Release 0.8.1: Crazy Delicious - Plex Blog

Release 0.8.1: Crazy Delicious

| 22 May 2009 | by 63 Comments

Remember how when Windows 3.0 came out, it really sucked, and it wasn’t until 3.1 that Microsoft got things right? Well, I’d like to think of this release (download here) as being the “Windows 3.1″ release of Plex. We’ve fixed a lot of issues, and this version should be much more stable than the previous one. Additionally, the people who were staying with v0.7.13 because of issues with BluRay rips in subsequent versions can now download this version without fear.

• FIX: Idle CPU reduced greatly. On an iMac we went from 24% to around 9.8%. On a 1.83GHz Mini we went from 38% to 16%. Al Gore is happy.
  • FIX: Hang when playing WebKit content after 5.1 content.
  • FIX: A few issues causing App Store/plug-ins to disappear.
  • FIX: Hang on exit (when Media Server Scrobbler was enabled).
  • FIX: Cannot play/browse AC/DC (and other artists with funky names) from the iTunes library. Heavy metal fans rejoice!
  • FIX: Scrobbling plays of AAC files to the Plex Media Server wasn’t working.
  • FIX: Crash on start when Plex Media Server was run on a computer without Plex.
  • FIX: Intermittant lack of audio when starting 5.1 videos when background music/themes was enabled. (We also disabling the fading, which was not helping.)
  • FIX: VC-1 apparent regression in ffmpeg 0.5 which caused much higher CPU usage and related problems. Ryan and I resolved it by reverting to an earlier version of the codec. Thanks to Peter for bringing the issue to our attention, and to Aaron for help in tracking it down.
  • FIX: View Slideshow context menu items weren’t enabled for top-level photo plug-ins.
  • FIX: Jay and Isaac tweaked the default settings for IMDB to make sure the best quality posters are returned.
  • FIX: James made some tweak to Now Playing. The flip time is now configurable in the Advanced Settings Cocoa UI (Make it flip every 5 seconds! Make your child and/or pets motion sick!) Additionally, the background is more in line with look of MediaStream.
  • FIX: We’ve defaulted the automatic audio stream selection to false, as we think that default makes more sense (Thanks, Isaac! You can turn it off manually yourself in the video player preferences.) We also fixed an issue with the auto-selection of subtitles if the auto-selection of audio streams was disabled.
  • FIX: We pulled the latest libdcr code which decodes RAW images (it fixes some pink-hue issues with newer cameras).
  • FIX: As forum user “someone” reported, the German strings were botched in the previous version.
  • FIX: Sébastien Vaast kindly send us updates to the French translation.
  • FIX: We fixed a possible crash with Javascript seek bars in site profiles.
  • FIX: Relative coordinates on “thumb” seek-bars were broken, many thanks to Robert Nio for reporting the issue and testing the fix.
  • FIX: We pulled the latest XBMC UPnP code, in hopes this would help with some problems reported on the forums. We also pulled a fix related to the sendkey HTTP-API command, and a few other fixes.

We’ve been taking Barkley more and more to the pool as he continues his recovery from his CCL injury. So far he’s doing great and is really happy to get in the water.

untitled.png

1. Kamen May 22nd, 2009 4:56 pm

Upgrade from the previous version seemed to have failed. It showed the upgrade notification and after clicking “Yes” it showed “Downloading bla bla” which disappears before being able to read the “bla bla” message. It’s the first time an upgrade fails – usually they work flawlessly.

2. Ron P May 22nd, 2009 5:29 pm

And a chorus of angels sang on high…

Thank You!

3. Goose May 22nd, 2009 6:07 pm

Awesome work Plex team…can’t wait to give this update a go tomorrow. Just in time to show off to our guests coming tomorrow night.

4. elan May 22nd, 2009 6:08 pm

@Kamen: sorry, I was in a hurry to get out the door and made a slight mistake in the release, the downloads should work fine now.

5. anothergene May 22nd, 2009 6:44 pm

Sounds great. Can’t wait to try it out! Keep up the good work!

6. Carlton Clifford May 22nd, 2009 7:34 pm

My CPU usage at idle has dropped from 16.5% to 14% so thank you and in the words of Busta Rhymes ‘Gimme some more’…

7. zn8ke May 22nd, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks guys. As allways I am truly greatful. :)

8. Mickey May 22nd, 2009 10:05 pm

Thanks for the Windows 3.1 version LOL !

And the picture of Barkley is very refreshing :)

9. xain09 May 22nd, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanx again for the great work. Downloading NOW :)

10. Polcius May 23rd, 2009 1:31 am

Still, a year later, Plex doesn’t have the FAT OUTLINE EFFECT FOR SUBTITLES. I’ve been asking for that feature since Plex launched… Can someone try (at least) to do it?

11. wally007 May 23rd, 2009 3:01 am

update worked on 5th try. i was getting error ‘occured’ msg as well as first poster.

12. wally007 May 23rd, 2009 3:31 am

oh and teh bug -> changing from window to full screen or vice versa results in blank screen. Plex doesnt crash though.

still , wow , what a change from light grey. Gracias

13. wally007 May 23rd, 2009 3:34 am

forgot to mention that bug happens in NOW PLAYING screen.

14. Ofih May 23rd, 2009 4:04 am

Great that CPU is reduced, But why would it still use 16% CPU in idle anyway??? Seems like a lot for an app when it’s doing nothing….

15. Ryan May 23rd, 2009 4:04 am

Thanks for the awesome work Plex team. Plex continues to rock!

16. Nick May 23rd, 2009 4:23 am

Great release you really make my living room a real living room : )

Superb!!!!!!

17. zAo May 23rd, 2009 4:35 am

Thanks, specially for the CPU idle thing!

18. Mr. CRAPIC May 23rd, 2009 5:38 am

Thanks, dudes! Awesome to the blossom!

19. Adam May 23rd, 2009 6:25 am

“FIX: James made some tweak to Now Playing. The flip time is now configurable in the Advanced Settings Cocoa UI (Make it flip every 5 seconds! Make your child and/or pets motion sick!) Additionally, the background is more in line with look of MediaStream”

I don’t see this one in the Advanced Settings.

20. CurryKitten May 23rd, 2009 6:57 am

The auto update doesn’t seem to be working for me either. Just came on and said yes to update and the update window just seems to dissapear. I haven’t tested it on another mac yet though

21. max204 May 23rd, 2009 7:13 am

Thanks, but am I the only one that has severe problems with the stability of this release? It’s so bad that I had to revert to v0.7.13 with Time Machine.
    I’ve sent the crash info with Apple’s built in Crash report so I hope you have received it.

22. CurryKitten May 23rd, 2009 8:14 am

… and I’ve just tried it again (on the original mac) and it’s worked fine

23. TmiY May 23rd, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks a lot for the update! I have been using Plex on my recently bought MacMini, I must say, WAUW!

24. elan May 23rd, 2009 10:21 am

@max204: Was your crash playing a video or adding a source? For best results, head to the forums and paste your crash report in there and we’d be happy to help?

25. elan May 23rd, 2009 10:23 am

@adam: It’s in Plex > Advanced Settings… in the Music Section, called “Now Playing flip time”

26. elan May 23rd, 2009 10:25 am

@Ofih and @Carlton Clifford: Computing an OpenGL UI at 50 or 60 frames a second is going to take some CPU. We consider the issue closed at this point. If you’d like a video player that takes up 0% CPU while doing nothing, we recommend VLC :)

27. Ofih May 24th, 2009 12:31 am

@ Elan: Oh I didn’t know it was OpenGL, makes sense then. And thanks for the suggestion, but I think I’ll stick to PLEX :) Keep up the great work!

28. Andreas May 24th, 2009 9:28 am

@elan would it be possible to solve the idle/cpu issue by simply not rendering the UI after a set time? I.e. the screen goes blank after 15 minutes of inactivity when Plex stops rendering the UI and spins back up again when there is user interaction again.

29. nicolas May 24th, 2009 12:10 pm

Superb. Thanks for the ongoing work.

30. Slappy May 24th, 2009 2:05 pm

Still, a year later, Plex doesn’t have the ability to brush my teeth for me. Can someone try (at least) to do it?

31. eddie May 24th, 2009 4:08 pm

@Slappy I agree, this free program is pissing me off.

32. cyantist May 24th, 2009 11:01 pm

CPU usage when idling on menus is down to a consistent 6% on my 2.8ghz iMac… Very nice indeed…

Haven’t had any issues to speak of since using 8.0 from a heavy Plex user… Appreciate all the hard work on the remaining minor issues…

33. oddi May 25th, 2009 5:20 am

when is the vista release due ?

34. hilk May 26th, 2009 4:43 am

No, afraid I don’t remember anything about Windows 3.1 when it came out. Was that around the time we started using System 7?

35. Marc Crooner May 27th, 2009 2:03 pm

Please add a search field for iTunes

36. Marc Crooner May 28th, 2009 6:44 am

Also can you add repeat, repeat 1 and shuffle, that would be really kewl.

37. Marc Crooner May 28th, 2009 6:45 am

Oh and gapless audio :D

38. Marc Crooner May 28th, 2009 7:16 am

Found the Repeat, Repeat 1 and Shuffle :) this is a sweet app, you guys ROCK! Can you add support for HD music like 24/96 and 24/192?

39. Hendricus May 28th, 2009 11:25 am

All problems I had are fixed :) Tnx.
    Although it sometimes crash with some video’s (AVI’s), but so far I didn’t see any pattern.

+1 for a search field for iTunes section.

40. Wintermute May 30th, 2009 7:34 pm

I downloaded this version for the first time and it crashes constantly on my 10.5.7 MacBook Pro (2008). It seems to run fine if I click around the screen and modify settings, but as soon as I try to play a video it stops responding and I have to Force Quit.

41. elan May 30th, 2009 8:31 pm

@Wintermute: haven’t heard of this before, please head to the forums and paste a hang report in there and we’ll have a look.

42. Ryan June 1st, 2009 4:25 am

@elan
    I’m on the same version macbookpro (2008 santa rosa) 10.5.7 and having similar problems. I’ve also had many videos stop playing in the middle but will work fine if played again. I only got a working video by deleting the auto updated version and grabbing a clean install from the site. The problem seems to happen a lot more often on lousy internet connections. I’ve noticed a couple problems with soft subtitles not showing up properly in this version also, but on a second play, or a restart it works fine. I haven’t seen any pattern at this point but I am up for testing some things.

43. elan June 1st, 2009 9:18 am

@Ryan: Please head to the forums to discuss (what sorts of videos stop playing? does plex hang? can you post a hang report?) It sounds like part of the problem might be an issue with Sparkle/a mirror.

44. Alfred June 5th, 2009 10:36 pm

I hope you change back to the player from version 7.13(perfect).
    Never change a running System!! (:-)
    There is all perfect with HD 1080p. In fast forward and playing.
    All newer Versions and the current version have problems in fast forward and playing without artefacting…

Thanks

45. Evan June 6th, 2009 7:45 pm

I came here to see if my semi-high idle CPU usage was abnormal, but I see it isn’t.

I totally understand that this is something that @elan would consider closed–on a fast system it’s negligible. But @Andreas has a good point about pausing the rendering. For example, when Plex is hidden could rendering the UI be paused?

Here’s why this matters: Like a lot of Macmini media center users, I switch back and forth between Plex and EyeTV using Remote Buddy. So Plex sits hidden taking 18% of my 2.0GHz mini’s CPU, while the Mini struggles to record one 720p show while it plays another.

If Mini’s were available with more horsepower, I’d get one, but meanwhile that 15% to 20% Plex is taking is a big hit.

@elan any chance of a “pause UI rendering on hide” feature?

Other than this little complaint of mine, Awesome, Awesome job. Plex is the best, and I have tried almost all the rest on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

46. Kimberly Chapman June 8th, 2009 11:11 am

Any chance of getting closed caption functionality soon? My husband just built a whole DVR system with MythTV and Plex and if I can’t have my closed captions back soon, I will make him get rid of Plex and install something else. I have a hearing problem and need my captions.

47. Luke June 10th, 2009 3:21 am

Excellent, thanks love the software. Is there any plans to offer video acceleration too, although many of us use the Mac mini with Intel GMA950 so is it possible to use this GPU to improve video playback?

48. Marc Crooner June 16th, 2009 11:16 pm

Guys I have been having issues with audio for the Netflix Plugin, can anyone suggest a quick fix or provide help in this case.

Thanks,
    Marc

49. elan June 17th, 2009 11:19 am

@Marc: Make sure you have “Link to system output” enabled in the audio settings, otherwise the WebKit audio won’t track the Plex output.

50. Marc Crooner June 17th, 2009 3:59 pm

@elan: Link to system output is enabled, netflix is the only plugin that I don’t get sound from, the other apps play fine.

51. elan June 17th, 2009 4:32 pm

@Marc: Not sure what to recommend, sounds like it might be something Silverlight specific. The only thing I can recommend is making sure you have the latest version installed :(

52. XAVO July 25th, 2009 9:16 am

7.1 channel audio can’t be completely decode…I can only hear part of the full audio

53. elan July 25th, 2009 9:23 am

@XAVO: That’s a tough one. I don’t have a receiver that can decode 7.1 audio, and I’m not even sure what else would need to be done.

54. odysseus Ithacan July 26th, 2009 12:19 pm

It has been 2 months since the last release, and there are a lot of bugs in 0.8.1. What’s going on?

55. elan July 26th, 2009 9:02 pm

@odysseus Ithacan: We have a new release due out any day now, just putting the final touches to it.

56. Mark July 27th, 2009 9:41 am

Guys,

When in File mode and Stacked Mode on, my DVD directories
    are not sorted correctly. Will this bug be fixed in the next release?

57. Jerry August 5th, 2009 2:42 pm

This is my first time using it on a 2G MAC Mini. I like the UI very much. It can decode 1080P TS! Thanks for your great work!

A little regret, it can’t display Chinese subtitle correctly. All the characters show as a little square. Wish you could solve it soon.

58. Louis August 7th, 2009 6:43 pm

good apps.

want to have:
    - built in DVD player
    - different slide show in picture

59. TLOVALL August 9th, 2009 2:52 pm

I love PLEX, and have used it exclusively since switching to Mac for everything except for DVD playback. Could we please dive into brining back DVD Playback? It would be great to have a singe app to do the entire entertainment playback with. Great app, Great Work, keep up the good work!!

60. homesnake August 20th, 2009 6:22 pm

Love Plex but FYI This release seems to have broken both the xTV and xTV2 skins on my machine, they are no longer displaying any icons or graphics, and navigation is disabled. Also as someone above mentioned, flipping between fullscreen and not full screen results in a black screen (built in mediastream skin).

61. homesnake August 20th, 2009 7:11 pm

gah! I should have searched a bit more before I posted, I forgot to compile the xTV skin. Sigh…

62. Axel Andersson September 26th, 2009 11:13 am

We really need an update for snow leopard!

63. Mike Romans September 30th, 2009 7:37 am

Yes, a Snow Leopard update is so a MUST!!! I really like Plex but it looks so bad since I updated my OS… :)