Shortest Release Cycle Ever: 0.0.6 - Plex Blog

Shortest Release Cycle Ever: 0.0.6

| 25 Jan 2008 | by 18 Comments

OK, I figured out why DTS wasn’t working. I suppose it would help to actually build libDTS. Now passthrough works with both AC3 and DTS for me and Scott, who has a MacBook Pro.

The audio code isn’t perfect yet, but it’s now much more likely to work correctly, and of course, I’d love to hear how it works for you.

Pick up the 0.0.6 binary and also the libDCA binary. Put the latter in the system/players/dvdplayer directory. Yes, I know, it should update itself auto-magically, and tell stories to put your kids to sleep. One thing at a time.

1. Martin January 26th, 2008 1:55 am

AC3 and DTS works now – Amazing work by Elan :)

Still, the playback speed is a little bit off.

Is there any way to set 24fps video playback in XBMC?

PS. Anyone got Scripts working?

2. yaneku January 26th, 2008 2:32 am

elan: Beautiful sound from my speakers :-) AC3 and DTS works like a charm.

I haven’t noticed any problem with the playback speed, I’ll have to try that more later.

3. HSL January 26th, 2008 2:34 am

anyone tried this running on a hacked AppleTV?

4. LavaWeb January 26th, 2008 6:32 am

Hey all, thanks for the hard work on this project. I’d really like to try this out and see where I can help, but I can’t seem to get through the install on this, Should we still be going off the version 8 ones on TRAC or is there a different way now, seeing as those are kind of old.

Thanks for the help.

5. elan January 26th, 2008 8:20 am

@Martin: I’ve noticed in one or two cases that the playback is slow (e.g. Rushmore 1080p). However, in most cases, the playback should be 24 fps for a 24 fps movie. You can hit the ‘i’ button when watching to see at what fps rate the rendering is occurring. Sometimes I have noticed that the rendering rate appears to be about twice what I’d expect, and I’m not sure why that is. Very rarely I’ve noticed that I need to pause and resume to get the speed right. Is your CPU being taxed to the point where this might have something to do with it? Feel free to paste an xbmc.log from an abnormal play into pastie and post a link here.

@LavaWeb: I’ve tried to clarify the instructions on the Trac wiki page, but bear in mind that these are build-from-source instructions, and I still have not gotten a chance to check in my latest changes. Your best bet right now is to download the binary packages and then post to the forums if you still need help.

6. LavaWeb January 26th, 2008 8:40 am

Elan, thanks for the help, I’ll go that route.

7. Jasper January 26th, 2008 9:00 am

Elan, is it also supposed to work when you have an AC3 movie and no AC3 output ?
    I mean … XBMC downscales it somehow? Or does XBMC only pass it thru to the external receiver?

8. elan January 26th, 2008 9:16 am

@Jasper: XBMC does mix-down through ALSA. There is no support for mix-down (converting N-channel to 2-channel) in the OS X version right now. It’s tricky, and I don’t know when I’ll get around to it, unfortunately.

9. Lars January 27th, 2008 12:25 am

I cant play x264 or xvid with 0.0.6(only build I tried)
    I have MacBook c2d GMA950 2gig ram one yerar old.

I get this i Terminal

Input #0, avi, from ‘/Users/Slayer/Desktop/bestdivx-sexab-sample.avi’:
    Duration: 00:01:00.0, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1637 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 656×368 [PAR 1:1 DAR 41:23], 23.98 tb(r)
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
    Asked to open device: [Built-in Speaker]
    Asked to create device: [Built-in Speaker]
    Device should be digital: [0]
    Channels: [2]
    Sample Rate: [48000]
    BitsPerSample: [16]
    PacketSize: [2048]
    Including: Built-in Output
    Considering: [Built-in Output]
    Bus error
    logout

[Process completed]

only tried som xvids and 720p x264 and it crash.

10. Martin January 27th, 2008 1:10 am

Does anyone know how to delete a character in the Virtual Keyboard?

I push “i” to find the movie info and the Virtual Keyboard pops up where I can type in the name of the Movie to look for (IMDb).

If I push Backspace it just shows a [] in stead of deleting the character.

It’s really annoying, anyone know?

Thanks :)
    Martin

11. Jasper January 27th, 2008 8:05 am

Martin, try “fn” (function) and then backspace

12. elan January 27th, 2008 8:51 am

@Lars: GMA950 is not supported yet.

13. Martin January 27th, 2008 10:05 am

@elan and Jasper

Typing “fn” + Backspace (in the virtual keyboard) chrashes OSXBMC. So does pressing the left or right arrow for example. Backspace alone just makes a []. So I can’t delete characters from the movies names.

The error from the Terminal output is:

Assertion failed: ((0)), function wToUTF8, file /Volumes/Whopper/Users/elan/Code/Java/XBMC/xbmc/utils/CharsetConverter.cpp, line 460.
    Abort trap
    logout

[Process completed]

14. Chris January 27th, 2008 7:17 pm

I am currently using XBMC on my Alu iMac 24″. It is not connected to an external TV or a Receiver. It’s being used as a standalone system.

Here are a few bugs I came across on 0.0.6:

If I select Digital output, I get no audio at all from the built-in Output regardless of audio type in the video file (AC3, DTS, MP3, etc). I do however get the sounds that XBMC itself makes (startup sound, clicks and beeps, etc.). Video playback speed seems to be correct.

I would assume that if I were to connect an external AC3/DTS capable receiver to the Optical SPD/if output, then I would get audio.

If I select Analog output, then I can select the built-in output and I do get audio, but only from files encoded with MP3 or MPA or something other than AC3/DTS. When I play AC3 or DTS files, I get no audio, AND the video plays at double the frame rate usually around 60 fps. So apparently AC3 and DTS in NOT processed and output as analog.

There are other bugs like for example you can’t use any of the arrow keys, home, end, delete, PgUp, and PgDn in the virtual keyboard without crashing XBMC. Some Key combinations (mostly Option+ something) also crash it with the same error that Martin mentioned above.

I’m assuming that some of these bugs haven’t being closely looked at, as most of the development being done appears to be geared to using the Mac as a front end to a HDTV theater system.

This is probably the reason why we’re always in windowed mode rather than a “menu-less” full screen.

Nevertheless, the current progress is nothing short of amazing considering this project is only about a month old.

Keep up the good work elan, and thanks.

Chris.

15. elan January 27th, 2008 9:41 pm

@Chris: Thanks for the thoughtful review. The AC3/DTS/fast video relate to the fact that mix-down isn’t supported yet. You are correct that we are targeting home theater set-ups; as such, full-screen will be supported shortly. The virtual keyboard problems are also on my list of things to fix.

Thanks again for your kind words. Check back as we make more progress. I assume that your target environment would be using it as a media player on your Mac, with audio mixed-down to stereo?

16. Chris January 28th, 2008 6:27 am

You are correct. I would love to use XBMC on my iMac as a standalone replacement to either Front Row or XHub.

At the moment I still have a Xbox conneted to my HDTV in the living room. XBMC on it works great and other than the inability to play HD files (lack or horse power), it’s still the best media hub out there bar none. Kudos the the XBMC Team for producing such a fantastic program.

If this (XBMC Mac) project can progress to the point where I can replace the aging Xbox with something like a MacMini, then I’ll buy one, and have a solution for the living room as well, but for now, I’m really excited to see XBMC on my Mac screen.

I wish I could help in some way, but although I’ve owned Macs for nearly 20 years and PC for longer than that, I’m a complete noob when it come to Linux and coding. My only encounters with it are occasionally at work when I have to install it on a computer, but that’s fully automated and doesn’t require any “real” Linux know-how.

On the other hand people like you, know the inner workings of Unix/Linux and we, the Mac veterans that have been shielded from the inner workings of OS X can partake in the results of your work.

So yes, on behalf of those of us that enjoy the fruits of your work, THANK YOU !

Chris.

17. Chris January 28th, 2008 8:38 pm

Addendum to previous post regarding analog playback through built-in audio.

Movies with AC3 audio actually do work, as long as they are 2 channel (Stereo) only. Multichannel (5.1 AC3) does not, and the video plays fast.

DTS audio seems to work as well. I coundn’t get it to work before, and I don’t know what I did different this time, but it works now, which is strange because this is multichannel audio (7.1 DTS), yet it seems to be OK.

AAC audio does not work.

MOV reference files do not work (are ignored), Regualr MOV files (at least some of the new HD trailers) work OK, just no audio because they use AAC.

WMV files crash my Mac.

Chris/Dudeman

18. Mr T January 30th, 2008 6:25 am

How the heck do you install this thing?