Interview with AutomatedHome - Plex Blog

Interview with AutomatedHome

| 28 Apr 2008 | by 16 Comments

Mark McCall from AutomatedHome was kind enough to interview me about the direction of XBMC for OS X. I know what you’re all thinking, I should stop wasting time and just get back to coding, and you’re absolutely right. I’m totally ashamed of myself. But if it brings new users to our beloved media centre (notice my annoying British spelling), then perhaps it’s for the better.

1. bardos April 28th, 2008 11:04 pm

barkley comes from a long line of intel dogs. hope he’s taking the change to MAC in stride. anyhows, i always knew that dogs were good programmers.

2. jms_uk April 29th, 2008 12:04 am

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with the British spelling thankyouverymuch.. we *did* invent the language afterall! ;-)

3. Ed April 29th, 2008 2:27 am

Indeed, British spelling is much appreciated. You’re the ones who bastardised the language! ;)

4. Michael April 29th, 2008 4:44 am

Oh really? Here I was thinking you guys just stole bits from Latin and German. :)

5. jms_uk April 29th, 2008 5:11 am

Now you’re just splitting hairs :)

6. Gamester17 April 30th, 2008 12:23 am

No offence to you Elan, but what annoys me is that AutomatedHome calls the software/projec OSXBMC and not the officially given name “XBMC for Mac OS X”. The article also makes it seems like you are the only developer behind XBMC which I am sure will not lift team-spirit over at xbmc.org (the official XBMC project site) and Team-XBMC.

By the way, here are some fact statisics to back up my point:

7. elan April 30th, 2008 12:42 am

Gamester17: No offense to you, but the interview was about XBMC on OS X specifically, not XBMC in general. This is stated numerous times in the interview. Everyone here on this blog knows that XBMC was written over many years by many talented coders working all over the world, all of whom I have the deepest respect for and have very much enjoyed working with.

That having been said, I’ve asked that the first paragraph of the interview (which I didn’t write) be changed to more clearly explain the fact that what we’re doing is a port, and Barkley didn’t write the entire media centre himself.

8. AutomatedHome.com April 30th, 2008 9:58 am

Guys – first of all my apologies if I have offended anyone in the XBMC community. My intentions were purely to help “the cause” by further publicizing XBMC, and in particular the OS X port which has been where my personal interest lies since I switched to the Mac.

As Elan says the opening paragraph was written by me, and perhaps I worded it clumsily and should have made it more clear that OS X is one part of a huge award winning open source project.

Automated Home has covered XBMC for many years now, we are huge fans and we are always willing to help in any way we can so if there’s anything else we can do or cover, please get in touch.

Many thanks

Mark McCall
    Editor
    AutomatedHome.com

9. Cranial Lethargy April 30th, 2008 3:30 pm

On a completely unrelated note…. There is a large Apple community on this forum here in Australia, with some very talented developers lurking about. Elan, do you mind if I link there to releases and updates on here?

10. elan April 30th, 2008 3:36 pm

@Cranial Lethargy: Not at all, that’s very kind of you. Feel free to give out my email as you see fit if people want to contact me directly.

11. Cranial Lethargy April 30th, 2008 3:56 pm

Cheers mate. Will do.

And as always, nice work.

12. Cranial Lethargy April 30th, 2008 4:13 pm

Have been following it for a while, but now will alert of new releases etc.

13. rob May 2nd, 2008 1:18 am

Nice to see the interview. Being a long time XBMC user I am extremely happy to have it on OSX. also Down with C++!!!!! I’ve had many arguments with coworkers about the same topic.

14. elan May 2nd, 2008 10:09 am

@rob: Old habits die hard, I guess. I used to be a total Emacs/C++ guy, but with Eclipse/Java (or VS/C#, for that matter), I feel like I’m on another planet in terms of productivity. Especially with all the refactoring goodness.

15. rob May 3rd, 2008 1:52 am

Refactoring is one of the keys to success using .Net. It opens a whole new world of possibilities. I also love have UI writing competions against my c++ coworkers. “Oh, that dialog box is going to take you a week”, poor muffin.

16. Gamester17 May 3rd, 2008 5:00 am

@rob, you do know that XBMC is written in C++ right?