Release 0.5.17/0.5.18: DTS down-mixing fix - Plex Blog

Release 0.5.17/0.5.18: DTS down-mixing fix

| 11 Sep 2008 | by 29 Comments

My sincere apologies for a bug that crept in with the DTS to AC3 transcoding feature which prevented DTS from down-mixing correctly. If you use usually connect Plex to a surround receiver supporting DTS you would not have been affected.

The problem has been fixed, and I’ve uploaded the new release. The good news is you should be able to use Sparkle to do the update for you.

This is Barkley catching guava fruit in his mouth. He loves guava, pineapple, papaya and avocado, and on occasion we’ve caught him eating freshly-fallen mango out in the yard.

40D-1453.jpg

1. Mickey September 11th, 2008 11:38 am

Cool, the auto-update! Thanks a lot.

2. skywolf September 11th, 2008 11:53 am

thanks for the update so fast.
    i am still having the same probs that my HD x264 .mkv files are now stuttering (almost like slo-mo) and no sound. All played fine with the 0.5.15 release.
    keep up the awesome work. This is a superb app

3. migueld September 11th, 2008 11:56 am

Elan could the auto-update be integrated into Plex’s menus? It’d be pretty nice being able to update with the remote control… not having to toggle fullscreen, reach for the menu with the mouse etc etc. It’d be way more elegant :D

4. martig September 11th, 2008 12:08 pm

skywolf@ i have this same problem!

5. elan September 11th, 2008 12:12 pm

@martig: No after this release you won’t :)

@migueld: Not high priority, but yeah, agreed.

6. vejneke September 11th, 2008 12:16 pm

Same problem as skywolf with 0.5.17. DTS movies are running in slow motion and there’s no audio at all. Works a treat in 0.5.15. Broken in 0.5.16 and still broken in 0.5.17..

7. elan September 11th, 2008 12:22 pm

Gah! What are your audio hardware settings? Also please tell me what it shows in the About box for full version. Is anyone finding that 0.5.17 did fix the problem?

8. skywolf September 11th, 2008 12:31 pm

audio plex settings are audio output ‘analog’ audio output device ‘built-in output’
    i have my MBP connected to lcd tv via DVI to HDMI and the audio is taken from the MBP headphone jack to lcd tv and plugged in back.
    All HD x264 .mkv files worked fine under 0.5.15 but under 5.16 and 5.17 they run slow and no sound.

thanks,

Andy

9. vejneke September 11th, 2008 12:34 pm

Sorry for the delay, I had already reverted back to 0.5.15 and had to redownload 0.5.17.
    I’m using a regular 3,5mm plug from my Mini to the connector on the back of my display. No sound settings in Plex are changed from default values.
    (Audio Output is set to Analog.
    Audio Output Device is set to Built-in Output.)
    The About box says: Version 0.5.17-eb634e9

10. elan September 11th, 2008 12:35 pm
  11. Jezz_X September 11th, 2008 1:01 pm

Yournew blog layout does not look right in many browsers, ie7 being one major one it looks like this
    note it looks like elan writes the posts above his
    when I guess it should look like this FF 3

12. elan September 11th, 2008 1:06 pm

@Jezz_X: Yeah, it’s on my list of things to fix :) Probably just missing a close-of-div or something…

13. elan September 11th, 2008 1:57 pm

The bug has been fixed, and the new version is available for download.

14. Jay September 11th, 2008 2:46 pm

Hey this dog snuck into the Plex icon! (Very subtle reflection)
    Interesting Easter Egg.

Do I win a free copy of Plex? ;-)

15. elan September 11th, 2008 2:49 pm

@Jay: Great eye! Alexis put Barkley in there and we were wondering if anyone would spot it. Nice job, you do indeed get a free version of Plex.

16. Jay September 11th, 2008 2:55 pm

I store my DMGs in folders with customized icons and usually overlay the app’s icon on-top of a regular Leopard folder. It’s only because I saw the icon as a PNG fullscreen in Photoshop that I caught it.

Looking forward to trying Plex out this evening. Hopefully we see a Frontrow’ish theme soon.

17. alexis September 11th, 2008 5:54 pm

@Jezz_X bug in IE should be fixed. Thanks for pointing that out (although what the hell are you doing on windows anyhow :) ). The site should look pretty much the same on most browsers.

18. Jezz_X September 11th, 2008 10:00 pm

alexis it looks fine now I can actually tell who posted what properly :)

19. Mickey September 11th, 2008 10:23 pm

Cool, Barkley’s presence on the left of the arrow! Good catch Jay!

20. elan September 11th, 2008 10:57 pm

Hey, thanks for fixing the site, Alexis!! I appreciate it.

21. t029248 September 12th, 2008 5:52 am

Could the update give an indication that it was installed successfully? Now it just restarts….

22. S.Jobs September 12th, 2008 6:21 am

Hi. High loading of the processor in a program (Plex) idle time.
    MB 2.1 – c2d 2.0GHz, 4Gb memory
    /sorry for my bad english/

23. Hendricus September 12th, 2008 11:23 pm

I just stumbled upon this site. Can’t wait to give Plex a try. It looks so much better than Front Row.

24. chitz September 13th, 2008 9:09 am

Hi. Could you pull revision 15344 from XBMC for the next release? It allows to hide completly watched tv-shows and tv-seasons which is handy if one has lots of older series in his/her library.

25. graeme September 13th, 2008 11:22 pm

I second migueld with the request for auto-updates within the app UI. I (as I am sure many others) use plex on a mac mini hidden in my media cabinet with no keyboard or mouse (it rocks btw, have used it since day one). Based on my observations so far, if a new release is available, i need to switch from fullscreen, update and then back. Not possible with a remote. It is especially confusing to my 6 year old who has figured out how to use plex and I am happy to let him do his thing at 6am! If this is to be suited for the mass market (i.e. my wife and kids) we need updates in the app UI please.

26. elan September 13th, 2008 11:28 pm

@graeme and @migueld: It’s coming, a talented new Plex developer is working on it as we speak.

@chitz: You got it.

27. Yair September 15th, 2008 4:27 am

there is another little bug with Hebrew Subtitles. I’m play movie with Hebrew Subtitle is running in full screen, and when push button, and it exit to small window, the subtitle get smaller, and when i return to full mode again, it stayed small.

Anybody?

28. Pacino September 15th, 2008 3:00 pm

I just turn on the program and leave it idle, and it already takes 20% of my CPU.

That’s bit too much for a media player. And I haven’t even started playing anything.

29. beadweyr September 17th, 2008 3:11 am

Thanks for the great program. I was having problems playing 1080p mkv file over my wireless untill I found PLEX. Ony thing I had to tweak was the plex cache and all my files play fine now great program. $20 donation sent well worth it keep up the good work.