Release 0.4.0: Python and Virtual File System - Plex Blog

Release 0.4.0: Python and Virtual File System

| 30 Mar 2008 | by 35 Comments

It’s been hell trying to get anything done lately. A friend is in town getting married and we’ve been partaking in all the wedding activities, which involve an ungodly amount of high quality alcohol. And we all all know how alcohol and coding don’t mix.

Anyway, better late than never. We’ve decided to push the version number up a bit more than usual, to reflect the major changes in this version:

• NEW: Work has been completed on the Mach5 Ruby script, which processes Mach-O library files and performs mapping on symbols (so that printf calls __wrap_printf, for example). This enables the XBMC virtual file system to work. I’ve processed all the libraries, so we should be good to go. What this means in practical terms is that things like reading images over SMB shares should now work.
  • NEW: Relying also on Mach5 is Python scripting support, new to this release. I will note first and foremost that Python support is unstable, and crashes a lot. This is a known problem with the Linux port of XBMC too, and I consider it a high priority issue. However, Python is stable enough for you to play a few games of Tetris, or even view some Apple Movie Trailers (remember that 5-channel AAC support is lacking).
  • UPDATED: I’ve updated ffmpeg to the latest trunk, and added a few XBMC patches that were missing. Certain MKV files that wouldn’t play at all or would crash will now work.
  • UPDATED: The XBMC code is near trunk as well; I’m missing a bunch of changes that went in the day or two, because I haven’t had a chance to test things out.
  • FIX: Bug #141 has been fixed (XBMC crashes when changing aspect ratio with the “z” key).
  • FIX: Bug #106 has been fixed (Initial graphics glitch when playing a movie). Thanks to d4rk for helping me out with this fix.
  • FIX: The skin hang-on-exit problem (which I worked around) was actually fixed by charlydoes. Unfortunately I’ve noticed that Python can cause a similar problem.
  • FIX: Bug #135 has been fixed (Playing Apple Lossless files in Library mode doesn’t work).

There is also a known issue in this version with loading RAW files. I worked for a while today trying to work around it, to no avail. Essentially, the problem is that the performance reading the RAW files (which appear to be read byte by byte) is extremely bad through XBMC’s VFS layer. I tried to enable some file buffering, but I wasn’t able to get it to work.

This photo of Barley illustrates how I feel after the last week…

IMG_8408.jpg

1. Muratje March 30th, 2008 11:29 pm

Great Job again!

2. [...] información: Release 0.4.0: Python and Virtual File System Descarga: OSXBMC [...]

3. fpoil March 31st, 2008 12:00 am

Great news…..it’s time to go home and test

4. cortez March 31st, 2008 12:55 am

Finally rar & image support works. Now i im off to order Mac Mini :D Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you Donation is on the way as well

5. JoacimW March 31st, 2008 1:38 am

Thank you so much, your work is very much appreciated and I will donate some money next month! Awesome!

6. Matt March 31st, 2008 3:00 am

elan and team: Thanks very much for all your hard work

How large will the DMG get before there is parity between Linux/Mac and the Xbox trunk?

7. jagaskywalker March 31st, 2008 3:01 am

First of all, great thanks for your work.. I was considering moving to the dark side and buy a PC, but now I’ll wait for the mini to be updated !

I downloaded latest version and copies some scripts within the script folder (tetris and apple movie trailers), but even if the appear within XBMC they refuse to execute…. shall I do something else appart from copying the file to the folder ?

(I use macbookpro and leopard)

8. Weavus March 31st, 2008 3:20 am

Could have been worse, could have been an ungodly amount of low quality alcohol…

9. phunkysai March 31st, 2008 3:46 am

Holy shiz!

If I could send you some s3x via paypal, I would…

10. spiff March 31st, 2008 4:08 am

elan; to adress the raw problem. prepend filereader:// to the urls. this enables cached reads automagically

11. platanito21 March 31st, 2008 5:44 am

Great update :-) will test it out when I get home tonight. When do you think 5.1 AAC support will be added? (I only need this for full apple trailer support. Most of my movies have AC3 or DTS so its not a big issue).

12. maxrogers March 31st, 2008 6:46 am

“SuuuuWEEEETTT!!!” I have seriously refreshed your page 12 times a day for the past few days! Nice work Elan! We LOVE you!

13. Melenas March 31st, 2008 7:20 am

You have a new fan. Good work.

14. niad March 31st, 2008 8:41 am

A BIG THANK YOU for this update. The Scripts is a major useful part of XBMC for me. I am impressed. Another donation is on it’s way.

niklas
    sweden

15. Dave March 31st, 2008 8:42 am

I’ve just recently been turned on to OSX XBMC and let me tell you how I can’t wait for this project to mature more and more. I’ve just began tinkering with it (with mixed success — but hey, it’s early), but it’ll probably cause me to dedicate a Mac Mini to the cause sooner than later.

Keep on truckin’

16. phunkysai March 31st, 2008 10:45 am

The scripts are definitely buggy, for sure. I have to restart XBMC every time I want to use a different script, he he.

I was hoping Revision3 would work, but oh well…at least the basics work. Can’t wait til they’re all supported! Thanks elan!

17. JAres March 31st, 2008 11:20 am

Thx great update

18. gebur March 31st, 2008 8:13 pm

Awesome release! Thanks and keep it up! ;)

19. Arnout March 31st, 2008 11:33 pm

0.4.0 freezes on exit. I use the default skin and didn’t modify any settings. I watched some apple trailers using the new scripting, then upon shutdown the “shutdown” label moves to the top and stays there. Strangely enough the mouse cursor is the regular OSX cursor again but the screen doesn’t come back. I can also hear the fan speed increasing so something is sucking CPU power.

20. Paul April 1st, 2008 2:13 am

@Arnout
    had the same problem at 1.6
    With 1.7 the issue was solved.

The error only occured when using the Aeon skin in 1.6

21. Weavus April 1st, 2008 2:27 am

@Arnout
    Please read the changelist:

22. Arnout April 1st, 2008 3:11 am

Doh!

23. Gloom April 1st, 2008 3:40 am

Hey,

I’m having problems running this on an Intel-based iMac with OSX 10.4.x — after installation, when I click the launch-icon, it just bounces once and disappears.

24. cyantist April 1st, 2008 4:40 am

******** XBMC for OS X currently only works on Leopard/Intel ********

25. cyantist April 1st, 2008 4:42 am

Nice work elan.. This new version seems to be the most stable yet.. I’ve put it through it’s paces and the thing I’m most happy about is the movie library mode seems to be working correctly now.. Keep up the good work..

26. Erlend April 1st, 2008 6:22 am

Since my xbox got struck by ligthening my life hasnt been the same. I bought a mac mini thinking frontrow would be a good replacement… It was not. I didnt know the xbmc port to mac had come as far as to a beta. But when I found out I was quick to download it, and I must say, even without everything in place it works much better then frontrow. You are great!

27. phunkysai April 1st, 2008 7:13 am

elan, do you want us filing bugs for crashes when using scripts yet, or wait for a more stable release?

XBMC is crashing sometimes when using the Youtube script or Apple Movie Trailers.

Just let us know…

28. elan April 1st, 2008 8:48 am

@cortez: Excellent, this was the VFS fix. Glad it worked.

@Matt: Funny question :) It grew a lot this time because I had to include virtually the whole Python 2.4 installation. The library was needed because of VFS, but it’s possible that it could be pointed at the system installation, but…OS X includes 2.3 and 2.5, but *not* 2.4.

@jagaskywalker: The scripts that were included should run fine. Depending on where you downloaded AMT from, it probably won’t, because only bleeding edge versions have the OS X binary libraries needed, which is why I included it.

@platanito21: Check the Trac site, I’ve been trying to organize the roadmap a bit so that people can see what’s coming when, and vote on bug-fixes/features by adding comments to the Tickets.

@phunkysai: The core reason for the instability for the scripts in general Python-related code inside XBMC. The problem is easy to reproduce, so don’t bother filing bugs, and thanks for asking!

29. Gloom April 1st, 2008 9:09 am

cyantist: Thank you — it just goes to show that it pays to read the basic readme before asking uninformed questions. :) I’ll just upgrade the iMac to Leopard then!

Thanks for working on OSXBMC – XBMC for my Xbox is just amazing and I’m looking for a replacement (that handles HD stuff as well), and OSXBMC looks like just the thing. :)

30. Gloom April 1st, 2008 10:51 am

..and I second the PayPal Donation-button suggestion!

31. airtraxx April 2nd, 2008 5:06 am

Hi guys. I was wondering if 5.1 sound works for everyone. I have my mac pro hooked up using my receiver but I can’t seem to get 5.1 dd or dts working. When the movie file plays, I don’t hear anything. I set up the audio hardware in XBMC to output using the digital audio output and nothing happens. I can only get sound in the videos to play if I choose analog. I can hear the system sounds but never during video playback. I tested out the same video in VLC and selected output to ac3 in the preferences and it’s able to playback the movie with 5.1 sound. I was just wondering if anyone is having the same problem. I connect my mac to the receiver using a digital coaxial cable. If I can’t play back my vids in 5.1 surround it’s cool, but I would really like to be able to since I have the hardware. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Elan for all your hard work. XBMC is great on the xbox and it’s freakin awesome on OSX.

32. airtraxx April 2nd, 2008 9:49 am

Update:

Ah never mind my above post. Everything is working now after hooking my machine up to the receiver using an optical connection. Everything’s working out great now. Thanks.

33. Zoltan April 3rd, 2008 7:51 am

High CPU Load on Idle ( 22 – 25 % ).
    OSX 10.5.2 Dockbar is shuttering.

OSX 10.5.2
    Macbook Pro 3.1
    4096 MB RAM

34. Abhimanyu Chirimar April 7th, 2008 2:53 am

Great work guys

Quick question – is it possible to go full screen and not be in windowed mode on a macbook/10.5.2/4gb/2.2ghz?

Thanks.

35. Cayce April 7th, 2008 8:14 pm

@Abhimanyu: Press backslash…also check out the FAQ.