Beware the new Flash 10.1 beta - Plex Blog

Beware the new Flash 10.1 beta

| 17 Nov 2009 | by 13 Comments

There’s a new beta out of Flash, which adds nice things like hardware H.264 decoding. Unfortunately, it also seems to not play nicely with the Media Server at the moment when using WebKit plug-ins. We’re investigating, but recommend not installing it for the moment. Caveat emptor.

1. Jeff November 17th, 2009 10:29 am

Looks like hardware H.264 decoding is only for Windows.

2. OwlBoy November 17th, 2009 11:52 am

A post on TUAW says that it still has improvements for playing back flash video in hardware mode.

For some things, just downloading the video file too fast can slow things down in flash. Like full speed on at 10 meg connection. But the same video might play fine at 1/4 of that speed.

At least this is what I experience.

3. wally007 November 18th, 2009 7:38 am

I was just gonna ask about hw decoding … really glad Adobe is focusing on optimizing horribly unoptimized Flash for mac , NOT.

4. WS November 19th, 2009 2:30 pm

Really? Adobe released another program riddled with possible bugs? Are your sources on this accurate Elan. I just really find it hard to believe Adobe would be so inept at coding, especially when it comes to decade old software…

5. elan November 19th, 2009 3:35 pm

@WS, you might enjoy this: http://adobegripes.tumblr.com/

6. Alex November 23rd, 2009 10:21 am

When is this going to be fixed in plex??? it may be a bug in 10.1 flash. but I like flash 10.1 and dont want to uninstall it. plex is the only app with issues. ETA on fix?

7. elan November 23rd, 2009 11:51 am

@Alex: When the final Flash 10.1 is released (it’s currently just a beta) then we’ll likely look into it. Until then, you’ll have to choose between running a beta release of a product, or using Plex with WebKit content.

8. mausdesign January 11th, 2010 6:54 am

Thank You! This solved my problem with not getting video with a number of the plugins on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.2.

To go back to the earlier version, you have to use the Flash Uninstaller to get rid of the beta:

Then you can install the older “release” version that works great.

9. Michael October 2nd, 2010 12:18 pm

Yep, that solved my problems as well!
    I really had problems viewing streaming video using SVT Play, TV4 Play, etc, and I was about to almost give up when I saw this post. Reverting to Flash 10.0.45.2 solved all there is to it. Pls try to fix this in upcoming releases of Plex (or get rid of Flash dependency). It is really hard to track down the issue and find a solution!

Thanks a lot!

10. Morriz December 7th, 2010 10:31 am

First of all, thanks a lot for sharing an awesome media server with us.
    But it’s been almost over a year, and it seems nothing has happened with development regarding flash support.
    I can’t watch several flash websites using 10.0 :(

Any plans for making plex work with the upcoming flash 10.2? Or are you still making us stay with 10.0? I surely hope not…

11. Ed July 21st, 2012 10:23 pm

Anything new about this? I just came back home after a few months away from my Mini. I started updating apps and forgot about this old problem so I updated Flash. Is there any solution? It’s 2012 now…

12. elan July 21st, 2012 10:26 pm

@Ed: Newer releases have solved this issue :)

13. Ed July 22nd, 2012 1:37 am

Thanks Elan. I actually updated Plex to the newest version as soon as I came back home but that didn’t do the trick. What helped was updating the Media Server separately. Before I seem to remember that the Media Server was updated when I updated Plex. Anyway, it’s working now!