Release 0.5.0b8: It's Greek to me! - Plex Blog

Release 0.5.0b8: It’s Greek to me!

| 13 Jun 2008 | by 21 Comments

Family in town, not much time, but I wanted to get a new release out there. Here are the changes in this release (HTTP, Bittorrent, source):

• REG: Switching between windowed and full-screen mode when watching a video now works again.
  • NEW: The genius known as bmfrosty realized that all Leopard installations come with Arial Unicode, so I’ve put some code in to intercept requests to Arial and redirect to the system-installed Unicode version. This means no more need to download and install the font for all you international folk, it should work out of the box! Simply select Arial as the skin font, and it should work. We’ll be putting more work in here shortly, including allowing you to pick more system-provided fonts.
  • FIX: You can now add Smart Folders as sources.
  • FIX: Some memory leaks playing sounds and loading images (thanks to riquedafreak!)
  • NEW: We’ve upped the minimum cache size in a few cases to be more realistic for HD media. Still lots of improvements to be made in this area, but if you’re having trouble with frames dropping or jerky playback, make *sure* your cache settings are high enough.
  • FIX: I’ve included a patch by crocodile that apparently fixes streaming from a Dreambox.
  • FIX: The default on-screen time for the song information has been raised from 2 seconds to 10.
  • FIX: New ffmpeg libraries to include a fix by elupus relating to seeking in MKV files.
  • FIX: A patch by Roman Sokolov has been included which apparently helps out with Cyrillic input, switching keyboard layouts, and allowing hot-keys to work. I’m not completely clear on the fixes because, frankly, I don’t type in Cyrillic, but the patch was clean.
  • NEW: Another part of the same patch, we now allow the desired URL encoding to be specified in a scraper. We default to UTF-8, and the new KinoPoisk scraper that’s been included in this release specifies CP1251.

Areas to test:

• Cyrillic/international keyboard input, Russian movie scraping.
  • Smart folders.

Here’s a screenshot with Greek language enabled, using the system-supplied Arial font.

untitled.png
And here’s me being very confused when trying to test smart folders with Greek characters and then forgetting to switch languages:

greek.png

And finally, your moment of Barkley:

40D-2252.jpg

1. Paul June 13th, 2008 11:20 am

So many releases:O

Never touched my original xbox again because of OSXBMC:D
    Really appreciate your work!!(Y)

2. eduo June 13th, 2008 11:36 am

For the last eight versions or so three-line subtitles fail to display the middle one ( http://www.grabup.com/uploads/7b82535df229aac58b0cb0cff0ec9e32.png ). I had mentioned this in the original forum and on IRC but didn’t receive any acknowledge.

I can’t find this reported anywhere. Could it be something in my setup only?

I wish subtitle font size could be selected by % of screen height. Either in fullscreen subtitles are tiny or they’re huge in windowed mode.

3. beto77 June 13th, 2008 11:40 am

Whoat! another great release! And just in time to test it with a film :P
    Thanks elan!

4. eduo June 13th, 2008 11:44 am

Here’s the same screenshot from within VLC http://www.grabup.com/uploads/6681f1bcaeda0073abaee46d0ab7dddf.png

5. sigalakos June 13th, 2008 12:01 pm

???? ???? ?? ?? ??????????? ??? ??? ???????? ????????? ??? OSXBMC. ??? ????!
    Which means: “Elan, my friend, let me thank you for adding Greek support into OSXBMC. Fucking great!” ;-)
    I’ll be testing it thoroughly and report my findings.

@eduo Hey! I just posted this on the “Bugs” forum section: http://forums.osxbmc.com/index.php?showtopic=212

6. hippojay June 13th, 2008 12:02 pm

Elan – this release is broken slightly.

The new default of “off” for the harddisk cache causes an infinate (or at least a long time) buffering loop. Media won’t play.

As soon as I set it to any otehr value, everything is back to normal.

Nothing in the log file points to why..

7. Mickey June 13th, 2008 1:00 pm

The full screen mode toggle works perfect now! (the resulting xbmc is shrinked instead of cropped :thumbup: )

Only one thing: now, when I quit normmaly OSXBMC, it crashes (the “has unexpectedly quit” dialog is shown)

8. niad June 13th, 2008 10:47 pm

Have the setup for the original mac ir control changed. Where can i find the lates guide of commands for the original control and what setting should i have in osxbmc for it to work properly. I beleive that in the beginning you should for example hold in MENU for a movie to stop but that does not work for me now.

9. smoothdvd June 14th, 2008 2:36 am

Greate Job!

10. dr01dy June 14th, 2008 9:33 am

do you need to delete your application support xbmc folder every time there is an update?

The about XBMC button in settings does not work, but I guess thats because of the recent news.

11. nicholas June 15th, 2008 1:29 am

Ridgebacks rule! And so does your port! Keep it up man :)

12. Patrik June 15th, 2008 11:53 am

Hi there, I’ve used the appleremote for navigation in XBMC since you started supporting it. But in the latest releases I havn’t been able to exit videoclips with the remote (In earlier releases I would have to press the “menu” button for a few seconds) to exit a videoclip. But this does not work anymore (I’ve tried universal in settings as well) Am I doing something wrong :D?

Thanks for a great app /pat

13. azrael June 16th, 2008 2:49 am

as in http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/87#comment:8 , the visualisation for music does not entirely work in mit macbook with intel GMA gfx, seems to be a problem of this type of gfxhardware…

14. swangy June 16th, 2008 1:08 pm

nice! thanks!

15. Henrik June 17th, 2008 1:11 am

Does this run on AppleTV?

16. Joe June 17th, 2008 4:14 am

I have OSX with all updates installed.
    When I start osxbmc 0.5.b8 it immediately quits. What can I do to make it work?

Process: XBMC [2845]
    Path: /Applications/OSXBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC
    Identifier: org.xbmc.XBMC
    Version: ??? (???)
    Build Info: XBMC-0000~1
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [416]

Date/Time: 2008-06-18 00:12:17.399 +1000
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.3 (9D34)
    Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0×0000000000000002, 0×0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
    Referenced from: /Applications/OSXBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libsmbclient.dylib
    Reason: Incompatible library version: libsmbclient.dylib requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 6.0.0

17. Con2K June 17th, 2008 4:48 am

I have the same problem on my Mac Mini Intel Core Duo with Mac OSX 10.4.11 1.66Ghz Intel, 512MB 667 DDR2 SDRam.

Click the xbmc App and it instantly quits…

Any help?

18. platanito21 June 17th, 2008 8:21 am

osxbmc is only for Leopard (10.5)

19. elan June 17th, 2008 9:14 am

@sigalakos: Thanks :) I think I’m going to get that Greek phrase tattooed on my arm.

@hippojay: So if you whack your settings the default cache size is 0?

@Mickey: Does it always happen? Please visit the forums and post the crash report in there.

@Patrik: I haven’t changed anything, a bit surprised to hear it doesn’t work anymore. Please visit the forums if you haven’t already to discuss.

@Joe: I’ll fix that reference in the next beta, not sure why other people didn’t run into it.

20. Drailex_Mauder June 17th, 2008 9:50 am

The FAQ says that only Leopard is supported. Con2K, you are running Tiger.

21. hippojay June 17th, 2008 10:04 am

@elan

I just created a new user and started osxbmc running and it defaults to 1024k for local HDD cache. Something bizarro must have happened to my settings as I’m sure I never alterted them before (as they never did anything).

Think I’ll file this under “User Error” for now ;-)