Release 0.5.0b4: Weekend update - Plex Blog

Release 0.5.0b4: Weekend update

| 31 May 2008 | by 22 Comments

Here’s a tasty release which hopefully takes the edge off the weekend like a cold beer on a hot day. I felt bad because I think the last beta took a few steps back. Hopefully this one will set things back on the path to stability. Download is here (Bittorrent, HTTP) and source is here.

• FIX: “Pulsing” icons problem. Also fixes poor performance in library mode, and crashes when removing items from library or renaming them.
  • FIX: Extremely ill-advised change to fix the “simultaneous SSA subtitles problem“. I’m relying on bmfrosty, God Emperor of Subtitles, to tell me if it works and if I broke anything else in the process.
  • FIX: Logs are now saved in ~/Library/Logs, where they belong.
  • FIX: VobSub subtitles seem to show up now (this bug).
  • NEW: Rudd’s latest SSA patch for extracting embedded fonts. bmfrosty can play around and see if it helps things.
  • Updates to latest ffmpeg and linuxport code. This includes a few months of ffmpeg development, so quite a bit of things might be working better now. Let me know if you see any regressions.

Look for fixes and improvements to the Apple Remote and power/screensaver issues in the next betas.

Believe it or not, this is what Barkley used to look like.

40D-6864.jpg

1. atrus May 31st, 2008 2:58 pm

I havent seen anyone mentioning this before. But I must say, you are an excellent photographer. This picture only cements my earlier view of your skills in photography.

2. elan May 31st, 2008 3:02 pm

@atrus: Thank you very much, that’s very kind of you to say. It’s one of the hobbies that I take more seriously.

3. Ed May 31st, 2008 3:13 pm

Great. One issue I’d be interested in you covering in some blog post would be compatibility with XBMC. I know you’ve broken away and I fully support that, but it raises issues about OSXBMC’s support of 3rd party scripts and script’s support of OSXBMC… Are you going to make sure they remain compatible?

4. elan May 31st, 2008 3:22 pm

@Ed: As I said elsewhere, the tines of a fork run parallel to each other (at least on the forks I own). I don’t see any obvious reasons for distancing ourselves and breaking compatibility (say, for scripts and skins). I track the linuxport changes very carefully and cherry pick what makes sense (fixes for release branches, possibly unstable stuff to master).

You can think of us — for the moment, at least — as being like a Linux distribution that maintains its own source tree, makes it own releases, has its own priorities, and usually adds cool things to set themselves apart from the other ones. Once the 0.5 release is finalized, expect some cool brand new things to make it into the next cycle.

5. Levitate May 31st, 2008 3:25 pm

Since you now have forked from XBMC you should also change the name of the application before you you give out any more releses.

6. elan May 31st, 2008 3:29 pm

@Levitate: Trust me, we’re in the process. There’s a lot to change. For now, have patience and if you don’t feel like it, don’t download any more updates to the OS X Bad-ass Media Center until things are more to your liking.

7. bmfrosty May 31st, 2008 5:44 pm

@elan

Both of the subtitle patches appear to do what they’re meant to do. As far as I can tell, at this point, SSA/ASS subtitle support in XBMC is complete.
    Kudos to Rudd and yourself, June starts tomorrow.

8. iordonez May 31st, 2008 8:06 pm

@bmfrosty So now that subtitle support is fixed… what are you going to focus on now?

9. bmfrosty May 31st, 2008 9:12 pm

@iordonez
    I’m sure I’ll come up with something. I think I’ve identified some bugs with audio and subtitle track switching that I can bring to light. I also think that this project could become the primary video player for a lot of Mac users, and have some ideas on how to further that.

10. ChoccyHobNob May 31st, 2008 9:30 pm

I’m really glad we have someone so keen on subtitles on the team, I have a deaf friend who constantly bemoans the poor subtitle support in most media players, it’s good to keep poking him with the “you could do that in osxmbc if you had a mac” stick, I think he will be a convert before too long :-)

11. Bob Jelica May 31st, 2008 9:44 pm

Great work! Beers all around for hard working coders…

elan: If you would point out parts of the app that need extra testing with each release note (apple-style), that would be great, ’cause things are working real well generally that i find myself just happy-testing obvious things…

Keep it up!

Cheers,
    bob

12. beto77 May 31st, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks for your hard work elan & co.!!

Theres something I´ve wondering to ask for a couple weeks, It´s about scripts.I´ve never used xbmc on xbox before, so im new with it.I download some scripts just to try them out , I copied them on the scripts folder, and they showed up just fine on xbmc, but when I tried to use them, nothing happens. The icon kind of bounce, it puts (running) under it for a second and nothing. Just the youtube script seems to start, appears a new screen with the youtube logo, but nothing more, it keeps there forever.
    I configured my locations, but when I enter
    I also have problems with the weather thing, I configured my locations, but when I enter the weather menu, it just stays empty on every one of my locations, doesn´t show up any weather information on it.

Any ideas why?
    And sorry for my english, i´m spanish.

13. Daniel June 1st, 2008 12:12 am

As much as I love your work and seeing progress I do have some problems with the last builds:

a) Once I have entered fullscreen mode on my iMac i am unable to return to windowed mode without completely distorting everything on screen…

b) despite the fact that the XBOX build of XBMC plays MPEG2-HTTP based Streams OSXBMC just does not play them. Why? (yes I can give you sample data)

14. Mathijs June 1st, 2008 1:20 am

Just want to say ‘Thanks’ to all the people involved in Osxbmc :) Currently using xbmc on my xbox to full satisfaction but as soon as it dies i will be buying a mini and hopefully move to osxbmc. And seeing the progress you make i’m sure it will be a smooth one. Thanks for that!

15. Howie_in_AZ June 1st, 2008 1:24 am

Awesome, was just about to move the Mini HTPC to beta3 :)

16. jason.western.australia June 1st, 2008 3:10 am

elan, great release.

my girl lucy would like to know if barkley can be her boyfriend?

here’s a pic of her :)

she’s only 6 months old, so barkley would have to take her out on a heap of dates for digging, chasing ducks and catching balls (not his) for a couple of years before we let them do it doggy style ;)

17. Soner June 1st, 2008 4:03 am

When do you plan to add some “Mac centric” features ?
    Juste like iPhoto and iTunes integration. Ah, and of course, thanks to everyone who works on this.

PS : The new release of the Aeon skin fix the graphic problems on Mac Mini. Oh my god Front Row is dead and burried….

18. movingdecimals June 1st, 2008 6:52 am

after installing this version i was not able to connect to my saved smb shares. i had to connect in osx before the shares in osxbmc would work. i never had to do that before.

i look forward to the next version with better apple remote support.

thanks for your hard work.

19. Patrick June 6th, 2008 3:02 pm

Does this mean that subtitles in MKV will be displayed as the encoder intended? i.e. fonts/colors/sizes and not set to a default as in previous versions of XBMC?

20. bmfrosty June 6th, 2008 3:19 pm

@Patrick

Yes, although there are differing opinions on which way is better.

21. Patrick June 6th, 2008 7:02 pm

I would assume the option to have both methods of rendering font would be good (i.e. override the encoder’s font settings if the user decides they like another font better). Thanks for the help though :)

22. bmfrosty June 6th, 2008 10:42 pm

@Patrick
    There’s currently a lot of discussion about this. We should know more later.