Status update - Plex Blog

Status update

| 15 Aug 2008 | by 33 Comments

I apologize for the lack of updates, I’ve had my parents-in-law in town, and as such haven’t had that much free time. However, we’re very close to the next release (lots of bugs fixed!) and we have some other exciting things coming up.

For starters, we are extremely lucky to have the talented (and fellow dog-lover) Alexis Gallisa helping us out with our branding. Have a look at the in-progress logo for Plex below. We wanted to play off the similarities between the words “play” and “plex” (especially taking into account a potential slogan: “Don’t Play it, Plex it!”) and the orange play symbol fits nicely with that. I’m sure the keen-eyed viewers will notice the additional play logo in negative space between the E and the X. Simply beautiful.

Once we get the logo finalized, you can be sure there will be t-shirts and coffee mugs available!

The next release will hopefully drop in the next week, and with some luck will be the first of our stable 0.6 series. We will release further minor bug-fix updates (0.6.1, 0.6.2) as we progress in parallel with the “unstable” 0.7 series.

We also have a couple of surprises for the stable series, as you’ll see in the next release or two.

THUMB-logo.png

1. jeppster August 15th, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks much Plex developers/designers/everyone else who contributes!

2. Brandon August 15th, 2008 7:01 pm

Hey Elan, I’m curious about the latest update on xbmc.org regarding XBMC Atlantis (XBMC 2.1). They mention that they are targeting “Linux, Mac, Windows and Xbox simultaneously”.

So are they doing their own Mac port, I assume? Is this why they wanted to kick you out in the first place? They’ll have a lot of constant catching up to do to match Plex in terms of OS X integration.

3. Benji August 15th, 2008 7:01 pm

I think the new logo is great, specially the colors. I thing the font should be a little more bold, but it’s fine anyway. Btw, i found the idea behind the additional play logo between the E and the X quite similar to the fedex’s logo: https://iconicionic.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/fedex-logo.jpeg

P.S. Great work

4. FreddyK August 15th, 2008 8:54 pm

I think the logo design looks really great. This design looks slick and lends itself to being animated for the inevitable motion graphic version.

5. blues August 15th, 2008 11:49 pm

Elan, that logo looks sweet! The plex name is excellent, the app is coming along great, and the logo looks really professional. Good work.

6. Kareem August 16th, 2008 12:21 am

Looking good. Can’t wait until this becomes my media center. The old xbox isn’t cutting it anymore with h264 vids becoming the norm.

One favour though. Please please please don’t try to turn your product name into a verb!! Digg did it, and everything since then has been terrible. Nobody will actually use that term which just makes it a cheasy slogan.

my2cents

7. mmr August 16th, 2008 1:56 am

I’m in for a mug!

8. Mickey August 16th, 2008 3:48 am

Excellent original drawing! I can’t wait for an animated version either! And a Mug!
    Keep up the good work, all contributors!

9. mattsoft August 16th, 2008 7:05 am

awesome logo.

10. iordonez August 16th, 2008 7:27 am

@Brandon XBMC is working on their own mac port at the moment. This is not the reason we decided to fork though.

11. elan August 16th, 2008 9:55 am

@Brandon: The XBMC team is working off our original port to the Mac. The two code-bases have diverged a bit, but are still much more similar than they are different. We are friendly with the XBMC team and we both liberally borrow patches from each other.

12. maxrogers August 16th, 2008 1:14 pm

Surprises in 0.6!!! Wooohooo! Can’t wait!! Great work Elan!

13. Jimmy August 16th, 2008 8:41 pm

I really like the new logo, clean and stylish. Keep up the good work!

14. muzo August 16th, 2008 10:01 pm

The logo looks great guys. Looking forward to the tees and mugs. :)

15. jeh August 17th, 2008 2:49 am

Great software, terrible slogan. “Don’t play it, Plex it!”? Seriously..
    Don’t cheapen it by trying to make it extremely hip.

People who wants a product like this, just needs a great software.

Nice logo and graphical interface is important, of course. But spare us the slogans. :)

16. jcee August 17th, 2008 6:00 am

Did not recognize the ‘y’ in the first attemp. BUT the X looks like a projector pointing to the left.
    I looks like this because of the lighning effect.

I like that look, because it reminds to the idea of movies/cinemas. :-)

17. migueld August 17th, 2008 8:46 am

Whoa nice, I like having two XBMC to choose from. Let the competition begin ;-)

18. elan August 17th, 2008 10:10 am

@migueld: Don’t forget boxee. I personally don’t see either of the three competing for the same eyeballs. But it has to be said that the existence of the triad is good for users, and good for the core code, in my opinion.

19. Chris August 17th, 2008 2:35 pm

Very nice new logo with plenty of suitable metaphors. For use on a white background, I would suggest cropping a bit more around the logo and rounding the corners.

20. leloire August 18th, 2008 7:04 am

look nice, best application for watching videos ! thanks a lot !

21. elan August 18th, 2008 11:09 am

@Chris: Yep, excellent point, I just took a screenshot for the post but treatment for white backgrounds is a must.

22. chinhster August 18th, 2008 12:12 pm

I saw this logo on a truck today.

Not saying they’re the same but they do look very similar.

Just an FYI.

23. Jezz_X August 18th, 2008 3:10 pm

Nice conspiracy thoery Brandon lol

The decission to continue the OSX port was made after elan took his bat and ball to play elsewhere because we still had developers eager to continue doing the work they did for OSX (yes it wasn’t all elan) but did not want to go with Elan (the more public face of OSX port).
    So they continued to do so including a couple a new ones since

24. elan August 18th, 2008 3:40 pm

@Jezz_X: So did I take my bat and ball before or after you [a] held a secret vote to kick me off the team or [b] summarily kicked two of my crew off your forums and IRC?

I’m tired of rehashing old history, and yours was the proverbial straw that broke this camel’s back. From now on, comments are moderated. An open house is awesome assuming people don’t come in, shit on your floor, and wipe their ass on your curtains.

Peace out.

25. MacHead August 18th, 2008 4:19 pm

I don’t understand why Jezz_X always has to come here trying to start something. Brandon made a comment wondering about something (while making an assumption) and Elan addressed him and enlightened him on the situation (very cordially by the way). Why does he need to come here making his inflammatory (and flatulent) comments all the time. Move on man, everyone else has.

26. Arnout August 19th, 2008 9:17 am

I’d like to sincerely thank your for all the work on this app. Using it for all 1080P content and I’m guessing a lot of people are anxious for new releases.

27. Darkness August 19th, 2008 4:18 pm

Hey,

This is great news. A feature request if it isnĀ“t done yet: Can you add “delete” to the menu on items like movies etc? I like to delete stuff from the coach :)

28. bmfrosty August 19th, 2008 4:51 pm

@Darkness

I believe that it’s already there, but I haven’t used it myself. In one of the setup menus there’s an option to allow file deletion.

29. heno August 20th, 2008 2:12 am

plex it like beckham =)

keep up the good work! love it!

30. trugel August 20th, 2008 6:01 am

Great app. Getting all my friends to use it. They think I’m a genious for finding it. You guys are doing an amazing job with this product and I look forward to the updates. Thanks!!!!!

31. Bodie August 23rd, 2008 3:28 pm

Hmm, the logo isnt too bad…but where is Mucx from CS though? He not involved in the graphic design for Plex?

32. akula September 3rd, 2008 4:29 am

The negative space arrow between the E and the X is a pretty well known feature of the FEDEX logo. Not exactly ground breaking I guess, but still cool, though.

33. akula September 3rd, 2008 4:32 am

But on second thought, the sideways home/house between the E and the X in your logo is pretty cool when you’re talking about home theater. You gotta look at black space between the two letters.