Release 0.7.14: An-nyoung! - Plex Blog

Release 0.7.14: An-nyoung!

| 07 Apr 2009 | by 63 Comments

We’ve been working hard for the last month and I’m really happy to finally be able to announce this next release (download here, but please read the release notes first). Besides the usual bunch of new features and bug-fixes, this release brings with it support for the next major release of our Media Server plug-in API, and this means that you’ll be seeing lots of new content in the App Store this week (and hopefully provides extra incentive to upgrade quickly!)

• NEW: Cocoa UI for advanced settings. Why should you have to edit XML files? You shouldn’t, and now you don’t have to, because the most important advanced settings are easily accessible in this advanced settings dialog that James added. The dialog is accessible via Plex > Advanced Settings… in the menu bar.
Picture 1.png
  • NEW: This all started with a giant bug that Youngcho Kim posted detailing improvements that would help Korean users. Seeing as I like 돌솥 비빔밥 as much as the next guy, I read the bug, thought about it, and we decided that a lot of his suggestions were really excellent for all non-English first time Plex users. So we’ve done a few things:

• Plex respects the language setting in the International preference pane. Whatever language your OS X applications start with, Plex will start with (assuming there’s a translation).
    • Plex respects the units setting (Metric/US) also specified in that preference pane, and these are used to determine the units for temperature and speed.
    • Plex uses the date and time formatting specified in that pane as well; for example, MediaStream uses the short time format for its clock, which you can easily configure it in a number of different ways. More importantly, it will use whatever format you have configured already.
    • Plex auto-selects the font based on your language, so if your language is configured in OS X to be Chinese, for example, it will use Arial Unicode automatically.
    • If you really want Plex to be running with different language/units than OS X, you can specify this in advanced settings (<language> tag, e.g. “en” or “it”, and <units> tag, e.g. “metric”).
time.png
  • NEW: Evan Schoenberg was kind enough to add support for the IRKeyboardEmu virtual remote, which provides support for his awesome Rowmote app for the iPhone.
  • NEW: SMS jump support for Harmony, to make it easy to jump around in lists (thanks to aaronjb!)
  • NEW: Ryan updated our ffmpeg to v0.5 from the XBMC source, and added the new version of libfaad2 and some other patches which provide support for more formats. See his blog post for more details. The new ffmpeg adds support for WMAv2 and lots more.
  • NEW: We’ve enhanced support for .dfont files, to allow specifying font variants; the skin now uses Helvetica Neue by default, except for languages whose character sets aren’t supported by that font, which use Arial Unicode. We’ve also moved to using mixed case, which we think is more readable than all-caps. (We’ve left the original font-set as “Original” for those who prefer it).

fonts.png

• NEW: Improved fanart images for iTunes, iPhoto and Aperture, thanks to Aargh-a-Knot.
  • NEW: Support for Plex.MoveToNextScreen and Plex.MoveToPrevScreen actions, as requested by Felix Schwarz, the author of Remote Buddy.
  • NEW: Finished up localization support in Plex and the Media Server so that plug-in localization works. There was already support for it in the framework, but it needed a bit of plumbing.
  • NEW: James enhanced the photo text overlay so that (a) it hides after 10 seconds and (b) you can toggle it with the ‘info’ command (‘t’ on the keyboard, menu on the Apple Remote). We’ve tweaked the keymap in slideshows to be more consistent with other sections, so pressing menu displays information, holding menu returns you to the browser. Additionally, hold left and right zoom out and in, and hold play displays photo EXIF details. Also, if you just don’t want to see the overlay at all, you can hide it in the skin settings.

Lots of good fixes in this release as well.

• FIX: Allow specifying “always on” vs. “on for SD content” for software upscaling (we’ve also allowed you to select the algorithm used in the advanced settings dialog).
  • FIX: If you have audio linking to system output, it restores the original setting when exiting.
  • FIX: Improved support for SMI subtitles (pulled from XBMC).
  • FIX: Backing up from App Store or Help brings you back to main menu.
  • FIX: When upgrading, helper and Media Server sometimes didn’t get restarted. This one was driving me crazy.
  • FIX: Apple Remote could drop key-presses when system was loaded (many thanks to Evan Schoenberg for the fix, this has been annoying many for quite some time).
  • FIX: When using an HTTP proxy (like Glimmer Blocker), the Media Server wouldn’t play Flash content.
  • FIX: Huge speed increase starting plug-ins in the Media Server on startup.
  • FIX: Signature on Media Server should always be correct now, eliminating firewall warnings.
  • FIX: iPhoto album ordering now exactly matches iPhoto.
  • FIX: Many things restored to Mediastream which were taken out in the last version (allow hiding Movies, TV Shows, and the Quit items, back back background image folder settings, restored “hide thumbs in list view”, and put back the library button in music files).
  • FIX: Sometime when displaying a slide show, moving to the next image would simply exit out of the slideshow (nice find, James!)
  • FIX: HD Homerun should work now.
  • FIX: Stillness sent an encoding patch and scraper updates for KinoPoisk.ru (thank you!)
  • FIX: Seasons and episodes views will now display correctly for first-time users, thanks to Isaac.
  • FIX: We were missing a key mapping for deleting individual video bookmarks.
  • FIX: Ryan, our resident audio wizard, fixed an issue with static noise when skipping forward in an AAC 5.1 file.

And lots of changes in Plex Media Server land:

• Support for new V1 of Plex plug-in Python framework. Major cleanups and enhancements, if you thought the first version was easy to use, you’ll love what James has done with this version. We’ll have great documentation available shortly.
  • Support for plug-in preference panes (and support in the V1 framework for adding preferences).
  • Support for conditions in simple seek bars (i.e. for specifying that played color is *not* a given color).
  • Support for sending key presses to WebKit plug-ins in site configuration.
  • Support for setting cookies in site configuration.
  • Support for WebKit plug-ins that change frame size.
  • Support for specifying relative coordinates for cropping and mouse events (e.g. 10 pixels from the right).
  • Support for Javascript seek bars, and Javascript conditions.
  • Support for site configurations reading values from a plug-in’s preferences (useful when performing authentication).
  • Allow manually locking plug-ins on a page, useful with authentication and some misbehaved sites.

I’ll let Barkley have the last word, as usual. Seriously, who sleeps like this?

40D-5899 (1).jpg

1. Jim April 7th, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks guys! I always look forward to the new releases :)

2. RuggigHund April 7th, 2009 11:07 am

Thank you guys for your awesome work!

3. Martin April 7th, 2009 11:13 am

Wow, some great new stuff guys :)

Though, no mention of Aeon Stark support…

4. Mal April 7th, 2009 11:23 am

Great work! looking forward to giving it a whirl, many thanks for adding background art folder support back in :)

5. figaro April 7th, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks guys for your amazing work ! I must admit you made me buy a Mac Mini :P.

6. Keane16 April 7th, 2009 11:54 am

Excellent work guys.

I really like the new font style. But I’m sure many out there are glad you included an option to revert back.

Thanks.

7. WJ April 7th, 2009 12:18 pm

The communication about supporting Stark is weak. This may cause many Plex users to switch to XMBC. Is it so hard to give a clear statement and an ETA about getting Plex Stark-proof? It is better for all, developers and users, so everyone knows what to expect.

8. aaronjb April 7th, 2009 12:20 pm

Great stuff as always – though I can’t claim credit for the JumpSMS stuff for Harmony, really, I just dug it out from the forum where it was buried and put it somewhere easy to find (the Wiki) :)

9. elan April 7th, 2009 12:27 pm

@WJ: We have nothing to say about Stark because (a) the final version has not been released and (b) we have other important priorities. If anyone wants to start working on making the alpha release work better with Plex, we absolutely welcome the patches. You can read more about our views on Stark in this interview: http://bravelittlememe.com/post/90293619/behind-the-scenes-interview-with-the-plex-team

10. Young-cho April 7th, 2009 12:28 pm

What a great release !
    Especially, many Korean users will appreciate this release.
    Thanks so much Elan and members of developers.

11. Keane16 April 7th, 2009 12:40 pm

@ WJ

The devs have mentioned several times on the forum that they’ll take a look at Stark when they have time (we have to remember their time is limited). They also have a schedule they follow. They can’t just stop with the progression of Plex just to support 1 skin (which is still in beta).

I like Stark as much as the next guy. While it’s beautiful, it’s also complex (I heard the creator say it’s something like 26,000 lines of code!). So supporting it isn’t a straight forward job. The code for Aeon Stark was just posted on Githib so if you or anyone else with both the skills and time to make it compatible are welcome to do so with full backing of the skin creator.

I personally hope the devs contiinue pushing Plex in it’s own direction (futher enhance the Plex Media Server, new library architecture etc). Those that leave Plex for XBMC/Stark will soon be back if development continues at it’s current rate.

There is even talk that Plex will have it’s own dedicated skin. Which I Irhinknwould be great and would further truce dependency on XBMC code.

12. hippojay April 7th, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks – great releaase. The move to ffmpeg 0.5 has improved playback of some problem media and reduced teh amount of dropped frames. Plus .mts support means I can watch my home vids (although it does drop frames like there’s no tomorrow)…

Plus I’m loving “sms jump”..

13. Weavus April 7th, 2009 12:51 pm

I don’t see any mention of pulling any fixes from XMBC trac. Does this still take place? I was really hoping for media flag support and some fixes that have gone in for the scrapers…

14. Erik K Veland April 7th, 2009 12:54 pm

Both Plex and Stark is under development. Stark is a fine skin (and it certainly has the potential for greatness), but right now Mediastream is the best fit for Plex. If you absolutely HAVE to live on the cutting edge, then do go download XMBC. Just keep in mind that you are trading off a lot of the things that make Plex great:

- MediaServer and streaming plugins
    - Mac / iLife / Aperture integration
    - Solid focus on User Experience

15. Weavus April 7th, 2009 1:02 pm

@Erik I could live without those things (all the decent plugins are USA only anyway) but can’t live without the amazing Harmony remote support. Maybe its time to dust off RemoteBuddy again…

16. Scott April 7th, 2009 1:11 pm

“I’ll let Barkley have the last word, as usual. Seriously, who sleeps like this?”

A Rhodesian Ridgeback?

17. elan April 7th, 2009 1:13 pm

@Scott: To the best of our knowledge he’s bullmastiff x american staffordshire, but there could easily be ridgeback in there as well :)

18. ben April 7th, 2009 1:14 pm

I don’t see any improved fanart for iTunes? Still grey with a little apple logo in the upper left corner…

19. elan April 7th, 2009 1:16 pm

@ben: Sorry, you need to whack the old cached one in ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/userdata/Thumbnails/Programs/Fanart/. You can just whack everything in there and it will regenerate. I know, pretty bogus :)

20. ben April 7th, 2009 1:26 pm

@elan: yep. I tried that. Still doesn’t work. I removed my whole Plex and Plex Media Server library. no luck

21. elan April 7th, 2009 1:32 pm

@ben: Maybe you already have the newer art? It didn’t change that much, just got higher resolution and shinier Apple logo. You can see it by hitting http://localhost:32400/:/resources/iphoto-fanart.jpg . Also don’t forget to restart Plex after you whack cached files.

22. ben April 7th, 2009 1:54 pm

@elan: oh. maybe my expectations were too high.
    This is what I get: http://localhostr.com/files/2d8297/itunes.png
    I can’t say I’m a big fan of it :(

23. elan April 7th, 2009 1:57 pm

@ben: Please feel free to submit a better alternative, we’re always open for suggestions!

24. ben April 7th, 2009 2:01 pm

Cool! What’s the size of the image?

25. elan April 7th, 2009 2:05 pm

1280×720 is fine (720p)

26. Arturo April 7th, 2009 2:10 pm

Even better, you are the best bunch of monkeys programing in Mac. Plex is great, so little time ago an alpha experiment and now a great media center.

PS: 20$ for the thirsty bunch of monkeys

Thanks again.

27. Scott Frazer April 7th, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey Guys, great job, as usual. I’ve thrown another Hamilton in the tip jar. Keep up the good work!

28. Erik K Veland April 7th, 2009 3:37 pm

As for communication regarding Plex v Stark. This is what Jayman posted in the forums:

“We are currently reviewing Stark to see which XBMC skinning engine enhancements need to be included in Plex. Its not as simple as copy and pasting some code into Plex so please be patient and allow for a weeks for this. As I have mentioned before, the Devs are not just going to drop everything to get this working. They will need to work this into their schedule. Thank you all for your patience.”

29. fman65 April 7th, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks – great releaase.

30. Kaorw April 7th, 2009 9:52 pm

This realese is COOOOOOOOOOL!

Thanks!!!!!

31. xain09 April 7th, 2009 11:53 pm

Great release again dudes. Really happy with it. More and more it’s becoming a real OS X app. And please dudes stop nagging about Stark. The beta is available and you can use it if you want. I tried it and to be honest I switched back to the “old” skin. Much better in my humble opinion ;) The only thing really missing for me is a subtitle downloader plug-in. On to the new release!

32. ppson April 8th, 2009 1:54 am

Love the cocoa UI for the settings. Will we see a cocoa UI Media library & server management client anytime soon?

33. Mitch April 8th, 2009 5:02 am

@elan : Does this new release give the possibility to fix a resolution of 1080p when using a lower resolution on the Mac ?

I explain : I’m using 720p on my Mac for a question of text legibility (for internet, iTunes and Mac menu essentially). When I start Plex I would like to switch automatically in 1080p (and come back in 720p when I quit). I know it works in XBMC but I don’t think you implemented this functionality yet. Is it planed ?

Thank you very much.

34. tassitassi April 8th, 2009 6:04 am

this shows the potential of mediastream. It’s not perfect but neither is Aeon. It really needs a better music player though.

35. Hendrik April 8th, 2009 7:25 am

You earned 10 Bucks with this release! ;-) Keep on the great work! I hope you will support Aeon Stark in the future. I’m currently using XBMC, despite Plex has all these fantastic mac-specific improvements. :-/

36. beber666 April 8th, 2009 8:45 am

What a great work mans !
    Thanks you very much for this beautiful piece of software !

37. elan April 8th, 2009 8:49 am

@Mitch: Not yet, we’ll likely add before long.

38. J April 8th, 2009 9:05 am

Plex doesn’t seem to respect individual application language settings like other Mac apps (using Get Info).
    Is there a way other than changing the system language to get rid of the translation?

39. elan April 8th, 2009 9:33 am

@J: Funny, didn’t even know that existed :) Look over here on the wiki for help: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Advanced_Settings

40. pewe April 9th, 2009 3:03 am

THANX you guuuuys! this is a really great app. Looking forward to an update with full eyetv integration including the rusian eyecamd pluggin and of coz full Spotify intefration…

keep up the great work

41. WJ April 9th, 2009 3:09 am

A (late) reply on my Stark post:

I understand that supporting Stark can’t be realised in a short time. My critisism was mostly focused on the way of communicating about it. The reason I prefer Stark above Mediastream is because Mediastream seems to have major changes every release. I like and appreciate consistency in skins. Maybe it is also a matter of taste, some like the flavour strawberry, and others prefer chocolate.

Nonetheless, I am a big fan of Plex! The way it is often updated, the communication between users and developers, etc. But don’t forget the power of a open source-bases program like Plex.

I understand the developers have a certain vision on the development of Plex. But giving Plex a ‘Plex only skin’ (like mentioned before)…I don’t know. Keep giving people the chance to choose between skins! So that everyone can enjoy the power of Plex, and add their flavour through the skin they like.

Again, a well meant compliment to the developers, keep the up the good work!

PS My apologies if I made some mistakes in my English writing.

42. DJ.HAN April 9th, 2009 4:01 am

Wow! Thanks for your support for korean. Thanks!

43. rfritz April 9th, 2009 5:50 am

A Cocoa UI for advanced settings!! Mactastic! I hope the basic settings get integrated too.

44. Dave April 9th, 2009 9:35 am

2 things that would be great additions:

1. the ability to set Movies as your Start Up page. Seems like you can do this for everything but Movies. The wifey is scared of my new setup and cant seem to navigate too well to movies (which that is all we use plex for really).
    2. Ability to change the background image for the app store.

Thanks! I bought a new mac mini just to run plex – it’s truely awesome!

I can remember drooling over the $14k base Kalidescape unit thinking “that would be awesome”, now you can get roughly the same thing with Plex for dirt cheap.

45. TheAngryPenguin April 9th, 2009 10:12 am

My libraries primarily consist of Windows shares (smb://username:password@computername/sharename, for example). Since applying this update, Plex is no longer able to access these shares. Did something change with the underlying SMB code?

46. Dave April 9th, 2009 10:46 am

“FIX: Apple Remote could drop key-presses when system was loaded (many thanks to Evan Schoenberg for the fix, this has been annoying many for quite some time).”

I’ve been using a Logitech Dinovo Mini keyboard (bluetooth) and Plex drops down and right arrow key-presses all the time. Still does it with the latest release.

47. elan April 9th, 2009 10:53 am

@Dave: The fix was unrelated to Bluetooth.

48. reovino April 9th, 2009 8:30 pm

I’ve been waiting so long the new version!!!
    I’m s~~~o glad to see the part of Korean support and listen to your Korean(An-nyoung!).

Thanks in advance.

You made me a great fan of PLE~~~X !!!

49. John Volock April 9th, 2009 9:11 pm

What kind of dog is that? My BullMastiff Mutt sleeps like that all the time. Better is him like that either with his head on a pile he made of all the beds pillows or with his head hanging off the bed.

50. elan April 9th, 2009 10:56 pm

@John: Bullmastiff x AmStaf/Ridgeback. Barkley likes pillows too!

51. Matt April 12th, 2009 2:49 am

Great to see things continuing to progress, but behaviour for movies in subfolders is now broken. A few of my movies are split into multiple files or have subtitles so I need to put those into subfolders. Whereas Plex handled this fine before, now when I go into Movies those films are shown multiple times. Does this mean the ‘Scan Recursively’ option is invisibly on? I tried turning this option on in order to turn it back off again to see if that helped, but it wouldn’t let me turn it on.

52. rlmkr April 12th, 2009 5:04 am

Great release!
    Anyone noticed the transcoding from dts audio streams (mainly mkv’s) to ac3 got screwed up a little? The Centre now comes out of the right front and right surround speakers while the sounds from the right front and right surround comes from the centre and left front speaker? I reverted back to the previous release where the bug isnt there. Hope someone can verify it (and the bug gets squashed).

53. elan April 12th, 2009 10:26 am

@rlmkr: I just verified the bug and fixed it for the next release.

54. Magnus, Sweden April 13th, 2009 6:21 am

This release chrashes when I try to view bluray-iso.
    Band of brothers, ripped on a pc with anydvd-hd.
    Black screen for 30 seconds, then chrash.
    Same movie worked on previous releases of Plex.

55. francesco April 13th, 2009 8:03 am

thanks :)

56. Massimo April 14th, 2009 3:46 am

Brilliant! Thanks!

57. Ivar April 15th, 2009 10:15 am

”Seriously, who sleeps like this?”

Allow me to present Laban!

Kind Regards
    Ivar

58. elan April 15th, 2009 10:21 am

@Ivar: Ha ha, that’s awesome! Thanks for sharing.

59. Loremaster April 22nd, 2009 12:40 pm

My cat Zay sleeps like that too..

Great program guys, can’t wait to get home and try it.

60. juanfc April 23rd, 2009 6:32 am

We spend all our tv time (Fullhd) through Plex, since it started, just after dropping out XBox I and take a more serious Mini under our TV. Thanks Elan.

Only a problem that never disappears: audio delay. Watching the same movies through VLC has shown that the problem is not totally on the movie side, since although there can be small delays sometimes, it seems more robust than Plex. In Plex we are getting paranoid with respect to touching the pause of small jumps buttons, or any other… any interruption you make can make Plex displace the audio even a second. You need to stop and restart the playing (resuming :) to have again the synchro.

Another issue I have near solve is the small freezings in the video. I recently did increase the video buffer by ten times via the xml file and it seems to have done the magic but some times the video freeze and after a while it runs faster to reach the audio :|

I have attached a Western Digital FW 1TB external, but as the test I have done, the delays nor the freezes seems to came from the kind of the attachment, since the internal disk also does the same.

Thanks

61. Matt April 25th, 2009 2:03 am

I’m still having the problem which started with the last release. When I go into Movies, some of my films are showing in the list multiple times. These are the ones which are in subfolders because they are split across multiple files or because they have a subtitles file. I can’t find a way of fixing this and, much as I love Plex, this has now become very annoying.

62. ironmaiden May 4th, 2009 11:00 pm

I’m korean.
    I intalled today.
    this application is fantastic.
    Thank you for creating.
    감사합니다.

63. elan May 4th, 2009 11:04 pm

@ironmaiden: kam-sa-ham-ni-da, pretty much the one word in Korean I can actually read! You’re very welcome, glad you like it.