Plex 0.8.3: Let it Snow (Leopard)! - Plex Blog

Plex 0.8.3: Let it Snow (Leopard)!

| 26 Oct 2009 | by 106 Comments

UPDATE: IOSPIRIT has resolved the issue with the Candelair driver causing issues with Leopard booting. New driver version is up on their site and will be available via built-in update shortly.

We realize it’s been a little while since the last release, but hopefully the wait will have been worth it. We’re thrilled to serve you up a fresh new version of Plex (download here) with lots of bug-fixes and a few little enhancements. First up, the fixes:

[French users, be sure to read through oncleben31's blog post on the new scraper included in this release here.]

• FIX: On Snow Leopard, 5.1 audio had issues. We’ve cleaned up the code, fixed the problems, and it now runs great on 10.6. Many thanks to Ryan for all his work on this one.
  • FIX: We fixed an issue with the new caching system that could cause some MKVs and other files to stutter when played over the network.
  • FIX: Video playlists work again.
  • FIX: Multi-part videos display thumbnails again.
  • FIX: Crash reading GPS EXIF data from photos.
  • FIX: Fix for crash when displaying subtitles (Thanks, Billy J!)
  • FIX: A few crashes in the Media Server (custom iTunes genre artwork, and playing Netflix movies).
  • FIX: First WebKit play on a fresh install didn’t work.
  • FIX: App Store would sometimes not show up on a fresh install.
  • FIX: GForce visualizer for iTunes causes Plex to crash.
  • FIX: TVDB image issue (thanks to Poldi!)
  • FIX: Posters issue in IMDB scraper (thanks, Jay!) and issue with cast lists (thanks to Todd G!)
  • FIX: DTS downmixing method reverted to use libdts. People who listen on headphone *may* be happier.
  • FIX: Make keyboard backlight feature optional (James). You can access this setting in the advanced Cocoa preferences area under the Videos tab.

To summarize, Plex should now work pretty well on Snow Leopard, and hopefully most of the annoyances and issues in the last release have been fixed. Moving right along, what other tasty nuggets await in this new release?

• NEW: James revamped the Plex shutdown options, adding a beautiful UI that allows quitting, sleeping, or powering off after a specified time. Check out the screencast below to see it in action. Press ‘s’ anywhere in Plex to go directly to the Quit menu. On the Quit menu, press ‘c’ on the keyboard or hold the Play button on the Apple Remote to bring up the quit timer. There are also options to Sleep and Shutdown in the Quit submenu. Press ‘c’ or hold Play on the apple remote with Sleep or Shutdown selected brings up the timers for both of those as well.
  • NEW: One of the longest-running complaints about Plex has been the low volume when listening to downmixed 5.1 audio. We’ve added three levels of dynamic range compression (in Preferences > System > Audio): Normal, Large, and Huge. These settings apply only to AC3 and DTS downmixed audio, and the Large and Huge settings can introduce (usually subliminal) clipping. This one is for you, Aayush!
  • NEW: Captions for iPhoto photos, and EXIF comment tag also used for captions.
  • NEW: We’re using Felix’s new Apple Remote code (thanks to Evan for integrating it!). This provides, as Apple would say “improved compatibility”.
  • NEW: Toggle full screen option on dock menu (thanks to Billy Joe).

Along this release comes a new improved version of the Plex Media Framework used to write plug-ins, and enhancements to the Plex Media Server itself.

• NEW: Support for one-click install of plug-ins. You can now easily install plug-ins off the web without having to copy files all over the place.
    Plug-in Installer.jpg
  • NEW: Support for auto-refresh in directories.
  • NEW: Context menus in plug-ins.
  • NEW: The ability for the HTTP cache to auto-update itself.
  • NEW: Rating support for plug-ins, with support for community/system ratings as well as user ratings. This feature was used to great effect by David B in the upcoming update of our Netflix plug-in. Here’s an unrated movie and us rating it via the context menu item.

And here’s the movie with our rating.

foo.jpg
  • NEW: Upgrade Plex WebKit libraries to 4.0.3.
  • NEW: Allow passing back User Agent (makes Apple Movie Trailers work again).

As has become custom in these parts, Barkley sends his greetings.

Aperture-1.jpg

1. Nick Dawson October 26th, 2009 9:29 am

So many great fixes and enhancements – thanks to the devs for working so hard to get SL support!

2. Ron P October 26th, 2009 9:41 am

The wait’s worth it, now I never have to use boxee again.
    Yay

3. Jernomer October 26th, 2009 9:44 am

Fantastic release! Thanks to all the people who helped get this release out there. Good job.

4. gwendibbley October 26th, 2009 9:47 am

Thank you so so much!

5. Ron P October 26th, 2009 9:49 am

There’s still the problem with the colors in the menus looking awful on the intel graphics in the macbook, to let everyone know.

6. zao October 26th, 2009 9:53 am

It sure was a while, but thanks a lot team! Great update. Looking forward to 0.9 :)

7. elan October 26th, 2009 9:54 am

@Ron: As far as I know, that’s a graphics driver problem, hopefully fixed in OS X 10.6.2.

8. AshTemple October 26th, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks for the great app!

9. Merrin October 26th, 2009 9:54 am

DVD Playback?

10. kheops October 26th, 2009 10:15 am

thanks so much for this great new release!
    Love you guys!

11. wally007 October 26th, 2009 10:15 am

new library ? haha just kidding. Fixes just about everything that i thought was broken. Great. Is new shutdown menu easy to incorporate into other skins ? I must say it DOES look VERY cool. I was very unhappy with .8.2 version taking out timed quit/sleep but this more than makes up for it.

12. kheops October 26th, 2009 10:16 am

thanks a lot for this great piece of software!
    You guys are the best!

13. gmichels October 26th, 2009 10:17 am

Thanks for another update, but to be sure, I’d like to know if I still need to install Candelair on SL to get the Apple Remote working as it should, or if only Plex 0.8.3 will work without issues.

14. wally007 October 26th, 2009 10:20 am

Also , one important question .. how does sleep timer work ? Lets say i have set up sleep timer to quit at 2pm but my movie ends at 1:30pm and i’ve set sleep system after inactivity to 5 minutes… which sleep timer has higher priority ? ( i’d think sleep system after inactivity , but i’m just making sure )

15. Elvis October 26th, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the update! Can`t wait for my new iMac to install it on :)

16. AshTemple October 26th, 2009 10:53 am

I’ve just reloaded my movie libary and its still missing 70% of thumbs, gutted… am i doing something wrong?

17. Hooman October 26th, 2009 11:19 am

Fantastic! Thanks for all the hard work – Plex rules!

18. xain09 October 26th, 2009 11:37 am

So far all seems fine again under 10.6. Thanx dudes ;)

19. 100tral October 26th, 2009 11:38 am

Merci pour cette merveilleuse et indispensable application :-)

20. elan October 26th, 2009 11:53 am

@100tral: de rien!

21. Igor T. October 26th, 2009 11:57 am

This is the greatest piece of software I’ve ever laid my eyes on. Great job impressing us all guys! Keep on rocking!

22. Patrick October 26th, 2009 11:57 am

@ gmichels

Plex asks you to install Candelair if you don’t already have it installed. I guess you need to have it for things to work properly with Plex.

Oui, merci beaucoup pour l’application, c’est super et evidement indispensable!

23. Palleraa October 26th, 2009 12:14 pm

What a great gift for my birthday :) I can now say goodbye to Remote Buddy and Aurora. Great :)

24. Me October 26th, 2009 12:16 pm

Well, have a bit of a problem, when I get the message about the apple remote it doesn’t matter where I click it will redirect me to the page for the download, and I cant get rid of that messages. >.<

25. elan October 26th, 2009 12:23 pm

@Palleraa: Hold down the Play button on the Apple Remote.

26. Nik October 26th, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks for the update!! I’m hoping the graphics problem (above in comments) will be fixed in 10.6.2.

27. slover1011 October 26th, 2009 12:42 pm

What timing! Heading out the door to pick up my 2.66 GHz Mac Mini Parcel from the FedEx depot! :-D

28. luigi October 26th, 2009 12:43 pm

Please, help me! I just installed this version..and it worked good..but reading your notes “..One note: we recommend using the Candelair driver even on Leopard, because it can help resolve cases in which the Apple Remote loses exclusive access with the Apple driver. ..”, maybe with no attention..I did it, I installed the Candelair drivers..but I don’t have SNOW Leopard, but the previus release..so now my Mini Mac doesn’t start anymore! I have the initial “stop” signal..and nothing happen, even turning off the Mac. What can I do now? Can you help me? thanks a lot…

29. goose October 26th, 2009 12:50 pm

Great work Plex team, will the hold play to invoke quite/sleep feature work on harmony remotes too?

30. justinhcb October 26th, 2009 12:54 pm

thanks for all the hard work lads TOP STUFF !!

31. Atrus October 26th, 2009 1:07 pm

I had the same problem and it is easier to solve than it seems. Pop in your Leopard install CD, and choose “Archive and Install”. It will overwrite your damaged system files and let you back in to your computer =) (You will not loose any files by doing this).
    Im starting to believe that it might be the candelair driver, but Im not sure.

32. Oncleben31 October 26th, 2009 1:12 pm

Thanks to the dev team ! Plex rocks !

33. cd October 26th, 2009 1:38 pm

Thank you so much to all who worked on this!!! It works AWESOME for me!

34. sleake October 26th, 2009 2:28 pm

elan, et al.

You folks rock! Thanks for all you do to keep this rolling. I love Plex and each time you have a new release, there is something fixed/enhanced/added that just makes it better. Your efforts don’t go unappreciated!

I’m going to give this new one a try tonight.

35. maersk October 26th, 2009 2:31 pm

Thankx to the team who made it possible to let my girlfriend keep her mouth (she was speechless) and thats a compliment to all developers of Plex. And for the moment she’s still i want to thank every team member for their hard and awesome work, you guys rock.

36. Todd G October 26th, 2009 3:42 pm

I am still having a problem with IMDB posters – is no one else? For instance this movie is in my library: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2571279616/tt0101414

As you can see it has 56 posters available there – but when I browse – I only see one. Am I missing something?

37. puithove October 26th, 2009 3:44 pm

Sweet! Thanks devs!

38. sekati October 26th, 2009 6:17 pm

Kudo’s guys; keep up the great work!

39. Felix Schwarz October 26th, 2009 9:51 pm

@ luigi, Atrus:

The Candelair driver has been tested extensively under different Leopard releases on different Intel machines with IR Receiver with no issues so far.

Apart from one support inquiry regarding a hang during boot I haven’t received any reports of issues. And in the case of that one inquiry, it turned out to be caused by a CiscoVPN kernel extension (whose boot issues under Leopard are well documented by a quick Google search) and not the Candelair driver, which wasn’t even loaded at that point during boot.

While it’s very unlikely that the Candelair driver is giving you this issue, I’d still like to get to the bottom of this to see what is happening on your systems. Please get in touch via http://www.iospirit.com/contact/ .

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Felix Schwarz

40. oncleben31 October 26th, 2009 9:58 pm

I love the new application icon with Barkley !

And just to add an information to the patch note. The new movies scraper Ciné-passion is available to English speaking users too : http://oncleben31.cc/en/2009/10/cine-passion-a-new-scraper-for-plex-and-xbmc/

41. Andreas October 26th, 2009 10:56 pm

The Munu button on the Apple remote wont longer take me up one level, instead it show some kind of Munu. Is this how it should be now, or is it a bug. If this is how it should be, how do I access one higher level (esc button on keyboard)?

42. T2af October 26th, 2009 11:38 pm

Thanx guys … amazing work .. been looking forward to this.
    Cheers

43. surreal October 27th, 2009 12:26 am

In order to update the posters, do I have to nuke the library and start over?

44. mbdc October 27th, 2009 12:58 am

Thank you so much for putting all the hours into this. Easily the best free App going! Put off installing Snow Leopard just to wait for this release.

45. luigi October 27th, 2009 1:28 am

@ Felix, Atrus
    Hi, thanks for the attention and sorry for the bad english..
    of course I can’t be sure the probem was Calendair driver, only it happened after installing and rebooting, maybe I was just unluky..
    Anyway, as Atrus said, I reinstalled the OS from CD, but before I had to reset the PRAM and desconect the power cord, as the installer din’t see the HD!!..big fear..I’m a new Mac user, but I had to learn very fast!
    Now everything is working well..but honestly I removed the driver..
    Now that I know how to do, I’ll try again to install Calendair and I’ll report to you. If you need more information, please tell me.I have an Intel Mac Mini of 3 mounths with OS 10.5.8.
    Thanks a lot to you and all Plex team..great job..

46. faibistes October 27th, 2009 2:16 am

I’m running one of the latest series 7 version (it wasn’t broken, so why update…) Does the new version handle my existing library/settings without effort? Or do I have to delete them, go through the settings and rescan the library?

47. vadius45 October 27th, 2009 3:11 am

many thanks to the Plex team for this new release, it rocks.

Also, please note that the “french” scraper Ciné-Passion does speak english as well (see settings). Give it a try and report any issue to http://passion-xbmc.org/scraper-cine-passion-english-support/

48. Palleraa October 27th, 2009 3:46 am

@Andreas. I have the exact same problem. I also still have the problem described earlier.

“One thing though. The “play/pause” button on my Apple remote will not evoke the timer menu’s. The “c” key will however. Everything else regarding the remote seems to work.”

And yes. I have tryed holding the play button down.

49. Lars October 27th, 2009 7:03 am

I’m having the same problem as Andreas. Did not install Candelair plugin because of the warnings. Remote worked fine before.

What now? This kinda sucks.

50. Lars October 27th, 2009 7:10 am

Anyone have a working link to 0.8.2? I’m going to downgrade since the Apple Remote doesn’t work (I hear the clicks there’s just no advancement. The menu button does not make a clicking sound so I guess it’s dead).

51. faibistes October 27th, 2009 7:14 am

I’m running version 0.7.12-fcd68fd. If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it. But the volume boost has conviced me to upgrade. Can I keep my preferences, library… or must I delete Application Support/Plex, rescan the library and customize my preferences?

52. jason October 27th, 2009 9:34 am

So when installing the new remote driver it seems to break native apple control of itunes and other volume settings that are not plex. Will we see a remote solution that works for both apple and plex?

53. elan October 27th, 2009 10:03 am

@jason: If you choose to configure Plex to have the helper “Always Running” then a priori it has to take exclusive control of it. If you want to use the Apple Remote with iTunes et. al. then disable the Always Running option and you’ll need to start Plex manually. Unfortunately there’s no way around this.

54. elan October 27th, 2009 10:05 am

@faibistes: You should be able to keep both Plex.app’s side by side and run one followed by the other. It’s always best to make a backup of the Plex/Plex Media Server Application Support directory just to be absolutely sure, but it shouldn’t be a problem.

55. elan October 27th, 2009 10:08 am

@Lars: You can try rebooting the machine or reinstalling, but I haven’t heard of this problem before. If you really want to try reverting, the last release can be found at http://plexapp.com/releases/Plex-v0.8.2.dmg

56. elan October 27th, 2009 10:09 am

@Lars: Under Snow Leopard, install Candelair without fear. Under Leopard, it’s not needed, but should work fine.

57. Vini October 27th, 2009 10:33 am

Just updated three week old Leopard (10.5.8) install, with all updates, from Plex 0.8.2 to 0.8.3 and installing Candelair. After reboot getting No Entry sign.

Can’t just be coincidence! Why is Candelair now being bundled? SL Users?

58. Bjornar Kibsgaard October 27th, 2009 10:41 am

I just want to leave a note saying thank you for all the hard work you put in. Plex is one of the best media center solutions I have tried personally, and I have tried a bunch of them.

Keep up the good work!

This is software I would gladly pay for.

59. Lars October 27th, 2009 10:51 am

@Elan: Hm, I’m still under Leopard 10.5.8 so then simply installing should not have disabled my Remote like this, right? I went back to 0.8.2 and the Remote functionality is back.

With the 0.8.2 installer I can try 0.8.3 again without too much hassle. I tried both an upgrade with Sparkle and the full installer but the Apple Remote quits under 0.8.3.

Will try again in a bit and report back failure or success.

60. DyStiC October 27th, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks for this update! been looking forward for this for awhile. Apple trailers still don’t work, also already visited Appstore to update the plugin but that didn’t help.

61. elan October 27th, 2009 10:56 am

@Vini: I’ve let the developer know. We’re not bundling the driver, but it’s required for correct operation of the Apple Remote under Snow Leopard. We’ve had about three reports of this issue with many thousands of installs, so it’s for sure a very rare thing. In any event, I apologize if it turns out that Candelair had anything to do with the issue. One other user who ran into the problem did an Archive and Install and everything was restored to working condition without any loss. By chance do you have any CiscoVPN installed on that machine?

62. elan October 27th, 2009 11:02 am

@Lars: I haven’t heard of this issue before. In a worst case scenario you can copy the PlexHelper from 0.8.2 into 0.8.3 (run 0.8.2, copy ~/L/AS/Plex/PlexHelper away, then copy it back after running 0.8.3)

63. elan October 27th, 2009 11:02 am

@DyStiC: It may be a regional issue, seems to work fine for other people.

64. Fabian October 27th, 2009 11:45 am

I’m having exactly the same issue as Lars. My Apple Remote isn’t working properly although i’ve installed candelair and the latest version of plex.

65. Vini October 27th, 2009 12:59 pm

@elan; nothing on the machine other than the Leopard Updates and Plex… I’m trying to dig out my Leopard CD to try Archive & Install.

I actually downgraded from SL due to jerky videos and issues with Plex 0.8.2 under SL. Are those issues fixed in 0.8.3?

66. Hendricus October 27th, 2009 1:03 pm

Tnx. Gonna give it a go soon :)

67. sekati October 27th, 2009 1:26 pm

@Felix, Plex

Im sorry to report I just had the same experience as Luigi/others; Leopard Mac Mini working well with Remote Buddy & Plex 0.8.2:

I let Remote Buddy do its auto-update and then installed Plex 0.8.3 and now my previously perfectly functioning Mini wont boot: there is definitely something going on here; please advise asap.

68. Frodo October 27th, 2009 3:44 pm

I had problems with the remote after the sparkle upgrade. However a reboot solved this. It has happened to me several times after upgrade. Seems to be a common issue.

I did not installed candelair. And this is on Leopard 10.5.8.

69. Karam October 27th, 2009 6:10 pm

Just wanted to tell you thank you!

70. elan October 27th, 2009 6:55 pm

@Vini: I haven’t heard of “jerky videos” in Snow Leopard – which I just mistyped as “Slow Leopard” :-)

71. Mando October 27th, 2009 8:26 pm

@elan, @felix et. al.

Add me to the list of non-booting leopard system caused by candelair. nothing special about my macmini…sole purpose is for plex use.

just installed the Candelair IR driver and now I’m in the non-booting scenario defined above. This is after the “all ok” was given to go ahead and install the driver. Of course, I don’t have a keyboard here to uninstall the driver. Luckily, my “main” system is still on .8.2. I think I’ll go back to 8.2 when I get my other system “restored.” Man…this sux big time :(

Also, when I was running 8.3 without installing candelair, my harmony remote would work fine for awhile. Then, Plex would ignore the ir commands. i could use the xbmc portal and manage my viewing experience there, but the remote became unresponsive.

if i can help, please ask.

I do wanna stress this though….PLEX DOES ROCK STILL!! :D

72. RobM October 27th, 2009 8:59 pm

I also was unable to reboot after installing Candelair.
    Mac Mini running 10.5.8. When installing Candelair, I chose the option to install into just the current account. After install was complete, I ran Plex once and then quit Plex and attempted to reboot.

73. Felix Schwarz October 27th, 2009 10:01 pm

@ luigi:
    Thanks for the update. I can assure you that Candelair doesn’t touch, use or have anything to do with the PRAM of Macs.

Regarding the effects of an archive+install of Leopard:
    An archive+install actually also copies over any installed drivers from the previously installed Mac OS, which, in this case, would also include the Candelair driver.

So, after you do an archive+install of Leopard, the Candelair driver is still installed and used during boot. This leaves me with the following observations:

1) “Old” system with Candelair installed. System doesn’t boot up.
    2) “New” system with Candelair installed. System boots up.

This leads me to the logical conclusion, that the cause of the issue can’t have been the Candelair driver (which, if it would have been, would have to keep the system from booting in observation two, too), but that most likely something else wasn’t right in the system. After all, all that’s different between 1) and 2) is that the system’s files – none of which is changed by the Candelair driver – were brought back to their original state.

Information that’d be of great interest to me:
    1) Did you uninstall the driver using the Candelair preference pane?

2) When you reinstall the driver: does the issue re-occur? (if yes, please drop me a mail via http://www.iospirit.com/contact/, so I can send you instructions on how to collect valuable debug information)

3) Have you been using any “system enhancers” or “tweaking tools” like Onyx or the like?

4) Have you modified/renamed/removed any system files by hand in the past?

@ sekati:
    Please contact me via http://www.iospirit.com/contact/ and I’ll send you a set of instructions that’ll help you and me to locate the root of the issue on your system as well as show you options to remove the driver and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance to both of you.

Best regards,
    Felix Schwarz

74. Arno October 27th, 2009 10:58 pm

Same problem here I’m afraid. After installing new Plex v0.8.3 and Candelair on Leopard my Mac mini doesn’t boot anymore. Getting the prohibited sign.

75. name required October 28th, 2009 12:09 am

0.8.3 seems to have stopped all the dreadful clipping i was getting with audio in 0.8.2

76. P4k3 October 28th, 2009 12:36 am

Am I the only one that experiences crashes? My plex is just shutting down with no error message at random. It can be in the middle of playing a video or when it’s idleing in the menu.

Someone know how to fix this?

77. Jeroen October 28th, 2009 3:47 am

You guys rock! Thanks a lot for this update.

78. interconnect October 28th, 2009 7:57 am

release notes on the main page point to 0.8.2

79. Jeroen October 28th, 2009 11:36 am

Quick question: The update went well, i installed the Candelair driver but found that the functionality of the remote has changed.

When in the Plex menu’s the menu button always took me ‘up’ one menu-level in previous versions of Plex. Now it does nothing, or in some menu’s bring op the option menu (also found by pressing ‘c’).

When watching a movie, the + and – buttons no longer change the volume, but make you jump forward something like 5 minutes.

Is there a way to make it work just like the old Plex?

80. RobM October 28th, 2009 11:58 am

@Felix,
    After doing the Archive+Install, the Candelair preference pane was still there but it was again asking to install the driver which makes me think that your Observation #2 is incorrect…the re-install must nuke the Candelair driver somehow. Also, the “New” system is 10.5.6 because that is what came with my Mini Mac. The “old” system was at 10.5.8 at the time when I installed the Candelair driver.
    … if any of that helps.

81. Mirkuma October 28th, 2009 11:59 am

QUOTE:
    Andreas October 26th, 2009 10:56 pm

END OF QUOTE

Same problem here! Didn’t install Candelair, runing 10.5.8.
    Menu button on Apple remote no longer bring you one level back in the menu, ESC key still works.
    Please look at this please!

82. Michael October 28th, 2009 6:22 pm

Thank you again for another release.

For some reason Plex is still crashing when playing music about 1 second after the GForce visualizer starts. I think I’d already upgraded to SL when I reported the problem with .82 Bummer.

Other than that it’s seems pretty solid =)

83. Brandon October 28th, 2009 7:02 pm

Awesome news. So glad, can’t wait to update to SL now!

Also, pleeeeease fix the Pandora plugin.
    Boxee’s is sooo much better. The only thing better really.

But again so happy to hear about the fixes!

84. Mirkuma October 28th, 2009 7:54 pm

EDIT:
    About the menu level up/back problem with remote.
    Copying PlexHelper from 0.8.2 release to USER/Library/Application Support/Plex and overwrite 0.8.3 PlexHelper fixed the problem!
    This solution was suggested in Plex forum!

85. Otto October 28th, 2009 9:04 pm

Wow! It works great here in snow leopard. Thanks for all your hard work.

86. MHx October 29th, 2009 12:00 am

Great work guys.

I was still running Plex 0.8.2 on OSX 10.5 and used both the Apple and Harmony 525 remote and had no problems.
    Yesterday I upgraded Plex and had the same problem as described above, after some time the remote wasn’t working anymore!!! Also the installed apps where disappeared from the video and audio menus. After a reboot of the OSX they reappeared (and the remote is still working).
    If the remote issue is solved within PLEX (or OSX), then I will upgrade to 10.6

Thanks for making the best mediaplayer even better.

87. Felix Schwarz October 29th, 2009 12:34 am

@ luigi, sekati, Atrus, Mando:

– The cause

Thanks to your support and the photos some of you sent in, I’ve been able to isolate the issue down to a single entry in the Info.plist of the Candelair driver:

OSBundleRequired = Console

This entry tells the system that the driver should be loaded early. On the systems on which the boot issue turned up, it was loaded too early, it seems (which in turn seems to depend on the order in which drivers are read in, which in turn appears to be dependent on the filesystem – which explains, why the issue disappeared after archive+install: after that, the Candelair driver was the last addition to the driver folder). The code execution just stopped at a simple memory allocation.

I removed said entry from the Info.plist and sent a new version to those of you who got in touch by email. The feedback was positive: it did resolve the issue in all cases.

The issue affected less than 0.07% of users using Candelair under OS 10.5 (using the download numbers from browsers running 10.5 systems and the number of affected people I’m aware of).

So, although I’ve been testing Candelair extensively and carefully on 6 different systems under 8 different OS releases prior to release (and additional tests have been made by betatesters), my chances were very slim (1 : 1430) to actually encounter the issue myself and find it prior to release. Nonetheless, I’d like to apologize for the inconveniences caused. To avoid even such rare issues in the future, I intend to put an infrastructure into place that allows me to increase the number of betatesters.

– A new version

A new version of Candelair (version 1.0.2 / driver version 1.7.2) – which has its Info.plist corrected and no longer has the issue – is already online for about 12 hours by now and will also be available via the built-in updater, shortly.

– How to restore booting

Last, but not least, here are the instructions for those affected to return to a booting system:

1) Boot into single user mode following the instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492

2) when you arrive at the “:/ root#” prompt, type in
    rm -Ri /System/Library/Extensions/RBIOKitHelper.kext
    and confirm the deletion of the files located at and within /System/Library/Extensions/RBIOKitHelper.kext.

3) when done, type in
    reboot

4) Your Mac will now reboot. Let is start up normally without pressing any keys during startup.

5) When reinstalling the Candelair driver, please be sure you’re at 1.0.2 (driver version 1.7.2) or later. You can find both version numbers by pressing on the “About” button in the Candelair preference pane.

Best regards,
    Felix Schwarz

88. Vini October 29th, 2009 1:30 am

Guys, given I only had Plex on my 10.5.8 install, I decided to give SL another shot, so didn’t bother with Archive & Install.

Instead I opted for clean SL install. Updated to 10.6.1 and installed 0.8.3 WITH Candelair.

All seems ok now!

I run a Mac Mini with Intel GM450. I tried SL previously (before 10.6.1) with Plex 0.8.2 and the Video playback was not smooth at all! Hence me saying “Jerky Videos”. There were a lot of threads in the Plex forum discussing this at the time.

As said above 10.6.1 & Plex 0.8.3 seems to play perfectly now.

89. Preacher October 29th, 2009 2:55 am

Thanks for the update!! it´s really works very good!!

Muchas gracias por la actualización,… funciona el remote perfectamente

Hi from Spain!!
    Saludos desde España!!

90. Andrew October 29th, 2009 6:18 am

Thanks very much for fixing the DTS downmixing (well, at least, apparently, haven’t yet tried it) as well as getting rid of the awful automatic keyboard backlight disabling.

One thing I would like to see is for Plex to be able to just use the current audio device, rather than changing it to the one it last used (ie: the one set within Plex), this frequently causes my whole computer to switch devices if I’m currently using one other than what I was using when last running Plex and requires that I manually change it both in the system and in Plex.

Further, changing the audio device is now easy in 10.6, as it can be done quickly by just option-clicking the sound icon in the menubar.

91. luigi October 29th, 2009 12:08 pm

@ Felix
    Hi, sorry, I could see your answers just now..different timezone..:-)
    I installed the nex Calendair driver and everything is working well, no problems with the reboot..
    Don’t worry, I, and I think all Plex users, don’t forget you, and the Plex team, are working for free…so…the only thing I can say is..thank you very very much. Bye

92. Danny Z October 29th, 2009 3:05 pm

I’m seeing much improved playback of 1080p content (12-15MBit/sec) on my Macbook 2.0Ghz. I was not able to smoothly playback these videos prior to this update so I am very much pleased! Example is a Gladiator 1080p rip that weighs in at 12.92GB can now be played on this machine, whereas before I had to use my other 2.4GHz macbook to play 1080p stuff reliably. Also, I am not using the h264 speed boost at all as it is not needed.

93. Greg L October 29th, 2009 9:18 pm

@Felix,

One of the reason only .07% of Leopard users have reported problems may be due to two factors; not realizing the CandleAir driver is the cause of the non-booting Macs, and not having a second working computer.

After spending hours trying to get my iMac working, I started shopping for new hard drives. It was only by chance I went to the Plex site and discovered others had non-booting Leopard Macs after installing CandleAir.

After more Leopard users make the non-booting connection, your reported problem numbers will go up. I’m posting instead of emailing because the Iospirit contact site has crashed.

I’m still unable to restore booting, even after following your excellent instructions The problem is that my drive is completely unresponsive. Can’t boot from CD, can’t boot into single user mode, can’t boot into Target drive. Do you have any other methods you can suggest?

Thanks so much for explaining the situation and stepping in to help those of us with non-booting Leopard Macs. Iospirit is still one of my favorite developers. And Plex has transformed the way I watch media.

94. luigi October 30th, 2009 12:58 am

@ Greg,
    I had the same problem re-installing from the cd, it dint’t see the HD! I don’t kwnow why, but I resolved reseting the PRAM (with a Windows keyboard booting with Win-Alt-P-R presseded, see Mac manual for Apple keyboard) and disconecting the power cord for a few. After this, the OS intaller could see the HD e reboot again. I didn’t loose anaything..just some setting..
    Hope it was usefull

95. Greg L October 30th, 2009 9:25 am

@luigi,
    Thanks! That worked perfectly. For some reason two Apple keyboards refused to reset the PRAM. Pulled out an old Microsoft keyboard and PRAM reset was simple. Booting into single user mode stopped at “waiting for device”. But since the system could see the HD, I was able to do an Archive and Install from OS X DVD. Had to spend some time manually restoring my user account and logging in as root:

But all is well now. That was very useful. Thanks so much.

96. MSouza November 1st, 2009 5:34 am

I have the same problem that LARS has… My Apple Remote is working using the up/down/left/right/ but when press menu i have no response. :( Nothing. :( I’ve installed Calendair but i am not on Snow yet. I’ve found that my boot time takes AGES now after installing Calendair…

I will disable calendair and try again, but the remote Menu button don’t acts anymore on my plex 0.8.3

97. elan November 1st, 2009 11:16 am

If you’re having trouble with the remote and menu button, please visit this forum post http://tr.im/DPZz and paste in the terminal output from the helper. Thanks!

98. Marcelo November 2nd, 2009 2:23 pm

Ok. My Fault. I’ve just uninstalled Calendair from Osx (Not Snow Leopard), and the Menu button and boot apear to work as espected again. :)

99. Daz November 3rd, 2009 7:07 am

Great~~~ u are the best player out there as i known for now. Wish in continuing future too!
    But one issue, why I experience RMVB movie not as smooth as on other player?

thanks =)

100. Henrik Wallinder November 3rd, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks for fixing the DTS downmix issue :)

101. jon November 4th, 2009 11:10 am

has anyone else lost the theme tunes to their tv series since the upgrade. if not does anyone know how to re-enable them?
    thanks

102. Mike November 8th, 2009 11:52 am

Hey Thank you for this great effort to get the bugs away, I havent tested this realease but Im pretty sure I will run flawlessly on my new mac.

great job here!!

Mike

103. Anthony November 13th, 2009 2:13 am

So, I tried to use plex in the past, and it had too many bugs, and just didn’t work with my media setup. But this week I opened it up again, downloaded updates, and I’m AMAZED! This is an amazing piece of software and I am HUGELY Grateful for all the contributions and work you have done! Thank you!

104. Hanibal November 14th, 2009 1:13 am

First, thank you so much for your hardworking to realize the new great version of Plex! :-*

I’m Vietnamese and I hope you will work on fixing the problems about display Vietnamese subtitle (*.SRT file) – Encoding: UTF-8.

Thanks in advances ^^

105. mike November 24th, 2009 5:13 pm

I downloaded and installed 8.5 but i still cannot get the app store to work. What can i look at? I have manually removed all of the plex related folders but still no luck. Folder permissions look good too.

106. joe November 28th, 2009 9:36 am

I have a app-store menu entry but this gets me to the applications (dvd player, front row, …) How can I reset this to the default behaviour?