Release 0.5.0b3: Back on Track - Plex Blog

Release 0.5.0b3: Back on Track

| 30 May 2008 | by 33 Comments

Alright, it’s been way too long since the last release! I apologize. Profusely. I’ve been busy getting the code moved over to Github and taking care of some other related things. It might seem like all I’ve been doing is drinking beer, but I assure you, that’s far from the truth. Really.

I’m going to write another post tomorrow detailing how totally awesome git and GitHub are, with some detailed instructions on how you can contribute to the project as a developer. For now, I’ll leave you with a link to the tagged source for this release.

Clearly we still have some rebranding/renaming to do; for now, imagine OSXBMC as standing for “OS X Barkley’s Media Center” or “OS X Bad-ass Media Center”.

Here is what’s new in this release:

• NEW : Support for Aliases.
  • FIX: Listing directories with broken symlinks is wonky (things went missing).
  • FIX : Timezone off-by-one issue (really fixed this time!)
  • FIX : Mouse cursor sometimes shows up. I double-doggy dare it to show up now!
  • NEW: libdvdcss is included, which should help with DVD playing (thanks, tokyovigilante!)

Also, I’ve updated to the latest Linux code, which has lots of good stuff as well. Vulkanr has made some great progress on getting libcdio into shape (with the help of davilla), and as a result, support for media on optical disks should be along shortly.

Here are the links (torrent, HTTP) to the release. Since a lot has changed since the last one, I’m sure I probably screwed something up.

Here’s your dose of Barkley; he’s swimming around in some salt water pools and watching Anna take a dive (and probably wondering why it looks like she only has one leg).

40D-0942.jpg

1. Mr T May 30th, 2008 12:13 am

Sweet. Will try it out this weekend.

2. nix May 30th, 2008 12:14 am

Thx for your great work

3. Danny2fst4u May 30th, 2008 12:21 am

Great!!! Thanks. Keep up the good work!

4. fatez May 30th, 2008 1:20 am

Hy elan, 10x for ur great work!

there is any change to have the track : “Improve AC3/DTS passthrough” in the next release?

10x a lot

5. tokyovigilante May 30th, 2008 1:41 am

Hey, no problem. Thanks for the ongoing hard work. If I get a chance, I might look at 5.1 AAC downmixing. I don’t think AC3 on-the-fly transcoding is completely off the cards either, but you’d need another encoder layer in the sound system.

BTW, any thoughts on PortAudio vs straight CoreAudio now that you’ve forked?

6. Ozz May 30th, 2008 1:49 am

Nice to hear from you again! ;-)
    Sins version 0.5 i use your app almost daily. I now have a Mac Mini dedicated to your app.
    B.T.W. Are you going to implement pulldown for 23,976 fps to 60 Hz in the future?

7. MB May 30th, 2008 1:58 am

You guys rock! OS X Beer-powered Media Center leaves the others sipping tea

8. Johan May 30th, 2008 2:15 am

Thx Elan, great work! For me, the biggest issue right now is the loud fans when idle. Has any progress been made regarding this? I’ll try to add some more info to the existing ticket when I can.

9. Lars May 30th, 2008 2:19 am

@Johan I have this idle problem on my MacBook. 15-30% CPU i Activity Monitor.

10. CurryKitten May 30th, 2008 5:11 am

Yep – I noticed the fan noise on my Mac Mini last night. It always takes me by surprise as it’s normally as quiet as a mouse. Certainly anything that can be done to lessen the cpu utlization when idle would help.

11. Robert May 30th, 2008 6:29 am

Hey, where was that photo taken? That looks like some Pahoehoe in the background, but I’m not quite sure…

PS: Thank you for making this kickass app!

12. tv May 30th, 2008 7:00 am

Great work! Yet to try this but sure will when I have time. Does the fork have already it’s irc channel? Is there any need for mirroring now?

13. praxis22 May 30th, 2008 7:44 am

I’m down with “Bad-ass” :) Nice photo btw!

I was actually tooling around with XBMC last night on my xbox, booted it up meaning to play a game, and got into watching movie trailers, and TED talks. It’s still the slickest piece of software I’ve seen in 20+ years. Amazing what you can do with commodity hardware.

14. can't make it run! May 30th, 2008 7:48 am

Hello

I don’t seem able to make it run: this is what the log says:

18:09:22 T:2687287200 M:1880494080 WARNING: CreateFile, error 2 opening file , flags:4, mode:100.
    18:09:22 T:2687287200 M:1880485888 INFO: msg: PICTURE::LoadImage: Unable to open image: Error: (2)
    18:09:22 T:2687287200 M:1880485888 ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image
    18:09:22 T:2687287200 M:1880485888 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: /Applications/OSXBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/media/splash.png

Anybody knows what file is it trying to open? Doesn’t seem a matter of permissions. The executable has dependencies on

vs@misty ~]$ otool -L /Applications/OSXBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC |grep opt
    /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
    /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)

which can’t be right…

I have tried to raise a ticket, but apparently I don’t have permission to do so.
    Thanks.

15. daniel May 30th, 2008 9:43 am

hey I was wondering if anybody else had trouble with some of the streaming media scripts like comedy central, really good job on the app, it a amazing, if it isnt just me though please try to fix this

16. Chris Weiss May 30th, 2008 11:11 am

For what it’s worth, a quick Google search shows nobody’s got “osxmc”.

17. Brad May 30th, 2008 11:57 am

OSXBMC has given me all the functionality I was really wishing Front Row had. Congratulations of producing a top-quality program.

18. Volante May 30th, 2008 1:17 pm

Nice, album art is finally working for me!

One question tho, is it just me, or is the volume much lower?

19. elan May 30th, 2008 1:28 pm

@Volante: The volume amplification changed in the linuxport code to be logarithmic instead of linear. I decided to include the patch even though I did notice that there was a large range of the volume control where the output was effectively silent. If enough people are finding this an issue, I’ll revert the patch in the next beta. Gotta love GIT!

20. elan May 30th, 2008 1:35 pm

@tokyovigilante: AAC downmixing, AC3 transcoding = tasty!

@Johan: Last time I checked, the reason for the CPU usage when idle was actually because the code keeps drawing all the text from scratch again every frame. Implementing a cache would fix that.

@Robert: The photo is taken roughly here http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=21.020739,-156.585002&spn=0.027681,0.030513&z=15

@tv: No need for mirroring at the moment as we’ve moved to S3. We’ll probably use Campfire instead of IRC if we have a need to real-time chat.

@can’t make it run: Try running on the command line “OSXBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC” and see if it prints out anything helpful. What does the Crash Report say?

21. bmfrosty May 30th, 2008 3:42 pm

@elan

I’d really like to see irc as it is really ubiquitous. Of course I wouldn’t be opposed if you manage to bridge Campfire with an IRC channel……

22. Levitate May 30th, 2008 6:08 pm

How about “Mactastic Media Center” as the new name?

or “Maclicious Media Center”
    or “Devishly Dashing Media Center”
    or “Cowboy Media Center”

I do not think you can you can use anything with “OSX” in it because of copyright, if you do then Apple may force you to change the name again later anyway.

bestmediacenterintheworld.com is also available ;)

23. Robert May 30th, 2008 9:48 pm

The new app name is OSXBMC, and the Apple remote wont start it when pressing “Menu”. Rename the app to XBMC and the Apple remote will work like a charm. :)

Perhaps something that will be fixed in the next build if the app name will be OSXBMC from now?

24. Chris May 30th, 2008 10:11 pm

Thanks for the great release.

Is there definite plan to incorporate win32 dll loading like xbmc for xbox currently does? That would it all round and pretty complete as there are proprietary codecs out there that people do use. But I guess it is not urgent but nevertheless it’s good to have the option there.

And definitely mplayer is great too

25. imfloflo May 30th, 2008 10:28 pm
  26. Levitate May 31st, 2008 6:23 am

XBMC have copyright on “XBMC” and that is very clear copyright law, so you can not name any other multimedia application to something with the “XBMC” letter sequencing naming in it, so even though XBMC is open source does not mean that their name is. It would be like you naming your own Linux distrobution for MicrosoftOSX or AppleWindows, yeah right! Microsoft and Apple copyright lawers would have a field day on those two, haha!

Anyway, I do not think the name should have an “X” in it, that is so 20th century :P

Welcome the 21th century! Lets start fresh!

MacMC (as in short for Mac Media Center)
    Mac Desktop Media Center
    Mac Theatre
    Home Theatre Media Center
    AMP (Another Media Player)
    AMC (Another Media Center)
    MediaZone (MZ)
    Media Zone Center (MZC)
    Media Zone Player (MZP)
    Mac Media Dash (or Mac Media Dashboard)
    Media Station (or MediaStation)
    Show Station (or Show Station)
    MediaHub
    Media Plaza
    Total Home Entertainment Center

Why not spell “Center” as “Centre” instead to spice things up?

27. iordonez May 31st, 2008 7:57 am

@Robert Re-name the application back, open it and toggle remote off then on again and toggle always running, this should create the proper files to allow remote support to start with the new path.

@Levitate We will work on having a new name shortly, Can’t do everything at once. We don’t want to infringe on XBMC trademark and hope to have something new before it turns into an issue.

28. Phullup May 31st, 2008 10:04 am

Hi!

As ever thanks for all your hard work getting this going on the Mac.

Is anyone else having problems streaming DVD files with the new version? It won’t open .ISO, IMG or TS_folders. Smaller formats such as avi and a .vob still to work. When i revert back to the previous version everything works fine. I haven’t tried opening these files locally yet.

Due to the application name change I’ve got the new version and the previous version installed at the same time. Could this be causing problems?

29. Mr T May 31st, 2008 10:11 am

Holy crap! What have you done?
    The performance boost since the last version I downloaded is incredible. I have a Spiderman 3 1080p x264 intro that has a bitrate of 25MBit in some places. Older versions of OSXBMC didnt stand a chance on my 1.83GHz 1GB RAM Mac Mini.

Now with the new version I didnt even lose a frame. INCREDIBLE!
    :D

30. Infidel May 31st, 2008 4:19 pm

You are my hero. I can finally replace my geriatric first gen x-box with a way over priced mac mini…

And I couldn’t be happier!

All hail the great XBMC coding-gods!

31. Michael July 23rd, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks, keep on the good work

32. mafis August 1st, 2008 10:49 pm

Is AAC 5.1 on-the-fly possible on a mac ?

mafis

33. elan August 1st, 2008 10:55 pm

@mafis: AAC 5.1 is converted to DD (AC3) on the fly, yes, if that’s what you mean. Surround sound for Apple Movie Trailers, yay!