X3100 problem fixed! - Plex Blog

X3100 problem fixed!

| 27 Feb 2008 | by 16 Comments

I need to clean up some code and then I’ll make a release later on tonight (and check in my changes, sorry it’s been so long). It turned out to be a blatant bug in the fragment shader runtime or assembler, which I have worked around. More details later.

grab2.jpg

1. fall-line February 27th, 2008 12:19 pm

Congrats! I don’t even own a x3100 based system, but I know that this is going to make a lot of people very happy. I’m already hooked enough on my (mac mini based) XBMC install that I was starting to feel bad for the poor x3100 people.

Again, wonderful work Elan and crew.

2. me February 27th, 2008 12:31 pm

What’s that a screencap of?

3. loa February 27th, 2008 12:36 pm

2001

4. iDavid February 27th, 2008 12:44 pm

Awesome detective work Elon!

Now one starts to think about what kind of dedicated Apple box to put next to your HDTV set. A mac-mini (still wondering if Apple is going to rev the mini and slap an X3100 in it)?

An Apple TV? Does and ATV have the power to drive OSXBMC?

I really want to utilize UPNP or perhaps bonjour from OSXBMC to get at my collection of media outside of iTunes.

5. elan February 27th, 2008 12:54 pm

@iDavid: The Mac Mini has been what we’re targeting. It seems the best combination of form-factor, price and speed, but it really depends on what you’re looking for.

To everyone, thanks for the kind words and support.

6. Gareth February 27th, 2008 1:23 pm

Glad this project is getting alot of progress unlike the ps3xbmc port. Keep up the great work. I will be buying on the the new macbook pro this week look forward to testing on that.

7. ryan February 27th, 2008 1:45 pm

You Rock!

8. Ryan February 27th, 2008 2:04 pm

Fantastic. Thanks for your persistent efforts on this project! I can’t wait for remote support and flawless 1080p playback — then I’m going to be in the market for a Mac Mini to replace my Windows Media Center machine.

9. Matt February 27th, 2008 3:35 pm

@iDavid:

If Apple does upgrade the mini you would hope they would do so in June/July when the Centrino 2 platform (Montevina) is released.

This will provide many benefits including:
    - Penryn Intel Core 2 Duo processors
    - 1066 FSB, DDR3 Memory
    - GMA X4500 which provides improved VC1/AVC video decoding

I won’t hold my breath… but I hope they finally do update the mini and not kill it off.

10. dailydisco February 27th, 2008 5:07 pm

Wow! Thanks Elan!! I can’t wait to use it! If there is a list of testing you would like us to do, please let us know! I was already thrilled with streaming performance over wi-fi with the pink screen… the buffering works so well compared to Front Row with Transport Streams… Front Row was somewhat unuseable for me.

11. gusax February 27th, 2008 8:22 pm

Thank you very much for your hard work!

12. maxrogers February 27th, 2008 8:32 pm

Elan, once again you impress all of us with your diligent work on this project! Congrats on solving the problem!

13. asg February 27th, 2008 9:44 pm

Nice! Will ATI owners also benefit of the changes you made to the shader code?

14. Rafael February 27th, 2008 10:01 pm

I’ve been waiting for this…
    Thanks Elan.
    BTW You have an awesome dog

15. Rez February 27th, 2008 11:49 pm

Yessssss! You’re awesome!

I am so looking forward to actually watch some videos on my x3100 MacBook.

16. Rafael February 28th, 2008 12:53 am

Officially been added to my dock will donate some beer soon