Release: Plex/Seven 0.7.0 - Plex Blog

Release: Plex/Seven 0.7.0

| 16 Nov 2008 | by 59 Comments

I feel like I cheated you all, because we promised a release today and it’s taken us until now to fix some last minute issues and package everything up. Technically, it’s still Nov 16th, but I do realize that it will be Nov 17th for almost everyone else on the planet! My sincere apologies.
Without further ado, then, we’d like to present to you the first release of the Plex/Seven series. You know what’s in it, come take it for a spin. A few notes:

• Delete or move aside your old Application Support/Plex folder. Too many settings and other things have changed. Yes, you’ll have to rescan everything, but look on the bright side, you’ll get TV Theme music and the latest Fan Art. I recommend renaming the folder so that you can easily jump back to Plex/Five if you need to.
  • There are bugs. This is the first release of a new development series. Some things that used to work are quite likely broken. Remember, the Plex/Five series (soon to be bug-fixed into the Plex/Six stable series) underwent 22 releases to reach the level of stability it’s currently at.
  • Come join the forums. From the number of hits we’re getting to the Sparkle AppCast, we think we have quite a few users who aren’t forum members. We’d like to invite you to join, either for friendly support or simply for the great Pet Photos.

Last, but not least, I personally want to thank the entire Plex Team and community. The developers (Enrique, Isaac (yes, he’s coding!), James, Ryan and myself) are congealing into a seriously productive tight-knit team; it’s awesome working with you guys. The Plex testers (Miguel, Shaun, Mark M, Phunky, Mark D, Danny, and all the others) have worked hard to get the kinks out, and we really appreciate all the help. Alexis has been improving the Plex icon, tweaking the DMG art, improving the wiki look and feel, designing merchandise, and we’re very lucky to have someone so talented on the team. Jay has been working incredibly hard writing documentation to be ready for the release (an open source project with documentation???). Ben, Scott, Mike B, it’s awesome having you guys always around and willing to lend a hand. The community is brilliant, thank you all for being so friendly and supportive to our new and existing users.

And of course a special thanks to Cayce for providing the funding, bandwidth, and server to allow us to host all of the different Plex web locations.

Here it is: HTTP, Source. Enjoy!

This is Barkley at dusk with his friend Manu.

40D-1584.jpg

1. fobis November 16th, 2008 10:55 pm

Awesome stuff. Did I get the first post? Guess I’ll find out soon enough. Haha.
    Out of curiosity, what version of MediaStream is included with this?

2. elan November 16th, 2008 10:59 pm

@fobis: I have to say, I feel a new level of satisfaction with this blog now that you’ve made a “first post” comment :)

It’s the latest version, 0.97, tweaked for Plex integration as always.

3. fobis November 16th, 2008 11:00 pm

Nevermind, I figured it out. 0.97 is included with this for all those curious.
    elan and the rest of the gang, thanks for all of your hard work. I look forward to seeing the growth of this tremendous endeavor.

4. Thomas November 16th, 2008 11:00 pm

Sounds way cool. Will download and try out on my laptop … not putting it on my Mediacenter Mini right now, though – I prefer the somewhat stability of the 5-series.

Mmm hmm mmm … Plexy goodness … almost as good as cuddling pandas for that feelgood feeling!

5. Kojiro November 16th, 2008 11:06 pm

Awesome, can’t wait to try this out. I have a question though, I have a HUGE collection foreign films and such that I have renamed into their translated English names, and it would take an unbelievable amount of time to re-scan and do that all again, so I was wondering if I didn’t trash the Application Support folder what kind of conflict/bug/glitches I’m likely to run into?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

6. elan November 16th, 2008 11:14 pm

@Kojiro: Try moving the old one aside, start the new Plex (to let it create its new directory), and then copy over Application Support/Plex/userdata/Database over to the new one and it should work fine.

7. Sal November 16th, 2008 11:52 pm

@elan

If you do the “Application Support/Plex/userdata/Database” trick, TV show theme sons won’t be scraped will they? I there any way to keep the old database and still get the theme songs scraped without having to reset the whole tv show section?

I’m pretty sure a lot of people don’t want to use their played/unplayed history. Would be nice if there was a way to keep the old database in the new Plex…

8. elan November 17th, 2008 12:22 am

@Sal: TV Themes are queried every time you scan for new content, so it should work fine.

9. eduo November 17th, 2008 12:24 am

@Sal : I’ve always thought XBMC (and Plex, by extension) should have a way to selectively re-scrape stuff without losing what’s there already. On the X-box I thought of this for screenshots frequently but it’s also cumbersome to try and re-get fan art or banners or posters when that’s all you’re missing. Theme songs is a new one. Re-scanning my whole drives takes close to three hours without the network and machines doing anything else and, of course, you lose the “viewed/not viewed” status.

10. Russell November 17th, 2008 12:54 am

I’m away for a couple days and now this!!!!!!!!?!? I love it!!! Damn I’ve got 7 hours before I can get home to try it!!

11. Omer Katzir November 17th, 2008 1:05 am

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!

12. Kojiro November 17th, 2008 1:30 am

@elan

Thanks for the tip, it worked beautifully, and the theme music scraped fine when I scanned for new content. I LOVE that feature btw, it really adds a lot to browsing the menus. Can we manually assign mp3s to shows or will we have to upload tracks to that Plex email address in order to download?

13. Weavus November 17th, 2008 1:47 am

I have nfo files for all my moves and TV shows so its takes hardly anytime to rescan anything into Plex. Its great for times like this.

14. Bastiaan November 17th, 2008 1:49 am

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Dolby AC3 is working now!!!! many, many thanks!!!

15. Tom November 17th, 2008 2:01 am

Sorry for a newbie question – where can I download Plex/Seven ?

thanks
    Tom

16. Tom November 17th, 2008 2:03 am

ok, im officially idiot – I found it, sorry
    .t

17. Photek November 17th, 2008 2:27 am

Yay! Too bad I’m stuck in my PC infested office, I’ll be out the door and on the way home at 17.30 on the dot this evening!

Can’t wait to play with the new features, congratulations to all on your hard work in making this the best media center application on any platform.

18. Trond November 17th, 2008 2:30 am

Hm, where did the weather cast go?

19. zao November 17th, 2008 3:21 am

Team, this is great. I’ll give her a testrun as soon as I get home.

Shouldn’t there be a section for Plex/Seven in the forums?

20. Aargh-a-Knot November 17th, 2008 3:51 am

Elan, I just want to say, You Rock! You and the rest of the devs. I am really impressed with how fast this project is growing. This is a great example of how the open source model can spark true innovation. Looking forward to all the great features that the future holds for Plex.

21. Skywalker November 17th, 2008 4:09 am

What is exactly H.264 Speed Boost ?

22. Jonas November 17th, 2008 4:15 am

Hm, when I use library mode I get a lot of entries of movies I don’t even have, like it’s trailers or something. I don’t want that, how can I remove them? Files view is working fine.

23. elrod November 17th, 2008 4:28 am

Hura!!, Congrats on some excelent work you all! Much appreciated!

24. Niels November 17th, 2008 5:33 am

I heard that Steve Jobs is underway with a large bag of money
    for a takeover of the Plex team because of your fantastic work.

Because i can’t wait nog longer for the mac mini upgrade and ordered just one…

25. Tyler November 17th, 2008 5:49 am

Congratulations and thanks to everyone for all the hard work! Can’t wait to try this release out.

26. DCstewieG November 17th, 2008 6:40 am

Hey Elan, I’ve been keeping Plex updated on “i use this” and was wondering if you think the 0.7 series should be put on there. Since new users could be getting their first impression of Plex, should they be directed to the stable releases or the cutting edge?

27. Keane16 November 17th, 2008 6:52 am

I’ve been waiting for this a long time!!

Thanks for all the hard work!

28. JohnnyD November 17th, 2008 7:51 am

Heh. I like the new icon with the reflection of Barkley.
    Very cute.

29. jaf November 17th, 2008 7:54 am

awesome job guys!

Much appreciated!

/jaf

30. Dude McKenzie November 17th, 2008 8:09 am

Great work team! Love what you guys are doing and with the release of Plex 0.7 series I could not resist joining the forum and all the fun. I have been following the releases ever since the OSXBMC 0.1.1 “Baby Steps” release, and can say that I am very impressed and thankful for all the hard work. I’m always looking for ways to contribute and think that I will have to settle with only a donation at this time. Look forward to trying this release on my Macbook (late ’08 2.4ghz 4gb kingston 320gb upgrade) this evening. Samsung 50″ Plasma series 5. Cant wait!!

31. jayman978 November 17th, 2008 8:48 am

@Skywalker
    Here’s some info on H.264 speed boost

32. grey November 17th, 2008 8:53 am

Schweet, seeding on gigE. (:

33. SharkOne November 17th, 2008 8:58 am

Hey hi,
    it seems like since the update (which is awesome actually), the temperature in the weather page is now showing in Farenheit instead of Celcius as better. How can I change it ? (My region is set to Canada)

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work guys, you truely got the best media center app in your hands :)

34. jayman978 November 17th, 2008 9:07 am
  35. SharkOne November 17th, 2008 9:19 am

Oh thanks a lot :)

36. SharkOne November 17th, 2008 9:25 am

Actually my only issue is the F/C one. Region was already set to Canada before, and it still is. Maybe the skin changed and they decided that Canada was using US system altogether, which is wrong (Quebec anyone ?). This could be made available as an option, even in the .xml file, I wouldn’t mind :)

37. Dylan November 17th, 2008 10:11 am

Hey Guys!!! Loving then new theme music..
    Quick Question and I’m a slight novice.
    I created an advancedsettings.xml fil inside od the userdata folder. It contains the following:

true

However I still get the *All Seasons option when viewing a show with more than one Season.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to the team!!!

38. DendeNYC November 17th, 2008 10:52 am

I know its more a skin thing and not a osxbm…Plex thing but I’ve been using MediaStream since it came out giving up my then beloved AEON. However since then I’ve been unable to get my categories to work from the main screen anymore. You know;

Movies
    TV Shows
    Video
    and lets face it
    n0rp

what am I missing? how do I get my sources.xml to point to my p0rn and display smutty fanart?

39. boogaloo November 17th, 2008 11:34 am

Elan & the Plex team! You guys rock…Plex has made my HTPC on my Mac Mini come alive. Apple has sold a lot of mac minis because of you guys. Keep up the great work.

40. Hecubus November 17th, 2008 12:01 pm

Plex rocks, but I am a little disappointed by the disappearance of a lot of settings. In particular, I miss the ‘disable add source button’, always seeing Add Source is driving me crazy, if there’s a way to disable it in Plex/Seven I would be eternally grateful.
    Other than that, Plex is the best.

41. Ed November 17th, 2008 12:15 pm

Great release. Been playing around with it for a while :)

How about Airport Express ‘Airtunes’ support? Would be neat to be able to avoid wires to the speakers :)

42. eduo November 17th, 2008 1:05 pm

Damn. We need to make the MediaStream guys come up with a view that is banner-friendly. I like banners a lot (and posters for seasons). None of the views is really workable for banners.

43. Nopel November 17th, 2008 2:27 pm

@Hecubus: Just put this in your advancedsettings.xml:
    <filelists>
    <disableaddsourcebuttons>true</disableaddsourcebuttons>
    </filelists>

You can still adjust all settings in there, even the ones that don’t appear in the GUI anymore.

44. perez November 18th, 2008 12:14 am

Great work on the release! When are we going to eat dinner?

45. Jonas November 18th, 2008 7:59 am

Hi. I get a bunch of small movies listed in the library view, seems lika trailers. How do I get rid of them?

46. aureus November 18th, 2008 10:34 am

I’ve been using Plex for some days now. Until version seven everything worked really nice, I was really looking forward to this update and I’d like to thank you for the new features, great work.
    Unfortunately, nevertheless, my remote doesn’t seem to be working properly anymore. If I want to leave, let’s say “TV Shows” for example, I have to press the Menu button very quickly three times in a row. If I press it once, nothing happens. If I hold it, nothing happens (usually it opens the ‘C’ menu on the keyboard, doesn’t do it anymore..). There are some other things which don’t work but you get the idea. Is this a known problem in any way? I checked my settings but it seems to be alright.
    Thanks in advance!

47. aureus November 18th, 2008 11:14 am

Nevermind the last post, seems to work after I restarted my Mac. No idea what that was but anyway, it works again.

48. trinx November 18th, 2008 1:00 pm

Thank you for yet another great release of of this killer app! Looking forward to seeing even more new features in a not so distant future!

49. breakfingah November 18th, 2008 1:47 pm

I’ve been wondering: Are there any way to put this application always on top, when in windowed mode?

This is by far the best performing media player for HD-material, and i often experience quite a bit of skips when running VLC of MPlayer (even with high caches).

50. Koxman November 18th, 2008 11:31 pm

I tried out the new iTunes Library integration (with server). I really like the feature, but I recognise a cracking noise between two songs (I’m not sure if its on the end or beginning of a song). I’ve integrated all album covers into my mp3 so it might be that there are some problems with the meta information beeing played.

51. faibistes November 19th, 2008 2:15 am

Boys, worst release EVER!

I have used it for a couple of hours and discovered three showstopper bugs:

- Some videos (which admittedly were crappily encoded in the first place) that used to play fine in Plex 5, now play at some 2x speed (audio too). I must admit that it’s kind of funny watching The Simpsons as if they had been sniffing helium, but come on! After stopping the video, Plex crashes.
    - Crash when going back to TV Shows main menu, if I enable Theme Music
    - If I browse my iTunes music by genre, artist…, Plex shows the tracks but won’t play the music. And if I browse it by track, it will show the tracks but may a) not play it or b) play the wrong track (WTF?).

I’ll file those bugs as soon as I get back home. The last one is incredibly weird and hard to explain.

I learned my lesson. Next time I will backup my previous settings. Scraping everything again to pull back to 5 is a PITA.

BTW, wishlist: preamp for videos.

52. theTraveler November 19th, 2008 7:31 am

What a great an innovative release!
    Plex team is truly amazing.
    You make Front Row look like an entry level product.
    But watch out you may get hired by Stevie ;-)

I Feel a donation coming on!

Now the only thing I dare to dream of is true EyeTV integration!

53. elan November 19th, 2008 7:52 am

@breakfingah: Good idea, please file a feature request on Lighthouse :)

@Koxman: Crackling sound at start of tracks is a known issue.

@faibistes: I’m really sorry you’re having so much trouble. We tried to make it clear that this release was known to be a step backwards in terms of stability and we recommended backing up your Application Support/Plex folder. The first bug has been fixed already, and I’ll look at the last one shortly. Ryan is working on the middle one at the moment as well.

54. windy November 21st, 2008 7:11 am

Consider building off/mimicking some of the following features. It is not necessarily bad to be a copycat. Evil empire M$ does it all the time. Apple does it on occasion. All consumer products steal from one another. If they provide the best features of the competitor’s product along with the best of their own product, they attract more customers.

55. Gumbyx84 November 21st, 2008 2:35 pm

I hate to bug you guys, but where is the Plex Media Server dmg? You guys said it would be available as a separate download, but I don’t see it anywhere. I ask because I might be trying to set up a remote iTunes library sometime in the near future and would like to use it on an old PowerBook. Thanks ahead of time for the info.

56. elan November 21st, 2008 2:38 pm

@Gumbyx84: You’re not bugging us at all! There’s no separate DMG for now, but you can easily pull it out of a Plex/Seven release, from Plex.app/Contents/Resources/Plex/PlexMediaServer. It’s just a command line application you can run anywhere (except for the fact that I’m an idiot and the 0.7.0 release wasn’t a true Universal Binary :) )

57. michael November 23rd, 2008 8:45 am

Nice to see a new release, still I’ll stay with the 5.22 for the time being. I get a distorted sound on everything I listen too :(

58. Mikkel November 24th, 2008 10:12 pm

Great work guys.

Finally AC3 / DTS works on my Sony equipment, and everything else is working fine with a few crashes. Eye-TV external support is very appreciated, I just hope in the future that we can get a better native support, so Eye-TV can run flawless in the background and record TV when enjoying the wonderful features of PLEX

59. luke March 13th, 2009 6:12 pm