Release 0.5.0b7: Lucky Seven? - Plex Blog

Release 0.5.0b7: Lucky Seven?

| 09 Jun 2008 | by 34 Comments

Assisted by the lovely Stella Artois, I worked a while this evening fixing some bugs. The result can be found here (HTTP, torrent, source):

• FIX: For ages now we’ve had trouble with large subtitles and the lovely Aeon skin (cases with fonts having point sizes great than 50). Well, no longer. Thanks to jmarshall for pointing me in the right direction on this one.
  • REG: Amazingly nobody noticed, but playing movie trailers with the AMT plugin caused a crash. Luckily, before anyone complained, it’s now working again.
  • FIX: Better behavior with switching between full-screen and windowed mode in terms of fonts and skins resizing correctly.
  • REG: Caching A/V ratios tweaked, fixes frame dropping problem introduced last version. I tried a bunch of HD trailers and got frame dropping only when my pathetic connection couldn’t keep up.
  • NEW: Bumped up maximum allowable cache size in certain cases.
  • FIX: TIFF loading crash reported by superpea, fixed by upgrading to the latest version of libtiff.
  • FIX: ProjectM was updated to 1.1 by malloc64 (nice work, mate!), and I recompiled for OS X. I ran into some problems on GMA950 (go figure), but worked around them. It *should* now work and not display garbage on the lower third of the screen. More tweaks may be needed, but I think it’s much better than the old one.

We’ve seen these racquetballs before, haven’t we?

40D-2197.jpg

1. muzo June 9th, 2008 10:34 pm

Having a tough time keeping up with your pace elan.. great job as always. yay!

2. user June 10th, 2008 1:21 am

Yeah, he’s on fire! Glad to see it :)

3. rickeo June 10th, 2008 1:37 am

You’re going to make me switch to back to a Mini for my HTPC..! MediaPortal is just TO confusing!

4. Dean June 10th, 2008 3:28 am

Amazing work Elan. I’m pretty sure that you’ve made enough friends around the world right now that you can pretty much drop in any city and never have to pay to see your friend Stella again.

5. jms_uk June 10th, 2008 5:28 am

Stella is known as “wife beater” in the UK.. i’m sure if he’s in England people can get him a better pint than Artois… Nastro or something perhaps?! ;)

6. nico June 10th, 2008 5:36 am

nice work :)

7. holzi June 10th, 2008 5:47 am

Nice work again.
    But does someone else have the problem when switching to full screen it trys to switch put it falls back to windowed mode?

8. Julien June 10th, 2008 8:24 am

Cool works !!

Xbmc playing HD is dream, I will never power on my xbox again …

9. hippojay June 10th, 2008 10:54 am

Tested this out with some of my mkvs and it looks good.

mini c2d 1.83 plays 720p no problem and for 1080p drops less frames than previous versions.

Any chance of an option to enable/disable the deblocking filter to see if we can squeeze smoother 1080p at the expense of a little quality?

10. Frasse June 10th, 2008 11:13 am

I downloaded the new OSXBMC and the Aeon “ALPHA10b (4th June 2008)”. But I get “Incompatible skin. We require skins of version 2.0 or higher”.

11. Frasse June 10th, 2008 12:10 pm

Sorry, my bad. The unziped folder contained the actual Aeon folder so the skin folder structure was wrong.

12. jooew30mpls June 10th, 2008 3:28 pm

Is it just me or is this release much snappier than any previous? I was playing around with different skins lately as I had xTV difficulties, but now this build and the latest xTV is REALLY snappy! Great work to Elan and thanks to the helpful community! I promise you Elan, as soon some other kinks are worked out, I will be donating a good amount to keep you full of Stella!

13. Mickey June 10th, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi, Elan!

Wonderful work you did (and still do) !

Just to let you know that I am Belgian (but I prefer Maes or Jupiler regarding pils ;) ) and in the “Télémoustique” – a Belgian TV schedules magazine – of this week, your work (XBMC ported on Mac OS X) is cited and encouraged. The http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/wiki/WikiStart link is given in the paper. You are really known worldwide!

14. The Edge June 11th, 2008 2:41 am

Apples .mov HD trailers, both 720p and 1080p now work properly in b7.

Thanks for the quick fix.

15. symm June 11th, 2008 6:44 am

Is anyone else having audio skipping problems with Handbrake (normal) encoded videos since b6?

B5 works fine. b6 patch and b7 also have the same issue. I use Digital out but selecting Analog has no effect. Video doesn’t skip. Dropped frames aren’t the issue. Apple HD trailers and the avi files I tested work fine. ??? :(

I’d love to have the fixes since b5 but I used Handbrake for encoding almost all of my library.

16. elan June 11th, 2008 12:05 pm

@holzi: There’s a regression in the release that manifests when you try to toggle between full-screen and windowed mode when viewing a video. Fixed in the next release. If it’s something different, come discuss on the forums.

@hippojay: I gave it a try once and didn’t see any real difference, I think the multithreading patch might obviate the need for that.

@jooew30mpls: Probably placebo effect, but if it seems faster to you, I’m happy. The caching settings might have something to do with that.

@Mickey: Very cool, thanks for the heads up! If you wanted to post a scan on the forums, I’m sure people would be amused.

symm’s problems were linked to cache settings being too low. Make sure your cache settings (which are now actually used!) are high enough. In the next version I’ll be setting higher defaults.

17. Laurence21 June 11th, 2008 3:04 pm

How is that multithreading patch coming along? :-)

18. elan June 11th, 2008 3:06 pm

@Laurence21: It hasn’t been changed since we first integrated it, AFAIK. There’s a Google Summer of Code project around frame-level multi-threading, but I haven’t heard much about it, or seen any check-ins.

19. hippojay June 11th, 2008 10:42 pm

Someone mentioned these patches to ffmpeg on xbmc.org – not sure if yuo have seen them or not.

One is for CABAC, but I’m not up with media decoding, so could be nothing..

20. jms_uk June 11th, 2008 11:04 pm

Looking great Elan. Still getting the consistent, but random audio drop-outs on x264 .mkv (with AC3 or DTS audio)

Seems to be occuring on any files I try so haven’t attempted to post you a sample for diagnosis. For a while thought it might be my Macbook or my A/V receiver but VLC and FrontRow/Perian don’t suffer the same problems. Its not a show stopper but thought I’d mention it again incase you get a small time too have another look

21. elan June 12th, 2008 12:31 am

@jms_uk: Refresh my memory, is this a new problem? Make sure you have your cache settings turned up, lots of people have run into problems like this with b7 because their cache settings were too low. Tweaking the values upwards has made things run more smoothly than ever for people. Please come to the forums if that doesn’t work and we’ll get you sorted out!

22. cranial Lethargy June 12th, 2008 4:19 am

jms, good to see you again. Cache schmash, tell us all your woes!

23. beto77 June 12th, 2008 5:32 am

I can confirm that increasing cache values greatly improves 1080p playback!! Thx elan !

24. Adam Nelson June 12th, 2008 8:12 am

Stella is an interesting discussion when compared from American and Brit perspectives.

From an American’s point of view, Stella is a fairly decent, but affordable and available import. Many view it as far superior to almost any American mass market brews (though like any beer preferences, these are strictly personal opinions, enjoy what you like). Since it’s an import, there’s a certain amount of high class associated with it, unlike the American mass market beers.

From what I’ve gathered from Brits, Stella has a completely different societal connotation in England due to the associations with the ‘chav’ culture, and other less than savory types.

A guy in a bar in the US drinking Stella would be seen as somewhat hip, and at least interested in beer as a quality product versus as a means to get drunk. In England, I think that perception is the opposite.

I visited London last year for about a week, and it practically brought a tear to my eye when I was in a pub having a pint of a great English ale, while the English gentlemen at the table next to me were having bottles of Budweiser (and paying more than I was for their beer). I guess it’s all down to personal perception of quality and societal connotation.

Okay, brewing sociology lesson over for today.

25. Laurence21 June 12th, 2008 8:39 am

Stella isn’t associated with chav culture in England, but rather with domestic abuse (in a tongue-in-cheek way). The classic image is an ungroomed man lounging on the couch in a wife-beater (ie a white vest), with a Stella in one hand and a baseball bat in the other.
    Budweiser is generally considered a crap, unsophisticated but drinkable beer. Are you sure they weren’t drinking Budwar (pronounced Budvar)? It’s from the original Czech brewery that sold the name Budweiser (but not the recipe!) to the US, and is worth every penny of its premium price!

26. Adam Nelson June 12th, 2008 9:38 am

Laurence,
    Thanks for the clarification about Stella and domestic abuse :-)

Yes, I’m sure it was American Anheiser-Busch Budweiser. I’ve seen enough of the bottles of the self proclaimed “king of beers” to recognize it from a mile away.

27. iordonez June 12th, 2008 6:46 pm

@ Laurence21

Ironically when I think Budweiser I think guy sitting on couch, mustard stains on wife beater, baseball on TV, Wife in kitchen cleaning up dinner with a black eye. Basically it brings out the “colorful” side of the USA in my mind.

28. elan June 12th, 2008 9:02 pm

@Adam Nelson: Thank you for the cultural reference points for my girl Stella. Just for the record, I’m drinking it in a very hip, non wife-abusing, non empire-building/hegemonistic fashion.

29. jms_uk June 12th, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi Elan/Cranial.. :)

I mentioned the issue of persistant but random audio drop outs ages ago. To be honest, its not something *anyone* else has mentioned and as I couldn’t get you a sample at the time I figured it wasn’t worth hassling over – not when so much other great work is being done :)

Basically, you can be playing a video file – any type it so happens; DiVX, x264 .mkv etc. and the audio will simply drop out for a second, before returning perfectly in sync. It happens once or twice in about 97% of playback cases for me… I’ve since upped the cache settings as suggested, although I’ll admit to flailing in the dark as to what a good starting point would be :)

Have registered for the forums, so happy to continue over there if its more appropriate :)

30. elan June 12th, 2008 9:18 pm

@jms_uk: I’ve noticed this in a few movies, and always just chalked it up to being like frame dropping, where occasionally it happens. There were some AC3/DTS sync fixes that *could* have helped in b7 (I think). Otherwise, check the logs, and you’ll likely see an discontinuity error when it happens, which I think means either a cache ran dry (network issue? brief cpu hog?) or there was a corruption in a file. Let’s continue over in the forums and see if other people have seen it and perhaps we can narrow it down more.

31. Weavus June 13th, 2008 1:56 am

I’ve seen audio drop outs as well. Does not matter if its HD or SD, machine is dual 3ghtz so it should have enough cpu. I’ve upped all the caches to max, perhaps thats the problem?

32. Weavus June 13th, 2008 1:58 am

Also, its not the encoding as I can jump back in the video and it won’t drop out in the same place all the time. Sometimes it seems to go for 30 mins without a dropout then you might get 3-4 in 10 mins.

33. Paul June 13th, 2008 2:28 am

The updates keep coming:D Getting greater everytime:)
    Just a question

- Is the audiogain not working? I use a receiver but the volume is very low.
    - And the same for IMDB cover & info. Can’t find an option but maybe I oversee it:)

34. jms_uk June 13th, 2008 3:09 am

Ok, I’ll check my logs.. see you over in the forums. Is there a thread for this already or should I start a new one? :)