Accessing your iTunes library - Plex Blog

Accessing your iTunes library

| 27 Apr 2008 | by 24 Comments

I’ve read about a few ways of doing this, but this evening it occurred to me that using iTunesFS might be really easy and work quite well. Sure enough, load it up, add the new share and you’re browsing and playing your iTunes library.

The only thing I haven’t figured out is how to share this new FUSE filesystem via SMB. It appears that you have to set the allow_other option, but I had no luck getting this to work via sysctl. If you can figure it out, post a comment!

untitled.jpg

1. jms_uk April 28th, 2008 3:18 am

Sounds good. Haven’t got a chance to try this, but does this mean you’d get access to music file browsing via “album art” a-la CoverFlow and the other views in OSXBMC?

2. phunkysai April 28th, 2008 4:51 am

XBMC already has “Coverflow” if you switch the view in the default skin.

3. splatcollision April 28th, 2008 5:10 am

that’s dope. anybody write an iPhotoFS yet?

4. jms_uk April 28th, 2008 5:28 am

Ah cool. So using that “coverflow” view, plus ITunesFS with the correct share in XBMC will mean my music should show up by album art the same way they do in ITunes? (I have ITunes set to display music by album title currently, so I just browse through the album covers) That’s what I was getting at.

5. jms_uk April 28th, 2008 7:05 am

Just tried it. Works fine but it only allows access to the ITunes library (as it says on the tin) :)

Album art in coverflow not getting picked up unless there’s some other config that I’ve missed – so I’m guessing that full OSXBMC -> ITunes integration is still on the radar in order to have something like that working :)

6. Soner April 28th, 2008 7:13 am

It works for me, but i can’t see album covers.

7. iordonez April 28th, 2008 8:53 am

@Soner Album art is stored in a different database, I’m not sure if iTunesFS reads this database.

8. Bodaniel Jeanes April 28th, 2008 12:53 pm

Now that there is using the old noodle! good idea …. will try this tonight for sure.

9. Cranial Lethargy April 28th, 2008 4:03 pm

Give this script a run in iTunes to save album artwork to the album folder. That should help.

10. freakshow April 29th, 2008 10:46 am

Actually what iTunes does is stores any artwork you’ve downloaded from the iTunes store in a separate database, not in the ID3 tags. To get them to show up in any music player you will need to embed them. Doug’s scripts has just the right script to embed the album artwork:

11. Cranial Lethargy April 29th, 2008 11:17 am

You’re dead right freakshow. I should have mentioned that as well. But it’s wise to run both scripts so you have a backup of album art in case of library migration/ ID3 tag corruption (yes, it happens).

12. Alexis April 29th, 2008 2:12 pm

So is anyone able to connect to an iTunesFS volume over SMB without XBMC. I have been having trouble getting the volume to load over SMB (although it will mount over AFP). Maybe its just in my setup, but I can’t seem to mount an iTunesFS volume over SMB from a Mac or a PC. Maybe it has to do with the fact that MacFuse mounts volumes as Network Volumes and not Local Volumes? Apparently you can change this behavior by using the -o local option in macfuse ( http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/FAQ ), but this would need to be implemented in iTunesFS and it comes with some warning.

13. Danny May 1st, 2008 2:13 pm

I can’t get iTunesFS to load. I installed the macfuse core and ran the ‘default write’ to let it find my iTunes xml, but still no go.

14. Danny May 1st, 2008 2:14 pm

And to those not able to connect over SMB, did you try turning symolic links on in iTunesFS?

defaults write com.mulle-kybernetik.znek.iTunesFS SymbolicLinks YES

15. certuna May 2nd, 2008 4:55 am

Local iTunes library mounting is definitely a good idea, but why should it try to mount it via SMB if it can already connect through DAAP? On a different note, OSXBMC seems to have a bit of a problem handling my large (70,000 song) library over UPnP: discovering the library is no problem but it seems to time out before the (huge) library can be loaded.

16. elan May 2nd, 2008 10:10 am

@certuna: I found DAAP support inside XBMC to be buggy and slow, hence why I was looking for alternative means, besides the obvious reason of not being able to connect to iTunes 7. Yeah, UPnP has many of the same problems.

17. alexis May 2nd, 2008 7:05 pm

@Danny Symolic linking does nothing to alleviate the SMB problem in my case. It may be related to the -o local problem I mentioned before but I honestly can’t say.

@elan You can use Firefly media server to get back Daap support in iTunes 7. In its default state it seems to work ok (you can see your library and all your playlists), but the titles look really wonky in XBMC last time I tried it (whereas connecting to the server with iTunes they look fine). Maybe baseline XBMC will fix this eventually, but like you said its slow over DAAP and it would be pretty cool to see iTunesFS work out.

18. charlesv May 16th, 2008 10:02 am

has anyone tried sharing over xmpp? I was gonna give it a shot later with ccxstream… i’ve been liking the simplicity of smb, but itunesfs could have me switching back

19. charlesv May 16th, 2008 10:03 am

I meant xbmsp… brain’s not right today

20. CharlesV May 16th, 2008 1:13 pm

Confirmed: running it with xbmsp shares successfully. I ran the following:

ccxstream -r /volumes -f

and it showed up on my xbmsp share with the rest of my volumes. The only trick was to turn off tag reading in the music settings section, otherwise the id3 track # tags will override the filename tags iTunesFS uses for track ordering on playlists. Small price to pay (and besides, itunes is already naming things correctly based on your tags, right? :))

21. Steven May 19th, 2008 8:08 am

If you really want to share iTunesFS over afp/smb, you can secondary mount the iTunesFS volume in an smb-shared directory. I used the sshfs from the macfuse project at http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/MACFUSE_FS_SSHFS

Here is the script I have to load iTunesFS, then mount it in my ~/Movies directory:

open /Applications/iTunesFS.app
    sleep 15
    /usr/local/bin/sshfs USER@localhost:/Volumes/iTunesFS ~/Movies/iTunesFS_Share -oallow_other,rdonly,nolocalcaches,volname=iTunesFS_Share

22. Steven May 20th, 2008 2:11 pm

Regarding my tip above – it seems that the the volume is only visible over smb://, and NOT afp:// – which is fine for XBMC but annoying for file sharing.

23. Steven January 30th, 2009 9:43 am

UPDATE: iTunesFS now supports sharing over AFP and SMB (in my testing, anyway). Just do “defaults write com.mulle-kybernetik.znek.iTunesFS FUSEOptionAllowOther -bool YES”

24. Leonardo November 12th, 2009 1:29 am

Is this still needed to do, even with Plex 0.8.3 ?
    I mean, after I installed Plex 0.8.3 I see that it has a iTunes Menu, and it sees my iTunes library. Does this iTunesFS does anything different?