a Flash, HTML5 or similar player. As an alternative to installing and using the Plex app on my iMac.

165. pv_bain September 4th, 2010 8:06 am

didn’t realise in the video…

windows version in 2 months from now… ;)

hum seems that plex is going to be a huuuuge thing in 2011… good!

Felicitation encore

166. Lyra September 4th, 2010 12:13 pm

Althought I really like my mini mac and my macbook pro, all my files are stored on a nice linux xen server who run 24/7. If we will not need a mac as frontend, and OSX seems to be the only OS that you cant (or shouldnt) virtualize, a plex server OSX only seems to be the weak part of this new system. Please, consider a linux plex server :-).
    BTW, congratulations for all the good work!

167. Eric September 4th, 2010 7:43 pm

I just bought 4 LG LE8500 (2×47″ and 2×55″) – the top non-3D model – for a new home. It says Netcast on it, does it mean it will be Plex compatible in the future?? It would be a real shame if it is not….
    Nonetheless, big congrats to the dev team!

168. Seth B September 4th, 2010 7:53 pm

Just wanted to say congrats and thank you for all that you’ve done for this excellent piece of software. It’s literally changed my life in the most positive way. I hope your venture with LG brings you great success and happiness. You guys deserve it. As much as I like to introduce Plex as an under the radar app I hope it does hit a “main stream” so you and those that have worked so hard to develop it can enjoy a sweet sense of pride and accomplishment. Best of luck to the team and again, congrats!!

Although, now that you’re working “full time” we’re going to expect nothing less than perfection … or damn close to it ;-)

169. Kilian September 4th, 2010 8:14 pm

Hmm so the media server is also 0$ and the TV with plex integrated will be free? I’m sorry, but I don’t need a TV I’ve got a gorgeous Apple Cinema Display and I have a Mac anyway, so boxee is the 0$ solution and I have tried your platform and boxee beats it in usability hands down.

170. Shawn September 4th, 2010 8:41 pm

This is awesome and now i’ll just wait to buy a Blu-Ray when this becomes available.

Seriously – good work guys. Not all my friends that I tell constantly about how awesome Plex is won’t have an excuse.

171. Neville Downunder September 5th, 2010 3:24 am

Elan, well done and good thinking all round.

Just reflecting on the diagram you “drew” above (in ASCIiii, no less ). Isn’t it missing a cloud at the top with a connection to each of the 3 components?

Since it wouldn’t make sense to direct locally stored content all the way up to the cloud and down again, I take it that the horizontal axis includes the home LAN. Similarly, each Plex client as well the Media Server should be able to pull content and metadata from remote online sources (=cloud + internet) and local, equally ‘online’, sources, that usually come with better bandwidth. So the cloud-Plex is also a Media Server ….

Have I got this right?

Best,

172. Bram September 5th, 2010 4:26 am

@Kilian: I’m in your situation, but in that case not only boxee is the 0$ solution, also Plex or xbmc or any other possible media center software out there. The case is still that if you have a tv it might be cheaper to use Plex. Do note that I say it might be, because of course you still need to buy an LG in that case. Although, if you’re looking for a BR player buying an LG might be a very interesting option now as you’ll have the power to view all you media via Plex and still be able to buy/rent and watch your Blurays. And it’s just that in that last case Plex really have become the cheapest solution there is out there.

I for one welcome these changes and like them very much.

BTW, what is so much better in usability for Boxee if I may ask?

173. David September 5th, 2010 5:08 am

Elan,

I love Plex on the Mac, and the iOS client is a fantastic addition. What I really want is Plex on my TV, and while I think your partnership with LG is a great move forward for Plex as a product, the “$0 Plex” solution in your solution has a giant hole in it for the vast majority of people who already have TVs and/or BluRay players.

The Plex software is free (though I would happily pay for it), but the cost of getting Plex to my TV is still $699 minimum for a new Mac Mini, since I don’t need a new TV or BluRay player. The Apple TV or a dedicated Boxee-type rig is a much more attractive solution for people like me, who I think represent the vast majority of consumers.

Any plans for a dedicated box or bringing Plex to an existing box?

174. cktse September 5th, 2010 6:42 am

congras!! really happy to hear this news. great outcome for the plex team and the plex platform!

175. Erik September 5th, 2010 7:04 am

Elan: ok i see your point, sorry for my ignorance. i truly am happy for your guys, must have been a dream come true. I haven’t looked into the source of plex at all, but what kind of protocol are you using between Plex and PMS? Is it open and documented somewhere? Will the LG devices support the same REST api for remote controlling etc?

176. raultaboraz September 5th, 2010 10:35 am

awesome… @elan $ Plexteam… I would like to send you big congrats. I can imagine how are you feeling now when a giant is knocking on your door, uh? You are now receiving now from your work and effort, all this time that you were bringing us awesome software for our mediacenters!
    I am very happy for you plex team! Congrats!

177. nova September 5th, 2010 2:00 pm

It would be nice if they would update their 2010 models to receive this software as an upgrade to the software. Here’s to hoping they actually do it…

Congrats guys, great work on your end as always.

178. dev September 5th, 2010 4:21 pm

i just really hope plex for Mac OS X won’t die. I really do. I already have a nice TV, and i own 2 macs which run Plex. Elan, i’m sorry , i didn’t read all the comments, just 1 question. As i read, plex for mac is the only one running code from XBMC. Will you continue to support plex for mac ? Plex 1.0 and so ? I mean the player, skins, plug-ins and such ?

179. dev September 5th, 2010 4:24 pm

Sad to hear about windows, Plex was really something “Mac’s exclusive”. But I understand you guys, u made a beautiful masterpiece, share it with the entire world :)
    Bought iOS app for my new iPad, LOVE IT. Hope it will get updates, too. The only things is that i can’t figure out how to listen music from iTunes on my iPad. But i guess a little search and i’ll find the answer.

180. elan September 5th, 2010 4:44 pm

I have only Macs in my house. Do you really think I’d let the OS X version suffer? Not bloody likely.

181. Dev September 5th, 2010 5:24 pm

Thank you for the fast answer. I’m in piece now and can sleep well :)

182. Euchre September 5th, 2010 7:40 pm

So Elan, can the LG client use a local PMS instance on the LAN to get its content? Please say yes. If that’s the case, it makes it pretty likely my next TV would be an LG.

183. omg September 5th, 2010 8:01 pm

Aha.. so this explains the dropped rar-support. Damn capitalism.. ;)

Anyway, big congrats and good luck, looking forward to follow this and see where it´s going. From a distance though, *going back to xbmc with tail between my legs*. Sorry, need that rar-support.

184. elan September 5th, 2010 8:47 pm

@Euchre: Yes, that’s exactly right. FTW, right?

185. Niska September 7th, 2010 2:36 am

I’m currently running XBMC on Xbox. I want to switch to Plex. I’ve read this post. And it seems to me that Mac Mini my only option right now.

Also, the $0 alternative seems to be expencive. I have to buy a BlueRay-player or a new TV to be able to run the client. And I also need some kind of server. Correct me if I’m wrong.

186. CrispyXUK September 7th, 2010 5:43 am

All sounds wonderful, whatabout format acceptance on these devices? Will they be accepting whatever movie formats/codecs plex can read?

Great work BTW.

187. Quim September 7th, 2010 7:19 am

You guys Rock!
    Best entertainment product!

How could I buy Shares or participate… ? ;-)

188. Cafeine September 7th, 2010 7:48 am

Nice, but seeing the ton of bugs I have on a quite simple install, I see many sleepless nights ahead of you. ;)

189. chris c September 7th, 2010 9:32 am

@omg

Why would you “need” rar support? With hard drive space as cheap as it is these days, couldn’t you just unrar your collection to add compatibility with a number of other applications and start enjoying Plex?

190. peter September 7th, 2010 4:50 pm

Plex does not appear to allow open web browsing from your Tv… Is it a walled garden ? If so, its DOA

191. elan September 7th, 2010 4:58 pm

@peter: Oh no! Well, the garden has a short fence, but it is made out of brick, does that count? OK, in all seriousness, we’re a media platform, not a web browser.

192. peter September 7th, 2010 7:15 pm

Fair enough… hopefully you’ll develop an app for openTv development…
    Content in the cloud is cool… but I want my 50 plasma to be web enabled too :)

Thanks !!

193. Alan September 7th, 2010 9:52 pm

Elan, first congratulations on the LG deal.
    I’m little confused between the article and your comment.

“So early next year, when you buy an LG Netcast™ TV or Blu-ray player, you will have Plex functionality built-in.”

But in your comment it seems the LG TV is only a client to the Plex Media Server.

So is it just a client needing a separate server either in the cloud or locally on a Mac or PC?

194. elan September 7th, 2010 10:10 pm

@Alan: Correct, although the cloud version is of course more than just a Plex Media Server running on a great Mac in the sky.

195. superJ September 8th, 2010 2:57 am

Congratulation.
    You guys earned this. And that you finaly get a living out of plex is just great!!!!!

196. gideva September 10th, 2010 8:29 am

Guys…. you are the reason why I moved from Xp to Mac… now you are pushing me to change all my Sam…g for LG!!!
    Let me know if I can buy some shares….

GREAT job you are doing

197. Patrick September 12th, 2010 4:31 am

Awesome, awesome job guys.
    So glad you’ve finally got your dream of being able to work full time on this! I do ‘in my spare time’ coding, and it just doesn’t feel quite right.

Once again, loving everything you’re doing and keep up the awesome work you’re doing

198. Nick September 15th, 2010 5:42 pm

I just bought an LG TV a couple weeks ago with Netcast and DLNA capability. It’s been asked already but not answered, will these current models be software-upgradeable to be able to access Plex?

I’ve also found some bugs with their video playing software (it ignores pixel aspect ratios, and is unable to play AAC audio for movies that last more than 90-100 minutes). Would Plex provide an end run around their buggy player implementation, or will the client simply re-use their existing players with video streams provided by PMS? Are you in tight with any LG engineers? Maybe you could prevail on them to fix those bugs? :)

199. elan September 16th, 2010 12:32 pm

@Nick: I’m actually not sure about the upgradability, but my guess would be not, just because of the new decoder hardware. Every experience I’ve had with the LG engineers has been fabulous, they are working hard on getting as many formats/codecs supported as is realistically possible.

200. MichaelW September 16th, 2010 6:26 pm

Elan-
    Will the resignation of the LG CEO tonight and the announced reorganization have any impact on the inclusion of Plex with the new LG equipment?

201. Akirus October 13th, 2010 4:42 am

I hope there is a way to upgrade my 55″ 55LE8500. Netcast and DLNA are alrady on board.

202. DaveFromEU October 27th, 2010 2:30 am

Great to see there is so many LG TV customers using NetCast. You can add me to the list, as I’m another LG customer who just bought 2 x LG high end 60″ plasmas (60PK950) with NetCast installed.

Elan, please ask LG NOT WILL, BUT WHEN will your great Plex client be available as a Firmware upgrade for 2010 series NetCast Plasma TV.

NOTE to forward to LG:
    1) After spending over US$3.5k on 2 x LG NetCast enabled Plasma TV for the home, the least LG can do is reward their loyal customers with a firmware upgrade with Plex.
    2) Tip: Continued Software Firware/iOS update’s is another reason why Apple customers are so loyal to purchasing their mobile hardware. LG, please don’t make the same mistake as Nokia and other Asia manufactures. Please support upgrading of your 2010 series Plasma firmware with Plex integration!

Would it be a good idea to create a new thread in this form to follow-up LG on this? If they want assistance to beta test any LG Plex firmware updates in Europe, I’d would be more then willing!

203. TC November 1st, 2010 5:31 pm

DaveFromEU; A lot of consumers are asking this, myself included. But you really must look at the truth of it, you paid your $3.5k for the best item that you could afford and was available at the time of your purchase, and it is a pretty great item for sure, as it is still today. It is an electronic device and by nature will depreciate not only in monetary value but also in feature ability as advances occur. What is being unveiled here through a lot of major hard work by very talented individuals and a large corporate manufacturer is something completely new not only in software, but in hardware too most likely. By nature of this, it will be highly unlikely that your system will run this new platform. Realistic expectations need to be used here. Now, let’s bring to the table what you do know – Plex is coming to LG. Good. Now place your current $3.5k device on the auction block somewhere as it still carries value to those who do not yet know what you do know. Make some of your money back. Find a good cheap interim solution and pocket your funds for the 2011 LG SmartTV and support this Plex direction. Our Plex developers are rewarded, LG is rewarded and you are rewarded. WINS all around!

204. Le Mag November 25th, 2010 8:57 am

Where is the Plex logo?

205. Connie December 8th, 2010 6:48 am

I recently purchased an LG 50 inch plasma and it’s still in the box. Does anyone know if the 2010′s will be upgradeable for Plex software? I could still return it and wait a couple of months. I called LG and of course they couldn’t tell me.

206. elan December 8th, 2010 9:22 am

@Connie: It will not be upgradable.

207. Madburg December 8th, 2010 11:38 am

Question,

I understand the LG TV & BD players will have the client and they will not (assuming) cost anymore do to this, but will help them sell more. If it was up to me all devices would have the client :) But you still need the server… so the $699 (large) is still needed. And my understanding is PLEX will be creating versions of PLEX to run on other OS platfroms so this will open up what NEEDS to be purchased to run PLEX Server but still needed, so that may decrease the $699 (large) :). Also and you will quickly learn dedicated is better. Your desktop/laptop blewup, oops forgot to turn in on (run downstairs, etc…).
    So we need to play pretend. To get this great product mainstream and to avarage John/Jane’s. The Plex server needs dedicated hardware just to do one thing (maybe two) only run the server software so MANY PLEX clients (TV’s) can stream from it (so dual gig nics teamed). And have 1 HDMI output to able (this is #2) to be a client for one TV as well (optical audio out to AV). NO internal harddrives. 1 or more usb connections for those who which to attach a USB drive and support connecting to all file systems (NFS/NTFS/etc. ISCSI would be a bonus add-on). IR for control. Thats it! not a thing more. Need a small hardware device running ONLY PLEX Server. It would be quiet, hidden, dedicated, kept on at all times. Nothing else installs on it, it can be auto/manually updated but NOTHING else. That would be the perfect device. Get rid of all other support (windows/mac/linux, etc. software). You want Plex? buy this small dedicated hardware device. The client is the only piece that can be software based and also available as another small dedicated device for additional rooms (tv/hdmi/optical out/nic) or integrated HW/Client like what LG will be doing. Now that free’s PLEX up to work on all current bugs, additions, file type support, etc. basically all our demands! :)

I am personally very fustrated how long its taking ANYONE to get streaming LOCAL & WEB (not just netflex) with a nice (selectable) GUI on a TV, scraping and all.

This one supports this, that one supports that, this one is not 1080p, that one doesnt do MKV, this one wont torrent, that one has weekly bug fixes. Come on now.

Sign me up as chief IT Architect at PLEX and there will be nothing but PLEX by year end 2011.

208. JDizzy December 27th, 2010 6:43 am

Been waiting for someone to put it all in one box!
    There are many good boxes out there but they are all lacking in one sense or another.
    Hopefully with Plex installed and the ability to index, stream local content, and a GUI LG will have set the mark. It will be nice to see how customizable LG will make Plex for us that like to tinker.

209. thescragster January 8th, 2011 4:42 pm

There is a great tutorial on how to install Plex on the Apple TV 2G here – take a look:

210. AS March 4th, 2011 5:37 am

Congrats on the LG deal. You guys do fantastic work and I am a happy user of plex on my Mac.

However I dont really buy into this logic. Basically what you are saying instead of buying an HTPC or a embedded device we have to buy a whole new TV. That is not free.

I’m holding my breath that you come out with an embedded device with a HD (unlike APple TV). Plex is the best at the moment, however I only own a laptop and do not want to buy an HTPC or new TV to use it on the big screen.

211. Morten September 15th, 2011 7:11 am

This is wrong. I have just (14th september 2011) bought a LG blu-ray player with “Smart TV” and run all updates. Medialink/ plex is not there. Browsing everything I have found from LG, they have never said that Plex will ever be on Blu-ray devices, only on some TVs. In other words, I should have gone with Samsung, for which there is a Plex client. How about updating this page so that not more people are fooled into buying LG?

212. designwallah November 15th, 2011 6:23 pm

Morten, according to this post made on 7 April 2011 by an “LG employee, Plex is not available on any Blu-ray player:

“As of today (4/7/2011), the following products will not support Plex. All BD players. All Home Theater Systems.”

(http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/25399-lg-products-with-plex/)

This is a huge disappointment to me, specially after reading the exciting statement made by lamnina.

I will look for the Samsung model you mentioned.