Does a Snow Leopard have Spots? - Plex Blog

Does a Snow Leopard have Spots?

| 22 Nov 2009 | by 45 Comments

OK, so we always try to make sure a plug-in is robust and fully stable before publishing it to the App Store, but we’re going to make an exception in this one case. Why? Because this new plug-in is so cool, we can’t keep it to ourselves any longer! We’ve been testing it internally for a few weeks now, and thanks to some of the bug-fixes and enhancements in Plex 0.8.5 we’re finally able to share it with you.

Do you like music? If so, riddle me this: What’s the premier subscription music service on the planet that everyone’s talking about? That’s right, Spotify. Of course, if you live in the US, you haven’t been able to enjoy it yet, but if you (or your IP address) resides in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France or Spain, you’ve probably checked out this amazing service.

So here’s the good news: If you have a premium subscription to Spotify, you can now enjoy this incredible service from the convenience of your couch for the first time ever, inside Plex. Head to the Plex App Store, install it, open up a nice bottle of wine, and enjoy the millions of tracks that are just a click of an Apple Remote away.

(Many thanks to Don McAllister and Oscar R for their initial testing of the plug-in and great suggestions!)

NOTE: Don’t forget, you need the latest Plex to use this plug-in, as well as a premium Spotify subscription.

Plex.jpg

1. ML November 22nd, 2009 11:57 am

Beautiful! Been waiting for this. You’re doing absolutely magical work Plex-team. Thank you :D

2. menace November 22nd, 2009 12:54 pm

Oh, LORD – this was a nice surprise. You guys rock! :)

Can’t wait to see what you have up for your sleeves next…

3. wally007 November 22nd, 2009 1:55 pm

VPN is the business to be in right now :-)

4. Bjorn November 22nd, 2009 3:00 pm

Does it use openspotify or despotify internally?
    I don’t see any reference to the license file (which is required afaik)

5. winddoc November 22nd, 2009 4:41 pm

Is there any way to make this work with the free Spotify account???

6. elan November 22nd, 2009 4:59 pm

Regarding the license, we forgot to include the license file with the original version (whoops), but if you update you’ll now find it (or you can browse it here: http://tr.im/FxcC )

@winddoc: A premium account is, and always will be required.

7. conrad November 22nd, 2009 8:32 pm

wehoo, i have soooo been waiting for this =D
    made my day!

8. Degis November 22nd, 2009 8:43 pm

This is awesome news!

9. luminary November 22nd, 2009 9:32 pm

Now, this is just super. Thanks a lot!

10. Arild November 22nd, 2009 10:36 pm

I have the latest Spotify client, a premium account, and I just get this error:
    “MSG_ERROR_AUTH_TITLE”.

Whats wrong?

11. Per November 22nd, 2009 10:54 pm

Nice!
    How is the quality? Is there an option in this plug-in to play higher bitrate? As it is in settings in the spotify app?

12. elan November 22nd, 2009 11:36 pm

@Arild, this says to me two things: We need to fix a translation issue, and it appears that your credentials haven’t been entered correctly.

13. elan November 22nd, 2009 11:37 pm

@Per: There is no option to set bitrate. It uses the direct download option via despotify-derived code, so I would assume you get the high quality, but I’m not positive.

14. Jacob November 23rd, 2009 2:05 am

This is just perfect!
    I bought a mac mini to use Plex as my media center, the only time I close plex is when I use Spotify – now I will be able to run Plex 24/7.
    Cudos to you guys.

15. Jacob November 23rd, 2009 2:09 am

I forgot to ask, will it/is it possible to use offline mode?

16. dmd November 23rd, 2009 2:54 am

And now S60 version released on the following day, sweet!

17. asker November 23rd, 2009 5:30 am

I am having the same problem as Arild.

18. Arthur November 23rd, 2009 6:59 am

Hi and congrat for you work which looks awesome ! Unfortunately I can’t get this plugin working. I’m am on 10.6 with the latest Plex and a premium account but it doe’nt want to work. Actually each time I try to login, Plex is freezing. I tried many times, I reboot, I reinstall .. Nothing to do..

Have you got an answer ?

19. baseic November 23rd, 2009 7:05 am

Hello!

Damn this extension has some serious bugs!

Can’t get it to play the track i have selected, it always starts playing a completely different one!

And btw, quite often it shows the wrong track name and cover when playing a track…

20. robert November 23rd, 2009 7:10 am

Well this app has some serious spots!!

Don’t even one’s (ok ones every now an then) plays the correct song.
    Always a completely random song…

Stops working and disappears from the Music list.

Shows information about a completely different song than the one playing.

Plz fix this, it looks incredible, but operates horribly!

21. John November 23rd, 2009 7:33 am

This is great! Does this app just use the streamed versions of the playlists or can it use offline data if you have it to save bandwidth?

Just signed up for the premium a/c so was delighted to see this app in Plex

22. Pyrou November 23rd, 2009 8:25 am

since I’m a premium spotify user, I definitively stop using itunes,
    Is it a simple way to match the “music” plex menu item to this reeallllllly great plugin and so remove the native music player ? (I think a lot of spotify premium user will be agree with me)

23. Arild November 23rd, 2009 8:54 am

@elan: Correct. I had a typo in the password. With the correct password everything went as it should!

Thanks for a nice plugin!

24. Sands November 23rd, 2009 9:46 am

This is beyond awesome! Just installed and trying out now :-) Thanks!

25. Steve Lewis November 23rd, 2009 10:43 am

I have the same problem as Arild. I get MSG_ERROR_AUTH_TITLE when I try to log in. I’ve checked my credentials several times and checked them in the plugin configuration file. I have a premium spotify account and 0.85 plex. Any idea?

26. elan November 23rd, 2009 11:45 am

@Jacob: We cache tracks locally, but there’s no provision for a pure offline mode at the moment.

27. elan November 23rd, 2009 11:48 am

@robert: As stated in the post, it’s a preview release, with glitches. That having been said, it’s working quite well for lots of people. If you head to the forums we’d be happy to discuss the issues :)

28. Tommy November 24th, 2009 10:35 am

Great!
    One small (?) issue though – I can’t seem to get the search to work when selecting the first matching entry it gives me a “web service error”. Only for the fist (best match) selection though.. Maybe this is already a reported bug !?

29. Easybee November 27th, 2009 1:09 am

I can’t get it to work. When it starts I only get an option to search or choose artist. And when I do it gives me an error message. I never see my playlists or anything…

30. Enrico November 29th, 2009 4:48 am

Excellent! However, there are still two problems for me.
    1) It worked fine for the first 10 minutes (I played songs from one of my playlists), and then: it plays 30 seconds of the selected track from a playlist, and immediately jumps to the subsequent one, it plays 30 seconds of it, jumps to… etc.
    2) I can play most of the artists that I get from a search, however some of them (e.g., Editors, or Arctic Monkeys) will not play!
    –e.

31. Allards December 1st, 2009 3:47 am

Tnx for this plugin, it’s not flawless nut it only can become better.

32. Torro December 10th, 2009 11:18 pm

I do hope there will be a version supporting non-premium Spotify membership

33. neckaros January 10th, 2010 1:15 am

Just one problem it seems:
    Some tracks are not available in France for exemple but they still appears with the plugins but create errors (“too many errors ‘had to stop”)
    Can you filter tracks depending of the country?

Anyway thanks for this awesome plugin!

34. Noah January 24th, 2010 10:15 am

There’s a project to bring Spotify to XBMC on http://spotyxbmc.tumblr.com/. I don’t know if this could be useful for PlexApp though.

35. Raymond Holm February 9th, 2010 12:04 pm

First, let me thank you! Great to finally have a Spotify plugin. Now I hopefully never will have to see the desktop again ;)
    However, I have the some of the same issues that others have mentioned:
    -If I start playing an album it plays the first song flawlessly, then plays ~10 seconds of the next song and then ~10 secs of the next one. Like the intro feature on the old cd-players.
    If I start playing one of the pre-defined playlists, like the Swedish top 40-list it freezes for 5-15 seconds then starts playing some other song, probably from the same chart. Not 100% sure on this tho.

This on a mac mini running OS X 10.5 and plex 0.85
    Here is a log file from Plex: http://www.4shared.com/file/218624776/85c0c432/Plex.html

36. Ben February 13th, 2010 6:48 am

This is a great app, but is there any likelihood of a shuffle feature being added? At the moment it only runs through playlists in order, unless I’m missing something?

37. Steve February 15th, 2010 3:30 am

I’ve tried this with the latest version of plex on a coupe of different Macs now. I have Spotify premium too but all I get is it locking up and then saying waiting for response. Its just never successfully connects. Triple checked my credentials.

38. elan February 15th, 2010 9:44 pm

@Ben: You can use the context menu (‘c’ key or hold menu on the Apple Remote) and then then select “Shuffle”)

39. elan February 15th, 2010 9:45 pm

@Raymond: Try turning off the crossfading in Preferences, there’s a known issue with that.

40. Jonas February 22nd, 2010 6:04 am

This looks most promising!
    But I’m having problem with the “Artist” mode. I can add artists using the context menu, but when chosing an album with that artist, the songs won’t play at all.
    Known isue?

41. Lion April 7th, 2010 2:05 am

Does UPnp server work with this plugin?

My XBox can’t seem to see my Premium account playlists, or anything at all.

Thanks.

42. Tony May 8th, 2010 3:05 am

This it the best musicplayer ever.
    I really miss to use though the new spotify client is needed in PLEX to be able to use it.

I hope you guys figure it out.

Much appreciated!
    Keep up the good work!

43. Marcel June 8th, 2010 11:32 am

For everybody that got here through Google and is wondering about the current status of the Spotify plugin: read this message on the Plex forums.

44. Martin May 15th, 2011 10:59 am

I cannot even find the Spotify plug-in? I am running on a UK VPN and BBC etc shows up.
    Where can i find the plug-in?

45. Sven-Ake June 2nd, 2012 8:13 pm

I’m using Sporify Premium without problems on the Mac-mini, iPad and iPhone but as soon as I try login to Spotify in Plex I get “authitentication details missing”. Spotify support referer to that I’m using swedish characters in my username. That’s correct but I thought it would work since Plex is configured as swedish in Plex settings. I have the latest versions of PMC and PMS. What have I done wrong?